Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Centre Stand or Side Stand

• 03-01-2014 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Well lads,
    With all this windy weather I've been worrying about my bike. It's parked outside the apartment and chained to a railing with a cover on it.
    Luckily enough I have it right up close to the railing as recently it has come up off its side stand and I've found it leaning against the railing. Its been leaning at about the same angle as on the side stand so no damage so far, but i'm worried that the mirror will get broken off if it keeps happening.

I've also taken the cover off on a number of the really windy days as it really catches the wind sometimes.
    Anyway, question is, would it be more stable on the centre stand??
    I'm worried that if I try it then one day i'll walk out and find that it has fallen over in the other direction.

What do you guys do yourselves when storing the bike outside? Have many of ye had your bike fall over in the wind?

Ideally in the future I will have a ground anchor of some sort at the side of the bike and will use a ratchet strap to tie in down on the side stand but I can't do this outside the apartment as I know the neighbours will report me to the management company.

Anyway, thoughts??

Cheers,
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Side stand is much more stable, a wide stance with 3 solid points of contact with the COG at a low point to the side.

On center stand you massively raise and center the center of gravity on the bike, and you have 3 points of contact on a very small stance. This means the bike can technically fall either way.

I'd face the bike into the wind if I was you and then have it as close to the fence on the right side of the bike as possible. No Cover, it's essentially just a giant sail in this weather.

But definitely dont have it on the center stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have the railings on the left hand side of the bike and get it as close as possible. Leave the bike in first gear and roll it forward to get all the slack out of the chain before putting it down on the sidestand. That way the bike can't move forward and make the sidestand fold up. You should be able to get a ratchet strap onto the railings without anyone seeing it, it shouldn't be a problem if it's just to steady the bike in very windy weather.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

When putting it on the side stand turn the bars all the way so that the front wheel is pointing to the right.
    This will increase the lean angle a bit and every bit helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

SIDE STAND ALWAYS.....ALWAYS TED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Cheers for the advice lads, sorry for the delay in replying.

Yeah I was thinking that the best option might be to ratchet some part of the frame to the railing.

Thanks again,
    Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

When putting it on the side stand turn the bars all the way so that the front wheel is pointing to the right.
    This will increase the lean angle a bit and every bit helps.

A bike should ALWAYS be parked with its wheel pointing to the side of the side stand, which is the left. Otherwise the centre of gravity is off and it's more likely to fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cheers for the advice lads, sorry for the delay in replying.

Yeah I was thinking that the best option might be to ratchet some part of the frame to the railing.

Thanks again,
    Eoin

My brother in law has a chain from the pillion rails locked to the railings outside his apartment. More to stop it falling over on inquisitive kids but works for wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

My Pan sat outside the house during the storm, was blasted by 90km/h gusts, Kept on Centre stand and never budged

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

thecivvie wrote: »
    My Pan sat outside the house during the storm, was blasted by 90km/h gusts, Kept on Centre stand and never budged

Same here, mine was at the back of the house close to a wall and on the centre stand while 90+ kmh winds hit head on. It's still there upright.

I live right beside the Atlantic here in Co. Galway. I have no wall, just sits on the drive way. I think it is a mute argument as it depends on the bike. All my bikes have lived outside, with a bike cover thrown over them and never one has fallen due to weather

• Advertisement

thecivvie wrote: »

Alot depends on where you have the bike also....and if its covered. The cover I have and the location in an L shaped alcove, the bike is like a boat with the sail in full flight. The wind gets up and under the cover and totally runs amuck. I have it ground anchored but still with 3 bungee cords the cover is half off. So alot depends on the position of the bike in relation to the wind.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Alot depends on where you have the bike also....and if its covered. The cover I have and the location in an L shaped alcove, the bike is like a boat with the sail in full flight. The wind gets up and under the cover and totally runs amuck. I have it ground anchored but still with 3 bungee cords the cover is half off. So alot depends on the position of the bike in relation to the wind.

Bike has a bike it cover on, acts like a kite. Bike was sideways onto the wind, I know as I went out a couple of times. The Pan centre stand is quite wide. I do need to sort out a ground anchor as well

Plus the Pan is a heavy sod to boot.....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Plus the Pan is a heavy sod to boot.....

Excuse me, are you saying my lady is robust :p

My Deauville used to be kept in the same spot. I do think it is just a matter of luck most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

In my case, on my heavy-ish bike, I feel my bike doesn't lean over enough when on the side stand -- probably a design feature as it would be much harder to straighten up if any lower. Because of that, I don't trust that a really strong gust of wind couldn't lift it off the side-stand and let it keel over onto the other side. Or if on a slight slope, I feel a wind could move the bike.

However, I find the centre stand extremely sturdy. On really windy days, I use the centre stand and I feel it is much safer. It would take a lot of effort for a person to try to push it over either side while on the centre stand -- which is another advantage. It's also an absolute buggar to get up onto the centre-stand in the first place (much harder than other heaver bikes I've tried like the 1200 GS)...so it might be a particuarly sturdy design compared to others, with the tradeoff that it is hard to get the bike up on.

There's mixed opinions on this, if you search the net. My guess is that there is no single best option; it depends on the bike, the side-stand and centre-stand.

rat_race wrote: »

There's mixed opinions on this, if you search the net. My guess is that there is no single best option; it depends on the bike, the side-stand and centre-stand.

Along with location and cover used. ;)

Advertisement