Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to the US from Toronto - Border Control

Options
  • 03-01-2014 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm living in Toronto on an IEC visa and need to travel to New York with work for a week at the end of the month.

I was just wondering what paperwork I will need to show border control on my entry into the states.

Obviously I have my Irish passport/Canadian visa, but do I need anything else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭smokeyjoe123

I drove from Vancouver to Seattle quite a bit, all I ever needed was my passport to get into the US and your visa to get back into Canada. If you fly, you will need to apply online for an ESTA in advance, costs about $14 and is good for two years. When driving down, I remember I always had to park up and stand in a big queue of non-Canadian citizens and fill out a form and pay $6 (US) to get through, took hours as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

If you're travelling by air you'll need your ESTA. If you're taking the train, bus or car you won't need one. I've crossed the border in Seattle (Blaine, WA) and Buffalo and all I needed was my passport. Have your 6 US dollars ready. If you want to be extra cautious you could get a letter from your employer saying they employ you and they're sending you there for work reasons. I found the border guys in Seattle and Buffalo more relaxed than at Dublin airport or Shannon. It was probably because I had a valid Canadian work visa in my passport though. I think they'll see your Canadian work visa and not give you a second thought. Every time I crossed into the US from Canada was quite quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

I travel from toronto to buffalo to satisfy my shopping needs every Summer ! I am not on a any Canadian visa, just irish passport.
    So I arrive at the border, the guy sends me around to the parking lot, I go into the office with my $6 US.
    Last summer I was called straight away and the immigration guys were busy on their FB pages to take too much notice of me. Just made a few jokes about shopaholics and sent me on my merry way. All very relaxed.
    First time I did this though there were a lot more questions so they probably have me on file as an annual shopper!!
    Queues are usually painful at the borders. Especially on the weekend.

Advertisement