Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Championship 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sligo getting the win over Limerick. Sounded like a narrow tight game.

Tipperary v Laois sounding like a bit of a mad game

Tipperary 2-14 Laois 4-6 (2nd half 56 min) Tipperary 2-14 Laois 4-6

Tipp looking out of sight at HT but Laois got 2 goals at the start of the 2nd and just got a 4th now.

Cavan v Roscommon just underway now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

12 mins gone Ros v Cavan no score

Laois 4-8 Tipperary 2-16 2nd half,68 min)

CAVAN 0-0 Roscommon 0-0 - after 10 minutes.

FT Laois 4-9 Tipperary 3-17

Cavan 0-0 Roscommon 0-1 #gaa
    Diarmuid Murtagh gets 1st point of the game after 16mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Great win for Tipp. Now they've beaten Laois and Longford, run Cork close and had a good league. They've had good underage teams lately so maybe it's coming good, I'd love to see them challenge some way in Munster.

Cavan 0-0 Roscommon 0-2 #gaa (21st min)
    Cathal Cregg gets Rossies 2nd

Sounds like a thriller....

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Cavan 0-0 Roscommon 0-2 #gaa (21st min)
    Cathal Cregg gets Rossies 2nd

Sounds like a thriller....

Cavan going ultra defensive

(1st half,28 min) Cavan 0-1 Roscommon 0-2 #gaa
    Martin Reilly from long range finally gets us on the board

(1st half,33 min) Cavan 0-2 Roscommon 0-3 #gaa

Game has really opened up the last few minutes by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

Half Time Cavan 0-2 Roscommon 0-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Half Time Cavan 0-2 Roscommon 0-3

Blankets on display there I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Blankets on display there I'd say

Torrential downpour for most of first hard and very windy - horrible conditions for football.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Torrential downpour for most of first hard and very windy - horrible conditions for football.

Much of a crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I know Tipp are on the up but Laois should be putting them away at home.
    Typical inconsistency from them.

Much of a crowd?

Unfortunately listening to radio only :mad: long standing family commitment means I'm down in Kerry.

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    I know Tipp are on the up but Laois should be putting them away at home.
    Typical inconsistency from them.

Munnelly wasnt fully fit from the bits I heard and they were getting cleaned at midfield.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Unfortunately listening to radio only :mad: long standing family commitment means I'm down in Kerry.

there's worse places you could be. ;)

there's worse places you could be. ;)

That's true!! :)

5-2 to Ros

Roscommon 5 2 up 5 mins into 2nd half - Roscommon well on top now.

• Advertisement

(2nd half,12 min) Roscommon 0-9 Cavan 0-2

Rossies on fire in the 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Roscommon all over Cavan in 2nd half.

6 points in first 12 minutes of second half

0-9 to 0-2

Roscommon under 21s beating Cavan on their own!

(2nd half,24 min) Cavan 0-3 Roscommon 0-14

Utter disaster for Cavan. Sounds like a very decent performance by the Rossies.

15-4 now.

Defensive football doesn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

16-5 final score. i would say evans is kicking himself not starting the under 21s against mayo as smith and murtagh ran cavan ragged in that second half.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was at the Sligo vs Limerick game, Sligo were the better team and deserved the win, heavy rain that started at half time ruined the quality of football but it was a thrilling second half, I'm delighted Sligo managed to scrap through a second week in a row especially after the abject second half against Galway, although the build up play is still a bit ponderous for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Was at the Sligo vs Limerick game, Sligo were the better team and deserved the win, heavy rain that started at half time ruined the quality of football but it was a thrilling second half, I'm delighted Sligo managed to scrap through a second week in a row especially after the abject second half against Galway, although the build up play is still a bit ponderous for my liking.

I really thought we'd sneak that, but it sounds like we continually took the wrong option when the game was in the melting pot. Also sounded like Sligo did deserve the win, and probably should have been further ahead but for poor shooting.

Lot of Cavan fans got very excited about beating Armagh and London last year. Time for a rethink on where they are. Missing 3 key players from Kerry last year granted but time for more realistic expectations.

Lot of Cavan fans got very excited about beating Armagh and London last year. Time for a rethink on where they are. Missing 3 key players from Kerry last year granted but time for more realistic expectations.

They beat Derry in Omagh too...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I really thought we'd sneak that, but it sounds like we continually took the wrong option when the game was in the melting pot. Also sounded like Sligo did deserve the win, and probably should have been further ahead but for poor shooting.

Sligo should have been 0-7 to 0-4 at half time but Mark Brehony missed an easy enough free when Limerick made it 0-6 each I thought that would have been a turning point, when it was 0-11 to 0-10 for Sligo, Limerick had a chance they went for goal but made a balls of the final pass, it's easy to say this now but they should have put it over, but Sligo could have won by 6 or 7 but for some dreadful attempts at the posts.

They beat Derry in Omagh too...

And? Derry whacked by Longford this year

They will have division 2 football to look forward to next year at least, so it's not as if the year is a complete write-off. Playing a better class of opposition in the league should help their developing players - their rematch against Roscommon in the league should be fun.

And? Derry whacked by Longford this year

Derry are a good side all the same.

And obviously I didn't mean Omagh... Celtic Park is what I meant. Cavan were very impressive last year, and are a good team, but Roscommon are very good too. They were by far and away the 2 best teams in Division 3 this year- obviously Roscommon have stepped it up a bit. Great win for them.

Derry are a good side all the same.

And obviously I didn't mean Omagh... Celtic Park is what I meant. Cavan were very impressive last year, and are a good team, but Roscommon are very good too. They were by far and away the 2 best teams in Division 3 this year- obviously Roscommon have stepped it up a bit. Great win for them.

Roscommon it's fair to say are going well under John Evans ; they have the advantage of having decent attackers coming through - Cavan's squad seems to be really unbalanced in terms of having decent forwards.

I wouldnt be a bit surprised to see both Roscommon and Cavan stay in Division 2 next year.

Roscommon it's fair to say are going well under John Evans ; they have the advantage of having decent attackers coming through - Cavan's squad seems to be really unbalanced in terms of having decent forwards.

I wouldnt be a bit surprised to see both Roscommon and Cavan stay in Division 2 next year.

Cavan have some super forwards on their day, but they never seem to play well together- Martin Dunne, Eugene Keating, Martin Reilly, Niall McDermott, Jack Brady... lots of talent there, but they haven't all produced together.

I would be shocked if Roscommon go down next season tbh. And if Cavan can find their form again, they won't be happy with going down either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Cavan are trying to play their best 6 forwards.
    That's not the way football works.
    You need a better balance across the forwards with workers, fielders of the ball, ball carriers and finishers.

Only 4 Leinster teams left this morning. Carlow and Kildare could potentially be gone this evening. Very poor considering the Leinster football championship has the most entrants of any provincial championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

All of the Ulster counties knocked out so far have been knocked out at the hands of Munster, Connaught and Leinster opposition.

The championship is hotting up nicely now. Between round 2 and 3 of the qualifiers there is a noticeable cull in the number of teams. Goes to show that the provincial route is the best option.

It's great to see a county like Tipperary make full use of the qualifiers. They had a good game against Cork and it only slipped away in injury time. They've carried that form into the qualifiers and have registered two wins. They are now only a game away from an All-Ireland quarter-final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Team vs Kerry last year:

Cavan: A O’Mara, T Corr, R Dunne, K Clarke, J McLoughlin, A Clarke, R Flanagan, D O’Reilly, D Givney (0-1), C Mackey (0-1), D McVeety, F Flanagan, M Reilly (0-1, ’45), M Dunne (0-1), E Keating (0-2, 2f).

7 of that starting line up were missing yesterday, including 3 of the lads won Ulster All Stars. Rory Dunne the full back was MoM in that game and was also one of the seven.

We were also missing supporting panel members like Kevin Tierney.

I still would have had Ros down to beat us but while we've a strong panel we were unfortunate to be missing alot of our key players at one time.

Armagh 0-13 Tyrone 0-10

While RTE are gushing over Munster hurling the result of the weekend is in Healey Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone know when the draw for the next round is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Anyone know when the draw for the next round is?
    I'd presume the draw is at 8:30 tomorrow morning.

So Far:

Qualifiers A Side Final Round:

Cork v Sligo, Galway v Tipperary to be played the 26th/27th of July .

Qualifiers B side (Second Last Round):
    Clare/Armagh/Roscommon/Kildare to be drawn tomorrow morning. Played next weekend (19th/20th of July)

Winners of those games to be drawn against losers of Leinster and Ulster finals. To be played the weekend of the 2nd of August

Quarter Finals involving Kerry and Mayo to be held the weekend of the 2nd/3rd August.
    Quarter finals involving Leinster/Ulster winners will be the Weekend after 9th/10th August.

The Gaa Wall chart have it for the 2nd and the 9th which would both be Saturday's.

Croke Parks website has it fixed for the 3rd and 10th which are Sundays.

Fixtures will be fixed at a later date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Armagh 0-13 Tyrone 0-10

While RTE are gushing over Munster hurling the result of the weekend is in Healey Park

Didn't see that one coming, good turn around from Grimley and Co. From last season. I'm not one to call for managers heads but I'd have to wonder if it's Mickeys time to go.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Didn't see that one coming, good turn around from Grimley and Co. From last season. I'm not one to call for managers heads but I'd have to wonder if it's Mickeys time to go.

I think Mickey a bit like Sean Boylan has stayed on a season or so too long. I can't see him leaving off his own accord though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If (and hopefully it's a big if), Meath lose to Dublin next weekend and Kildare win their qualifier, will that mean that both of them can't meet in the 4th round? This new qualifier system is confusing me no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Also I was wondering as well, are the quarter finals restricted to the A and B qualifier groups?

What I mean is do we know if say the Leinster provincial winner will be playing a team that came out of the B side of the qualifier draw say or can their opponent come out of either group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Also I was wondering as well, are the quarter finals restricted to the A and B qualifier groups?

What I mean is do we know if say the Leinster provincial winner will be playing a team that came out of the B side of the qualifier draw say or can their opponent come out of either group?

Cork Kerry mayo Galway Sligo tipp on one side all the way to the final
    Dublin Meath donegal Monaghan and B qualifiers on other side all way to final .......
    Certainly favours the A side
    Dublin could have to beat both donegal and Monaghan . Teams that's could catch them.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Dublin v Kerry final.

The final every one wants. The creme de la creme.
    Was really hoping the split would work like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If (and hopefully it's a big if), Meath lose to Dublin next weekend and Kildare win their qualifier, will that mean that both of them can't meet in the 4th round? This new qualifier system is confusing me no end.

Indeed it is. It's already up on the GAA website that in 'A' it's Cork v Sligo and Galway v Tipperary -no draw needed as this was the only combination possible.

If, and it's a big if, Monaghan and Meath lose next weekend and Armagh and Kildare come through Round 3B, then it would be Meath v Armagh and Monaghan v Kildare with no draw.

Looking further ahead...assuming Cork and Galway win, it would be Kerry v Galway and Mayo v Cork, again, no draw as this is the only allowed combination.

And, if Meath beat Armagh and Monaghan beat Kildare, then it would be Donegal v Meath and Dublin v Monaghan.

But this is extreme whataboutery!

• Advertisement
Advertisement