Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Championship 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Indeed it is. It's already up on the GAA website that in 'A' it's Cork v Sligo and Galway v Tipperary -no draw needed as this was the only combination possible.

If, and it's a big if, Monaghan and Meath lose next weekend and Armagh and Kildare come through Round 3B, then it would be Meath v Armagh and Monaghan v Kildare with no draw.

Looking further ahead...assuming Cork and Galway win, it would be Kerry v Galway and Mayo v Cork, again, no draw as this is the only allowed combination.

And, if Meath beat Armagh and Monaghan beat Kildare, then it would be Donegal v Meath and Dublin v Monaghan.

But this is extreme whataboutery!

All I can do is pray your correct. According to the Kildare thread Meath won't stand a chance against this mighty resurgent Kildare team. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Slattsy wrote: »
    Dublin v Kerry final.

The final every one wants. The creme de la creme.
    Was really hoping the split would work like that.

Your dead right

Anything other than a Kerry v Dublin final would be a pure let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

iDave wrote: »
    All I can do is pray your correct. According to the Kildare thread Meath won't stand a chance against this mighty resurgent Kildare team. :D

Oh it's that time of year again! I haven't seen enough of Kildare this year but impressive win yesterday. As for Dublin Kerry final, I hope not, could be a very short final as I think the Dubs would maul them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Your dead right

Anything other than a Kerry v Dublin final would be a pure let down.

Quoted for posterity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hee hee :)

Looking forward to round 4. Perversely one of my favourite rounds of the championship. Mainly for the mish-mash of teams you can get. A combination of wounded provincial losers, highly fancied teams recovering from an earlier defeat and underdogs looking to make a breakthrough.

On the A side:

Cork v Sligo

Galway v Tipp

On the B side

Anyone from Kildare, Clare, Roscommon, Armagh, Dublin, Meath, Monaghan and Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Looking forward to round 4. Perversely one of my favourite rounds of the championship. Mainly for the mish-mash of teams you can get. A combination of wounded provincial losers, highly fancied teams recovering from an earlier defeat and underdogs looking to make a breakthrough.

On the A side:

Cork v Sligo

Galway v Tipp

On the B side

Anyone from Kildare, Clare, Roscommon, Armagh, Dublin, Meath, Monaghan and Donegal.

The A side still looks very weak tbh. It's nice to see Tipp get this far but I hope the qualifiers won't end up this lopsided every year.

Lemlin wrote: »
    The A side still looks very weak tbh. It's nice to see Tipp get this far but I hope the qualifiers won't end up this lopsided every year.

Even better would be that they don't keep the A and B system at all.

I would not be one bit surprised if Sligo and Tipp win the Rnd 4A games.

Tipp have a bit of a head of steam built up, beat a Laois team that would not be too far off Galway.

Cork had a horrendous Munster final and it's hard to know where exactly they are at.
    Will the dual players will play ? I'm sure prep for a Al SF, even though a month away, is higher on the totem pole than a qualifier v Sligo.

Even though the losing provincial finalists no longer have a 6 day turn around it is still difficult to pull yourself up after losing a provincial final, and in both cases Cork and Galway were well beaten on the day.

There were encouraging signs from Galway though, if they'd taken half their chances they might have made a real game of it, depends which Galway shows up. Any complacency and Tipp will take them. I suppose the problem with the draw is putting the Munster and Connaught losers on the same side of the draw. They are the 2 smallest provinces and really shouldn't be paired together.

Was the draw made for the B side yet?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    There were encouraging signs from Galway though, if they'd taken half their chances they might have made a real game of it, depends which Galway shows up. Any complacency and Tipp will take them. I suppose the problem with the draw is putting the Munster and Connaught losers on the same side of the draw. They are the 2 smallest provinces and really shouldn't be paired together.

Was the draw made for the B side yet?

Draw for B Rnd 3 is Clare v Kildare and Armagh v Roscommon
    Winners play Dublin\Meath\Donegal\Monaghan in Rnd 4
    Don't think Meath can play Kildare or Monaghan can play Armagh

Next year Connaught and Leinster will be one side, Munster and Ulster the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

If Kerry play Galway/Tipp i hope to god they fix it for Limerick instead of drawing supporters all the way to Dublin.
    Kerry fans are notorious poor travelers on August Bank holiday weekend due to the high number of people employed in the hospitality/tourism sector. I would imagine Galway would be the same.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    If Kerry play Galway/Tipp i hope to god they fix it for Limerick instead of drawing supporters all the way to Dublin.
    Kerry fans are notorious poor travelers on August Bank holiday weekend due to the high number of people employed in the hospitality/tourism sector. I would imagine Galway would be the same.

No chance of that happening. The QF between Kerry and Limerick a few years ago was in Dublin. All the QFs are played in CP, possibly to make it more attractive for corporate sponsors to buy a box.
    Personally I think provincial champions should have home advantage or home province advantage at QF stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

the players want to play in croke park from august on as well. its not all about us supporters :D they probably like to get a feel for it before a possible semi and final. Especially if they are going to be playing dublin in a final!!!!
    Anyway its a double header in Croker on the Sunday and is also RTES double header. Id imagine 2 and 4 pm throw ins. Looking forward to it :)
    The Leinster/Ulster double header is live on Sky so is a saturday double header prob meaning 5 and 7 pm throw ins. Now that is annoying for Ulster teams supporters!!!!

km79 wrote: »
    the players want to play in croke park from august on as well. its not all about us supporters

What is most important to the GAA when setting fixtures?

Attendance
    Convenience of both supporters
    Players who like playing in Croker

What is most important to the GAA when setting fixtures?

Attendance
    Convenience of both supporters
    Players who like playing in Croker

Selling corporate boxes

No chance of that happening. The QF between Kerry and Limerick a few years ago was in Dublin. All the QFs are played in CP, possibly to make it more attractive for corporate sponsors to buy a box.
    Personally I think provincial champions should have home advantage or home province advantage at QF stage.

Since the second year of the qualifiers, 2002, all QFs have been in Croke Park.
    It's based on the idea that provincial champions get to play in Croke Park, as in the pre qualifier days

Back in 2001 QFs were played at neutral venues, Roscommon lost to Galway (whom they had already beaten in Connaught) in Castlebar. and thus they never got the chance to play in Croke Park

And as in 2011 with Limerick would you deny Tipp senior footballers the chance to play in Croke Park for the first time since 1935 ?

And as in 2011 with Limerick would you deny Tipp senior footballers the chance to play in Croke Park for the first time since 1935 ?

Jaysus Tipp played there in a div 4 final only a few weeks ago

It's based on the idea that provincial champions get to play in Croke Park, as in the pre qualifier days

Back in 2001 QFs were played at neutral venues, Roscommon lost to Galway (whom they had already beaten in Connaught) in Castlebar. and thus they never got the chance to play in Croke Park

All good points. Personally I'd like to see an additional reward for winning your provincial championship then just a trophy. Everyone talks of them losing their meaning, well that would give a huge incentive to win.
    Would also help fill a lot of those so called white elephants around the country as well as the New Casement and PUCs on the way.

All good points. Personally I'd like to see an additional reward for winning your provincial championship then just a trophy. Everyone talks of them losing their meaning, well that would give a huge incentive to win.
    Would also help fill a lot of those so called white elephants around the country as well as the New Casement and PUCs on the way.

Yes the home advantage would be a huge incentive,But say for instance Kildare/Louth won Leinster how could they host a home game? They would have to nominate an alternative ground.

• Advertisement

Tipp also played Donegal in 03 IIRC, what you call him! from Tipp had a great game.

03 replay between Donegal and Galway was also in Castlebar, funny it has had 2 Q/F's, Thurles had one between Dublin and Kerry, 01 or so, if I'm correct.

Still, I agree with your point, especially for "weaker" counties. It's a bit like junior and intermediate club AI's in Croker, small attendances but that isn't what it's about. Croker is still a very impressive stadium and with the Railway Cup getting shunted around so much, these are great opportunities for lesser profile players.

The other thing is €25/30 for 2 AI Q/F matches is tremendous value.

Tipp also played Donegal in 03 IIRC, what you call him! from Tipp had a great game.

03 replay between Donegal and Galway was also in Castlebar, funny it has had 2 Q/F's, Thurles had one between Dublin and Kerry, 01 or so, if I'm correct.

Still, I agree with your point, especially for "weaker" counties. It's a bit like junior and intermediate club AI's in Croker, small attendances but that isn't what it's about. Croker is still a very impressive stadium and with the Railway Cup getting shunted around so much, these are great opportunities for lesser profile players.

I guess there can be an argument when some of the "weaker" counties are involved but look the likely hood is that the QF will be

Galway v Kerry
    Mayo v Cork

None of these sides are strangers to Croker so the novelty of playing there would be gone. A double header in Limerick would be full to the rafters as it would only be a hours drive from most parts of Galway,Cork and Kerry

Yes the home advantage would be a huge incentive,But say for instance Kildare/Louth won Leinster how could they host a home game? They would have to nominate an alternative ground.

In those scenarios they would have to nominate a different ground be it CP or Portlaoise depending on how well the opposition is supported.
    A stand alone football QF in Killarney, Gaelic Grounds, new PUC, Thurles, Portlaoise, Castlebar, Salthill, Clones or new Casement would have a rocking atmosphere.
    Some of these non-Dublin QFs can get lost in CP.

I'm referring to senior championship only, and it's something that an advocate of Tipp going to Croke Park would certainly use.

The case for Limerick was stronger in 2011, some suggested that it be held in Munster but no one was going to deny Limerick a first every chance to play senior championship in Croke Park

I don't think Tipp played senior championship in Croke Park in '03.

And I don't necessarily agree with the idea that all QFs have to be in Croke Park.
    If for example a weaker county win a provincial championship by all means put it in Croke Park, (as was the argument back in '01/'02) but their should be more leeway when your Champions are the likes of Mayo, Kerry and Dublin.

But it's unlikely to change anytime soon, remember they are playing league semi-finals in Croke Park, even when Dublin are not involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

And played a qualifier there against Donegal a few years ago too, when Declan Browne played in Croke Park for the first time and turned in a superb performance. Shame we didn't get to see more of him on the big stage.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    And played a qualifier there against Donegal a few years ago too,

Tommy Murphy Final was played there also.

• Advertisement

I'm referring to senior championship only, and it's something that an advocate of Tipp going to Croke Park would certainly use.

The case for Limerick was stronger in 2011, some suggested that it be held in Munster but no one was going to deny Limerick a first every chance to play senior championship in Croke Park

I don't think Tipp played senior championship in Croke Park in '03.

And I don't necessarily agree with the idea that all QFs have to be in Croke Park.
    If for example a weaker county win a provincial championship by all means put it in Croke Park, (as was the argument back in '01/'02) but their should be more leeway when your Champions are the likes of Mayo, Kerry and Dublin.

But it's unlikely to change anytime soon, remember they are playing league semi-finals in Croke Park, even when Dublin are not involved.
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    And played a qualifier there against Donegal a few years ago too, when Declan Browne played in Croke Park for the first time and turned in a superb performance. Shame we didn't get to see more of him on the big stage.

This.

Devenney in 03 got a goal half way through the second half for us to pull away, he might have got another near the end, not sure. Brian McEniff was very complimentary on Browne afterwards.

This.

Devenney in 03 got a goal half way through the second half for us to pull away, he might have got another near the end, not sure. Brian McEniff was very complimentary on Browne afterwards.

Ok I see it now, Rnd 3 2003, what an odd game to have in Croke Park.

Apologies to all Tipp football fans out there

km79 wrote: »
    the players want to play in croke park from august on as well. its not all about us supporters :D they probably like to get a feel for it before a possible semi and final. Especially if they are going to be playing dublin in a final!!!!
    Anyway its a double header in Croker on the Sunday and is also RTES double header. Id imagine 2 and 4 pm throw ins. Looking forward to it :)
    The Leinster/Ulster double header is live on Sky so is a saturday double header prob meaning 5 and 7 pm throw ins. Now that is annoying for Ulster teams supporters!!!!

I wonder would they be inclined to put two double headers on the Bank Holiday weekend
    i.e mix the A side Quarter Final with the B side Rnd 4, one of each on the Saturday, and one of each on the Sunday.

They have played Rnd 4 games there in the past, they had a triple header there last year.

That would suit me down to the ground.

The following week as pointed out will be a Saturday evening job, with the 7pm likely being Dublin, they have played their QF at 7pm for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Tipp played Dublin in Croke Park in 2010 qualifiers also

Joekers wrote: »
    Tipp played Dublin in Croke Park in 2010 qualifiers also

wow I really got that one wrong.

Tipp don't deserve to play in Croke Park at that rate of going

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's the chances of Armagh beating Roscommon in the qualifiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

awec wrote: »

Hopefully slim!
    I want to see the Rossies in Croker, they have one of the best sets of supporters in the country.

Every chance. They come in to it having beaten Cavan and Tyrone and drawn with Monaghan. They went into all those games as underdogs and came out the better. I can certainly see them out muscling Roscommon in the physical stakes.
    I think it will be their 4th weekend in a row though so the old argument of momentum/fatigue will be an issue.
    The Rossies acquitted themselves very well against Mayo and did very well to put up the score they did away to Cavan.
    Actually this is an intriguing tussle.

So sounds like a 50/50 tie.

What's the deal then with going through then? Winner plays the winner of the Dublin v Meath game, so likely to be Dublin at Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Every chance. Any side that can beat Tyrone in omagh and hold them to just two points from play will fancy their chances of reaching all Ireland quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

60:40 to Roscommon.

The Rossies are a better unit but Armagh are dogged and in Clarke they have got a seriously brilliant player on their hands.

Put it this way, they'll both strongly fancy themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Are the dates for the QF's definite? Mayo V Cork/Sligo on Aug 3rd?

Are the dates for the QF's definite? Mayo V Cork/Sligo on Aug 3rd?

Definitely the weekend on 2nd 3rd, but no guarantee of the day.

Possibly they will play a Rnd 4 B with each QF thus making it a two day event, but if not it will be Sunday 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Limerick getting to a quarter-final was great for us..... did the fact that it was actually played in Croke Park make a difference? There's the whole "getting to Croke Park" thing which we had tried so long to achieve, but failed. But then the crowd was so small on the day, and we failed to produce... so that was disappointing.

From a pure atmosphere pov, the quarter-finals being held elsewhere is probably better, unless you can be sure you're going to sell 50k+ tickets.

I think Tipp will beat Galway tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What's the deal then with going through then? Winner plays the winner of the Dublin v Meath game, so likely to be Dublin at Croke Park?

Really? I thought the Leinster champ plays the winner of the game featuring the losing Ulster finalist? Which would probably have been Monaghan/Donegal. Just shows what I know! :rolleyes:

Would some kind soul feel inclined to throw up the last round of the qualifiers and potential quarter finals por favor?

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Really? I thought the Leinster champ plays the winner of the game featuring the losing Ulster finalist? Which would probably have been Monaghan/Donegal. Just shows what I know! :rolleyes:

Would some kind soul feel inclined to throw up the last round of the qualifiers and potential quarter finals por favor?

Sorry yes I have it wrong, they would play the loser of the Leinster championship in round 4B, not the winner. They'd then play the winner in the quarter final if they get through that (I think!).

Qualifying round 3B:

Roscommon v Armagh
    Clare v Kildare

Qualifying 4B:

Leinster Runner up v 3B winner
    Ulster runner up v 3B winner

Quarter final:

Leinster winner v 4B winner
    Ulster winner v 4B winner

Am I right in thinking that you can't play a team you've already played? So what happens if Donegal beat Monaghan and Dublin beat Meath, and Armagh and Kildare win? Monaghan and Armagh have already met, as have Kildare and Meath? Or am I wrong there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Am I right in thinking that you can't play a team you've already played? So what happens if Donegal beat Monaghan and Dublin beat Meath, and Armagh and Kildare win?

Armagh would play Meath and Kildare would play Monaghan.

Armagh would play Meath and Kildare would play Monaghan.

Doh! Yea. Too confusing this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Oh it's that time of year again! I haven't seen enough of Kildare this year but impressive win yesterday. As for Dublin Kerry final, I hope not, could be a very short final as I think the Dubs would maul them.
    Dont know about that-i think Kerry are probably the best equipped of any team to beat them. They are some football county, they just keep producing new brilliant players and their established ones never seem to dip in form. I know Cork were woeful but was still pretty impressive display.

Every chance. Any side that can beat Tyrone in omagh and hold them to just two points from play will fancy their chances of reaching all Ireland quarter final.
    Dont think theyve been near one since 08. Id probably go with Roscommon in this one at home.

The great Declan Browne-as good as any of the top forwards from the modern era,retired q young too. Feel very sorry for great players in weak teams-never get the opportunity they deserve. Shoulda won the 02 Munster final against Cork-blew a big lead late on.

I guess there can be an argument when some of the "weaker" counties are involved but look the likely hood is that the QF will be

Galway v Kerry
    Mayo v Cork

None of these sides are strangers to Croker so the novelty of playing there would be gone. A double header in Limerick would be full to the rafters as it would only be a hours drive from most parts of Galway,Cork and Kerry
    Yeah I think this is one occasion when u could possibly do this-might actually get a few supporters from Cork,Galway and Kerry travellin for once. Whats the capacity of Limerick and how much seated?

Not sure if Mayo would fancy it though.

This pre-ordained draw takes a bit of the fun out of it. Fair enough its to avoid the whole 6 day thing for beaten prov finalists, but I really miss tuning in to see the qf draw after the last qualifier. Also with teams having already met theres practically no draw at all from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hate the idea of moving the quarter final double headers out of Croker,used to head up both days over the August bank holiday weekend when domiciled in the capital and invariably got to enjoy some quality games.

Tremendous value for double headers,nothing beats Croker as a venue...even now love the trip up from Mayo,catch up with all the mates and have a blast.Definitely believe the players,most especially the provincial winners should get to enjoy their day out in Croker.
    Wonderful that great exponents of the game from so called weaker counties ak Declan Browne may be afforded the opportunity to demonstrate their skills in Croke Park.

Tipping wins for Cork,Tipperary(on a roll) and Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

harpsman wrote: »
    Dont know about that-i think Kerry are probably the best equipped of any team to beat them. They are some football county, they just keep producing new brilliant players and their established ones never seem to dip in form. I know Cork were woeful but was still pretty impressive display.

It's their arrogance too. Good arrogance by the way, this isn't a slight on them by any means.

Kerry go to croke park and it's their stadium. The tradition they have and what have you seems to get more out of them when you'd think they're in for a mauling. Although as is always said tradition only gets you so far.

JOC was sensational at the Munster final but Cork didn't exactly cover themselves with glory. With the right draw they could stroll into the last 4 but beyond that, I think Mayo, Donegal, Dublin would all be in a position to beat them.

Advertisement