Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4od and ITV Player on Samsung Smart TV

• 03-01-2014 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Recently got a Samsung Smart TV and have it set up with Overplay DNS, meaning I can change region etc.

While I am having no issues with Netflix, and can watch BBC iPlayer through the TV's browser, I am having no luck with getting 4od or ITV player to work.

4od just give me a spinning circle when I try and play something, while ITV player doesn't seem to want to work at all, never mind giving a spinning circle.

Has anyone had any luck with these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Recently got a Samsung Smart TV and have it set up with Overplay DNS, meaning I can change region etc.

While I am having no issues with Netflix, and can watch BBC iPlayer through the TV's browser, I am having no luck with getting 4od or ITV player to work.

4od just give me a spinning circle when I try and play something, while ITV player doesn't seem to want to work at all, never mind giving a spinning circle.

Has anyone had any luck with these?

both work fine for me using unblockus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi, did anyone set up a second "pure" router to use "overplay" or "unblockUS".

If so, how did you do this?????

I presume you can just get a pure router (without modem) in Maplins etc.

I have been advised to set-up a second router:
    - allow me to connect all my media devices to play Netflix, BBC player etc
    - provide a better lever of security. Eg main pc/laptop could be set to main router to allow secure access to Bank accounts etc.

I believe, one can set-up the overplay/unblock separately on each advice.
    Maybe this is a better way to go but I have:
    Wireless Samsung Blueray
    PS3
    Wii
    Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Several Android Phones
    Android Smart TV Dongle
    2 x PC & 2 Laptops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'm not sure a pure router gives any better security than a modem router.
    If you want one though, you just need to connect any of the output slots of the main modem/router (there should be a few) to the input of the pure router using a LAN cable. You then need to configure the pure router as you like. This normally means browsing to the IP address of the router in a web browser (the default IP address is different for each router type).

You can setup the DNS service on several devices using a single account as long as they are all connecting to the internet using the same router.
    Personally, I find it easier to just reconfigure the router than have to reconfigure every device I want to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Thanks dubrov,

The advice to set-up second router came from "Unblock"
    I believe the reasoning behind the second router is
    - too many individual devices to set-up separately (as you suggest yourself)
    - the ISP issued router, MAY not work as efficiently with Unblock
    - prevents issues when logging into security sensitive sites eg. Bank etc. (may have conflicts with Unblock)

I'm a novice at this - So I'm now presuming the process would be:

Second Router/second wireless network

- Connect Second "pure" router, which will allow the creation of a new wireless network - "Media1"
    - Access & change the IP addresses on the second router, as detailed by DNS service provided
    - Connect the media devices to the new network
    - New network could be set up on different channel????
    - Existing network (Home) can be used for other processes

Presuming that a new router will cost about €40
    Is there any real advantages to doing this? Is it worth spending €40 as well as the monthly sub to Unblock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭dubrov

Hi Bravobabe,

I have a UPC router (Technicolor I think) and have had no issues. It is fairly straightforward to update the DNS settings. I'd say unblock suggested a second router as some ISPs may not allow DNS settings to be adjusted.

I think the DNS service should act as normal for non-geoblocked sites and is no less secure than a direct connection.

If it works for you on your current router, I can't really see the need for a second one

• Advertisement
Advertisement