Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worked Christmas Day

Options
  • 03-01-2014 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,
    I worked on Christmas Day. I only received a single rate of pay, but the guy I worked with got triple pay. My contract is different to his, stating that I only get single pay for working public/bank holidays, and that I'll get extra leave in compensations (rarely happens apparently). He's been with the company for a good few years so the contracts have changed god knows how many times. My question is, is legal to pay two people different rates for working the same job? Doesn't seen very fair that he got three times the amount of money I got for doing the exact same thing!!
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Have you worked 40 hours in the past 5 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gaynorstephen

The 4 weeks previous I had worked, 39hrs, 37hrs, 42.5hrs and 41hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

Sorry I can't be of much more help. If you do not get this resolved you should seek advice from an employment solicitor, hopefully it doesn't come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gaynorstephen

Thanks for the help, ill pop into the local CIC office the next chance I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My question is, is legal to pay two people different rates for working the same job? Doesn't seen very fair that he got three times the amount of money I got for doing the exact same thing!!
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

We cannot give legal advice here ...

But yes, it is. Happens all the time. As you said, he's on an old contract, you're on a newer one with less favourable terms - but which you agreed to when you accepted the job.

What would be illegal is to change the other guys contract without his agreement.

Yes it sucks. But that's life. Your choices are to either re-negotiate your contract, or get another job.

But yes, as per the link you were given, if you worked a bank holiday and have worked for X hours in the previous Y weeks, then you are entitled to a days paid leave in lieu. Make sure you take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OP - if you don't think that you will get the additional day's paid leave, you can take an additional day's pay instead. So effectively you get double time for working that day. Might sound a bit better in your head too.

See NERA website.
    http://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/What_You_Should_Know/Working_Hours_Leave_and_Public_Holidays/

Advertisement