Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why pay DD and SO when funds not in account

Options
  • 03-01-2014 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I am beyond furious if the funds are not in my account can you please not pay  direct debits and standing orders that come through at that time. I am a single out of work mother and now my account is in minus figures because of this as not only have you let the the direct debits out you have also charged me 10 euros for each one. Why if the money is not in my account do you pay it????  Not the mention your notified fees are absolute daylight robbery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi scrappyshelly,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy.

The charges you mention are applied when an account goes into an unauthorised overdraft. They are charged as follows:

First item per quarter - no charge
    Second and third items per quarter - €3.50 each
    Fourth and fifth items per quarter - €5
    Sixth and subsequent items per quarter - €10 each

As you are now being charged €10 per item, this would suggest that this is not the first time the account has been in an unauthorised overdraft within this fee quarter. 

If you do not have enough money in your account to cover upcoming standing orders and direct debits that you have set up, we would suggest contacting a Customer Advisor in your branch , who will be more than happy to advise.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scrappyshelly

Hi scrappyshelly,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy.

The charges you mention are applied when an account goes into an unauthorised overdraft. They are charged as follows:

First item per quarter - no charge
    Second and third items per quarter - €3.50 each
    Fourth and fifth items per quarter - €5
    Sixth and subsequent items per quarter - €10 each

As you are now being charged €10 per item, this would suggest that this is not the first time the account has been in an unauthorised overdraft within this fee quarter. 

If you do not have enough money in your account to cover upcoming standing orders and direct debits that you have set up, we would suggest contacting a Customer Advisor in your branch , who will be more than happy to advise.

Thanks
    Tara
    I understand the charge for unauthorised OD but my arguement is why let the dd be paid in the first place if funds are not there. No other bank does this they send message back to the company looking for DD say insufficient funds and individual gets charged unpaid dd fee instead wheres as ye pay the dd plus then charge the fee. I have cancelled  my dds for future in favour of pay my self online but that doesnt help me this week.  And what is the deal with the notified fees i got charged 57 euro back in september and 57 euro on the 31st of jan. its ridiculous to have to pay such a large amount especially just after christmas 

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

By signing up for direct debit, you're effectively authorising the bank to do this on your behalf. It's part of the T's & C's of the direct debit service.

It's worth noting that if BOI reject the direct debits due to insufficient funds, they will you charge you a bounced transaction fee, which will be more than €10. So they are providing you with the cheapest option here.

As mentioned, this appears to be a recurring problem for you. So what you should do is cancel your direct debits and manage the payments directly. This will avoid any overdraft charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi scrappyshelly,

These decisions are made on a case by case basis. We would always be mindful of the embarrassment that can be caused to a customer if their direct debits are returned unpaid. 

If you would like a note placed on your account, stating that items are not to be paid when there is insufficient funds, you can request this with your branch. As correctly mentioned by Seamus, if any direct debits or standing orders are returned unpaid you would be charged €12.70 per item. 

It would be possible, in this type of situation, to contact the company/companies directly to request they do not present for the direct debit. It is also possible to place a hold on a standing order, provided it is not an agreed payment to a loan account. A hold can be placed or removed on 365Online or by calling BOI365 on 0818 365 365.

In June 2013 Bank of Ireland notified all Personal Current Account holders that we were launching a new fee structure from the fee quarter starting 19/08/2013. We issued emails, there was an interrupt message when logging on to 365 Online, a message printed on the bottom of statements, in branch signage and press notifications to advise of this. We also had a sticky here on Boards.

Information on the new fee structure and tips on how to save on fees can be viewed here.

We will pass on your comments regarding the date that current account quarterly fees are deducted.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement