Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 36 players in 8 league games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 League Games

Cooper, Jonny 8
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 7+1
    O'Gara, Eoghan 5+3
    Cluxton, Stephen 7
    McMahon, Philip 7
    McManamon, Kevin 7
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 2+5
    Nelson, Darragh 2+5
    O'Sullivan, Cian 6
    Brogan, Alan 5+1
    Reddin, Ciaran 5+1
    Nolan, Kevin 3+3
    McCaffrey, Jack 2+4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 5
    McCarthy, James 5
    Andrews, Paddy 4+1
    Brady, Tomas 2+3
    Cullen, Bryan 4
    George, Sean 4
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 4
    Costello, Cormac 3+1
    Carty, Shane 2+2
    Whelan, Jason 2+2
    Devereux, Nicky 1+3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 3
    Flynn, Paul 3
    O'Carroll, Rory 3
    Lowndes, Eric 3
    Daly, Darren 2+1
    O'Mahony, Declan 2+1
    Hudson, Paul 1+2
    Currie, Sean 1+1
    Mannion, Paul 0+2
    Brogan, Bernard 0+1
    O'Brien, Kevin 0+1
    Watson, Daniel 0+1

Dublin have scored 11-119(152) and conceded 10-107(137) in 8 league games. Scorers 2014 League Games

McManamon, Kevin 2-17
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3-5
    Connolly, Diarmuid 1-9
    Brogan, Alan 0-10
    Costello, Cormac 0-10
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-9
    Andrews, Paddy 1-8
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2-2
    Hudson, Paul 0-7
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-6
    Whelan, Jason 1-3
    Brogan, Bernard 0-5
    Reddin, Ciaran 0-5
    McCarthy, James 1-1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 0-3
    Carty, Shane 0-3
    Cooper, Jonny 0-3
    Cullen, Bryan 0-2
    Flynn, Paul 0-2
    Mannion, Paul 0-2
    McMahon, Philip 0-2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-2
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0-1
    Nelson, Darragh 0-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

My jaysis wasn't it cold in Croker? - was out of the house for 8 o clock yesterday morning bringing the young lads to the Dublin development trials and for the 1st time in memory rather than going home afterwards and coming back in, I waited for the turnstiles to open in Croker. Sat in the Cusack doin my frostie the snowman impression, warmed slightly early on by Derrys performance and in particular Lynch & McKaigue. That glow quickly abated when our match started - 15 strangers on the field getting to know one another while Cork just sniped and darted around them. I've always had an admiration for Corks forward play but couldn't appreciate their finer points yesterday while lost and befuddled at the total lack of organisation in the Dublin ranks. My mood wasn't helped by the late arrival of the crowd next to me, who unlike me had a nice Sunday dinner of I'd say a gallon pints while watching the soccer and their sole contribution was tellin me yer man is "phukinshih" .. O'Mahony phukinshih, Whelan phukinshih.

My halftime routine when there's a small crowd in Croker is generally to spot a few vacant spaces in the Hogan and wander over there to aid the quick getaway at fulltime. I knew if I started to wander yesterday I'd keep going out the Jones' Road into the car with heater full blast and home, the Hogan was in complete shadow so it was gonna be colder than the Cusack, for better or worse I nailed me arse to the seat and strapped on the seatbelt for what I expected to be more of the same 2nd half.... the rest is history... I didn't see that coming... I even hugged yer man when Connolly scored ... certainly didn't see that coming :D

Random thoughts ... we might be a bit more circumspect in criticising stand in goalkeepers (Supple, Savage and Currie), when the best out there adds their own clanger to the hall of shame.

Cian O' Sullivans absence yesterday had a knock on effect of 3-4 guys playing in positions not suited to their style of play.

MDM when he switched on was the heart and soul of Dublin football he pulled each and every player by the lugs to give another 20%.

Diarmuid Connolly can fill the gap left this year by the greatest of them all as the ginger headed one recuperates in Killarney - marmite to some but the finest footballer in this country left on 2 legs ;)

Eoghan O'Garas improvement is immeasurable compared to the bambi on ice we saw a couple of years ago - nothing better demonstrated how far he's come than the point he scored turning back in on his left to clip it over the bar.

I purposely haven't called for O'Gara to start every match in light of a comment I heard yesterday - that Jim Gavin likes for his strongest 15 players to be on the field at the end of every match. Eoghan O' Gara should finish every match.

Finally to finish, I thought there were 3 worthwhile comments from respected analysts of the game - Eugene McGee said that he doubts there's a team that can beat Dublin over 70 minutes, while there are those that can beat them for prolonged periods of general play in a game.

Colm O'Rourke remarked that Dublin are head and shoulders above all the other challengers

and Vincent Hogan ended his article with the simple closer "For now, it's Dublin's world . The rest of us just live in it."

Come to think of it 12 hours out the house and frostbite in my toes was all worth it yesterday

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Great day and cold as well alright. Not impressed personally at the press reaction, dubs were erratic and not reliable coming in according to the press, nothing really changed and now we are world beaters. Meanwhile Cork and Mayo are nearly written off after average days out.

The press can't seem to help the massive overreaction to every result.

All in all it was an enjoyable day, and with McCaffrey and Costello to come back, along with hopefully Mannion reappearing and finding form it's hopeful for Dublin. The back 6 is looking better with a few options and Brennan to come back, but still lacking concentration on occasion. Midfield is still an issue, with the search for options not really yeilding great results so far. It still looks like O'sulivan and MDMA with Flynn and Connolly coming back to field kick out each side looks like the best option. With Flynn, or McCarthy possibly filling in when required the likely backup. I'd like to see Bastick and even Fennell brought in as subs at least now for that option. Nicky Dev did well in last two games and has the pace to make itin this team also, but probably off bench.

Up front we have quite a few options now, starting looks relatively clear cut in my opinion. O'Gara, brogan, Andrews, Flynn, brogan, Connolly. With Andrews position the one up for grabs, Mannion, Kevin Mc, Costello fighting for it. All quality players, and any could start easily. Cullen has shown he has plenty still this season in my opinion also, with some classy sensible play and Davy Byrne has shown a real appetite for hoovering up breaking ball, but leaves a gap on one side for fielding that is too hard to overcome imo, he is more suited to sub to come on when it's not such an issue and running is required.

Feeding the U21s back in to the setup now is the slightly tricky thing to time, would have been nice to see some of them get a big game like the semi or final as the next big one one at same pace is probably not for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cork are a side with good forwards but a very weak MF and an unsettled defence.
    Dublin would not have come back against a battle hardened outfit like Donegal.

Eh....'scuse me...were you not in Ballybofey last April? I sure as heck was. :D

I seem to remember a Dublin team (that was lacking a lot of its superstars) having the bottle to come back from a 3 pt deficit and, grit out an injury time draw, against a full strength, very much battle hardened Donegal squad. That result cemented Dublins spot at the top of Division One and consigned Donegal to Division Two.

At the end of the season, Jim Gavin specifically mentioned it as a game that showcased Dublins mental toughness, that they would not have won the AI without. Add in another Celtic Cross picked up along the way and its safe to say that this Dublin team don't ever, ever give up or capitulate.

.....And in other news....yes, I froze my giblets off in Croke Park too. That lovely warm bar at the Canal End (with the toasty rads that you can warm your frozen fingers and toes on) was crying out my name, all afternoon long. But I just couldn't bear being that far away from the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Its brilliant to see the never say die attitude these days. During the 2000s that game would have ended in a thumping. I believe Cork will be our biggest threat this year. This defeat may well stand to them and make them a better team, Just like the 2011 league final helped Dublin Immensely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Cork will be there or thereabouts, make no mistake. They'll learn from Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was very impressed with the Dubs in the 2nd half on Sunday. They will steamroll through Leinster. The fear would be complacency in the AI series. The options they have available up front is frightening and Dublin are the only team out their that wouldn't miss the likes of Ciaran Kilkenny. The only worry is the midfield as I think COS is more suited to the center half back roll. If they can sort that area out I reckon we will be looking at a back to back All Ireland success. Up the Dubs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Hi I am looking some advice.

I will be moving to dublin within next couple of weeks and I am looking to get an appropriate Football club in the stillorgan area. I know kilmacud are there however I want to be sure I go to someone that is right for my level.

I played senior club football then intermediate club football for my club in Tyrone for the last 10 years. I was never close to county standard but I would have been okay on the club scene. I would like to continue playing football down here.

Anyone any helpful advice.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Hi I am looking some advice.

I will be moving to dublin within next couple of weeks and I am looking to get an appropriate Football club in the stillorgan area. I know kilmacud are there however I want to be sure I go to someone that is right for my level.

I played senior club football then intermediate club football for my club in Tyrone for the last 10 years. I was never close to county standard but I would have been okay on the club scene. I would like to continue playing football down here.

Anyone any helpful advice.

Thanks

Try this thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055821624

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

heard from a friend that ciaran kilkenny is making unbelievable progress with his acl injury and could play before the summer is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'd prefer Ciarán took it easy on the recovery and sat it out like Gooch to be honest; the last thing we need is a player of his calibre rushing a return from such a serious injury

heard from a friend that ciaran kilkenny is making unbelievable progress with his acl injury and could play before the summer is out

Your friend is seriously misinformed. Ciaran only had his operation last week. It will be a long time before he can walk without the aid of crutches and a cast, never mind do any serious rehab work on his knee. We won't see him at all for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Same friend that told you about Seamus Scanlon?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Same friend that told you about Seamus Scanlon?

yeah the very same fella actually, howd you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Just incase any of the Dubs get some false hope from Bombers ramblings, please note that

a) he has no friends
    b) he knows about as much about football as I do about astrology
    c) Ciaran Kilkenny is definitly out for the entire year and
    d) bomber will be back to school next week and things can get back to normal around here!

Just incase any of the Dubs get some false hope from Bombers ramblings, please note that

a) he has no friends
    b) he knows about as much about football as I do about astrology
    c) Ciaran Kilkenny is definitly out for the entire year and
    d) bomber will be back to school next week and things can get back to normal around here!

libellous comments, ur lucky i didnt report you! i apologise for my comment about ciaran kilkenny, was only going off what one of my mates was saying,!..

Anyone know if the DCB/GAA ticket office on Dorset St will be open tomorrow, it being National No Drinking Friday 'n all? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I find myself in Longford for the weekend so I'm heading to Pearse Park to see the Minors, should be a good chance to see some upcoming talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Good win the for the minors, didnt see or hear anything but a win is a win and another final to look forward too.
    Our youth system is top notch.

Under 21's up next!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Cavan have been dominating this game so far but haven't showed much for it on the scoreboard only leading 7 points to 5 at halftime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Joekers wrote: »
    Cavan have been dominating this game so far but haven't showed much for it on the scoreboard only leading 7 points to 5 at halftime

I would say it has been a 50 - 50 game so far but Cavan have been the more clinical of the teams . Dublin have had some amount of wides .

Dubs win by a point.

Dublin by far the best team, on another day they'd have won by 10 points, need to be more clinical in future though.

Cavan players and management were a disgrace after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

Slattsy wrote: »
    Dubs win by a point.

Dublin by far the best team, on another day they'd have won by 10 points, need to be more clinical in future though.

the ref was shocking gave dublin everything. cavan should have been well up at half time. roscommon will beat dublin handily from what ive seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Dubs win by a point.

The referee however was a disgrace during the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Connorzee wrote: »
    The referee however was a disgrace during the game

Have to agree the ref was shocking and very biased towards Dublin the free Dublin got in which he allowed the player to take the shot hit the post then blow for the free was a joke, Cavan definitely have a right to feel robbed they battled very well and were undone by the ref.

Dublin on the other hand will count their blessings today and will learn a lot they are much better than what they showed today and it should be a cracking final in two weeks time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Dubs win by a point.

Imagine all the work they put in to be beaten by the referee? He didn't even play enough added time. 2 minutes and 1 minute if it was spent with a Dublin player lieing on the ground.

McHugh scored the equalising point and should have been off the pitch for a black card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Thought the ref would be lynched there for a minute

Cry me a river lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Whether McHugh should have got black or not is a moot point. He was having his jersey quite clearly pulled by the Cavan man in possession. It's not even a yellow.

Don't think the ref did too badly. Maybe the black for the Cavan forward was harsh, looked like he fell/slipped into the tackle. Advantage was correct at the end, rule says he's entitled to bring it back 5 seconds later. On the injury time thing, Timekeeping shouldn't be in the refs hands.

Scenes at the end weren't nice at all. Why would you want to be a referee only to be abused like that?

• Advertisement

fta93 wrote: »
    Whether McHugh should have got black or not is a moot point. He was having his jersey quite clearly pulled by the Cavan man in possession. It's not even a yellow.

Don't think the ref did too badly. Maybe the black for the Cavan forward was harsh, looked like he fell/slipped into the tackle. Advantage was correct at the end, rule says he's entitled to bring it back 5 seconds later. On the injury time thing, Timekeeping shouldn't be in the refs hands.

Scenes at the end weren't nice at all. Why would you want to be a referee only to be abused like that?

Was he pulled down by the Cavan man? No, he pulled the Cavan man down. That's a black card offence. Not the jersey pulling. Should have been a black card and Costelloe was lucky also.

Cavan's best forward however was given a black card the minute the referee got a chance.

The free was a soft free. Even Dublin supporters would admit that. The ones I spoke to at the game did.

In regard to timekeeping, he has to be aware that a minute of the short two minutes had been wasted. There was no reason for him to blow up and deny Cavan the chance for one last attack given how close the game was.

Referees that put themselves in situations like that don't help. Those players have put in huge effort and the referee has had a huge bearing on their exit.

The free was possibly soft but it's correct. The situation doesn't (or shouldn't) matter when it comes to decisions.

The Cavan 6 quite clearly has the ball in one hand and McHugh's jersey in the other. There is nothing McHugh can do there other than be pulled to the ground.

The free was possibly soft but it's correct. The situation doesn't (or shouldn't) matter when it comes to decisions.

The Cavan 6 quite clearly has the ball in one hand and McHugh's jersey in the other. There is nothing McHugh can do there other than be pulled to the ground.

How was it correct? It wasn't a free. He rode the tackle and then shot and missed.

What's the difference between what McHugh did and what Dillon did?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Cavan very poor losers. Dub v Roscommon will be interesting. Roscommon have come on a lot through the underage teams as have Dublin so a lot of lads with plenty to play for now and in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublin weren't great but they deserved their win for me. Lot of wasted ball into the forwards and players too eager to go for goal. Thought the ref got all the decisions people are moaning about correct bar the Cavan black card, a bit harsh. The winning score was a free and McHugh was most certainly having his jersey pulled.

Disgraceful scenes at the end mind you. Looked like someone spat at the ref as he entered the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Not trying to rub it in here but I actually thought the ref had a decent game. The black card was harsh....but technically correct. That's the start of the black card saga for the year, fair play to the GAA, they've tried it. It doesn't work. Drop it.

As for the scenes at the end of the game, no matter what the ref has done, he doesn't deserve that. It annoys me to see Gardaí waddling off with the ref when they should be battening and cuffing people who are trying to basically attack him. A number of players didn't fill themselves with glory screaming in his face. Im not a pro lip reader but it was easy enough to make out what they were shouting at him.

Disgraceful, thank God it was caught on camera. Hopefully large fines will ensue.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    How was it correct? It wasn't a free. He rode the tackle and then shot and missed.

What's the difference between what McHugh did and what Dillon did?

Its correct because the referee is entitled to call it back if advantage doesn't ensue inside the specific time period. Its the rules. Simple.

The difference? McHugh's jersey is being pulled. I already said I didn't agree with the Cavan man's black card. Stop trying to create an argument from nothing.

Its correct because the referee is entitled to call it back if advantage doesn't ensue inside the specific time period. Its the rules. Simple.

The difference? McHugh's jersey is being pulled. I already said I didn't agree with the Cavan man's black card. Stop trying to create an argument from nothing.

I know the advantage rule. What I am saying is it shouldn't have been a free in the first place, advantage or not.

You say the ref didn't get much wrong but:

1. Dillon black card.
    2. McHugh non black card.
    3. Costelloe non black card.
    4. Free that shouldn't have been.
    5. Not enough extra time.

That's quite a bit in a one point game.

I know the advantage rule. What I am saying is it shouldn't have been a free in the first place, advantage or not.

You say the ref didn't get much wrong but:

1. Dillon black card.
    2. McHugh non black card.
    3. Costelloe non black card.
    4. Free that shouldn't have been.
    5. Not enough extra time.

That's quite a bit in a one point game.

They're all your opinions. From my view, two are possibly wrong - the Dillon one and the time-keeping one (in anyway, time keeping is completely at the referee's discretion).
    Arguable decisions don't merit bottle-throwing, spitting, and verbal abuse.

EDIT: Oh and this free 'that shouldn't have been' - I'm not sure what a two handed pull that doesn't get the ball warrants, but 100%% of the time its a free. Watch it back at 1.53 on the video. Not only its a free, its also quite possibly a card. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1fM3Jj34-4E&list=PL6558A91C79FEE0C5

They're all your opinions. From my view, two are possibly wrong - the Dillon one and the time-keeping one (in anyway, time keeping is completely at the referee's discretion).

EDIT: Oh and this free 'that shouldn't have been' - I'm not sure what a two handed pull that doesn't get the ball warrants, but 100%% of the time its a free. Watch it back at 1.53 on the video. Not only its a free, its also quite possibly a card. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1fM3Jj34-4E&list=PL6558A91C79FEE0C5

A pull? Where do you see the Cavan player make a pull action? He never moves his hand back to even action a pull. He tries to tackle. He doesn't use two hands together at any stage either. 100% of the time is it a free like fook. Even the Dublin people in the stand today thought it wasn't. You even said above its a soft free but now it's 100% a free.

So one minute you're saying Dillon's black card was harsh and the next you're agreeing with it? Read back over your posts re Dillon's black card above.

Read over your own posts and try to be consistent in what you're saying. You're struggling to back up your own blue tinted views here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

A pull? Where do you see the Cavan player make a pull action? He never moves his hand back to even action a pull. He tries to tackle. 100% of the time is it a free like fook. Even the Dublin people in the stand today thought it wasn't.

So one minute you're saying Dillon's black card was harsh and the next you're agreeing with it?

You're struggling to back up your own blue tinted views here.

Lemlin, as you should have noticed by now you will only get a biased reply, because he knows the truth and cant admit winning by a cheating ref who WANT Dublin to win no matter what it takes and anyone who couldnt see that is as blind as the officials who denied LOUTH a Leinster title after Joe Sheridan threw the ball into the net.....Yes Cavan were better but should have taken their chances, but the truth is....THE REF GOT DUBLIN THROUGH...Not sour grapes...FACT....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

A pull? Where do you see the Cavan player make a pull action? He never moves his hand back to even action a pull. He tries to tackle. He doesn't use two hands at any stage either. 100% of the time is it a free like fook. Even the Dublin people in the stand today thought it wasn't.

So one minute you're saying Dillon's black card was harsh and the next you're agreeing with it? Read back over your posts re Dillon's black card above.

You're struggling to back up your own blue tinted views here.

You seriously don't see the left arm stopping the Dublin player running through?

muincav wrote: »
    Lemlin, as you should have noticed by now you will only get a biased reply, because he knows the truth and cant admit winning by a cheating ref who WANT Dublin to win no matter what it takes and anyone who couldnt see that is as blind as the officials who denied LOUTH a Leinster title after Joe Sheridan threw the ball into the net.....Yes Cavan were better but should have taken their chances, but the truth is....THE REF GOT DUBLIN THROUGH...Not sour grapes...FACT....:mad:

It's clear to see alright. Can't even stay consistent in his views. One minute it was a soft free, the next it's 100% a free.

One minute Dillon's black card was harsh, the next he is disagreeing with me saying it was harsh.

Where you actually watching or listening on the radio? And as for the disgraceful scenes,,,,I would love to see the fans on the HILL if their team was treated in the manner Cavan were today...!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

A few point came out today.

Timekeeping should not be job of referee. The decision for the (last) free was correct but could be deemed a little harsh. The black card is here and I think it will stay but its confusing. The Cavan one was harsh and Dublin can feel lucky not to have had 1. Games have been won and lost on decisions like this since the game began

We all look at these games through rose tinted glasses when our team is playing. I have yet to see a referee who gets everything right and this leads to the debate of 2 referees for all inter county games.

Dublin over the years have been very harshly treated (you might say robbed) but Dublin fans will abuse like few others can but thankfully they behave a little better than the "people" masquerading as Cavan fans today. They have no place in the G.A.A and lets hope the deal with the players and official's promptly and severely. Actually a certain Cavan referee I dread to see coming in the gate as he does his best most days to nail a dub or 2, (All-Ireland final 2011 the exception)

Ref didn't rob Cavan when they were on top they didn't make it count. We could go through the video from start to finish and question every free but they dont have that luxury on the field. Their set up even with wind advantage was negative. A Cavan man said to me they set out to thwart Dublin but should have gone with their own strengths. They had the potential to beat Dublin.

This was a good result for Dublin who will be a bit stronger for the final with a few lads due back.

LeoB wrote: »
    A few point came out today.

Timekeeping should not be job of referee. The decision for the (last) free was correct but could be deemed a little harsh. The black card is here and I think it will stay but its confusing. The Cavan one was harsh and Dublin can feel lucky not to have had 1. Games have been won and lost on decisions like this since the game began

We all look at these games through rose tinted glasses when our team is playing. I have yet to see a referee who gets everything right and this leads to the debate of 2 referees for all inter county games.

Dublin over the years have been very harshly treated (you might say robbed) but Dublin fans will abuse like few others can but thankfully they behave a little better than the "people" masquerading as Cavan fans today. They have no place in the G.A.A and lets hope the deal with the players and official's promptly and severely. Actually a certain Cavan referee I dread to see coming in the gate as he does his best most days to nail a dub or 2, (All-Ireland final 2011 the exception)

Ref didn't rob Cavan when they were on top they didn't make it count. We could go through the video from start to finish and question every free but they dont have that luxury on the field. Their set up even with wind advantage was negative. A Cavan man said to me they set out to thwart Dublin but should have gone with their own strengths. They had the potential to beat Dublin.

This was a good result for Dublin who will be a bit stronger for the final with a few lads due back.

How can you say "Dublin fans" have behaved better than the people "masquerading" as Cavan fans today? Im old enough to know and have seen different,,,,thats why there was HUGE FENCES at the Hill16 my friend...I do know the Cavan ref you mean too and I totally agree....and agree with being dealt harshly in some games especially against Kerry and Meath, but today was a total disgrace by the ref...it was so obvious and blatant....kinda reminds me of when you watch a game and the ref gives some strange calls and everyone says "aw the ref is playing for a DRAW" to bring in more for the GAA....What you have to remember is, FOUR squads of young players went out today to play a match after having trained, and gave up a social life for who knows how long with their hopes hearts and dreams set on an All Ireland Final, but knowing only two could prevail.Even after All that to go out on BAD calls is even more heartbreaking for those players and CAN be enough to ruin their faith in the GAA....I know one of the Cavan players who gave up a promising soccer career to concentrate on the Under 21 campaign and he was blatantly fouled (more so than any) in the last 10 mins and was astonished that he didnt get the free, but what he did get from that moment is that the officials WERE NOT going to let Cavan win.....

Where you actually watching or listening on the radio? And as for the disgraceful scenes,,,,I would love to see the fans on the HILL if their team was treated in the manner Cavan were today...!!!

So basically you are saying that the ref deserved to be attacked by scum on the pitch? They should have been battered off by the cops.

bohsboy wrote: »
    So basically you are saying that the ref deserved to be attacked by scum on the pitch? They should have been battered off by the cops.

If you read my post I said NOTHING of the kind....and I hate TROLLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

How can you say "Dublin fans" have behaved better than the people "masquerading" as Cavan fans today? Im old enough to know and have seen different,,,,thats why there was HUGE FENCES at the Hill16 my friend...

There were fences up in every inter county pitch in Ireland until the Hillsbourough disaster. And in Croke Park they went the whole way around the pitch wiring along the sides and fences at each end. I'm old enough to say hand on heart Iv never seen Dublin fans or players attack a referee, or Dublin officials either. Dublin fans invaded pitchs usually after a goal or near the end of a final, just like Offally, Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal, Derry and Galway fans did. As I said when it comes to abuse from stands or terraces Dublin fans are as good as any at dishing it out but that's as far as it goes. I'v seen fans from most counties behave disgracefully at grounds, from Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Tyrone, Dublin, Meath but they are not real fans they are the bandwagon fans who should not be given tickets by their clubs and they have no place in our games and we cant blame referees for how people behave.

Im looking at it through my Dublin rose tinted glasses and I dont think the referee robbed Cavan. Honestly. But Dublin got some tight calls. Having been on Inter county panel and knowing a good few referees I'V yet to see a referee "robbing" a team.

I take your points ok about lads making huge commitments to G.A.A and its not nice to see it it end in controversy now. Thats not fair on the players either to see it end like that either.

If you read my post I said NOTHING of the kind....and I hate TROLLS

You're quick to throw out the "troll" jibe. But you asked how would would the "hill" react, seemingly putting it out there that the reaction of your apes was acceptable?

Should have been hammered off the pitch by the cops in my opinion.

Disgraceful, hopefully the fine fits the actions.

bohsboy wrote: »
    You're quick to throw out the "troll" jibe. But you asked how would would the "hill" react, seemingly putting it out there that the reaction of your apes was acceptable?

Should have been hammered off the pitch by the cops in my opinion.

Disgraceful, hopefully the fine fits the actions.

Bingo. The hypothetical reaction of hypothetical Dublin fans on the Hill is utterly irrelevant here. If and when they over react disgracefully after a match, lets by all means discuss it. But until it does, cheap shots about the supporters on the Hill have no place here. Bringing up their imaginary reaction to an imaginary game, in no way excuses the behaviour of the muppets who let their county down today.

My grandfather was a proud Cavan man. Last summer, I posted several times (in the Cavan thread) about how proud I was to see then doing so well. But that kind of boorish behaviour from their supporters, just leave a sour taste in the mouth.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement