Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stoner wrote: »
    I thought that the Derry support was thin on the ground, a decent colourful crowd for Donegal and Monaghan game. There appeared to be almost no supporters at the Division three game. I wonder if it's possible to get three games in CP, I'd imagine Cavan and Roscommon would rather have had a crowd at an earlier time then no crowd on a Saturday night.

Thought 38000 seemed high based on the free seats, but being late we saw a lot of Donegal and Monaghan fans leaving so they must have had 7 or 8k between them.

Great win, Nicky Dev really came in to himself, even a nice positioning to get hit by the ball in goal-line and a couple of other skillful interventions, as well as use of his pace to track back. He's looked a little nervous up until now, but starting to come in to himself. Still prefers to just move the ball on and not make mistakes, but we can use that too.

Paul Flynn had another massive game as be completes seamless comeback and O'Gara has started to win everyone over. He has been a key man for me for a few years, but mostly now people seem to agree. Makes such a difference to the space for the rest of the team as the opposition gets caught up fighting him for the ball.

Another great day, but dissapointing that Derry didn't perform. Wasn't really the game we wanted before the break.

Hopefully the 21s do the business now against the Rossies and especially Mannion gets himself going again. He is key for me as probably the one player not showing his class at the moment. If we can ease him in to form the way we have often done with BB then we are really looking good up front with powerful options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The really frightening thing is you got the sense Dublin could have upped the intensity, especially in the second half, if they really needed to.

Good to hear Cluxton today talking about performance being everything. I'm sure the squad know that should they put their best foot (feet:confused:) forward they'll be hard stopped. Signs are far more positive this year than they were in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thought we played good and never looked like doing anything but winning easily however I thought we left a lot of points and maybe a goal or two behind, I'm certainly not suggesting we played bad but I do think there is another gear or two in us and we will certainly need it in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Past30Now wrote: »
    What I didn't see was a black card for Dublin, but I assume we got one given that we had six replacements on the field. I assume it was Paddy Andrews, but I didn't see it.Anybody care to enlighten me.

They should really call out that the subs are black card subs, for example at the Donegal game McFadden received a black card and was subbed, only that we saw the card on the big screen it would have appeared as a standard sub, it was announced as a standard sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Stoner wrote: »
    They should really call out that the subs are black card subs, for example at the Donegal game McFadden received a black card and was subbed, only that we saw the card on the big screen it would have appeared as a standard sub, it was announced as a standard sub.

Does it make a difference? It comes out of the allocation of your 6 allowed subs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

bren2001 wrote: »
    Does it make a difference? It comes out of the allocation of your 6 allowed subs anyway.
    It doesn't make a huge difference just keeps us unwashed masses informed - same as they announce the blood substitution.

Big thanks to whomever for turning on the sun machine in Croker yesterday was in stark contrast to the baltic conditions in the semi, enjoyable day not without the usual lingering defensive concerns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Did we even pick up a black card during the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Slattsy wrote: »

Philly Mc got two anyway IIRC

Maybe. Just can't think of any off me head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

keane2097 wrote: »
    Philly Mc got two anyway IIRC

Were they not red ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Does anybody know if Dean Rock is injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, Dean Rock is injured. ( It was nice to see him on the pitch yesterday, during the celebrations with the trophy.) He should be ok come champo time.
    Slattsy wrote: »

Nope. Dublin and Westmeath were the only two counties to go the entire league without picking up a black card. There were a fair few yellows and reds, but no blacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

dats_right wrote: »

I hear he's been carrying one for a while now, that would explain his disappearance off the panel too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Bambi wrote: »
    only for that completely self induced collapse that dublin had nothing to do with :o

What happened in the first half?

dats_right wrote: »

Dean is well on the road to recovery training well and is about 2 weeks behind the others. On a related theme Denis Bastick is by all accounts absolutely flying

Dennis was listed in the subs yesterday. He didn't come on, but he was warming up on the sideline during the first half.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Dennis was listed in the subs yesterday. He didn't come on, but he was warming up on the sideline during the first half.

Did ya see himself and MDM ran a night time 10k after the match on Sunday. Bastick at full tilt in the championship will be a great asset to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Anyone know what the story is with Parnell passes this year? Price, when they're on sale, etc.? Can't access hill16.ie from work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Collie D wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with Parnell passes this year? Price, when they're on sale, etc.? Can't access hill16.ie from work

Was told renewals where due in last Friday. Drop into /call Parnell Park or the gaa ticket office in town

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I was just wondering how the league and championship in structured in Dublin.

I know in Tyrone where I'm from its pretty easy you division 1,2,3 for league and championship is 1 = senior championship; 2 = intermediate, 3 = Junior

But because there are so many divisions in Dublin and there are a number of clubs with 3 + teams I don't understand how it works.

Can someone explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Great win today, listened to it on Kerry FM have it recorded. It sounded like there was a goal lead comeback on the cards but it was a comprehensive win. Did Scully play well?

I was there yesterday among the ~7,500 people and it was a great day out for Dublin, not so much for Roscommon. In the first half Dublin were allowed to put on quite the show since Roscommon didn't turn up. Points were being knocked over from every spot on the park 0-14 to 0-01 at half time is a sobering score for a final. Their penalty miss broke their spirit and it really looked like the contest I expected would never materialise. Credit to Roscommon they woke up in the second half after conceding the goal, I thought they'd just roll over. Dublin wobbled in defence, Roscommon punished us with 3 quick goals and could have had a fourth too which really would have opened it up. Dublin steadied and got back scoring and Roscommon were never really close enough to threaten after that.

The one sour thing about yesterday was the lack of co-ordination between the GAA and in particular the Gardai to manage the traffic. ~7,500 people (so a max of 7,500 cars) and two hours after the game the traffic was still backed up all along the Tullamore ring road right to Kilbeggan. I returned to the car a 16:30, 20 minutes after the final whistle which is when most Roscommon folks would have left, and I didn't get onto the M6 until 18:15. It was an absolute joke, one that makes me rather unkeen to repeat the journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The one sour thing about yesterday was the lack of co-ordination between the GAA and in particular the Gardai to manage the traffic. ~7,500 people (so a max of 7,500 cars) and two hours after the game the traffic was still backed up all along the Tullamore ring road right to Kilbeggan. I returned to the car a 16:30, 20 minutes after the final whistle which is when most Roscommon folks would have left, and I didn't get onto the M6 until 18:15. It was an absolute joke, one that makes me rather unkeen to repeat the journey

Park a bit further out - I parked about 20 minutes walk away, out past the second roundabout there. Walked past bumper to bumper traffic in the rain which wasn't great but smooth sailing once I got in the car, straight home.

nm wrote: »
    Park a bit further out - I parked about 20 minutes walk away, out past the second roundabout there. Walked past bumper to bumper traffic in the rain which wasn't great but smooth sailing once I got in the car, straight home.

I was 20 minutes away from the park too. Regardless, it should never take 2 hours to clear traffic from 7000 people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I was just wondering how the league and championship in structured in Dublin.

I know in Tyrone where I'm from its pretty easy you division 1,2,3 for league and championship is 1 = senior championship; 2 = intermediate, 3 = Junior

But because there are so many divisions in Dublin and there are a number of clubs with 3 + teams I don't understand how it works.

Can someone explain?

In Dublin, the league and championship have been completely split for a number of years, so can often bear little relationship to each other. When the split happened all teams in Division 1 and 2 would have been senior, Div 3 and 4 Inter, 4 and 5 Junior A, 5 and 6 Junior B, etc.

After the split teams could be relegated from Div 2 to Div 3, but still retain senior championship status. Likewise teams could get promoted from Div 3 to Div 2, but wouldnt get senior championship status until they win the intermediate championship.

You need to win the Inter championship to get senior status, but teams can only have one club in each championship - so a few years ago when Brigids 2nd team won the Inter championship they didnt get promoted. Although it is possible to have two teams from the same club in the same league division if promotion/relegation works out that way.

Of interest, St Pat's Donabate are in division 1, but are still intermediate (they'd be favourites to win the inter this year - but they were favourites last year and didnt do it). Also Clontarf and Whitehall Colmcilles are in Division 3 and both are senior clubs for the championship.

Well its back to the grass roots this weekend with Dublin Championship games scattered all over the place. Tomorrow night I was betwixt and between the IFC game of Judes and hot favs Pats Donabate but the vote goes to the SFC game in Naul between Syls & Maurs. Maurs have started the year pretty well and while Syls in particular will have the big guns out and our slight favs with PP - I'll be taking the 11/10 on Maurs for some interest for the neutral :D

Saturdays I'm always a headless chicken with the underage football in the morning so will stay close to base and probably drop up to Garristown to watch the IFC Fingallians & Vins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Maurs started off earlier in the week at 9/4 or 2/1 . All the money going on them

TheNap wrote: »
    Maurs started off earlier in the week at 9/4 or 2/1 . All the money going on them

Only back in the country so missed the jump on those prices .. but Maurs unbeaten start to the season has swung me

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Only back in the country so missed the jump on those prices .. but Maurs unbeaten start to the season has swung me

Syls have also lost a lot of country lads from last year . Could be a bad few days for teams who have invested a lot in the last few years ( Parnells knocked out last night )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Syls have also lost a lot of country lads from last year . Could be a bad few days for teams who have invested a lot in the last few years ( Parnells knocked out last year )

Eugene Keating has a recurrence of a groin injury so he may be missing for Sylvesters also.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Dean is well on the road to recovery training well and is about 2 weeks behind the others. On a related theme Denis Bastick is by all accounts absolutely flying

Dean came on as a sub for the mun last night so should be good to go.

Syls have also lost a lot of country lads from last year . Could be a bad few days for teams who have invested a lot in the last few years ( Parnells knocked out last year )

Was only thinking something similar with Monicas playing AFL4 and never having won a Junior Champ, were beaten 1st round again last week .. some teams and Champs just have no love...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 dubliner 2

Cluxton is refusing to play for Parnells.

Surely he can't then play for the county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

dubliner 2 wrote: »

Oh!?

Why's that?!

Grudaire wrote: »
    Oh!?

Why's that?!

Why is he not playing for Parnells?

Kilmacud beaten by Plunketts tonight. A small shock there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Dublin and limerick played a challenge last night. close at the finish but after about 45mins the dubs were 3 - 15 to 2 - 8 ahead apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Why is he not playing for Parnells?

Kilmacud beaten by Plunketts tonight. A small shock there

Might sound like a silly question but is that crokes now out of the championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Yes, Crokes are out, there's no back door any more in the Dublin SFC. Only got going in the last few minutes, two point margin flattered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

He plays with their intermediate team.

Plunkett's were up by 11 with just 15 minutes to go and, then they took their foot off the gas & let Crokes back into it. The score line doesn't do them justice. BB gave Rory O'Carroll a terrible time of it.

• Advertisement

Plunketts were always a team that on their day could ruffle anyones feather.
    Really fancied them a few years ago to go on to great things, but their back line is awful.

Their back line kept Crokes to 1-5 (or something like that) for the first 45 odd minutes of the game. Plunkett's were up by 3-10 at that stage. Croke's went on a bit of run in the last quarter & made the scoreline look more respectable. Going on that display, they could be a force again this year, if they can keep both of the Brogans healthy and in form. I'd wonder how they'd do against battle hardened teams like Ballymun & Vincents though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Cluxton not refusing to play Parnells.
    wants to play out field at club level, playing on their intermediate team

Gael85 wrote: »

Indeed that's true, played in the HB line when I seen him a couple of weeks ago.. largely anonymous nothing spectacular other than a beautiful point a la Maurice Fitz sideline ball

Gael85 wrote: »

Ok. Time to stop beating around the bush. I am amazed that no one in the media has brought this up.

It is a matter of public fact that Cluxton sought a re-grade this year (lists of re-grades sent out to clubs in Jan/Feb), which in itself is somewhat amusing. The idea of one of the best players in the country playing on his club's second team is laughable. But thanks to an anomaly in Dublin where league and championship are in no way connected Cluxton, who of course had his regarding refused, can play for the second team in league games but not in the Intermediate championship. So in essence he IS refusing to play for Parnells as he has not made himself available for Senior championship and he is not entitled to play Inter championship.

Playing outfield is a red herring. He has played outfield in the past and throwing your rattle out of the pram simply because you don't like the manager simply isn't on.

So the question still stands. How can he be selected for Dublin when he is refusing to play Championship for his club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sure wasn't Eamonn Fennell playing for Dublin despite not having a club for a couple of years?

It's not an ideal situation obviously but if he doesn't want to play with his club for whatever reason he's an amateur, you can't force him to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sure wasn't Eamonn Fennell playing for Dublin despite not having a club for a couple of years?

It's not an ideal situation obviously but if he doesn't want to play with his club for whatever reason he's an amateur, you can't force him to.

Yeah from 2009-2011.

How was that transfer allowed to go through anyway. Marino and Crumlin are two different sides of the City? What was his reasoning? I know at the time a few people said it was just because Vincent's had won an All Ireland but surely there was more to it than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

glued wrote: »
    Yeah from 2009-2011.

How was that transfer allowed to go through anyway. Marino and Crumlin are two different sides of the City? What was his reasoning? I know at the time a few people said it was just because Vincent's had won an All Ireland but surely there was more to it than that?

He moved from O'Tooles to Vinnies did he not? A stones throw from one another.

Yeah from 2009-2011.

It was O'Tooles . He was on the fringes of the Dublin team at the time . The then Dublin manager was a Vincents man .

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Yeah from 2009-2011.

He had nothing to do with Crumlin. O'Tooles are in Donaghmeade aren't they? About a 10 min drive to Marion

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement