Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Looking at that lineup for weaknesses (or potential weaknesses) you would say that the half-back line looks the "weakest" with that being a relative term, or course.

Can't see it being enough for Laois but maybe letter in the year it might be an issue. It really looks like a line that is far more suited to getting forward and it would be interesting to see what would happen if it came under sustained pressure in terms of having to defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Whats it like up there??
    On your high horse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's not bad actually. We have free popcorn & face painting for the kids.

But back to the important stuff. Am liking that line up. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Mannion or McCaffery get some serious game time, or even start. I don't think that Paddy Andrews starting jersey is secure. I don't think he had all that good a spring.

Whats the news on Rock actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Whoever posted those ridiculous rumours about Philly, needs to have a good hard, look at themselves.

I'll wait till Sunday to see if Philly is starting. Has Jim ever named a starting 15 and not changed it? I'd be surprised if those 15 line out on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Slattsy wrote: »
    Whats the news on Rock actually?
    bren2001 wrote: »
    I'll wait till Sunday to see if Philly is starting. Has Jim ever named a starting 15 and not changed it? I'd be surprised if those 15 line out on Sunday.

What I don't understand is the non-naming of subs?

Anyone ever asked Gavin what's the reason behind this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Still no Kevin Nolan? Still feel he should be accommodated in that backline.

I think the starting 15 in the league final, lined out as named.

Dean Rock played a club game a couple of weeks ago and scored something like 1-9. So I presume he is ok again and just needs game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebus2013

Whoever posted those ridiculous rumours about Philly, needs to have a good hard, look at themselves.

True...awful false dawn. Would love to see back of him.

Just check youtube for measure of the guy with attack on Paul Kerrigan of Cork.
    Hannibal Lector eat your heart out.

Appalling behaviour in last years SFC as well.

The force is strong in this one.

• Advertisement

When did I, or anyone else, ever say that Philly was pure as the driven snow? Never is when.

Coming on here & stating that he has been kicked off the panel, with nothing to back it up, makes the poster(s) look like a bit of a tit - especially when Philly has just been named to start on Sunday. Slinging as much mud at him as you want, it won't distract anyone from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 dubliner 2

Apologies. I was misinformed by someone thought was a good source.

Once again my apologies. Will be checking things a lot closer in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Didn't really learn much today. Cleaned out in midfield, poor defending and some poor wides but still won by 11 points. Par for the course.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

corny wrote: »
    Didn't really learn much today. Cleaned out in midfield, poor defending and some poor wides but still won by 11 points. Par for the course.;)

Found today worrying, good few lads didn't seem interested in defending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why was the glass panel not on the hill today?

Not overly thrilled with today, despite the result or the scoreline. Another slow start. Christ on a cracker. Why, why, why !!! Am really worried that is gonna bite us in the arse some day & that we will leave ourselves with a hole that is too big for even us to climb out of.

Kev Mc dug us out of the hole today & it was great to see his ability as a play maker on show, not just a 65th minute goal scorer.

Bloody nightmare in the middle of the park. Can't ever remember us being cleaned out that badly before.

Berno seems to have only had a cramp in his hammer and was taken off as precaution. Thank God for that.
    dubliner 2 wrote: »
    Apologies. I was misinformed by someone thought was a good source.

Once again my apologies. Will be checking things a lot closer in the future.

Philly will be along shortly, to accept your apology in person. We'll tell him you've gone to the shops. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Neeson wrote: »
    Why was the glass panel not on the hill today?

Presume it was taken off for the concerts like a few years ago, it'll be up for the Leinster final so we better not get any ideas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Midfield was dreadful, lots of space in our backline, a lot of lazy defending and too many passengers on the pitch today.

It obviously couldn't have been that bad when we won by 11, and with it being the 1st champ game I'm not too worried but other than Andrews all of our forwards were invisible in the first half. Cluxtons kicking was a bit sloppy as well. The midfield really struggle when they're left man to man, MDMA and COS excel in many areas but neither are ball winners. They struggled against Laoises big midfield today.

A game/win like that is great at this early stage.
    You keep learning.
    You win every game in Leinster by 20 points you learn nothing.
    Today was a good solid test and perfect for us.
    It gives a false sense of security to cruise through so many games in a row.
    Then you come up against the Corks/Kerry/Tyrone etc outside Leinster and the lads will get a hop.
    Never peak too early.

Also, can you imagine the false outrage this place would get if The Dubs were involved in a mass brawl like they had up north today. There'd be threads everywhere lol

• Advertisement

Not overly thrilled with today, despite the result or the scoreline. Another slow start. Christ on a cracker. Why, why, why !!! Am really worried that is gonna bite us in the arse some day & that we will leave ourselves with a hole that is too big for even us to climb out of.

Its 100% premeditated.

Dublin save the effort for the second half or more specifically the closing stages of the match. They're all tracked and monitored like crazy these days and it seems to me Dublin have a plan to limit the hard sprinting efforts for as long as possible. Players won't make as many runs into space, they won't burst a lung to track back, even simple efforts like gathering around the breaking ball from a kickout are dispensed with in the opening quarter. Obviously this is all done with a view to finishing the game strongly, or more precisely, stronger than you're opponent. And lets face, thats when games are won and lost. Its no coincidence Dublin have an unbelievable record when games are tight in the closing stages. Off the top of my head Mayo 2012 is the only time it didn't work. And even then, the damage they did in the 15 minutes of exertion against a tired Mayo team was phenomenal.

Granted a few lads took some liberties today, well thats being kind. Some of them took the piss (Connolly basically stood still for the first half) but i think they're an experienced and professional enough outfit that they'd have a good feel for whats required in any given game.

On an unrelated note, how are Dublin so bad when it comes to a simple give and go? Example. Player A passes to player B and makes a run. Both Dublin players attack player B who then passes back to player A in behind leaving both defenders stranded. Seriously. Dublin are the worst team in Ireland when it comes to this! Ball watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Fourteen different scorers for Dublin yesterday. All starting forwards and midfielders,4 of the forward subs, James McCarthy and Stephen Cluxton. An impressive stat. Despite a couple of goal chances missed in the first half, if Laois had shown a bit more composure, they should have been 6 or 7 points clear at half time. They had effectively blown their chance by that stage. I'm hoping that yesterdays match was a "blowing away cobwebs exercise".

I thought Kevin Mc did very well, and while I wouldn't pick him for the starting 15, he is the first guy we turn to when we need to make a change. Costello looked great when he came on, but Laois were done by then. I'd like to see him get a start against Wexford.

Overall the full back line did the business yesterday, and the likes of MDMA, COS, Paul Flynn and DC got going in the second half. We won. If we do that for the next five matches I'll be a very happy camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd fairly rubbish seat low down, I did get a good look at O'Gara though, thought he had a better game than the TV guys did. He made an ass of trying to turn on the ball once, kicked a poor wide and barged another lad, but I couldn't see where else he could have gone. All that aside he won most of the balls played up to him. I don't think he was particularly well marked, he had the physical beating of his man he had a couple of single handed catches, in one case he held two lads off with one hand and caught the ball with the other. He definitely brings something to the attack that nobody else does in Dublin.

Laois have some fine footballers, just not enough of them. Looking at the Kildare and Louth game before hand, there was a bigger gap between Kildare and Louth than there was between Loais and Dublin IMO. Paddy Keenan is a great footballer but it was a tame Louth effort.

It strange with all the talk of how good Dublin's panel is, and you see other counties throwing out classy ball winning big midfielders and Dublin have so little there, Mayo must have 3 or 4. Dublin's midfield gets bailed out by the half back and half forward line so much these days. Didn't think O'Sullivan had a great game.

Really learned very little from the game, I enjoyed the last two League games more, I think the rain sent a lot of the Kildare lads home, although there was nearly 41K at the match I'd say that was never near that at any one time.

What did you guys think of Nicky Devereux? didn't realise he was 6'5 he certainly got up and down the field.

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd fairly rubbish seat low down, I did get a good look at O'Gara though, thought he had a better game than the TV guys did. He made an ass of trying to turn on the ball once, kicked a poor wide and barged another lad, but I couldn't see where else he could have gone. All that aside he won most of the balls played up to him. I don't think he was particularly well marked, he had the physical beating of his man he had a couple of single handed catches, in one case he held two lads off with one hand and caught the ball with the other. He definitely brings something to the attack that nobody else does in Dublin.

Laois have some fine footballers, just not enough of them. Looking at the Kildare and Louth game before hand, there was a bigger gap between Kildare and Louth than there was between Loais and Dublin IMO. Paddy Keenan is a great footballer but it was a tame Louth effort.

It strange with all the talk of how good Dublin's panel is, and you see other counties throwing out classy ball winning big midfielders and Dublin have so little there, Mayo must have 3 or 4. Dublin's midfield gets bailed out by the half back and half forward line so much these days. Didn't think O'Sullivan had a great game.

Really learned very little from the game, I enjoyed the last two League games more, I think the rain sent a lot of the Kildare lads home, although there was nearly 41K at the match I'd say that was never near that at any one time.

What did you guys think of Nicky Devereux? didn't realise he was 6'5 he certainly got up and down the field.

I was in the Cusack Stand and got a front row seat of him in full flight chasing back. By jaysus is he quick! I wonder is he faster than McCaffrey over a short distance?

Thought he did ok. Fast, great engine and you get the feeling he'll keep improving with regular game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just seen that Iarnróid Éireann are putting on an extra train back from Wexford on Saturday evening. Last train was due to leave at 7pm (same time as throw-in) so wasn't going to bother going down but all aboard now.

Nicky Dev is tall but no way is he 6'5! Very quick indeed though, I think he's been doing well in CHB. The way our HB line is though right now (all 3 guys getting up and down the field) is a bit risky and our HB line was a bit of a shambles on Sunday because of it. Ger Brennan was always willing to sit back and maintain position when the 2 Mc's ran up and down the field last season, I thought it worked quite well.

Some selection of half backs though, wingbacks especially. McCarthy, McCaffrey, Nolan, Devereux, Daly, then you've got Cooper and O'Sullivan who are playing out of position. I'm probably forgetting a few as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Nicky Dev is tall but no way is he 6'5! Very quick indeed though, I think he's been doing well in CHB. The way our HB line is though right now (all 3 guys getting up and down the field) is a bit risky and our HB line was a bit of a shambles on Sunday because of it. Ger Brennan was always willing to sit back and maintain position when the 2 Mc's ran up and down the field last season, I thought it worked quite well.

Some selection of half backs though, wingbacks especially. McCarthy, McCaffrey, Nolan, Devereux, Daly, then you've got Cooper and O'Sullivan who are playing out of position. I'm probably forgetting a few as well.

You could include Eric Lowndes on that list.

I watched the match again this morning, and on a second look we played very well. In the first half we had five clear goal chances from which we got two points. We had 9 other wides. McManamom (sp?) was bordering on brilliant. His gather for MDMA's goal was his best moment, but his distribution throughout the match was excellent.

None of the backs played badly. There weren't too many individual errors in the scores we conceded, we just couldn't get our own kickouts going in the first half. Any 50/50 balls went against us in that period.

The first ten minutes was our weakest period. They had nine scoring chances to our five. After that we were marginally on top from a scoring chance perspective for almost every other ten minute block. The only other 10 minute block where they created more chances was when we scored the two goals between the 46th and 55th minutes.

Rock and Costellos scores, all scored after the 65th minute, were the icing on the cake against a beaten side. More impressive was Flynn's three point haul.

I'm happier about the game on reflection than I was immediately after the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Is Sutcliffe out for Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Looks like a 2nd operation on his hand. Maguire to, broken thumb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Any word on Ger Brennan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Delighted with the performance of the team yesterday evening in Wexford Park. After a tough first half the included the loss of Mark Schutte and showcased an on-form Wexford team scoring with ease we turned it around and kicked on in the second half and ran out the worthy victors. I think it was a bit closer than the 5 point win suggests and the last few minutes were fairly wobbly but it's onwards in Leinster again to defend our crown :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

My biggest concern is the lack of goal scoring.

I'm delighted they got over Wexford in their park!

It's not an easy place to go! I've being there watching Kilkenny try defend their Leinster crown and they've struggled.

An 11 week break and one win not too shabby!
    They will need to up the game against Galway or Kilkenny in the final.

As pointed out on the Sunday game rush looked really tired/out of sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I think Rushe will come good, he was probably still a bit concious about his injury.
    The lack of goal scoring is a big big problem for Dublin. Mark Schutte was a great impact sub last year so that competition between himself and Paul Ryan will be lacking now if he is out for the season. Maybe Ryan O'Dwyer needs to be pushed closer to goal and given a chance to ping a few in and ghost-McCrabbe given his spot in the half-forward line? Galway can be beat without goals but I doubt Kilkenny can this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

I passed an ex- county footballer on the street in Phibsboro yesterday who i used to enjoy watching a lot, Vinny Murphy. looking fit and tanned im glad to say

He was a great fielder of the ball as i remember it - regularly beating his markers who were usually taller than him.

does Vinny coach at club level these days or what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

freddiek wrote: »
    I passed an ex- county footballer on the street in Phibsboro yesterday who i used to enjoy watching a lot, Vinny Murphy. looking fit and tanned im glad to say

He was a great fielder of the ball as i remember it - regularly beating his markers who were usually taller than him.

does Vinny coach at club level these days or what??

He's still playing!

Player/manager of St. Monica's.

Played for my club while he was in Kerry - an absolute gent. Swapped a few emails with him lately and he's getting on well, he's taken St Monica's from Div 7 and on the slide to Div 3 and holding their own over the last ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

keane2097 wrote: »
    He's still playing!

Player/manager of St. Monica's.

Played for my club while he was in Kerry - an absolute gent. Swapped a few emails with him lately and he's getting on well, he's taken St Monica's from Div 7 and on the slide to Div 3 and holding their own over the last ten years.

Yes indeed, Vinny still has a great enthusiasm for the game, seems to be doing a lot more from the sideline these days. The few times I've seen him recently he's using himself as an impact sub :D

Under the rejigged system strangely enough Monicas have still to win a Junior Champ .. which is all the more worrying as you say they're operating at AFL 3 for the last number of years .. beaten 1st round again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Monicas were relegated to AFL4 this season. Not doing great in it either, think they ll struggle due to a lack of a decent underage set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 21 players in 1 Championship game.Appearances+Subs for 2014 Championship Game

Andrews, Paddy 1
    Brogan, Alan 1
    Brogan, Bernard 1
    Cluxton, Stephen 1
    Connolly, Diarmuid 1
    Cooper, Jonny 1
    Daly, Darren 1
    Devereux, Nicky 1
    Flynn, Paul 1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 1
    McCarthy, James 1
    McMahon, Philip 1
    O'Carroll, Rory 1
    O'Gara, Eoghan 1
    O'Sullivan, Cian 1
    Costello, Cormac 0+1
    Cullen, Bryan 0+1
    Mannion, Paul 0+1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0+1
    McManamon, Kevin 0+1
    Rock, Dean 0+1

Dublin have scored 2-21 in and conceded 0-16 in 1 Championship game. Scorers 2014 Championship Game

Connolly, Diarmuid 1-1
    Costello, Cormac 0-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-3
    Rock, Dean 0-3
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 1-0
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-2
    McManamon, Kevin 0-2
    Andrews, Paddy 0-1
    Brogan, Alan 0-1
    Brogan, Bernard 0-1
    Cullen, Bryan 0-1
    McCarthy, James 0-1
    O'Gara, Eoghan 0-1
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-1

Dublin have used 36 players in 9 league games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 League Games

Cooper, Jonny 9
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 8+1
    O'Gara, Eoghan 6+3
    Cluxton, Stephen 8
    McMahon, Philip 8
    McManamon, Kevin 7+1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 2+6
    Nelson, Darragh 2+6
    O'Sullivan, Cian 7
    Brogan, Alan 6+1
    Reddin, Ciaran 5+2
    Nolan, Kevin 4+3
    McCarthy, James 6
    Andrews, Paddy 5+1
    Fitzsimons, Michael 5+1
    Brady, Tomas 2+4
    McCaffrey, Jack 2+4
    Devereux, Nicky 2+3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 4
    Cullen, Bryan 4
    Flynn, Paul 4
    George, Sean 4
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 4
    O'Carroll, Rory 4
    Costello, Cormac 3+1
    Carty, Shane 2+2
    Whelan, Jason 2+2
    Lowndes, Eric 3
    Daly, Darren 2+1
    O'Mahony, Declan 2+1
    Hudson, Paul 1+2
    Brogan, Bernard 1+1
    Currie, Sean 1+1
    Mannion, Paul 0+2
    O'Brien, Kevin 0+1
    Watson, Daniel 0+1

Dublin have scored 14-138(180) and conceded 11-117(150) in 9 league games. Scorers 2014 League Games

McManamon, Kevin 3-17
    Connolly, Diarmuid 2-11
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3-7
    Brogan, Bernard 1-11
    Brogan, Alan 0-12
    Andrews, Paddy 1-8
    Costello, Cormac 0-10
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-10
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2-2
    Hudson, Paul 0-7
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-6
    Reddin, Ciaran 0-6
    Whelan, Jason 1-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    Cooper, Jonny 0-4
    McCarthy, James 1-1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 0-3
    Carty, Shane 0-3
    Cullen, Bryan 0-2
    Mannion, Paul 0-2
    McMahon, Philip 0-2
    Nelson, Darragh 0-2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-2
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin 2014 Panel Player Championship Records

Player Championship Games Played/Scored

Andrews, Paddy 9 1-9
    Bastic, Denis 22 1-6
    Brennan, Ger 27 0-5
    Brogan, Alan 59 11-122
    Brogan, Bernard 36 12-142
    Cluxton, Stephen 67 0-44 -40 Clean Sheets Conceded 38 goals
    Connolly, Diarmuid 27 5-32
    Cooper, Johnny 8
    Costello, Cormac 2 0-3
    Cullen, Bryan 54 0-36
    Daly, Darren 5
    Devereux, Nicky 3
    Fitzsimons, Michael 18
    Flynn, Paul 31 2-24
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 9 0-14
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 23 2-5
    Mannion, Paul 7 3-6
    McCaffrey, Jack 8 1-1
    McCarthy, James 18 1-2
    McMahon, Philip 21 0-4
    McManamon, Kevin 21 3-15
    Nolan, Kevin 21 0-5
    O'Brien, Kevin 5
    O'Carroll, Rory 26
    O'Gara, Eoghan 23 5-10
    O'Mahony, Declan 5 0-1
    O'Sullivan, Cian 18 0-4
    Rock, Dean 7 0-13

Strange game today. Dublin started off full of intent, which was a big change from the previous game, but their execution was shocking in the opening third. Got better and better as the game wore on with players eventually taking better options, none more so than Cormac Costello. Real natural forward. I'd say Gavin will be pleased for the most part. Even not at their best Dublin look a formidable challenge.

Thought Paul Flynn pissed excellence throughout, the two midfielders were good and Nicky Devereux had a cracking game.

Average games for the rest of the forwards. I must say Connollys lax, semi complacent attitude for the second game running in the championship is a little frustrating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Mannions shot on goal a minute in was a beut. That could well be the save of the championship. Got on a lot of ball but some of his play in the next fifteen minutes wasn't great, got better afterwards.
    There are times when Mannion would be better take a less powerful, accurate shot with his right boot instead of coming back on his left - into traffic or in to a less favourable angle where it doesn't matter how well he hits it.

Wexfords free on twelve min where connolly was pushed in midfield gets award for bizare refereeing decision of the day.

• Advertisement

Were us Dubs always as big moaners as we are now? Up by 14 points, had this woman telling Dublin to "MARK UP" on their own kick outs ;)

Feel there is a real feeling of entitlement starting to creep in amongst the supporters

Yesterday was a good performance not great but good, some excellent scoring (esp from Wexford) and we limited goal chances for once

What was the story with Connolly yesterday. Someone pi$$ed in his cornflakes yesterday morning perhaps, he looked like a moany git all day.

Good to see Costello get a good run, he could be a big player this year.

Agree about Flynn, oozed class all day.

I think (and hope) that we were intentionally playing within ourselves. OK, we cruised through but Wexford were dreadful. We looked in 2nd gear, like we had just got out of bed. So many poor decisions and wasted chances in the first 20 mins in particular.

I was expecting more from Rock, he'll get pushed back to the sub role now though. We were missing Bernard's clinical edge up front, to much messing around in the forwards early on that would get punished by better defences. Hopefully we get him fit and firing. Nicky Dev continues to impress, Paul Flynn was outstanding as well. Cormac Costello is a gem, he has so much potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Just adding to my post count as I agree with nearly all that's gone before :pac:

The only other thoughts I'd have is that Kev Mc demonstrated that he could start and last 70 mins, and was involved in a lot of what was good in Dublin play yesterday.

I greatly admire Kevin Nolan for battling back into the team, but he hasn't so far reached the playing standards he had pre injury/diabetes.

Jack Mc's influence with Dublin is greatly reduced when he's not ball carrying at pace, there's better defenders in the team and his role may well be as an impact sub.

Flynn was outstanding, a cut above the rest. The team didn't look amazingly solid and the ball just didn't flow like it did in other matches. We were too pedestrian in the first half, we need to be better than that because you can't sit back on your laurels for full on 40 minutes before kicking into life against any opposition. We got the victory and I'm not expecting too much but overall the performance and game were a bit 'meh'.

I'm really looking forward to the hurling on Sunday; double header with the minors against Kilkenny. I drove down to Tullamore on Saturday for the Kilkenny/Galway replay and the cats were clinical. I'd love to see two Leinsters in a row

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Flynn was outstanding, a cut above the rest. The team didn't look amazingly solid and the ball just didn't flow like it did in other matches. We were too pedestrian in the first half, we need to be better than that because you can't sit back on your laurels for full on 40 minutes before kicking into life against any opposition. We got the victory and I'm not expecting too much but overall the performance and game were a bit 'meh'.

I'm really looking forward to the hurling on Sunday; double header with the minors against Kilkenny. I drove down to Tullamore on Saturday for the Kilkenny/Galway replay and the cats were clinical. I'd love to see two Leinsters in a row

Could we have a Dublin Cork hurling final and a Dublin Cork football final or does the football draw stop that?
    The hurling championship is still very open and next weekend with the Leinster final and qualifiers telling a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Were us Dubs always as big moaners as we are now? Up by 14 points, had this woman telling Dublin to "MARK UP" on their own kick outs ;)

Feel there is a real feeling of entitlement starting to creep in amongst the supporters

Yesterday was a good performance not great but good, some excellent scoring (esp from Wexford) and we limited goal chances for once

Where you annoyed when Wexford got their goal yesterday? I was.
    Doesnt matter if were 4points up or 14points, I want the players to stick to the basics.
    Look at Meath yesterday 12 points up and cruising + nearly bottled it.

Would much prefer tight close games as there is no letting up

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Doesnt matter if were 4points up or 14points, I want the players to stick to the basics.

^- This.

Kerry didn't do it in 2009, we didn't do it against Kildare last year in the league or Leinster. Never let up. Ever

There is a difference between easing up and moaning becasue someone who is trying misplaced a pass. And yes i was annoyed at the goal, but its easy to score when you can take as many steps as you like :) Also why would we mark on our own kickouts :D

The effort was there for the most part i thought yesterday (thought Philly and Connolly werent putting it in). It was a warm day hard to keep intensity at 100% in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I agree, you keep hassling and marking up until the end. A couple sloppy goals and its very difficult to get out of panic stations and retain the lead.

The hard part is when you are comfortably beating the opposition is to keep going.

Maybe its all the kilkenny hurling matches ive gone to over the years, they perfected the clinical killing of a team. Keep hitting the scores until the final whistle.

While it's not liked by other counties I wouldn't mind being the football County to pick it up and perfect it!!

Cannot wait for this Sunday, I really hope Dublin show up. Get revenge for all the failed Leinster titles against kilkenny.

It's not going to be easy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement