Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

radonicus wrote: »
    That game swung one way then the other, Dublin were ahead when the whistle went.

* due mainly to the goal im referring to...

As for sour grapes, i wont deny id love that slice of luck to come our way, i.e. a ref call that wins you the all ireland. Who wouldnt? But i dont think that is sour grapes to be fair. I definitely dont begrudge dublin their win. Probably more just lamenting that our turn to get that break didnt come yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I would say that mayo suffer from that same nervous energy that dublin did in 2011, yes. That isnt any big stretch, it is a common thing in sport. Losing runs bring pressure and harbour doubt. Cork in the late 00s had a similar thing. Their slice of luck came in the shape of Down being their final opponents. Had that been kerry id say they would have lost.That doesnt make cork a poorer team though, which maybe some people seem to think i am trying to say about the dublin team. Im not. It is more a case of showing that the best team doesnt always win the match and that teams that havent won tend to need a break sometimes. Like there can be no denying that dublin post 2011 were a more confident side.

Re chokers, well id ask you the same question about dublin right up to the seconds pre mcmanamans goal in 11? Does a slice of luck/ poor refereeing change this, or was it nonsense from the start? Furthermore, have you ever considered how the following years would have gone had they still been carrying that monkey on their backs? Would they have won tight games or would they have continued to stutter at vital times? It is funny how small things can have a big effect.

There obviously is a psychological element in sport, and teams can get into habits of winning or losing, especially when games are close.

Dublin were derided as losers in the late 1980s and 1990s, mainly because they were consistently a top team but failed to win the big one until 1995. they had good and bad fortune along the way, but they were always good enough to be contenders.

I would regard Mayo as the same, even down to possibly been blind-sided in 2012 by Donegal as Dublin had been by same county in 1992.

That they are no congenital losers is proven by their consistency. They have also been unfortunate to encounter very good Dublin and Kerry teams in semi finals and finals.

Only time will tell - well, next two years really, whether they can go one step further. I think they have the ability but there is not guarantee in sport, any sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Galvin switching to plunketts according to reports. A quick fix to me, mind boggling. They have a minor team who just won a minor b champ be better developing them players

I was on a spying mission one Sunday morning when I happened upon Round Towers (L) Minors playing in the B Champ, they were a serious outfit and had the looks of a team that would be very hard to beat - the fact OP/ER did speaks volumes for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I was on a spying mission one Sunday morning when I happened upon Round Towers (L) Minors playing in the B Champ, they were a serious outfit and had the looks of a team that would be very hard to beat - the fact OP/ER did speaks volumes for them

They want success by any means possible it seems. Not alone I suppose. No long term plan just short term goals but sure ain't that what the gaa has always been about? Their player pathway and all that.

I don't begrudge a player who is from a different county playing with a team that's now local to them, but plunketts take the piss with some of their carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Probably more just lamenting that our turn to get that break didnt come yet

Dublin waited from 1995 to 2011 and spent the time in-between moaning and whinging about referees and unfair advantages the way that Mayo have for 60 years. Dublin constantly complained about not getting the break, freak goals at the start of second halfs, Cluxton meltdown, penalties not awarded, penalties missed, about opponents being favoured from Kerry to Tyrone and everyone in-between etc.

You are probably used to it, you have grown up listening to the same thing from your neighbours and friends with just a Mayo tinge to it.

How does it change? With a group of players who change it. Unfortunately, so far it looks like the current crop of Mayo players don't have the cojones to change it, maybe 2017 will be different, but if I was honest I would see Kerry and Tyrone as bigger threats to Dublin.

Anyone else at Parnell today?

Craobh really took the p1ss charging 3 Euro for a "programme" that was full of ads, and only had 5/6 of the players on either of the Blue Stars and no team sheet for the "Dublin" team.

Also bit worrying that only one of senior hurling panel played today. What the fk is going on?

Football was entertaining enough game having said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bonniedog wrote: »

Also bit worrying that only one of senior hurling panel played today. What the fk is going on?

Who? :confused:

Crummy was only one I recognised. Didn't catch the team they read out, but heard that he seemed to be only one.

Be interesting to see who plays against Carlow on Wednesday.

Castleknock were well represented today with Connolly, Hannigan, Shiels & Boland with Dub Stars and O'Brien with Dublin - probably a sign of things to come ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

McHugh (2nd half) and Quinn were both class. In some respects Quinn is probably a better footballer now than he was in his heyday. He's more confident, knows his role, doesn't panic.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    Dublin waited from 1995 to 2011 and spent the time in-between moaning and whinging about referees and unfair advantages the way that Mayo have for 60 years. Dublin constantly complained about not getting the break, freak goals at the start of second halfs, Cluxton meltdown, penalties not awarded, penalties missed, about opponents being favoured from Kerry to Tyrone and everyone in-between etc.

You are probably used to it, you have grown up listening to the same thing from your neighbours and friends with just a Mayo tinge to it.

How does it change? With a group of players who change it. Unfortunately, so far it looks like the current crop of Mayo players don't have the cojones to change it, maybe 2017 will be different, but if I was honest I would see Kerry and Tyrone as bigger threats to Dublin.

Sorry, but what unfair advantages were Dublin moaning about?

The reality is your version of events is defined by the result. But the result can very often be defined by these events. You seem to fail to realise that had one or two of these things gone against Dublin instead of for them, they would have lost, and thus would be on the opposite side of things in the argument. You have the cart before the horse. The result doesn't define the reality, like you seem to think. In fact, the result is very often defined by these events, and the narrative is just filled in afterwards by commenters, anxious to pretence their ability to explain the result, with the type of, frankly, bs that you have just posted...

As for 'changing it', Dublin actually still moan more than anyone - and they are winning. For example, Connolly gets a deserved red card against ourselves last year and the entire county of Dublin go into meltdown for a full week up to the replay, with floods of tears washing down every street and feigned indignation at every turn. They then try to excuse an eye-gouging, headbutter, and then whinge more when he doesn't get poty... Like, you would nearly laugh, if it wasn't so depressing. If some dub fans viewed their own actions and behaviours when something doesnt go their way, in the cold light of day, they would cringe for a fortnight. Can I just ask you to consider, what would the reaction have been if keegan had headbutted and eye-gouged Connolly?

Past30Now wrote: »
    McHugh (2nd half) and Quinn were both class. In some respects Quinn is probably a better footballer now than he was in his heyday. He's more confident, knows his role, doesn't panic.

He is much cuter than he used to be. He is mostly anonymous but turns up very often in just the right place. Must be a nightmare to mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Can I just ask you to consider, what would the reaction have been if keegan was reputed to have headbutted and eye-gouged Connolly?

There, I fixed it for you, no charge.

To answer the question, I'd imagine the reaction would have been a storm of protest on Social Media, with lots of outrage and indignation on either side. The net effect of which would be advertising revenues for some websites increasing, and basically nothing else.

Jaden wrote: »
    There, I fixed it for you, no charge.

To answer the question, I'd imagine the reaction would have been a storm of protest on Social Media, with lots of outrage and indignation on either side. The net effect of which would be advertising revenues for some websites increasing, and basically nothing else.

Well not really, because we already got that and more when he just pulled his jersey a bit when the ball was out of play...

Also, why would mayo people be indignant or outraged after their guy headbutted someone and gouged their eye?

For me, the real disgrace of it is the way a giant of the game like keegan - comfortably the best player in the game and arguably the best half back ever - is allowed to be blackened to keep up this charade of being hard done by. A proper gaa person wouldn't stand for that.

Also, there is no reputed about it. It happened. the same way keegan did pull Connolly's jersey in an altercation between the two - it happened, Im honest enough to accept that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

A giant of the game you say ! Gosh. How exciting for you. How lucky we are to be allowed breath the same air as him.

If only you were as outraged about that other Mayo "giant" of the game, needing to do a swan dive of Olympic proportions, to get a win against lowly Fermanagh. Funny how Diarmuid Connolly sullying the good name of St Leroy (blesses self & genuflects) gets you far more hot and bothered than that does.

Ah well....you keep on finding things to complain about and making excuses for. We'll keep on winning trophies. Deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Also, there is no reputed about it. It happened.

Offering an opinion as an incontrovertible truth, does not make it so - regardless of how entrenched your point of view is. I'm unsure as to what value you hope to extract from any of this. Maybe it's just venting. FBD is starting up soon, that might provide some new avenue of relief.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    A giant of the game you say ! Gosh. How exciting for you. How lucky we are to be allowed breath the same air as him.

If only you were as outraged about that other Mayo "giant" of the game, needing to do a swan dive of Olympic proportions, to get a win against lowly Fermanagh. Funny how Diarmuid Connolly sullying the good name of St Leroy (blesses self & genuflects) gets you far more hot and bothered than that does.

Ah well....you keep on finding things to complain about and making excuses for. We'll keep on winning trophies. Deal?

You aren't referencing what I am talking about though, you are just raving with the same feigned indignation that I referred to earlier.
    I never mentioned anything about Connolly sullying anyone's name. My point was about the purposely over the top reaction from their fans with a load of high-horsing and grandstanding, despite being completely wrong - a reaction that you have just illustrated perfectly.

You see the difference is, I have never claimed that AOS didn't go down easily against Fermanagh - as I pointed out earlier I accept reality fully. Can the Dublin fans make the same point about their behaviour towards the best player in the game today in keegan? Let that sink in for a minute - the best player in the game, and guys only want to knock him with made up, over the top garbage. it is the equivalent of guys saying Messi and Ronaldo are just hoofers who only do well by kicking lumps out of people... It's actually quite pathetic.

The root of the problem is too many people are Dublin gaa fans and couldn't give a t*ss about the gaa or gaelic football itself. No proper fan of the game could act that way. A genuine fan would have too much respect for a player of that calibre.

Offering an opinion as an incontrovertible truth, does not make it so - regardless of how entrenched your point of view is. I'm unsure as to what value you hope to extract from any of this. Maybe it's just venting. FBD is starting up soon, that might provide some new avenue of relief.

Well eyewitness accounts are generally cast iron. In fact wasn't the guy banned for the eye gouge? Yet you contend it never happened.

Denial of the truth, doesn't make it an untruth. Who do you think you are kidding with that one?

Bottom line; We all know it happened - dont let yourself down by not being honest enough a person to admit it...

Have the O'Shea brothers picked the team yet :)

• Advertisement

Have the O'Shea brothers picked the team yet :)

They've new county jerseys too, I'm sure the lads were asked for their input, rumours abound they wanted to call the team Breaffo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I thought everyone goes off the drink in January?

Slattsy wrote: »

Some are still working off last years quota

Edit .. speaking of which I was trying to drum up a little support to run into tonights Walsh Cup hurling in PP :o .. days just melt into one another this time of year

Slattsy wrote: »

I think we should replace boozing with going to Confession too.

Bless me Father for I have sinned. I spoiled Gods love by not being a proper GAA fan.

I did not give Lee Keegan the deference that such a giant of the game is due.

Did I mention I wasn't a proper GAA fan? I'm not, according to the Holy Joe from Mayo....and they're experts in these things.

Honest to God, Your Worship, burning in hell is too good for me.

Edit .. speaking of which I was trying to drum up a little support to run into tonights Walsh Cup hurling in PP :o .. days just melt into one another this time of year

That match is tomorrow is it not?

I think we should replace boozing with going to Confession too.
    Bless me Father for I have sinned. I spoiled Gods love by not being a proper GAA fan.
    I did not give Lee Keegan the deference that such a giant of the game is due.
    Did I mention I wasn't a proper GAA fan? I'm not, according to the Holy Joe from Mayo....and they're experts in these things.
    Honest to God, Your Worship, burning in hell is too good for me.

Is this one of these ar*eways responses, where you admit the other person is right, but do so in a sarcastic way as so to appear indifferent?

I repeat. Any person who had a genuine interest in the sport, wouldn't respond in the manner the Dublin fans did, en masse. It is just a fact. People might say oh you just don't like Dublin - I don't actually care about Dublin to be honest with you, it has little to do with any bias, as much as you would like to paint it that way. It is just a reality. Bad fans react the way the Dublin fans reacted.

You don't like that? Not my concern

• Advertisement

Buddy, you are the one coming into the Dublin thread and insulting the Dublin players, supporters and posters for not worshipping at the altar of Lee Keegan enough. Yet you still expect to be taken seriously & for people to engage in some sort of serious debate with you?

Best of luck with that. You can count me out. I'm done indulging your boredom, or your bitterness.

Edit .. speaking of which I was trying to drum up a little support to run into tonights Walsh Cup hurling in PP .. days just melt into one another this time of year

Gobshyte !

I've been back in work since last Wednesday. I know exactly what day of the week it is. :mad:

Hard to believe another year in pursuit of more silverware, kicks off tomorrow. Senior footballers flew out on the team hollier yesterday. With most of the U-21's on college duty and the Cuala lads on a break, just recognizing the first goal scorers, will be some craic, never mind actually naming them. :rolleyes:

Buddy, you are the one coming into the Dublin thread and insulting the Dublin players, supporters and posters for not worshipping at the altar of Lee Keegan enough. Yet you still expect to be taken seriously & for people to engage in some sort of serious debate with you?

Best of luck with that. You can count me out. I'm done indulging your boredom, or your bitterness.

Where did I insult anyone?
    I pointed out that the behaviour of a faction of the dublin fans was poor at a certain time, and I underlined why. What is not to be taken seriously about that? Have you ever noticed that when people tend to restate what you have stated, they generally tend to spin a completely different yarn in doing so? The above is a good example of this. The only reason you restated it, is so you could change it.

Although I no longer expect people to engage in serious debate here, because it doesnt suit their rhetoric and that is what they seem to stick to religiously. I had hoped that there would be some who would have it about them to stand on their own two feet, ignore the bs party line, and just have an honest conversation about it. I mean it isnt as if they are going to take away Dublin's trophies if you do. Like I admitted AOS went to ground easily against fermanagh - nobody died after I did. What are you so afraid of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Well eyewitness accounts are generally cast iron.
    They are actually quite the opposite, you can look it up. Eyewitness testimonies are notorious unreliable.
    I pointed out that the behaviour of a faction of the dublin fans was poor at a certain time, and I underlined why. What is not to be taken seriously about that?
    I've not followed your debate very closely but you seem to cling very closely to this "faction of Dublin fans" and want to wage some war against them. I honestly don't think you will find any of them in here. The majority of the regular posters in here will be in PP tomorrow, the weekend or for the club championships as well as at the league games. I would class these as genuine and proper GAA fans not part of this "faction of Dublin fans" you seek, which we will only see come the summer.
    Although I no longer expect people to engage in serious debate here, because it doesnt suit their rhetoric and that is what they seem to stick to religiously. I had hoped that there would be some who would have it about them to stand on their own two feet, ignore the bs party line, and just have an honest conversation about it. I mean it isnt as if they are going to take away Dublin's trophies if you do. Like I admitted AOS went to ground easily against fermanagh - nobody died after I did. What are you so afraid of?
    I don't think it was ever your intention to engage in serious debate. I think it was your goal to tell us how Lee Keegan is "a giant of the game" and how we should worship him but when people didn't agree you weren't happy, became defensive and started becoming aggressive towards anybody who disagreed with you.

If you do want your serious debate I'd suggest trying to tone things down a bit. Innocent conversations can seem a lot more aggressive when they are in text over the internet instead of spoken face to face. I'd also suggest you try to understand that everybody, including yourself, looks at every situation through rose tinted glasses and people are entitled to their own opinion too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This should be interesting ;)

55186417.jpg

Ah yoppers, me aul mucker. Howz it hangin'? How is 2017 going for you so far? What did you ask Santy for ? No, wait....let me guess....it's the same thing you've been asking for, these past 61 odd years. Best of luck with that ! :D

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    They are actually quite the opposite, you can look it up. Eyewitness testimonies are notorious unreliable.

Even when there are 4 million odd of them and one of the incidents has already had a ban served for it?

I've not followed your debate very closely but you seem to cling very closely to this "faction of Dublin fans" and want to wage some war against them. I honestly don't think you will find any of them in here. The majority of the regular posters in here will be in PP tomorrow, the weekend or for the club championships as well as at the league games. I would class these as genuine and proper GAA fans not part of this "faction of Dublin fans" you seek, which we will only see come the summer.

Well I had thought that, but then only one poster was willing to admit that Dublin were lucky against Kerry in 2011 with the mcmenamin goal! Hardly a ringing endorsement...

I don't think it was ever your intention to engage in serious debate. I think it was your goal to tell us how Lee Keegan is "a giant of the game" and how we should worship him but when people didn't agree you weren't happy, became defensive and started becoming aggressive towards anybody who disagreed with you.

Well that is unfortunate, and you are wrong, but as you already pointed out, you haven't followed my points in any great detail, so we can probably dismiss your thoughts on it out of hand... I mean, would you listen to my thoughts on the game in PP, if I had openly admitted beforehand that I hadn't watched it?

If you do want your serious debate I'd suggest trying to tone things down a bit. Innocent conversations can seem a lot more aggressive when they are in text over the internet instead of spoken face to face. I'd also suggest you try to understand that everybody, including yourself, looks at every situation through rose tinted glasses and people are entitled to their own opinion too.

In what way exactly though? Saying please and thank you? I have spoken in civil terms for the most part, bar an odd response to an uncivil post. Frankly, the only way something will seem aggressive to a reader, is if they assume an aggressive undertone and read it that way. But it isn't my fault if someone makes assumptions before they read the thing, it is the fault of the reader.

As for rose tinted glasses, I don't believe anything I have stated is unbalanced. You take issue with my description of keegan yet his own peers have voted him to that position and speak of him in those terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Winning footballer of the year doesn't make him "comfortably the best player in the game"

As for your "arguably the best half back of all time" statement...

Rose tinted glassed indeed

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Winning footballer of the year doesn't make him "comfortably the best player in the game"

As for your "arguably the best half back of all time" statement...

Rose tinted glassed indeed

Well I think it does. When you consider that the winner 99% of the time comes from the winning county, it shows how far ahead he must have been. Plus you have direct rivals for the position like Mattie Donnelly claiming that he was not only the best this year but the last 3 years too, it displays his dominance.

Re your second issue, well he has been compared to tomas o'se regularly, only with better marking ability. O'Se is classed at that level. Therefore, why would that statement be an issue? Pretty straightforward really Id have thought...

Have you ever considered that maybe the issue here is that some people might have problem with giving deserved credit to players, just because they are not from their own county?

Well I think it does. When you consider that the winner 99% of the time comes from the winning county, it shows how far ahead he must have been. Plus you have direct rivals for the position like Mattie Donnelly claiming that he was not only the best this year but the last 3 years too, it displays his dominance.

Re your second issue, well he has been compared to tomas o'se regularly, only with better marking ability. O'Se is classed at that level. Therefore, why would that statement be an issue? Pretty straightforward really Id have thought...

Have you ever considered that maybe the issue here is that some people might have problem with giving deserved credit to players, just because they are not from their own county?
    I've no problem giving credit to Keegan. You might think I'm going against the grain here as a Dublin fan but I actually like him. He's a terrific player with a fantastic will to win and any team would be glad to have him. I wasn't surprised he won footballer of the year and I certainly don't think any Dublin player was "robbed" of the award by him winning it. I also agree that the criticism he comes in for is over the top.

I don't agree that winning footballer of the year makes a player the best in the country. Colm Cooper is the best player I've seen play the game yet he never won footballer of the player.

As for best half back of all time, I'm sure there's players from previous eras would be in the conversation but from the ones I've seen play I'd have McGeeney and Moynahan ahead of him.

I've no problem giving credit to Keegan. You might think I'm going against the grain here as a Dublin fan but I actually like him. He's a terrific player with a fantastic will to win and any team would be glad to have him. I wasn't surprised he won footballer of the year and I certainly don't think any Dublin player was "robbed" of the award by him winning it. I also agree that the criticism he comes in for is over the top.

That is fair enough. However, the evidence of the forum would suggest that you are indeed in a small minority...

I don't agree that winning footballer of the year makes a player the best in the country. Colm Cooper is the best player I've seen play the game yet he never won footballer of the player.

But Cooper hasn't showed that kind of form in a long time. All you are really doing here is changing the parameters of what constitutes the best player in the country. I mean if that is the case, does that mean Jack O'Shea is still the best midfielder in the country?

As for best half back of all time, I'm sure there's players from previous eras would be in the conversation but from the ones I've seen play I'd have McGeeney and Moynahan ahead of him.

Hence I said arguably. Apparently you agree with that, unbeknown to yourself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah yoppers, me aul mucker. Howz it hangin'? How is 2017 going for you so far? What did you ask Santy for ? No, wait....let me guess....it's the same thing you've been asking for, these past 61 odd years. Best of luck with that ! :D

Alls good chief. Still slightly to the left but the new drugs will fix it.
    No only 41 years in my case, I was only but a twinkle for the other 20 ;)

See you for a bust up in Croker in March ;)

But Cooper hasn't showed that kind of form in a long time. All you are really doing here is changing the parameters of what constitutes the best player in the country. I mean if that is the case, does that mean Jack O'Shea is still the best midfielder in the country?

Hence I said arguably. Apparently you agree with that, unbeknown to yourself.
    F*ck sake. You're being deliberately obtuse with nonsense like this.

Where have I said Cooper is currently the best player in the country?
    I merely stated someone being voted footballer of the year doesn't make them the best player in the country and used Cooper in his prime (not now) as an example.

As for your other point, well no I don't arguably agree that Keegan is the best half back of all time which is why I named two players that I think were better than him. I can name full forwards who I think were better than Bernard Brogan which means I don't think Bernard is arguably the best full forward of all time.

More fool me I suppose for discussing this with someone who calls themselves MayoAreMagic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

The O'Byrne Cup hasn't even started & we've already had the s**** ridiculous debates!

Happy New Year to all the True Blues, here's to an even more successful year than 2016!

F*ck sake. You're being deliberately obtuse with nonsense like this.

Where have I said Cooper is currently the best player in the country?
    I merely stated someone being voted footballer of the year doesn't make them the best player in the country and used Cooper in his prime (not now) as an example.

Well then I misunderstood your point, as I thought it was yourself who was being deliberately obtuse here, hence my JOS example. Although I never claimed that the POTY award was the sole reason that he was the best player, to be fair.

As for your other point, well no I don't arguably agree that Keegan is the best half back of all time which is why I named two players that I think were better than him. I can name full forwards who I think were better than Bernard Brogan which means I don't think Bernard is arguably the best full forward of all time.

And Id argue that keegan has more strings in his bow than mcgeeney, and while maybe not as good an all round footballer as Moynihan, probably has a skillset more specific to excelling as a halfback. In other words, it is arguable, which is what I said.

Interesting that you interest in the topics being discussed begins and ends with Lee Keegan, considering he was barely a footnote in this discussion. Why is that?

23 players missing tonight due to Cuala, colleges and injuries. I know we'll get the college's players back for the league but missing the Cuala players will really put a dent in our chances of staying up in Division 1. You also have to remember the 5 players that were dropped after last year.

It'll be interesting to see Rushe in another new position tonight, midfield. It's surprising McMorrow is on the bench instead of midfield to me. On the other hand 6 minors from last year are on the panel which only bodes well for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The Mayo chap is making mugs of ye lads.:D

Well then I misunderstood your point, as I thought it was yourself who was being deliberately obtuse here, hence my JOS example.
    Sure you did :rolleyes:
    And Id argue that keegan has more strings in his bow than mcgeeney, and while maybe not as good an all round footballer as Moynihan, probably has a skillset more specific to excelling as a halfback. In other words, it is arguable, which is what I said.

Just cos you keep saying it is arguable doesn't make it so. You think he's arguably the GOAT, I don't. I'd be pretty confident that most posters on here (from all counties, not just Dublin and Mayo) would say he isn't.
    Interesting that you interest in the topics being discussed begins and ends with Lee Keegan, considering he was barely a footnote in this discussion. Why is that?
    Why is it interesting? I commented on your claims about Keegan being "comfortably the best player in the country" and "arguably the greatest half back of all time". I've already given you my opinion on him which you said was fair enough and went against what most Dublin posters on here think of him. Now you seem to be implying that I've some sort of anti Keegan bias.

yop wrote: »
    Alls good chief. Still slightly to the left but the new drugs will fix it.
    No only 41 years in my case, I was only but a twinkle for the other 20 ;)

See you for a bust up in Croker in March ;)

Glad you're well. (Hope the Dad is too.) Good to know the drugs are of some help. Remember not to take the blue and navy pills together. They'll give you a terrible dose of the scutters. :D

Can't wait 'till March 4. The fixture has thrown up some very tasty encounters these past few years. Last years slugfest in the monsoon was great craic. Not sure how much fun it will be for your lot though. In the Jim Gavin era, Dublin and Mayo have played 10 games. Mayo haven't won any of them. Oh well....the 11th time is the charm, as your proctologist often says !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just saw there that Conal Keaney's medals were robbed from his car.

At least we know it was not a Mayo man, hurling means nothing to them, and they are only after football all-ireland medals

http://www.newstalk.com/ExDublin-dual-star-Conal-Keaney-appeals-for-return-of-stolen-medals

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Just saw there that Conal Keaney's medals were robbed from his car.

At least we know it was not a Mayo man, hurling means nothing to them, and they are only after football all-ireland medals

http://www.newstalk.com/ExDublin-dual-star-Conal-Keaney-appeals-for-return-of-stolen-medals

Scumbags. Hope they OD.

Hurlers beat Carlow by seven points with pretty makeshift team. Rushie sent off.

He won a football All Ireland with 'Boden last year.

Scumbags. Hope they OD.

Hurlers beat Carlow by seven points with pretty makeshift team. Rushie sent off.

Did any fellas stand out or look like they could push for a starting place?

I know it was against Carlow but I would take any glimmer of a next new hurling hope at this stage!

He won a football All Ireland with 'Boden last year.

Opps apologies I meant inter-county all-ireland.

Still can't believe Boden won that though they should have got knocked out so many times.

Opps apologies I meant inter-county all-ireland.

Still can't believe Boden won that though they should have got knocked out so many times.

No worries, I'm starting to lose track of all the competitions Dubs have won too. I fully expect the Serie A, the World Tiddleywinks Championship and the Wimbledon Ladies Singles trophies to wind up in Dublin, at some stage next year. Sadly, a Dub won't be winning the Best Actor Oscar. Big Aido has that one sewn up !

• Advertisement

Did any fellas stand out or look like they could push for a starting place?
    Some nice performances from some of last years minors and a couple of people did stand out but it was the exact same this time last year. Some very good performances from some individuals but then they never featured in the league or championship. I think this year might be the same.

Carlow were poor. I was actually surprised at how bad they were and can see them finishing bottom of the group even to UCD who we beat easy last year. If it wasn't for their keeper and very poor Dublin shooting the scoreboard wouldn't have looked as close as it did.

Rushe was an idiot and deserved his red card. Swung at a Carlow player in retaliation in front of the linesman.

Has anybody noticed the fixtures on dublingaa.ie and leinstergaa.ie don't match?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement