Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Paulzx wrote: »
    Ehhhh....this is the Dublin GAA thread. If people can't comment as a "dublin gaa person" on this thread then where can they?

There are loads of threads to discuss general gaa themes without a county bias. I wouldn't consider this such a thread or for example the Mayo GAA thread as one.

For you to even think like that leads me to believe that you are slightly out of touch with the theme of the thread.

I was under the impression that a dublin gaa thread would be about issues involving dublin gaa. You seem to be saying that it is just a place to be overtly biased and unconcerned with reality. A sort of fanboy paradise. If it is then fair enough, i am in the wrong place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

But just to clarify for you, Dublin do have an advantage of 10-1 over Mayo (the county with average population). Dublin's are currently unable to get a decent percentage of these people playing, but that doesn't mean you discount the 10-1 advantage, as that could change - in fact it is changing if you look at the level of kids out playing the game. Therefore whittling down to the level you have isn't something I would accept as reasonable. That is really the thing - mayo are probably close to their optimum, Dublin are miles from theirs. If that is left unchecked the game suffers. We are often told the best period of football was the 90s. The reason being so many different teams capable of winning. That is something worth considering.

Thanks for the clarification.

Large non-involved population = Big advantage, unless it's Cork, London or New York. - Check.
    Small Population = Big Disadvantage, unless it's Kerry, Donegal or Kilkenny. - Check.

No axe being ground here at all, at all.

Jaden wrote: »

Large non-involved population = Big advantage, unless it's Cork, London or New York. - Check.
    Small Population = Big Disadvantage, unless it's Kerry, Donegal or Kilkenny. - Check.

No it is an advantage. But no point making an issue of it when it isn't affecting the game - that is just being reasonable. If a time came where it was affecting the game then that could be addressed.

Again, if you had viewed the entire gaa landscape, instead of looking from a Dublin gaa pov only, you would recognise that. You are always onto a loser when your default starting point is to view yourself as a victim of something or other. This has manifested itself in your belief that I have an axe to grind, when all I am espousing is fairness and common sense on the topic. Like you seem to think giving everyone the same treatment is somehow cheating Dublin. Alarm bells should be ringing man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

DoctaDee wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed coaching over the last few years is that Gaelic and Rugby have a relatively happy coexistence - the rugby season runs Sept-March or so which is generally the down time for Juvenile GAA with a slight overlap. We have a number of lads playing rugby which keeps them ticking over and also provides a good deal of physicality to their game, on the other hand we're seeing a number of rugby players coming on board with the focus on their ball handling and footwork.

Soccer, (and I like soccer) is designed to keep their participation exclusively to that game, very little leeway to introduce those players to a new game even on a partime basis

It's possible to play GAA and soccer up to a certain age group. I done it myself. However when you get to early/mid teens the fixture clashes cause a problem generally meaning you have to give one of them if you wish to play to a decent level.

It happened to me and it's a difficult decision which is normally based factoring in your ability at each sport but just as importantly on what your friends are going to do. No matter how each sport promotes itself these two factors are going to be the most important.

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that a dublin gaa thread would be about issues involving dublin gaa. You seem to be saying that it is just a place to be overtly biased and unconcerned with reality. A sort of fanboy paradise. If it is then fair enough, i am in the wrong place.

I'm sorry but i responded to your comment instructing people on the Dublin GAA thread to not be "Dublin GAA" people but "gaa people." You are deliberately now changing the direction of your comment and my reply. You seem to want to pull arguments in every direction, go off on tangents and presume that your opinions are "proof" enough to win a debate.

You are now throwing out "fanboy" comments as a term of abuse. It's becoming tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Eggball is getting bigger and bigger and I don't like it!!

I'll be off to tbe eggball on Friday so I am.

I'm sorry but i responded to your comment instructing people on the Dublin GAA thread to not be "Dublin GAA" people but "gaa people." You are deliberately now changing the direction of your comment and my reply. You seem to want to pull arguments in every direction, go off on tangents and presume that your opinions are "proof" enough to win a debate.

You are now throwing out "fanboy" comments as a term of abuse. It's becoming tiresome.

No I clarified my point is all, i.e. sometimes the bigger picture is more important than your own county winning all the time - a good example of that is the SPL in scotland. If you misunderstood it a bit at the start no big deal.
    I used the term fanboy because that is essentially who you intimated the thread to be for, as far as I could see.

It's possible to play GAA and soccer up to a certain age group. I done it myself. However when you get to early/mid teens the fixture clashes cause a problem generally meaning you have to give one of them if you wish to play to a decent level.

It happened to me and it's a difficult decision which is normally based factoring in your ability at each sport but just as importantly on what your friends are going to do. No matter how each sport promotes itself these two factors are going to be the most important.

Same here. Although I had to make that call at about 16. Somehow managed to fool my soccer manager that I wasn't playing GAA up to then!

Went for the soccerball myself when I had to choose. But I was better at it so it wasn't a difficult decision.

Plus I seen the wages they were getting. I had high aspirations alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

What's the craic with Stuart Lowndes?

Just seen he is playing for Meath tonight. Eric's brother, played for Dublin previously.

Is this akin to all the "Irish" players lining up to declare for Big Jack in the 80's!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Same here. Although I had to make that call at about 16. Somehow managed to fool my soccer manager that I wasn't playing GAA up to then!

Went for the soccerball myself when I had to choose. But I was better at it so it wasn't a difficult decision.

Plus I seen the wages they were getting. I had high aspirations alright.

I think that's something the gaa needs to work on.....

A lot of teenagers (and their dads) have a delusion that they will make a career out of sport - soccer, rugby, aussie rules or whatever.

Obviously very few make it in the way that we imagine - i.e. bigtime Robbie Keane style.

Quite a few make it in a half assed way, playing league of Ireland, working part time, not one thing or another.....going to England and coming back at 25 or playing as a reserve for Peterborough....same with Aussie Rules.

I'd much rather my kid targeting his/ her senior county team; or even club team.....than say playing for Bohs or Sligo Rovers.....as a career move and as regards fulfilling your passions in sport, I think its a much smarter way to go about it......but people don't see it that way because GAA is amateur and the other sports are professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No I clarified my point is all, i.e. sometimes the bigger picture is more important than your own county winning all the time - a good example of that is the SPL in scotland. If you misunderstood it a bit at the start no big deal.
    I used the term fanboy because that is essentially who you intimated the thread to be for, as far as I could see.

You seem to be contradicting yourself now. The bigger picture is clearly the club scene where most GAA players want to play, yet your most recent crackpot idea was for a second Dublin team to disrupt that bigger picture.

Bizarre to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Just seen he is playing for Meath tonight. Eric's brother, played for Dublin previously.

Is this akin to all the "Irish" players lining up to declare for Big Jack in the 80's!?

Wasn't there a DOnaghmore-Ashnbourne guy on the Dublin panel the other day.

Not enough young players coming through in Dublin obviously....:D

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think that's something the gaa needs to work on.....

A lot of teenagers (and their dads) have a delusion that they will make a career out of sport - soccer, rugby, aussie rules or whatever.

Obviously very few make it in the way that we imagine - i.e. bigtime Robbie Keane style.

Quite a few make it in a half assed way, playing league of Ireland, working part time, not one thing or another.....going to England and coming back at 25 or playing as a reserve for Peterborough....same with Aussie Rules.

I'd much rather my kid targeting his/ her senior county team; or even club team.....than say playing for Bohs or Sligo Rovers.....as a career move and as regards fulfilling your passions in sport, I think its a much smarter way to go about it......but people don't see it that way because GAA is amateur and the other sports are professional.

I was only joking! It was simply that I was a lot better at the aul soccer.

But I agree with your points.

I'll be off to tbe eggball on Friday so I am.

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenstuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Asbbourne isn't really Meath "proper" much the same way that Donegal isn't really "proper" Ulster. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

About a year ago he transferred from Peregrines to Dunboyne, another brother younger than Stuart did the same transfer a few seasons previously. Lowndes family are originally from the Dunboyne area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

No it is an advantage. But no point making an issue of it when it isn't affecting the game - that is just being reasonable. If a time came where it was affecting the game then that could be addressed.

So it's an advantage that's not actually an advantage right now. It has no material affect currently, but it's a nice line to trot out, as the big difference sounds good.

* But Hark! What sound of yonder axe and whetstone.*
    Again, if you had viewed the entire gaa landscape, instead of looking from a Dublin gaa pov only, you would recognise that. You are always onto a loser when your default starting point is to view yourself as a victim of something or other. This has manifested itself in your belief that I have an axe to grind, when all I am espousing is fairness and common sense on the topic. Like you seem to think giving everyone the same treatment is somehow cheating Dublin. Alarm bells should be ringing man.

I don't mind discussion or debate, but fabricating my point of view is not on. I have never held the position that Dublin are victims of anything not of their own making. You have literally plucked this idea out of the air, and assigned it to me. Dublin are the sole architects of both their own misfortune and success. If you are going to invent my opinion for yourself, you'd be better off having the argument in your head, no need to be typing it out here.

On the other hand, you play the poor impoverished, isolated, "backward" card, when it suits you. That is literally the definition of Victim Portrayal.

You continually trot out statements around huge population advantages, and tiny fractions of funding. When numbers are produced, you ignore them.

You want to see injustice, ergo, it's all you will ever see. You are imagining things I've said, and quoting them to suit this narrative. I can't keep correcting you, it's pointless.

This is a waste of time.

It would be less painfull and more productive to repeatedly bang me head off a reinforced concrete wall. Actually, it would be easier to get through to the concrete wall.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Asbbourne isn't really Meath "proper" much the same way that Donegal isn't really "proper" Ulster. ;)

There's a reason we want to build that wall!

• Advertisement

[/B]

This is a waste of time.

It would be less painfull and more productive to repeatedly bang me head off a reinforced concrete wall. Actually, it would be easier to get through to the concrete wall.

The wall would also have less 'chips' ;)

There's a reason we want to build that wall!

Bloody Mexicans eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I saw Lowndes a few times when he was with Peregrines - safe to say they saw a bit of the Mickey Burkes about him

Ah ya can't fault young Michael Deegan from following in his aul fellas footsteps .. he's hoping like all father/son relationships in football that he can rely on a good deal of nepotism ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

So it's an advantage that's not actually an advantage right now. It has no material affect currently, but it's a nice line to trot out, as the big difference sounds good.

* But Hark! What sound of yonder axe and whetstone.*

I don't mind discussion or debate, but fabricating my point of view is not on. I have never held the position that Dublin are victims of anything not of their own making. You have literally plucked this idea out of the air, and assigned it to me. Dublin are the sole architects of both their own misfortune and success. If you are going to invent my opinion for yourself, you'd be better off having the argument in your head, no need to be typing it out here.

On the other hand, you play the poor impoverished, isolated, "backward" card, when it suits you. That is literally the definition of Victim Portrayal.

You continually trot out statements around huge population advantages, and tiny fractions of funding. When numbers are produced, you ignore them.

You want to see injustice, ergo, it's all you will ever see. You are imagining things I've said, and quoting them to suit this narrative. I can't keep correcting you, it's pointless.

Injustice, disadvantage, bad luck - there's a pattern, which serves a purpose. You're wasting your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I saw Lowndes a few times when he was with Peregrines - safe to say they saw a bit of the Mickey Burkes about him
    Amateur oral hygenist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bambi wrote:
    Amateur oral hygenist?

A bit of a noodler, big in the Boyne

https://youtu.be/X1MBkVPOc8o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Back from the games in Parnell. I still have my fingers and toes.

The hurling was a good game decent scores and determination from both sides.

But the football was very odd. Dublin did not get any score until well after the 20min mark it looked like they were in for a right hammering. Lucky for Dublin UCD hit lots of sides.
    But then the Clontarf softie (only player to wear leggings) Mathias mcdonacha redeemed the wearing of leggings with a solo goal to put some gloss on the scoreboard.
    Dublin were terrified/told not to shoot plus added to poor movement from the forwards and slow ball.

Then in the second half either ucd switched off or else dublin woke up. The score was down to a few points between them at one stage with a couple minutes to go. But another UCD goal killed the game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Well if Longford can beat us in the OBC then Flash and Belfield IT certainly can.

Stoner wrote: »
    A bit of a noodler, big in the Boyne

https://youtu.be/X1MBkVPOc8o

Real noodlers don't wear gloves. Shower a bleedin' pansies !

• Advertisement

How did Jack Mc play gorm ?

How did Jack Mc play gorm ?

He didn't really stand out to me if I am honest.

Maybe, it was because the game was so bitty and lacked any decent flow most of the time (especially in the first half).

EDIT: I just looked up the Irish Times site and they used McCaffery in thier headline to say he made a goal-line clearance near the end of the game. :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jack-mccaffrey-denies-dublin-with-goal-line-clearance-as-ucd-triumph-1.2933752

But, I think it is clickbait personally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

He didn't really stand out to me if I am honest.

Maybe, it was because the game was so bitty and lacked any decent flow most of the time (especially in the first half).

EDIT: I just looked up the Irish Times site and they used McCaffery in thier headline to say he made a goal-line clearance near the end of the game. :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jack-mccaffrey-denies-dublin-with-goal-line-clearance-as-ucd-triumph-1.2933752

But, I think it is clickbait personally!

The journal also used him in their headline and they're known for the clickbait so we'll take your word for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Did McCaffery not make the 'goal line' block from Garry Sweeneys shot at the end of the first half? Would of been only 2 in it at HT if it went in. Personally think Cunningham messing up the goal chance early enough in the 2nd half is what really cost us.

I had to work late last night and I missed this.

But I've read that too. IMO It can be difficult sometimes to see the county lads shine at games, I'd often go to a club game and leave with a lot of respect for the selectors.

One thing though now, you can IMO tell from the build of the guys that are ready to rock.

If for example Niall Walsh, he's looking good this year, just as McCaffery , Mannion and Costello all did before they had their more impressive sessions. There is a lean build that you see on the guys that don't fade quickly, for example Kevin Mac or Buckley for Kerry don't have it but are still great players, but for up and coming guys it's a good indicator. I noticed that a lot of the DCU lads at the weekend were that chunky build, the Roscommon lads say compared to the Mayo lads, you can see a lean hardness in the Mayo lads that the other lads in their neck of the woods don't have and it shows it's worth come September.

IMO from Dublin's perspective the guys who came out of the recent leagues and O'Byrne cups have all had this advantage over the others around them.

For example Fennel didn't have it and didn't last the pace either even though he's a very effective player at club level and could imo have achieved more at county level under different conditions.

But it's something to look for at these games anyway. Final example, McHugh is on the verge but you'd still wonder does he need another year training at this level, or would he be a very good sub ? He certainly brings things together in attack.

But I've read that too. IMO It can be difficult sometimes to see the county lads shine at games, I'd often go to a club game and leave with a lot of respect for the selectors.

One thing though now, you can IMO tell from the build of the guys that are ready to rock.

If for example Niall Walsh, he's looking good this year, just as McCaffery , Mannion and Costello all did before they had their more impressive sessions. There is a lean build that you see on the guys that don't fade quickly, for example Kevin Mac or Buckley for Kerry don't have it but are still great players, but for up and coming guys it's a good indicator. I noticed that a lot of the DCU lads at the weekend were that chunky build, the Roscommon lads say compared to the Mayo lads, you can see a lean hardness in the Mayo lads that the other lads in their neck of the woods don't have and it shows it's worth come September.

IMO from Dublin's perspective the guys who came out of the recent leagues and O'Byrne cups have all had this advantage over the others around them.

For example Fennel didn't have it and didn't last the pace either even though he's a very effective player at club level and could imo have achieved more at county level under different conditions.

But it's something to look for at these games anyway. Final example, McHugh is on the verge but you'd still wonder does he need another year training at this level, or would he be a very good sub ? He certainly brings things together in attack.

TL:DR - Roscommon people are fat.

• Advertisement

TL:DR - Roscommon people are fat.

Big boned!!!

You know what I mean though. Your own M Murphy will probably be the last top class fat player in the GAA. The rest will be McHughs

Colin Corkery was the best big boned player I've seen in the flesh .. so much for the camera adding 10 pounds ;)

Funny I was thinking when I read this post that you could not get a bigger contrast between Fennell and Jack McCaffery.

It is like different horses on different ground.

I can see the paper's reasoning for putting Jack McCaffery in the headline as he is he glamour player, and creates the narrative.

They could hardly put some lesser known fella in the headline, it will not sell papers and get causal readers looking at it.

It makes me trust the press less though.

DoctaDee wrote:
    Colin Corkery was the best big boned player I've seen in the flesh .. so much for the camera adding 10 pounds

He was class alright , fantastic solo

Colin Corkery was the best big boned player I've seen in the flesh .. so much for the camera adding 10 pounds ;)

Vinnie Murphy man myself.

• Advertisement

I'll see your vinnie and raise you a joe mcnally

The modern player is built like a racing snake alright

The Rossies are fat and the Mayo lot are lean famine victims? :eek:

Jesus Christ DD, what are you trying to start? The crowd whest of the Shannon, hate us enough as it is.

Anyway, what's the jackanory for Sunday? Even if we bate the Wexicans, DCU have to beat UCD, for us to progress, right?

Big boned!!!

You know what I mean though. Your own M Murphy will probably be the last top class fat player in the GAA. The rest will be McHughs

How many bleedin' sons are there?

Poor Mrs McHugh!

Jesus Christ DD, what are you trying to start? The crowd whest of the Shannon, hate us enough as it is.

Oderint, dum metuant

Bambi wrote: »
    Oderint, dum metuant

Favourite saying of Caligula no less. :D

I don't know how he wasn't knackered wandering up to slot over those frees.

I don't know how he wasn't knackered wandering up to slot over those frees.

He was as quick at 36 as he was at 26 :D

The Rossies are fat and the Mayo lot are lean famine victims? :eek:

Anyway, what's the jackanory for Sunday? Even if we bate the Wexicans, DCU have to beat UCD, for us to progress, right?

:O not me PD, the force is strong I'm not going to the dark side anytime soon. Are ya heading down to 'scorthy Sunday? I think all things considered I'll leave it so .. I think the OBC dream is over for this year! Kildares year again

The joys of preseason training

b44e3714bb70ae9721efd4bb2a215941.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dubs got rub of the chalice today with DCU bating UCD.

Kildare next week in Newbridge.

A tempting trip.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement