Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The Flourbags are sick. Sick I tells ye :-)

Not sick, just depressed and demoralised. There is no future for inter county football in Kildare. This feeling usually comes about in the summer after our annual hammering but is happening earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not sick, just depressed and demoralised. There is no future for inter county football in Kildare. This feeling usually comes about in the summer after our annual hammering but is happening earlier this year.

I was only joking Frankie. Dublin pulled it out of the fire, but wouldn't read too much into it.

Will be interesting to see how Kildare do in league. Some good underage teams and that's starting to show a bit.

That was the best of our underage teams who have been able to compete admirably with Dublin being beat very comfortably by Dublin's third team (should have had a few goals). It is only 2 weeks away from a fairly crucial game away to Meath so fitness should be reasonable.

Changing managers won't solve things either, we have a team who have been destroyed mentally by numerous hammering in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good showing from Scully today.

Reddin too, while having an almost unlimited supply of quality forwards is well publicised it is the same case in the half back line. Eric Lowndes might end up playing for Meath in a couple of years if he starts falling down the pecking order.

Reddin at six is a strange one. However against Wexford last week he showed some if that toughness the lads here like. At one stage he took about four decent tackles from three different players and still held onto the ball.

I'm not sure how familiar he is with the role but he doesn't venture much upfield , thats strange as he's usually in the half-forward line for Dublin. It does look interesting though. Lads like Scully and McHugh should be pushing for places now, with Alan brogan gone and BB pushing on these lads need to slot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Reddin too, while having an almost unlimited supply of quality forwards is well publicised it is the same case in the half back line. Eric Lowndes might end up playing for Meath in a couple of years if he starts falling down the pecking order.

I'd much prefer if he just played for his current club all summer to be honest rather than join his brothers down the road.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

MOD

I've moved all the most recent posts related to the redevelopment of the Spawell Complex here should you wish to continue the debate. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Stoner wrote: »
    Good showing from Scully today.

He really took the bull by the horns. Very impressive couple of points.

You'd nearly feel bad for Kildare. They should have won the game by 4-5 points... although we could have beat them by 4-5 ourselves had we taken some goal chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

EICVD wrote: »
    I'd much prefer if he just played for his current club all summer to be honest rather than join his brothers down the road.....

Lowndes was a minor hurler when we got to the All-Ireland Final a few years ago. He should follow the lead of Keaney and boost the hurling team!

• Advertisement

He really took the bull by the horns. Very impressive couple of points.

You'd nearly feel bad for Kildare. They should have won the game by 4-5 points... although we could have beat them by 4-5 ourselves had we taken some goal chances.

Yeah pretty much our assessment on the way home too. I just thought the lads were relentless in a lot of ways similar to their first string counterparts, concede the 2 goals but continue tagging on the points and chipping away at the lead. 2nd half they upped the hassling & harrying and I think Kildares composure sorta deserted them under pressure - but I had a nagging feeling that the Lillies would find a way particulalrly after O'Garas missed goal.

The altruist in me could see the bigger benefit in a Kildare win, but it wasn't to be and on the upside I've a 20 min drive to Drogheda on Sunday :D

I take it the Spring Series tickets are available for collection for PP holders in Dorset Street ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I take it the Spring Series tickets are available for collection for PP holders in Dorset Street ?
    There is no spring series. It's single tickets for all games so it'll be collection the week before each game in Croke Park I presume.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    There is no spring series. It's single tickets for all games so it'll be collection the week before each game in Croke Park I presume.

Ah right yeah - I thought you collected all the tickets in the one go.. ta

If you have PP pass then you have to collect in Dorset Street. Usually went to stand because of weather, standing for hours for double headers, getting old and so on and so forth :-) ..... but tried to use PP for one game in office opposite Gills and it was no dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nope.

Rang the DCB there this afternoon.

PP holders can pick up their league match tickets, from Tuesday Feb 7th onwards. We'll get all of our tickets for all our home league games, on the one visit. We don't have to go back in, on the week of each home game, to get your ticket for that weeks game. Unlike previous years, when we got one master ticket, that got you into all the home league games, we''ll be given individual ticket for each game.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Nope.

Rang the DCB there this afternoon.

PP holders can pick up their league match tickets, from Tuesday Feb 7th onwards. We'll get all of our tickets for all our home league games, on the one visit. We don't have to go back in, on the week of each home game, to get your ticket for that weeks game. Unlike previous years, when we got one master ticket, that got you into all the home league games, we''ll be given individual ticket for each game.

Ta PD always pays to ask

.. and in other news I see young Deegan has thrown in a transfer request from Don/Ash to Na Fianna - sure to upset some I suppose,

Typical Na Fianna carry on, with their love of fordinners....comin' over here and takin' our jobs and stealin' our All Ireland medals wimmin. :P

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Typical Na Fianna carry on, with their love of fordinners....comin' over here and takin' our jobs and stealin' our All Ireland medals wimmin. :P

Vins must've been full :P

When isn't it? :D

ProudDUB wrote:
    Typical Na Fianna carry on, with their love of fordinners....comin' over here and takin' our jobs and stealin' our All Ireland medals wimmin.
    Good move for him I think. Na Fianna were always very civilised 😀

I see Shane Carthy is not making the starting team at DCU.
    I wonder will he get a run in the league. He looked good last year

Last year's finalists DCU hit 3 goals as they thrash Queen's in Sigerson opener http://the42.ie/3205009

I see Shane Carthy is not making the starting team at DCU.
    I wonder will he get a run in the league. He looked good last year

Last year's finalists DCU hit 3 goals as they thrash Queen's in Sigerson opener http://the42.ie/3205009

DCU be worth a few bob to win Sigerson but value gone now after today. Or perhaps not. 7/2.

Impressive performance today. There will be some hitting at training games.

Jimmy Gavin has nightmare. McHugh be in hunt for a place.

Dublin future is good. Which must fill Mayo are Magic with joy unbounded :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How many did Hudson end up with in the end?

Good to see young O'Gara grab a goal too. I had high hopes for him before his injury.

Impressive performance today. There will be some hitting at training games.

Jimmy Gavin has nightmare. McHugh be in hunt for a place.

Dublin future is good. Which must fill Mayo are Magic with joy unbounded :-)

Great achievement for a bunch of lads that only came together a month ago. I don't think any of them were fitted with bionic parts down the secret lab on the Long Mile, and all without the help of a team sponsored Subaru too, remarkable all told ;)

Who would you give a run?

Hudson been there or thereabouts last while.

McHugh is future.

The current team is beyond doubt not only the best Dub team ever but possibly best gaelic football team ever.

Be hard to get it to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

How did Basquel do? The fact his old man is a fully signed up Mayo51 man will wind them up even more😂

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

ArielAtom wrote: »
    How did Basquel do? The fact his old man is a fully signed up Mayo51 man will wind them up even more😂

He will probably have to head west to have any chance of playing in an all ireland

• Advertisement

McHugh is future.

The current team is beyond doubt not only the best Dub team ever but possibly best gaelic football team ever.

The main benefit I'd see of giving a fair few of the OBC team a run out in the early league is the fact that they're match fit compared to their more illustrious counterparts. Jack Smith in the corner was a tough defender in the U21's 4/5 years ago and he has the look of a lad about to resurface into a dependable defender at IC level.

Reddin, Scully and Gaughan were impressive and could see a trip to Breffini next week, along with McHugh and maybe Hudson on the frees if Rock and Costello are given time to blow out the dirty diesel - in fairness to Hudson he's well capable of winning his own ball so there's more than one string to his bow.

I think the further into the league campaign we go the less we'll see of these lads, tho in saying that it was Jim Gavin that provided the OBC panel list to DCB so he may see potential to develop 1 or 2 of the lads further into the season - my guess would be Reddin & McHugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

McHugh is future.

Better chance getting in for full backs and midfielders light in that area.

Hope Comeford starts all/most of the league in goal great experience for him.

I can see a lot of young Dublin footballers playing in the half backs and forwards in particular, fading away from the game.
    They have no chance of breaking in.

If the any are reading this and can hurl declare for the hurlers instead and try and convince Kilkenny, Costello and Brady that they are better off there too (after that Cork gobsh*te gets the sack this year)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'd knock into Lucan and start the ball rolling with O'Conghaile tbh - I've given up hope he'll run into any form to suggest he's capable of playing either in mid or HF line.

Slattsy wrote:
    Good to see young O'Gara grab a goal too. I had high hopes for him before his injury.

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I'd knock into Lucan and start the ball rolling with O'Conghaile tbh - I've given up hope he'll run into any form to suggest he's capable of playing either in mid or HF line.

His 35 minutes yesterday didn't indicate any massive future with the Senior Footballers, but he's a big unit, with a fair bit of mobility. He looks like an improvement on either Whelan or Hazeley. Realistically he's competing with Bastick, Flynn or MDMA (or possibly McCarthy) for starting slot alongside Fenton. Don't see him getting there, but I would be surprised to see him line out on Sunday.

I thought Hudson did very well yesterday. His frees were good, his showing for the ball, particularly in the first half, was excellent. Based solely on yesterday, I'd pick him ahead of McHugh.

Past30Now wrote: »
    His 35 minutes yesterday didn't indicate any massive future with the Senior Footballers, but he's a big unit, with a fair bit of mobility. He looks like an improvement on either Whelan or Hazeley. Realistically he's competing with Bastick, Flynn or MDMA (or possibly McCarthy) for starting slot alongside Fenton. Don't see him getting there, but I would be surprised to see him line out on Sunday.

I thought Hudson did very well yesterday. His frees were good, his showing for the ball, particularly in the first half, was excellent. Based solely on yesterday, I'd pick him ahead of McHugh.

Yeah agreed - a lot of my frustration with EO'C is the fact that he has all the physical attributes of a really decent player but he struggles to apply them in a positive way. I get the impression at times that his biggest focus is on imposing his phsicality on the opposition, jumping in, mistiming tackles and generally looking to clatter everything in sight. I don't know whether his need to impress the managment has made him overeager but as it stands the negatives outweigh the positives.

Hudson is an interesting one alright, I've gotten used to his name appearing on teamsheets in early January over the last few years and a lot like Harry Dawson was a dependable contributor to the scoreboard. Once the season got underway they just faded into the background - but yeah there is a little something extra to his game. The problem for a lot of the 1st half yesterday was getting the supply into him with Louth withdrawing 2-3 extra players into defence, but he showed tirelessly for the ball and he was positive with possession. If he was handed a starting number next weekend I would have no complaints. Is he still up in your place coaching the next batch to take over the scene ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What sort of a team do you expect for the Cavan game? Herself wants to go up but it's a fierce drive to see her team get a hammering.

Jayop wrote: »
    What sort of a team do you expect for the Cavan game? Herself wants to go up but it's a fierce drive to see her team get a hammering.

I'd guarantee it won't be the same team that'll take on your lot the week after ;)

Hard to know Jayop ... I would be very suprised if there were more than a handful of recognised starters tbh - I could see Jack McCaffrey involved if yer looking for autographs

Edit ... forgot Jack Mc is playing Sigerson for UCD

Aye the battle of croker doesn't sound as much fun with this new smaller Tyrone side.

We struggled for long periods last time in the league game with Tyrone's movement, and their keep ball tactics - a far more agile (if smaller) set up will cause a lot of the same problems. If Dublin go with inexperience around the defence it'll be a long night, not too sure we'll get a get out of jail card this time round

• Advertisement

Something to look forward to. I was happy to be in d2 last year to give us an opportunity to build but really you need to be playing the likes of ye in spring to have any hope later in the year.

Ah yeah - the NFL is a better place with Tyrone playing at the top table. I think it's an open secret that Mickey Harte has been analysing Dublin from the comfort of his own sitting room for the last 2 years now. The Mayo defeat last year really bothered him, in that hes had to wait another few months to apply whatever gameplan he had into a game against Dublin - though in fairness there's a large degree of shadow boxing early doors particulalry with the propect of an AISF on the horizon

Jayop wrote:
    Something to look forward to. I was happy to be in d2 last year to give us an opportunity to build but really you need to be playing the likes of ye in spring to have any hope later in the year.

These are always good games in fairness.
    This Dublin side has suffered against smaller teams in small grounds before. As we know the side was set up to out manoeuvre big midfield units like Mayo, Kerry and Donegal, possibly has some Tyrone influence in there still, in more ways than one.

I'm looking forward to the Cavan game, it might be terrible to watch though, but they should be shooting for a scalp, it's a good time for it.

You would presume Cavan will field their strongest available side while Dublin won't. Still think the best they can hope for is to keep the score down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Hudson is an interesting one alright, I've gotten used to his name appearing on teamsheets in early January over the last few years and a lot like Harry Dawson was a dependable contributor to the scoreboard. Once the season got underway they just faded into the background - but yeah there is a little something extra to his game. The problem for a lot of the 1st half yesterday was getting the supply into him with Louth withdrawing 2-3 extra players into defence, but he showed tirelessly for the ball and he was positive with possession. If he was handed a starting number next weekend I would have no complaints. Is he still up in your place coaching the next batch to take over the scene ?

I'd have been of the same opinion, expecting him to drop off the radar once the weather warmed up a bit, but this year might be different.

He's doing very well as club GPO. Replaced a legend (8 years as GPO), and has made a lot of improvements. Anytime I speak with parents involved in the nursery or camps, they sing his praises. Good guy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah agreed - a lot of my frustration with EO'C is the fact that he has all the physical attributes of a really decent player but he struggles to apply them in a positive way. I get the impression at times that his biggest focus is on imposing his phsicality on the opposition, jumping in, mistiming tackles and generally looking to clatter everything in sight. I don't know whether his need to impress the managment has made him overeager but as it stands the negatives outweigh the positives.

E O'C = a younger E. Fennell in other words

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

E O'C = a younger E. Fennell in other words

A young E Fennell was very good imo, all the transfer mess didn't do him any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

A young E Fennell was very good imo, all the transfer mess didn't do him any good

O'Conghaile is more flexible can play wing forward and full forward. He has all the football ability but has a tendency to fade in and out of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Jayop wrote: »
    You would presume Cavan will field their strongest available side while Dublin won't. Still think the best they can hope for is to keep the score down.

Cavan probably training since November. Our lads are only back a few weeks so wont be a easy game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 dean o gamhna

Hi stoner,do you still have the poster of the dubs? Kind regards dean o gamhna.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement