Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Paulzx wrote: »
    The question is do you mean the old Imelda or the new incarnation?

I know which I'm imagining:p

Old one. Would chop lad off and die happy.

Anyway, back to the Cavan game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

DoctaDee wrote: »
    No huge surprise Tomás Brady has stepped down from the panel this year - his opportunities were becoming ever more limited

Where did this information come from? I heard he was still training away during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Where did this information come from? I heard he was still training away during the week.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265908

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bonniedog wrote: »
    You did! Missed Lady in her kaks.

Was some comeback. Best ever I think. How they won it is amazing.

Was up there with Dubs hauling back Cork in league semi final.

Only missing Imelda May in her knickers :-)

Does that mean what I think it means....or is it a Dub slang for - "New England have great place kickers"

#ConfusedDub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    Was up there with Dubs hauling back Cork in league semi final.

That was a cracker, I don't get all the league hating, there have been some great days out.

This team made plenty of steps forward in the league, under Horan Mayo did the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well that was an interesting day out....and trip back. WTF is going on in Virginia? Met the exact same road works on the way up to the Monaghan game two years ago, but nothing seems to have been built/moved/improved since then. :confused:

(ABD'ers - insert yer digs here, about pampered Dubs whinging about traffic jams on the road
    > :

They widened the footpath on the bridge. That's about it for the last twelve months of roadworks in Virginia.

Has been a real pain for people like me that commute Cavan to Dublin for work each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Does that mean what I think it means....or is it a Dub slang for - "New England have great place kickers"

#ConfusedDub

That brain of yours works in mysterious ways PD..

* Another thought post game, twas great to see the players hang around the pitch after the match giving the young kids a chance for pic and autographs.. I'm sure there's plenty of chizzlers with fond memories of their trip to Cavan today. Nice atmosphere to the whole day truth be told.. can't say that very often

Stoner wrote: »
    That was a cracker, I don't get all the league hating, there have been some great days out.

This team made plenty of steps forward in the league, under Horan Mayo did the same .

One of THE great days out, under Jim Gavin. (AI finals apart obvs.) The poor shell shocked langers afterwards....Lord love them....

I can't even remember who we bate in the final, or by how much...but you never forget putting one over on De Peepul's Republik, in such spectacular fashion. :D
    Cavan_King wrote: »
    They widened the footpath on the bridge. That's about it for the last twelve months of roadworks in Virginia.

Has been a real pain for people like me that commute Cavan to Dublin for work each day.

Jebus, I don't envy you that. Oh well...at least you aren't sitting in the M50, going nowhere fast, for 4 hours every day. rolleyes.png

What's the mood in Cavan about yesterday? It was a great day, great people, great ground. Great location too, with all the nearby car parking, hotels, shops etc and most of them open too. Unlike Clones. How come Clones gets so many big games and Breffni doesn't? Is Clones capacity much bigger? It's a bit of a dive, compared to Cavan imo.

SJ was an absolute joy to watch. Get him some decent support and you could be really going places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

One of THE great days out, under Jim Gavin. (AI finals apart obvs.) The poor shell shocked langers afterwards....Lord love them....

I can't even remember who we bate in the final, or by how much...but you never forget putting one over on De Peepul's Republik, in such spectacular fashion. :D

Jebus, I don't envy you that. Oh well...at least you aren't sitting in the M50, going nowhere fast, for 4 hours every day. rolleyes.png

What's the mood in Cavan about yesterday? It was a great day, great people, great ground. Great location too, with all the nearby car parking, hotels, shops etc and most of them open too. Unlike Clones. How come Clones gets so many big games and Breffni doesn't? Is Clones capacity much bigger? It's a bit of a dive, compared to Cavan imo.

SJ was an absolute joy to watch. Get him some decent support and you could be really going places.

Saw (or "seen") in Dub speak..that game on telly...good open footie..ground looked great well done Cavan.

Every county GAA ground should be presented like Breffni Park...not like the rough meadows we sometimes see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah here, you can't give out about Clones. it's a footballing landmark. Nothing better than big game day there with the tiny town full to the gills and everyone in good form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 rocketfingers

I dont think another league title is of much value to Dublin but the competition for places is so savage ,players with the jersey cannot let up.
    Tyrone will be up for it next weekend and should give Dublin a decent game.It will be interesting to see how big a crowd turns up.

I dont think another league title is of much value to Dublin but the competition for places is so savage ,players with the jersey cannot let up.
    Tyrone will be up for it next weekend and should give Dublin a decent game.It will be interesting to see how big a crowd turns up.

27.5k last time in the league

Jayop wrote: »

27.5k last time in the league
    yeah thats a decent crowd,was that a league final if memory serves.
    The hurlers play Tipp at 5pm and then the footballers at 7pm.
    imoTyrone are players for the All Ireland,they are up and coming,hungry as f**k and have a top class  manager.I would put them 3rd in the pecking order a head of Mayo and behind Dublin and Kerry.
    I am definitely going in but I want to see Vincents v Slaughneil on TG4.

Nah wasn't a final. That was 2015 and Tyrone got relegated not to a final. :(

Nah wasn't a final. That was 2015 and Tyrone got relegated not to a final. :(
    2013 league final?Dublin beat Tyrone by a point.no?

• Advertisement

2013 league final?Dublin beat Tyrone by a point.no?

I was referring to the last time we played Dublin in Croker which was the 2015 league. There was 27.5k at that. Would have been much more at a league final.

I was referring to the last time we played Dublin in Croker which was the 2015 league. There was 27.5k at that. Would have been much more at a league final.

Last game in Croker we got out of jail with a draw, last minute Rock goal. Last game in Omagh we sneaked into 1/4 final with a last minute Dermot C point. There's been nothing between the teams and if no one thinks the league matters any of the last half dozen Dublin/Tyrone games will tell you otherwise

Edit .. there was one year in Croker when it rained rivers in the stands, we were evacuated to the upper tier.. always something to remember in these games

The first game under lights at Croker was something special too. Near 80k in a league game in February. Mad stuff.

edit: I also think that supporters and everyone else is starting to really enjoy the league more and take much more of an interest in it. Seems like these games are as good as you'll see until deep in the summer.

Okay sorry,I was not at that game.
    Time for me to go to bed.
    I just recall the 2013 league final because of Mannion,he was pushing for the first 15 and proved it that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Wash your mouth out with soap!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/if-you-haven-t-hit-clones-on-ulster-final-day-sure-you-haven-t-lived-1.1469274

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/don-t-tamper-with-the-perfection-of-clones-on-ulster-final-day-1.1871255

• Advertisement

Sorry Nidgey. No soap for me today. I read those articles when they first came out. In fact, I referenced the first one in a post (sometime last year, forget when exactly) talking about this very thing - what Clones is like as a match venue.

Given the somewhat rosy picture of the town, painted in that article, I was disappointed in the reality, when I experienced it for the first and only time, at a Dubs/Monaghan game two years ago. It was a nice sunny day in early April. There was a crowd of about 10,000 which ain't Ulster Final numbers, but it ain't too shabby. I'm sorry, but I thought the town was more than a bit grim. You can't argue that it has fewer facilities (or good parking) for supporters, compared to Cavan.

I'm not from Ulster. I don't have years worth of happy memories of attending Ulster finals in Clones. It is not a happy, or unhappy, hunting ground for my own county, one way or another. So I am not automatically predisposed to think it is heaven on earth, just because the place is a Mecca for Ulster football supporters. To me, it is just another venue. Sorry !

Now Tullamore....on the other hand....:D :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I'm sure I remember a couple of people on here last year saying they got stand tickets for the league games with their Parnell Park terrace pass.

I got stand tickets last year but when my mate went down to Dorset Street yesterday with the passes they told him they could only give him Hill tickets for this year's league.

Just wondering if anyone on here was told the same thing or if they were able to get stand tickets like before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I'm sure I remember a couple of people on here last year saying they got stand tickets for the league games with their Parnell Park terrace pass.

I got stand tickets last year but when my mate went down to Dorset Street yesterday with the passes they told him they could only give him Hill tickets for this year's league.

Just wondering if anyone on here was told the same thing or if they were able to get stand tickets like before.

I got stand tickets with my PP terrace pass last year when I explained that I was bringing my kids in for the league (aka their AI!)

Yeah I know ProudDub the big wendy ;) prefers the comfort of the stand during the league - but probably ponies up the money for the stand ticket as opposed to getting the freebie terrace with the PP.

I'm either going into Dorset Street tamarra for the terrace ticket on the PP or down to SuperValu for the stand ticket (weather dependent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Told the same thing too.

Yeah, I was told that too, when I went in on Tuesday, with my terrace PP. Was told they have a set allocation of stand tickets for stand PP holders. They can't give them out to us terrace PP plebs, until they know that the toffs with the stand PP's, are all sorted. Said to pop in again tomorrow & they'll see what they can do for me. Said that most of the collections are done before Friday & they won't know until then, if they have any spare terrace tix to give me. Fingers crossed...

Seriously...I can't handle 4 hrs on the Hill in Feb. I am a dainty, hothouse flower & proud of it ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Team named for the hurlers. Looking a bit bare without the exiles and the Cuala lads.

Hopefully Tipp are still in celebration mode from September. If not a repeat of the demolition job they did on us last year could be on the cards.

4 hours to freeze the balls well and truly of us tomorrow. Looking forward to it......kind of.;)

corny wrote: »
    Team named for the hurlers. Looking a bit bare without the exiles and the Cuala lads.

Hopefully Tipp are still in celebration mode from September. If not a repeat of the demolition job they did on us last year could be on the cards.

4 hours to freeze the balls well and truly of us tomorrow. Looking forward to it......kind of.;)

Where did you see the team?

Will be doing well to escape a trimming tomorrow I suspect.

I'm delighted Ben Quinn is in the team and Dónal Burke looks like he could be a good player for the future. It'll be interesting to see how the young guys do, particularly Patrick Smyth who is no Oisin Gough.

Here's the team

Thanks for that.

Always going to be stretched without Cuala and the injuries and retirements (and so on!) but seriously that team is not going to beat any 1A or even B team.

• Advertisement

The 7 o'clock show performers
    5e099e74a35f5e6deb847aef01aba544.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Four Hill tickets going if anyone wants. Freebies. PM before I give them to a tourist. Hate wasting them. Must collect in city centre tonight or Coolock tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bench named?

Should be a cracking game. 2 pretty strong teams named with us at pretty much full strength injuries aside.

Hon Tyrone and all that old nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭JMR

Can anyone recommend on street parking in the vicinity of Croke Park?

Bringing small kids tomorrow evening and plan to get the Red Line Luas into Connolly and walk up but maybe driving in is an option?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

JMR wrote: »

Bringing small kids tomorrow evening and plan to get the Red Line Luas into Connolly and walk up but maybe driving in is an option?

Cheers

https://crokepark.ie/getting-here/match-concert-parking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:
    Hon Tyrone and all that old nonsense.

Does that work in Tyroneeze ??

It's more of the country thing with the exaggerated whist thrown in, the Tyrone boys definitely get the C in there.

Maybe a "Hi" at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

JMR wrote: »

Cheers

Don't know how bad it would be for a league game on Saturday evenings. But I have parked on Clonmore Road or in around there when over on Ireland for league games in Feb/Mar. It's just off the Ballybough Road. No parking meters. None of the houses have drives so it's all park on street. But there are some spots at the terrace ends where you're not taking anyone's spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So the auld lad decided to head off to Italy for that rugby game and I'm now left with his ticket for the games today.

Lower Cusack, Section 304.

Free.

I really don't want it to go to waste so if anyone is interested, shoot us a PM.

It's a printable ticket so if it pleases the court, I can email it to you.

First come first served and all that jazz.

This is now gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Any idea what the attendence is looking like, numbers wise?

I've heard talk of 40,000 odd, but I'd be surprised if it gets that. That kind of attendance is usually reserved for Kerry and Mayo games. The bitter cold and the rugby being on the same day, often has a knock on effect on attendances too, so I'd say around 30,000 odd. Hope I'm wrong, the place is like a morgue when it's that empty. Gven the hordes at the Cavan/Dublin game last weekend, I just might be.

How many does Parnell hold?

Is it not closer to 10,000 because of Health and Safety?

Don't think so. There was well over 10,000 at the Vincents/SOPER final a few years ago. Think it was reduced down to 13,400, from the low 20's or upper teens, after the health and safety audit.

• Advertisement

Many congrats to SN. Vinnies just not at the races all day. Some game from McKaigue. Now on to Croker, to enact some retribution on another crowd of dem durty Nordies !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Many congrats to SN. Vinnies just not at the races all day. Some game from McKaigue. Now on to Croker, to enact some retribution on another crowd of dem durty Nordies !

Vincent's were outfought on the day really, stats showed possession 66%-34% in Slaughtneil's favour which you wouldn't often see in gaelic football except a one-sided mismatch which this certainly wasn't. Slaughtneil aren't especially pleasing on the eye but I'm sure they won't care and it would be a monumental achievement if they get to both finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Conto

Is the match on TV?

Conto wrote: »
    Is the match on TV?

Yeah. Eir Sport 1.

Ah right was thinking if it was a bit bigger the game could be better there but no matter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement