Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bloody Baltic here in Croker. They'll be lucky to have 30,000 odd here tonight....and if they do, that'll be the season ticket holders & what not all counted. It won't be actual bums on seats.

Hurlers held their own for the first 20 mins or so, but its all one way traffic now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ditch Cunningham after the league, absolutely no point in him being near a Dublin team now. Cuala lads aren't going to make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dean o gamhna

Hi stoner,I read in one of your posts that you had a poster from magill magazine from 1983 just wondering if you still have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

We're useless in the wet. I keep telling you all ha ha ha

If ever you question why the GAA introduced the black card just watch Tyrone. Horrible all round. Horrible tactics, time wasting and diving.

Referee had a shocker. Think we got one soft free off him all night, at the end!

But fair play to Tyrone, they were well up for it. More than us. When they drove at us with runners through the middle they got in easy enough. Worrying enough. They kicked a lot of wides.

We were unwilling to take on any long shots. Taking too much outta the ball all night. Too many forwards were quiet. Knew Dean would miss that pen. But good come back all the same.

OGara useless tbh.

Just glad we didn't lose to them. They'd have been delighted going back to Northern Ireland with a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Christ almighty what a load of crap. The ref gave ye absolutely everything. I've honestly read it all now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Slattsy wrote: »

OGara useless tbh.

He's always needed a bunch of games to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

That will benefit you far more than Tyrone.

Outstanding finish by Dublin. There is no scenario now that you think Dublin will be found wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

31 games now and counting. It'll take some side to stop this Dublin team from,winning 3 in a row and right now there's not a side in the country that has the quality, or belief too knock us off our perch. Not at there best tonight,but still showed unbelievable resilience,in the face of adversity.

On too play Donegal next,before facing the perennial bottlers.

That will benefit you far more than Tyrone.

Outstanding finish by Dublin. There is no scenario now that you think Dublin will be found wanting.

Maybe.. They've been around long enough so we should have known what to expect.

We were poor tonight, i thought. A game we should have lost, but managed to get something out of it. Those lads will always keep going tbf to them, plenty of bottle and metal.

If Tyrone knew how to kick points they'd have won handily

McCarthy and Fenton messed up a rake of good attacks. O'Gara was wasting his time, no good winning ball if you can't turn or stay on your feet.

What's really worrying is how often Tyrone ran the ball straight up the middle without a blue shirt getting near them.

• Advertisement

Maybe.. They've been around long enough so we should have known what to expect.

We were poor tonight, i thought. A game we should have lost, but managed to get something out of it. Those lads will always keep going tbf to them, plenty of bottle and metal.

How much training have they done? Mickey will have had this fixture signposted for months to put down a statement. Have to take all these things into consideration.

Payers coming in made a huge difference.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    31 games now and counting. It'll take some side to stop this Dublin team from,winning 3 in a row and right now there's not a side in the country that has the quality, or belief too knock us off our perch. Not at there best tonight,but still showed unbelievable resilience,in the face of adversity.

The streak will end in Ballybofey! :p

How much training have they done? Mickey will have had this fixture signposted for months to put down a statement. Have to take all these things into consideration.

Payers coming in made a huge difference.

Yeah fair point. You're so wise!

3 weeks training I believe. Still sweating out the Jamaican run.

Yeah fair point. You're so wise!

3 weeks training I believe. Still sweating out the Jamaican run.

Red Stripe stays in the system for a good 4 weeks!

Red Stripe stays in the system for a good 4 weeks!

Couldn't tell ya, im a Scotch man.

Rum is vile!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

They'd have been delighted going back to Northern Ireland with a win.

Aside from your expert knowledge of penalty kick outcome forecasting why is it necessary to point out that Tyrone is in Northern Ireland? "dem nordies"

Dem nordies do an awful lot more than the rest of us in the comfort of the republic to remain loyal to our Irish tradition, culture, heritage and in particular the GAA, all in the face of constant adversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

5 points up and all their men behind the ball. Dublin will have to learn to play against this sh1te football.
    More of the same in two weeks time.

Donal55 wrote: »
    5 points up and all their men behind the ball. Dublin will have to learn to play against this sh1te football.

In fairness, all their men were behind the ball when it was scoreless.

Aside from your expert knowledge of penalty kick outcome forecasting why is it necessary to point out that Tyrone is in Northern Ireland? "dem nordies"

Dem nordies do an awful lot more than the rest of us in the comfort of the republic to remain loyal to our Irish tradition, culture, heritage and in particular the GAA, all in the face of constant adversity.

Tyrone is in Northern Ireland.

They are presumably returning back to Northern Ireland tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Don't suppose you saw St Vincents playing with 15 men in their own half for most of the game earlier today, Sh1te football indeed.

They did, and we'll be eternally grateful to antrim and the ardsmen for their commitment to hurling

The rest of yiz tho... :D

Ffs you had an extra man and still had 14 behind the ball near the end. Blindness and bull****ting

The red card won the game for you.

tanko wrote: »
    Don't suppose you saw St Vincents playing with 15 men in their own half for most of the game earlier today, Sh1te football indeed.

Or Dublin with an extra man and the ref of side playing with 14 behind the ball.

Would ye chillax. It was me that used the phrase dem durty nordies. Or dat nordren crowd, if you prefer. It's a piss take on Pat Spillane's many hangups, nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Tyrone is in Northern Ireland.

They are presumably returning back to Northern Ireland tonight.

Good lad, your geography is top notch. Just as we congratulate if Mayo win to western Ireland and if Kerry win to Southern Ireland. will ye give over with that bollocks, the connotations are as clear and obvious as they are pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

In the tackle the referee had one standard for one team and another for the other team. The amount of pulling and dragging Tyrone got away with was amazing.

Anyway, good fight back. Some players worked very hard for it.

We hear the talk about the apparent strength in depth of Dublin football but really we'll be calling on the same heads again come August. None of the fringe players will be able to cut it against the likes of Tyrone in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

corny wrote: »
    In the tackle the referee had one standard for one team and another for the other team. The amount of pulling and dragging Tyrone got away with was amazing.

We hear the talk about the apparent strength in depth of Dublin football but really we'll be calling on the same heads again come August. None of the fringe players will be able to cut it against the likes of Tyrone in the championship.

I think that is unfair on Scully, Basquel and Lowdnes who have done well so far.

The match was also played in the lashing rain which suited Tyrone's gameplan.

More then likely the weather won't be that bad during the championship

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Glad we didn't lose against Mickeys big plan...if that's them I'm not worried.

Wasn't a great game but it will stand us well.

Agree on OGara though. Needs to do bett

Just as we congratulate if Mayo win to western Ireland

lol

Bret Hart wrote: »

C'mon now. You know what comes before a fall.

I'm as delighted as anyone at the grit and determination shown tonight, but lets try to reign it in a wee bit. We were quite sloppy tonight and our handling was quite poor at times. We can't blame the weather, as it was the same for both teams.

Don't think O'Gara deserves the flak. He was left isolated for most of the night, with very little support. There is not much he can do, when it is 3 on 1.

I wouldn't be all that bothered if we lose one of our league games. (Just as long as it's not to Kerry or Mayo.) This unbeaten streak is all well and good, but I don't want it to be an albatross around our necks, heading into the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I think that is unfair on Scully, Basquel and Lowdnes who have done well so far.

The match was also played in the lashing rain which suited Tyrone's gameplan.

More then likely the weather won't be that bad during the championship

Tyrones gameplan was very similar to Dublins. The only difference was they're better at it. Dublin get 13 men behind the ball just like everyone else.

Scully and Basquel are young and inexperienced, i wasn't knocking them. Just think it'll be too much of step up for them to take over from lads who have multiple All Ireland medals. Lowndes? He jogs around a lot and the game passes him by. Its always been like that every time i've seen him play for Dublin. In football anyway. He's playing the wrong game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ref was poor, not sure why he thought he was refereeing a six nations game at times with the advantage.

Really poor from us, got out of jail but still no loss. It's really odd, I almost think a loss is good long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Bambi wrote: »
    If Tyrone knew how to kick points they'd have won handily

What's really worrying is how often Tyrone ran the ball straight up the middle without a blue shirt getting near them.

Dublin seriously exposed on a few occasions and that needs to be sorted and quick.
    This was the worst performance I have seen from any referee in a long time, (your man in Newry was not great either and the lad who reffed Crokes and Corofin was awful) But to be fair he (McQuillan) was bad for both Dublin and Tyrone. Felt he let Tyrone away with huge amount of negative play, pulling, dragging and 3rd man tackles. McMahon should have walked twice. But then he gave Dublin a few soft frees. Must be frustrating for the players.

I think he is playing the wrong O;Gara but to be fair E.O'G was outnumbered most of the night. Would agree Basquel, Scully and Cillian O'Gara will be close come championship time. What is story with Con O'Callaghan?
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    C'mon now. You know what comes before a fall.

I'm as delighted as anyone at the grit and determination shown tonight, but lets try to reign it in a wee bit. We were quite sloppy tonight and our handling was quite poor at times. We can't blame the weather, as it was the same for both teams.

Don't think O'Gara deserves the flak. He was left isolated for most of the night, with very little support. There is not much he can do, when it is 3 on 1.

Donegal will be really up for the match and it could be the toughest test we get. They were decent enough against Kerry.

On Tyrone. I cant understand their tactics. They have one of the most skillful sides in the game with a good sprinkling of strength between Kavenagh, Harte, McMahon's and McCann. Their forwards are very good yet they persist with this horrible negative game plan. I dont think it is possible to go through a season and play with that intensity they had tonight. They seem to focus on upsetting the opposition instead of developing their own game and using their talent. Mind you they got 3 All-irelands playing a similar game but with a bit more flair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The hurlers were muck tonight, it was men against boys, it seems anyone who can show for the ball and stick it over the bar from distance are gone. Not everyone likes power hurling, but at least Dublin could give it a go, now we have guys who can't beat their man trying to carry the ball in. I didn't see any of this intelligent running, and on top of that the other crowd had about two more gears to go.

I've no idea where this team is going TBH. Following the Dublin hurlers was always difficult, there was a time I went to far more hurling than football, our club had hurling, no football. I certainly don't identify with this new direction, I think it's a step backwards.

The most annoying thing is that when it does end we will hear about how we simply didn't have the hurlers to deliver on the plan. That's an issue with the plan.
    It has nothing to do with having a country Manager, indeed Daly was a God send, one of his best qualities was that you didn't think he'd fire you under a bus. Not so sure that's the case now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

LeoB wrote: »

On Tyrone. I cant understand their tactics. They have one of the most skillful sides in the game with a good sprinkling of strength between Kavenagh, Harte, McMahon's and McCann. Their forwards are very good yet they persist with this horrible negative game plan. I dont think it is possible to go through a season and play with that intensity they had tonight. They seem to focus on upsetting the opposition instead of developing their own game and using their talent. Mind you they got 3 All-irelands playing a similar game but with a bit more flair.

No team can go toe to toe with Dublin playing football.

There is only one way to beat Dublin - get 15 men behind the ball, foul by rotation outside the 45, especially on Dublin counter-attacks, provoke particular Dublin players in off-the-ball messing and hope they react, pray for a wet day, Dublin injuries or absentees and a blind referee, and finally, get a huge dollop of luck.

Tyrone had all of that today and still couldn't get over the line.

It is a tribute to Dublin that the negative way is the only way to beat them and that so many fans of other teams acclaim that approach to playing Dublin.

blanch152 wrote:
    No team can go toe to toe with Dublin playing football.

I wouldn't agree. I think Donegal beat Dublin in 2014 playing more positive football that some give them credit for.

I didn't think this is a particularly skilful Tyrone team. They have some great runners and skillful ball carriers and a good few of them have that Tyrone cockyness too.

I would agree though that this Tyrone team would not stand toe to toe with Mayo Kerry or Dublin, so they play to their strengths against everyone and fair play to them.

Plus lads like McMahon and McNamee don't have enough in the tank for a full game imo

Stoner wrote: »
    The hurlers were muck tonight, it was men against boys, it seems anyone who can show for the ball and stick it over the bar from distance are gone. Not everyone likes power hurling, but at least Dublin could give it a go, now we have guys who can't beat their man trying to carry the ball in. I didn't see any of this intelligent running, and on top of that the other crowd had about two more gears to go.

I've no idea where this team is going TBH. Following the Dublin hurlers was always difficult, there was a time I went to far more hurling than football, our club had hurling, no football. I certainly don't identify with this new direction, I think it's a step backwards.

The most annoying thing is that when it does end we will hear about how we simply didn't have the hurlers to deliver on the plan. That's an issue with the plan.
    It has nothing to do with having a country Manager, indeed Daly was a God send, one of his best qualities was that you didn't think he'd fire you under a bus. Not so sure that's the case now.

one of the most depressing things tonight was the lousy shooting and inability to drive the sliotar any distance, that had nothing to do with tipp being better its just us fielding players that are not ready for this level.

I gave cunningham the benefit of the doubt initially but he's flatlined dublin hurling and he needs to be got rid of pronto

Davy Fitz for Dublin.

Stoner wrote:
    The most annoying thing is that when it does end we will hear about how we simply didn't have the hurlers to deliver on the plan. That's an issue with the plan. It has nothing to do with having a country Manager, indeed Daly was a God send.

Not one but quote myself, but here we go.

Cunningham: Dublin players have 'to decide if that level of performance is good enough' http://the42.ie/3235646

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Hurling was embarrassing. It was like watching a Dublin team from 20 years ago. Rushe and Crummey were only ones who did not look out of their depth. Forwards were totally inept. Depressing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Miserable conditions last night. We were very lucky last night. I was quite impressed with Tyrone. Alright, they were very cynical off the ball but they looked well organised and we... well, we weren't.

Sure, we had grit and determination to fight back to a draw but our shape was all wrong. Everything played through the middle and running into brick wall after brick wall.

Players standing beside the man in possession when a runner marching into space out wide would have dragged one or two out of position.

Fair play to Jonny Cooper for doing exactly that and managed a nice score. But we resorted back to fluting around at their 45 when they surrounded us.

Perhaps the most worrying thing was how easy Tyrone were able to make ground in the middle of the pitch without a single Dublin player closing down.

A very lucky escape and in truth we probably didn't deserve anything.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Hurling was embarrassing. It was like watching a Dublin team from 20 years ago. Rushe and Crummey were only ones who did not look out of their depth. Forwards were totally inept. Depressing stuff.

McMorrow showed well. Hard to know with the forwards, they got very little decent ball until tipp called it a night towards the end but they weren't wining their own ball either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Terrible game and a terrible performance to be honest. We probably should have lost and were a very lucky that Tyrone were awful at putting chances away. Our forward line really struggled to score from play. I'm not worried or anything, this is what the league is about. But that's how I saw it.

It's harsh but I've never thought EOG was up to it at this level and I think other players should be getting chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Terrible game and a terrible performance to be honest. We probably should have lost and were a very lucky that Tyrone were awful at putting chances away. Our forward line really struggled to score from play. I'm not worried or anything, this is what the league is about. But that's how I saw it.

It's harsh but I've never thought EOG was up to it at this level and I think other players should be getting chances.

I can't read any more from this Cunningham guy,

"Obviously it's not good enough so they have to go away and reflect themselves"

Talk about sticking a loss completely on the team. Does he actually expect these young lads to play for him? Make a mistake and you are hung out to dry.

He needs to warm up and own up a bit. This has all the appearances of a sinking ship, with the captain already on a lifeboat, leaving the squad on the ship to "reflect themselves" heading for the drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Whole business is becoming a disaster. There is fault on all sides too, let's be fair.

Most damaging aspect is that good young hurlers are being thrown in the deep end and will become demoralised. You can bring young fellas into an established set up. You can't throw a group like this to the lions. Which is what is being done.

Anyway, league is write off. Only possible hope of staying up is if Cuala lads, Trolliers and one or two others are back for a play-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

That_Guy wrote: »
    Miserable conditions last night. We were very lucky last night. I was quite impressed with Tyrone. Alright, they were very cynical off the ball but they looked well organised and we... well, we weren't.

Sure, we had grit and determination to fight back to a draw but our shape was all wrong. Everything played through the middle and running into brick wall after brick wall.

Players standing beside the man in possession when a runner marching into space out wide would have dragged one or two out of position.

Fair play to Jonny Cooper for doing exactly that and managed a nice score. But we resorted back to fluting around at their 45 when they surrounded us.

Perhaps the most worrying thing was how easy Tyrone were able to make ground in the middle of the pitch without a single Dublin player closing down.

A very lucky escape and in truth we probably didn't deserve anything.

I'd swear you were cogging my post , exactly how I saw it too. Last night had nothing to do with what Tyrone did or didn't do - the dogs on the street know how they set up. We've absolutely no width in our play and we try and drill thru a wall of players down the middle. Not a single goal chance created and passing was rubbish with fellas constantly having to gather ball around their ankles.

A lucky draw yeah - just hope James Mc is ok looked like a serious enough injury

Bonniedog wrote:
    Whole business is becoming a disaster. There is fault on all sides too, let's be fair.

I'd say 80:20 manager:players at best

I didnt see anything of the hurling as i was travelling back from Western Ireland... were they that bad? Or were Tipp just too good?

They are the AI champions after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Dropping to division 1b is not the end of the world for a team that is building. When you have teams like Galway, Wexford and Limrerick and a place in the league 1/4 finals against top opposition a near certainty then its the perfect place for rebuilding which is where Dublin are at at the moment. Use the leagus for what its worth, take the beatings but learn something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement