Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote:
    A lucky draw yeah - just hope James Mc is ok looked like a serious enough injury
    It looked bad in fairness.
    Started the game with the worst season ticket seats ever, row V 310.

Got lashed on, so some manoeuvering was necessary and we secured some premium seats for the football

I think there will be more such carry on this year.

The football was exciting I enjoyed it. There was a narky Tyrone supporter in front of us, kept giving the bird to the hill and turning around to spout when Tyrone scored. He had this gesture thing it was like Billy Bingham back in that qualifier game years ago.

We had a bit if crack there.

Golden rule 1, never turn around!!! No 2 it's only a game.
    Tyrone had good work done on Dublin's running game. Neither team had a scoring forward apart from Sludden.

The defensive subs Dublin made were excellent. In each case they stood man to man and won the primary ball cleanly, particularly Byrne.

The forward subs, I'm not so sure . Kevin Mac came on went for a run beat two men and was eventually isolated again and was easily dispossessed, he could do with making runs that can be supported sometimes, he did little after that.

It was a game for Andrews IMO

Overall the draw was lucky imo, yet when the 6 added minutes went up you could feel the air being sucked from the Tyrone effort, at that point even a win seemed possible. But a draw was something that at 55 minutes looked very far away.

Thought MDMA was playing reasonably well when subbed. The yellow carded guys were all changed out, that message is very subtle.

Thought Mannion should have taken the penno.

Rock kept us in the game, we'd be lost without him now.

It was a poxy night for football that made both teams look worse than they'll look later on.

Missed opportunity for Tyrone imo. O'Sullivan dose very well in those games and was missed. McCaffery looked a bit lost, as did Basquel and Scully, not a night for that sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah benefit of hindsight and all that but Mannion was the nailed on penalty taker - that's 2 missed by Rock now he hasnt the subtlety for peno taking.

Got drowned on The Hill, after only getting home to change from getting drowned at the Juv football .. expecting coughs and splutters for the week now.. thats a self diagnosis :rolleyes:

I think a lot of the problems in those type of claustrophobic games is the reluctance of anyone to take a shot - the constant recycling becomes paralyzing to the ball carrier and they feel nearly obligated to pass it on.

I thought Basquel put in some good stints carrying the ball but Scully had the game pass him by to the main part, probably best summed up with his crossfield ball at the end into 3 Tyrone lads.

I haveta say I'm firmly in EOG's camp - the quality of ball into him at times was very poor, a big chap going low on a greasy pitch to gather ball isn't his game and there was a bit of the bambi on ice thing going on - but he's an option I'd persist with. A little known fact is he's Dublins most accurate forward in shooting practice up in DCU - much like Rock a few years ago I'd like to think that Gavin will give him the opportunity to show his best side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I didn't like O'Garas attitude all night tbh. Rock works hard to get the ball back, O Gara looks to thump the nearest man and then stops running. His movement off the ball was poor too. He spent the majority of his time standing on the square waiting for something to happen.

Gavin won't tolerate that imo and i'd suggest O'Garas workrate is whats limiting his opportunities. Gavin likes lads who work for the team not themselves.

corny wrote: »
    I didn't like O'Garas attitude all night tbh. Rock works hard to get the ball back, O Gara looks to thump the nearest man and then stops running. His movement off the ball was poor too. He spent the majority of his time standing on the square waiting for something to happen.

Gavin won't tolerate that imo and i'd suggest O'Garas workrate is whats limiting his opportunities. Gavin likes lads who work for the team not themselves.

No that's a fair point Corny ... but Rocks workrate only really came on last year. I think if you're judging EOG workrate as an all round contribution to the team he does fall short - but then again I don't think he has the legs or speed to be chasing defenders 40 yards out the field .. very similar in that respect to Donaghy. I just feel as a outball and link option in attack he should be given more opportunities - but as you say if he fails in other aspects of his game Gavin won't tolerate it - jaysis sure he even got Bernard to make the ball breaking defensive cover runs !

Just by the by .. did anyone else have their PP ticket punched with a hole thru it ? .. 1st year I remember them doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Just by the by .. did anyone else have their PP ticket punched with a hole thru it ? .. 1st year I remember them doing it

Yeah. Mine was punched too. Maybe it's to make sure that no cheeky buggers are going back and getting another set of tickets, with the same PP? There appears to be a new strictness going on wih the tickets this year, if not with the DCB, than with HQ. I went back on Friday and I wasn't able to get a stand ticket. Was told they had no spares left over, as all the stand PP holders had picked up their tickets. First time that has ever happened & I've had a PP since 2010. Bit mad really and not a great way to encourage attendance on such a frigid night. With only 28,000 souls in a 82,000 seater stadium, why on earth should they care if a couple of terrace PP holders sit in the stand instead? They never did before. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Got drowned on The Hill, after only getting home to change from getting drowned at the Juv football .. expecting coughs and splutters for the week now.. thats a self diagnosis :rolleyes:

The hill looked like a refugee camp during the hurling.

Jayop wrote: »
    Davy Fitz for Dublin.

Oi, would you ever piss off ! :mad:

It would be a dark day if that boorish, egomaniac ever patrolled our sidelines. We have enough problems as it is. We don't need to add to them. Beside what would he bring to the table tactically? He wasted the potential of the best U21 squad Clare have had in a generation. I can't see him contributing anything of worth, other than a near constant media $hit storm, that would thrill all the journos, but no one else.

Bambi wrote: »
    The hill looked like a refugee camp during the hurling.

..looked like photo fits for a shooting during the football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Would be a good laugh though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

O'Gara's continuous needless fouling of defenders when they're under pressure with the ball is f*cking infuriating

Disgraceful comments from Cunningham after the match last night, throwing a bunch of young lads under the bus like that and basically absolving himself of any blame. The sooner he's gone the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Dropping to division 1b is not the end of the world for a team that is building. When you have teams like Galway, Wexford and Limrerick and a place in the league 1/4 finals against top opposition a near certainty then its the perfect place for rebuilding which is where Dublin are at at the moment. Use the leagus for what its worth, take the beatings but learn something.

No, that would not be a disaster.

What WOULD be a disaster is dragging a bunch of Leinster underage champions through a series of hammerings. Cody does not send teams of young fellas out. He manages all that stuff. Which is his job, and which is why he is so successful.

Now, on other hand Cunningham is in a terrible place. Experienced players walking and being dropped. Not all his doing it has to be said.

Probably been an unfortunate experience for all concerned. Would be ironic - and obviously welcome - if Cuala were to win AI amid all of this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Stoner wrote: »
    It looked bad in fairness.
    Started the game with the worst season ticket seats ever, row V 310.

Got lashed on, so some manoeuvering was necessary and we secured some premium seats for the football

I think there will be more such carry on this year.

The football was exciting I enjoyed it. There was a narky Tyrone supporter in front of us, kept giving the bird to the hill and turning around to spout when Tyrone scored. He had this gesture thing it was like Billy Bingham back in that qualifier game years ago.

We had a bit if crack there.

Golden rule 1, never turn around!!! No 2 it's only a game.
    Tyrone had good work done on Dublin's running game. Neither team had a scoring forward apart from Sludden.

The defensive subs Dublin made were excellent. In each case they stood man to man and won the primary ball cleanly, particularly Byrne.

The forward subs, I'm not so sure . Kevin Mac came on went for a run beat two men and was eventually isolated again and was easily dispossessed, he could do with making runs that can be supported sometimes, he did little after that.

It was a game for Andrews IMO

Overall the draw was lucky imo, yet when the 6 added minutes went up you could feel the air being sucked from the Tyrone effort, at that point even a win seemed possible. But a draw was something that at 55 minutes looked very far away.

Thought MDMA was playing reasonably well when subbed. The yellow carded guys were all changed out, that message is very subtle.

Thought Mannion should have taken the penno.

Rock kept us in the game, we'd be lost without him now.

It was a poxy night for football that made both teams look worse than they'll look later on.

Missed opportunity for Tyrone imo. O'Sullivan dose very well in those games and was missed. McCaffery looked a bit lost, as did Basquel and Scully, not a night for that sort.

I was row x. Brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Anyway, league is write off. Only possible hope of staying up is if Cuala lads, Trolliers and one or two others are back for a play-off.
    There is no relegation play off in the hurling league this year. After last night I've given up on our chances of staying in Division 1A and don't think I'll be travelling to Cork next week either, first league game I'll have missed in as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Only watching the hurling highlights there. Those comments from Cunningham on RTE are a disgrace. Talk about absolving yourself from any blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

That_Guy wrote: »
    Only watching the hurling highlights there. Those comments from Cunningham on RTE are a disgrace. Talk about absolving yourself from any blame.

he looked and spoke like a man under pressure though , very hard for players to get up for training tuesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

His attitude is one thing but it falls further down the list of his problems. Poor shooting technique and erratic handling are pretty bad limitations for a full forward. I always said that it was incredible that EOG managed to start ahead of Paddy Andrews for a few seasons.

he looked and spoke like a man under pressure though , very hard for players to get up for training tuesday night

If he puts his foot in his mouth like that all the time then you can see why lads have walked away. Dublin hurling has enough handicaps without this eejit being left to see out his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Firstly, O'Gara has been an impact sub for most of his career. Not many players would spend a decade in a position where they didn't have a starting place for a sustained period of time; O'Gara has made that commitment so when you are talking about his 'attitude', maybe think about that part of his 'attitude' as well. Well worn cliché but its an amateur sport that requires a huge commitment. How many players quit because they aren't happy merely to be in the squad.

Second, Gavin knows what he will and wont tolerate, and he's had O'Gara in his squad from day one, and continues to do so.

Third, there have been many occasions where he has made a big contribution, and his scoring rate is pretty good for a guy who is mainly appearing off the bench.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Firstly, O'Gara has been an impact sub for most of his career. Not many players would spend a decade in a position where they didn't have a starting place for a sustained period of time; O'Gara has made that commitment so when you are talking about his 'attitude', maybe think about that part of his 'attitude' as well. Well worn cliché but its an amateur sport that requires a huge commitment. How many players quit because they aren't happy merely to be in the squad.

Second, Gavin knows what he will and wont tolerate, and he's had O'Gara in his squad from day one, and continues to do so.

Third, there have been many occasions where he has made a big contribution, and his scoring rate is pretty good for a guy who is mainly appearing off the bench.

I've always had a fondness for O'Gara, and it's got nothing to do with his skill, but his penchant for getting a goal at the right time. When he smashed it into the net against Tyrone back in 2010 is where it all springs from.

Don't get me wrong, I'm able to see his downsides, like his fondness for a couple of yellows, but I still appreciate what he does. What amazes me though, is that when he's on form, a ball can be fired in at him, he's in the middle of three of the best defenders, he'll shrug off one with a shoulder and strong arm the other two fellas away, come racing away into space with the ball, and then foul the ball in some completely comical way. I can only laugh in despair when he does that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good point Cat.

He stuck Ricey on his arse and then later scored the goal that turned the tide in Dublin psychology in 2010.

Some people forget!

I like O'Gara's penchant for clattering uppity full backs

Impact sub. Clue's in the name lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

CatInABox wrote: »
    I've always had a fondness for O'Gara, and it's got nothing to do with his skill, but his penchant for getting a goal at the right time. When he smashed it into the net against Tyrone back in 2010 is where it all springs from.

Don't get me wrong, I'm able to see his downsides, like his fondness for a couple of yellows, but I still appreciate what he does. What amazes me though, is that when he's on form, a ball can be fired in at him, he's in the middle of three of the best defenders, he'll shrug off one with a shoulder and strong arm the other two fellas away, come racing away into space with the ball, and then foul the ball in some completely comical way. I can only laugh in despair when he does that.

That's probably the last year in the all Ireland championship, where Dublin lost a game and it wasn't a massive shock......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Good point Cat.

He stuck Ricey on his arse and then later scored the goal that turned the tide in Dublin psychology in 2010.

Some people forget!

+1

That was the turning point for this Dublin team beating Tyrone in 2010 And O'Gara goal got us over the line that day. Coming off the bench in 2013 final kicking 2 points against Mayo. Don't forget he scored the winning point against Kerry last year too. His tackling can be clumsy but he has played a big part in our success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

LeoB wrote: »
    Dublin seriously exposed on a few occasions and that needs to be sorted and quick.

This was the worst performance I have seen from any referee in a long time, (your man in Newry was not great either and the lad who reffed Crokes and Corofin was awful) But to be fair he (McQuillan) was bad for both Dublin and Tyrone. Felt he let Tyrone away with huge amount of negative play, pulling, dragging and 3rd man tackles. McMahon should have walked twice. But then he gave Dublin a few soft frees. Must be frustrating for the players.

I think he is playing the wrong O;Gara but to be fair E.O'G was outnumbered most of the night. Would agree Basquel, Scully and Cillian O'Gara will be close come championship time. What is story with Con O'Callaghan?

Donegal will be really up for the match and it could be the toughest test we get. They were decent enough against Kerry.

On Tyrone. I cant understand their tactics. They have one of the most skillful sides in the game with a good sprinkling of strength between Kavenagh, Harte, McMahon's and McCann. Their forwards are very good yet they persist with this horrible negative game plan. I dont think it is possible to go through a season and play with that intensity they had tonight. They seem to focus on upsetting the opposition instead of developing their own game and using their talent. Mind you they got 3 All-irelands playing a similar game but with a bit more flair.

I always think that too fine footballers but the kings of the dark arts. Never liked them because of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I've been a fan of EOG for a while now and would always hope to see him be given a chance. Nice comeback by the footballers.

We were murdered in the hurling. Didn't hear, or read GC's comments, and to be honest I'm not really interested in what he has to say. Its clear that there is a problem within and outside the camp, and while the county board don't want to go down the road of firing a guy mid season, I think he's finished with Dublin. Hopefully we survive a relegation battle, but I wouldn't bet on it. God knows how many championship matches we'll get, but we'll get a thumping or two.

Our season tickets gave us seats in 309 W, just outside of the 21. Would have drowned sitting there so wound up at the back of 309 for the hurling and the back of the Davin for the football. I've thawed out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Thats great but i like calling a spade a spade.

His attitude on the night stunk to high heaven. He gave the ref the opportunity to give him a black card, a yellow card and a red and if i was a teammate running my bollox off for the team i'd have a real problem with that.

Lets not brush it aside either because of whats passed or because he's an amateur. All he did all night was satisfy his own desire to settle scores with no regard for his teamamtes. Dublin were trying to trap Tyrone in their own half on several occasions only for O'Gara to thump his man and relieve the pressure.

It doesn't make O' Gara a bad man and it isn't an attack on his character (i don't know the chap). It is an attack on a player who wants to wear the jersey. I see nothing wrong with calling that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gael85 wrote: »
    +1

That was the turning point for this Dublin team beating Tyrone in 2010 And O'Gara goal got us over the line that day. Coming off the bench in 2013 final kicking 2 points against Mayo. Don't forget he scored the winning point against Kerry last year too. His tackling can be clumsy but he has played a big part in our success.

I remember walking home after the Cork defeat that year (with a stop for a few pints in Gaffneys) happy enough with the year. I knew we weren't far off, and for the first time in ages, we were competitive, not just fodder on the way to the semi-final.

Since then, I've been gutted for days after a loss. That's how much it's changed since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think a lot of the problems in those type of claustrophobic games is the reluctance of anyone to take a shot - the constant recycling becomes paralyzing to the ball carrier and they feel nearly obligated to pass it on.

Interesting point. Personally, I would put it down to the fear of making a mistake. It really crept into your game last year and it is there in other teams but I think it's heightened with you because there's a strong squad and a few mistakes could mean starting an AI final or not.

I think you came back to the (small) pack last year as a result of this but you had enough to stay ahead. You were a far more dangerous / better team the year before.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote:
    I think you came back to the (small) pack last year as a result of this but you had enough to stay ahead. You were a far more dangerous / better team the year before.

True the 2012/13 Mayo Dublin games might have been better for the neutrals

Gas isn't it .. the Cork loss in 2010 was our most satisfying defeat - what a ...kin day will still rank as one of the greatest atmospheres I've ever enjoyed at a game. They could and probably should've won that day - but with the memories of Kerryx2 and Tyrone still fresh in the mind it was a honourable defeat.

Worst defeat in recent times was Mayo in 2006

Edit .. sorry that doesn't read right .. the biggest disappointment of recent times

PARlance wrote: »
    Interesting point. Personally, I would put it down to the fear of making a mistake. It really crept into your game last year and it is there in other teams but I think it's heightened with you because there's a strong squad and a few mistakes could mean starting an AI final or not.

Yup agreed .. there was very little goal threat for a team that was carving out 5-6 good goal chances a game the previous 2-3 years. I personally think that the influence of Jason Sherlock and the basketball type screening to get the correct shooter in position has a lot to do with it

Yup agreed .. there was very little goal threat for a team that was carving out 5-6 good goal chances a game the previous 2-3 years. I personally think that the influence of Jason Sherlock and the basketball type screening to get the correct shooter in position has a lot to do with it

Horrible style of play and something that we've fallen into ourselves. But at least with Mayo, we've only a handful of lads that can score in the county... so they're expected to shoot. I really think it's a worse case with Dublin as nobody wants to be that guy that takes a few "less than optimal" shots.... just have a bloody pop.

Since we lost to Donegal in 2014 we have scored 45 goals in 34 games between Championship & League. Other than scoring 11 goals in 3 Leinster Championship games in 2015 our goals record is pretty poor.

Since we lost to Donegal in 2014 we have scored 45 goals in 34 games between Championship & League. Other than scoring 11 goals in 3 Leinster Championship games in 2015 our goals record is pretty poor.

Different times I know, but harping back to the 2013 SF with Kerry I can think of McAuley, COS, Bernard having goal chances within the 1st 15 minutes of that game - I'm struggling to think of one in last years match ..

• Advertisement

Different times I know, but harping back to the 2013 SF with Kerry I can think of McAuley, COS, Bernard having goal chances within the 1st 15 minutes of that game - I'm struggling to think of one in last years match ..

Aidan O'Mahony played a sweeper and Kevin McManamon dropped deep meant Kerry had 2 extra defenders. Philly had chance in first half other than that there was no goal threat. I would like to see Emmet O'Conghaile tried in at Full Forward. Has a good set of hands and strong in the air. O'Gara for height and strength doesn't play as a traditional target man.

Philly ... yeah good man I remember it now

I'd very much like to see us having that option of a big FF target man .. I'd be the 1st to admit to EOG's shortcomings, but we don't seem to breed that type of player anymore ... a Paul Geaney type would be a godsend .. I'll stick it in my letter to Santa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

And if we finished any of the goal chances we had against Donegal in the first 20 minutes we likely would not even be having this discussion

Agree with all said on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gas isn't it .. the Cork loss in 2010 was our most satisfying defeat - what a ...kin day will still rank as one of the greatest atmospheres I've ever enjoyed at a game. They could and probably should've won that day - but with the memories of Kerryx2 and Tyrone still fresh in the mind it was a honourable defeat.

Worst defeat in recent times was Mayo in 2006

Edit .. sorry that doesn't read right .. the biggest disappointment of recent times

The AI Semi Final loss? Yeah that was a great game. Back when Bernard was a one man machine, one of the best individual performances I've seen. We were very reliant on him back then but Christ he was something else.

DoctaDee wrote:

I hated that loss, simply because it seemed inevitable. It's why I can never get into rugby, it's that same feeling, but there have been great days.
    The Irish soccer team, I've always enjoyed watching them bar the euro's in Poland, and when they eventually lose , it's not bad so long as it's a big team and we got stuck in.

But I have never, ever felt satisfied having lost to Cork.

Mainly in football, but the annoying thing in the hurling recently was that we've had a real chance to beat them in the championship twice and it wasn't taken, what's it now 9 or 10 championship games in a row ?

My best memory of Sherlock was sticking the goal in 1995, what was the name of the guy marking him who slipped? McGrath? he said in the papers before "we haven't seen him get up after been hit properly yet"

It's a special rivalry, Cork and Dublin. It's funny but Cork have that with a few Counties, as do Dublin and Meath. Being successful in both codes would drive that I guess.

I've a picture in my hall of Rock scoring against them in 1983. No other GAA picture just that, I wasn't even there.

I remember that championship game when Dinny Allen and Keith Barr were at it and Barr was sent off and they beat us that day too.

All that said that 2010 Cork team was the best Cork football team in my memory. Only winning one AI must haunt them. I don't think they knew what they had.

• Advertisement

I hated that loss, simply because it seemed inevitable. It's why I can never get into rugby, it's that same feeling, but there have been great days.
    The Irish soccer team, I've always enjoyed watching them bar the euro's in Poland, and when they eventually lose , it's not bad so long as it's a big team and we got stuck in.

But I have never, ever felt satisfied having lost to Cork.

Mainly in football, but the annoying thing in the hurling recently was that we've had a real chance to beat them in the championship twice and it wasn't taken, what's it now 9 or 10 championship games in a row ?

My best memory of Sherlock was sticking the goal in 1995, what was the name of the guy marking him who slipped? McGrath? he said in the papers before "we haven't seen him get up after been hit properly yet"

It's a special rivalry, Cork and Dublin. It's funny but Cork have that with a few Counties, as do Dublin and Meath. Being successful in both codes would drive that I guess.

I've a picture in my hall of Rock scoring against them in 1983. No other GAA picture just that, I wasn't even there.

I remember that championship game when Dinny Allen and Keith Barr were at it and Barr was sent off and they beat us that day too.

All that said that 2010 Cork team was the best Cork football team in my memory. Only winning one AI must haunt them. I don't think they knew what they had.

Mark O'Connor was the Cork fullback that slipped when Jayo scored that goal in 95

Jayzus, thanks for that Captain Obvious ! :p

Last year, our All Star full back was off in New Zealand. Our 2015 Footballer of the Year was off doctoring in Ethiopia. Our marquee forward (and another nominee for 2015 Footballer of the Year,) was having an off year. Davy Byrne and John Small were parchuted into our defence, having never starting a senior championship game before in their lives.

You try coping with just one of those things, instead of all of them, in the same year and, let's see how you get on. :D

ProudDUB wrote:
    Jayzus, thanks for that Captain Obvious !

We were more dangerous in 2014 though. Remember when J Cooper and McCarthy use to be involved in goal chances ?

And when Kilkenny was a half forward!!

We were more dangerous in 2014 though. Remember when J Cooper and McCarthy use to be involved in goal chances ?

When they should have been down the other end minding the house?

Nah, I've blotted 2014 in its entirety, from my memory.

Too painful. :mad:

Gael85 wrote:
    Mark O'Connor was the Cork fullback that slipped when Jayo scored that goal in 95

That's it. I remember him now I knew McGrath was wrong.
    I knew it was a typical run of the mill name

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/34f6ca77-d737-4eb3-a976-215d48d19ecd

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Jayzus, thanks for that Captain Obvious ! :p

Last year, our All Star full back was off in New Zealand. Our 2015 Footballer of the Year was off doctoring in Ethiopia. Our marquee forward (and another nominee for 2015 Footballer of the Year,) was having an off year. Davy Byrne and John Small were parchuted into our defence, having never starting a senior championship game before in their lives.

You try coping with just one of those things, instead of all of them, in the same year and, let's see how you get on. :D

Ha, you dealt with the blows in defence fairly well. But joking aside, a win can cover up a lot of cracks and you were there for the taking at the end of last year and nobody really expected that at the start. I think you regressed by letting that fear / conservatism / playing to suit others system's into your game. That's not a pop, you were still the best team by a bit, but the door was opened when it shouldn't have been.

Kilkenny was the epitome of that for me. He went from causing defenders nightmares to causal strolls (ok I'm putting the troll in stroll there) around midfield. And he was getting rave reviews for it, so it wasn't obvious to everyone captain ;)

Ha, you dealt with the blows in defence fairly well. But joking aside, a win can cover up a lot of cracks and you were there for the taking at the end of last year and nobody really expected that at the start. I think you regressed by letting that fear / conservatism / playing to suit others system's into your game. That's not a pop, you were still the best team by a bit, but the door was opened when it shouldn't have been.

Kilkenny was the epitome of that for me. He went from causing defenders nightmares to causal strolls (ok I'm putting the troll in stroll there) around midfield. And he was getting rave reviews for it, so it wasn't obvious to everyone captain ;)

I disagree that no one really expected it, at the start of the year. Go back to this time last year (or whenever it was that Jack Mc announced he was taking a year off) and his and Rory O'Caroll's absence were highlighted by a lot of people, as two key holes that would be impossible to over come, in both our attack and defence.

You don't have to defend your pov on CK to me. He wreaked my head last year, with all his slow lateral hand passing. I could see a method in the madness, against the likes of Donegal, but not as a full time thing. I hope to God we've seen the end of it, when we get the full panel back.

I think Jim Gavin went over the top with the conservatism last year. Ok, we won Sam. The man knew what he was doing. But the tactics totally stymied our offense to an unnecessary degree imo........... and Jesus H. Christ, it was bloody hard to watch ! :mad:

Ok, I'm starting to sound like Pat Spillane now. :eek: Ofta bed !

James McCarthy's isn't serious according to the 42 . A bang on the calf.

James McCarthy's isn't serious according to the 42 . A bang on the calf.

That was the word after the match too..bruising from a knock rather than a tear/pull

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement