Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Only two lads can hold their heads up after that performance Flynn and Connolly, was convinced we would win cause I thought Jim Gavin wouldnt be out done but was so wrong. Not to take anything away from Donegal they were superb but Dublin were due a bad day and yesterday was it sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Donegal did everything right yesterday. Hats off to them.

They covered nearly every single Cluxton kick out that he was visably angry in the first half. I think the main thing with Donegal is they converted their chances when they got them and that was the difference. They defended very well and hunted in packs.

Dublin just didnt have it and they were frustrated. The half back line pushed forward a bit too much (in my opinion). Connolly and Flynn had outstanding games and were everywhere. Donegal pushed and harried the people they needed to at the right time. Had our goal opportunities been taken when we had them it might have been different result.

I don't feel 'as sick' today as Donegal really put on a solid performance and it would be hard to deny them.

Roll on October, going to get my season ticket and we back stronger and better. Hon the Dubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Donegal had the best shot conversion rate of any team in any match in the last three years yesterday according to @dontfoul

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Bad day at the office. I thought Jim got it wrong, too attacking too early in the second half. All the half backs and McMahon were basically forwards leaving Mick Fitz and ROC alone, Donegal are one of the best counter attacking sides in the Country and we saw that. I agree Brennan was missed.

That said, if Connolly put away that goal (I hate his lethargic finishes :mad: ) or O'Gara had played a better pass to Bernard in the first half when we were dominant, I'm confident we win. Donegal the better side overall though, no question.

As a Donegal supporter at the game I couldn`t believe Dublin had left so much open spaces inside their own half from the start of the 2nd half against a team that are known for upping the ante in the 3rd quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

corny wrote: »
    Don't understand the O Gara bashing at all.

Any player asked to occupy a position where 5 or 6 eager defenders are patrolling is going to struggle. Bar his scrambled score (which O Gara broke for him) what did BB do that O Gara didn't?

Bernard was almost as bad, I agree. I also agree that it was a tough game for forwards, but O'Gara couldn't win his own ball at all , and as a target man that's supposed to be his main job really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

keane2097 wrote: »
    Donegal had the best shot conversion rate of any team in any match in the last three years yesterday according to @dontfoul

Well done to them, but shooting gets easier when the opposition only have 3 players in their own half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

BKWDR wrote: »
    Donegal did everything right yesterday. Hats off to them.

They covered nearly every single Cluxton kick out that he was visably angry in the first half. I think the main thing with Donegal is they converted their chances when they got them and that was the difference. They defended very well and hunted in packs.

Dublin just didnt have it and they were frustrated. The half back line pushed forward a bit too much (in my opinion). Connolly and Flynn had outstanding games and were everywhere. Donegal pushed and harried the people they needed to at the right time. Had our goal opportunities been taken when we had them it might have been different result.

I don't feel 'as sick' today as Donegal really put on a solid performance and it would be hard to deny them.

Roll on October, going to get my season ticket and we back stronger and better. Hon the Dubs

Well written and something I always found about the Dub supporters, always fair, well informed and both good winners and good losers. It is easy to be gracious winners a lot harder to be gracious losers. The wit and color Dublin bring to be big occasions is always brilliant and will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 25 players in 5 Championship games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 Championship Games

Brogan, Alan 5
    Cluxton, Stephen 5
    Connolly, Diarmuid 5
    Flynn, Paul 5
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 5
    McCarthy, James 5
    McMahon, Philip 5
    O'Carroll, Rory 5
    O'Sullivan, Cian 5
    Devereux, Nicky 4+1
    McManamon, Kevin 3+2
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3+2
    Mannion, Paul 2+3
    McCaffrey, Jack 2+3
    Costello, Cormac 1+4
    Rock, Dean 1+4
    Brogan, Bernard 4
    Cooper, Jonny 4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 3+1
    Daly, Darren 1+3
    Andrews, Paddy 1+2
    Brady, Tomas 0+2
    Cullen, Bryan 0+2
    Nolan, Kevin 1
    Bastic Denis 0+1

Dublin have scored 9-105(132) and conceded 5-63(78) in 5 Championship games. Scorers 2014 Championship Game

Brogan, Bernard 2-17
    Connolly, Diarmuid 2-11
    Flynn, Paul 1-12
    Costello, Cormac 1-10
    McManamon, Kevin 1-8
    Rock, Dean 0-10
    O'Gara, Eoghan 1-6
    Brogan, Alan 0-8
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-5
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 1-1
    Andrews, Paddy 0-3
    Mannion, Paul 0-3
    Brady, Tomas 0-2
    McMahon, Philip 0-2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-1
    Cullen, Bryan 0-1
    Devereux, Nicky 0-1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0-1
    McCarthy, James 0-1

Dublin have used 36 players in 9 league games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 League Games

Cooper, Jonny 9
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 8+1
    O'Gara, Eoghan 6+3
    Cluxton, Stephen 8
    McMahon, Philip 8
    McManamon, Kevin 7+1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 2+6
    Nelson, Darragh 2+6
    O'Sullivan, Cian 7
    Brogan, Alan 6+1
    Reddin, Ciaran 5+2
    Nolan, Kevin 4+3
    McCarthy, James 6
    Andrews, Paddy 5+1
    Fitzsimons, Michael 5+1
    Brady, Tomas 2+4
    McCaffrey, Jack 2+4
    Devereux, Nicky 2+3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 4
    Cullen, Bryan 4
    Flynn, Paul 4
    George, Sean 4
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 4
    O'Carroll, Rory 4
    Costello, Cormac 3+1
    Carty, Shane 2+2
    Whelan, Jason 2+2
    Lowndes, Eric 3
    Daly, Darren 2+1
    O'Mahony, Declan 2+1
    Hudson, Paul 1+2
    Brogan, Bernard 1+1
    Currie, Sean 1+1
    Mannion, Paul 0+2
    O'Brien, Kevin 0+1
    Watson, Daniel 0+1

Dublin have scored 14-138(180) and conceded 11-117(150) in 9 league games. Scorers 2014 League Games

McManamon, Kevin 3-17
    Connolly, Diarmuid 2-11
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3-7
    Brogan, Bernard 1-11
    Brogan, Alan 0-12
    Andrews, Paddy 1-8
    Costello, Cormac 0-10
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-10
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2-2
    Hudson, Paul 0-7
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-6
    Reddin, Ciaran 0-6
    Whelan, Jason 1-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    Cooper, Jonny 0-4
    McCarthy, James 1-1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 0-3
    Carty, Shane 0-3
    Cullen, Bryan 0-2
    Mannion, Paul 0-2
    McMahon, Philip 0-2
    Nelson, Darragh 0-2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-2
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0-1

Dublin have used 30 players in 3 O'Byrne Cup games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 O'Byrne Cup Games

Carthy, Shane 3
    Fitzsimons, Michael 3
    George, Sean 3
    Hudson, Paul 3
    O'Mahony, Declan 3
    Whelan, Jason 3
    Dawson, Harry 2+1
    Nelson, Darragh 2+1
    Walsh, Conor 2+1
    Cullen, Bryan 2
    Currie, Sean 2
    Daly, Darren 2
    Lowndes, Eric 2
    McMahon, Philip 2
    McManamon, Kevin 2
    Mullins, Cian 2
    Nolan, Kevin 2
    Guckian, Chris 1+1
    Cooper, Jonny 0+2
    Fanning, Eoin 0+2
    McGovern, Niall 0+2
    Watson, Daniel 0+2
    Costello, Cormac 1
    Cluxton, Stephen 1
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 1
    O'Carroll, Rory 1
    Ryan, Philip 1
    Sweeney, Gary 1
    Fletcher, Luke 0+1
    Flynn, Paul 0+1

Dublin have scored 2-34(40) and conceded 3-26(35) in 3 O'Byrne Cup games. Scorers 2014 O'Byrne Cup Games

Hudson, Paul 0-12
    Watson, Daniel 2-2
    Costello, Cormac 0-5
    Whelan, Jason 0-4
    Carty, Shane 0-2
    Fanning, Eoin 0-2
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-2
    McManamon, Kevin 0-2
    Dawson, Harry 0-1
    Lowndes, Eric 0-1
    Walsh, Conor 0-1

Player Championship Games Played Scored
    Andrews, Paddy 14 1-11
    Bastic, Denis 23 1-6
    Brady, Tomas 2 0-2
    Brennan, Ger 27 0-5
    Brogan, Alan 63 11-128
    Brogan, Bernard 39 14-158
    Cluxton, Stephen 71 0-47 -41 Clean Sheets Conceded 43 goals
    Connolly, Diarmuid 31 6-42
    Cooper, Jonny 11 0-1
    Costello, Cormac 6 1-10
    Cullen, Bryan 55 0-36
    Daly, Darren 8
    Devereux, Nicky 7 0-1
    Fitzsimons, Michael 22
    Flynn, Paul 35 3-33
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 9 0-14
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 27 2-6
    Mannion, Paul 11 3-9
    McCaffrey, Jack 12 1-2
    McCarthy, James 22 1-2
    McMahon, Philip 25 0-6
    McManamon, Kevin 25 4-21
    Nolan, Kevin 22 0-5
    O'Brien, Kevin 5
    O'Carroll, Rory 30
    O'Gara, Eoghan 27 6-15
    O'Mahony, Declan 5 0-1
    O'Sullivan, Cian 22 0-5
    Rock, Dean 11 0-20

• Advertisement

Jim Gavin managerial Championship/League record played 29 won 23 drawn 2 lost 4 scored 46-481(619) conceded 26-357(435)

2014 Championship Played 5 Won-4 Drawn-0 Lost-1 Scored 9-105(132) Conceded 5-63(78)
    2013 Championship Played 6 Won-6 Drawn-0 Lost-0 Scored 13-99(138) Conceded 5-71(86)
    2014 League Played 9 Won-6 Drawn-1 Lost-2 Scored 14-138(180) Conceded 11-117(150)
    2013 League Played 9 Won-7 Drawn-1 Lost-1 Scored 10-139(169) Conceded 5-106(121)
    29 23 2 4 46-481(619) 26-357(435)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Thats fascinating re scores . How impressive r the Brogans...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Miall108 wrote: »
    Fair play to Donegal yesterday, fantastic performance from a fantastic team. The first game the Dubs really have it put up to them and they fold. Dublin may learn next year to respect their opponents and maybe the media too who are even worse for sucking up to the Dubs

When have the Dublin team disrespected their opponents? What a complete crock of **** of a post.

Plenty to look forward to next season.
    The return of Ciaran Kilkenny/Kevin O'Brien/Ger Brennan/Shane Carty
    a fully fit Dean Rock & Paul Mannion
    plus we have young Davy Byrne from Olafs,Eric Lowndes,Emmett O'Conghaile,Michael Concarr & Conor McHugh who should be pushing for starting 15
    Anyone know what happened to Gary Sweeney? Have injuries/loss of form held him back?
    Hopefully Al Brogan and Cullen give it another season. I think Bastic will prob retire.
    Cian O'Sullivan should be restored to wing back. Think McCaffrey should be tried as a defensive half forward and Flynn in the middle of the park

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

When have the Dublin team disrespected their opponents? What a complete crock of **** of a post.

What I mean is the Dublin team were expecting to just turn up and win and the team naively fed off that attitude. Dont deny it cos its true. Everyone was saying it and not everyone can be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

Gael85 wrote: »
    Dublin have used 25 players in 5 Championship games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 Championship Games

Brogan, Alan 5
    Cluxton, Stephen 5
    Connolly, Diarmuid 5
    Flynn, Paul 5
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 5
    McCarthy, James 5
    McMahon, Philip 5
    O'Carroll, Rory 5
    O'Sullivan, Cian 5
    Devereux, Nicky 4+1
    McManamon, Kevin 3+2
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3+2
    Mannion, Paul 2+3
    McCaffrey, Jack 2+3
    Costello, Cormac 1+4
    Rock, Dean 1+4
    Brogan, Bernard 4
    Cooper, Jonny 4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 3+1
    Daly, Darren 1+3
    Andrews, Paddy 1+2
    Brady, Tomas 0+2
    Cullen, Bryan 0+2
    Nolan, Kevin 1
    Bastic Denis 0+1

Dublin have scored 9-105(132) and conceded 5-63(78) in 5 Championship games. Scorers 2014 Championship Game

Brogan, Bernard 2-17
    Connolly, Diarmuid 2-11
    Flynn, Paul 1-12
    Costello, Cormac 1-10
    McManamon, Kevin 1-8
    Rock, Dean 0-10
    O'Gara, Eoghan 1-6
    Brogan, Alan 0-8
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-5
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 1-1
    Andrews, Paddy 0-3
    Mannion, Paul 0-3
    Brady, Tomas 0-2
    McMahon, Philip 0-2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-1
    Cullen, Bryan 0-1
    Devereux, Nicky 0-1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0-1
    McCarthy, James 0-1

Dublin have used 36 players in 9 league games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 League Games

Cooper, Jonny 9
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 8+1
    O'Gara, Eoghan 6+3
    Cluxton, Stephen 8
    McMahon, Philip 8
    McManamon, Kevin 7+1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 2+6
    Nelson, Darragh 2+6
    O'Sullivan, Cian 7
    Brogan, Alan 6+1
    Reddin, Ciaran 5+2
    Nolan, Kevin 4+3
    McCarthy, James 6
    Andrews, Paddy 5+1
    Fitzsimons, Michael 5+1
    Brady, Tomas 2+4
    McCaffrey, Jack 2+4
    Devereux, Nicky 2+3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 4
    Cullen, Bryan 4
    Flynn, Paul 4
    George, Sean 4
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 4
    O'Carroll, Rory 4
    Costello, Cormac 3+1
    Carty, Shane 2+2
    Whelan, Jason 2+2
    Lowndes, Eric 3
    Daly, Darren 2+1
    O'Mahony, Declan 2+1
    Hudson, Paul 1+2
    Brogan, Bernard 1+1
    Currie, Sean 1+1
    Mannion, Paul 0+2
    O'Brien, Kevin 0+1
    Watson, Daniel 0+1

Dublin have scored 14-138(180) and conceded 11-117(150) in 9 league games. Scorers 2014 League Games

McManamon, Kevin 3-17
    Connolly, Diarmuid 2-11
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3-7
    Brogan, Bernard 1-11
    Brogan, Alan 0-12
    Andrews, Paddy 1-8
    Costello, Cormac 0-10
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-10
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2-2
    Hudson, Paul 0-7
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-6
    Reddin, Ciaran 0-6
    Whelan, Jason 1-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    Cooper, Jonny 0-4
    McCarthy, James 1-1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 0-3
    Carty, Shane 0-3
    Cullen, Bryan 0-2
    Mannion, Paul 0-2
    McMahon, Philip 0-2
    Nelson, Darragh 0-2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-2
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0-1

Dublin have used 30 players in 3 O'Byrne Cup games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 O'Byrne Cup Games

Carthy, Shane 3
    Fitzsimons, Michael 3
    George, Sean 3
    Hudson, Paul 3
    O'Mahony, Declan 3
    Whelan, Jason 3
    Dawson, Harry 2+1
    Nelson, Darragh 2+1
    Walsh, Conor 2+1
    Cullen, Bryan 2
    Currie, Sean 2
    Daly, Darren 2
    Lowndes, Eric 2
    McMahon, Philip 2
    McManamon, Kevin 2
    Mullins, Cian 2
    Nolan, Kevin 2
    Guckian, Chris 1+1
    Cooper, Jonny 0+2
    Fanning, Eoin 0+2
    McGovern, Niall 0+2
    Watson, Daniel 0+2
    Costello, Cormac 1
    Cluxton, Stephen 1
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 1
    O'Carroll, Rory 1
    Ryan, Philip 1
    Sweeney, Gary 1
    Fletcher, Luke 0+1
    Flynn, Paul 0+1

Dublin have scored 2-34(40) and conceded 3-26(35) in 3 O'Byrne Cup games. Scorers 2014 O'Byrne Cup Games

Hudson, Paul 0-12
    Watson, Daniel 2-2
    Costello, Cormac 0-5
    Whelan, Jason 0-4
    Carty, Shane 0-2
    Fanning, Eoin 0-2
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-2
    McManamon, Kevin 0-2
    Dawson, Harry 0-1
    Lowndes, Eric 0-1
    Walsh, Conor 0-1

Didnt realise Bastic had come on in one of the games, was badly missed yesterday, had a shoulder operation in the winter i think, 33 now so may not be back.

after 27 mins Dub 0 9 Don 0 4 after 48mins Dub 0 12 Don 3 11 (in 23 mins of play Dub outscored by 3 7 to 0 3)

• Advertisement

What I mean is the Dublin team were expecting to just turn up and win and the team naively fed off that attitude. Dont deny it cos its true. Everyone was saying it and not everyone can be wrong

Absolute bull****. The team did not just expect to turn up and win. We were beaten by the better team on the day. That's sport. Again, I still don't see where Dublin disrespected anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This happens a lot, the media tell everyone how great the Dubs are then when they they get beat its because they were cocky, the truth is the Dubs were beaten by a better team on the day, Donegal played a great game and Dubs got a lot wrong and played poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Colm O'Rourke said it? Oh right it must be true so.

Still calling bull**** on your original post. Typical trolling comment. I'll say it again. Dublin did not disrespect Donegal.

I wasnt trolling, I was making a point that Dublin were caught cold on the day, maybe they didnt disrespect Donegal but they certainly didnt expect such an onslaught and had no plan b to respond and panicked. There were a lot of desperate and panicky wides kicked near the end

I wasnt trolling, I was making a point that Dublin were caught cold on the day, maybe they didnt disrespect Donegal but they certainly didnt expect such an onslaught and had no plan b to respond and panicked. There were a lot of desperate and panicky wides kicked near the end

So you take it back then. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

24 hours later and it still hurts terribly. The shock has turned to depression now. I can take being beaten by the better team on the day. It happens. I can take some of our players having off days. It happens, even if it was bloody bad luck for so many of them to have it on the same shaggin' day. I can take being out thought on the sidelines. Gavin will probably be the first to admit that he got the game plan badly wrong in deciding to leave our own goal so badly exposed. I agree that it was foolhardy of him to stick with the uber offensive template & not come up with template that was designed with Donegal specifically in mind. But all of those things can be worked on next year.

What is upsetting me most is the lack of composure in the second half. Even with the 3 goals we conceded, even with so many lads off kilter, even with the lack of productivity from the full forwards, even with our backs horribly exposed, even with the kick outs going wrong, even with losing the midfield battle, even with Cluxton missing all the 45's, it was still only a 5 pt game at the 50 minute mark. With a bit more composure and better decision making when going for points, we could have had it tied up by the 60th minute. Then it would have been all to play for & I would have fancied our chances then. But were just at sea all over. That is the part that is bothering me most, because it is not a quick or easy fix.

Still n'all, I'll still be there at Parnell Park come January 5th, freezing my giblets off watching the excitement of the O'Byrne Cup unfold. 2014 is over. It's time to look ahead now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Mod - If you've a problem with a post it should be reported rather than engaging with the poster. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Paddy power disrespected Donegal but not this Dublin team. They play right to the bitter end against teams. I think that's a better gauge than what you might take from the opinions of journalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Rte reporting that Anthony Daly has stepped down as hurling manager. No surprise really.

Rte reporting that Anthony Daly has stepped down as hurling manager. No surprise really.

Yup confirmed on official twitter feed of DCB .... thanks Dalo for the memories particularly the NHL in 2011 it really set the standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Well Galway want him, and I believe Dublin wanted 3 years or nothing from him.
    Hopefully we can get somebody good in there and start fresh with a new focus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Paddy power disrespected Donegal but not this Dublin team. They play right to the bitter end against teams. I think that's a better gauge than what you might take from the opinions of journalists.

I'd say Paddy Power are more than delighted at the outcome yesterday, they'll have gold stores after the money lost. Their prices are based on the money being put down on the respective teams, remember that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Daly's time had come, he's taken them as far as he could and has improved that group of lads ten fold. Bit of a legacy there.

Any thoughts on who's likely to replace him?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Daly's time had come, he's taken them as far as he could and has improved that group of lads ten fold. Bit of a legacy there.

Any thoughts on who's likely to replace him?

Would like to see Nicky English or Liam Sheehy

I'd say Paddy Power are more than delighted at the outcome yesterday, they'll have gold stores after the money lost. Their prices are based on the money being put down on the respective teams, remember that.

Bit of a simplistic view tbh, these bookies employ Quantitive Analysts to set the market odds, to say that money is the sole catalyst for the trade is incorrect. Risk is managed by lay offs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Gael85 wrote: »
    Would like to see Nicky English or Liam Sheehy

I think both have big bank jobs up in Dublin? Mightn't be too improbable, though they are probably comfortable with their punditry jobs.

As regards to Daly, there's no doubt he has brought on the Dubs since he took over them and should be looked upon in a positive time in charge. There's no doubt their chance to go all the way was last year, but luck just deserted against Cork.

That said there is a huge challenge there for the next manager. The underage structures are definitely there, (did well in the inter county underage tournaments last weekend), but the lure of football in posing issues, as many of their underage stars that they needed are switching codes. This means that the next manager is inheriting one of the more older squads of the championship.

I think there is the possibility that Dublin will enter a transitional period next year, which means the manager appointment is crucial. I think it's important that time is given to the manager too to implement his new style. I think with Daly, although many would argue he played to the Dubs strengths, his more defensive style is a little out-dated in the high scoring game we have now. JBM and Davy are sort of similar examples of managers bringing in a new look team and implementing a philosophy that suits them, with success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Fair play to Anthony Daly. Sad to see him stepping aside but its probably for the best. Gave a lot to the job.

I say probably because the trend he set has us having a good year next year.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Probably the best decision all round, but he has given Dublin hurling some service all the same.

Really the biggest chance was probably last year, in the semi final I thought they were pretty unlucky not to beat Cork and were marginally the better team on the day, despite not playing anywhere near as well as the had in Leinster. I certainly think that Dublin would have had a decent shot in the final against us if they had turned in a performance like earlier in the year against Kk or Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I wish Daly all the best and he did very well to get the best of our bunch of hurlers despite losing dual players to the Dublin football team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I wish Daly all the best and he did very well to get the best of our bunch of hurlers despite losing dual players to the Dublin football team.

And never once complained about it either, that I am aware of at least, plenty of other managers would be falling over the microphone to drop that excuse in after a defeat

Was going to post the below on the Waterford page but decided it would be more appropriate here:

Yeah after some though, they were stone useless before 2009 so I think he deserves a lot of credit. Here's some of his achievements:
    • A first Leinster Final appearance since 1991, and only the third appearance since 1964 (other being 1990). They went onto play 4 under his charge (out of 6 years in charge)
    • First Leinster title since 1961.
    • Firs League title since 1939.
    • I think maybe they will be disappointed they only made two all-ireland semis, and lost to Antrim one year but 12/23 wins (with two extra draws) is a win rate of over 52%.

There record in the previous 6 years was 4/22 (with two extra draws) or 18.18% and the Daly percentage probably doesn't even do him justice considering the caliber of teams that usually knocked them out.

He achieved an awful lot with Dublin and in defeat or victory was always gracious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks Anto.

You had us dining at the top table for a while. Ok, so we never got to hang around long enough to sample the main course, but at least we were there, after many, many years down in the cellar, just peelin' the shpuds.

You laid the foundation that others can now (hopefully) push on from & build on. So thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

For Donegal? Don't like the way the play football and they've a unique set of supporters

Genuine question : What is unique about them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm re-watching the match. No idea how you couldn't like this Donegal team. It's such a cliché to just write off their "style". But 2011, 2012 and 2014 have all been different from my POV.

I'm re-watching the match. No idea how you couldn't like this Donegal team. It's such a cliché to just write off their "style". But 2011, 2012 and 2014 have all been different from my POV.

Agreed, they were brilliant and went for the juggular. Calling a spade a spade Dublin's defense was a joke but they went for the juggular. They competed for every ball and had the class in a few of their players to really make it count.

Can't compare 0-5 point Donegal and 3-14 Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Have a feeling the new hurling manager will be Donal Og Cusack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

big_drive wrote: »
    Have a feeling the new hurling manager will be Donal Og Cusack

At least we'd be spared from having to watch him on tv!

He's a great analyst.

Liam Sheedy would be a serious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Donal Og Cusack has no management experience so I wouldn't be too keen on him.

I can't see Liam Sheedy being interested in inter county management at the moment.

True enough. You can but dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Donal Og Cusack has no management experience so I wouldn't be too keen on him.

I can't see Liam Sheedy being interested in inter county management at the moment.

I'd say you're correct on both counts. Cusack would need to start at the bottom and work up rather than go in at the deep end. Talking hurling is very different to managing it. Perhaps he might start with getting involved with underage Cork teams.

Sheedy is on record as saying he wouldn't manage any team other than Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Grats wrote: »
    At least we'd be spared from having to watch him on tv!

I've found him brilliant to watch on TV. By far the highlight of the Sunday game this year for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'll never forget the 2013 SHC semi-final against Cork or the League and Leinster finals in 2011. I'll look back on Daly's tenure as Dublin manager with great fondness in the years to come - thanks for the memories.

Right now I would swap those memories if I could erase the memory of last Sunday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I'll never forget the 2013 SHC semi-final against Cork or the League and Leinster finals in 2011. I'll look back on Daly's tenure as Dublin manager with great fondness in the years to come - thanks for the memories.

Right now I would swap those memories if I could erase the memory of last Sunday :(

Watched a re run of the 2011 league final on youtube yesterday for good measure.

Forgot we restricted them to 1-1 from play! Can still remember Keaneys massive score from halfway towards the end though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Watched a re run of the 2011 league final on youtube yesterday for good measure.

Forgot we restricted them to 1-1 from play! Can still remember Keaneys massive score from halfway towards the end though.:)

Some of the scores we got towards the end of that game were unbelieveable, still hard to choose between that day and the football final for me as best day as a Dublin fan both equally as enjoyable.

Have no doubt Daly will win the All-Ireland as a manger just a shame it couldn't have been with us :( The man is a living legend as far as i'm concerned for what he done for us with the hurlers and wish him all the success in the future. He has taken us from being perceived as a laughing stock for years throughout the hurling counties to being recognized as being one of the top 6 teams in the country.

People always gave out that because of our population we were a disgrace that we didn't care for our hurling team as much as our football team, well they may be sorry that they ever woke the beast.

Hopefully we can get a top manager in, really think it has to be an outside appointment as I don't think we have a top manager in our county just yet, in years to come maybe if we can build on the foundation Daly has laid we will have top managers possibly coming from the current group of players, for now though we need a manager like Daly who has a proven top class hurling track record a winning mentality. Would love to see Sheedy take over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I've been away, so apologies for bringing up Sunday again.

It was a hugely disappointing day not to get either team into the All-Ireland Final. The defending for the second goal was actually comical, all at sea. It reminded me of the exposure that Cluxton and O'Carroll faced against Meath in 2010. The need for re-arranging the half-back line before throw-in is beyond me.

I think they mentally weren't at the races either. For all the post-match talk of being prepared for anything and everything that Donegal would throw at us, they fairly well collapsed once Donegal put it up to us. Games likes Kerry last year, and Cork and Mayo in the league this year had convinced me, and it seems the players, that they could stay calm no matter what the situation was. The 17, or so, wides on Sunday suggest something else.

The weakness of Leinster, apart from being sad considering how good the Leinster Championship used to be, is also highly detrimental to Dublin. We need proper tests earlier on in the season, or else most of what happens between April and the August Bank Holiday weekend is of little consequence.

Having said all of that, u-21 champions this year, so the future is still bright. The minors were unlucky; a kick of a ball away from getting to the final. Jim Gavin had quite a good record against McGuinness, beating him in the 2010 21s final, while also relegating the then All-Ireland Champions Donegal last year. I don't buy into the idea that McGuinness is better than a man who had managed a side to 3 of the last 4 major competitions in the GAA world. As Martin Breheny said in the Indo, had one or both of Dublin's big first half goals gone in, it was a different story come full time.

On Dalo, it's completely understandable that he would want to go. The whole thing had run its course. He did a great job to bring us from losing to Westmeath in Leinster, to Leinster Champions, in such a short space of time. The big question mark for hurling going forward is the hemorrhaging of young talent to football. Costello, Kilkenny, Lowndes etc all played in the minor final in 2011, but you couldn't see them going back anytime soon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement