Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Diarmuid Connolly with a bit of a special goal this evening for St Vincent's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I could watch that over and over! Sheer class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Was chatting to a lad that was umpiring that game, he said DC was absolutely brilliant, the old egg of him being a better hurler .. but isn't it great to see a lad, who all things being equal, should've been lining out in an AI Final this week and instead in lining out for his club in hurling champ ..

Edit.. Whoops can't see above clip in work, just realised it's Football :o, but had a great game to in Hurling too by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

He makes it look so easy & effortless doesn't he?

Sometimes I want to run onto the pitch during Dubs games, and give him a good kick up the arse for looking so casual as he approaches the goal mouth. Sometimes he seems to not really give a damm whether the ball ends up in the back of the net or not.

But then he goes and does something like that.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You and everyone else.
    That miss in the semi is one we'll live to regret.

Slattsy wrote: »
    You and everyone else.

We'll regret it upto this Sunday alright, but in the longer term I'd expect normal service to resume ..

I've spoken to 2 lads since the defeat, the significance of the goal misses isn't lost on anybody in the camp :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

ProudDUB wrote: »
    He makes it look so easy & effortless doesn't he?

Sometimes I want to run onto the pitch during Dubs games, and give him a good kick up the arse for looking so casual as he approaches the goal mouth. Sometimes he seems to not really give a damm whether the ball ends up in the back of the net or not.

But then he goes and does something like that.... :rolleyes:

I was thinking the exact same. His calmness looks fantastic in the clip above but sometimes at the highest level you'll be punished for being lethargic no matter how talented you are.

What a goal though, I could watch it all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/2015-football-league-fixtures-1677487-Sep2014/

Was looking at getting a GAA Season Ticket this year as it looked like good value but this looks like they won't be running the Spring Series in 2015 and probably won't make couple of those away dates. Is the season ticket still worth it?

What dates do the Parnell Pass run through?

Thanks in advance

DoctaDee wrote: »
    We'll regret it upto this Sunday alright, but in the longer term I'd expect normal service to resume ..

I've spoken to 2 lads since the defeat, the significance of the goal misses isn't lost on anybody in the camp :(
    You and everyone else.
    I was thinking the exact same. His calmness looks fantastic in the clip above but sometimes at the highest level you'll be punished for being lethargic no matter how talented you are.

I think the writing was on the wall (that this could could hurt us) all the way back in the 2013 quarter final against Cork. We had something like 14 genuine goal chances and we only converted two of them. It didn't hurt us last year, but by God, it did this year.

It is the #1 thing I want to see corrected for next year.

I honestly don't know the reason for it. Maybe its all the competition for places, especially in the forwards. Maybe they think that they have to make an impact and score a goal, coz if they don't they'll get yanked off and someone else will. Which leads to stupid/sloppy/careless/poorly timed shots at goal.

Or maybe its just "ah sure I'll give it a go, joie de vivre. If it goes in great, if it doesn't Berno, Dermo, Cormac, Eoghan, Kev Mc or the cast of thousands, will convert the next chance we get".

That's all well and good when we are roaring thru Leinster, when we actually get 10-12 goal chances per game. The law of averages says that we'll still get 2-3 goals per game, even if we only convert 20% of our chances. But in the games against the best teams, with the best defenses....you are only going to get a small handful of real goal chances per game. What happens then?

If razor sharp decision making, passing, vision & clinicly efficient finishing isn't a part of your inbuilt match DNA since the very start of the year, it's very hard to only start doing it in August or September. Jim Gavin talks a lot about letting the players "go out and express themselves". That's all well and good, but they need to be doing it within a framework that certain principles and disciplines are adhered to.

Sorry....needed to vent.:(

BKWDR wrote: »
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/2015-football-league-fixtures-1677487-Sep2014/

Was looking at getting a GAA Season Ticket this year as it looked like good value but this looks like they won't be running the Spring Series in 2015 and probably won't make couple of those away dates. Is the season ticket still worth it?

What dates do the Parnell Pass run through?

Thanks in advance

There's nothing in there that says that the Spring Series won't be on next year. The Spring Series is just the name given to our home league games, that you can get discounted admission to, if you buy one master ticket to all the games. The games are still going to go ahead next year, whether they decide to market it as another Spring Series or not.

The 2014 Parnell Pass runs from May 1 2014 to April 31st 2015. It will get you into all of our home league games in 2015. It will also get you into all of the Dublin club chamo games that are left in 2014. It won't get you into any 2015 Leinster or AI champo games, nor does it guarantee you an IA ticket if we make it to the final. You'd have to buy a 2015 Parnell Pass for that. They go on sale in early April 2015.

• Advertisement

There's nothing in there that says that the Spring Series won't be on next year.

You are totally correct, it only dawned on me as i was explaining it to someone else! Just the league opener will be in Cork.

Yeah the Spring Series is usually 30e and then with the rest of the league and Leinster, the 85e season ticket looks like it could be well worth it.

Lads just to clarify -

If you've a Parnell Pass you are entitled to an AI ticket should Dublin be there, irrespective of the number of games you attend throughout the year .. (yeah you can get an AI ticket without having attended any game before hand)

The season ticket is an attendance based ticket, you get the league games but not the SF or Final, the 1st round of Leinster and then options for the rest of the championship .. 60% attendance for all that and you're guanteed a ticket

The Spring Series ticket gets ya nothing but double pneumonia and frostbite in Croker :D ...

The Spring Series ticket gets ya nothing but double pneumonia and frostbite in Croker :D ...

No i know, see i usually buy the 30e spring series and then pay per ticket on tickets.ie for every game there after (home mostly).

So for the 85e itd be better value for me im thinking?

Love Spring Series time....

...Plus, i've missed out on the Parnell Pass. So if i don't buy the Season ticket in Nov, i will have to get the Spring Series tickets myself AND buy the Parnell Pass in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Lads just to clarify -

If you've a Parnell Pass you are entitled to an AI ticket should Dublin be there, irrespective of the number of games you attend throughout the year .. (yeah you can get an AI ticket without having attended any game before hand)

The season ticket is an attendance based ticket, you get the league games but not the SF or Final, the 1st round of Leinster and then options for the rest of the championship .. 60% attendance for all that and you're guanteed a ticket

I assume you have a typo (or I have a horrible understanding of the season ticket. You do get the SF, F and opening round of the Leinster Championship. With the season ticket you also get 5e off each match after the opening round of the championship.

If Dublin make it to the league final. You make your money back.

BKWDR wrote: »
    ...Plus, i've missed out on the Parnell Pass. So if i don't buy the Season ticket in Nov, i will have to get the Spring Series tickets myself AND buy the Parnell Pass in May

1. You probably still can get a 2014 PP. They only sold out last year as people were scrambling for AI final tickets and the PP gives you an entitlement to buy one. The DCB probably have some left over, seeing as we didn't make the final. Buying a PP is only worth it financially, if you go to a lot of club games, as the PP gets you into them for free. As I go to lots of club games, the PP makes financial sense for me. Knowing that you are guaranteed an AI final ticket is a pretty sweet bonus, but it wouldn't make financial sense to buy one unless you plan on going to lots of club games too.

2. Do you already have a season ticket? If you do, you'll be able to renew it for next year. If you don't, you may not be able to buy one. Each county is given an allocation of season tickets. People who already have one, are given the first chance renew their season ticket for the up coming season. Last years renewals took up all of our allocation, so no new stand season tickets went on general sale to the public. Only season tickets for the Hill were available.

bren2001 wrote: »
    I assume you have a type (or I have a horrible understanding of the season ticket. You do get the SF, F and opening round of the Leinster Championship. With the season ticket you also get 5e off each match after the opening round of the championship.

If Dublin make it to the league final. You make your money back.

Sorry Bren .. got my tickets mixed up no SF or League Final on the PP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

2. Do you already have a season ticket? If you do, you'll be able to renew it for next year. If you don't, you may not be able to buy one. Each county is given an allocation of season tickets. People who already have one, are given the first chance renew their season ticket for the up coming season. Last years renewals took up all of our allocation, so no new stand season tickets went on general sale to the public. Only season tickets for the Hill were available.

Even if stand season tickets become available, they will probably offer them on a first come first served basis to Hill season ticket holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The season ticket gives you a ticket to Dublin's Leinster Championship opener. Do I get to pick a section, or will I be stuck in 305, seat 25?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You'll be in 305. The seat is never guaranteed.

The season ticket gives you a ticket to Dublin's Leinster Championship opener. Do I get to pick a section, or will I be stuck in 305, seat 25?

Am pretty sure I have seen posts on here, from season ticket holders who were up in 705. The people who have had them longest, stay in the lower Cusack all year long. But for the sell out games (semi final and final) the people who have only bought them recently, found themselves bumped up to the Upper Cusack.

Am pretty sure I have seen posts on here from season ticket holders who were up in 705. The people who have had them longest, stay in the lower Cusack all year long. But for the sell out games (semi final and final) the people who have only bought them recently, found themselves bumped up to the Upper Cusack.

That's not true. I have had my ST from day one and I was in 706 for the Leinster Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Hearing Johnny Cooper was stabbed last night after a championship game. Hopefully not too serious if true.

Hearing Johnny Cooper was stabbed last night after a championship game. Hopefully not too serious if true.

Holy crap? Where was it?

EDIT: Na Fianna were playing Templeogue-Synge St last night. In Glasnevin so?

Holy crap? Where was it?

EDIT: Na Fianna were playing Templeogue-Synge St last night. In Glasnevin so?

Not to sure pal. I don't want to speculate too much because the story is only emerging. A lot of people tweeting about it now.

• Advertisement

Not to sure pal. I don't want to speculate too much because the story is only emerging. A lot of people tweeting about it now.

I was on twitter there and saw nothing on his page.

Well, if true I hope it's not serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Looks like it is true a lot of club twitter pages sending best wishes to him, shocking stuff

Update : He was attacked on Lower Dorset Street , injuries are not life threatening but he was taken to the Mater Hospital for treatment.

Reported here but not named http://www.thejournal.ie/stabbings-dublin-dorset-street-blanchardstown-1681272-Sep2014/

Joekers wrote: »
    Looks like it is true a lot of club twitter pages sending best wishes to him, shocking stuff

Update : He was attacked on Lower Dorset Street , injuries are not life threatening but he was taken to the Mater Hospital for treatment.

Reported here but not named http://www.thejournal.ie/stabbings-dublin-dorset-street-blanchardstown-1681272-Sep2014/

Awful stuff altogether. You have to be worried with the state of our city. A lot of undesirables about. Maybe Im unlucky but between myself and my Gf we have been victims of crime on 4 occasions in the last year but that's for another thread. Hope they get the c**ts who did this soon.

Best wishes to JC in his recovery and hopefully we see him back in the blue jersey next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Awful stuff altogether. You have to be worried with the state of our city. A lot of undesirables about. Maybe Im unlucky but between myself and my Gf we have been victims of crime on 4 occasions in the last year but that's for another thread. Hope they get the c**ts who did this soon.

Best wishes to JC in his recovery and hopefully we see him back in the blue jersey next year.

I understand that. It's just luck though. I have been a victim of one crime in my life and that was some scrote flying by me on a bike on Aungier St and nicking my phone from my hand in 2004, the day before my birthday. And despite wandering al over the city at all hours I've managed to be okay and that includes stupid stuff like walking home up Buckingham St and Summerhill when I lived in Ballybough.

Anyway, best of luck Jonny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

RTE saying he's recovering well and should be released later. Some good news at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Here's the scumbag on CCTV (01:33)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Edited to get the high horsemen outta their saddles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Not one bit funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Not one bit funny.

Exactly. Not an incident that should be joked about in any way shape or form. It was attempted murder and Jonny is a lucky lad to be still alive.

Awful to hear.

Didn't realise the extent of it until today.

I had a friend who had similar happen to him a fair few years ago.

Some scumbag set on him for next to no reason and he was stabbed about the same number of times including the face.
    He knew his assailant so he was caught.

Your man only did a year or two and racked up another few bad cases over a short period before killing himself about two years ago.

I guess the only form of justice you'll get in this country is if they top themselves as they won't be jailed a 10th long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

nm wrote: »
    Here's the scumbag on CCTV (01:33)

I think its a bit ridiculous that with such extensive CCTV footage only one still image has been released.

I understand its probably best not to release the footage of the attack itself, but as they say there was clear footage of the man walking around and before the attack itself.

Surely that footage might jog someone's memory or there could be recognisable traits to the man's gait or mannerisms.

As well as that an otherwise slightly blurry frame of footage can appear much sharper once incorporated in a piece of video. We've all paused a piece of television and seen what appeared to be a sharp image actually be made up of often blurry frames.

Why don't they release more than this one simple image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I think its a bit ridiculous that with such extensive CCTV footage only one still image has been released.

I understand its probably best not to release the footage of the attack itself, but as they say there was clear footage of the man walking around and before the attack itself.

Surely that footage might jog someone's memory or there could be recognisable traits to the man's gait or mannerisms.

As well as that an otherwise slightly blurry frame of footage can appear much sharper once incorporated in a piece of video. We've all paused a piece of television and seen what appeared to be a sharp image actually be made up of often blurry frames.

Why don't they release more than this one simple image?

I would guess that the cctv doesn't record a continuous video feed, it wouldn't make sense to Somewhere Central where there would always be people walking by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Grudaire wrote: »
    I would guess that the cctv doesn't record a continuous video feed, it wouldn't make sense to Somewhere Central where there would always be people walking by?

You mean that it's probably just a series of snapshots a few seconds apart? Gosh I would have thought the opposite to be honest - or rather expected that most inner city CCTV would have at least a frame-rate of 10f/s in this day and age with everything digital.

Maybe I'm wrong, although the impression I got from the report was that there was extensive video footage available - they just decided not to show any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I imagine the picture given is such that you either know the guy or you don't in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hope they catch the fella who attacked Jonny,an act of a scumbag it was

Good to hear too that Jonny is making a good recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Sorry for going off topic and if its not the right place to post this please delete the posting mods but due to a change in my work roster I will not be able to attend Dublin county board matches or some league games at the weekend so I am selling my Parnell Pass for 2014/2015 for the terrace. it cost €130 and I will accept €90. Pm me if anyones interested. It covers admission to all home league games involving the hurlers and footballers and all county club games. I can meet in the city center or arrange posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Hope they catch the fella who attacked Jonny,an act of a scumbag it was

Good to hear too that Jonny is making a good recovery.

Looks like the guards are close to arresting that scum bag that stabbed cooper. Makes you angry to read his previous convictions.....he shouldn't be walking the streets

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gardai-identify-suspect-sought-for-stabbing-of-dublin-footballer-1.1944252

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

What a unbelieveable collapse by the Dublin ladies.

10 points up with 21 minutes to go. Talk about bottling it. Bloody dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

bloody dreadful is right, terrible collapse - even worse as i had them backed at 4/1 a few months ago

How about laying off with the over the top phrases like that? These girls deserve great credit for getting to an AI final & really putting it up to a team who have God knows how many AI medals in their back pockets. There are plenty of teams who have built up big leads, only to take their foot off the gas see it get whittled away in the 4th quarter. They won't be the first team to have that happen to them & they won't be the last.

It was a serious collapse though. I remember being at the 2009 final and being absolutely galled by how they lost that one. God knows what today was like there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

There is a tendency to go easy on them because they are lovely ladies however it was a terrible loss.

Cork were half drunk looking. Don't think they trained enough. Made lots of basic errors. I mean they had a fair few frees in front of the posts and still couldn't point them! The girls will be walking away wondering how in the name of Jesus Christ they did not win that game.

Cork's win papered over a shocking performance from them. Real lack of quality in the finishing. They did take some fine scores to win it though but there are no excuses for the misses they had in the first 50 minutes.

Dublin had a few shocking wides too though to be fair. Half hitting a ball in hope sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Neeson wrote: »
    There is a tendency to go easy on them because they are lovely ladies however it was a terrible loss.

Cork were half drunk looking. Don't think they trained enough. Made lots of basic errors. I mean they had a fair few frees in front of the posts and still couldn't point them! The girls will be walking away wondering how in the name of Jesus Christ they did not win that game.

Cork's win papered over a shocking performance from them. Real lack of quality in the finishing. They did take some fine scores to win it though but there are no excuses for the misses they had in the first 50 minutes.

Dublin had a few shocking wides too though to be fair. Half hitting a ball in hope sometimes.

I don't mean to be funny, but that Dublin team cannot hold a lead against Cork. This is their FOURTH collapse against Cork. I wouldn't count the 2009 final, as that was nip and tuck. 2011 QF they were six points up and lost, last years QF 9 points up and lost by 4 points, this years league final where they were four points up late in the second half, and yesterday 10 points with 18 minutes to go (I think!)

The conveyor belt of talent is there for the Dubs, won a number of under 21 titles and been close in the underage competitions, but there has to be questions asked. Why when in such a good position they collapse - I genuinely feel for those girls today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement