Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Whatever about the result, I thought the game was a good spectacle, far better than the normal football served up by the menfolk. Played at a fairly fast and free flowing pace. The most notable thing apart from the lack of petty cynical fouling was the absence as far as I could see of any 'off the ball incidents', schmozzles or punch ups that regularly characterise the mens game. If women can play the game in this spirit, why not the fellas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

BarryD wrote: »
    If women can play the game in this spirit, why not the fellas??

Testosterone, pure and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

BarryD wrote: »
    Whatever about the result, I thought the game was a good spectacle, far better than the normal football served up by the menfolk. Played at a fairly fast and free flowing pace. The most notable thing apart from the lack of petty cynical fouling was the absence as far as I could see of any 'off the ball incidents', schmozzles or punch ups that regularly characterise the mens game. If women can play the game in this spirit, why not the fellas??

Strange I thought the standard of shooting/free taking/kick passing was poor throughout from both teams.

Felt sorry for them must play on their minds now regarding the collpase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

When Cork came back to within 3 i knew they would win. Pure momentum closed it out for them. If Dublin had of pointed their couple of chances they had when Cork had put a few wide i think they might have scraped it but it was a terrible collapse.

Very entertaining watching all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

At half time i suspected Cork would pull it back. Why? Dublin expended far more energy in the first half of the game. You could see Cork biding their time knowing that a tired team will eventually haemorrhage scores, and thats what happened. Comes with experience.

Dublin really have to learn that lesson. Manic workrate up and down the pitch is great in the first half but if you can't sustain it be prepared to give up a huge score towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

corny wrote: »
    At half time i suspected Cork would pull it back. Why? Dublin expended far more energy in the first half of the game. You could see Cork biding their time knowing that a tired team will eventually haemorrhage scores, and thats what happened. Comes with experience.

Dublin really have to learn that lesson. Manic workrate up and down the pitch is great in the first half but if you can't sustain it be prepared to give up a huge score towards the end.

Agree there, Just to add I think that Cork timed their subs very cleverly and it had an impact in the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I was pitch side and the last 10 minutes the build up in lactic in the dublin girls was so obvious, heads lolling as they were chasing their markers, couldnt get near their markers. This is a stamina/fitness issue. While this was in contrast to the first 20 when the cork girls couldnt get near the dublin players when they were attacking.

Having sad that, I think I counted 12-13 cork wides in the first half of at least 10 were very poor for that level which anyone who seen the match would have agreed on. so at half time that would have seen the teams closer as Dublin very economical with their scores.
    That last 15-20 minutes Cork wave of scores, of which sure some of it was the subs, but seeing 2 dublin players running on empty summed it up for me, even 1 fit player in there to stop 2-3 passes might carried them over the line.

If so much talk was made of Dublin conditioning, why were cork running by them at the end? what are they doing in training that Dublin arent?

what a match though, learning experience for Dublin.

I was pitch side and the last 10 minutes the build up in lactic in the dublin girls was so obvious, heads lolling as they were chasing their markers, couldnt get near their markers. This is a stamina/fitness issue. While this was in contrast to the first 20 when the cork girls couldnt get near the dublin players when they were attacking.

Having sad that, I think I counted 12-13 cork wides in the first half of at least 10 were very poor for that level which anyone who seen the match would have agreed on. so at half time that would have seen the teams closer as Dublin very economical with their scores.
    That last 15-20 minutes Cork wave of scores, of which sure some of it was the subs, but seeing 2 dublin players running on empty summed it up for me, even 1 fit player in there to stop 2-3 passes might carried them over the line.

If so much talk was made of Dublin conditioning, why were cork running by them at the end? what are they doing in training that Dublin arent?

what a match though, learning experience for Dublin.

It doesn't matter how fit you are you will eventually weaken. How quickly you reach that point depends on how hard you work obviously. For me, Dublin were working far harder in attack and defence in the first half. Numbers bursting up the field on a turnover, numbers frantically chasing back on a turnover. That can't last and if the opposition are biding their time (the Cork girls were effectively pacing themselves) eventually you're going to play catch up with relative fatigue. Its an understatement to say the Cork girls know what it takes.

Dublin may actually have been a fitter team you know. ie expended more energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What an annus horribilis for Dublin all round :(

It doesn't matter how fit you are you will eventually weaken. How quickly you reach that point depends on how hard you work obviously. For me, Dublin were working far harder in attack and defence in the first half. Numbers bursting up the field on a turnover, numbers frantically chasing back on a turnover. That can't last and if the opposition are biding their time (the Cork girls were effectively pacing themselves) eventually you're going to play catch up with relative fatigue. Its an understatement to say the Cork girls know what it takes.

Dublin may actually have been a fitter team you know. ie expended more energy.

Dublin definitely worked harder in first half but at that level, it had to have been game management to do that and not just individuals busting a gut. So naivety either on the team as a whole, or management or both.

but if they as a team had set out to work harder than cork (Im not talking effort but controlled running which involves pacing oneself as an athlete), they must have thought they had the legs to do it for 70. After 55 minutes, it was obvious they didn't and price was paid.

Was talking to a guy from the midlands who had bussed up 3 under age teams who didnt want to miss the final, said they were blown away by it. He's never seen the interest as big as it is now. Im involved in underage teams and our own club has doubled in girls playing in the last 3 years. Although to be fair what a match to garner interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I'd like to take full responsibility for that .. brought the #3 lad to Croker for the 1st time this year . AISF and yesterday he's yet to see them win ... we're doing an exorcism next weekend just in case there's an issue :D

We still won the U21s and the League i suppose. Some good performances too.... hurlers in Wexford, footballers League semi against Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

We still won the U21s and the League i suppose. Some good performances too.... hurlers in Wexford, footballers League semi against Cork.

It's true :) But when it came down to really mattering in the seniors we fell short at every hurdle. The day out in Wexford was great but the trip to Thurles was a shocker, as were the trips to Galway and Waterford the first time in the league. In the football the trip to Derry was a kick, the win against Cork in the league was sublime and the Donegal match needs no comment.

I meant to ask if anyone got down to see Ballyboden/Ballinteer last week. Notwithstanding the result just wondering if Gillick matched up on MDM or whether Nicky D was tasked with it. MDM came off at HT so it probably isn't a lot to go on.

I'd really like to see COS drop back into the HB line next year and have a defence that knows how to primarily defend - this of course leads to a gap in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Gillick is not a footballer. He touched the ball 4 times in game I think. He was against MDMA/Mahoney, Boden owned midfield. Nicky was wasted doing a man marking job on Keaney in the fullback line, Keaney scored 1-2 off him. BSJ were very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The issue, late on, for the ladies on Sunday was the kick-outs. Dublin kept kicking the ball out and losing it every single time. There was no attempt to slow the play down, or win some handy frees. Dublin seemed to be intent on playing right into Cork's momentum. As others have said, this isn't the first time they've thrown away a big lead against Cork, but if the men's team are anything to go by, one win against Cork could remove all those inhibitions.

The issue, late on, for the ladies on Sunday was the kick-outs. Dublin kept kicking the ball out and losing it every single time. There was no attempt to slow the play down, or win some handy frees. Dublin seemed to be intent on playing right into Cork's momentum. As others have said, this isn't the first time they've thrown away a big lead against Cork, but if the men's team are anything to go by, one win against Cork could remove all those inhibitions.

Yeah just on that Cliodhna O'Connor was spoken to once and then a throw up on the 2nd occasion for taking quick kick outs, not privy to all the rules but I'm guessing she had to come out to the 21 yard line to recommence play .. it robbed them of 2 handy possessions all the same

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah just on that Cliodhna O'Connor was spoken to once and then a throw up on the 2nd occasion for taking quick kick outs, not privy to all the rules but I'm guessing she had to come out to the 21 yard line to recommence play .. it robbed them of 2 handy possessions all the same

2 possessions Which were the difference between winning and losing. Game management.
    Even the men's loss to Donegal. The play at 100 mph for as long as possible theory. There's ways to unlock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know when the county semi finals are on in both codes and also if you know when the finals will be scheduled for. Its it the Bank Holiday weekend?

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the county semi finals are on in both codes and also if you know when the finals will be scheduled for. Its it the Bank Holiday weekend?

Howya Billy - we're only at the Q/F stage in Football - this weekend Saturday is a double header in da Nell - OP/ER v Ballymun & Vincents v Templeogue SS

Sunday is down in O'Toole Park another double header Judes v Brigids & BBSE v Lucan

Both days are afternoon throw ins

Edit - Saturday the following week is a double header in Parnell for Hurling Semis
    O'Tooles v Judes & BBSE v Kilmacud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Howya Billy - we're only at the Q/F stage in Football - this weekend Saturday is a double header in da Nell - OP/ER v Ballymun & Vincents v Templeogue SS

Sunday is down in O'Toole Park another double header Judes v Brigids & BBSE v Lucan

Edit - Saturday the following week is a double header in Parnell for Hurling Semis

Intermediate Football Championship Semi Finals on this evening in Parnell Park. Fingallians vs BBSE (6:45pm) and Clanna Gael Fontenoy vs Castleknock (8:15pm).

Past30Now wrote: »
    Intermediate Football Championship Semi Finals on this evening in Parnell Park. Fingallians vs BBSE (6:45pm) and Clanna Gael Fontenoy vs Castleknock (8:15pm).

Looks like it's gonna be a horrible day but I'll probably get in for it anyways. From the outset (certainly after Pats Donabate were beaten) it had the looks of a Fins/Castleknock final - then again Olafs win last year shows anything can happen.

I've seen BBSE's AFL3 team a couple of times this year and they were very poor, but the changing nature of the championship season means that the team out tonight will bear little resemblance to the AFL3 team. The 4 IC players return to the senior set up has allowed them drop a number of their senior panel into the IFC. Their win over Judes last time out sorta reinforces that, coupled with the fact a few of the Judes minors who started in the IFC were taken into the senior panel.

The bigger clubs have the scope to "manage" their championship squads, if I was a betting man (and I am) - Paddy Power are offering 13/5 on BBSE win this evening, I think they'll have the strongest squad available to them with the chance of a county final, coupled with the fact that Flynner seems to be carrying a bit of a knock and being under utilised imo @ full forward. I'd love to see Fins win just have the feeling the BBSE team will be stacked.

Your lads have done exceptionally well to reach a SF without either of the Corcorans or Kilkenny. I know little of Fontenoy other than they've a few good young lads coming through mixed with a few wiser heads (Lyonsy) and some country lads in the back line. They've a strong midfielder (Connolly ?) and the wing forward Divney has caused a few problems to our lads on the couple of occasions I've seen him. On a level playing field I expect Castleknock to get over the line, there's little to suggest otherwise, I'm guessing the only thing against them is their inexperience in the IFC in only their 2nd year.

Just need the rain to stop now.

Looks like it's gonna be a horrible day but I'll probably get in for it anyways. From the outset (certainly after Pats Donabate were beaten) it had the looks of a Fins/Castleknock final - then again Olafs win last year shows anything can happen.

I've seen BBSE's AFL3 team a couple of times this year and they were very poor, but the changing nature of the championship season means that the team out tonight will bear little resemblance to the AFL3 team. The 4 IC players return to the senior set up has allowed them drop a number of their senior panel into the IFC. Their win over Judes last time out sorta reinforces that, coupled with the fact a few of the Judes minors who started in the IFC were taken into the senior panel.

The bigger clubs have the scope to "manage" their championship squads, if I was a betting man (and I am) - Paddy Power are offering 13/5 on BBSE win this evening, I think they'll have the strongest squad available to them with the chance of a county final, coupled with the fact that Flynner seems to be carrying a bit of a knock and being under utilised imo @ full forward. I'd love to see Fins win just have the feeling the BBSE team will be stacked.

Your lads have done exceptionally well to reach a SF without either of the Corcorans or Kilkenny. I know little of Fontenoy other than they've a few good young lads coming through mixed with a few wiser heads (Lyonsy) and some country lads in the back line. They've a strong midfielder (Connolly ?) and the wing forward Divney has caused a few problems to our lads on the couple of occasions I've seen him. On a level playing field I expect Castleknock to get over the line, there's little to suggest otherwise, I'm guessing the only thing against them is their inexperience in the IFC in only their 2nd year.

Just need the rain to stop now.

There's a good preview on Grassroots GAA of the Boden Fins match. He's leaning in the direction of Fins, on the basis that while Boden have extra players over and above their AFL3 team, they've had a comparatively easy run, specifically the Jude's match, who were a shadow of the team that beat St Pats (D).

We had an awful run earlier in the summer where a load of our lads went off on J1's. They are all back, and we are significantly stronger for it. The bonus of that period is that a number of young guys got a run on the first team, and whether starting or coming off the bench, they know they are up to AFL2 standard. Whether it's enough for this evenings match we'll find out this evening.

I haven't seen Clanna Gael Fontenoy, but will get a good look at them tonight. They are mid table in league 3 and could qualify for the play-offs.

I'm bringing my brolly.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's parking like around there?

There's a good preview on Grassroots GAA of the Boden Fins match. He's leaning in the direction of Fins, on the basis that while Boden have extra players over and above their AFL3 team, they've had a comparatively easy run, specifically the Jude's match, who were a shadow of the team that beat St Pats (D).

We had an awful run earlier in the summer were a load of our lads went off on J1's. They are all back, and we are significantly stronger for it. The bonus of that period is that a number of young guys got a run on the first team, and whether starting or coming off the bench, they know they are up to AFL2 standard. Whether it's enough for this evenings match we'll find out this evening.

I haven't seen Clanna Gael Fontenoy, but will get a good look at them tonight. They are mid table in league 3 and could qualify for the play-offs.

I'm bringing my brolly.:D

Yeah I really hope Fins win this evening if for no other reason they're a proper Inter team in the spirit of the Championship.

Was just onto a few lads trying to drum up a bit of interest in going in tonight, one of them told me that the young lad Divney for Fontenoys is out injured. If it's the same lad I'm thinking of he'll be a big loss

keane2097 wrote: »

The locals mightn't like it, but there is plenty of off street parking available around the ground.

Yeah I really hope Fins win this evening if for no other reason they're a proper Inter team in the spirit of the Championship.

Was just onto a few lads trying to drum up a bit of interest in going in tonight, one of them told me that the young lad Divney for Fontenoys is out injured. If it's the same lad I'm thinking of he'll be a big loss

I was going to "like" this post but I wouldn't mean it.

What happens if BBSE win the intermediate championship. Obviously they don't field two teams in the senior championship, (from recollection Brigids won it a few years ago). Does the runner up get promoted or is there no relegation?

The locals mightn't like it, but there is plenty of off street parking available around the ground.

Yeah very similar to Parnell Park

I was going to "like" this post but I wouldn't mean it.

What happens if BBSE win the intermediate championship. Obviously they don't field two teams in the senior championship, (from recollection Brigids won it a few years ago). Does the runner up get promoted or is there no relegation?

That's a good one, I don't rightly know. I suspect that runners up won't get a SFC place next year, I do know there's no relegation from IFC until there's 32 teams competing so as to get rid of the 1st round byes etc.

• Advertisement

That's a good one, I don't rightly know. I suspect that runners up won't get a SFC place next year, I do know there's no relegation from IFC until there's 32 teams competing so as to get rid of the 1st round byes etc.

hi doctadee. Do you know what time the plunketts game tomorrow is on at. Cheers

hi doctadee. Do you know what time the plunketts game tomorrow is on at. Cheers

3.30 Billy followed by Vins @ 5.00 pm

Thanks. I reckon this match could be a decent spectacle and worth a look

The Dublin IFC Final will be contested by Fingallians and Castleknock.

Fingallians got through in ET 1-10 to 1-05 after BBSE brought it all square in the 4th minute of added on time

Castleknock went in 3 points down @ HT but completely dominated the 2nd half with Clanna Gael not registering a score 0-10 to 0-04.

All info is courtesy of Dublin Match Tracker, the night that's in it I decided to warm the couch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Any sign of Ciaran Kilkenny back for Castleknock?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Apparently he was on the uisce duties..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

played there a few weeks ago and it looks like its mostly estates around there so parking is not the best id say.....

Thanks. I reckon this match could be a decent spectacle and worth a look

http://www.dublingaa.ie/fixtures is yer only man for fixtures, dates, times etc etc.

There is no public parking at O'Toole Park. The very small car park will be reserved for players, match officials etc etc.

It's grand though. There is plenty of parking on the nearby streets. It's better than Parnell Park imo, as you don't have busy main roads like Collins Ave & Malahide Rd to contend with.

The Dublin IFC Final will be contested by Fingallians and Castleknock.

Fingallians got through in ET 1-10 to 1-05 after BBSE brought it all square in the 4th minute of added on time

Castleknock went in 3 points down @ HT but completely dominated the 2nd half with Clanna Gael not registering a score 0-10 to 0-04.

All info is courtesy of Dublin Match Tracker, the night that's in it I decided to warm the couch :D

The Fingallians/Boden match was as good an argument for staying in to watch the Late Late you could get. I missed the first fifteen minutes and Boden were up 1 point to nil at that stage. The pace of scoring didn't improve much. That being said you wouldn't put a dog out in that weather, so fair play to all four teams. Fins two wing half backs were their best players and made plenty of ground for their team. Flynner didn't have his best game, but he still looked head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch that night. Happy to see Fins get through (on the basis of them being a first team).

I can't comment much on the Castleknock/Fontenoy match as I don't watch these matches with anything other than Castleknock eyes. We didn't really get going in the first half. They had most of the ball, and scored three good dead balls and one from play. Our centre forward had a great second half, and scored 7 our our 10 points. We made a couple of changes at half time and they seemed to make a big difference. Delighted with the win, and hope the final is played in better conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ger Cunningham new hurling manager?? 3 yr contract.
    Cant say i know a huge amount about him... but, I really dont think there were many options out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ger Cunningham new hurling manager?? 3 yr contract.
    Cant say i know a huge amount about him... but, I really dont think there were many options out there.

He was Cork goalie for 18 years, quite famous. Hasn't any inter county management experience but has had two stints as a selector with Cork and he was linked to the Limerick job last year when he left his role as a selector.

Also managed Ballygunner, current Waterford county champions, to a County title in 2009 with a bit of fortune I thought as felt the referee screwed De La Salle in the first game they drew, and they just about snuck through in extra time the second day. They were also fortunate to draw with Lismore in the County final, as Lismore shot themselves in the foot conceding 3 goals in about 5 minutes. Didn't see the actual final, but if memory serves me correctly they were narrowly beaten by Newtownshandrum of Cork in the Munster final that year after Paul Flynn and I think Barry Mullane goaled late on to make a game of it.

Not sure what that really says him to be honest, he has experience of inter county setups and has managed a top club team so I guess you could make far worse appointments even if it is a gamble.

EDIT: Thinkstoomuch said on the Cork page that Seanie McGrath from UCC (not the Cork selector) will join his management team. The below is a blurb taken from UCC's website about him

Seánie McGrath works for the Department of Education and Skills as a post-primary inspector with responsibility for Physical Education. He graduated from Thomond College with a degree in Physical Education and later from the University of Limerick with a Masters degree in Exercise Science.He was a highly capped international swimmer and has the distinction of winning a medal at every major championship including two European Championship bronze medals, a World Championship silver medal and Paralympic games bronze medal. Seánie has also sailed internationally for several years and has competed to the highest level as a member of the Irish Sonar Sailing Team. Seánie has been involved in coaching Athletics, Gaelic Football, Hurling and providing advice and support to numerous athletes and players at all levels including club, inter-county, provincial, national and international level.He has a particular interest in strength and conditioning and the design and implementation of integrated training methods that enable athletes and players to perform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Ye have got a hugely regarded top class coach and tactician in ger Cunningham. Hugely regarded in cork and disgracefully passed over as a cork manager over the years as his face didn't fit. Any young players who listen to ger will improve massively. Seanie McGrath is also massively regarded in cork and was the s&c coach with ger as a selector/coach for the hurlers from 03- 06. He has kept up to date and is an excellent addition to Dublin hurling for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

I think it could be a good appointment for Dublin. He seems to be highly rated in Cork and is regarded as a good tactician. I guess this is his progression from being a selector, so it could be a good move.

When he was involved with Cork, he oversaw alot of new young players being brought into the panel. I think this is the direction Dublin needs to take now as the Daly team has being around the block now a while and could do with being freshened up with new faces.

The only fear I would have is that he hasn't been around for Dublin Senior Hurling Championship games. He'll likely see three games (barring replays) before the NHL kicks off. His reputation precedes him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The only fear I would have is that he hasn't been around for Dublin Senior Hurling Championship games. He'll likely see three games (barring replays) before the NHL kicks off. His reputation precedes him though.

Was spotted at club games in Dublin last weekend so it seems he's keen to get stuck in on that front asap.

I'd imagine that some of his selectors will be lads who are well stuck into the Dublin Hurling scene.

I did see that there is a suggestion of him having a role in relation to advising coaches and having input into the underage coaching structure as well to see if he can add anything on that front, which seems to be a wise move imo.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Was spotted at club games in Dublin last weekend so it seems he's keen to get stuck in on that front asap.

I'd imagine that some of his selectors will be lads who are well stuck into the Dublin Hurling scene.

I did see that there is a suggestion of him having a role in relation to advising coaches and having input into the underage coaching structure as well to see if he can add anything on that front, which seems to be a wise move imo.

Really? That's good, so. I wonder was he at the quarter-finals, the same match as Donal Óg... could Donal be in his back room team?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Donal Og? 2 keepers in management?

Doubt it.

Donal Og said in his newpaper column last week, that he was not in the running for the Dublin job. I presume that goes for being part of back room teams too.

Never trust them KWAAAREESSSSSSSS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ger Cunningham success rate is awesome,runs a tight ship,hes so innovative, can play a short game or long game

Key to cunningham ,is he has qualites like  a Polar bear imo,Hes Ability to adapt to survive and endure the most extreme natural conditions.
    A polar bear doesnt have to hibernate in extreme winters,he has insulating fur to surive the bitter cold.He stands tall and faces it out.

Cunningham has an insulating cover imo made up of steely resolve,with sublime hurling intellingence that in the cold,cut throat ruthless gaa world he can survive amongst the Greats like cody and davy fitz.
    Cunningham evolves, he never stays static,always thrives for perfection.
    Like a polar bear he naturally adapts to hes surrondings,a real sense of how to survive.

Paul flynn gave a messormic,gloryfing interview regards him years ago.Hes so ahead of hes, time words cant quantify how great he is.I seen hes drills,top top class.
    Dublin have just won the lotto.Congratualtions lads.Im a huge fan of daly but cunningham is  much much better.
    Guraranteed like any great manager does he will surround himself with expierenced,competent,top class backroom team,it wont be a naive,inexpierenced set up of just ex great players with no proven coaching success,it will be well balanced.I cant wait to see 2015,he with dublin brings a real fresh energy to the season.
    He will relish the duels with cody,in particular,with wexford also improving,laois doing well,leinster at last getting competive and maybee galway if they get their house in order,a big big IF imo.

Another Beautfuil peace from Michael Moyinhan two years ago that wonderfully illustrates cunninghams genuis ability.A players man,but by no means a soft touch,steely resolve within,like a nut,difficult to crack,and can and will stand the tests of time.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/michael-moynihan/players-must-keep-testing-themselves-191317.html

I posted that post on the cork thread earlier

In truth Ye have got one hell of a manager,watched him train teams last ten years,all levels man is a genuis.
    I wont wish ye luck,its the last refuge for sucess,and when you have a guy as great as cunningham dublin hurling doesnt need luck.
    He wouldnt have went unless he saw potential real potential.
    Dont expect glory year one,ye will competive,build hes own team but 2016 thats yere time

I said it last year when i done  the op for dublin cork thread semi final,andy kettle was a good chairman.He deserves yere utmost respect and grattuide for pulling of this coup imo.Yere now a REAL force to be reckoned with.Kettle said after a poor year hed review dublin hurling,take steps if needed.He took a huge step forward here.

He if true i heard will bring seanie mcgrath ucc with him,one of the best strength and conditioning coaches and trainers  around.Has no ego but trains purely for the love of the game.
    Cork went on strike in 2008,he and jerry wallis trained them off their own back as players earned their respect.
    He will back hes players to a hilt once they earn it.Always looking at new ways to train teams, he isbig in to modern science in sport.
    Cunningham was hughely succesful in cork possesions game, 03 to 06 then coached ballygunner to county,and munster club final

Then 2012 he helped change cork to direct style limited rescources majior part cork getting to a final.He is not one dimenoshal,or a one trick pony.
    He has had huge success with ucc and developed successful feshers teams on to greater things.
    Reason why harnedy got on the cork team
    Has a real strength working with young lads,making them top top hurlers.He gets everyone to believe in themselves.
    No reason to fear,the next three years,sit back and enjoy the journey.
    He will relish the tactical battles with cody,out of 3 in coaching been on two winning teams in championship v them.
    He Wont fear cody but he will respect him.
    Bar sheedy whos on par with him,ye could not have imo got anyone better at this moment in time.
    In Both codes  ye have two wonderful managers now.

Dublin got a perfect draw,well capable of beating galway,as galway will be stale under cunningham,need reinventing imo.
    Ye should make a leinster final,winning it is irrelvant next year imo,as an all ireland quater final will give ye extra games that will benfit the development of the team.
    Realistic expectations in yesr one should be an all ireland semi final, and staying up in division one.
    One of yere main problems imo the last two years was a lack of speed on the field,and speed of thought both will greatly improve imo under cunningham.
    As a die hard cork man,dublin hurling is now my second team.

Great post. My weeuns love the small ball. Sounds like he is the man to lead the Dubs to the holy grail.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement