Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Unless there are some hidden diamonds out there, Cunningham doesn't have the talent to win an AI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Looking forward to next year now, thanks for that piece.

The fact he's already out watching club games means he's taking it seriously and doing his homework.
    Orizio wrote: »
    Unless there are some hidden diamonds out there, Cunningham doesn't have the talent to win an AI.

I don't think we're a million miles off, 3-4 players, some fresh ideas and a lot of hard work we can definitely compete at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Complete rubbish,typical dismissive one line statement imo orizo,same old same old.

With respect ,you i doubt are hardly a judge of what dublin have.
    Cunningham knows what talent is there,and have no doubt cusack was asked to scout a few players for him.Hes going  up there to win an all ireland, not a walsh cup and then sing molly malone.
    Cusack said many times dublin had talent to win one at senior level.

Its Rubbish the talent is not there.Its there,but must be developed.
    Dublin got to two minor all irelands in 2011,2012,pushed very good wexford close in the u21 leinster final.

Dublin Won two leinster u 21 in a row,2010,2011 pushed kilkenny all the way in 2009
    Won it again in 2007
    In 2000,have reguraly been getting to leinster finals at least.
    Dublin colleges won a leinster school in 2008, ,got to a final in 2006 also.

They have a lot more work to do in dublin schools but they have a base anyway.

There is young talent,just needs to be developed.
    Im sure people said the same attuide regards donegal football in 2010
    Key to any team is a manager,Dublin have a top class one,and ger blue has more of a solid base than when he took over coach of cork in 2012.
    Look what,fitzmaurice done in kerry.Of all the previous coaches the dublin players played under,
    With great respect,i doubt any compared to cunningham or mcgraths level.The players will develop to another level under them,thats what good coachong does for players.

With nolan,rushe,kelly,sutcliffe,keaney,cronim,schutte ,boland who imo is a better half back,he has a core to work off,cork didnt have that when he joined in 2012.
    The spine of the team is there.
    Dublim imo need one corner back ,possibly two midfielder,and three forwards.But bar midfield,ye have central aeras,kelly,rushe,sutcliffe,keaney ,superb hurlers there to do a job.Thats a huge start for Cunningham imo.

Cunningham not straight away but over times needs to phase out ryan dwyer,imo overrated mccrabbe,dotsy callaghan,hiney,,who are over 30 or close to it.
    Coccoran is around 30 and keaney but such is their reading of a game
    They are worth keeping for the three years.Brian murphy was proof of that with cork,hogan of kilkenny,Dodge of limerick ,corbett of tipp etc.Its a young mans game
    But some old lads depending on the position they play can still be of benfit to dublin imo.
    I wouldnt worry bout last year,i said it many times in the cork thread ,dublin would be stale,needed a new voice.
    Lots of work to do but defintely theres a base there,he doesnt have to build a foundation to get hes house in order in its already there,and ger blue can do it.A lot of potenial footballers,some will stay hurling now.Some will go football yes ,its inevitable  but it wont be the mass exodous as before.Cunningham makes them think hard bout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

yes i agree with the above post plenty of hurling still left in this Dublin side 2 or 3 new faces next year and they will have a fair crack at the all ireland,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Cunningham is the silver bullet by all accounts,will have to see what happens
    As daly knew it an up hill battle v football and let him wield the axe where are
    The replacements? Winters and the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

As regards Dublin clubs when you look at crokes for eg, apart from
    Corcoran of late what for a club of that enormity provide of home grown
    Candidates for the senior panel? Leave guns for hire aside,Boden contested
    Many a club SHC final with current/ex inter county hurlers from elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

TTM very angry and OTT reply as usual.

Reality is that the best GAA athletes in Dublin invariably go to football rather than hurling, and I'm not sure how Cunningham is going to change this around. Secondly, the age profile of the team currently is in its late 20s, which is high for an inter-county hurling team. A number of the players looked well past their prime last year. Dublin has little to no talent in terms of inside forwards. Club hurling in Dublin is quite weak - so where do the new faces come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Heard a little story tonight about Dermot Connolly from Vincents, that the reason why he didn't go hurling was that he didn't like Anthony Daly. Wonder could he be tempted now that Ger Cunningham is the boss? I've heard that Connolly was a better hurler than footballer. That I would like to see if true, a very gifted and powerful athlete, could be exactly what Dublin hurling needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Great weekend of football. Good wins for Plunketts and Vincents in the Senior Football Championship. First win in a long time for Garda against Lucan Sarsfields in the Intermediate B Championship. Great win for Castleknock against Fingallians in the Intermediate Championship Final.

Massive performance from our lads. Great credit in particular to our full back line. Our two corner backs are both 20 years of age and had fantastic games, keeping their forwards quiet throughout. Our full back, 21, man marked Paul Flynn and while he conceded a couple of scores, he kept their most dangerous man relatively quiet. Feel for Fingallians, third losing final in a row. It must be sickening for them.

Brilliant day for Castleknock, pretty good evening to follow it!

• Advertisement

Surprise package in Plunketts for the year, what price were they in Powers or Boyles before a ball was kicked? They took out Crokes and kickhams too, whats to say they wont take Vincets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Past30Now wrote: »
    Great weekend of football. Good wins for Plunketts and Vincents in the Senior Football Championship. First win in a long time for Garda against Lucan Sarsfields in the Intermediate B Championship. Great win for Castleknock against Fingallians in the Intermediate Championship Final.

Massive performance from our lads. Great credit in particular to our full back line. Our two corner backs are both 20 years of age and had fantastic games, keeping their forwards quiet throughout. Our full back, 21, man marked Paul Flynn and while he conceded a couple of scores, he kept their most dangerous man relatively quiet. Feel for Fingallians, third losing final in a row. It must be sickening for them.

Brilliant day for Castleknock, pretty good evening to follow it!

Congrats to all in Castleknock, great success story with a Junior and Inter Champ now in the space of 3 years. The future is bright, plenty of young talent in the current team and lots of representation in the county underage set up means that they could well leave a mark in the SFC in the coming years. The best Inter team this year without a doubt and achieved without the marquee man and the Corcorans for most of the year.

The game itself never looked like going anywhere other than Castleknocks way, once they they got back into it after Flynns early goal, even tho Fins got it back to a point with 10 mins or so to go they never really threatened after that. I thought Hannigan, Kinneavy and Neville were immense at the back, the pace of Hannigan is excellent - Tom Quinn is as good a CB out there with his reading of the game. I thought Shane Boland ran the show, he must have covered every blade, huge work rate, Dessie Carlos had a big influence too. Feel sorry for Fins as you say it's their 3rd year in a row falling at the final hurdle. Last year Davy Byrne got the better of a fully fit Flynn for Olafs win, this year it was evident that PF was operating at 75%, no change of pace and not as dynamic as we're used to. Hopefully the break will allow him get the ankle/groin looked at and come back rested and fully fit in the new year. Well done again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Was it Davy Byrne who had him last year? I thought it was Colin Doyle.

Was it Davy Byrne who had him last year? I thought it was Colin Doyle.

Yeah Oasis yer dead right it was Doyle ... prematch the talk was of Byrne/Flynn matchup ..

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah Oasis yer dead right it was Doyle ... prematch the talk was of Byrne/Flynn matchup ..

Hate to see you being corrected twice in the one page, but Eoin O'Broin started at cornerback instead of Derek Kinneavy. Kinneavy was carrying an injury, but almost replaced Hannigan after the black card.

Hate to see you being corrected twice in the one page, but Eoin O'Broin started at cornerback instead of Derek Kinneavy. Kinneavy was carrying an injury, but almost replaced Hannigan after the black card.

LOL.. get them in while you can ! .. I wouldn't know them to see tbh, just know the general line up from the few times I've seen them play ..I'd know Graham Hannigan alright as herself is related that side of the family :D .. that's 2 stiff jabs youse have given me .. but I'm still standing !!

• Advertisement

Some achievement by Castleknock, and doing great at both codes. Fair play. Huge catchment area too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Great achievement for Castleknock considering their a relatively new club too.Were they formed around 98/99?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Gael85 wrote: »
    Great achievement for Castleknock considering their a relatively new club too.Were they formed around 98/99?

emmetlego wrote: »
    Some achievement by Castleknock, and doing great at both codes. Fair play. Huge catchment area too.

This was discussed amongst ourselves on Sunday. As a local we don't consider the catchment area as huge, because up to relatively recently, St Brigids had the whole of the area to themselves. Now there are six clubs (Brigids, Castleknock, Peregrines, Erin Go Bragh, Tyrellstown and Westmanstown Gaels) relatively close to one another.

Then you look at Parnell Park, and within five minutes you have any number of huge clubs (Vincents, Parnells, Na Fianna, O'Tooles, Chiarans, Whitehall, Clontarf, Raheny, Scoil) and you begin to appreciate the size of our catchment area.

This was discussed amongst ourselves on Sunday. As a local we don't consider the catchment area as huge, because up to relatively recently, St Brigids had the whole of the area to themselves. Now there are six clubs (Brigids, Castleknock, Peregrines, Erin Go Bragh, Tyrellstown and Westmanstown Gaels) relatively close to one another.

Then you look at Parnell Park, and within five minutes you have any number of huge clubs (Vincents, Parnells, Na Fianna, O'Tooles, Chiarans, Whitehall, Clontarf, Raheny, Scoil) and you begin to appreciate the size of our catchment area.
    And you compare the age profile of those areas, mostly older people while Castleknock would be youngish families, just perfect for Castleknock and fair play to them capitalising on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

My own club played Castleknock in the Leinster JFC a few years back and they were very impressive in winning (albeit we were without a fair few of our first team). Both teams' colours were blue and yellow so it was decided to play in Meath and Dublin jerseys.

I know sweet FA about the Dublin IFC but I couldn't see them staying Intermediate for long. If my club had a decent management team we may have gotten a rematch this season in the Leinster IFC.

Parnells catchment area also extends to Laois, Wexford, Mayo and up to Armagh:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

In truth Ye have got one hell of a manager,watched him train teams last ten years,all levels man is a genuis.

He has had huge success with ucc and developed successful feshers teams on to greater things.
    Reason why harnedy got on the cork team
    Has a real strength working with young lads,making them top top hurlers.He gets everyone to believe in themselves.As a die hard cork man,dublin hurling is now my second team.

This is crucial in my opinion. Iv heard it said by different lads that we over coach players in Dublin and having watched a good few games this year Im inclined to agree.

Some coachs are fixated with tactics from a young age instead of developing to play more openly more often and I have felt this has held players back.

Orizio wrote: »
    The talent is there ok but again it comes back to picking players with natural ability and developing that ability instead of picking big men who are robatic in the way they play.

It would be great if he did have an input with some development squads but I dont know how coachs/managers who have worked with these squads will welcome him in. This could be a problem but its where I feel we would benefit most. Give the young lads a self belief and I think we could well get to an All-Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Happy for James McCarthy winning an all star. Not the most spectacular year but he's been unlucky other years. Funnily enough he might have played better last season but competition at HB was much stiffer so he couldn't fit into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Happy for James McCarthy winning an all star. Not the most spectacular year but he's been unlucky other years. Funnily enough he might have played better last season but competition at HB was much stiffer so he couldn't fit into the team.

I was amazed he missed out last year, think he's been one of the more under appreciated players of the last couple of years. Good to see him get the nod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I wouldn`t begrudge him the All Star, but imo, lucky to get the nod over Donegal`s Mc Glynn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Tight game this evening. Crokes had the more hurling in them but really the way game went in the second half they should have been beaten.

Sutcliffes contribution was eye catching but for what its worth the Judes full back (and the men outside him really) had a smashing game.

Ref was atrocious. Apparently you have to stand 20 metres away from the free taker now yet at throw in, 10 bodies are allowed within a couple of metres of the ref.:confused: Awfully inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

is final been televised tonight? or any where we able to view it online?

Well done Vincents, put a few bob on them to win the all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Only a point in it in the end. As a Plunketts man, i'm gutted. Really thought it was our year. 3 county final defeats now for these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hard luck Ed. It must be gutting for you. Given all the scalps ye have racked up, I really thought this was your year too. The game was there for the taking too, seeing as Vincents main men had fairly quiet nights, by their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hard luck Ed. It must be gutting for you.

Think thats the opportunity missed now, although i thought that in the past too. It was a great achievement to get this far. Gutted for the Brogans and Nesty. They deserve one.

Very hard to follow a game through updates on the web! Me nerves!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Kept Connolly to a point and still lost. Just shows how good a team Vinnie's have.

Have too feel for Plunketts, i know a few of those boys. 3 county finals in the last few years, hard to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I seem this posted elsewhere.

Dublin sfc top scorers

Bernard Brogan 4-17
    Mossy Quinn 4-13

What total did the likes of Connolly,Rock etc score in this years county championship?

Beating Crokes and Chelsea Kickhams in the process, only to fall to Vins, who played Eamon Fennell even though he was in Liverpool last weekend on the rip! Surprised he wasn't dropped. Feel very sorry for Olly Ps, hard to take. Chin up lads, great game, my weuns loved it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Anyone get the official attendance tonight? Walked in at 7.45 and was shocked, savage crowd, haven't seen the golf course end packed in a long long time.

Decent game, better team won in the end, but the big finish kept all us neutrals happy. Thought Vins half forward (no. 12 I think) had a belter of a game, Gill was super too.

Plunketts fought hard but I think they just isolated the inside men too much, even in the last 5 they were firing balls into Bernard when he had 3 or 4 defenders there.

Gavin Burke I think was 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Full house. What's that10k?

12k i heard before, was there for a dub v mayo floodlit game when my boys were weuns and they told me this night, so thats a reliable source!

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Beating Crokes and Chelsea Kickhams in the process, only to fall to Vins, who played Eamon Fennell even though he was in Liverpool last weekend on the rip! Surprised he wasn't dropped. Feel very sorry for Olly Ps, hard to take. Chin up lads, great game, my weuns loved it too.

I dare ya to say that to Phily McMahon's face. :P

PP was absolutely jammers. Never seen it like that in ages. It was ridiculously warm as well, seeing as it is nearly November. The atmosphere was strangely flat though.

He's a thug. Not a hard man. There's a difference! I knew his dad from years back, cut from the same cloth. Vins folk wont have much time for him either, and neitherwill my adopted club.

Ah, he's just misunderstood. :P

Anyway, Vincents are in no position to be looking down their noses at anyone. Despite all their silverware, they have a few misunderstood souls of their own.

Ah, he's just misunderstood. :P

Anyway, Vincents are in no position to be looking down their noses at anyone. Despite all their silverware, they have a few misunderstood souls of their own.

No club is angelic in anyway, just dislike this man in many ways!

I agree about Vins, shure even Connolly has been a bold dog at times!

I agree that he is no angel, far from it. But a lot of people are often surprised to hear that he was sent off for the very first time, in a Dublin league game this past Spring. Prior to that, he had never been sent off, or received two yellows in any Dublin game.

There are several current players with far worse disciplinary records than him, yet they never seem to come in for the same kind of flak that he does. I've often wondered if he played for a club that didn't have the word Ballymun in its title, would he be judged so harshly. I'm not having a go at you, just wondering about people in general.

I agree that he is no angel, far from it. But a lot of people are often surprised to hear that he was sent off for the very first time, in a Dublin league game this past Spring. Prior to that, he had never been sent off, or received two yellows in any Dublin games.

There are several current players with far, worse disciplinary records than him, yet they never seem to come in for the same kind of flak that he does. I've often wondered if he played for a club that didn't have the word Ballymun in its title, would he be judged so harshly. I'm not having a go at you, just wondering about people in general.
    Great post. I actually agree, to a point. He's still a thug in my opinion. No matter wat club hes from! I do think our neighbours get too much stick fer their players, but this fella deserves it. just a thug full stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Thought it was a poor enough game myself. Huge amount of misplaced passes and poor options taken, especially in the first half. Both sides being keen to stop the other playing probably had something to do with that though.

Plunketts only having three scorers while Vincents had 8 different scorers says it all. Dorney and Trainor showed really well for the ball i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've often wondered if he played for a club that didn't have the word Ballymun in its title, would he be judged so harshly. I'm not having a go at you, just wondering about people in general.

They sooner they change their name to airport kickhams the better :pac:

Well Bank Holiday Monday is the way to go for the SFC final, massive crowd and I'd hazard a fair few neutrals using their PP (seemed to be a big Maurs crowd where I was sitting) .. I remember maybe 10 years or so ago they switched the final to the BH with a similar big crowd.

The game itself as others have said went flat fairly quickly, there was an air of inevitability once Vins got their nose ahead. It was frustrating from a neutrals pov that OP/ER never really went for broke in the 2nd half - their style of play isn't designed to chase the game. You'd have to feel sorry for BB in splendid isolation with 3-4 Vins lads around him trying to work off the big sog of a ball up the pitch no support within 30 yards of him. It seemed to be a ploy of OPER to withdraw their HF line in the hope that Vins would push further up the field, but they held their discipline which is easy when you're coasting the game.

Both teams seemed to target the marquee players on either side and shackled them very effectively which allowed the likes of Burke and Dorney to get a lot of possession roving in the spaces. I like the look of Burke, have seen him play both 10 & 12 - will be interested to see how he runs with the U21's before exposing him to the senior set up.

I thought the game was littered with poor decisions both on and off the field, lots of poor passing and the wide count was poor from both, some easy scores missed. For our Cavan brethern I thought O'Mara's kickouts were shocking at times, particularly when you look at the focus most IC teams put on the accuracy of the kickouts. He had a big target in Dunleavy but failed consistently to find him with at least 3 going straight over the sideline.

I feel sorry for OP, and the Brogans in particular it just isn't meant to be. The team has some good miles on the clock now and I'd doubt they'll get another crack at it - it was an exceptional achievement to get as far as they did imo, as they wouldn't have been in the top4 prior to the championship.

Vins move on to Portlaoise on the 9th, I just had the impression their heads were already there halfway thru the 2nd half. A similar performance and they'll get beaten down there, it'll be their biggest test since Ballymun last year.

Ifs, buts and maybes OPER could've snatched a draw last night, but going into the Leinster campaign you feel that little bit more confident in the pedigree of Vins representing Dublin.

Congrats also to Maurs a slippery start but great value for the win

............... I've often wondered if he played for a club that didn't have the word Ballymun in its title, would he be judged so harshly. I'm not having a go at you, just wondering about people in general.

I was born and bred in Ballymun (the posh part where Bono lived :D), I played for them before any of the current infrastructure was there on the Corpo pitches in Johnstown Park and all over the county as the years went by. Ask any player current or past about the level of prejudice they experienced on the pitch in a Ballymun jersey. The GAA promote the pride of your local club, it was others who tried to strip that away from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I was born and bred in Ballymun (the posh part where Bono lived :D), I played for them before any of the current infrastructure was there on the Corpo pitches in Johnstown Park and all over the county as the years went by. Ask any player current or past about the level of prejudice they experienced on the pitch in a Ballymun jersey. The GAA promote the pride of your local club, it was others who tried to strip that away from us.

Could not have said it better myself DD.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement