Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Not seeing the tickets on tickets.ie anywhere, can anyone link me to page to buy tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

BKWDR wrote: »
    Not seeing the tickets on tickets.ie anywhere, can anyone link me to page to buy tickets?

Tickets here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I still wont be voting for him or them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

did ger brennan come out and support the no vote in the marriage referendum? no way would i vote for him or fianna fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

did ger brennan come out and support the no vote in the marriage referendum? no way would i vote for him or fianna fail

He did, I voted yes myself but wouldn't hold him voting no against him. The whole thing was a no brainer really anyway IMHO.

Looking forward to a good game too DK. Ah really good game would do wonders for both sides.

Stoner wrote: »
    He did, I voted yes myself but wouldn't hold him voting no against him. The whole thing was a no brainer really anyway IMHO.

Looking forward to a good game too DK. Ah really good game would do wonders for both sides.

My sentiments exactly ... last year was a complete write off for Leinster - but anything similar to the 2013 Leinster final would do for me - I think in the rush elsewhere to downplay the competition people forget how good a performance Meath put in that day - I remember Bray & Carroll having great goal chances 1st half and possibly Wallace in the 2nd if any of those had've gone in Dublin would've been extended well past Mannions goal in the last 10 mins. Looking forward to all 3 games.

P.S .. it would be nice to think that the whole ground will get involved in the minutes applause for the 2 Harris brothers in the 16th minute of the game - I'm not huge on sentimentality but personally think is an appropriate gesture from the GAA community as a whole

Ill be honest dublin are the one side i really fear our lads facing. any other team i expect kildare to give a good account of themselves but dublin are another animal altogether. Kildare did play very well v laois in second half but with all respect to laois they are no dublin or kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The 4 goals and change we put past you twice in 2013 fell to a 1-22 to 1-12 in the league last year. We've not seen each other in quite some time, I hope you put us to the sword. It'll be good for Kildare football, good for Dublin and good for Leinster.

• Advertisement

The 4 goals and change we put past you twice in 2013 fell to a 1-22 to 1-12 in the league last year. We've not seen each other in quite some time, I hope you put us to the sword. It'll be good for Kildare football, good for Dublin and good for Leinster.

Ah here now TV !! .. any more of that altruistic sh!te and I'll ban ya off the forum :D .. I'm more along the lines of a close game for 60 mins and then pull away to a 4 point win with no debatable decisions and the ref havin a sparkler of a game .. is that too much to ask ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Ah here now TV !! .. any more of that altruistic sh!te and I'll ban ya off the forum :D .. I'm more along the lines of a close game for 60 mins and then pull away to a 4 point win with no debatable decisions and the ref havin a sparkler of a game .. is that too much to ask ? ;)

And I'm the dreamer? :pac:

The true blue in me wants to eviscerate every opposition. I'll take the 4-16 again :D However, even though the aul nerves aren't up to much when games go to the wire there is value to be had by Kildare taking to almost to the 70. I also believe there is value to be had in a Dublin loss, as much as that'll kill me. At lthe very least there's way more value in those outcomes for both teams and for Leinster than a drubbing. I want to learn about the Dublin who'll fight when they're in danger of getting rolled over and I want to learn about them now, not in August. Is that too much to ask? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

Really the only teams I can see winning Sam this year are the Dubs or Kerry.
    I don't think their is much threat from Ulster
    Maybe Mayo or Roscommon out of Connacht might do something, but their not beating Dublin
    Cork again good but not on the level of the big two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Soyokakano wrote: »
    Maybe Mayo or Roscommon out of Connacht might do something, but their not beating Dublin

Definitely unfair to rule Donegal out. I would be surprised if it was outside of Dublin, Kerry, Donegal and Mayo (to a lesser extent). It is still early days so hard to judge other teams.

I also believe there is value to be had in a Dublin loss, as much as that'll kill me.
    The run in the qualifiers in 2010 was the making of this team IMHO. That and the league that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

The run in the qualifiers in 2010 was the making of this team IMHO. That and the league that year.

Agreed, we were knocked back by Meath, the first time in years we failed to win in Leinster. It knocked our confidence and we had to build it back up bit by bit. Were poor enough against Tipp and Armagh but the wins gave us belief and then we beat Tyrone which was a bit of a hoodoo buried.

Hopefully the Donegal defeat has forced this team to remember they need to concentrate for every minute of every game. They'll be the better football team in pretty much any match, they just need to be careful to win that battle that takes place in the head.

• Advertisement

would love to see a good tight game. our games seem to be very well played always open flowing football in the past lets hope it stays that way and blanket defences stay away from leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Dublin currently have a spine of Byrne, Small, Fenton, Kilkenny and Rock.

If it read O'Carroll, O'Sullivan, McCauley, Kilkenny and O'Gara, I would be much more confident.

Apart from O'Gara will that not just happen anyway? Although I see Fenton getting a good shot this year. Him Bastic and MDMA as the midfield and sub. With O'Sullivan remaining in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Apart from O'Gara will that not just happen anyway? Although I see Fenton getting a good shot this year. Him Bastic and MDMA as the midfield and sub. With O'Sullivan remaining in defence.

Saw bastic walking around town with his foot in a cast :confused:

Bambi wrote: »

Went over on his ankle playing with TSS - no worries regarding his fitness from his perspective (fingers crossed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I get the feeling you don't watch much football

dog_pig wrote: »
    I get the feeling you don't watch much football

He certainly avoids Ulster football it would seem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

He certainly avoids Ulster football it would seem!

Who'd blame him :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

I think the 4 provincial winners will be

Dublin, Monaghan, Kerry, Roscommon

I don't think the roscommon lads are anywhere near the condition of the Mayo squad . Regardless of what my Mayo friends tell me! Decent guys but need to play at a certain level for longer I think, not this year IMHO .

I'd be surprised if Monaghan claimed Ulster and even if they did I expect Donegal to still go further overall in the championship.

Dublin and Kerry are the safest bets for provincial wins IMHO.

Cork are not at the races IMHO from a team I considered to be unbeatable four years ago I now rate Mayo, Monaghan Dublin, Donegal, Kerry a bit ahead of them.
    I think Meath, Cavan, Tyrone and roscommon would ask serious questions of them too. They are sitting there and getting a rating of a top team but I don't see it the management look light on inspiration, they have three really good forwards, but IMHO O'Neil and hurley can be man marked out of a game by the top teams (mainly hurley) . They have a pretty rooted midfield too, bringing retired lads back in, lads that were right to retire. I guess that's how things go. They should have put AIs back to back in 2010&2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I know its 3 matches this week but isn't 30 euro a little steep?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=239792

Great idea for Sunday. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Anybody able to tell me if Hill 16 tickets are on general sale in ticket office? Left the Parnell Passes at home this morning - really should just stick them in my wallet - and only stands available on tickets.ie. I try to avoid Ticketbastard wherever possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Collie D wrote: »
    Anybody able to tell me if Hill 16 tickets are on general sale in ticket office? Left the Parnell Passes at home this morning - really should just stick them in my wallet - and only stands available on tickets.ie. I try to avoid Ticketbastard wherever possible
    They should be.

I got a Hill ticket yesterday in Super Valu on Aston Quay from Tickets.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Billy Mays wrote: »
    They should be.

I got a Hill ticket yesterday in Super Valu on Aston Quay from Tickets.ie

Just tried Centra. None available. Chhers though, will chance my arm with the walk up to Dorset Street. Just not sure if they sell without a pass

• Advertisement

A few surprises if they line out as posted

5d4e927e716e7f31e6cc018d21a14f1e.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

A few surprises if they line out as posted

5d4e927e716e7f31e6cc018d21a14f1e.png

Kevin McManamon will switch with Dairmuid Connolly I'd imagine. Sticking with the last day debutants with the experience to be called upon if needed!

Would be great to see Cian O'Sullivan just left in the half back line, although that is an interesting midfield, don't think I've seen that partnership before.
    Bastic must be injured.
    Is Rory O'C injured too?

I wouldn't fancy the team tbh unless it's a building exercise. No McCarthy either. Not sure that Small, Byrne or Daly are the best options although that's a strong forward line.
    TBH my preferred half back line would be completely different. I'd have
    McCarty, O'Sullivan, Devereux/McCaffery, McCaffery would be a sub. But there is enough speed in the three lads and a bit more bite too.

I'm glad that Cooper is not being deployed in the half back line. I'd also have liked to see N Devereux get more playing time this year. He's a starter IMHO but would need more game time. Small did very well so far this year. I can't really fault him. I guess he's going to do the usual stuff. Play the guys he played during the league and gradually as they start to struggle in games he'll bring in the more experienced players. He certainly gives the lads a chance anyway. It's a decent way to deal with players.

Delighted to see Fenton get a starting position.

However later on I could see him moving into the half forwards, overall rock could miss out in the mix up. But Fenton Connelly Flynn would give serious options for kickouts, with MDMA and bastic in midfield. The only issue after that would be the rotating midfielder. I guess we my still not have moved passed Cian in the mix there.

If you were to place any importance on interviews given the players are under no illusions, no one walks back into the team based on reputation. I'd like to think these are the lads pulling it out in training.

Certainly i always view young lads coming in as a huge plus anyway. Just hope Fenton, Byrne and Small lay down a marker.

I think they come back in because they are better, based on that bastic must not be 100% he put a huge shift in during the league to secure his championship place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Would never be said but maybe they are happy to give a few bodies some decent championship time safe in the knowledge that the front 6 can outscore the opposition. That said Id be shocked if thats the starting 15.

salmocab wrote:
    Would never be said but maybe they are happy to give a few bodies some decent championship time safe in the knowledge that the front 6 can outscore the opposition. That said Id be shocked if thats the starting 15.

But is there not some sanction or something about that now. I think that fines etc will be put in place. I think it's something like if there are more than two changes etc, or else the guys have to be injured or have a decent reason for not starting.

One thing is for sure that they won't all start in those positions. Kilkenny will move out.

I think Rock has been showing a hint of promise under the highball lately. I think he might be profiting from O'Gara being injured. We have not seen his long accurate kicking much recently (pity) and he is clearly not offering the ball winning options at half forward that others do. His best offer and most needed by this team might actually be in the square.

Good performance. Quick points.

KK's points were all brilliant.

McCaffrey is first choice half back for me now such has been his application all year.

COS is wasted covering space. He can be far more influential if he's allowed attack a man and/or a ball. Put another player in that role.

KMac starts so many of our attacks with his movement into space. Largely unheralded work but absolutely vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Who got man of the match? Kilkenny impressedmeme endlessly today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Justice4Adolf

corny wrote: »
    COS is wasted covering space. He can be far more influential if he's allowed attack a man and/or a ball. Put another player in that role.

He reads the game well. And he's very fast. We've plenty of quality in attack and it's good to strengthen our defense from last year.

decent performance today thought they stuck at it, which must be hard when the games over early and the opposition start acting the maggot. I must have missed the rule coming in that says you can only hand out yellow cards in pairs, one to each team.

salmocab wrote: »
    decent performance today thought they stuck at it, which must be hard when the games over early and the opposition start acting the maggot. I must have missed the rule coming in that says you can only hand out yellow cards in pairs, one to each team.

Yellows to Connolly and Kilkenny in particular were a joke. It's pure cop out refereeing and it actually became a bit of a shambles today, luckily the game was over and it won't mean much in the long run.

Yellows to Connolly and Kilkenny in particular were a joke. It's pure cop out refereeing and it actually became a bit of a shambles today, luckily the game was over and it won't mean much in the long run.

I thought Connolly especially did well to hold his temper.

salmocab wrote: »
    I thought Connolly especially did well to hold his temper.

Yeah he was close to losing the cool I think but managed to restrain himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Lot of talk about Dublin and money. Obviously one area is coaches I presume Dublin has an enormous amount of coaches compared to other counties?

But where else is there advantages? I presume there is quite a few players employed as coaches.
    I once heard that Dublin players are provided with meals for the week. This is some advantage if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

My uncles third cousin once saw a Dublin player getting on a bus with a pram... it wouldn't fit so he left it there .... Just gets another free one from the GAA HQ :cool:
    closeline wrote: »
    Lot of talk about Dublin and money. Obviously one area is coaches I presume Dublin has an enormous amount of coaches compared to other counties?

But where else is there advantages? I presume there is quite a few players employed as coaches.
    I once heard that Dublin players are provided with meals for the week. This is some advantage if true.

kyote00 wrote: »
    My uncles third cousin once saw a Dublin player getting on a bus with a pram... it wouldn't fit so he left it there .... Just gets another free one from the GAA HQ :cool:

I call bullsh*t on that one. Dublin players wouldn't be caught dead on the peasant transport. The County Board provide a full time driver I believe.

Lot of talk about Dublin and money. Obviously one area is coaches I presume Dublin has an enormous amount of coaches compared to other counties?...............

Not the most up to date figure granted - but we had 1359 juvenile teams under the auspices of Bord na nOg and 494 adult teams - so there's a requirement for over 1,800 coaches - I'd imagine some of them would perform a dual role in hurling & football - while others may coach Saturday & Sunday teams, not including mentors and other volunteers - if most clubs adopt our approach 90% of these people will have taken at least a level 1 foundation course - thats some serious twine invested by the clubs themselves in coaching
    I call bullsh*t on that one. Dublin players wouldn't be caught dead on the peasant transport. The County Board provide a full time driver I believe.

Any of the lads I've met drive "the best made cars in the world" ;)

Bambi wrote: »
    Went over on his ankle playing with TSS - no worries regarding his fitness from his perspective (fingers crossed)
    I think they come back in because they are better, based on that bastic must not be 100% he put a huge shift in during the league to secure his championship place

I saw him coming out the back of the Hogan yesterday - I'd have to say he was nowhere near fit and was walking with a very discernible limp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sure they set philly mcmahon up a business delivering the food and all :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement