Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Wouldn't be jumping to the defence of Cunningham at all. We were seriously outmanoeuvred in the first 20-25 minutes. Limerick used their spare man at the back to dominate the game. We got 2 points (one from play) when they should have put the game out of sight. When we went man to man up front, around the time Dotsy came on i think, we were much more effective. Point is, it was an obvious change but against better teams it would have been too late. Change was painfully slow in the Galway replay too btw.

Pleased for Dublin though and not just for the obvious. I think its important for the group that they won a close one. Standard wasn't great but there was a greater bite and intensity to Dublin at least. We're the poorest side left in the championship but confidence is a great thing. Hopefully we can pull together and improve the performance next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Side note. Anyone else pick up on how much Daly wanted Dublin to win that game today from the co comm position. Legend.

I thought so too, and Daly is probably being groomed for Limk job. Says a lot about the respect he has for Dublin hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

corny wrote: »
    Wouldn't be jumping to the defence of Cunningham at all. We were seriously outmanoeuvred in the first 20-25 minutes. Limerick used their spare man at the back to dominate the game. We got 2 points (one from play) when they should have put the game out of sight. When we went man to man up front, around the time Dotsy came on i think, we were much more effective. Point is, it was an obvious change but against better teams it would have been too late. Change was painfully slow in the Galway replay too btw.

Pleased for Dublin though and not just for the obvious. I think its important for the group that they won a close one. Standard wasn't great but there was a greater bite and intensity to Dublin at least. We're the poorest side left in the championship but confidence is a great thing. Hopefully we can pull together and improve the performance next day.
    Great post but cunningjham done well year one

Judge him year two as he needs radically change core this team next year

Rightwing wrote: »
    I thought so too, and Daly is probably being groomed for Limk job. Says a lot about the respect he has for Dublin hurling.

I'd say limerick must think what might of been in they could had cunningjham
    They done u turn on him last year when he had the job yet now he knocks them out of the championship

Course o grady was forced out and sure he's vindicated now in limerick didn't want change ways new style and go what failed last forty years and we'll tonight the chicken came home to roost in the hurling world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

They done u turn on him last year when he had the job yet now he knocks them out of the championship

Course o grady was forced out and sure he's vindicated now in limerick didn't want change ways new style and go what failed last forty years and we'll tonight the chicken came home to roost in the hurling world

No.

We blew it, and no point in blaming the manager now. Ryan is an amateur in every sense of the word and will probably be sacked but I've respect for him in that he wears his heart on his sleeve, and he is a gentleman. He tried his best and we should respect him for that.

I wish Dublin hurlers well and good luck in the next round, I don't know much about football, but their footballers don't need luck, probably the greatest football team to have ever played the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TTM, he's laying no foundation at the moment, there is no need to keep crediting everything good about today to him. I watched the game after on TV and the two interviews with David OCallagan and man of the match Paul Ryan. Neither mentioned the management team David said they did for themselves they thought about not training together next week and went out and got stuck in. Paul said something similar. I had thought that would be the case and said as much earlier.

I disucssd this with you some time ago when we were talking about the cork footballers getting in a non cork manager, I said that whenever that happens the guys form the county that manager is from take huge credit for anything good that happens, and if it doesn't work out they state that you can't make a purse from a sows ear. (Like your ref to an old squad)

I've nothing aginst Cunningham he seems very genuine, but tbh you've taken up that model postion as outlined above. Thing is you thanked the post on the footballers when I made it.

Your first line pointed at poor play but bold management decisions got them out of a hole. Paul Ryan scored 12 points today he's been around for a long time , he scored them . O'Callaghan did well for his goal against a back line that played very well up to that he was playing in a position he's been familiar with off and on for over ten years with Dublin, but up to that the McCarthy and Hickey had our forward line in the bag.

There was not really anything bold about how that team lined out.

We don't have many all stars in Dublin hurling. He switched two of them , I wouldnt mind if he maybe he tried keaney back beside Rushe or Rushe up with keaney, but he pulls an all Star fullback out of a position to cover a dual all star center back who was pulled out up to the forwards, where our one, if not our best forward went back to the halfbacks.

I've read and understand his reasons for it.
    I wouldn't mind if we had a great new number 3, 6, 10 and had extra capacity that could cope with maybe giving them a go and moving someone on trail with a new player coming in to cover, but switching your best defender and your best forward.

We don't have enough on the panel for that type of movement, Kilkenny and to a degree Tip can try that because they have layers of talent, we don't. Being an all star hurler in Dublin is a bloody big deal, I remember in the 1990's when Brian McMahon won our first one, It was a big deal .
    McCrabe won one about 6 years ago, that was our second I think. Four years ago Maguire and rushe picked up our third and fourth. 2013 Peter Kelly got our fifth and Danny Sutcliffe our sixth and Rushe got his second and our seventh

So with respect to foundation if I'm correct with my count we have won seven all stars accross six players, I accept if my count is wrong.

At the start of the season five of those players and six of those seven all stars were available to this management team.
    That is a foundation.

Against Galway in the first game only four played and only two in the postions they won the all stars in, Rushe has two all stars and was out of position. Kelly played at number three alright but had played 6 up to that to facilitate Rushe moving to 11.

Once again maybe my maths needs correction but of all the all stars in the history of Dublin hurling this management team started with 85% of them available. Against Galway in the first game less than 30% played in position.

Like prouddub said, I'm not saying he's not a great coach, maybe he'd do a lot better with more in the squad, but we have yet to see if he's right for Dublin.

I know a bit about why some of the lads left the panel , I won't post it here but it wouldn't be great reading.

And for the record I don't have a dub in mind that I'd have in there, that's not the reason I'm saying this, you won't see a negative post form me about Daly.

But Dalys Dublin would have hammered that limerick team today. The limerick lads know they massively under performed today and we've played better with a far better spread of scores over the past few years. I know some of the lads are older but moving them around wont make them younger.

And certainly moving them back to their preferred positions is not what I'd call bold. All he did was fix a mess he created imho it has not brought us forward.

We won't win an all star this year. I think we'll be eaten alive in the next game. Carton is a big loss, in the right position he's worth a couple of points in big games and can be a goal threat, but he's no full back, and shouldnt need to be when you have a fit Peter Kelly, but he is no number 6, but shouldnt need to be when you have Liam Rushe but he's up in the forwards, it's so radical it's pointless too many things changed to really analyze it.

I know I'm ranting again but if a Dublin guy did that people would say he was out his debth.

Finally, nice guy, the right guy for the right team, but not the right man just because of where he's from, and defending him on that basis of where he is from and thinking he'll build a foundation for Dublin hurling on that basis is wrong imho.

Best of luck to him. I'm no great fan of some of our options in that regard but it's not good at the moment but it could be better and I'm not convinced that means we are in good hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Level of bitterness towards Dublin's win on here is hilarious. Pretty obvious a lot wanted Dublin to lose so they could sow it in to GC. Pathetic! The last poster mentions Michael Carton as " can be a goal threat". If that's the level of debate ye can forget about it.

Level of bitterness towards Dublin's win on here is hilarious. Pretty obvious a lot wanted Dublin to lose so they could sow it in to GC. Pathetic! The last poster mentions Michael Carton as " can be a goal threat". If that's the level of debate ye can forget about it.

Absolutely they don't like cunningjham and be fair he is too good for them if that's the attuide

Daly was hardly a God I will name many hammering Dublin had under him and average cork team cunningjham coach beat daly Dublin all ireland semi final

Ye got outstanding proven manager
    Enjoy him and he's time with Dublin
    Daly Dublin were far from great yes odd big days but lot turbulence also to be fair now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Good game for us the way Westmeath set up, no team will go toe to toe so we may aswell get used to that, good practice, albeit against a poor team.

Everyone seems to think that Dublin struggle against the blanket, of course we do, every team does !!!
    Its very hard to play against that and always will be. Patience, taking the right option, and taking your chances are vital. We missed an awful lot of scores today.

With that said, teams that play that way will find it very hard to beat us and will need both luck and Dublin not taking chances when they come, ie Donegal last year (tactical naivety not included).

MacAuley and Flynn were tripe today. You'll forgive Flynn as he's still one of the best in the country, but MacAuley's form is worrying and seems intent on getting into as many scraps as possible.
    Dean Rock again not offering a lot.

Connolly just sublime - best in the country by a long way atm, different gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Looking at the fixtures for the 1/4 finals they four on Saturday 1st August and 2 on the following week.

I take it it be two Saturday and Sunday each week?

Trying to figure out where Dublin fit in here what date there possibly playing on.

Is anything confirmed yet or is it all yet to be decided fully?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Good game for us the way Westmeath set up, no team will go toe to toe so we may aswell get used to that, good practice, albeit against a poor team.

Everyone seems to think that Dublin struggle against the blanket, of course we do, every team does !!!
    Its very hard to play against that and always will be. Patience, taking the right option, and taking your chances are vital. We missed an awful lot of scores today.

With that said, teams that play that way will find it very hard to beat us and will need both luck and Dublin not taking chances when they come, ie Donegal last year (tactical naivety not included).

With respect Slattsy you shouldn't be taking the likes of Donegal, Kerry and Mayo so lightly. Kerry are capable of playing football against us and winning. They'll relish the challenge truth be told. Donegal are also capable of defending resolutely and still putting up a score. We'll need every bit as much luck as they will.

Dublin's new defensive set up hasn't been tested yet. Marking 1 and 2 Westmeath lads with numerous spare men back is one thing. Tracking 5 and 6 Donegal runners at pace is quite another. Not being pessimistic but we won't be be able to tell whether or not Dublin are defensively more sound until after they're challenged. That hasn't happened yet.

McCaffrey and Connolly again the pick of the bunch today. Connollys ability to shoot and pass with such accuracy off either foot was spectacular. Bit worried about Flynn. Not the same verve to him this year.

I was bamboozled keeping track of Cian O' Sullivan. Spare man one minute, marking Heslin the next, back to spare man, mark someone else,...... Seemed to be method to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm not for one instant saying we're unbeatable, every team is on any given day, but i do believe that if any team wants to go toe to toe, we'll win. I dont know if Kerry/Mayo will, its not really in their blood, but we know Donegal wont.

I suppose looking at what we conceded in the league would be a decent pointer of our new defensive approach, and it was pretty good. Im not gonna bother using Leinster as a guide for obvious reasons.

Re O'Sullivan, i've said it on several occasions, a real unsung hero and one of the first names on the paper for me.

What you make of MDMA today as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Absolutely they don't like cunningjham and be fair he is too good for them if that's the attuide

Daly was hardly a God I will name many hammering Dublin had under him and average cork team cunningjham coach beat daly Dublin all ireland semi final

Ye got outstanding proven manager
    Enjoy him and he's time with Dublin
    Daly Dublin were far from great yes odd big days but lot turbulence also to be fair now

That's complete and utter nonsense. Take off your red tinted glasses for a minute. We couldn't care less about who he is, or where he is from, any more we cared about where Anthony Daly was from. What we care about and what we judge our managers on, is what is happening on the pitch, the sense of unity off it & the results. We are aren't going to offer up blind unquestioning loyalty to him just because you tell us to, or because he had he a few good days with Cork.

Right now, we are all over the place & the only things that has kept us still in the competition is a couple of handy draws....we lost a big lead to Cork in the league, we suffered one of our worst ever defeats to Galway, we played very, very poorly for large periods against both Laois and Limerick, one our best players (Sutcliffe) has regressed at the rate of knots, one of our other best players (Rushe) is being played out of position, one of our most reliable stalwarts (Carton) walked away from the panel days before our biggest game of the year, there are rumours of discord within the panel.....they are the kind of things we are going to judge our manager on. Snobbery, or thinking he isn't good enough for us, doesn't come into it. So leave of telling us our own business, thanks very much.

I'm not for one instant saying we're unbeatable, every team is om any given day, but i do believe that if any team wants to go toe to toe, we'll win. I dont know if Kerry/Mayo will, its not really in their blood, but we know Donegal wont.

I suppose looking at what we conceded in the league would be a decent pointer of our new defensive approach, and it was pretty good. Im not gonna bother using Leinster as a guide for obvious reasons.

Re O'Sullivan, i've said it on several occasions, a real unsung hero and one of the first names on the paper for me.

Wouldn't be too perturbed tbh. He obviously had himself a bad day but he has a history of coming good in the later stages of the championship. Much like Connolly and BB.

Looking at the fixtures for the 1/4 finals they four on Saturday 1st August and 2 on the following week.

I take it it be two Saturday and Sunday each week?

Trying to figure out where Dublin fit in here what date there possibly playing on.

Is anything confirmed yet or is it all yet to be decided fully?

Our quarter final is on the first weekend in August. This is the GAA Master fixture list. Scroll down to August.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

The quarter finals featuring the winners of Leinster and Munster, are on the first weekend of August - with the specific day and time to be confirmed.

The quarterfinals featuring the winners of Connaught and Ulster, are on Saturday August 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Our quarter final is on the first weekend in August. This is the GAA Master fixture list. Scroll down to August.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

The quarter finals featuring the winners of Leinster and Munster, are on the first weekend of August - with the specific day and time to be confirmed.

The quarterfinals featuring the winners of Connaught and Ulster, are on the second weekend of August - with the specific day and time to be confirmed.

Thanks ! I was looking at this after the match to try and figure it out. Its just the fact i need to sort it in work give them notice etc.

I wonder when the actual confirmed dates will be announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I'd be a little bit more concerned than MDM just having an off day. He has spoken of being 100% fit and fully energised for the year - thought it was sorely lacking today. I can forgive the no look hand passes, but his distinct lack of awareness of the oncoming runner was very poor as was his tracking back, he started the match with a bandage on his knee which was disposed of @ HT. I'd like to think it was a niggle that was preventing his usual dynamic play.

Flynn had a bad day with the boot but he applied himself in every other facet of the game don't think I'd fault him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'm not for one instant saying we're unbeatable, every team is on any given day, but i do believe that if any team wants to go toe to toe, we'll win. I dont know if Kerry/Mayo will, its not really in their blood, but we know Donegal wont.

Hoping we won't try to go toe to toe with you guys irrespective of the merits of the league game v Dublin this spring ...Then again I'm not sure if it's in the Mayo psyche to do anything else.Nothing convinces me at this stage that we have learned from the lessons of the last 4 years or that in this year's preparations thus far that we anything planned in terms of a sweeper in front of the full back line/blanket defence of sorts.

Having said all that we're capable of beating anybody on our day(hopefully even All Ireland final day) even going toe to toe with them.But it's going to require 4 such days starting with Sligo.The annual one big game will not suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Hats off to Westmeath firstly.Great first half performance only for the short balls dropped to Cluxton it could have been a different game.

Very worried about MDMA guys. Hope your right and he peaks nearer the end of the champo!

I think that was one of the worst games I've ever seen Flynner play for us but i'm sure he'll bounce back.

Alan needs to start for Kevin from here on in. Felt that way last game and even stronger this game. Kevin is alot better off the bench as well.

Worth the price of admission alone seeing Dermo play ball! I'd say its between himself and Jack for MOTM.

I'd be worried about my starting jersey too, I were Kev Mc. Alan Brogan is really showing him up. Does Alan have the legs for 70 minutes though? I'd love to see a bigger role for Paddy Andrews over all. He's such a great target man & he is so unselfish. He won some lovely dirty ball out on the wing today, that you can't underestimate the value of, now that O'Gara is lost to us for the season.

• Advertisement

Was Cooper just a tactical replacement on foot of the yellow or did I miss an injury ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Was Cooper just a tactical replacement on foot of the yellow or did I miss an injury ?

I reckoned it was tactical to avoid him picking up another yellow. He seemed to have the makings of his man and didn't appear to be struggling.

Kev's starting jersey is under threat, there are better options out there I feel - Andrews and Alan in particular. He mightn't want the super-sub title but that's where he's most potent; against a tiring team he'll skin them all with a burst and get on goal. Connolly was sublime to watch today, at times it looked like he was toying with Westmeath - such a beautiful footballer. McCaffrey was really good and I agree that MDMA is a concern. We're into the quarters though, it's the business end from here on out. Win or lose I'm looking forward to it.

What I'm not looking forward to is Waterford in the hurling quarter. Yesterday we were truly awful for long stretches of the game and decent opposition, even a better Limerick team, would have annihilated us. The change of pace from our match to the Clare/Cork match was staggering. Then I sat watching the Munster final today and saw more of that pace and I'm struggling to see how we'll make it through. Carton didn't see eye to eye with Ger and I doubt he's the only one, still there are 15 players on the pitch and no manager so he can't be to blame for everything

Your missing the point. Never said he was not a good manager. It's you pushing anyhing good about Dublin hurling being down to him I have an issue with.
    I was letting you know that the foundations were in place and progress had been made before he came on board over the past ten years.

So popping in here with patronising comments about how we are in good hands because we have Cunningham onboard are my issue, you've made plenty like that.

How on earth do you know he's building a foundation for Dublin hurling?

I genuinely wish him well, but there is no need to over sell him. I'm not saying change him, it's your comments I'm challenging.

This is the Dublin GAA thread, not the Dublin and Cork thread. Do you know why certain players have left the Dublin panel or are you simply guessing, are you close to the hurling scene in Dublin at all? Regardless of how well you know Cunningham?
    There are many issues with Dublin hurling , most are not Cunninghams fault . But all the good things are not his making either. I take your point that we needed a new manager, it was time.

For a county with little to show wrt silverware in the hurling cabinet winning a league and a Leinster championship were massive achievements.

My point is the clubs are doing the work and improvements have been made. It's had nothing to do with Cunningham, so stop trying to claim it please.

Dublins win was largely down to limerick being poor and the lads pulling together, so unless Cunningham poisoned the limerick players cornflakes I dont know what bold decissons you think he made yesterday other than moving players back to the positions they were playing in three years ago.

Once again and this might get me in hot water with the mods, I dont have a issue with Cunningham, it's your arrogant position wrt inflating the impact he has had, attributing all positive things to him and claiming he's responsible for the hard work carried out by others. All this while holding the card that you can say he hasn't much to work with when things go wrong.

Spot on Stoner !

Slattsy wrote:
    MacAuley and Flynn were tripe today. You'll forgive Flynn as he's still one of the best in the country, but MacAuley's form is worrying and seems intent on getting into as many scraps as possible. Dean Rock again not offering a lot.

I thought Fenton played well, distributed the ball, defended and showed for the ball throughout. Looked at the game on the TV afterwards and I have to say that it seemed a better game when watching it live than on TV.

We miss O'Gara, Rock didn't really show well for the ball considering his size. The long range kicking was poor, but some of the kick passing was good, there was more low balls kicked into the forwards today than usual.

Thought McCarthy was very good. Others had a poor day alright and it won't be good enough later on in the year.

Thought we handled their attacks well enough. O'Sullivan and McCarthy were not letting anyone in behind on the line

I still think Cooper needs to work on his temperament , I think being booked and getting his name taken later caused the substitution. That said I'm not sure the yellow was his making today, saw it on the TV, but I think he's developing a reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I have to say one of the most disappointing things Cunningham has done all year is to concede he was wrong to play Rushe at 11 and 14 and move him back to 6. To me it shows a weakness and lack of a spine. I loved that change, I thought Carton at 3, Kelly at 6 and Keaney at 7 was a good foundation for us. I'd have preferred him to experiment with swapping those 3 around including Crummey. Crummey was a great find for him too and Barret had some good games early on in the year and again on Saturday. They are both young backs and if there is anything we need its a strong back line.

I think he was 100% right to play Rushe at 14, we never had a goal threat with Daly he saw that and wanted to rectify it. I thought it was working but needed more time. Especially with Dillon playing off him. If we could get him playing well in big games and not just in the Walsh cup that would add hugely to our goal threat.

I was sitting right behind Cunningham on Saturday and his body language made it seem as if he hadn't a clue what to do in the first half when we were completely outplayed. He looked the same against Galway, absolutely clueless. I've said it numerous times but he should have come out after the Galway game and held his hands up and say he got it wrong and the players did well with the poor situation he led them into. He didn't which to me shows a lack of a spine again.
    Cunningjham never got sacked and I guarantee you you asked limerick who want manager tonight they be sorry refused chance last year when they had it give him the job as he better players limerick work with but still Dublin beat limerick
    Really? Have you ever spoken to somebody from Limerick? None of the Limerick fans near me on Saturday wanted Cunningham as their manager. They all want Daly! They shared the exact same sentiments about Cunningham as has been posted here.

Cunningham maybe a God in Cork but from what I've seen he's unable to think on his feet and is weak. You seriously need to take off your rose tinted glasses and look at things as they are. Dublin hurling has issues yes which I and others have previously mentioned numerous times but they've been compounded by Cunningham not helped.
    Seriously? You have to resort to comments like that? You can't defend Cunningham anyway else other than to say he's too good for us? I think that says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 25 players in 3 Championship game.Appearances+Subs for 2015 Championship Game

Brogan, Bernard 3
    Cluxton, Stephen 3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 3
    Cooper, Jonny 3
    Fenton, Brian 3
    Flynn, Paul 3
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 3
    McCaffrey, Jack 3
    McMahon, Philip 3
    McManamon, Kevin 3
    Rock, Dean 3

Macauley, Michael Darragh 2+1
    Small, John 2+1

Andrews, Paddy 0+3
    Brogan, Alan 0+3
    Fitzsimons, Michael 0+3

O’Carroll, Rory 2
    O’Sullivan, Cian 2

Daly, Darren 1+1
    Bastick, Denis 1+1

McCarthy, James 1+1
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1
    Brady, Tomas 0+2
    Lowndes, Eric 0+1
    O’Conghaile, Emmett 0+1

Dublin have scored 11-56 and conceded 0-30 in 3 Championship games. Scorers 2015 Championship Games

Brogan, Bernard 4-10
    Rock, Dean 2-12
    Connolly, Diarmuid 3-6
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-10

Brogan, Alan 0-4
    Flynn, Paul 1-3
    McMahon, Philip 0-3

McCaffrey, Jack 1-0
    McManamon, Kevin 0-2
    Andrews, Paddy 0-1
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    Fenton, Brian 0-1
    Lowndes, Eric 0-1

Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1
    McCarthy, James 0-1

Dublin have used 35 players in 9 League games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 League Games

Cooper, Jonny 9
    McManamon, Kevin 9
    Rock, Dean 9
    McCaffrey, Jack 8+1
    Brady, Tomas 7+2
    Bastic, Denis 8
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 6+2
    McMahon, Philip 6+2
    O'Carroll, Rory 7
    Brogan, Bernard 5+2
    Small, John 5+2
    Costello, Cormac 3+4
    Fenton, Brian 3+4
    Cluxton, Stephen 6 (4 Clean Sheets. Conceded 3 Goals)
    Culligan, Eoin 6
    McCarthy, James 3+3
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 2+4
    Connolly, Diarmuid 5
    Flynn, Paul 4+1
    Daly, Darren 3+2
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3+2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 3+2
    Andrews, Paddy 1+4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 2+2
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 1+3
    Currie, Sean 3 (2 Clean Sheets. Conceded 1 Goal)
    Carthy, Shane 2+1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2+1
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1+2
    Devereux, Nicky 1+2
    Lowndes, Eric 1+2
    Reddin, Ciaran 0+2
    Deegan, Michael 0+1
    McHugh, Conor 0+1
    Ryan, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 8-131 and conceded 4-101 in 9 League games. Scorers 2015 League Games

Rock, Dean 1-52
    Brogan, Bernard 2-8
    McCaffrey, Jack 1-7
    Brady, Tomas 0-8
    McManamon, Kevin 0-8
    Connolly, Diarmuid 1-5
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-7
    Fenton, Brian 1-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    McMahon, Philip 0-5
    Costello, Cormac 1-2
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 0-4
    Bastic, Denis 1-1
    Andrews, Paddy 0-3
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 0-2
    Carthy, Shane 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1
    Ryan, Philip 0-1

Dublin have used 34 players in 5 O'Byrne Cup games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 O'Byrne Cup

Brady, Tomas 5
    Culligan, Eoin 5
    Devereux, Nicky 5
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 5
    Rock, Dean 5
    Small, John 5
    Daly, Darren 5
    Fitzsimons, Michael 4+1
    Bastick, Denis 4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 4
    Hannigan, Graham 3+1
    Ryan, Philip 2+2
    Carthy, Shane 1+3
    Scully, Niall 0+4
    Costello, Cormac 3
    McManamon, Kevin 3
    Molloy, Lorcan 3 (1 Clean Sheet)
    Collins, Niall 2+1
    O'Carroll, Rory 2+1
    Cooper, Jonny 1+2
    Dawson, Harry 1+2
    Lowndes, Stuart 0+3
    Currie, Sean 2 (1 Clean Sheet)
    McCaffrey, Jack 1+1
    Dunleavy, Craig 1+1
    Deegan, Michael 0+2
    Kavanagh, Ian 0+2
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0+2
    O'Higgins, Paddy 0+2
    McCarrick, Alan 0+1
    McGowan, Ross 0+1
    McGuire, Conor 0+1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0+1
    McMahon, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 3-80 and conceded 3-43 in 5 O'Byrne Cup games. Scorers 2015 O'Byrne Cup Games

Rock, Dean 0-38
    O'Gara, Eoghan 2-7
    McManamon, Kevin 1-6
    Brady, Tomas 0-7
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-6
    Carthy, Shane 0-5
    Ryan, Philip 0-3
    Costello, Cormac 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-1
    Culligan, Eoin 0-1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0-1
    Scully, Niall 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I said since day 1 I don't think that Rock offers enough in open play and i still feel that way. I've always been a fan of Andrews.

I tend to agree about Paddy. He is a great link man & wins a good deal of dirty ball out on the wing, very important in the absence of O'Gara. He is very unselfish and always looks to give the ball to the man in the right position, even if it means someone else gets the glory & not him.

Plus, back when he was starting in 2013, he was generally good for 1-2 pts of his own per game. He shoots when he is in a good spot & isn't usually one of the guilty parties who is sending in Haily Marys from 50 yards out. He does a lot of the really important stuff that is vitally important, but won't ever get him the headlines or the man of the match awards.

I'd be happier if he had a more central role in our attack, as I feel that Kilkenny, Costello and Rock are still trying to find their feet. Paddy and Alan Brogan just seem to have that maturity level, team ethos and match day smarts that is vital in the big games. Then there is the ongoing fact that Kev Mc, just doesn't have the same mojo as a starter that he does when he comes off the bench.

Btw, does anyone have any percentage stats for what our free/45 conversation ratio was when Berno and Cluxton were taking them primarily, versus what they are for 2015 with only Rock taking them? It's something that I genuinely would like to know.

I can't say I'm overly confident in our forward line right now. I haven't got to watch as much football as usual this season but I feel Flynn and Connolly are still our 2 standout men. I wouldn't consider any of our inside forwards elite on the level of McManus, O'Donoghue etc. and Kilkenny is yet to blow me away. I'd give an arm and a leg for a peak Alan and/or Bernard in this team as I feel its what we're missing. Still confident we'll be there or thereabouts fwiw.

• Advertisement

It wasn't the perfect performance by no means and post match the RTE boys never missing the opportunity weren't short about highlighting Kerry or Donegal licking their chops at our defensive frailties :confused: .. whatever about Donegal asking serious questions of Dublin, I'd be convinced that Dublin would ask more of Kerry than they will of us .. defensive frailties ? .. tell that to the team that's conceded 14 goals in 9 competitive games this year ..

I thought there was a good vibe at the game yesterday - highlighted by the fact of Philly McMahon picking up one of the Westmeath guys off the ground - a great response from the Dubs to the Kildare minors on their lap of honour, a well deserved acknowledgement of Westmeaths efforts at the end.

Wag of the week was in response to Flynner skying a ball well wide .... "Jaysus Paul I'd reload there, that one's gone out of bounds"

I can't say I'm overly confident in our forward line right now. I haven't got to watch as much football as usual this season but I feel Flynn and Connolly are still our 2 standout men. I wouldn't consider any of our inside forwards elite on the level of McManus, O'Donoghue etc. and Kilkenny is yet to blow me away. I'd give an arm and a leg for a peak Alan and/or Bernard in this team as I feel its what we're missing. Still confident we'll be there or thereabouts fwiw.

These days, Bernard has 3 men dragging out of him, if he so much as looks at a ball. I think its unrealistic to expect productivity levels from 2010 out of him. But he never stopped running yesterday, he never stopped dragging his man out wide & he never stopped looking for the ball. Plus, with 4 goals in 3 games, his poaching instincts are as good as ever. I'd be far more worried about what will happen once he is gone, or he gets another niggley injury that results in another vein of bad form, than I would be what happened on Sunday.

I hear you, and I think BB is still very valuable, but all top forwards have 2-3 men on them. I wouldn't have Bernard as elite anymore based on the last 2-3 seasons. I love the guy, one of my favourites, but that's my opinion.

It's my opinion too, I'd love nothing more than to turn back the clock and have him at his 2010 levels. I just think it is unrealistic of us to expect them from him, given his age, his injuries and the wear and tear that have come from 5+ years of being double and triple marked.

But we have to make do with what we have. And for now, no one has come close to doing what he does in the full forward line. O'Gara is gone for the year. Costello and Mannion have yet to step up and make a valid long term claim on a starting jersey. They are definitely the future, but they aren't here now. Kev Mc's problems as a starter are well documented, as are Rocks lack of productivity from open play. Ciaran Kilkenny is a work in progress. Andrews is either injured or he isn't doing enough in training to merit a starting jersey again. So what else are we supposed to do? Who else are we supposed to play?

For all the talk of our unending of an unending conveyor belt of talent, we aren't Kerry. We haven't been able to rustle up a James O'Donoghue out of thin air, the way that they have done when Gooch's 30th birthday appeared on the horizon.

ProudDUB wrote:
    For all the talk of our unending of an unending conveyor belt of talent, we aren't Kerry. We haven't been able to rustle up a James O'Donoghue out of thin air, the way that they have done when Gooch's 30th birthday appeared on the horizon.

That's true, but Kilkenny is doing very well imo and only dropped one effort short on Sunday. Hes getting close to being a sure starter alongside Flynn and Connelly. In fact our half forward line picks its self now that A Brogan, Rock, Costello, Fenton haven't a hope of starting at 10,11 or 12 IMO if those lads are fit.

Kerry have their special players, but Jack McCaffery is looking like he might be special too, although he's is obviously a defender but hes showing up at the right time.
    This year lads are hopping off him, a bit like the physical improvement in McBrearty.

I know Rock lacks mobility, but I'd still bring him out slightly against the likes of Donegal as he has shown an ability to kick points over the blanket but not this season. I think he's an important squad player

Stoner wrote: »

I know Rock lacks mobility, but I'd still bring him out slightly against the likes of Donegal as he has shown an ability to kick points over the blanket but not this season. I think he's an important squad player

On that point, long range kicking needs to be a game plan against Donegal. We did it early in last years semi then abandoned it a bit when we went behind. Connolly, Flynn and Rock are all elite long range kickers.

On that point, long range kicking needs to be a game plan against Donegal. We did it early in last years semi then abandoned it a bit when we went behind. Connolly, Flynn and Rock are all elite long range kickers.

I agree, there is some mind games going on now that you can't kick points form distance for a sustained period of time. If you have the players then you can. It's one of those statements that people keep throwing out until they think it's true.
    Donegal throw it out a bit so people won't try it, just like some say you can't go toe to toe with the Dubs. I don't think either statement is true.

Flynn and MDMA always peak later on. Flynn is a master at it as was (is) Galvin.

I know I'm possibly contradicting myself a little. But I rewatched the again. MDMA did run into trouble a lot with the ball, going forward he was very frustrating. But he put some shift in. Some of the turnovers he worked were after some serious tracking back, two in particular were after relentless work. He certainly looks fit and 100% committed. I think he's ok. We can expect him to do well later on imo.

He certainly needs to stay back with Sherlock for extra classes on when to offload, but others could learn from his commitment and over all work ethic, I'd missed that from the live game on Sunday.
    He's still a first pick for me, part of the new team , his head is right, a very positive individual. The games last year and in 2013, when he'd come out at half time delighted to see Bastic coming on were great. He's been the engine of this team for me.

Interesting as soon as Bastic came in he took up Fentons roll, not MDMAs he took up the centre and tried some distribution. I don't ever really seen Fenton and Bastic as a partnership.

The comparison of our chungfellids to JOD is somewhat skewed. O'Donoghue is 25 years old and has been around the senior set up since 2010 - he'd served his time on the sideline in that brilliant Kerry team and is reaping the benefit of the watch, listen & learn.

In some ways our successes at U21 level have brought too much focus on the young lads being quickly elevated to the senior set up - I suppose the near enough instant impact of Jack Mc led to blind optimism that Costello, O'Conghaile, Mannion, David Byrne, Fenton etc would follow quickly behind. I think of the 2012 batch only Kevin O'Brien, Jack Mc & Kilkenny have really made the breakthrough...... I wonder whatever happened that other half forward .. emm Mark Scutte :cool:

Can someone give me the low down on Fenton? Age, club, style of play etc. I've missed a lot of football this season and know little about him.

On a related note, its great to see Cian at #6.

• Advertisement

He's a Raheny man, Whelans club. Was on the under 21 team .

My opinion

Did not look outstanding at under 21 but was solid imho.

He has played at number 12 but seems to be a number 8 now. He gets forward but his best work is in distribution and defensive tracking, shows for the ball a hell of a lot. He has a good eye for a pass. His distance point kicking needs work . I think he's a nautural midfielder and when he's played in the half forward line it's really as a third midfielder.
    He has a good block too and seemed completly unphased when he came on to the team and seemed to jumped a few players who were ahead of him in January.

Very much like Whelo starting as a half forward and (hopefully) converting to an exceptional midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Am I right in assuming we play Cork/Kerry or Kildare next.? Sorry if already posted.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dick Clerkin

Yep we play loser of Munster Final / Kildare in the QF August Bank Holiday weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Yep we play loser of Munster Final / Kildare in the QF August Bank Holiday weekend

Curious how you figured this out? I'm clearly missing something.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agreed. He may be a hero down in Cork, but it's different strokes for different folks. Today was a great day, but he has a way to go yet before he'll be considered a great manager for us. He still has questions to answer for the manner in which Carton left the team & the nature of the defeat to Galway. I'd question his man management skills too. Maybe we just don't realise how good we had it in that department with Anthony Daly, but its something you have to be very, very good at to be one of the managerial greats imo.

A lot of valid points regards cunningjham has to prove himself absoultey one hundred percent I agree and he's lot lots of work to do and I said this many times after it.

Just to clear up, I don't judge any manager cause he's a cork man many Cork men I critical off, I don't particularly like kerry or Kilkenny but I'm not as many know blinded by patriotic loyalties that cork can do no wrong, I will judge mainly on what I see before me results wise

I never proclaim cunningjham to be the main man in Dublin revolution and if it sounded that way my genuine apologies as I have praised many many people here in the work that has been done in Dublin hurling and no one man can take the credit
    Now before anyone jumps the gone and say ah he's just mellowed I done two years ago a cork Dublin all ireland semi final opening post for the game for the match thread, I'm sure people can look it up if they want
    I paid huge credit to the likes of Harrington and many Dublin volunteer helped Dublin become a force in hurling and I named many local men, and no one man is responsible

Back in January I had huge praise for the late Andy kettle (rip) for carrying on the great work in hurling and indeed football

What I meant by foundation of success is cunningjham has got a quater final in he's ist year with a league semi final by introducing new players and he's trying to go away from daly defensive system and build a pooession game and bring pace in to the team
    The win and the introduction of young player gives him and Dublin, Dublin I mean he's new team he's trying to build a foundation to work off as major changes is needed in daly built a very good team and done well but as the stats show a league and leinster in six years is good yes but not great great manager as mentioned here

I'm not be picky but great manager win all Ireland
    Daly is extremely great man management and builds solid teams but I would not say he's great and he's won things yes but he's also lost

People are fast to say cunningjham failed ucc this year fair enough but daly won two kerry county with Kilmolry but lost one
    He's won few Walsh cup and yes leinster and a league title and with Kilmill in clare won an under sixteen c championship and minor c championship
    He's done well limerick minor this year in solid team but lost munster minor but tippeary were always favourite for that

With clare he got to three all ireland semi final
    Yes he'll take a team to a point but I rate him but I'm unconvincing he is manager to take a team to an all ireland final or win it

Remember he's ist year he lost to limerick in a quarter final to limerick with new team with o grady by four points
    The point was made daly Dublin would hammered limerick Saturday
    Would they do?
    He couldn't do much in he's ist year but cunningjham beat limerick on the go for four years in thurles that doesn't suit Dublin on past history

The second year of daly kk absoultey hammered yes hammered now let's be honest if we're going to say and fair enough Galway hammered Dublin in a replay in cunningjham second championship game let's least say being all fair and equal kk in year two hammered Dublin but then the real real defeat with greatest respect to Antrim was Antrim beating them

Daly got time did he or did he not
    Daly you see fair enough had to build Dublin from a low Base and nobody questions him

Now it's good people questions cunningjham after Galway as it shows the level of expectation in Dublin hurling as grown in they demand more
    But cunningjham is yes with a lot of experience players but imo lot have huge mileage and he's trying to build he's own team

Daly Dublin at their peak were beaten by an average cork with cunningjham as coach
    That tells me for all daly good skills Dublin still lacked something to go the extra step
    Cunningjham knows that too having coached a team to beat them
    He knows Dublin as they are won't win an all Ireland
    He is a winner in he wants to win an all Ireland
    He's yes I agreed played some lads out of position and got some calls wrong and badly wrong but he's trying to find new team

The key for me was Dublin unity to come back and get a win
    People say ah players done it for themselves
    But if they didn't imo it be blamed cunningjham
    The players belived in cunningjham imo as teams come back and win normally do
    It was admitted here he made changes at half time that changed the game

He's brought in the likes of plunkrtt and others
    When I said Dublin were in a good place I didn't mean it's all cunningjham what I'm meaning is they had a league semi and quarter final spot in year one
    He has something to build on in year two

I don't think ye will beat waterford as I think the core of this team while great servants some are past their best
    When daly came in he was working with a lot of lads from scratch so he build loyalty
    Any manager comes in and makes changes there's always a risk of turbulence and things have edgy start
    I'm not sure the exact nature of carton issue but what I based my views on is cunningjham has ucc where he had great success and Ballygunner and both cork team thirteen years ago and two years ago no player yes not one ever had a problem with he's man management or training
    Paul flynn gave an interview six years ago with Ballygunner saying he was brilliant management and coach

Cunningjham it's well known didn't see eye to eye with jbm in the Cusack leaving the panel and him and cunningjham had different ideas to play in jbm wanted old school freestyle hurling cunningjham wanted a short possession game
    However even allowing for that cunningjham never allowed it or did jbm affect their working relationships in cork

Cunningjham left cork only cause he was told he had the limerick job but then limerick changed their mind
    Cunningjham never got the cork senior job or under twenty one as politics are evident in cork hurling and cunningjham was always players man such cork ccb wouldn't give him the job
    Cusack gardiner o Connor deane cocronan etc never never once had a problem with cunningjham so with the greatest respect to Michael carton just cause he is the ist to i am not suddenly going to say it's Cunningham fault when he's record is brilliant over all
    One swallow never made a summer

This isn't just me having rose tainted glasses either, on news talk Denis Walsh the sunday times journalist gave a pod cast October the fourteenth I think last year saying clearly why he never got the cork job

As regards taking the advice of limerick fans at the match they want daly as manager and never wanted cunningjham with the greatest respect not all limerick fans are the best just of management in some thought tj Ryan last year would win them the all ireland after a moral victory to kk and not all want daly

Go to the limerick thread now currently and there is around four that don't want him as manager
    As I said before daly record is far from flawless far far from it
    Now yes the argument of debate could say fair enough he had to build a team but look how long he took

Cunningjham as coach got an average cork team with lot injuries and players left the panel with unlike Dublin no under age provincial success to a league final with jbm year one
    Yes kk hammered them
    But year one cork got to an all ireland semi final
    Year two all ireland final beating Dublin and kk

Cunningjham isn't fan of the direct style but he still coached the style for jbm effective and the short game with Cork to win all Ireland
    He brought in an proven skill coach from mayo football who got to two all ireland final and donie Buckley kerry coach with mayo and horan rate coughlan hugely

The difficulty i had was when I see the likes of humphrey Kellher criticism of cunningjham
    Kelliher be fair created a magnificent blue print for Dublin hurling and has huge part in the development squads etc and work behind the scenes and I said before deserves huge credit

But as a manager he was poor in loosing twelve games in a row and huge defeats to laois he was sacked so my point is its bit odd for him to question cunningjham record which is proven at intercounty senior twice and club and colleges
    Also at ucc he worked with players from clare tipp kk limerick cork you name it, big big name players
    Not one not one player ever had a problem with cunningjham management

In essence it's nothing to do with rose tainted glasses it's based on he's record
    I think of all the management options available he was the best man for the job and all my point is in year one he's done okay and doesn't deserve the critsim at the level it's at directed at he's management when daly was hardly hitting the ground running

Dublin hurling has been making huge improvement and a lot of individuals deserve credit for that

In regards the football congratulations on yere win
    I said it in the league Gavin was the new cody of football in just like Galway shock win years ago changes cody build new team Donegal changed Gavin

He deserves huge credit and I said it here many times for having the ball to say he was wrong v Donegal but he's changes the team since and to conceded just six points v westmeath shows true blanket even allowing for poor opposition

Dublin wont be as naive as last year

If cork loose we play Kildare who well beat but Cork have not a hope of beating Dublin if don't beat kerry

Gavin is ruthless like cody and Sunday showed while performance was off lot to work on just the ideal preparations for the all ireland quarter final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

TTM, I've done my best to hold my tongue but I can do it no more. There's no 'j' in Cunningham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming we play Cork/Kerry or Kildare next.? Sorry if already posted.?

I think we could play Fermanagh too if they beat Westmeath, can't play Westmeath again after playing them in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

EICVD wrote: »
    I think we could play Fermanagh too if they beat Westmeath, can't play Westmeath again after playing them in the final.

It's definitely the Munster loser if they beat Kildare.

Fair enough TTM. But you have to understand that people are going to react to your posts in the here and now. You post so much, so often & in so many threads, no one is going to remember everything that you say, or go back and do research on what you have posted about in the past.

Dublin hurling fans are well used to be being looked down & on being patronized by people from the traditional hurling counties. Or being told what to do and what to think for no other reason than they are from KK, Tipp or Cork, we are not, so we should automatically defer to their opinions & their way of doing things and approaching problems.

That is just not on, not when we are the ones that are actually going to the games, are seeing what is happening on the pitch with our own two eyes and hearing first hand, what is happening off it. We aren't relying on Cyril Farrell or Donal Og to tell us.

Add in the fact that we have vastly different sets of history and tradition, as well as players and personnel down thru the years, what works for one county, isn't necessarily going to work for us, all of the time. Yes, Cunningham deserves time and space to be his own man and do things his way. We don't expect or want him to be a clone of Anthony Daly, but that doesn't mean we aren't entitled to express an opinion on him & his decisions.

You are too, but when you fall into your old habit of expressing your opinions on posters themselves & not the points that they are making, that is where the problems occur. It gets peoples backs up.

I think he was trying him as a replacement for O'Gara due to his size . Once O'Gara got injured he moved from half forward line to full , it worked a bit but not on Sunday

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement