Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Gerlad

Stoner wrote: »
    I think he was trying him as a replacement for O'Gara due to his size . Once O'Gara got injured he moved from half forward line to full , it worked a bit but not on Sunday

You talking about Rock? He was never going to be a first choice option in the Dublin half forward line, only in full forward line. He is there for frees not for his ball winning ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dick Clerkin

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Curious how you figured this out? I'm clearly missing something.

GAA website under fixtures. Also features in Darragh O'Se's column today in the Irish Times, re the Kerry v Cork game this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

GAA website under fixtures. Also features in Darragh O'Se's column today in the Irish Times, re the Kerry v Cork game this weekend

Good luck on Sunday big man ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's definitely the Munster loser if they beat Kildare.

Don't think so?

Open draw with the only stipulation being we can't play Westmeath again. What reason would prevent us from playing Fermanagh if they beat Westmeath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Yes and it says Dublin will play a Round 4A winner? Nothing about Cork or Kerry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Do you think this game will be on Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So no Brennan this year. I think we'll see McHugh more next year. I think we could do with him.

So we have Mayo, Donegal and Cork on our side of the draw.

Kerry are in the final anyway I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. Agree. I was cheering for Donegal today. If we make it to September, I'd much prefer it if Donegal & Kerry faced off in the semi finals.

So if Cork won yesterday we would have Kerry on this side too.

Monaghan would have been made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

I'm not with you?

We can only play Cork, Kildare or Fermanagh in the QF... Provided we win our QF and Mayo win theirs we would play Mayo in the Semi.

Or am I missing something?

If Cork won yesterday, then we would have had both Kerry and Donegal on our side of the draw. It would have meant playing Kerry in the quarter finals, then the winner of Mayo/Donegal in the semi finals. That is a pretty tough road to hoe, just to get to an AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The winner of Monaghan v Tyrone won't lie down for Kerry. They'll have a lot of momentum on their side and will take a bit of beating.

Having gotten a better look at Kerry and Donegal over the last two weeks I'm full sure they won't have enough to beat Dublin. Mayo shouldn't either in truth.

Well yeah, on paper, no one ever has what it takes to beat us. It rarely work out that way for us in reality 'tho....:rolleyes:

With all due respect to Monaghan, Tyrone etc, the spot in the AI final is Kerrys to lose. I expect them to get there again. The road to Sam is littered with counties who had to give it their all on the way to the final & had nothing left in the tank for final itself, resulting in Kerry picking up yet another handy AI win. I'd rather that not happen to us this year, given how hard our side of the draw is.

I meant the side of the draw not who we play.

Ie Kerry only have to play one from that side of the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Sounds right.

We play Cork/Kildare next, then the winners of Mayo & Donegal/Galway.

Monaghan's win moves Donegal from Kerrys side of the draw to ours. I would dread playing Donegal in the semis(If we get there).

Would much rather have Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Despite the result, and we all know what a confidence boost winning Munster would have been for Cork, but I definitely would have rathered Kerry on our side truth be told come throw-in on Saturday. Moot now.

But jaysus, we would scythe through that Kerry backline all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I saw nothing over the weekend that would worry me as a Dublin supporter.

Slattsy wrote: »

As it may be.

But I like to see Kerry gone from the Championship at the earliest opportunity. Every game closer is a potential victory and another Sam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I did. Donegal's lack of plan B when they go behind and struggle against the blanket defence. Mayo and Kerry's defensive frailties. You can be sure Rory Gallagher and Eamonn Fitzmaurice will have ironed out those issues by the time they play the Dubs.

Everybody knew the strong points of Donegal, Mayo and Kerry beforehand but now they've all had a chance to see where they are weak and have time to improve things before we meet one of them.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I did. Donegal's lack of plan B when they go behind and struggle against the blanket defence. Mayo and Kerry's defensive frailties. You can be sure Rory Gallagher and Eamonn Fitzmaurice will have ironed out those issues by the time they play the Dubs.

Everybody knew the strong points of Donegal, Mayo and Kerry beforehand but now they've all had a chance to see where they are weak and have time to improve things before we meet one of them.

We can say that every year. Nothing happened this weekend that should worry Dublin at all. Mayo are by far the most likely to cause us trouble but even they conceded 2-11 to what was a poor poor team.

Admittedly it is Mayo so they will likely raise their game for us and spunk their load in the SF only to be walked over by Kerry in the Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Another soft All Ireland for Kerry, twas ever thus

Kavrocks wrote: »

I'm not sure they can tbh. Imo the issue that needs sorting for both teams is not tactical.... its the appetite for battle.

Kerry are defending champions and for my money they won't be able to match last years exploits. Against (Mayo twice) and Donegal last year i was blown away by the effort level as a whole. Its what it took to win but defending champions never (ok rarely) match that the following season. Might just be a small drop off but normally its telling.

For Donegal its obvious to see that feverish intensity that characterises their defending has been absent all season. Yesterday, bar McGlynn and the McHughs, the majority just didn't work hard enough. You can't wave a magic wand to sort this out. A hungry team who have no hang ups playing them (Mayo) will expose them.

Where does that leave Dublin? The manner of the defeat to Donegal last year hurt them. You can expect, even without the tactical changes they've made, a step up in intensity from last year. For me, all this points to one winner. Only idle conjecture of course.

Some amount of rubbish written in the papers today, the management must hate it when the players do interviews.

What players? Berno's AIG stuff? Pretty sure he (or someone else) has to do that kind of stuff for the sponsor. I thought he did a great job of playing things down. He knew he was going to get asked about, he knew what he wanted to say, he said it and he moved on. Job done.

• Advertisement

I try not to read the papers myself. The media build us up so much I get extremely cocky and arrogant, the hype just gets to me and I can't perform the simplest of tasks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Gerlad

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What players? Berno's AIG stuff? Pretty sure he (or someone else) has to do that kind of stuff for the sponsor. I thought he did a great job of playing things down. He knew he was going to get asked about, he knew what he wanted to say, he said it and he moved on. Job done.

Agreed - in the end Davy Byrne got a broken nose and is now back training so Berno is right to say the whole business has been blown out of proportion.

I meant the hurlers sorry, plenty left in the tank etc.

I meant the hurlers sorry, plenty left in the tank etc.

Yeah McCaffrey. Said the usual bland stuff mostly but i actually thought his comments about finally getting over the line in a big game were telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

All change again for Waterford

24d7250e1b69a65070d537fdef86957e.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

DoctaDee wrote: »
    All change again for Waterford
    I can't see them actually starting like that. There will be changes on the day.

Durkin unlucky to lose his place, thought he was good against Limerick.

Niall McMorrow being back is a big plus. McCaffrey and O' Dwyer are tireless but aren't near as tidy.

I agree he had a good league when he played, looked the most tidy option there, holds the position well and offers more structure. The team has a better balance to it when he's playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

So Fermanagh in the QF for the boys,I'm looking forward to watching them give them a 20 plus points hammering.

COYBIB.

Would have preferred Cork tbh. Dont know what happened them this evening but they'd certainly have given us more of a game than Fermanagh on the day, i reckon.

Great for Fermanagh to get Dublin in Croker though, its what they all dreamt about as children.

God no. Nothing enjoyable in watching one way traffic. Fermanagh were terrible today. Will it still be Mayo/Donegal/Galway in the semi?

Good question.

Yeah we play Connachts champions or whoever beats them..assuming we beat Fermanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

corny wrote: »
    God no. Nothing enjoyable in watching one way traffic. Fermanagh were terrible today. Will it still be Mayo/Donegal/Galway in the semi?

As far as I'm aware it'll be one the them in the SF. It's Leinster v Connacht this year as far as I,know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Yes, it is Leinster v Connacht and Munster v Ulster. That is still on the 3 year cycle as it has been for decades. Fermanagh v Dublin is a novel pairing. First time to play each other in the championship. Kerry and Kildare will be interesting too. Kerry would have preferred Fermanagh. They will probably still win, but Kildare with a bit of momentum behind them now, will give them a bit of a game.

• Advertisement

...........runs to bumps the Fermanagh thread (eh, there is one right? ) so that I can pretend to know what I'm talking about for the next week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Dublin minors to face Tipperary, anyone know code, football or hurling time date and venue?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Dublin minors to face Tipperary, anyone know code, football or hurling time date and venue?

It's the MHC semi final Sunday 16th Aug @ 1.30 in Croker

...........runs to bumps the Fermanagh thread (eh, there is one right? ) so that I can pretend to know what I'm talking about for the next week.....

Well I know where Brewster Park is.. got lost the far side of the river one Saturday evening in Enniskillen watching them against Mordor. We asked 2 lads who it turned out weren't GAA people :rolleyes:

What's Brewster Park? Is that the new HBO mini series, with yer man from Breaking Bad? :P

What's Brewster Park? Is that the new HBO mini series, with yer man from Breaking Bad? :P

LOL... We could do with getting relegated to div 2 and 3 if only to broaden our GAA horizons :P

The panel have a 3 day training camp either this week or next. I wonder if todays results will change the focus.

I saw yer post in the Kerry thread re the Gooch .. you might be nearer the truth than you think !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Well I know where Brewster Park is.. got lost the far side of the river one Saturday evening in Enniskillen watching them against Mordor.

There will be blue mordor in Croke Park, with Fermanagh being the victims. :) They'll bring a bit of a buzz to Croke Park, as it is a long time since they were there. The quarter finals in 2004 was the day Fermanagh beat Armagh and then the Tyrone fans that were laughing at that result had their team turned over by Mayo. Armagh had been 2002 champions and the two of them had been the finalists in 2003, when Tyrone won. So it was quite a shock to see both dumped out, making for a great atmosphere that day. I can't see Fermanagh providing a shock, but it should be a good day in Croke Park.

I just realised I don't know a single soul from Fermanagh!
    Who am I gonna rip the piss out of on the run up to the match?

Yeah I'd be of the same opinion. It has the looks of Monaghan last year in the quarters. I really hope Fermanagh do themselves justice on their own merit because there's very little complacency around the Dublin set up this year.

Peter Mcgrath is a very astute man, has a couple of AI's under his belt so he'll bring the right mentality to the game. He has spoken encouragingly about the fitness levels of the team and that'll be key to their workrate within their defensive system for the 70 odd minutes.

• Advertisement

I just realised I don't know a single soul from Fermanagh!
    Who am I gonna rip the piss out of on the run up to the match?

If you've a bit of Belleek pottery lying around you could sledge that ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement