Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Slattsy wrote: »
    I just realised I don't know a single soul from Fermanagh!
    Who am I gonna rip the piss out of on the run up to the match?

On the run up to the match you could take the piss out of Sean Quinn and all those factories in Fermanagh which he used to own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DoctaDee wrote: »
    LOL... We could do with getting relegated to div 2 and 3 if only to broaden our GAA horizons :P

The panel have a 3 day training camp either this week or next. I wonder if todays results will change the focus.

I saw yer post in the Kerry thread re the Gooch .. you might be nearer the truth than you think !

Oh I am totally all over a Div 3 road trip. If only to disprove that ridiculous notion that places like Liret, Lietr, Leitrom, Laytrom ...eh...Carlow actually exist ! ;)

I'm ok. I do actually know one person from Fermanagh. My 1st class teacher in primary school. I will have some 'splainin' to do as to why she is hearing from me after all these years, but standards must be maintained at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Are there many Fermanagh Boardsies, or to be more specific, many Fermanagh GAA Boardsies? Will the scent of a blue shirt drag them in here? Hopefully some will come in, if they are not around already. As people are intimating, Fermanagh is a county that you probably don't know many people from. I was with a few of the Fermanagh team while doing some charity work in 2007 in Malawi. A number of GAA players were on the trip. Nice lads. I was in Fermanagh recently, doing a day trip to Enniskillen while staying in Sligo for a few days. We drove through Leitrim to Enniskillen and then did a loop around by Lough Erne, coming back through Ballyshannon and Bundoran to Sligo. Nice part of the world if you are ever up there. OK, so you may not know anyone from Fermanagh, but now you know someone who has met people from there and has been there, so that's a start and more might happen in the next week. :) Anyway, getting late. I've a trip to Thurles ahead, so I better get some sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Just back. Really disappointed. Silly mistakes cost us the game. Gary Maguire should be told to never go short again.

Couldn't understand why O' Dwyer was moved in behind the sweepers and Keaney, who was decidedly average, brought out. Peter Kelly being brought on to wander around midfield was baffling too. I've been reticent when it comes to criticising Cunningham but it seems like he doesn't actually know the players he coaches.

Players tried hard though. Sutcliffe and O' Dwyer had good games. The backs battled hard but again the little mistakes cost us.

Fair play to Waterford. Deserved winners but felt the referee applied the rules differently for both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

corny wrote: »
    I've been reticent when it comes to criticising Cunningham but it seems like he doesn't actually know the players he coaches.
    I was in the minority when he moved Rushe into full forward. I thought it was a good decision and I've said it before. However, when he moved him back to centre half back it showed how weak as a manager he is. I don't want Dublin to be like the Galway of old chopping and changing managers very frequently but I'm not sure Cunningham has gotten one decision right all year, the players don't respond to him and he looks completely clueless and devoid of ideas on the sideline!

The prevailing opinion seems to be he should go from everybody I've talked to. It's unfortunate but I agree, he's done nothing this year for me to have any hope of Dublin improving next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Kavrocks wrote:
    The prevailing opinion seems to be he should go from everybody I've talked to. It's unfortunate but I agree, he's done nothing this year for me to have any hope of Dublin improving next year.

What's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Stoner wrote: »
    What's the alternative?

Don't think he should go. I'd be inclined to give him one or two yrs. I think he's ability to manage which he's shown to stay in top division and get this far. . So keep him , hope theirs some more new players coming. but likes of mccaffrey, Ryan,mc morrow, ocallaghan, Kelly, Rushe, cian, schutte, odwyer,Sutcliffe, boland, Maguire etc will probably stay and perform v well. It's not a disaster by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

corny wrote: »
    Just back. Really disappointed. Silly mistakes cost us the game. Gary Maguire should be told to never go short again.

Couldn't understand why O' Dwyer was moved in behind the sweepers and Keaney, who was decidedly average, brought out. Peter Kelly being brought on to wander around midfield was baffling too. I've been reticent when it comes to criticising Cunningham but it seems like he doesn't actually know the players he coaches.

Players tried hard though. Sutcliffe and O' Dwyer had good games. The backs battled hard but again the little mistakes cost us.

Fair play to Waterford. Deserved winners but felt the referee applied the rules differently for both sides.

Hard luck to Dublin, i felt as you said Waterford got the breaks today and also a few calls from the referee. Dotsy and Ryan O'Dwyer for me were Dublins pick. Keaney was absent and would have expected more.

I'm not sure if Dublin have come on since Cunnigham's arrival. I don't know much about the man but some strange positioning.

Lastly, Rush red card was warranted but equally didn't like to see gloating from our side. I hope we cut that out of our game.
    Best of luck to your minors.

What's the alternative?
    A new manager...

It's only Cunningham's first year, so I wouldn't be calling for him to go yet. A lot of what cost us yesterday were silly mistakes, first touches, bad passes, coughing up possession, bad shot selection, being to slow to act. So it was mostly things on the pitch, not just the management. Some of it was the kind of stuff that we saw in recent years, seeping back in again. Dublin can do better than they did yesterday. That period just after half time cost us. We had some good stuff, like Schutte's goal. We didn't get the breaks Waterford got. We went in as underdogs and that is how it panned out. We can sit back and contemplate for a while and then get going again. Everybody, players and management, need to look at themselves, but I don't think that management need to go. We still have our minors and there is other talent coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Would have preferred Cork tbh. Dont know what happened them this evening but they'd certainly have given us more of a game than Fermanagh on the day, i reckon.

Great for Fermanagh to get Dublin in Croker though, its what they all dreamt about as children.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    ...........runs to bumps the Fermanagh thread (eh, there is one right? ) so that I can pretend to know what I'm talking about for the next week.....
    I just realised I don't know a single soul from Fermanagh!
    Who am I gonna rip the piss out of on the run up to the match?

This is going to be the first time I've ever been to a Fermanagh game and I won't be supporting Fermanagh. Le sigh. The ancestors will be glowering down at me.

Last time seeing them in Croker was the Division 3 final against Armagh earlier this year and in hurling against Fingal (Before Dublin-Down) in the League last year. Awful days out both.

Will be a cracker of a day out though no matter what. Though I'll be still hanging after that Super Saturday the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Flukey wrote: »
    It's only Cunningham's first year, so I wouldn't be calling for him to go yet. A lot of what cost us yesterday were silly mistakes, first touches, bad passes, coughing up possession, bad shot selection, being to slow to act. So it was mostly things on the pitch, not just the management. Some of it was the kind of stuff that we saw in recent years, seeping back in again. Dublin can do better than they did yesterday. That period just after half time cost us. We had some good stuff, like Schutte's goal. We didn't get the breaks Waterford got. We went in as underdogs and that is how it panned out. We can sit back and contemplate for a while and then get going again. Everybody, players and management, need to look at themselves, but I don't think that management need to go. We still have our minors and there is other talent coming through.

I'm inclined to agree with leaving him where he is, but I'm just a supporter, and don't know what's going on inside the camp. Getting rid this quickly seems like a bad idea.

Some of our play was very good yesterday. Three or four of our scores were out of the top drawer. That being said some of our play was atrocious. Some of our puck outs, some of our passing, some of our shot selection and some of our decision making, both on the field and on the sideline were, in the words of the 13 year old beside me, "crap".

I've seen a fair amount of Division 2 hurling in Dublin this year, and I wouldn't be suggesting that there are tonnes of players just waiting for the chance of a call up. The lads who have served the county for the last number of years, will be the lads we are relying on next year and the year after. It will be very hard to make that jump to genuine all ireland contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

As far I'm concerned, and I don't for one moment pretend in a massive hurling fan, but he should certainly get another year.
    He's still only getting to know the players and get a look at what's available to him below to senior squad.

The winning margin yesterday flattered Waterford. It was a tighter game than that. And the Galway game aside they've been fairly consistent. However there doesn't seem to be many players coming through the ranks right now which is more of a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EnergyBlaster

As far I'm concerned, and I don't for one moment pretend in a massive hurling fan, but he should certainly get another year.
    He's still only getting to know the players and get a look at what's available to him below to senior squad.

The winning margin yesterday flattered Waterford. It was a tighter game than that. And the Galway game aside they've been fairly consistent. However there doesn't seem to be many players coming through the ranks right now which is more of a concern.

I'd agree, once he still has the dressing room I'd keep him there. It takes a while for a manager to get to know his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

This should give ye a laugh. A genuine referees report from an u16 game between Erins Isle and St. Marks, from 1993.

Found it on reddit.

rXdgQNc.jpg

DDC1990 wrote: »
    This should give ye a laugh. A genuine referees report from an u16 game between Erins Isle and St. Marks, from 1993.

Found it on reddit.

http://m.imgur.com/rXdgQNc
    Link doesn't work.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.

Edited the post there. Is it showing?

It's readable now.

Very detailed report by the ref. Probably not Isles greatest day.:D

Past30Now wrote: »
    It's readable now.

Very detailed report by the ref. Probably not Isles greatest day.:D

Ah shur they won.

Ah shur they won.

And that's all the record books show(except the refs report which has been reposted on Boards 22 years later)

• Advertisement

Any chance at all of the weekends game being a sell out?

Wont be sure i can go until Wednesday and dont want to buy tickets beforehand just in case.

I'd say it's likely but it depends on whether they open up the upper Davin and Hogan. Had a look on tickets.ie this morning and they couldn't sell me 2 tickets beside eachother, lucklily I didn't need them!

Wont be sure i can go until Wednesday and dont want to buy tickets beforehand just in case.

I don't think they will, I'm going to pop in anyway. Good value for anyone living in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Found it on reddit.

rXdgQNc.jpg

have you a link to it on reddit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I don't think they will, I'm going to pop in anyway. Good value for anyone living in Dublin.

I've decided to skip in on the Saturday matches also .. picked up 2 tickets in 307 yesterday (tickets.ie)

I get the feeling that the Kildare team is riding on a huge wave of goodwill from their supporters it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a big turnout from the Brady Bunch on Sunday ;)

When are you poping in?? Let me know how many are foating around. If it looks like a sell out i'll get some today if i have to.

Found it on reddit.

rXdgQNc.jpg

Great to see that Mick has put this incident behind him .. still reffing today. I gave him an easy time on the line a few weeks back - then again we were 10 points up and I do tend to be a bit more tactful than calling a ref a blind bollox to his face anyways :D

When are you poping in?? Let me know how many are foating around. If it looks like a sell out i'll get some today if i have to.

LOL I think I might have some of those tickets that business people get FOC that I keep giving out about!!

We have a box in the job, if there is spare capacity I can usually sneak in.

Ah sorry, thought you meant you were going to the ticket office at Croker!

• Advertisement

LOL I think I might have some of those tickets that business people get FOC that I keep giving out about!!

We have a box in the job, if there is spare capacity I can usually sneak in.

Easy sneak in when yer not out of breath doing the ramp or 10 flights of steps .. are you on first name terms with the lift operator :p

Got my ticket today in Dorset Street. Section 334. Some other PP holders like myself there and some general customers. Tuesday is a good day to go, before they get more of the general punters coming in from Wednesday onwards.

I am going on Saturday night too, also in 334. Could be two interesting games. Getting to the business end so it is good to see as many games as possible. Every team is potential opposition for us too. Tyrone could easily come through the Connaught quarter-final side of the draw and meet us in the semi-final and they could also come through the other side and meet us in the final. They are not the team they were a few years back, but if they gather a bit of momentum... anything could happen.

Donegal and Galway will be interesting too. If Galway had their shooting boots on, they could have beaten Kerry in their quarter final last year, but they hit a lot of wides. They could certainly put it up to Donegal, though there will be the contrast in styles of football. A good weekend to look forward to for a GAA fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Flukey wrote: »
    Got my ticket today in Dorset Street. Section 334. Some other PP holders like myself there and some general customers. Tuesday is a good day to go, before they get more of the general punters coming in from Wednesday onwards.

I am going on Saturday night too, also in 334. Could be two interesting games. Getting to the business end so it is good to see as many games as possible. Every team is potential opposition for us too. Tyrone could easily come through the Connaught quarter-final side of the draw and meet us in the semi-final and they could also come through the other side and meet us in the final. They are not the team they were a few years back, but if they gather a bit of momentum... anything could happen.

Donegal and Galway will be interesting too. If Galway had their shooting boots on, they could have beaten Kerry in their quarter final last year, but they hit a lot of wides. They could certainly put it up to Donegal, though there will be the contrast in styles of football. A good weekend to look forward to for a GAA fan.

Hoping to get a freebie for Saturday.:cool:

Just noticed, assuming all goes to form, the quarter final line up will look very similar to 2013. Monaghan V Tyrone and Donegal V Mayo were the fixtures then too. Hope Galway and Kildare mess it up though.

€10,000 fine for the fistycuffs before the Armagh challenge - that's money that was sorely needed for the underage and senior teams future dominance of everything .. looks like we'll have to get a bigger wedge of funding next year to make up the shortfall :D

ST tickets just landed. 306RR. That'll do. :)

• Advertisement

ST tickets just landed. 306RR. That'll do. :)

Oh you got the section with the heated seats and drinks dispenser !! :D .. great seats in fairness - haven't seen mine yet but I'm reliably informed we're in 305 (got 307 on Saturday from a straight pick from tickets.ie) which isn't bad

Oh you got the section with the heated seats and drinks dispenser !! :D .. great seats in fairness - haven't seen mine yet but I'm reliably informed we're in 305 (got 307 on Saturday from a straight pick from tickets.ie) which isn't bad

I'm in two minds about heading on Saturday. I mean, Tyrone will be in the QF, so there's no danger there in not getting to see them this summer.

I'm in two minds about heading on Saturday. I mean, Tyrone will be in the QF, so there's no danger there in not getting to see them this summer.

You may get to see them again, but they could lose on Saturday. Even if they win, you won't have seen them on Saturday night if you don't go. So you've only one chance to see them playing Sligo next Saturday. Even a replay would not be next Saturday. So seeing Tyrone playing in Croke Park next Saturday, along with Sligo, Donegal and Galway, is a once in a lifetime opportunity. :) I am going to take it.

If you don't go on Saturday, you'll see me there on Sunday. Look over towards 334 from 306. I'll be the guy in the Dublin shirt. :)

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any discussion of the Camogie coin toss debacle, or have I missed it? At least its been partially resolved.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any discussion of the Camogie coin toss debacle, or have I missed it? At least its been partially resolved.

There is discussion about it in the Camogie thread that is running at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Bernard Brogan is all over the papers today saying what a great team they are now (after beating westmeath) at beating defensive teams and all the super subs we have. Its just a matter of collecting the silverwear now lads, then off to Coppers:D oooh and Kerry for the Holidays.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Bernard Brogan is all over the papers today saying what a great team they are now (after beating westmeath) at beating defensive teams and all the super subs we have. Its just a matter of collecting the silverwear now lads, then off to Coppers:D oooh and Kerry for the Holidays.

As far as wind ups go, I give you 2/10 for artistic merit - mentioning Coppers is always good for a laugh. But sadly, you only get .05/10 for degree of technical difficulty, seeing as these are all old AIG interviews from last week, where he said pretty much feck all. Nice try though. :rolleyes:

As far as wind ups go, I give you 2/10 for artistic merit - mentioning Coppers is always good for a laugh. But sadly, you only get .05/10 for degree of technical difficulty, seeing as these are all old AIG interviews from last week, where he said pretty much feck all. Nice try though. :rolleyes:

A case of having a shot at goal, but missing the target. :) That's something that Bernard doesn't often do. :)

........ What the Vincents and the SOPER's and the BK's can expect to achieve in a given year, is night and day, compared to what the likes of St Maurs and Fingal Ravens can expect to achieve. The same would go for the overall calibre of their players. (With all due respect to the utterly lovely people in Rolestown and Rush. :D )

^^ quoted from the SFC thread but didn't want to clog it up :D

... don't forget during those dark days in the not too distant past those Fingal Raven lads were the ones with an AI Junior medal in their pocket :D - I think there was 6 or 7 involved in the panel Darren Daly, Colin Prenderville, Michael White, Noel(?)Tormey, Darren Kavanagh, ? Boland and possibly Warren Finnegan tho he may have been a Brigids player at the time.

Although my affiliations lie nearer to the airport - living in the boonies I try to take in a few Ravens games - they're competitive enough in the league... champo is a different child altogether

Hey, far be it from me to diss the good people of Rolestown, or their players. I have loads of cousins out there & they'd put manners on me right proper, if I did. There's many a platter of chicken and chips that I horsed into me gob in the Rolestown Inn. Still don't think I'll be seeing any of them in late October, in Parnell Park though.

You can't compare league to champo imo. League games are played all thru the year, even when the big fish are missing their big names. That kinda levels the playing field out for the little fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

^^ quoted from the SFC thread but didn't want to clog it up :D

... don't forget during those dark days in the not too distant past those Fingal Raven lads were the ones with an AI Junior medal in their pocket :D - I think there was 6 or 7 involved in the panel Darren Daly, Colin Prenderville, Michael White, Noel(?)Tormey, Darren Kavanagh, ? Boland and possibly Warren Finnegan tho he may have been a Brigids player at the time.

Although my affiliations lie nearer to the airport - living in the boonies I try to take in a few Ravens games - they're competitive enough in the league... champo is a different child altogether

There's an SFC thread?? I can't find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Ah, sorry. I thought it was a Dublin SFC that was being referred to!

You can't compare league to champo imo. League games are played all thru the year, even when the big fish are missing their big names. That kinda levels the playing field out for the little fish.

Oh absolutely 100% agree, the champo brings out the full arsenal available to clubs - the stick fighters are cajoled into playing football, I think Judes had a few minors that started in the IFC and finished the year in the Seniors.

The BIL was umpiring last year and commented to his opposite number on the other post about their corner forward yer man hadn't a scooby who the player was 1st time he'd seen him all year!

BTW did anyone do their homework I gave youse on what to rexpect from Fermanagh on Sunday? I must be in the minority judging by the pools thread in thinking that it'll be a lot closer than some might think. I think sheer pace will undo them late on but they'll do themselves justice. Quite looking forward to the other game too .. strictly neutral of course which is one of my redeeming qualities :D

One of many!!!

I've only seen them in highlights they look like a tight unit . I agree that it should be a close one alright.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement