Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

My jaysis Slattsy you do all the footwork yerself @ greatshout ... a martyr for the cause ... Been a while since I was in but Peters Pub near Break for the Border used to take their pints seriously - the lads behind the counter would tell ya straight off whether the pint was a decent pour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Greatshoutforstout have a good website and twitter for Guinness updates.

Best pint in Dublin at the moment and has been for a while now is Walshes in Stoneybatter.

O'Gara's is superior in every way to Walsh's
    In the City Centre The Auld Dub do a phenomenal pint, but the price is off-putting.

Have never been.
    Bowes on Fleet Street next best.

Cracking pint
    Followed in 3rd by The Dame Tavern.

Been a while since I darkened its door for a pint.

---

I'll accept your praise for the Hall now. A half will be had next week.
    DoctaDee wrote: »
    My jaysis Slattsy you do all the footwork yerself @ greatshout ... a martyr for the cause ... Been a while since I was in but Peters Pub near Break for the Border used to take their pints seriously - the lads behind the counter would tell ya straight off whether the pint was a decent pour.

Peter's has never been the same since it expanded.

---

My list:

1. Kennedy's [RIP], Burgh Quay (Lord rest its soul. Shed a tear or two since it left us.)
    2. Briody's, Marlborough Street
    3. Tommy O'Gara's, Stoneybatter
    4. Frank Ryan's, Queen Street
    5. Hartigan's, Leeson Street Lower

Honourable mentions:

Bowe's, Fleet Street
    The Hop House (Shakespeare), Parnell Street
    Chaplin's, Hawkins Street
    Cleary's, Amiens Street

I miss when Donoghue's on Merrion Row was nice. Almost undrinkable now. The Confession Box (pre-refurb) on Marlborough Street was a good one as well.

If anyone ever says Mulligan's or the Gravediggers in isolation I instantly dismiss their opinion. Mulligan's is a sham.

:o .. Never knew it had .. haven't worked that side of the city in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What do ye think of the pints at Croker? I know you have to take into account the age and inexperience of some of the pint pullers & the fact that they don't really have time to let them settle as they should....But even so, I'd rate the Croker Guinness somewhere between the sludge that flows in the pipes beneath my house & that smelly crap yer mam would put on your chest when you were a chisler & you had a cold. Absolutely dire !

Edit: Ok folks, the main champo thread has been shut down. We need to batten down the hatches in case any bored stragglers wander in here. Remember, it's all about pints, daily commutes and chocolate hobnobs. And most importantly of all, we've never even heard of this Joe McQuillan chap.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What do ye think of the pints at Croker? I know you have to take into account the age and inexperience of some of the pint pullers & the fact that they don't really have time to let them settle as they should....But even so, I'd rate the Croker Guinness somewhere between the sludge that flows in the pipes beneath my house & that smelly crap yer mam would put on your chest when you were a chisler & you had a cold. Absolutely dire !

... I remember the days when they referred to the head as a bishops collar... for that reason my drink of choice in Croker recently has been Stella Le Cidre .. vicks vapour rub .. only to applied externally :confused: .. you ...kin betcha it is ..

:o .. Never knew it had .. haven't worked that side of the city in years

Yeah pushed into the building next door. I think it was storage in the pub originally. Not 100%. But it dragged the atmosphere of the place with it.

---

I got a Guinness last Saturday in Croker in error instead of a Smithwicks and it was alright. Perfectly drinkable.

Outta practice since Leinster Final weekend so that might have done it.

---

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

O'Gara's is superior in every way to Walsh's

Have never been.

Cracking pint

Been a while since I darkened its door for a pint.

---

I'll accept your praise for the Hall now. A half will be had next week.

---

My list:

1. Kennedy's [RIP], Burgh Quay (Lord rest its soul. Shed a tear or two since it left us.)

Honourable mentions:

Bowe's, Fleet Street
    The Hop House (Shakespeare), Parnell Street
    Chaplin's, Hawkins Street
    Cleary's, Amiens Street

I miss when Donoghue's on Merrion Row was nice. Almost undrinkable now. The Confession Box (pre-refurb) on Marlborough Street was a good one as well.

If anyone ever says Mulligan's or the Gravediggers in isolation I instantly dismiss their opinion. Mulligan's is a sham.

I'll have to pull you on Ryans - totally disagree with you there. Great pub, but the Guinness is terrible.

Had a heap of pints in Tommy's last saturday actually, 10 lads out for the matches and all of us drinking guinness - you can only imagine how good they were.

Gravediggers had a nice pint about 7/8 years ago. Gone to the dogs though. Cant stand the staff either. (though the food is good)

Mulligans is a lovely pint still. A few mates work beside it and spend a lot of time there, and they'd be fussy lads!! Although i've not been myself in a year or so. Someone told me it has dropped a bit though.

Agree with the rest. Pop into The Flowing Tide if you're ever on Abbey St - decent pint.

I've a feeling im stopping off somewhere after work for a pint now :)

I'll have to pull you on Ryans - totally disagree with you there. Great pub, but the Guinness is terrible.

Had a heap of pints in Tommy's last saturday actually, 10 lads out for the matches and all of us drinking guinness - you can only imagine how good they were.

Gravediggers had a nice pint about 7/8 years ago. Gone to the dogs though. Cant stand the staff either. (though the food is good)

Mulligans is a lovely pint still. A few mates work beside it and spend a lot of time there, and they'd be fussy lads!! Although i've not been myself in a year or so. Someone told me it has dropped a bit though.

Agree with the rest. Pop into The Flowing Tide if you're ever on Abbey St - decent pint.

Terrible in Ryan's? How dare ya! :P
    I guess I'll just have to dander in now to prove ya wrong.

Yeah Tommy's when the flow is good is like manna. I was in there about a month ago on a Tuesday night about 6 of us in the pub and I think 3 Guinness drinkers including myself and it was an astounding pint.

Mulligan's was written off a long time ago by myself and the lads after some truly shocking pints. Last one I had there was at Christmas. Sour as fook and the place was rammed so no excuses.
    I will accept your opinion though and meet the lads there on Friday for experimentation.

Flowing Tide pints are grand but I just never liked the pub at all. But it's long overdue so I'll give it a bash.

• Advertisement

Eh...should someone not be giving Brogans a shout out...ya know...for luck like.

The Flowing Tide do great toasted ham & cheese sambos. They make 'em on batch bread too, so they don't go soggy quickly the way that yer aul sliced pan sambos do. God, am getting hungry now too. :(

Eh...should someone not be giving Brogans a shout out...ya know...for luck like.

The Flowing Tide do great toasted ham & cheese sambos. They make 'em on batch bread too, so they don't go soggy quickly the way that yer aul sliced pan sambos do. God, am getting hungry now too. :(

Fallon's was great for that too. But it's been a loooooooong time since I was there. Fook, it might be since about 2007. Jaysus.

Well on a football related note, the underage CCC2 resumes this week after the Summer break so I get to enjoy my other favourite past time of badgering the ref. Tho in fairness I've quietened down a lot since we've started winning :D

The lads were reminding me of the Dublin/Galway drawn game in the hurling champ in May. Coen was pulling and dragging Schutte from the get go, but was getting short changed by the ref. So the next incident which occurs right along the line beside us in 306 - I'm up and I'm off on one, as the ref McGrath is taking Coens name I come out with something like "for fuq sake ref he's swinging out of him like a couple at a marriage referendum rally" .. and McGrath stalls with the name taking and looks up at me in the Cusack - for anyone with small kids at the game I sincerely apologise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

we've never even heard of this Joe McQuillan chap.

Grew up with a chap called McQuillan, nice family, the father was a gent

Only McQuillans I ever knew. None of them were called Joe, whoever that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

O
    ---

My list:

Is Briodys still open? It always felt a bit like someones living room the odd time I was in it

Bambi wrote: »
    Is Briodys still open? It always felt a bit like someones living room the odd time I was in it

LOL.. The Cross Guns always remineded me of someones kitchen

Edit .. It's probably gone now

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

Still open. Still going strong for now.

May not be with us for much longer.

The Clery's debacle takes in that whole block on Marlborough Street.
    So it will go the way of development.
    LOL.. The Cross Guns always remineded me of someones kitchen

Edit .. It's probably gone now

It's now Smiths in Phibsboro isn't it?

It's now Smiths in Phibsboro isn't it?

This is the one before the bridge on the right heading out of town, there was a plant for hire place converted on the corner across the bridge .. dunno what that's called .. it would be geographically the same as the Red Parrot if that helps !

Mare of a day. Might meander my way to The Flowing Tide for a pint or 3 and a pizza.

Then go home and have my dinner :D

This is the one before the bridge on the right heading out of town, there was a plant for hire place converted on the corner across the bridge .. dunno what that's called .. it would be geographically the same as the Red Parrot if that helps !

I know where you're talking about but Cross Guns Bridge is at the other end of the Whitworth Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

You city boys need to get into the Dublin Mountains and try The Blue Light! Cracking Guinness always draws me back for a few when I get the better half to do the driving!

• Advertisement

jjdonegal wrote: »
    You city boys need to get into the Dublin Mountains and try The Blue Light! Cracking Guinness always draws me back for a few when I get the better half to do the driving!

Never been. But it's a bleedin' trek and a half for a pint.

I know where you're talking about but Cross Guns Bridge is at the other end of the Whitworth Road.

I'm confusing you ..if you walked out the Red Parrot and up the canal .. past the snooker club and up onto Phibsboro Road - the pub I'm talking about would be there on yer left..

Never been. But it's a bleedin' trek and a half for a pint.

Well, well worth it if your ever up that neck of the woods! The oul fella (regular Guinness drinker for 50+ years) thinks it's the best around and always insists on a trek out when they visit for the weekend!

I'm confusing you ..if you walked out the Red Parrot and up the canal .. past the snooker club and up onto Phibsboro Road - the pub I'm talking about would be there on yer left..

Which is exactly where Smiths in Phibsboro is. :)

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Smith's+of+Phibsboro/@53.3636173,-6.2718164,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xbeefc3b6ddc6933e?hl=en

Well, well worth it if your ever up that neck of the woods! The oul fella (regular Guinness drinker for 50+ years) thinks it's the best around and always insists on a trek out when they visit for the weekend!

I'm never up that neck of the woods. But I have a cunning plan to get a lift up now.

I'm never up that neck of the woods. But I have a cunning plan to get a lift up now.

You'll prob end up hating it now!!
    Always head a little further up and get the overpriced food and overpriced Guinness in Johnny Foxs!

You'll prob end up hating it now!!
    Always head a little further up and get the overpriced food and overpriced Guinness in Johnny Foxs!

Would you stop. Couldn't be bothered traipsing to that kip.

Ahaaa .. went to google street view and it all flooded back to me :o ... there used to be 2 pubs there .. Cross Guns House was the one that's now the left hand side of Smiths ;)

Ahaaa .. went to google street view and it all flooded back to me :o ... there used to be 2 pubs there .. Cross Guns House was the one that's now the left hand side of Smiths ;)

So that's what that was. Would be a savage spot. Big front area for a beer garden. On the canal. Dammit.

Fair play to you & your oul fella for getting out and about to experience the joys (and pints) all over our glorious capital. 'Nowt more annoying than the GAA fan whose entire experience of a trip up to Croker, is the Red Cow car park, the Luas red line & O'Connell St. He then proceeds to lecture all and sundry that there is nothing to Dublin but scumbag junkies & gurriers.

(But enough about DoctaDee, Slatsy & Bonnie. :D )

We Dubs don't go drinking up in the mountains btw. It's where we bury our dead bodies. Have you not seen Love/Hate FFS ? :P

• Advertisement

I prefer to be called a Bowsy tbh.

Dirty or hairy?

Yeah me Da used to refer to people as a bowsy .. I think they were the lads that had a bit of something about them but nothing serious enough to have come to the notice of the judiciary whereas a bollix was someone who should be in the judicial system :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If walking up the canal from Croker Smiths (Formally mahoney) is on the LHS and the pub across the canal on the RHS is the Porter house north.
    I have been to Smiths a few times after a match seems grand as it's a decent size boozer,With plenty of staff on me and the lads liked it as there is hardly any queue while getting a drink and plenty of seats available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 26 players in 4 Championship game.Appearances+Subs for 2015 Championship Game

Brogan, Bernard 4
    Cluxton, Stephen 4 (3 Clean Sheets. Conceded 2 Goals)
    Connolly, Diarmuid 4
    Cooper, Jonny 4
    Fenton, Brian 4
    Flynn, Paul 4
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 4
    McCaffrey, Jack 4
    McMahon, Philip 4
    Rock, Dean 4
    McManamon, Kevin 3+1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2+2
    Small, John 2+2
    Andrews, Paddy 1+3
    Brogan, Alan 0+4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 0+4
    O’Carroll, Rory 3
    O’Sullivan, Cian 3
    Bastick, Denis 2+1
    McCarthy, James 2+1
    Daly, Darren 1+1
    Brady, Tomas 0+2
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1
    Costello, Cormac 0+1
    Lowndes, Eric 0+1
    O’Conghaile, Emmett 0+1

Dublin have scored 13-79 and conceded 2-45 in 4 Championship games. Scorers 2015 Championship Games

Brogan, Bernard 5-16
    Rock, Dean 2-19
    Connolly, Diarmuid 3-8
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-13
    Flynn, Paul 2-4
    Andrews, Paddy 0-4
    Brogan, Alan 0-4
    McMahon, Philip 0-3
    McCaffrey, Jack 1-0
    Fenton, Brian 0-2
    McManamon, Kevin 0-2
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    Lowndes, Eric 0-1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1
    McCarthy, James 0-1

Dublin have used 35 players in 9 League games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 League Games
    Cooper, Jonny 9
    McManamon, Kevin 9
    Rock, Dean 9
    McCaffrey, Jack 8+1
    Brady, Tomas 7+2
    Bastick, Denis 8
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 6+2
    McMahon, Philip 6+2
    O'Carroll, Rory 7
    Brogan, Bernard 5+2
    Small, John 5+2
    Costello, Cormac 3+4
    Fenton, Brian 3+4
    Cluxton, Stephen 6 (4 Clean Sheets. Conceded 3 Goals)
    Culligan, Eoin 6
    McCarthy, James 3+3
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 2+4
    Connolly, Diarmuid 5
    Flynn, Paul 4+1
    Daly, Darren 3+2
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3+2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 3+2
    Andrews, Paddy 1+4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 2+2
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 1+3
    Currie, Sean 3 (2 Clean Sheets. Conceded 1 Goal)
    Carthy, Shane 2+1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2+1
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1+2
    Devereux, Nicky 1+2
    Lowndes, Eric 1+2
    Reddin, Ciaran 0+2
    Deegan, Michael 0+1
    McHugh, Conor 0+1
    Ryan, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 8-131 and conceded 4-101 in 9 League games. Scorers 2015 League Games
    Rock, Dean 1-52
    Brogan, Bernard 2-8
    McCaffrey, Jack 1-7
    Brady, Tomas 0-8
    McManamon, Kevin 0-8
    Connolly, Diarmuid 1-5
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-7
    Fenton, Brian 1-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    McMahon, Philip 0-5
    Costello, Cormac 1-2
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 0-4
    Bastick, Denis 1-1
    Andrews, Paddy 0-3
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 0-2
    Carthy, Shane 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1
    Ryan, Philip 0-1

Dublin have used 34 players in 5 O'Byrne Cup games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 O'Byrne Cup
    Brady, Tomas 5
    Culligan, Eoin 5
    Devereux, Nicky 5
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 5
    Rock, Dean 5
    Small, John 5
    Daly, Darren 5
    Fitzsimons, Michael 4+1
    Bastick, Denis 4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 4
    Hannigan, Graham 3+1
    Ryan, Philip 2+2
    Carthy, Shane 1+3
    Scully, Niall 0+4
    Costello, Cormac 3
    McManamon, Kevin 3
    Molloy, Lorcan 3 (1 Clean Sheet)
    Collins, Niall 2+1
    O'Carroll, Rory 2+1
    Cooper, Jonny 1+2
    Dawson, Harry 1+2
    Lowndes, Stuart 0+3
    Currie, Sean 2 (1 Clean Sheet)
    McCaffrey, Jack 1+1
    Dunleavy, Craig 1+1
    Deegan, Michael 0+2
    Kavanagh, Ian 0+2
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0+2
    O'Higgins, Paddy 0+2
    McCarrick, Alan 0+1
    McGowan, Ross 0+1
    McGuire, Conor 0+1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0+1
    McMahon, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 3-80 and conceded 3-43 in 5 O'Byrne Cup games. Scorers 2015 O'Byrne Cup Games
    Rock, Dean 0-38
    O'Gara, Eoghan 2-7
    McManamon, Kevin 1-6
    Brady, Tomas 0-7
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-6
    Carthy, Shane 0-5
    Ryan, Philip 0-3
    Costello, Cormac 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-1
    Culligan, Eoin 0-1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0-1
    Scully, Niall 0-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Are we allowed discuss tactics.? Or do we need to avoid giving things away, will I be paid a visit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Only Nally left on tickets.ie (missed the bring a friend with the season ticket). Anyone think there will be more tickets released or are we nailed on for a sellout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Only Nally left on tickets.ie (missed the bring a friend with the season ticket). Anyone think there will be more tickets released or are we nailed on for a sellout?

Closer to the day, there may be. I'll be getting my Parnell Pass one on Tuesday week in the ticket office on Dorset Street. Worth trying there later in that week. That's when the returns start coming back.

Fair play to you & your oul fella for getting out and about to experience the joys (and pints) all over our glorious capital. 'Nowt more annoying than the GAA fan whose entire experience of a trip up to Croker, is the Red Cow car park, the Luas red line & O'Connell St. He then proceeds to lecture all and sundry that there is nothing to Dublin but scumbag junkies & gurriers.

(But enough about DoctaDee, Slatsy & Bonnie. :D )

We Dubs don't go drinking up in the mountains btw. It's where we bury our dead bodies. Have you not seen Love/Hate FFS ? :P

The ride in from the Red Cow is not bad. OK, It can be very packed on match days and the country folk complain about it as more and more people get on along the way. Some cute hoors even first get the Luas from the Red Cow to Tallaght, then get off and get on an empty one back into town and so have their seats. Even it if it is packed, if you get standing near some other match-goers, there can be good conversation and some craic. The tourists of course, usually don't know what is going on, only assuming we are going to a sports event when they see the shirts. First guess is soccer, then rugby, but when they get told its Gaelic Football they are confused, and even more so when you say Hurling. They can at least recognise the word "Football".

"Where do we get off?" is a common question, particularly for those folk that are such avid fans that this is the first match of the year they've gone to and they've never been to Croke Park.:rolleyes: A lot get off at Jervis and some at Abbey Street and others go on to Connolly. The smarter passengers, like myself, get off at Busaras. Beats having to cross back Amiens Street to head up to Croke Park. There is also a bit of fun watching them all go to the wrong door, seeing as you get off at the other side at Busaras, compared to other stops. So when I get on, I always head over to the door on the other side, ready to get off when we get to Busaras. It's not just the country folk that can be cute hoors. :D

As for drinking establishments, well I am not a Guinness drinker, so I can't really comment on the quality of pints of it. As for pubs, most people exiting onto Clonliffe Road, head up towards the Drumcondra end. A gang of us go the other way, and go to Meaghers. Much quieter than the mayhem of the likes of Quinns, but still with plenty of buzz. Always a large amount of Dubs, as most of the country folk have headed towards Drumcondra or town. Local knowledge is great for us natives.:)

Getting back to GAA matters, anyone heading in to support the minor hurlers tomorrow? 2pm start. Hopefully we'll be there on All-Ireland day too.

• Advertisement

Just heard that the match is sold out,I was checking out tickets.ie the other day and they only had upper tier and some Nally tickets left.
    Just as well I have the Parnell pass really looking forward to the match.

Just heard that the match is sold out,I was checking out tickets.ie the other day and they only had upper tier and some Nally tickets left.

Shurrup Flukes. Don't be giving away all of our secrets.

I'm a big fan of Meaghers too. It's so big, it never seems as jammers as other pubs in the area & generally seems to be all Dubs people. Not that there is anything wrong with "visitors", but sometimes, you just want to be with your own.

I have fond memories of the place after the 2011 final. There was a rumour going around that the lads may bring the Sam in. (Was told that it was/is Tony Hanahoe's local and that is what the teams that he captained did, when they won silverware. I think that's how the rumour started.) It seems a daft idea now, but back in 2011, it's not like we had a lot of practice in knowing what to do after an AI win. :o

I think I ordered a large brandy to settle the tummy. It was in bits all day long with nerves. Then somebody arrived with a few bottles of champagne from the off license and the brandy was quickly forgotten about. :D

I love going to the Clonliffe House before the game. It's not exactly the most salubrious spot around, but I love the buzz from it being right at the heart of all the action. Also love standing outside it, about an hour before throw in, cold Corona in hand... suddenly you hear the sirens off in the distance, you see the flashing blue lights approach & the bright yellow high viz vests on the Guards. Then you hear it, the roar of the motor bikes of the Garda escort & then you see it, those magic words Dublin Senior Football Team lit up on the front of the bus. Your heart literally stops for a few seconds.

The bus stops, as the stewards remove the barrier at the bottom of Clonliffe Rd. You see the faces of a few of the players up close. You know they see you too, but they aren't really seeing you. Their minds are far, far away, focused on the field of dreams just up the road, but you raise your bottle anyway, in silent salute. Maybe one of these days, you'll get a nod back....

It never gets old.

Well, well, well ProudDub, there's us been drinking in the same establishment, and we didn't know it. :) We'll have to arrange to meet in Meaghers after the semi-final so. As for the Clonliffe House, some of the guys certainly used to go in there before and lots of us after, but as you say, it is not the most salubrious spot, so we've moved on to Meaghers now. Were you there when the boss man gave his speech of thanks to the customers after the quarter-final? He actually gave it twice, presumably so the later arrivals could hear it too. Unfortunately, on neither occasion did it finish with the words "Drinks are on the house." Maybe after the final. :) As for me giving away too many secrets, don't worry about that. A bit like Meaghers, its almost all Dubs in here. :)

Plenty of secret readers here Flukey.
    The Kerry and Mayo lads read every scrap looking for evidence of our legendary cockyness to fuel a victory over our over hyped team ;)

I suspect Yop and spegilite set up an RSS feed for the Mayo management team for immediate updates

Keane searches for any superlatives whatsoever to stick on the wall in killarney

Anyway
    Word on the street is Barney Rock is back training with the senior panel. He was the best ever. He's lost a bit of speed but he's full of good ideas. We'll win with him. Unbeatable.
    :)

Ok so. Since I'm on nightwatch with the little fella.

Brady, along with Kilkenny is imo our most improved player this year going on league form. Seems to have lost out completely to Fenton but I never saw him as a real option at midfield to begin with. This year he was at the same pace as the rest of the team so he's demonstrated that he can fit in.
    I had it in my mind that he'd be handy against Donegal as he's experienced.
    However, if we play a sweeper on AOS he'd be handy imho. He'd be more difficult than most of our options to brush aside like McHugh was.

We are missing that tough steady sub since Cullen retired. I think he's our best candidate but he hasn't been needed in the championship.
    We are also missing the legendary physicality that Brennan has that Corny and I spoke about so much. Brady has a bit of that in him. I wouldn't have bastic in that category as he's too close to starting. Wasn't it 2012 that he was getting into the game vs mayo only to be subbed, he fielded a terrific ball and more or less left the field straight away.

• Advertisement

Disappointing minor semi-final today. We had the winning of it. We gifted them some scores, silly turnovers and the like. We have a lot of them that will still be minors next year, so there is scope to build on this.

The senior match was a cracker, best match of the year. To think too, that we should have beaten Galway on the first day. We were a lot better than the hammering they gave us in the replay. The pace of today shows us the level we have to get to at this stage of the year.

As for boozers, a couple of us ended up in the aforementioned Briody's, not for the first time let it be said. A few other Dubs there, and some others.

Stoner wrote: »
    Anyway
    Word on the street is Barney Rock is back training with the senior panel. He was the best ever. He's lost a bit of speed but he's full of good ideas. We'll win with him. Unbeatable.
    :)

With Jimmy Keaveney coming out of retirement, Barney is going to find it hard to get into the team. Jimmy was going well in training. Big decision for Gavin. Does he go for a guy with the same name as himself or the father of a guy already on the team? Tough one. At least Brian Mullins returning will help sort out our problems at midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This can't be true? I want to go but I'll be pissed off if this is sold out already. They rarely sell out this quick but then again it's the 2 best supported counties.

Flukey wrote: »
    With Jimmy Keaveney coming out of retirement, Barney is going to find it hard to get into the team. Jimmy was going well in training. Big decision for Gavin. Does he go for a guy with the same name as himself or the father of a guy already on the team? Tough one. At least Brian Mullins returning will help sort out our problems at midfield.

Bernard Brogan is going to go drilling for oil again. I can feel it in me waters. But the really scary thing for the opposition, is that Kieran Duff is re growing his beard. I'd be seriously ****ting myself I was them.

The really scary thing is how Andy Kettle, Dave Billings and Heffo are now working together. So we'll now have help with any high balls heading towards the heavens in midfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement