Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

RoyalCelt wrote:
    This can't be true? I want to go but I'll be pissed off if this is sold out already. They rarely sell out this quick but then again it's the 2 best supported counties.

Yes season tickets, Parnell passes and the mayo equivalent are all maxed out , possibly there'd be 8k gone straight away.

Tyrone have lots of season ticket holders too so that might go the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Flukey wrote: »
    Disappointing minor semi-final today. We had the winning of it. We gifted them some scores, silly turnovers and the like. We have a lot of them that will still be minors next year, so there is scope to build on this.

Both forward lines were carrying huge threat yesterday, I thought after Tipps initial ascendancy that the young lads settled down well and upto around the 40 min mark were just shading the game. Big problems then going scoreless for over 10 mins in a 60 minute game. Will be interesting to see how the youngsters develop - I thought Considine from Crokes has the hallmarks of being a big physical full forward in the years to come.

On a side note it was encouraging to see a good few northside clubs being represented again .. the likes of Na Fianna, Craobh Chiarain & of course the boys out in the sticks Maurs & Mearnogs. Nothing to be down about at all they gave it a good run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I thought after Tipps initial ascendancy
    You mean after the ref gave them 2 very soft frees and robbed us of a point.

All in all though, Tipp were far better than us in the last 10 minutes and deserved their win. It does show a lot of promise for us in the future though, hopefully we won't lose too many to football and can foster some of the talent that was out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

On a side note it was encouraging to see a good few northside clubs being represented again .. the likes of Na Fianna, Craobh Chiarain & of course the boys out in the sticks Maurs & Mearnogs. Nothing to be down about at all they gave it a good run

Funny, I was just thinking the very same thing during the team announcements. (I went in yesterday, to give my heart some good practice for the Mayo game. :p ) There were a couple of Whitehall lads on the team too, weren't they?

Indeed there was PD (sorry omitted Daire Gray)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Should there be more tickets released? Sold out very quick.

I'd be curious to know if the Mayo Co Board are going to take up their full allocation of Hill tickets, like they did for the AI final back in 2013. Take away our 16th man and all that. Coz that worked out for them oh so well 2 years ago. :D

Should there be more tickets released? Sold out very quick.

Dowrit ... only returns I'd say at this stage .. will be later next week before any light is shone on that tbh. Ticket office for PP holders only starts doling them out from next Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EnergyBlaster

Kavrocks wrote: »
    You mean after the ref gave them 2 very soft frees and robbed us of a point.

All in all though, Tipp were far better than us in the last 10 minutes and deserved their win. It does show a lot of promise for us in the future though, hopefully we won't lose too many to football and can foster some of the talent that was out there.

As far as I know, from another site what I can gather is that all those playing were mainly hurlers

ProudDUB wrote:
    Funny, I was just thinking the very same thing during the team announcements. (I went in yesterday, to give my heart some good practice for the Mayo game. ) There were a couple of Whitehall lads on the team too, weren't they?

I did the same took a count . Very even spread, good news for the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Greatshoutforstout have a good website and twitter for Guinness updates.

Best pint in Dublin at the moment and has been for a while now is Walshes in Stoneybatter.

In the City Centre The Auld Dub do a phenomenal pint, but the price is off-putting. Bowes on Fleet Street next best.
    Followed in 3rd by The Dame Tavern.

Sorry for derailing the thread lads but in response to Slattsy from last Friday I ended up in Walsh's on the way to Ryans and the Royal Oak (the lad I was with wouldn't come into O'Gara's.

First time I darkened the door since the Ulster Final 2011. Pint was daycent anyway. Not as sour as I remembered.

---

Anyway, as you were...

ProudDUB wrote:
    I'd be curious to know if the Mayo Co Board are going to take up their full allocation of Hill tickets, like they did for the AI final back in 2013
    They had the minors then too. Tip and Kildare will follow the traditional path I'm sure.
    I'd say Kildare will get some support from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Yesterday's defeat was essentially just like the Leinster final defeat. No belief in the last ten minutes.

Frustraing the amount of times we attempted to play short balls out defence, coughing up a few points. The short puck outs also cost us dearly, with at least 1-1 coming from us trying to be too clever with the ball. Considine was very good in the first half, but they didn't use him in the second-half.

Was there ever a time when northside clubs weren't represented on Dublin senior hurling teams?!?

Was there ever a time when northside clubs weren't represented on Dublin senior hurling teams?!?

I'd doubt it but off the top of my head the 2 Na Fianna lads - Barrett & Boland were the only representatives last time out v Waterford ?

No but there was a time that there were far more from the north side pointing at good development on the Southside and decline on the northside no ?

Eoghan Ruadh traditionally drew their players from the Stoneybatter area historicaly they had decent success and took players from church street to cabra cross were, they did well across all grades and genders even winning all Ireland senior camogie championships.
    Very few players from that part of the city now.
    The area produced hurlers like Joey Towell
    http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=706.10;wap2

It's sad to see the decline in hurling in that part of the city , clubs like Finbarrs have brought things on but a large part of traditional northside Dublin hurling has declined imho. I guess like many areas if you plotted a graph of this vs the drop in Christian brothers teaching in the schools you'll find a pattern. But that's a different story!!!

Was it ten years ago or more that Ballynoden and O'Tools were contesting senior county championship finals regularly That was possibly a turning point I remember Ballyboden had something like 8 lads on the senior intercounty panel .

Since then the Southside clubs have produced some all star players and Dublin have picked up some silverware.

All in all it can only be good to get some of the other clubs producing more players that can compete at a higher level again.

Stoner wrote: »
    No but there was a time that there were far more from the north side pointing at good development on the Southside and decline on the northside no ?

Eoghan Ruadh traditionally drew their players from the Stoneybatter area historicaly they had decent success and took players from church street to cabra cross were, they did well across all grades and genders even winning all Ireland senior camogie championships.
    Very few players from that part of the city now.
    The area produced hurlers like Joey Towell
    http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=706.10;wap2

It's sad to see the decline in hurling in that part of the city , clubs like Finbarrs have brought things on but a large part of traditional northside Dublin hurling has declined imho. I guess like many areas if you plotted a graph of this vs the drop in Christian brothers teaching in the schools you'll find a pattern. But that's a different story!!!

Was it ten years ago or more that Ballynoden and O'Tools were contesting senior county championship finals regularly That was possibly a turning point I remember Ballyboden had something like 8 lads on the senior intercounty panel .

Since then the Southside clubs have produced some all star players and Dublin have picked up some silverware.

All in all it can only be good to get some of the other clubs producing more players that can compete at a higher level again.

Yeah the Larriers and Craobh provided decent numbers to the set up 15 years ago .. now with Mick Carton going there's no representative from O'Tooles. The only beacon Northside is Na Fianna, I think they're competing well underage (the only NS club to win minor titles recently) but really the focus this side of the water is football .. and thats just the way it is ..

Well the 61 team had about 7 lads starting from Vincents. Franner Whelan from Eoghan Ruadh started too. Would be interesting to check that out. They lost to tip by 1 point in the AI final.

Ill look up the the breakdown on that team.

I'd be fairly confident that all around the NCR , Aughram street , Abour Hill , stoneybatter was mainly hurling for long periods.

Well the 61 team had about 7 lads Vincents. Franner Whelan from Eoghan Ruadh started too. Would be interesting to check that out. They lost to tip by 1 point in the AI final.

Ill look up the the breakdown on that team.

I'd be fairly confident that all around the NCR , Aughram street , Abour Hill , stoneybatter was mainly hurling for long periods.

You've just reminded me of the Foleys with Vins and Des in particular who played Railway Cup in both codes on the same day. .twas early 60 too

the line up on the day.
    No clubs though . Jimmy Grey was from Galway. So we'd be looking for a breakdown of the outfield players. I dont know how many of the Vincent's lads were from Dublin, I assume 100% .

We have Fran Whelan

The 6 Vincent's lads are
    source

Des, lar Foley
    Liam and Des Ferguson
    Noel Drumgoole
    Shay lynch

This app is gone to the dogs, I've given up trying to get it to hold links and quotes

• Advertisement

the line up on the day.
    No clubs though . Jimmy Grey was from Galway. So we'd be looking for a breakdown of the outfield players. I dont know how many of the Vincent's lads were from Dublin, I assume 100% .

I wouldn't have thought Jimmy Gray was a mudblood ? .... I remember reading only 1 true blue has an AI hurling medal the rest were mercenaries ;)

Well it looks like there's gonna be 82,300 opinions inside Croker on the 30th ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You lads make me feel young!

@bonsaisituation lovely few pints in Tommy's tonight. Popped in on way home to watch that foreigner sport.

Well us and the gallon of porter inside ya ... I always thought I became invisible with drink on me, no one would see me do anything ... :o .. learned me lesson quick enough !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bonsaisituation lovely few pints in Tommy's tonight. Popped in on way home to watch that foreigner sport.

acer-bonsai-pall.jpg

It's just worrying how close myself and Slattsy seem to be at crossing paths.
    Well us and the gallon of porter inside ya ... I always thought I became invisible with drink on me, no one would see me do anything ... :o .. learned me lesson quick enough !

I'm the same. then I look through my phone...

very quiet in here.
    I've my fancy ticket arranged for Sunday again.
    I've gone from expecting an upset to expecting a Kerry win because I've realized how little i really know about Tyrone, I've been to their games, saw the U21s etc. But I've zero idea how they will do against Kerry, I don't know how good or bad their forwards really are. They are very well organised I cant see any of that riot Kerry ran against Kildare happening for example D O'Sullivan will not come on and open them up IMO, Gooch and JOD yes.

I could see Kerry coming out of with less to select from for the final. They'll either hold lads off or risk injury, this will be their first really intense game this year, I'd be very supersized if JODs shoulder doesn't get a good test.

Reminds me of Darren Homan against Armagh back in the day, they hopped into his shoulder off the ball, don't think he played senior football after that, he was imo Whelans only real midfield partner. He had great games against Kerry in the championship a decent fielder, anyway I'm rambling.
    Thing is that the shoulder it the one injury you don't want in GAA as off the ball hits to the shoulder go unpunished. A lad could get hit 5 times in as many minutes from as many players

I've had a quick jot down of our players.

As far as i see it we have 9 forwards available that are up to it. Costello, Rock and McManamon need things to go their way. Andrews can seem out of his class with some of the others sometimes but IMO he had his best championship game in 2013 against Mayo, he was everywhere. We are missing both Mannions runs and O'Gara, they both offer more chances of goals then say Andrews or Rock.

Midfield three options we know them now, Fenton is a risk, Bastic is another SOS imo underrated player that puts in a shift and plays well against good players can field the ball better than MDMA.

What of Shane Carthy, Mayo play open football, he could feature yet , shows well for kickouts, takes frees he could come off the bench under the radar.

Brady too, there are a couple of roles for him. I think that it might be wise to steal from Mayos bag of tricks and have him out the filed for kickouts and covering AOS thereafter. Although against us I think AOS will take on the role Donaghy does sometimes, he'll move out for kickouts and drift back in.

Half back line, four options
    O'Sullivan, Small, McCaffery McCarthy going a bit against the grain a but McCarthy is IMO our best HB. McCaffery is going well this year but McCarthy will hit them hard, he's the one you wouldn't want marking you.

Back line. with ROC and Cooper there is a mix of strength in the air and the ability to get out ahead of the player. McMahon to is our best option in his best position IMO, I don't look so much at there being less pressure on his position as being a bad thing, I prefer having him in there now established rather than just winning his spot back.

Overall there is no doubt that apart from Small and Fenton we have less options available this year then we had in 2013, mainly up front. However the team is more settled now and there is reasonable cover in the subs and game changers in the subs too. The starting 15 is more settled

This would be my starting team vs Mayo

Cluxton
    P McMahon
    ROC
    Cooper
    McCaffery
    O'Sulllivan
    McCarthy
    MDMA
    Brady
    Connelly
    Fenton/Carthy
    Flynn
    Andrews/Costello (depending on how hes going)
    B Brogan
    Kilkenny

My subs would be

Bastic
    Andrews/Costello
    McMamaman
    A Brogan
    Rock
    Carthy
    Fitzsimons
    Deveroux
    Culligan (good game v Mayo already strength would be an assent)

whoever I left out, its been a long week sorry

The most surprising thing is that i cant find a place for Rock in the stating line up so Cluxton would need to be on form, however i cant see it happening.

Sooooo here comes the bit i get slagged for.

I'd drop a forward to mark AOS, this i think will be the Barry Cahill/Cullen role that Fenton will play. A corner forward will be dropped and kilkenny would be shown on paper as being in the corner but he'll pop into the slot freed up by Fenton playing further out. Therefore you couldn't reasonably have Rock up with Brogan it would need to be Costello/Andrews/McManamon running into the corners. I would definitely not start McManamon he is 100% at his best as a sub and we need him on the bench for impact and the physiologically benefit

How AOS is handled will be telling, the size of the players Mayo have available to them messes our selection up all together IMO, we struggled on that big cork team of 09/10 too.

Would Connelly, Kilkenny, B Brogan, Flynn be enough to carry Rock, I think if three of the four had a good day it would be enough, but its a risk. I think the Mayo backs would could mark Rock with their flutes, he plays very well in a packed defense IMO he can get on the end of tight plays , but in open space at pace could he pull his weight in a two man inside line?
    This is why I have a mad wild card for Carthy starting in the half forward line too. He can take frees and is more mobile than Rock, in this game fielding will be important, a slow forward will free up a fast counter attaching Mayo back. Carthy could drift in and out a bit.

AOS and the space he creates could win this for Mayo, yet my thoughts on mayo since the start of the year are the same, they have yet to show they can handle a top number 14 (playing there for the game) themselves? they'll have to prove it at least twice to win the AI.

Dublin Mayo, I predict a draw. If Kerry start JOD I predict he'll leave the filed injured or to prevent it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Some interesting rambles Stoner. Would imagine team will stay fairly settled. Of outside shots Brady has the best chance. Mayo are togging 5 lads comfortable in the air and 6'1"+.
    Brady played well in the league game.
    Bastick I think is the player who will drop back. MDMA n Fenton midfield. McManamon dropped for Bastick? Tough calls.
    OSullivan sweeping as is, I dont see him on his own as being enough.
    I think Mayo need to maintain speed in their backs for the 70 mins. So I see Durcan for sure off bench for Boyle who usually has himself heaving with work (he goes into everything at full pace) by 55 mins.
    For me the game is decided by our half backs versus the Dublin half Forwards. Whichever line wins 2 out of three battles tips the scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Dublin have every right to claim they were the better team in 13 final. The victor writes the history and that's how it should be. If we analyse that game more forensically however (and from a Mayo angle ) it was Brogans first goal that saved Dublin as they were in big trouble up to that point.. From a Mayo point it was a terribly soft goal to concede. Up to that point Mayo were physically dominant, they bullied and hammered Dublin in what was a very physical 35 mins. Mayo fitness and conditioning has moved on even more since then and they have Dublins number in that sector which can be the difference these days.Anyone who has met any of the Mayo team in person can tell you how big they are, they are silly strong even COC is a brute now. As ever with Mayo the winning of this game will be how much their 6 forwards can contribute from play when their parachute (the half back line )is busy with their own business.The backs will not have the freedom or energy to maraud forward like they did against a watery Donegal. They will need most of their forward line and subs to make a scoring contribution including at least 1 goal to win the game. My reading of it is that over the last 2 games between the 2 teams Mayo have been the better side by a good bit but lack of killer instinct almost caught them in 12 and did catch them in 13 that extra bit is there now if forwards can deliver.
    While I'm at it Kerry to win convincingly, result will never be in doubt but the final score may not reflect the difference. In tight games 3 or 4 points can be convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Dublin have every right to claim they were the better team in 13 final. The victor writes the history and that's how it should be. If we analyse that game more forensically however (and from a Mayo angle ) it was Brogans first goal that saved Dublin as they were in big trouble up to that point.. From a Mayo point it was a terribly soft goal to concede. Up to that point Mayo were physically dominant, they bullied and hammered Dublin in what was a very physical 35 mins. Mayo fitness and conditioning has moved on even more since then and they have Dublins number in that sector which can be the difference these days.Anyone who has met any of the Mayo team in person can tell you how big they are, they are silly strong even COC is a brute now. As ever with Mayo the winning of this game will be how much their 6 forwards can contribute from play when their parachute (the half back line )is busy with their own business.The backs will not have the freedom or energy to maraud forward like they did against a watery Donegal. They will need most of their forward line and subs to make a scoring contribution including at least 1 goal to win the game. My reading of it is that over the last 2 games between the 2 teams Mayo have been the better side by a good bit but lack of killer instinct almost caught them in 12 and did catch them in 13 that extra bit is there now if forwards can deliver.
    While I'm at it Kerry to win convincingly, result will never be in doubt but the final score may not reflect the difference. In tight games 3 or 4 points can be convincing.

Sorry I didn't mean to post this in the Dublin thread. Not the first Culchie to get lost in Dublin I suppose.

ultrapercy wrote:
    Sorry I didn't mean to post this in the Dublin thread. Not the first Culchie to get lost in Dublin I suppose.

It's ok uktrapercy. You can post about us winning in 2013 all you want.

On that I dont remember the 2013 the same way you do. I remember that after the first 10 minutes MDMA had AOS beaten he did little after that.

Cooper took a hammering alright as did ROC but I think the goal post helped there, O' Gara was bunched too. We used our subs too early.

I'm not at all concerend about mayo being fitter, they've been in great condition since 2012. They didn't lose in 2013 because the Dubs were fitter indeed the Dubs fell over the line and the mayo management didnt spot it and move Higgins out of defence. They also lost because they have an iffy number three and still do.

Height and fielding will be an issue, but then it always is with Dublin.
    Our lads will bring them on a run too.

Feck it lets start bastic and Fenton and push MDMA up with Brogan.!!

ROC will have his hands full. Lots of talk about how McGee was the only one who might handle AOS.
    But here is were I take a leap of faith. ROC is only 25. When you think of it he did ok on star four years ago as a 21 year old. He does ok on Murphy too .
    When you go to games in Kerry and Mayo their fans like him or at least respect him. We are very lucky to have him and have nobody to replace him.
    Imo mayo would give their right arm for him.
    When he's not there we struggle. He'll be our most important player in the game, its AOSs mobility that concerns me it's where he lands and how fast he turns to face goal running. Star doesn't do that as much he usually lands where he jumped and he suits ROC more.

All in all though mayo appear to be the most improved team, I included Kerry in that too. Big games from big players will be needed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

ultrapercy wrote: »

Don't think it has anything to do with winning or losing, invariably people see what they want to see.

For what its worth i agree Mayo were slightly stronger in the first half against Dublin in 2013 and the scoreline flattered us. What you're missing though is that at the start of the second Dublin effectively took the game away from Mayo when they upped the ante. Andy Morans goal, just as poor from a Dublin perspective, put a gloss on it for Mayo. They got nothing from play and were crucified in the middle third. Dublin paced themselves far better on a warm day was my overriding memory of proceedings.

BTW the evidence would suggest Dublin are a fitter team because on both occasions Mayo have weakened first. (second half 2013, last 20 2012) Dublin upped the intensity and Mayo wilted.

Cluxton
    P McMahon
    ROC
    Cooper
    McCaffery
    O'Sulllivan
    McCarthy
    MDMA
    Brady
    Connelly
    Fenton/Carthy
    Flynn
    Andrews/Costello (depending on how hes going)
    B Brogan
    Kilkenny

Brady is too slow, both in terms of his own pace and how he slows the play down whenever he gets the ball. During the league, he was great at shoring up midfield, or putting in a shift at half forward, when other counties were not at full strength. But as the league went on, other counties got stronger and stronger & he was playing with more and more of the Dublin regulars, his short comings became more apparent imo. It would be madness to start him at a game at this level, unless there was a damm good reason for it.

This time last year, CC had never started an inter county championship game and he had relatively little game time under his belt. Yet Gavin started him anyway in the semi final. It was a disaster. Now here we are again, a year later, he has still not started another championship game and he has every little game time under his belt. It would be madness to repeat that experiment again. I really, really hope that Gavin has learned his lesson. In games at this level, you don't just start your best players on paper - which CC very well may be, with his youth and speed. You start the players with the experience & the guile & the nerves of steel to handle themselves in games at this level, against the very best. CC just doesn't have that yet. He will in time, but he doesn't yet. The likes of Cafferky and Keegan would eat him for breakfast. I also wouldn't be putting Carty in that situation.

Wouldn't drop Rock for Kev Mc. A few months ago, I probably would have, as I just didn't think Rock contributed enough from open play. I thought that Kev did bring more to the table over all, but he is having a very poor summer, by his standards. Deano brings his dead ball accuracy, but he is also getting more & more involved in open play now. He scored 2 goals of his own & I can think of 3 other goals that he was directly involved in the creation off too. During the league, he wasn't getting that involved, hence my concern about "carrying" him purely for his free taking abilities. But I now think that he offers more & he merits his spot for now. He could be in trouble down the road, if Kev Mc finds his form, O'Gara comes back from injury, the likes of McHugh & CC get more big game experience etc etc, but he deserves his starting jersey for the rest of the year imo.

Ah ballcocks.....ye duped me into talking about the damm game again. :mad:

....quick every one...

Tayto v King

Barrys tea v Lyons

Superquin sausages v Dennys

Loop the Loops v Wibbley Wobbley Wonders?

On that I dont remember the 2013 the same way you do. I remember that after the first 10 minutes MDMA had AOS beaten he did little after that.

Cooper took a hammering alright as did ROC but I think the goal post helped there, O' Gara was bunched too. We used our subs too early.

I'm not at all concerend about mayo being fitter, they've been in great condition since 2012. They didn't lose in 2013 because the Dubs were fitter indeed the Dubs fell over the line and the mayo management didnt spot it and move Higgins out of defence. They also lost because they have an iffy number three and still do.

Height and fielding will be an issue, but then it always is with Dublin.
    Our lads will bring them on a run too.

Feck it lets start bastic and Fenton and push MDMA up with Brogan.!!

ROC will have his hands full. Lots of talk about how McGee was the only one who might handle AOS.
    But here is were I take a leap of faith. ROC is only 25. When you think of it he did ok on star four years ago as a 21 year old. He does ok on Murphy too .
    When you go to games in Kerry and Mayo their fans like him or at least respect him. We are very lucky to have him and have nobody to replace him.
    Imo mayo would give their right arm for him.
    When he's not there we struggle. He'll be our most important player in the game, its AOSs mobility that concerns me it's where he lands and how fast he turns to face goal running. Star doesn't do that as much he usually lands where he jumped and he suits ROC more.

All in all though mayo appear to be the most improved team, I included Kerry in that too. Big games from big players will be needed again.

Thats the key bit. I've no problem Mayo picking a bunch of big lads in the middle. I remember being behind the goal in the canal end and from a height watching Dublin rush one way only for a lone sole to break into space the other and be cleanly found by Cluxton. It worked every time. We actually had it easy that day winning clean possession.

We're focusing far too much on the threats Mayo bring anyway. Dublin a formidable challenge for all and sundry. Irrespective of the marginal selection calls they will rack up a score against every team in the country and how they're matched on the scoreboard by an inferior Mayo unit is a far more pressing question imo.

I would agree completely but this year he was slowing down the play a lot less I think we mentioned it months ago. He's better this year than last. He is strong on the ball.

He is. But he hasn't played a game at this level all year, nor has he played much with MDMA. In a game of this importance, I wouldn't be starting a brand new midfield partnership, unless I really had to. If it all goes pear shaped, there is no safety net. Try something like that during the league, or in the first couple of rounds of the Leinster champo, not in an AI semi final. I also think that he lacks the pace that games at this stage of the year are played at. If it was only was slightly apparent during the league games, it would be very apparent now.

I meant as a third man in midfield/helping out the defensive a role he has played to a degree but dropping back further then he has, fenton MDMA would still be paired. I wouldn't change things too much .
    Rock has played better since he moved inside and with O Gara out he's one of the biggest options we have in there.
    I've been pulled up by suggesting he's there to win some ball and try to take up some of O Garas duties , and that's he's there for frees only. However as soon as O Gara got injured he moved from the half forward line up beside Brogan. This might be because the other three l came back at that time too. But Rock is best suited where he's played now, he's decent under a highball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

ProudDUB wrote: »

Tayto v King

Definitely King. I like Tayto, but King have a nicer flavour. Every matchday, there's a pack of them in my back pack (along with the hang sangwiches! :)).

Giving a shocker for tamarra .. I can't see the standard of football rising above the weather conditions ... I'd give Tyrone a fighting chance .. just had a flashback to 2008 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'd doubt it but off the top of my head the 2 Na Fianna lads - Barrett & Boland were the only representatives last time out v Waterford ?

O Donnell who plays for Whitehall Colmcille is on the panel. Alan McCrabbe of CC couldnt pulled out of the squad for 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

STB. wrote: »
    O Donnell who plays for Whitehall Colmcille is on the panel. Alan McCrabbe of CC couldnt pulled out of the squad for 2015.

Alan Nolan, Cian Boland and Eamonn Dillon are the other northsiders that were in the 26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Giving a shocker for tamarra .. I can't see the standard of football rising above the weather conditions ... I'd give Tyrone a fighting chance .. just had a flashback to 2008 :rolleyes:

Also in 2008 was the horrific downpour throughout the second half of the Kerry v Galway quarter-final. It is the only time I've ever seen flood warnings being flashed up on the big screens. It didn't prevent there being some fantastic football played in that half by both teams. On the same evening, sissies from Sunderland called off their friendly in Tolka Park due to the weather. So it may not be a very nice day, but once the ball is thrown in, things are going to rise above the weather. I am going to need my wet gear - my Dublin rain mac no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

the line up on the day.

We have Fran Whelan

The 6 Vincent's lads are
    source

Des, lar Foley
    Liam and Des Ferguson
    Noel Drumgoole
    Shay lynch

This app is gone to the dogs, I've given up trying to get it to hold links and quotes

All of them were from Dublin. Heffo himself was a dual player with Vinnies in 61, but wasn't on that team. Vincents have went through a period of being beaten finalists too many times over the past 20 years.

hist_1961_dublin_hurlers.jpg

3 sets of brothers on that team.

Shannon and Bohan played with Scoil Ui Chonail.

Also in 2008 was the horrific downpour throughout the second half of the Kerry v Galway quarter-final. It is the only time I've ever seen flood warnings being flashed up on the big screens. It didn't prevent there being some fantastic football played in that half by both teams. On the same evening, sissies from Sunderland called off their friendly in Tolka Park due to the weather. So it may not be a very nice day, but once the ball is thrown in, things are going to rise above the weather. I am going to need my wet gear - my Dublin rain mac no less.
    Wasn't there a league game under the lights I think again Tyrone were involved when they opened the upper Cusack because the lower flooded. Can't get in tomorrow myself but hope you enjoy the day and anyone else that's heading.

If Tyrone can bag a goal or 2 it'll be a close run game, otherwise I'd see Kerry winning hands and heels

Can Kerry do it on a wet Sunday against Tyrone in Croker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Can Kerry do it on a wet Sunday against Tyrone in Croker?

I'd say Harte is loving that weather right now. Should be an interesting game. Won't make for great quality football but should be entertaining all the same.

Definitely King. I like Tayto, but King have a nicer flavour. Every matchday, there's a pack of them in my back pack (along with the hang sangwiches! :)).

Ah here....what self respecting Dub brings a feed of hang sangwiches into Croker? :eek:

I'm pretty sure the Heffo Code states that only a bath-ur burger & a truck load of curry chips from the chipper at the bottom of the NCR, is the only acceptable nosh for any self respecting Dub to be horsing into their gob before a match. God, next thing you'll be saying you bring in a flashk of tae, a Tiffin bar & a slice of the mothers fruit cake too ! :mad:

I'm going for a Tyrone 1 pt win. The horrible conditions are more conducive to the horrible slug fest, war of attrition kind of a game that Tyrone are masters at winning. It's probably more wishful thinking on my part, but sure there ya go.

Tyrone the better team but blew it.

The AI winners come from the winners next weekend imho, regardless who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Apolpgies. Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

100% agree. Really thought Tyrone wud pull it out of the bag today and backed them accordingly so you'll assured ill be wrong when I say that I see Dublin putting on a clinic next weekend and winning comfortably.
    If Tyrone had Cluxton today they win that game. Morgan a disaster more times than not.

• Advertisement

They conceded 3-18 last time they played Dublin. Their defence doesn't look capable of handling pacey runners. Dublin are all wrong for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement