Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Very hard to know what to think after that, in the context of what will happen if Dublin beat Mayo. Tyrone had that game won, but for Morgans shocker of a game and their poor choices with their goal chances, no question about it. Who genuinely thought they would be saying that that 24 hrs ago? Lots of Kerrys big names under performing, but still....I just never got the sense that they would lose.

Even when Tyrone got their penalty, Kerry were still able to put 4 more pts on the board in relative quick succession. Kerry never really seemed to get out of third gear, but they still won. They certainly won't be in third gear in September. Still....the lack of form/fitness of JO'D/Gooch/Donaghy must be a worry for Fitzmaurice. So must all the goal & peno chances that they coughed up. Hopefully, we are the ones who get to exploit their weak spots a month from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah here....what self respecting Dub brings a feed of hang sangwiches into Croker? :eek:

I'm pretty sure the Heffo Code states that only a bath-ur burger & a truck load of curry chips from the chipper at the bottom of the NCR, is the only acceptable nosh for any self respecting Dub to be horsing into their gob before a match. God, next thing you'll be saying you bring in a flashk of tae, a Tiffin bar & a slice of the mothers fruit cake too ! :mad:

I never buy food in Croke Park. Who wants to be ripped off? I bring my own. No flask of team or Tiffins or fruit cake, but I do bring other items. After all, you need to line the stomach before heading for a few pints after a match. :)

As for today's match, it was a close thing. Tyrone will regret the missed frees and the goal chances. They certainly could have won the match. Kerry are in the final, just where they like to be. They'll want to put one over on us and they still form that psychological barrier for Mayo, so they'll be a different animal in the final for whoever comes out of next Sunday's match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Flukey wrote: »
    ......... Kerry are in the final, just where they like to be. They'll want to put one over on us and they still form that psychological barrier for Mayo, so they'll be a different animal in the final for whoever comes out of next Sunday's match.

I'd say there'll be a few candles lit down in Killarney for a Mayo win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

An Citeog wrote: »
    Alan Nolan, Cian Boland and Eamonn Dillon are the other northsiders that were in the 26.

As long as they're from Dublin, it's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Regarding the football, Dublin have been the most consistent team over the last five years, but in that time they have still lost three semi-finals. They've lost six since the turn of the century, and only won two. The pessimistic part of my brain is winning out at the moment. Dublin's only proper test in the Championship over the last 23 months saw them lose to Donegal. Only that Mayo have had a similarly easy run through the Championship so far I'd be making them my clear favourites.

Kerry were, in my opinion, the least impressive All-Ireland winners in a long while last year. The final was the lowest scoring in over a decade. And yet, they are only one big performance away from winning their second on the bounce, and wiping out the progress Dublin had made towards catching up with them in overall All-Irelands! They're some pack of cute whooooars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

As long as they're from Dublin, it's all good!

That's true but it's not going to help Dublin in the long run if Boden and Crokes (or Cuala for that matter) continue to share SHCs between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jjdonegal wrote:
    . If Tyrone had Cluxton today they win that game. Morgan a disaster more times than not.

True I was at the game with some Tyrone lads, passionate about football.

The Kerry lads with us kept roaring

Black Card , Black Card Hairdresser!!!

Anyway after the game we were talking about Dub vs Mayo. Rock came up and the lads reckoned if they had him they would have won.

I'd say he would have nailed three of the four last frees they had.

I think they can forget about Morgan. Never saw a flakey free taker correct that in his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Stoner wrote: »
    True I was at the game with some Tyrone lads, passionate about football.

The Kerry lads with us kept roaring

Black Card , Black Card Hairdresser!!!

Anyway after the game we were talking about Dub vs Mayo. Rock came up and the lads reckoned if they had him they would have won.

I'd say he would have nailed three of the four last frees they had.

I think they can forget about Morgan. Never saw a flakey free taker correct that in his game.

He must have gave away 6 points from short kickouts too. Was a great stat thrown out on Sunday Game yesterday about Cluxtons kickouts against us last year.
    Dunlin had 23 and won 20. That's the level Tyrone needed yesterday but Morgan simply will not provide that regularly. On his day I think he is absolutely superb but his day is not often enough. Yesterday was a howler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Hard to take too much from the game, kickouts, footwork and handling were terrible and probably won't be on a better day. Kerry have conceded lots of goal chances against Tyrone and Cork, Tyrone got success from runners through the middle which we do very well. A few goal chances came from turnovers from handling errors that won't happen on a dry day though. Kerry aren't a great team but I feel they have that ability to adapt and grind past teams so I wouldn't right them off for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

it could be a smokescreen Kerry wont be that out of sorts the next day the two teams Sunday would have had a field day against that backline, O Se's black card may have had a serious effect but they were ripe for the taking,4 goal chances Tyrone butchered if only Peter the great was 20 years younger theyd have cleaned up

• Advertisement

..............Kerry aren't a great team but I feel they have that ability to adapt and grind past teams so I wouldn't right them off for a second.

Absolutely - look credit where credits due, a decidedly unremarkable team by even Kerry punditry standards is on the cusp of a back to back - something that neither of the form teams of this decade could manage and Mayo can only dream of. They look flaky, offer up countless opportunities to the opposition - but still find a way to prevail, so while their football at times mightn't be the power game of old they have a champions mentality that refuses to buckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hopefully we get a proper ref against Kerry (if we beat Mayo) that will be fair.

The amount of 50/50 or even 40/60 (;)) calls they get is scandalous. In saying that its always been the case for as long as i've been watching them so its not at all surprising.
    Some of the lads in the match thread yesterday were going on like it was a new thing.

Anyone expecting any drastic changes to the line up for Sunday? Would like to see Bastic in the middle myself.

will Mcmenamin start ,he never catches the eye too much when starting,great to bring him on min 50-55 but nowhere near as effective unless hes an impact sub

They have so many options though, on a day when Donoghue and Gooch were quiet, and Donaghy had to be hauled off at HT, they still hit 18 points. Their forwards will be more dangerous in our spacious defence but we'll also punish them more than Tyrone did.

seanhynes wrote: »
    will Mcmenamin start ,he never catches the eye too much when starting,great to bring him on min 50-55 but nowhere near as effective unless hes an impact sub

Howya Sean - probably the last decent game I saw McMenamon have was up in Castlebar in the league. He destroyed Mayo with his movement and direct running, if ever a game was to suit him it's this one. The one thing I'd mention tho is that Mayo came out 2nd half with 15 men behind the ball - now the horse had well and truly bolted at that stage but that may offer a flavour of Mayos outlook next Sunday, in which case space will be at a premium and it may not suit Kev Mc starting.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Howya Sean - probably the last decent game I saw McMenamon have was up in Castlebar in the league. He destroyed Mayo with his movement and direct running, if ever a game was to suit him it's this one. The one thing I'd mention tho is that Mayo came out 2nd half with 15 men behind the ball - now the horse had well and truly bolted at that stage but that may offer a flavour of Mayos outlook next Sunday, in which case space will be at a premium and it may not suit Kev Mc starting.

that game had me depressed in the waiting for this summer ,never seen us destroyed as bad in a long long while since Maybe Kerry 2006 in the final but ya they had to try keep it respectable for the 2nd half ,hes been very very quiet this campaign iv been disappointed in him he just seems to be out of gas around midway 2nd half hes a much better option off the bench i find

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

McMananons (how do you spell his bleedin name) been a bit unlucky imo. When he's started he's been the man designated to come deep and win the dirty ball. Not easy when you're catching the ball around the 45, facing your own goal, amidst the defence screen. He normally excels when his facing the goal so i've a certain sympathy.

Rocks inability to offer an option and O'Garas injury are probably the reasons why he's been asked to do the job. To my eye at least. Don't know if anyone agrees?

I think he'll start on Sunday btw.

corny wrote:
    McMananons (how do you spell his bleedin name) been a bit unlucky imo. When he's started he's been the man designated to come deep and win the dirty ball. Not easy when you're catching the ball around the 45, facing your own goal, amidst the defence screen. He normally excels when his facing the goal so i've a certain sympathy.

I'd agree with the other posters here Andrews plays well against Mayo. He had a great game in 2013 as they were worried about everyone else. We don't have an inside forward the works like him for as long, He's not my favourite player but he is the man for Mayo imo.

McManamon is best off the bench he reads the game well from the bench and is a proven game changer at this level. In fairness to Andrews I don't think he's a game changer.
    We need impact subs and Kevin is one of them OGara is another and is missed , Alan Brogan is another. Mannion if available has that potential too although not as much.

With Kevin and Alan on the bench that's good power to bring on if we are chasing or closing out a game.
    I'd rather finish with our best team again.
    That's what we have for forwards on the bench Costello has been ruled out here for the moment.

Next year Alan might be gone, but OGara Mannion and hopefully McHugh will be around but this year we are lighter on options than usual and need to use them wisely

If anyone gets wind of a spare ticket going please let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Me too, not sure how i ended up without one.

My Dad missed the "bring a friend option" on the season ticket, generally 2/3 of us are only around!!

• Advertisement

Well i said it first so screw you :P

If i get one i'll sell it to you for good price. You buy!! :D

There'll be a few floating about during the week, returns and that. Drop into the ticket office on Dorset Street, or get someone to go in for you to check it out. There'll be face value spares around town on Sunday too. You'll be at the match lads, don't worry about that. Be sure to get the Parnell Pass next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There'll be a few floating about during the week, returns and that. Drop into the ticket office on Dorset Street, or get someone to go in for you to check it out. There'll be face value spares around town on Sunday too. You'll be at the match lads, don't worry about that. Be sure to get the Parnell Pass next year.

I have a season ticket three of us split between the two, usually works out perfect with the bring a friend

Cheers though

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I have a season ticket three of us split between the two, usually works out perfect with the bring a friend

Cheers though

I have the Parnell Pass. I am going in to Dorset Street to get my ticket tomorrow. There are usually a few other queueing up at the non-Pass windows trying to get some. It'll be interesting to see if there are any there tomorrow and if they are getting any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Slattsy wrote: »
    If anyone gets wind of a spare ticket going please let me know.

Here u go slattsy

naughto wrote: »
    Here u go slattsy

Send that to the GAA. Extortion like that should not be allowed and should be brought to their attention.

Been looking on adverts.ie etc., some pathetic stuff. 2 hill tickets going for over 100 and the likes. Some people just buy them early to rip people off, no interest in going. I'll check the ticket office in Dorset St and hopefully get lucky.

When will i know when tickets are available in Dorset St?
    Im normally well sorted for tickets, this first year in a long time im off the ball.

Slattsy wrote: »
    When will i know when tickets are available in Dorset St?
    Im normally well sorted for tickets, this first year in a long time im off the ball.

I'll be in there tomorrow, so I'll ask them. Unfortunately, they don't have a phone number, so can't ring them & ask.

• Advertisement

I'll be in there tomorrow, so I'll ask them. Unfortunately, they don't have a phone number, so can't ring them & ask.

Much appreciated PD. I can leg it from work anytime :)

The club got their ticket allocation last week. Seeing as I sit at the top table occasionally I'll ask the Sec if he has any returns when he's doling them out this Thursday. Most of them are for upper cusack so vertigo sufferers are warned!

No probs. The only thing is that if the PP and season tickets are under subscribed, and more tickets become available, they will probably go on general sale. I don't think that the Dorset St office will have exclusive rights to selling them. People will probably be able to buy them in Centras, Supervalus, online on tickets.ie, as well as the Dorset St. That's my guess anyway, but I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Cheers lads, i'll buy yiz a lollipop.

Because it is not really practical for a lot of people to get to Dorset Street, a lot of Parnell Pass holders buy their tickets online or through other sources, so a lot of the actual tickets are freed up. They use their passes to get into the club matches and guarantee a final ticket, should we get there, but rarely go to Dorset Street. The Dublin County Board should have a better way of people getting their tickets. You can actually renew your pass online, but can't get the individual match tickets that way. Anyway, getting back to the point, Tuesday is usually Parnell Pass day and after that, people can buy them. So any of you that don't have a Parnell Pass might still get some tickets later in the week, even ones that are initially reserved for Parnell Pass holders. I'll be getting my ticket on Tuesday too. Hopefully I'll also have reason to go there on Tuesday the 15th of September. :)

Looks to me like all the punditry will have us as underdogs come Sunday. My only concern would be our relative lack of options off the bench...and strange to be saying this given the lads underwhelming intro to the IC game but O'Gara has been a huge force recently against Mayo..he will be sorely missed. Having played most of the year in 3rd gear and to the most part a sterile atmosphere at Croker blind optimism comes into play that the big stage and a full house will raise the performance. A Dublin team approaching anywhere near their top form will win out

• Advertisement

That's very true Flukey. I rarely buy my tickets in the the Dorset St office. I usually get them on line or in Supervalu. There is no real benefit to making the trek into the ticket office, unless you want to sit in a specific section/row to be near friends, or you just have a preference for sitting in certain areas. But the semi sold out so quickly, the tickets were all gone before I even thought about getting a ticket, so I have no choice but to head into Dorset St tomorrow. I'd imagine a lot of PP holders got similarly caught out.

I'm trying not to think about how depleted our bench is this year. For a player who took so much flak early on in his career, I think that O'Gara's loss could be very deeply felt this year.

That's very true Flukey. I rarely buy my tickets in the the Dorset St office. I usually get them on line or in Supervalu. There is no real benefit to making the trek into the ticket office, unless you want to sit in a specific section/row to be near friends, or you just have a preference for sitting in certain areas. But the semi sold out so quickly, the tickets were all gone before I even thought about getting a ticket, so I have no choice but to head into Dorset St tomorrow. I'd imagine a lot of PP holders got similarly caught out.

I have a sneaky suspicion we're gonna get lumbered with upper tier tickets .. the warmest day in Ireland can feel like an igloo up there. Must have a look thru me Winter wardrobe for an overcoat and scarf :D

I know what you mean. I was in 728 for the Galway/Tipp match. It was so bloody cold, we had to move down to the lower level at half time & scab some free seats. I'll be on the Hill on Sunday. It always hot as fcuk there, being so tightly packed in like sardines, so no need to worry about the cold. During the league and the Leinster champo games, I prefer to be in the Lr Hogan, as I likes me creature comforts & the back can't handle standing all that well. But once we head to knock out games, I prefer to be with my own kind.

Ahaaa you've a terrace PP but indulge yerself with the creature comforts of the stands most of the year?

I'm renewing on a terrace PP next year as the young fella wants to get in with the hard nutz. Ive told him of the old hill and the rivers of beer wee and the occasional warm feeling down his leg when you didn't get the billy from yer man behind that he was gonna water his shoes. Jumpers for goalposts thems were the days!

Croke Park can be very cold, especially in the upper decks. They do give you a whole different perspective on the game though, enabling you to see movements better and who's free and so on. You see tactics in action, that you can't see at ground level. So apart from sometimes being a bit cooler, it is a good place to view a match. A corner in the upper deck is better than a corner in the lower deck, that's for sure. You don't have as much of a problem of people standing up in front of you either.

That is one of the most annoying things about the lower deck: We can all see everything when everyone is sitting, but then some idiot stands up and the domino effect kicks in and you sometimes miss that crucial bit of action because someone stands up in front of you. :mad: Sometimes I think they should have safety belts on the seats and strap everyone in, so nobody can stand up. Then we'd all see the game. :) They could be on timer locks too, to stop people heading for the loos, bars and shops just before half time and blocking everyone else's view. :)

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Ahaaa you've a terrace PP but indulge yerself with the creature comforts of the stands most of the year?

I'm renewing on a terrace PP next year as the young fella wants to get in with the hard nutz. Ive told him of the old hill and the rivers of beer wee and the occasional warm feeling down his leg when you didn't get the billy from yer man behind that he was gonna water his shoes. Jumpers for goalposts thems were the days!

Yep. I can not lie. I have a soft spot for that bar area at the back of the Canal End. You can't bate sitting there on a bitterly, bitterly cold February night and warming your feet on the radiators that are at the perfect height to prop your feet on. The rows of seats in front of the windows, are usually empty, so you have a perfect view of the pitch. I do try and watch the game from my actual seat, but that is a wonderfully warm bolt hole, when Mother Nature is in an exceptionally bad mood.

The great thing about having a terrace PP terrace, is that when you go in to get your Spring Series master ticket, they'll give you a stand one if you ask for it. They know the place is gonna be 2/3 empty, so its no skin off their nose where you sit. So you get to sit in with the posh folks in the stand, but you only paid for a terrace PP. Score ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No probs. The only thing is that if the PP and season tickets are under subscribed, and more tickets become available, they will probably go on general sale. I don't think that the Dorset St office will have exclusive rights to selling them. People will probably be able to buy them in Centras, Supervalus, online on tickets.ie, as well as the Dorset St. That's my guess anyway, but I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Which makes a mockery of where some of us have been seated for the game.

I would have been better off using my opt-out and buying a general ticket.

And my daily foray into the Kerry GAA thread has left me with sore eyes from all the rolling they did.

Jeebus that shpot should be quarantined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I have the Parnell Pass. I am going in to Dorset Street to get my ticket tomorrow. There are usually a few other queueing up at the non-Pass windows trying to get some. It'll be interesting to see if there are any there tomorrow and if they are getting any.

My Da just called me to say he picked up our tickets at Dorset st,He said that there was a fare few people both with Parnell passes and others without them looking for extra/spare tickets.
    There was none available this has to be the fastest selling semi final I've ever witnessed.

I think whoever wins on Sunday the whole country will be supporting them in the final.

My Da just called me to say he picked up our tickets at Dorset st,He said that there was a fare few people both with Parnell passes and others without them looking for extra/spare tickets.
    There was none available this has to be the fastest selling semi final I've ever witnessed.

The 2013 semi was the same.

So did he get tickets or were there none available?

I think whoever wins on Sunday the whole country will be supporting them in the final.
    I don't know Mayomaffia, i was in West Clare recently and they had Kerry flags up. I don't even think they'd shout for Mayo vs Kerry there, never mind us.

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't know Mayomaffia, i was in West Clare recently and they had Kerry flags up. I don't even think they'd shout for Mayo vs Kerry there, never mind us.

They were just Kerry refugees, we even had to take a few in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

corny wrote: »
    Don't think it has anything to do with winning or losing, invariably people see what they want to see.

For what its worth i agree Mayo were slightly stronger in the first half against Dublin in 2013 and the scoreline flattered us. What you're missing though is that at the start of the second Dublin effectively took the game away from Mayo when they upped the ante. Andy Morans goal, just as poor from a Dublin perspective, put a gloss on it for Mayo. They got nothing from play and were crucified in the middle third. Dublin paced themselves far better on a warm day was my overriding memory of proceedings.

BTW the evidence would suggest Dublin are a fitter team because on both occasions Mayo have weakened first. (second half 2013, last 20 2012) Dublin upped the intensity and Mayo wilted.
    Mayo outscored Dublin in 13 so the goals were vital. Both Dublin goals were soft from a defensive point of view (althoough obviously from an offensive point of view they were well worked esp the second goal) Bastic had a hugh influence on the result for sure but Mayo sideline should have moved to counter the kick out to him from Claxton. Overall I think Mayo are more rounded and streetwise now and even more physically developed. Sunday will be very interesting and my main hope is that the winner of that game wins the AI. Mayo have every chance and Dublin are not the strong favourites the bookies odds suggest they are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement