Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Mayo outscored Dublin in 13 so the goals were vital. Both Dublin goals were soft from a defensive point of view (althoough obviously from an offensive point of view they were well worked esp the second goal) Bastic had a hugh influence on the result for sure but Mayo sideline should have moved to counter the kick out to him from Claxton. Overall I think Mayo are more rounded and streetwise now and even more physically developed. Sunday will be very interesting and my main hope is that the winner of that game wins the AI. Mayo have every chance and Dublin are not the strong favourites the bookies odds suggest they are.

There was some massive mistakes by Horan in that game. Cafferkey is still a weak point at the back, he can't jump. But Brogan is a few years older so hopefully can't jump as high either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

My Da just called me to say he picked up our tickets at Dorset st,He said that there was a fare few people both with Parnell passes and others without them looking for extra/spare tickets.
    There was none available this has to be the fastest selling semi final I've ever witnessed.
    So did he get tickets or were there none available?

I got my Parnell Pass ticket. Section 335, which is Lower Hogan, second last section, very close to the Nally. That is where I've been given them all season. On this occasion I will be very close to the back, so if it rains I should be ok, unlike last Sunday.

There were two Parnell Pass windows open and one other. I asked the girl if she expected any returns, and she said no. I think the other window is just for other reserved ticket allocations. Not sure if it was him, but a guy went to that window and asked for tickets for Alan Larkin, who is of course a member of the team in the 1970s. Another day I was in, I heard someone asking for tickets for Sean Haughey. So it appears that unless you have a Parnell Pass or a specially reserved ticket, you won't have any luck in Dorset Street. You could try later in the week though. You never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Mayo outscored Dublin in 13 so the goals were vital. Both Dublin goals were soft from a defensive point of view (althoough obviously from an offensive point of view they were well worked esp the second goal) Bastic had a hugh influence on the result for sure but Mayo sideline should have moved to counter the kick out to him from Claxton. Overall I think Mayo are more rounded and streetwise now and even more physically developed. Sunday will be very interesting and my main hope is that the winner of that game wins the AI. Mayo have every chance and Dublin are not the strong favourites the bookies odds suggest they are.

YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

There was some massive mistakes by Horan in that game. Cafferkey is still a weak point at the back, he can't jump. But Brogan is a few years older so hopefully can't jump as high either.

Caff is a player I like (and I accept he divides opinions), but he always seems to struggle against Brogan. Lot to be said for changing up and putting Cunniffe or possibly Barrett on him? Discuss! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Considering how often Mayo people dismiss Brogans two goals in 2013 as being lucky, easy, soft, flukey etc etc....it's amazing how Mayo haven't managed to score goals just like 'em in their own All Ireland finals, isn't it? If they were that easy & soft to score, you'd think that they'd be scoring a dozen of them per game.

God forbid a player with razor sharp poaching instincts & reflexes should ever get the credit that he deserves. Of course there were defensive lapses that contributed to the goals being scored, there generally are. But exploiting them, is what being a marquee forward is all about imo.

Padkir wrote: »
    Caff is a player I like (and I accept he divides opinions), but he always seems to struggle against Brogan. Lot to be said for changing up and putting Cunniffe or possibly Barrett on him? Discuss! ;-)
    Barrett is very short, I'd expect like the semi Moran will be in there for the high dropping balls. He will be needed to stop the Dub midfield rampaging through the centre creating an overlap as well.

Barrett is very short, I'd expect like the semi Moran will be in there for the high dropping balls. He will be needed to stop the Dub midfield rampaging through the centre creating an overlap as well.

Well that's possible alright, even if it's not Moran specifically there will be a big man needed for that exact role. But someone needs to be specifically man for man with Brogan too for the balls into the corner, etc. and I'm just suggesting given past performances that Caff isn't the man for the job.

Well that's possible alright, even if it's not Moran specifically there will be a big man needed for that exact role. But someone needs to be specifically man for man with Brogan too for the balls into the corner, etc. and I'm just suggesting given past performances that Caff isn't the man for the job.

Caff is too easily turned, it'll probably be Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Flukey wrote: »
    I got my Parnell Pass ticket. Section 335, which is Lower Hogan, second last section, very close to the Nally. That is where I've been given them all season. On this occasion I will be very close to the back, so if it rains I should be ok, unlike last Sunday.

There were two Parnell Pass windows open and one other. I asked the girl if she expected any returns, and she said no. I think the other window is just for other reserved ticket allocations. Not sure if it was him, but a guy went to that window and asked for tickets for Alan Larkin, who is of course a member of the team in the 1970s. Another day I was in, I heard someone asking for tickets for Sean Haughey. So it appears that unless you have a Parnell Pass or a specially reserved ticket, you won't have any luck in Dorset Street. You could try later in the week though. You never know.

Thanks for that. No use in me going in yet but I'll keep an eye out.

• Advertisement

Caff is too easily turned, it'll probably be Higgins.

Given how well Higgins tends to play in a freer role though, I'd be reluctant to tie him down to man-marking Brogan, although that might be what happens.

Anyway, better take this back to the Mayo discussion thread before we get lynched! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Given how well Higgins tends to play in a freer role though, I'd be reluctant to tie him down to man-marking Brogan,

Well he could be used better than leaving him on a man who cant run like he was on O'Gara in 2013, that will be one of our concerns on Sunday anyway, faster decisions on the line from Mayo, we suffered from it in 2012 too, its frustrating when it happens.

I think Dublin will win by somewhere between 27 and 29 points, mainly due to a bunch of soft, lucky rubbish goals that anyone would score!!! ;)

Given how well Higgins tends to play in a freer role though, I'd be reluctant to tie him down to man-marking Brogan, although that might be what happens.

Anyway, better take this back to the Mayo discussion thread before we get lynched! ;-)

No need. You can stay on in here. Us Dubs don't like to talk about ourselves in the lead up to games.

Ah no, don't go. Yer great craic. We've had great fun playing the "Keep the feckin' hype down, fer Jayzus sake lads ! " game, over the past few weeks. All the practice we got with Mayo, will come in dead handy when have to face 3 more weeks of it with Kerry. Cheers !

But before ye go....

....the all important question...

Tayto or King? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah no, don't go. Yer great craic. We've had great fun playing the "Keep the feckin' hype down, fer Jayzus sake lads ! " game, over the past few weeks. All the practice we got with Mayo, will come in dead handy when have to face 3 more weeks of it with Kerry. Cheers !

But before ye go....

Many culchies call all types of crisps "taytos"

Weirdos :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

But before ye go....

Ah jaysis yer gas ... King for me

We've exhausted our drinking palaces, ticketing problems and junk food foibles .. if yiz can't keep the ruse going we're looking at discussing the match sooner rather than later ...

• Advertisement

Weren't King the Dublin crisps ? .. (Parnell Street I remember the orange bag :rolleyes:) .. and the other lot loved their tayto ? .... I think they're both made by the same company now in Mordor .. nothings sacred anymore

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Weren't King the Dublin crisps ? .. (remembers the orange bag :rolleyes:) .. and the other lot loved their tayto ? .... I think they're both made by the same company now in Mordor .. nothings sacred anymore

They were indeed.

King were made in Inchicore in the Jamestown Ind Est and Tayto were Coolock's own (an inferior crisp) for distribution to the rest of the country.

Both are now made by Largo out in "Mordor".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ok I'll stop trying to talk about football so.

Anyway ProudDub. We are welcoming our friends from the West Of Ireland now. You need to demonstrate some more understanding of the different diet they enjoy in that part of the world.

That's Golden Wonder territory

INRRA5so_400x400.png

They were indeed.

King were made in Inchicore in the Jamestown Ind Est and Tayto were Coolock's own (an inferior crisp) for distribution to the rest of the country.

Both are now made by Largo out in "Mordor".

Them were the days ... I remember as a chungfellid, us going for the "Sunday Drive" and getting back to the Ballymun House - a bottle of TK between 3 and the big bag of King Pub Crisps (were they extra salty to keep the aul chaps guzzling I wonder ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Manhatton crisps for me.

With a pint on a Monday :)

• Advertisement

Them were the days ... I remember as a chungfellid, us going for the "Sunday Drive" and getting back to the Ballymun House - a bottle of TK between 3 and the big bag of King Pub Crisps (were they extra salty to keep the aul chaps guzzling I wonder ?)

Gone are the days where you could climb over the rail tracks in Ballyer and take a stash of King and leg it up to C&C and take a stash of TK Red also.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Manhatton crisps for me.

With a pint on a Monday :)

It's Tuesday Slatts.

My long range weather forecast for Sunday appears pretty decent actually. Only a slight chance of a shower.

My long range weather forecast for Sunday appears pretty decent actually. Only a slight chance of a shower.

How slight... I'm in 305A. Better bring the unbrilla.

Gone are the days where you could climb over the rail tracks in Ballyer and take a stash of King and leg it up to C&C and take a stash of TK Red also.

It's Tuesday Slatts.

:cool:

The lad that runs publin.ie was in Tommy's last night too.

How slight... I'm in 305A. Better bring the unbrilla.

2mil expected at 4.27pm

:cool:

The lad that runs publin.ie was in Tommy's last night too.

It's my shpot. I can't be having the great unwashed hipsters from Stoneybatter taking over.

It's my shpot. I can't be having the great unwashed hipsters from Stoneybatter taking over.

Reported.

Slander.

It's true though. The Stoneybatter ratio of man buns to the short back and sides that yer mammy, God and nature intended you to have, is probably the worst in the country. Terrible carry on altogether ! :rolleyes:

Thinks about cycling into town to collect PP ticket.

.....looks out window....

....fecks sake....its supposed to be shaggin August !!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

C'mere to me Herr Docta, did the Ballyer do double duty as The Pappin in Love/Hate? It's been bugging me. I knew that I recognized it from some where, but it only just dawned on me there, when the mother mentioned the trips to the great fish shop that used to be there beside Shaws, back in the day. We Glasnevin snobs deemed it worthy of a visit for our Friday fish, despite the rather...eh....interesting.....locals. :p

C'mere to me Herr Docta, did the Ballyer do double duty at The Pappin in Love/Hate? It's been bugging me. I knew that I recognized it from some where, but it only just dawned on me there, when the mother mentioned the trips to the great fish shop that used to be there beside Shaws, back in the day. We Glasnevin snobs deemed it worthy of a visit for our Friday fish, despite the rather...eh....interesting.....locals. :p

The Cottage (Lord rest it) in Bluebell did the double for it.

The interior or the exterior? Coz the over head exterior shots have a Supervalu just beside it and there really is a Supervalu just beside the Ballyer.

• Advertisement

The interior or the exterior? Coz the over head exterior shots have a Supervalu just beside it and there really is a Supervalu just beside the Ballyer.

Interior from what I remember. I haven't seen anything of L/H since season 3 so I could be leading you up the path.

It's true though. The Stoneybatter radio of man buns to the short back and sides that yer mammy, God and nature intended you to have, is probably the worst in the country. Terrible carry on altogether ! :rolleyes:

Ah here, the rain won't do you any harm. You'll have our country cousins laughing at us. I didn't melt when it started on me in town today. If it rains on Sunday, will you stay at home? Now get off your ass, and go get that ticket. We need you on Sunday.:)

.........C'mere to me Herr Docta, did the Ballyer do double duty as The Pappin in Love/Hate? It's been bugging me. I knew that I recognized it from some where, but it only just dawned on me there, when the mother mentioned the trips to the great fish shop that used to be there beside Shaws, back in the day. We Glasnevin snobs deemed it worthy of a visit for our Friday fish, despite the rather...eh....interesting.....locals. :p

Ah yer thinkin of either the Towers or Penthouse in the shopping centre ? .. Ballymun House is now The Willows on Willow Park (which strangely seems to have crept into Glasnevin) howdafuq did that happen ? I lived up da road from Bono - used to laugh at him in his "Bowling for Columbine" black trenchcoat ... wonder whose laughing now ? :rolleyes:
    Interior from what I remember. I haven't seen anything of L/H since season 3 so I could be leading you up the path.

Everyone tells me that I'd really enjoy L/H .. hand on heart I haven't seen a single episode

Right we need to get this straight:

Ballyer=Ballyfermot, the cesspool from whence I came from

The Mun=Ballymun, Northside, near the airport. Cause of my first driving test failure.

Right we need to get this straight:

Ballyer=Ballyfermot, the cesspool from whence I came from

The Mun=Ballymun, Northside, near the airport. Cause of my first driving test failure.

Don't tell me you stopped on red .. no one stops on red in da Mun :pac:

But before ye go....

Tayto!

Don't tell me you stopped on red .. no one stops on red in da Mun :pac:

The whole Finglas route is a ****show.

I've never seen any more than 10 minutes of Love/Hate - i thought it was crap tbh.

I've also only been on the Luas twice.

And i dont know what a tracker mortgage is.

I've never seen any more than 10 minutes of Love/Hate - i thought it was crap tbh.

I've also only been on the Luas twice.

And i dont know what a tracker mortgage is.

I was on the Luas twice today, to go in to get my ticket and to get home. I'll be on it twice on Sunday too, hopefully in a good mood coming home, and not just from having a few pints.biggrin.png On neither journey today did I hear anyone mention tracker mortgages. I think it is only people on buses that don't know what a tracker mortgage is. :confused:

• Advertisement

I think if the script writers rode the Connolly to Heuston Luas they'd had more than enough material for an episode of Love/Hate. Between the unfortunates getting on from the Methadone Clinic and those heading up for a visit with the judiciary it's a fly on the wall type experience.

Oh yes, that section of the Red Line can be quite interesting. Of course some of the "characters" travel out a lot further than that, so some journeys can be quite "entertaining". Still, going in on a match day is more fun. I look forward to the journey in on Sunday. :)

Ta mo Hill 16 ticead safely i mo phocha. Rahoo, rahoo, rahoo.... :D:D:D

Was told the same thing at the ticket office today. Game is sold out.

I've never been to Burdocks chipper.

I've never been to the Hellfire Club

I've no idea where Walkinstown, Drimnagh or Kimmage are.

Goes and stands in corner....

Ta mo Hill 16 ticead safely i mo phocha. Rahoo, rahoo, rahoo.... :D:D:D

Was told the same thing at the ticket office today. Game is sold out.

I've never been to Burdocks chipper.

I've never been to the Hellfire Club

I've no idea where Walkinstown, Drimnagh or Kimmage are.

Goes and stands in corner....

And that's why you're in the Hill like the brat you are.

Beshoffs all the way baby.

Their scampi & chips are totes divine dahling ! :D

I've also never spent a rainy summer in a caravan, in either one of Bettystown, Courtown or Laytown.

Oh God, am I even a Dub at all? :confused::confused::confused:

Beshoffs all the way baby.

Their scampi & chips are totes divine dahling ! :D

I've also never spent a rainy summer in a caravan, in either one of Bettystown, Courtown or Laytown.

Oh God, am I even a Dub at all? :confused::confused::confused:

We're starting to doubt it now.

Did ya even manage Rush or Brittas?

Do you know all the words to Molly Malone?

Myself and Slattsy will have to review your credentials. The Docta will see you now.

• Advertisement

Brittas? Yep, I'm down with Brittas.

I also still have whiplash from all the summers spent on the dodgems in Bray.

And of course I know all the words to Molly Malone. What a silly question !

All together now...

Raised on songs and stories....heros of renown...

So, am I back in? :D

Great interview with General Backflip Basticus.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/denis-bastick-believes-experience-is-a-major-asset-for-dublin-1.2328332

I loved how he described all the battered and bruised bodies after the 2013 final. I heard that things were so bad, the Dubs physios and medics had to scab crutches and ice packs from the St John Ambulance crew, just so that half the team could make it onto the feckin bus. Brilliant !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

What do we reckon lads? I wouldn't mind Kev Mc in for Rock, means we're down a free taker but he doesn't do enough from play for me. Other question is does MDMA come back in for Bastick? Maybe even drop Rock for him and move one of the big lads to #11. Mayo are big in midfield whereas ours isn't our most convincing area. Unlikely but it might he needed. Rest of the team picks itself.

Get to grips on AOS and COC inside, keep an eye on Keegan's runs forward and we'll be doing well. The rest of the Mayo team doesn't frighten me granted we win our share around the middle.

Damnit shouldn't have opened me blowhole, I'm upstairs Sunday - I hear voices all the time up there telling me you're gonna topple over down below. I played darts to a reasonably high standard a few years ago, the oiled arm and inner peace was generally achieved after 3-4 pints it's something I haven't been able to find in the Upper Cusack as of yet :pac:

What do we reckon lads? I wouldn't mind Kev Mc in for Rock, means we're down a free taker but he doesn't do enough from play for me. Other question is does MDMA come back in for Bastick? Maybe even drop Rock for him and move one of the big lads to #11. Mayo are big in midfield whereas ours isn't our most convincing area. Unlikely but it might he needed. Rest of the team picks itself.

Get to grips on AOS and COC inside, keep an eye on Keegan's runs forward and we'll be doing well. The rest of the Mayo team doesn't frighten me granted we win our share around the middle.

I haveta say I wouldn't be one for dropping Rock, ask Tyrone - there's a certain comfort in having a capable free taker. I may have read the signs incorrectly but I don't think Mayo will go man for man as they'll be overwhelmed by the angled running. I think we saw a glimpse of Mayos intention 2nd half in Castlebar where they withdrew the bulk of the team into their own half, it wouldn't surprise me in the least them playing a double sweeper.

We've seen the bruhaa before regards the positioning of AOS on the HF line and he was completely snuffed out. His move to the FF line puts him another 30 yards deeper so the supply ball into him will have to be contested by us pushing up on the brother or Parsons. Mayo are an excellent team whose best performances (unfortunately for them) have come at the SF stage. I'd expect nothing less this time either from them, their application and vigour has never been in question.

The end of the Fermanagh game seems to have taken some of the wind out of the sails - and in fairness they did seem a little flustered. There has to be a reasonable concern with regards to our own wellbeing - the likes of MDM and Flynn haven't reached championship pitch as yet. The bigger concern is MDM as he'll likely be tasked with SOS, and he has the better of him if he's at it - otherwise the supply into the brother is gonna be a big problem. There was also signs of the old habits coming back in the Fermanagh game, Phillys walkabouts by accident or design show that while the defensive side including the communication is working really well, they are still prone to lapses.

You come across as a knob if you start making outlandish statements of what you think might transpire - but I honestly believe that we'll cause them more problems than they'll cause us - I just hope it's reflected on the scoreboard ;) Ta

Afterthought - I personally believe it's a twee sentiment to hope one team beats another once yer out of the competition. If Mayo win I'd wish them all the best, but I couldn't really give a stuff who wins once we're gone. The thinking that perennial losers have to have their day in the sun doesn't cut it with me - much like the fella that throws money into a fruit machine thinking they have to win some time. Sport is littered with the nearly men or teams, if Mayo are good enough they'll win it without the wishful hopes of those Mills & Boon romantics /rant

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement