Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Burger King or McDonalds? (We'll leave Supermacs, Eddie Rockets and the like out for the moment, keeping it simple. In the meantime you can be thinking about Big Mac or Whopper.)

Just saw this:
    At the 13th minute on Sunday....Croke Park will rise and applaud for a young man who tragically lost his life this week. He wore Number 13 for the Mayo Minors and scored 1-02 in the All Ireland Final before collecting his All Ireland Medal.
    RIP Darragh.
    Spread the word. SHARE.
    ‪#‎13thMinuteApplause‬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yeah seen that on twitter - will be a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The 2013 semi was the same.

I remember the 2013 semi being sold out all right but I don't remember it selling as fast as this one, The reason been I had to get extra tickets for friends both for the hill and stands.
    And had no problems in getting them this time round there was only the upper tiers and Nally left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

So did he get tickets or were there none available?

He only got the 3 allocated to him with the 3 Parnell pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Overall if we lose we lose.
    I'm not writing any more negative stuff now. Bastic can hold his own. Flynn is a great footballer who has peaked late most years its a trick many good players have

MDMAs the same, if its not our year it will because these lads didn't peak.

I have a feeling McCaffery will show Keegan what our halfback line has to offer.

I wouldn't change Rock either. I would start Andrews. McManamon would be a used sub with A Brogan.

Keegan bombing forward is great to watch, but he'll be leaving the best half forward line playing non blanket ball he's met in the championship so far behind him, that will play on his mind he'll have to show he can be a bit more like Lacey when deciding when to get forward.
    I hope our halfback line will hit him hard for turnovers if he decides to be over offensive.

AOS can score goals but so can we. We'll need a plan for him but I think it will involve shared awareness more than drastic changes. As corny said we have our game to play, Mayo are the ones that have to prove they are good enough to kick on now not this Dublin team, or Kerry.

Cluxton hasnt taken frees all year so Rock has to start, plus as stated hes scoring goals and offers some physicality in there.

Cooper will have to get out ahead of his man.

O'Sullivan will have to dig deep and win ball Peter Canavan style. I'm sick of people calling him a sweeper.

AOS behind him and not running at him will suit him. Lets not forget we've played AOS before and he caused problems at midfield, Parsons tackling is excellent but he can't break a tackle like AOS, not sure how he'd handle MDMA running at him either another beast on the move that AOS has helped keep quiet in the past.

McCarthy will have to test a shoulder or two, he's well rested this year and another that can get forward fast.

I hope Deveraux is going well too as I think he will be good off the bench, he's an excellent player imo.

I trust ROC he'll need help but I think McMahon is a smart footballer well coached by P Christy.

When I jotted down all the players we have my confidence grew. Sure we will miss O'Gara and Brennan for this game.

But Mayo have a lot to worry about. They are a big team people keep saying they are fitter and bigger than before, they are not really, maybe COC is. Some of their new lads are big but really only Parsons is new we've seen the Keane and Barry Moran show before.

If Mayo play all those lads they will be physically very big but they'd want to hang on to the ball as they'll be coughing up serious mobility as a consequence and we are best placed to punish that.

Connelly dominated the men on him the last time we played, if he hits form it will be good news he paces himself very well these days.

Mayo have a lot going for them, but I'd put money that Kerry would rather play Mayo than Dublin.

We've the same basis of the team that out Donegalled Donegal and out Tyroned Tyrone four years ago, we can play an won an all Ireland playing defensive football and another playing open football that seems to have escaped many these days, just because Gavin was extremely stubborn last year against Donegal all of a sudden we are one dimensional, we will only be that way if he sets us up that way. It's up to him to show something else, but the players have shown they are adaptable.

Gilroy doesn't get the credit he deserves for smashing a plan and building a team from scratch. That team is still largely there and well capable of beating Mayo.

Expecting a great game. There will be some suspensions carried forward to the final by the winner, they should be lifted too since all the other ones were and we might as well be consistently crazy.

DoctaDee wrote:
    You come across as a knob if you start making outlandish statements of what you think might transpire - but I honestly believe that we'll cause them more problems than they'll cause us - I just hope it's reflected on the scoreboard Ta

But If you dont make them they'll just say you did anyway and you've been called worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Slattsy wrote: »
    Yeah seen that on twitter - will be a nice touch.

Will it? Find it a little too contrived personally.

Moments silence before the game to pay respects and honour the lads memory will do for me.

corny wrote: »
    Will it? Find it a little too contrived personally.

Moments silence before the game to pay respects and honour the lads memory will do for me.

Something similar was done this year in the 16th minute of the match against Kildare for Alan and Steve Harris. We can be certain that there will be a minute's silence beforehand, but this would be a nice touch.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Mayo outscored Dublin in 13 so the goals were vital. Both Dublin goals were soft from a defensive point of view (althoough obviously from an offensive point of view they were well worked esp the second goal) Bastic had a hugh influence on the result for sure but Mayo sideline should have moved to counter the kick out to him from Claxton. Overall I think Mayo are more rounded and streetwise now and even more physically developed. Sunday will be very interesting and my main hope is that the winner of that game wins the AI. Mayo have every chance and Dublin are not the strong favourites the bookies odds suggest they are.

I re watched that game in 2013. Wasn't a very good game. Both sides did reasonably well at stopping the other team. Dublin turned over possession to the Mayo half backs in the first half and Mayo did the exact same in the second. Overall it was an open game of attrition, where both sides worked tirelessly up and down the pitch.

Imo both sides will look for far more structure and control of the game this time around.

For Dublin? I'm full sure Gavins admission last year meant something to him. It won't be left to overwhelming the opposition again, even though i still think they're capable of that. I'm expecting something different from them on Sunday. They've had no need to tip their hand all season.

For Mayo? Dublin dished out a few harsh lessons to them that day, lessons they've no doubt analysed. Chief among them will be how Cluxton was able to launch the ball 60 metres every time to set up attack after attack. Ger Brennans point is case in point.

Dublin are justifiably favs for me but there's a lot riding on the 'gameplan' for both teams. I'm just thankful i'll actually see a ****ing contest involving Dublin. Been torture watching one sided games all season.
    DoctaDee wrote: »
    Afterthought - I personally believe it's a twee sentiment to hope one team beats another once yer out of the competition. If Mayo win I'd wish them all the best, but I couldn't really give a stuff who wins once we're gone. The thinking that perennial losers have to have their day in the sun doesn't cut it with me - much like the fella that throws money into a fruit machine thinking they have to win some time. Sport is littered with the nearly men or teams, if Mayo are good enough they'll win it without the wishful hopes of those Mills & Boon romantics /rant

I'd have a similar view but i do respect, even admire, the work ethic of Mayo lads. Can't be easy picking yourself up off the floor every year. I'd be up for them.;)

• Advertisement

Still no sign of a ticket. Might just wander in on Sunday to a few pubs and see what happens.

Anyway. Too early for predictions?

We are always labelled cocky by every other county and its a bit unfair.
    Yeah we're better looking and we take all their wimmin when we go on stags, yeah we dress and smell better and have nice haircuts, we dance better, have the best colleges, jobs etc, restaurants, proper public transport and the best looking females are in Dublin too, but cocky we are not. Luckily i dont take it to heart.

Dublin by 7/8 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Still no sign of a ticket. Might just wander in on Sunday to a few pubs and see what happens.

Yeah we're better looking and we take all their wimmin when we go on stags, yeah we dress and smell better and have nice haircuts, we dance better, have the best colleges, jobs etc, restaurants, proper public transport and the best looking females are in Dublin too, but cocky we are not. Luckily i dont take it to heart.

Dublin by 7/8 points.

And the best pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Dublin by 7/8 points.
    is that the number of pints you will drink before the game slattsy cos it sure as hell will not be the full time score on sunday .
    would you like to put a wager on it(you are the same slattsy that posts in the horse racing thread right)

Mayo team announced last night, no real changes. Looks like they'll stick to the sweeper system like they did against Donegal.

When is the Dubs team out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Mayo team announced last night, no real changes. Looks like they'll stick to the sweeper system like they did against Donegal.

When is the Dubs team out?
    Around 9.15 tamarra night Slatts

Cool, i've got 24 hours to try force my way in. Isnt it great we've such talent waiting in the wings.

If they do split Dublin up, i'd like a Dublin based Boards.ie team too.

Well of you don't do it this year Slattsy with O'Gara missing you can forget it for next year.

i'd have my eye on Rocks spot tbh, put myself about a bit more than him yet still match his dead ball skills. I scored from a corner once !! :)

i'd have my eye on Rocks spot tbh, put myself about a bit more than him yet still match his dead ball skills. I scored from a corner once !! :)

Wrong sport.

• Advertisement

I was just pointing out my accuracy from a dead ball situation !!

I was just pointing out my accuracy from a dead ball situation !!

Almost Stephen O'Neill-esque.

*fawns over 2009 league match*

And this for good measure...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=15&v=P3cdgZqkIlI

BonnieSituation, Slattsy probably just means from a corner of the large or small square. :) So come on Slattsy, tell us more. Did you do it standing on your head, with both arms tied behind your back, blindfolded, in a force 9 gale with a beach ball?:p

They were talking about the match on OTB last night and again this morning on Morning Ireland.

I had to stop listening. My calm exterior not talking about the game belies the fear that's creeping up on me the closer Sunday gets.

---

Anyway, in talking about the match they had James Horan and David Brady on OTB and Spillane on Morning Ireland.

The analysis and discussion could not have been more at odds with each other.

Horan talking about prep and the placement of Lee Keegan and how certain players roles have changed since when he took over or encountered players under-age. As an aside, it's no secret that I really like Horan and his analysis and tbh I would have liken to have seen him win an All-Ireland with Mayo. Strikes me that he's gonna be the "Pillar" of the eventual Mayo victory over the coming years.

But over on Morning Ireland, Pat the Man was spouting about how these are two teams that play "futbal" with "intinsity" and don't play with a "blanket defence".

He was also critical of the "Dublin meeja" who bigged up the team last year. Christ alive. I love when I go to games because I miss out on this crap in the studio.

RTÉ need to overhaul their line-up bigtime.

Yeah i heard the OFT ball piece alright. Nothing surprising from Horan. I dont mind him either tbh.

And Spillane is Spillane, more of a clown than Brolly in my eyes.

Is D O'Shea the only 'pundit' that has tipped Dublin to win? Great being the underdog :)

Horan talking about prep and the placement of Lee Keegan and how certain players roles have changed since when he took over or encountered players under-age. As an aside, it's no secret that I really like Horan and his analysis and tbh I would have liken to have seen him win an All-Ireland with Mayo. Strikes me that he's gonna be the "Pillar" of the eventual Mayo victory over the coming years.

Yeah I think he's a top football man too.
    Thought he handled McGuinness very well in their spat leading up to 2013.

He brought mayo to a new level wrt intensity and toughness. In that regard he was more of a Gilroy, tactically anyway, but I could see the Pillar comparison too alright.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Yeah I think he's a top football man too.
    Thought he handled McGuinness very well in their spat leading up to 2013.

He brought mayo to a new level wrt intensity and toughness. In that regard he was more of a Gilroy, tactically anyway, but I could see the Pillar comparison too alright.

Gilroy tactically but Pillar in the sense he's the lad who let them move to the next level.

I was thinking how brilliant it would be to see a proper Dublin v Mayo rivalry develop. Constantly at each other year after year. I would love that. Banter would be ninety.

Spillane was also saying how good last Sunday's match was. He wasn't far short of saying that it wasn't puke football. I didn't hear what was said on Off the Ball, but pundits will always differ. Kevin McStay tipped Mayo on the earlier sports bulletin on Morning Ireland, while Spillane talked up Mayo, but still tipped Dublin.

He was also critical of the "Dublin meeja" who bigged up the team last year. ..............

Last year was the one year that imo you couldn't use that stick to beat the Dublin team with. Look we all know it ended in a well deserved victory for Donegal, but the hard facts of the games leading up to their failure in the semi were there for all to see

6 points and a man down to Mayo with 10 odd mins to go - they draw and with Jack Mc's last kick could've won

8 points down to Cork at HT in the league semi - they win by 7

They caned Derry in the league final

They win their 4 games leading to the Donegal SF by margins of 11-17 points

In all seriousness .. what wasn't to big up ?

Last year was the one year that imo you couldn't use that stick to beat the Dublin team with. Look we all know it ended in a well deserved victory for Donegal, but the hard facts of the games leading up to their failure in the semi were there for all to see

6 points and a man down to Mayo with 10 odd mins to go - they draw and with Jack Mc's last kick could've won

I'd say even the Donegal lads believed it after the first 15-20 minutes.

You're right.

My recollection last year was everything was based on a sort of logic as to how dominating we were.

I recall how even Spillane couldn't see anyone but Dublin win the All-Ireland. Eugh.

• Advertisement

There's a picture taken by that Eircom "find yourself in the crowd" camera and there's my mate beside me from Tyrone who I am conversing with about the game and my (now ex) gf who is from Donegal looking worried and my brother beside her looking bored.

I specifically remember the moment after 15min when I turned to him and said "I'm calling it". It was around that time that the photo was taken.

Little did we know...

.. and that is true. There was one Donegal poster prior to the game that felt they'd win .. everyone else was just looking to them putting in a good performance .."they owe us nothing" etc. In the end the winners write the history as they say - but that shouldn't take from what upto that point was a fantastic season both in terms of the results and most telling their performances - it's easy for those that want to ridicule in defeat but few if any of them saw that defeat coming

There's a picture taken by that Eircom "find yourself in the crowd" camera and there's my mate beside me from Tyrone who I am conversing with about the game and my (now ex) gf who is from Donegal looking worried and my brother beside her looking bored.

I specifically remember the moment after 15min when I turned to him and said "I'm calling it". It was around that time that the photo was taken.

Little did we know...

Remember after McMahons point having a similar conversation with a friend. Went something like 'how the **** do you stop that'?........ Answer....... score a few goals!

Little did we know...

Ha .. that reminds me of the face in the crowd during Dublin/Kerry 2013. The pic was taken right after Donnacadh Walsh's 2nd goal with the scoreboard at 2-2 to 0-3 .. herself got great joy looking at us in the pic

Remember after McMahons point having a similar conversation with a friend. Went something like 'how the **** do you stop that'?........ Answer....... score a few goals!

That sounds awfully familiar to when I said and what I said. ha.

Ha .. that reminds me of the face in the crowd during Dublin/Kerry 2013. The pic was taken right after Donnacadh Walsh's 2nd goal with the scoreboard at 2-2 to 0-3 .. herself got great joy looking at us in the pic

I never got to see that pic. I wish they kept them up.

I never got to see that pic. I wish they kept them up.

:o .. Can't remember where I was

Ah yes... how did you manage to find that? I can't remember where I was now... I think I looked at this and my brother was obscured.

*roots out tickets*

Time to go to Tommy's. See ya there Slattsy.

Time to go to Tommy's. See ya there Slattsy.

Taking a half day??

On the dry tonight, in a social sense, but i'll probably go to Tommy's for the soccerball tomorrow.

Might go to Ryan's afterwards and have a pint, which i full expect to be bitter and watery!!! :P

• Advertisement

First time seeing that. Jesus i had great seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I always look utterly constipated - from fear - in those pix, regardless what is happening or what the score is. :(

First time seeing that. Jesus i had great seats.

Still can't remember where I was ... I know I wasn't in the Hogan or on the Hill .. I'm trying to visualise the perspective I had on Kev Mc's goal.... anyone know a regressive hypnotist ? :rolleyes:

Plenty more where that came from Dermo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

FYI

The Dubs: The Story RTE 2 Saturday 29th August 2015 21.00

Fly on the wall documentary following Paul Pilar Caffrey's Dublin team as they attempt to win the Sam Maguire for the first time since 1995.

Paddy Andrews in for Kev Mc .. Bastick & Fenton midfield

a2ba07d9487ca12278a670dd35d463d1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Paddy Andrews in for Kev Mc .. Bastick & Fenton midfield

a2ba07d9487ca12278a670dd35d463d1.png

MDMA In for, I'd guess, Fenton on the day.
    Solid team that is going to take us to the final.

I know he's left out quite a bit this summer but i'd be astonished if MDM doesn't start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So would I. I can see that team starting, with MDMA in for Bastic. Bastic is great to be bringing on for the last 20 minutes, not to start. I'm really happy for Paddy Andrews. One of the great unsung heros of 2013.

• Advertisement

If that team starts we were more or less correct Andrews starting rock starting.
    MDMA to finish the game I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement