Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Someone over on ResDubs saying O Connor gave ROC a good whack, lets hope its highlighted, if hes not there its a massive blow for Mayo.

Poor second half, Flynns glory shot near the end annoyed me no end.

I was in the hill and the incident happened on my end. I missed it but judging by the reactions (dubs defenders were raging, Cillian looked a bit guilty) there was something a bit fishy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Someone over on ResDubs saying O Connor gave ROC a good whack, lets hope its highlighted, if hes not there its a massive blow for Mayo.

Poor second half, Flynns glory shot near the end annoyed me no end.

If he did that damage with a punch he should get a serious ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

keane2097 wrote: »
    If he did that damage with a punch he should get a serious ban

If its not discussed on the Sunday Game itll be brushed under the carpet. I actually tweeted them about it (sad i know).

For all the moaning about Dublins fouling today a Dublin player required 10 stitches after an off the ball clash

If its not discussed on the Sunday Game itll be brushed under the carpet. I actually tweeted them about it (sad i know).

For all the moaning about Dublins fouling today a Dublin player required 10 stitches after an off the ball clash

Its true, it sounds like Dublin got away with murder and I well believe it but Mayo weren't angels. Thought AOS got away with a few cynical drag downs and ROC went off in a pool of blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Good game to have under your belt. Dublin should win the replay and this will leave you in much better stead to play Kerry. If you had have won that and went into the final you would have been totally undercooked and walking into an ambush.

Perhaps this week Dublin might do a wee bit of work on the tackle? As bad as Cavan at it today.

Agreed. Someone need also tell them to shut their mouths to the referee. Far too much moaning going on today.

Can't believe how poor both sides were. I'm watching a replay here of Joe Brolly talking about how Mayo found themselves when they start driving at Dublin. Thats true but ffs thats Dublins game too. Where is it? All this work on a defensive game is costing us. I'll stick to what i thought beforehand COS is wasted as a sweeper. Any fool can loiter in front of defenders. Not every player has O' Sullivans physical gifts or football ability. The gameplan effectively makes him a passenger as an attacking force. Put him in midfield with Fenton.

Mayo? They are superb in the tackle and as always their desire is never in question. Their forwards are piss poor though and in truth they stumbled back into the game. Dublin were shocking in the last 10 and it was all down to complacency and a negative mindset. From 50 to 60 they were running from all angles at Mayo. They just stopped in order to kill the game.

Joe Mc i'm sure will get a lot of stick. I've no great issue with his performance. He did his best to work the draw mind you but overall i thought he did a good job.

I see Dermo was ****ing shafted again today. Keegan went looking for him. Dragged him to the ground in a headlock and got away with it. Reputation and the work of a Mayo player on the linesman conspired against him.

Dublin should win the replay because Mayo just don't carry enough threat but (not taking Mayo for granted at all) if they continue with Paul Flynn playing left half back, COS as a passenger, and ONLY Jack McCaffrey willing to work his bollox off up and down the pitch they will lose to Kerry anyway. They are just not good enough at stifling the opposition. Abandoning the attacking fluency to mimic the Donegals of this world makes us an inferior imo.

Lots of change needed IMO. Frees aren't enough if you're doing nothing from play - Rock out for Kev. MDMA out for Bastick, no brainer. Funnily enough 2 guys who might pick up bans - Cooper and Philly, aren't necessarily needed. Mick Fitz was very good as was Small. Fitz actually knows how to defend and doesn't pretend to be an attacker. Hopefully ROC is healthy but Connolly is a loss even though he wasn't great today.

Lots of change needed IMO. Frees aren't enough if you're doing nothing from play - Rock out for Kev. MDMA out for Bastick, no brainer. Funnily enough 2 guys who might pick up bans - Cooper and Philly, aren't necessarily needed. Mick Fitz was very good as was Small. Fitz actually knows how to defend and doesn't pretend to be an attacker. Hopefully ROC is healthy but Connolly is a loss even though he wasn't great today.

Could be the end of ROC, remember him sayng one more concussion and that was it for him

Could be the end of ROC, remember him sayng one more concussion and that was it for him

That would be a disaster but yes I remember reading that, he's the only starter who knows how to defend. Cooper and McMahon are more interested in going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Good Jesus.

That was some game. In many ways.

I'm gonna rewatcg it later cos my sears were shocking (Row A).

I think the draw overall was the right result.

Hard to look at the ref at all for either side. Can't understand the approbrium towards him. If ya can't score from play (Mayo) or ya can't close out a 7 point lead (Dublin) then ya don't deserve to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The 2 black cards really changed the game today.

The first one in our favour and the second swung the game against us.

MDM was woeful today. We really picked up when he went off for Bastic.

Bastics black card was ludicrous and gave Mayo a stranglehold on the game.

What happened to Cluxton in thise last 10 minutes? He completely lost the plot and bery nearly cost us the game. Very strange as I haven't seen that from him in a long time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

A peculiar mixture of relief and annoyance.

Relief that we're still in.

Annoyance that we let Mayo off the hook through either through complacency or over confidence or a mixture of both. 7 Points up with less than 10 minutes to play. No excuses.

I'd no idea RO'C was stitched up. I knew it was bad but wasnt sure it ws that bad.

I'd say Gavin will let fly at them this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

JRant wrote: »
    The 2 black cards really changed the game today.

The first one in our favour and the second swung the game against us.

MDM was woeful today. We really picked up when he went off for Bastic.

Bastics black card was ludicrous and gave Mayo a stranglehold on the game.

What happened to Cluxton in thise last 10 minutes? He completely lost the plot and bery nearly cost us the game. Very strange as I haven't seen that from him in a long time.

It was obvious to anyone that he wasnt up to it today. He just didnt look right.

Cluxton was awful. The chance he gave away at the end that almost cost a goal was laughable. You'd get a rollicking if you did that in a junior 12 game.

It was obvious to anyone that he wasnt up to it today. He just didnt look right.

Cluxton was awful. The chance he gave away at the end that almost cost a goal was laughable. You'd get a rollicking if you did that in a junior 12 game.

MDM brought the art of running around like a headless chicken fouling people to a whole new level.

Cluxton reminded of those brainfarts he was prone to in the 00's, especially when playing Tyrone. Still have nightmares about that one particular semi against them where he almost single handed threw the game away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Well that was disappointing - a game we should've won at a canter, we ended happy with a draw - it would've been a travesty to have lost tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm still not able to wrap my head around what happened today. I mean WHAT THE ACTUAL FCUK ????? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm really disappointed with the lads today. Some of the cynical carry on was a disgrace, frankly. Gavin's words all these years about "playing the right way" ring very hollow now.

On a positive note, Kilkenny was an absolute joy to watch today, in the first half especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'm glad it was a draw in the end after that display, so hopefully another match before meeting Kerry will stand to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Talking to two big Kerry supporters earlier and them saying this is what we needed, a wake up call!!! They'd have preferred a 7 point win for either side would be better. Hopefully we re group and deliver!!!

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed with the lads today. Some of the cynical carry on was a disgrace, frankly. Gavin's words all these years about "playing the right way" ring very hollow now.

On a positive note, Kilkenny was an absolute joy to watch today, in the first half especially.

Well when you have one of your players taken off the ball in the first few minutes and no action by the officals it sets the tone for the rest of the game.

By the way I'd say we were sloppy in the tackle area today, more so than cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A pox on them I had a fiver on Connolly to score first goal and Dublin to win, someone owes me fifty big ones, looks like homemade sangwiches all week for salmocab in work

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Talking to two big Kerry supporters earlier and them saying this is what we needed, a wake up call!!! They'd have preferred a 7 point win for either side would be better. Hopefully we re group and deliver!!!

Kerry boys will be licking their chops. As poor as we were at least there was some threat in open play .. there is very little positives in that Mayo front 6. I think we've hit the wall with paralysis by analysis in this current season - it was clear as the nose on yer face that they're a better team than Mayo but are hindered in fully expressing themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Kerry boys will be licking their chops. As poor as we were at least there was some threat in open play .. there is very little positives in that Mayo front 6. I think we've hit the wall with paralysis by analysis in this current season - it was clear as the nose on yer face that they're a better team than Mayo but are hindered in fully expressing themselves.

I reckon we should win next week but thats at 6 days remove, last week I was confident but this morning I was well nervous. Obvious enough but if we are were we think we are then we need to be winning these games.

Did anyone actually see the ROC incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Thought the ref def favoured Mayo. He was poor overall but we got the brunt of it for sure.

Been saying it for a while now, MDmc is finished. Absolutely useless.
    Thought Philly Mc was out of order. We were called cynical in match thread, among other things, but I think he was the only one at it. Cooper made one silly tackle.

Almost too much focus on defense today. We had to tighten up but I think Gavin has over done it.

We'll miss Connolly. I assume he threw a dig or someone thought he did anyway. Was hoping Flynn would step up, he did ok but he's better than that and really needs to get points on the board instead of always looking for the Hollywood balls.

Got tickets for the replay there. Wasn't missing that.

My da spoke to a good few from that end, said there is consensus and it was definitly O Connor, no agreement on if it was a first or an elbow

Did anyone actually see the ROC incident?

Nah I was too high up to give any objective view of the incident - but I'll tell ya one thing, I've always liked Philly as a footballer but he has huge respect from me for the defensive performance he put in today ... I was astonished how well he played AOS

Nah I was too high up to give any objective view of the incident - but I'll tell ya one thing, I've always liked Philly as a footballer but he has huge respect from me for the defensive performance he put in today ... I was astonished how well he played AOS

Funny, he has no respect from me. Another thuggish performance, saw the headbutt (although it was half arsed) and supposedly he threw a few punches during the foul for the mayo penalty. It completely tainted a good performance, done with defending him.

I'm not going to defend Philly as such. BUT when you see O'Connor swing his elbow at Rory, (which I did, as it happened right in front of me) and he has to leave the field concussed & bleeding from a head wound that needs 10 stitches, BUT SWEET EFF ALL HAPPENS TO O'CONNOR, EVEN THOUGH IT HAPPENED RIGHT IN FRONT OF TWO UMPIRES......well, you'll forgive me if I fail to join in the Phily McMahon witch hunt ! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

I wasn't happy with the ref, but that was through blue tinted glasses. The amount of mouthing off those lads did during the match was a joke. The ref continually penalised them the ten yards, and they still kept at it.

Philly's defending was magnificent. I'd didn't see the headbutt (yet- TSG has just started),so I'll reserve judgement. The game today (other than injuries) can only do us good. If we'd won that by 10 points, Kerry would have murdered us.

Roll on next week.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm not going to defend Philly as such. BUT when you see O'Connor swing his elbow at Rory, (which I did, as it happened right in front of me) and he has to leave the field concussed & bleeding from a head wound that needs 10 stitches, BUT SWEET EFF ALL HAPPENS TO O'CONNOR, EVEN THOUGH IT HAPPENED RIGHT IN FRONT OF TWO UMPIRES......well you'll forgive me if I fail to join in the Phily McMahon witch hunt ! :mad:

Something like that sets the tone of the game

The umpires are absolutely useless

• Advertisement

Something like that sets the tone of the game

The umpires are absolutely useless

Umpires are just the refs mates up for a free dinner and a few pints. Worse than useless.

I'm not going to defend Philly as such. BUT when you see O'Connor swing his elbow at Rory, (which I did, as it happened right in front of me) and he has to leave the field concussed & bleeding from a head wound that needs 10 stitches, BUT SWEET EFF ALL HAPPENS TO O'CONNOR, EVEN THOUGH IT HAPPENED RIGHT IN FRONT OF TWO UMPIRES......well you'll forgive me if I fail to join in the Phily McMahon witch hunt ! :mad:

Philly always plays close to the edge. He skirted the rules today but no more so than AOS, who seemed to spend the entire game going around looking for a row. Sure he rugby tackled Cluxton (clear black card) and struck Philly with a forearm right in front of the ref with no action taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

For the record, I thought Philly owned AOS today. He just can't seem to help himself.

Any chance that ROC incident was caught on camera?

Final thoughts. I think that match would have done us the world of good. It will have brought us on big time getting a proper test. Because our last one was a full year ago.

Slattsy wrote: »
    For the record, I thought Philly owned AOS today. He just can't seem to help himself.

Any chance that ROC incident was caught on camera?

Everything must be caught on camera in this day and age

The RO'C incident may well have been picked up by one of the RTE cameras in the stadium, but it wasn't shown on the broadcast feed, so we the public don't get to see it on our tellys. The CCCC may have access to all of RTE's camera footage, not just the stuff that was broadcast. I certainly hope so !

The RO'C incident may well have been picked up by one of the RTE cameras in the stadium, but it wasn't shown on the broadcast feed, so we the public don't get to see it on our tellys. The CCCC may have access to all of RTE's camera footage, not just the stuff that was broadcast. I certainly hope so !

Sure they had footage of a clear strike on Murphy but still managed to overturn the ban. I wouldn't be holding out to much hope to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EnergyBlaster

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Couldn't care if I get banned but you're a sad bas**rd. Keep trolling whatever thread you can.

Why did you react? Let him have his little fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EnergyBlaster

Who would you play on AOL if ROC is out? AOL should read AOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭mjp

Any word on in tickets will be available online on tickets.ie for replay. Will they be at reduced prices similar to final replays from last year?

• Advertisement

Who would you play on AOL if ROC is out? AOL should read AOS

Stick Philly on him again.

That was some block by Small wasn't it? Some composure and balls from a young lad who probably watched last years semifinal from the Hill.

That was some block by Small wasn't it? Some composure and balls from a young lad who probably watched last years semifinal from the Hill.

Great anticipation to get back on the line. Thought he did well when he came on.

Big shout out to Mick Fitz as well thought he had a really solid game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Same as in the match thread, keep it civil and within the forum charter - report any obvious trolls or posts you feel are outside the forum charter, do not engage with them

No problem with the panelists high lighting cynical play from both sides, but the way that they kept on harping on about Philly & just glossed over Rorys injury was outrageous. Philly is no angel, but none of the players he got overly involved with, left the pitch concussed, with blood pouring from a gaping head wound. Jesus wept !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

No problem with the panelists high lighting cynical play from both sides, but the way that they kept on harping on about Philly & just glossed over Rorys injury was outrageous. Philly is no angel, but none of the players he got overly involved with left the pitch concussed, with blood pouring from a gaping head wound. Jesus wept !!!!

And then he gets their MOTM to add to the insult!

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    And then he gets their MOTM to add to the insult!

I apologize for not replying to that in an honest and heartfelt manner, or expressing my opinion on what a fine, upstanding human being Cillian O'Connor may or may not be.

I'd get banned if I did. :mad::mad::mad:

JOD got a MOTM for running around against Cork and O'Connor for kicking frees :confused:.. tho if I'm perfectly honest it would've been hard to pick 3 candidates no one stood out

I think i'll stick to the hurling next year.:p Game is about 10-15 years the soccer but its going the same way. Dishonest to the core. Not for me.

McStay had a lot to say about McMahon but casually avoided COC forcing O'Carroll off. Gave him MOTM too.

JOD got a MOTM for running around against Cork and O'Connor for kicking frees :confused:.. tho if I'm perfectly honest it would've been hard to pick 3 candidates no one stood out

Keith Higgins was magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭mjp

In o connor's defense he was being pulled and held back by R o C and o connor swung back in retaliation to get away from him and caught him in the eye in the process. Can't compare it to Phillys where he knew exactly what he was doing and what he did is undedendable

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement