Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The silly stupid stuff Philly did is taking centre stage & that's a shame, as he did a great job keeping AO'S quiet. It was all the more impressive considering the job landed in his lap unexpectedly when Rory went off injured. AO'S even being considered for Man of the Match was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Nah I was too high up to give any objective view of the incident - but I'll tell ya one thing, I've always liked Philly as a footballer but he has huge respect from me for the defensive performance he put in today ... I was astonished how well he played AOS
    Funny, he has no respect from me. Another thuggish performance, saw the headbutt (although it was half arsed) and supposedly he threw a few punches during the foul for the mayo penalty. It completely tainted a good performance, done with defending him.

Yup just watched TSG and see what yer talking about re Philly off the ball - I didn't catch it at the game and certainly don't condone it. However my original point on his outstanding display on AOS stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mjp wrote: »
    In o connor's defense he was being pulled and held back by R o C and o connor swung back in retaliation to get away from him and caught him in the eye in the process. Can't compare it to Phillys where he knew exactly what he was doing and what he did is undedendable

Rubbish, the elbow went back at an angle and raised up, so that it would make contact with RO'C face. Tugging your arm free is one thing, but if your elbow winds up up around someones eye socket, that takes premeditation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

In o connor's defense he was being pulled and held back by R o C and o connor swung back in retaliation to get away from him and caught him in the eye in the process. Can't compare it to Phillys where he knew exactly what he was doing and what he did is undedendable

Just for arguments sake what is your opinion of Connollys red then? Assuming we both agree Keegan initiated the altercation and headlocked Connolly to the ground. Is defending yourself against pre meditated provocation acceptable in both cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Im after beating the system there and got 4 Upper Cusack for the replay. If anyone doesn't want to go through the rigmarole of getting tickets, i'll swap all 4 for 2 tickets for the hurling final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Connollys red seems harsh but Christ he drives me mad - he knows that its one punch thrown and game over but he still does it. Yes he is definitely targeted but he initiates things as well (pinned Diarmuid OC down for no reason at all). Hard to feel sympathy for him from a neutral POV but we're a better team when he plays. Still don't feel he gets the best out of himself, he went long periods doing nothing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Straight red and lengthy ban but of course he wont get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He wasn't being pulled back when he swung his arm at ROC and deliberately clocked him, the fact he needed 10 stitches says it all about the force and intention that he was swinging with

McMahon on the other hand, WAS being pulled out of it by two Mayo players and the video still does'nt show any clear headbutt, he was being pulled forward at the time.

But yeah, do carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So my fellow ST holders, what's the suss for us?

---

I'm just rewatching the match now.

Just seen it, not a red for Cillian IMO. Not a chance he's banned and its fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just seen it, not a red for Cillian IMO. Not a chance he's banned and its fair enough.

Unless there's some need to even things out which I wouldn't discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

What has Connolly actually done!!? I've still not seen it?

Just finished watching the first half thete again. Haven't seen the "COC on ROC" incident so can't say anything about it.

But I think McQuillan got all the big calls right in that half. Thought that today too. The penalty was understandably given in real-time. Another reason that we need a TMO.

MDMA looked better live than in the rewatch. Didn't I say my seats were ****e today?

Dublin gifted 3 points to Mayo for dissent. Stupid play. And McCarthy tackling COC at the end of the half for Mayo's 7th point was absolutely outrageous. He was on his own and there were 3 Dublin lads in support.

All came from a stupid Paul Flynn hit and hope with 20sec left in the half when we should have just held on and waited for the ref to blow up.

Anyway... Everything else was talked about. Second half up now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I wonder will ROC stop fouling opposition forwards non stop now for the entire match.

Honestly if I was hanging out of someone for am entire match I'd expect a clip.

It just feels wrong doing it and I hate the way so many defenders at County level do.

After listening to wheelo on the sunday game we need a ref in each half and a TMO for big calls be it penos or off the ball incidents. B

Also linesmen need to be more proactive.

Chaos was the best word to describe today. Thoroughly enjoyed it but it highlights the age old frustrations we have with the GAA.

Mayo Dublin has turned into one of the top GAA rivalries, all started on that day in 2006.

Here's to another belter in the replay next week!

Just finished watching the first half thete again. Haven't seen the "COC on ROC" incident so can't say anything about it.

But I think McQuillan got all the big calls right in that half. Thought that today too. The penalty was understandably given in real-time. Another reason that we need a TMO.

MDMA looked better live than in the rewatch. Didn't I say my seats were ****e today?

Dublin gifted 3 points to Mayo for dissent. Stupid play. And McCarthy tackling COC at the end of the half for Mayo's 7th point was absolutely outrageous. He was on his own and there were 3 Dublin lads in support.

All came from a stupid Paul Flynn hit and hope with 20sec left in the half when we should have just held on and waited for the ref to blow up.

Anyway... Everything else was talked about. Second half up now...

I did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. The referee got nearly every decision correct. Even the non decisions where he allowed play to continue he got correct. I'm normally well up for a ref bash but i thought he did well considering how tough the players made the game to ref.

Just on Flynn. Couple of high profile errors but his ability to spot a pass from deep set up more than one score. Noticed everything was into the Cusack Stand side in the first half. Rock didn't create an option once.

So my fellow ST holders, what's the suss for us?

Nothing to see here it seems...
    What about replays? If a replay is required, the purchaser will be charged for the replay at the same price as the drawn match. If the Opening Championship fixture is drawn the relevant stadium area charge less €5.00 will be charged for adult Season Tickets and the relevant stadium area charge for juveniles will be charged.

corny wrote: »
    I did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. The referee got nearly every decision correct. Even the non decisions where he allowed play to continue he got correct. I'm normally well up for a ref bash but i thought he did well considering how tough the players made the game to ref.

Just on Flynn. Couple of high profile errors but his ability to spot a pass from deep set up more than one score. Noticed everything was into the Cusack Stand side in the first half. Rock didn't create an option once.

Don't take that comment about Flynn as a complete critique of his game. I thought he was brilliant today. His best performance of the season. But there's two incidents today that stuck out that cost us 2 points that the Flynner from last year wouldn't have done... The hit and hope as discussed and the "Hollywood" point attempt that he should have just stroked over.

Anyway... Second half on now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Bambi wrote: »
    He wasn't being pulled back when he swung his arm at ROC and deliberately clocked him, the fact he needed 10 stitches says it all about the force and intention that he was swinging with

McMahon on the other hand, WAS being pulled out of it by two Mayo players and the video still does'nt show any clear headbutt, he was being pulled forward at the time.

But yeah, do carry on

O'Connor was being pulled by the jersey from behind. Look at it again in real time. In the rules of the game, with the full replay available ROC would be gone on a black card before O'Connor swung anything - without looking- which your incorrect assertion implies.
    There were no angels on the field today but you can't say Dublin were hard done by.
    Had Dublin been more disciplined today, I would be congratulating you on your passage to the Final. It was that indiscipline that let you down and nothing else. You genuinely can't be as indisciplined as Dublin were today and not expect to be punished either with free count or scoreline.

Blackjack wrote: »
    O'Connor was being pulled by the jersey from behind. Look at it again in real time. In the rules of the game, with the full replay available ROC would be gone on a black card before O'Connor swung anything - without looking- which your incorrect assertion implies.
    There were no angels on the field today but you can't say Dublin were hard done by.
    Had Dublin been more disciplined today, I would be congratulating you on your passage to the Final. It was that indiscipline that let you down and nothing else. You genuinely can't be as indisciplined as Dublin were today and not expect to be punished either with free count or scoreline.

The man needs to be pulled to the ground for a black card. A jersey tug is a yellow card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

The man needs to be pulled to the ground for a black card. A jersey tug is a yellow card.

Yellow card then. Point stands.

Jack McCaffrey scored Dublin's last score at 60:47.

The referee added on 5min at the end. You can't fail to score for 15min and expect to get to an All-Ireland final.

---

On the rewatch and mind you I'm not just finished yet. I have to say it was an absorbing contest. Full of hard tackling, intensity and tactical awareness. A credit to be there today.

The Paul Flynn miss at 63:00 led Mayo up the field to get one back and bring it to 5points. That's the margins we are playing at.

John Small's save after Cluxton's brainfart was out of this world.

I thought today Bastick deserved to go. And still do. He knew what he was doing.

Fenton is going to be some player. A bit naive today. But to be expected from a kid. I wouldn't have taken Andrews off at all.

Mayo's penalty wasn't a penalty but no way could the ref have seen it after the dive that was thrown.

The penalty was scored at 68:58 and we were a point up. Should have calmed down and then Cluxton lost the kick out.
    And Moran equalised.

---

How we let that go I don't know. But we did. It will stand to us the next day.

There's a lot of talk about Philly's headbutt. Little in it for me given what was going on between him and O'Shea.

Cooper on Diarmuid O'Connor was way worse.

---

It was breathless stuff. Given all he had to deal with McQuillan had a great game for me. Still don't get what the problem with him was.

Neither team lost out on the victory because of any decision on the field

EDIT:
    I'm just after rewatching the penalty again. Philly is all over him. Correct decision even if Boyle made a meal of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I really wish people would read up on the black card. so many seem to think that pulling a jersey is a black card. Even Doyle was saying something similar for O'Sullivan holding a jersey and comparing it to a drag down to ground/ trip black card from last week.

Also did I hear him say the Donie Buckly was playing for Mayo today, I know hes a coach maybe i misheard him.

On that it looked from my position that Bastic caught Barry Moran with his hand for an ankle trip and so a correct black card, but it nearly looked like he caught him with his leg in the replay on the Sunday game, anyone see it better, i was in 705

Stoner wrote: »
    I really wish people would read up on the black card. so many seem to think that pulling a jersey is a black card. Even Doyle was saying something similar for O'Sullivan holding a jersey and comparing it to a drag down to ground/ trip black card from last week.

Also did I hear him say the Donie Buckly was playing for Mayo today, I know hes a coach maybe i misheard him.

On that it looked from my position that Bastic caught Barry Moran with his hand for an ankle trip and so a correct black card, but it nearly looked like he caught him with his leg in the replay on the Sunday game, anyone see it better, i was in 705

He tripped him with his foot alright.l
    ---

I can't stand TSG so never watch. Watched the match on Sky tonight. Imperious in comparison to RTÉ. Paul Earley is a great commentator.

Bastick was a black card alright. Michael Dara didn't deserve it but his number was up soon anyway. Cian O' Sullivan was lucky not to get one but then so was AOS.

Connollys red was a disgrace but the way the GAA have chosen to deal with these situations fully justified. I can't stand those calculating wind ups though. Doesn't matter what jersey the player wears.

Dublin let themselves down today. In times past their attitude has consistently been excellent. The nasty belts, the self indulgent fouling and the constant bitching left a sour taste in the mouth. Hope we don't see that again.

corny wrote:
    Dublin let themselves down today. In times past their attitude has consistently been excellent. The nasty belts, the self indulgent fouling and the constant bitching left a sour taste in the mouth. Hope we don't see that again.

I didn't enjoy the game at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed with the lads today. Some of the cynical carry on was a disgrace, frankly. Gavin's words all these years about "playing the right way" ring very hollow now.

On a positive note, Kilkenny was an absolute joy to watch today, in the first half especially.

In fairness. When the opposition open up one of your players and give them 10 stitches, Fair play goes out the window in my view.

The mayo management would have a right cheek to complain this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Jack McCaffrey scored Dublin's last score at 60:47.

The referee added on 5min at the end. You can't fail to score for 15min and expect to get to an All-Ireland final.

---

On the rewatch and mind you I'm not just finished yet. I have to say it was an absorbing contest. Full of hard tackling, intensity and tactical awareness. A credit to be there today.

The Paul Flynn miss at 63:00 led Mayo up the field to get one back and bring it to 5points. That's the margins we are playing at.

John Small's save after Cluxton's brainfart was out of this world.

I thought today Bastick deserved to go. And still do. He knew what he was doing.

Fenton is going to be some player. A bit naive today. But to be expected from a kid. I wouldn't have taken Andrews off at all.

Mayo's penalty wasn't a penalty but no way could the ref have seen it after the dive that was thrown.

The penalty was scored at 68:58 and we were a point up. Should have calmed down and then Cluxton lost the kick out.
    And Moran equalised.

---

How we let that go I don't know. But we did. It will stand to us the next day.

There's a lot of talk about Philly's headbutt. Little in it for me given what was going on between him and O'Shea.

Cooper on Diarmuid O'Connor was way worse.

---

It was breathless stuff. Given all he had to deal with McQuillan had a great game for me. Still don't get what the problem with him was.

Neither team lost out on the victory because of any decision on the field

EDIT:
    I'm just after rewatching the penalty again. Philly is all over him. Correct decision even if Boyle made a meal of it.

Mayo scored one point from play in 35 minutes.

Surely a similar logic applies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

In fairness. When the opposition open up one of your players and give them 10 stitches, Fair play goes out the window in my view.

The mayo management would have a right cheek to complain this time around.

The O'Carroll incident was what set the whole game alight.

When something like that happens early in the game, a referee, if he doesn't see it (as McQuillan appears not to have seen it) should make it clear by consulting his linesmen that he isn't going to stand for any off-the-ball stuff. McQuillan did nothing about it and that set the tone for the game.

The second point about referees is that Dublin move the ball too fast for referees. Unlike teams like Mayo who move the ball up the field slowly, Dublin turn defence into attack too quickly for referees who are left 40 yards behind the game. Not their fault, they would have to be as fit as Flynn to keep up. As a result, Dublin don't get their fair share of frees as opposition defenders are free to make the cynical fouls away from the referee's eyes. None of this is seen on television but if you are in the right part of the ground it happens in front of your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I know Connolly was carded and off the pitch for the last free that cluxton missed but have we become so dependent on Rocks kicking skills now.

Cluxton with a free on his good side inside the 45 to win the game , you'd put the house on that all day.

Of course it does and that point was made earlier yesterday straight after the game. I'll root it out for ya.

My sole concern though as a Dub is that Dublin win. So my criticism will be weighed in such a regard.

• Advertisement

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057116010/243/#post96814818

I was next door in 706 - it was grand as a perspective on the whole pitch watching movement etc. but I was too far away to have any objective opinion on the fouls, black card, yellows etc. I just found myself going along with the general rage around me .. and that had always been something I was quite careful of doing
    I didn't enjoy the game at all.

I had that feeling all game that there was something not quite right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Pull the jersey is a noting offence.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Yellow card then. Point stands.
    Your point was O'Carroll shouldn't have been on the pitch when he got hit. Neither a noting or a yellow card would have taken him off the pitch so your point doesn't stand.

McQuillan had a horrendous game. He let it run away from the very first minute and lost complete control of it.

Connolly, fair enough, was a red card he punched Keegan when the two of them were on the ground. Keegan should have been a red as he started the melee too. Cillian O'Connor should have been sent off for the attack on Rory O'Carroll, 10 stitches is not fair play, and at least gotten a yellow for attempting to reef Connolly off Keegan. Aidan O'Shea should have gotten a black card for the blatant deliberate pull down on Stephen Cluxton, he then should have gotten at least a yellow for punching Cluxton in the face under one of the high balls in the second half. Michael Dara was not a black he is clearly seen tackling the ball in the replay (probably the fairest tackle all game from both sides). I can understand why McQuillan gave him a black though, he was in an awful position for it. Bastic was probably going to come on for Michael Dara pretty soon anyway. Bastic's black I am not sure was deliberate after seeing the replay, I also don't think McQuillan actually saw the incident and just assumed it was a black because there was a trip. McLoughlin was very cynical hitting and dragging people off the ball all game but nothing happened about that. One of the free's moved up 13m O'Shea came in and pushed Connolly, Connolly pushed him back and it was moved up. There was 2 teams in the game but 1 was punished a lot harder. 1-9 from frees vs 1-2 says a lot too.

There were numerous bad calls made by McQuillan during open play. I thought O'Shea deserved a penalty in the first half but Colm Boyle's was very soft. He seemed to trip himself up and then crash in to McCaffrey and fall to the ground but I wouldn't argue too much with it as it was mainly our fault.

All in all though I thought it was a very good game with an electric atmosphere (Colm O'Rourke must be going deaf). I was on the edge of my seat all game.

I'd hate to see Connolly, O'Connor, McMahon and anybody else missing from next weeks game. In my opinion so much happened in the game the GAA would need to suspend at least 5 or 6 players to catch everything. The best thing they could do is appoint a very strong referee and team of linesmen and 4th official, leave all the incidents go and let both teams go hammer and tong at it again.

BKWDR wrote: »
    I know Connolly was carded and off the pitch for the last free that cluxton missed but have we become so dependent on Rocks kicking skills now.

Cluxton with a free on his good side inside the 45 to win the game , you'd put the house on that all day.

I don't think Rocks kicking is good enough to give him a place alone. As he showed with the central free he missed early on its still inconsistent, although I think he might have improved on Cluxtons 0/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Pull the jersey is a noting offence.

Your point was O'Carroll shouldn't have been on the pitch when he got hit. Neither a noting or a yellow card would have taken him off the pitch so your point doesn't stand.

McQuillan had a horrendous game. He let it run away from the very first minute and lost complete control of it.

Connolly, fair enough, was a red card he punched Keegan when the two of them were on the ground. Keegan should have been a red as he started the melee too. Cillian O'Connor should have been sent off for the attack on Rory O'Carroll, 10 stitches is not fair play, and at least gotten a yellow for attempting to reef Connolly off Keegan. Aidan O'Shea should have gotten a black card for the blatant deliberate pull down on Stephen Cluxton, he then should have gotten at least a yellow for punching Cluxton in the face under one of the high balls in the second half. Michael Dara was not a black he is clearly seen tackling the ball in the replay (probably the fairest tackle all game from both sides). I can understand why McQuillan gave him a black though, he was in an awful position for it. Bastic was probably going to come on for Michael Dara pretty soon anyway. Bastic's black I am not sure was deliberate after seeing the replay, I also don't think McQuillan actually saw the incident and just assumed it was a black because there was a trip. McLoughlin was very cynical hitting and dragging people off the ball all game but nothing happened about that. One of the free's moved up 13m O'Shea came in and pushed Connolly, Connolly pushed him back and it was moved up. There was 2 teams in the game but 1 was punished a lot harder. 1-9 from frees vs 1-2 says a lot too.

There were numerous bad calls made by McQuillan during open play. I thought O'Shea deserved a penalty in the first half but Colm Boyle's was very soft. He seemed to trip himself up and then crash in to McCaffrey and fall to the ground but I wouldn't argue too much with it as it was mainly our fault.

All in all though I thought it was a very good game with an electric atmosphere (Colm O'Rourke must be going deaf). I was on the edge of my seat all game.

I'd hate to see Connolly, O'Connor, McMahon and anybody else missing from next weeks game. In my opinion so much happened in the game the GAA would need to suspend at least 5 or 6 players to catch everything. The best thing they could do is appoint a very strong referee and team of linesmen and 4th official, leave all the incidents go and let both teams go hammer and tong at it again.

I also wouldn't like to see them missing. But this is the problem of the GAA at the moment. If we constantly let things go, then players will think its ok to do such things. If the McCann ban had stood, I do not think McMahon would've dived yesterday. Now players think they can get away with it and it sickens me.

Dublin will appeal the Connolly ban because they saw Mayo get off with Keane. Neither have any grounds to be let off - both were caught on camera striking / attempting to strike. There should be no way they should even be considering appealing when there is such damning evidence! But the likelihood is that Connolly will get off, because Keane got off. If he doesn't get off, then what was the difference between him & Keane's incidents? At some point, the GAA just has to say "This is wrong, it is a red card offence, suspension". It is done so rarely in the GAA that we are beginning to see players behave in the way they did yesterday.

So much for the GAA being a "manly" sport :mad:

DoctaDee wrote:
    I had that feeling all game that there was something not quite right

Yeah, the thing going around where we were was that ROC picked up the injury while he was lying down. Not the case obviously but it set the tone for a bad atmosphere.

I don't see much in Connellys red card tbh. Keegan was at him the whole game in that period Mayo were very well tuned into stopping the counter attack by dragging out of the runners well out of the refs view impossible to pick up for the ref.

Cooper and McMahon was much worse imo. I don't know what Cooper was at. Mind you we pointed that out and were concerned with him at the start of the year didn't we, but I was not expecting that I've never seen him come close to that before.

I hope ROC gets over the head injury, it looked serious and it looks like we will need him in the back line as I think we might be down a man and no harm on McMahons part either.
    I don't class is as the simple "lads getting to know each other" that Doyle seemed to think it was. You swing your arm back at head height with enough force to do that then you are aiming for the head, just because you were not looking doesn't matter. Connellys head was trapped in a headlock when he threw his dig.

Cooper was booked for his offence, as was Parsons for that very late tackle on Kilkenny that the rte editor completly missed, he played the wrong clip. Kilkenny was playing very well at the time and he was hit hard while he was on his knees having cleared the ball, stuff was flying around that his shoulder was injured, I was very concerned as he was the main half forward threat thankfully he was ok

So, we predicted that Kilkenny and McCaffery would do well, and Bastic to hold his own, Andrews to start play well and work hard.

We didn't see the meltdown from cluxton or the indiscipline in the tackle . Dublin were obviously dragging the Mayo forwards by the Jersey to avoid black cards. Mayos trick was body checking lads who played the ball or were trying to make runs.
    It was a poxy game imo. I was glad when it was over. It had a lot of potential. My worst fear was that is would be a dirty game and that the winner would carry suspension over into the Kerry game. I think that will happen .

If the McCann ban had stood, I do not think McMahon would've dived yesterday. Now players think they can get away with it and it sickens me.
    When did McMahon dive? I seem to have missed that.
    Dublin will appeal the Connolly ban because they saw Mayo get off with Keane. Neither have any grounds to be let off - both were caught on camera striking / attempting to strike.
    Yeah thats another sour point I have. In my opinion it completely undermines the referee's authority and is the precedence for most of what goes on in games. The rules are there and whilst not particularly clear they should be followed as best as possible. Referee's lives are hard enough as it is the least the GAA could do is roll in behind and support them even if they have a bad game or get some calls wrong.

I saw an interesting tweet by Eamonn McGee there over the weekend. He admitted to being 100% guilty to every appeal he had ever won except his last.

I expect McMahon to be banned, O'Connor and Cooper to be let off, and I'm not sure on Connolly. The red was deserved but the Keane rescind makes it messy.

We really need Rory if Philly's suspended, otherwise who marks AOS?

When did McMahon dive? I seem to have missed that.

Yeah thats another sour point I have. In my opinion it completely undermines the referee's authority and is the precedence for most of what goes on in games. The rules are there and whilst not particularly clear they should be followed as best as possible. Referee's lives are hard enough as it is the least the GAA could do is roll in behind and support them even if they have a bad game or get some calls wrong.

I saw an interesting tweet by Eamonn McGee there over the weekend. He admitted to being 100% guilty to every appeal he had ever won except his last.

He went down holding his face as if O'Sé had hit him. O'Sé didn't hit him. It was highlighted by the Sunday Game last night so you should be able to see it on RTE player.

I think out of everything though it should be highlighted that Fenton played very well, particularly in the first 40 minutes. I had doubts over him in such a big game but fair play to the guy he really stood up when it was counted. I thought he deserved a nomination for Man of the Match considering everything.

• Advertisement

He went down holding his face as if O'Sé had hit him. O'Sé didn't hit him. It was highlighted by the Sunday Game last night so you should be able to see it on RTE player.
    It looked to me that he was caught by O'Shea's stray hand anyway I'll watch it later, have it recorded.

Godge wrote: »
    The O'Carroll incident was what set the whole game alight.

That's a cop out IMO. The nastiness and near constant dialogue with the referee betrays a serious lack of self control. I hope the players and Jim Gavin are honest with themselves. Lads should be focused on what they have to do and nothing should get in the way of that.

If I'm wrong and what went on yesterday was part of a plan to, dare I say it, be more Tyrone like, I'd despair.

It looked to me that he was caught by O'Shea's stray hand anyway I'll watch it later, have it recorded.

O'Sé's hand / arm may have skimmed him or grazed him. But it did not do anything near enough for him to go down holding his face the way he did. To me, it was a clear dive. And while McMahon is responsible for his own behaviour, it is something that would not have happened if the GAA had not overturned the McCann ban.

I don't think Rocks kicking is good enough to give him a place alone. As he showed with the central free he missed early on its still inconsistent, although I think he might have improved on Cluxtons 0/3.

Did COC score from play. Theres a spot for him at 12 now anyway.,

I gotta be honest and say I just want the whole thing over with now .. Saturday can't come and go quick enough. Make no mistake there'll be no redemption next Saturday - I can't be arsed defending or castigating anyone, this is the Dublin GAA thread there's plenty of other threads to discuss the match incidents wrt "intent" and the like - I'll just say it was a complete let down yesterday

Did COC score from play. Theres a spot for him at 12 now anyway.,

He got one from play, was on the ball far more than Rock and hes a better free taker.

I'd be tempted to play a 3rd midfielder at 12, otherwise Rock will start again. Pity Mannions away and Costello can't get a game for some reason.

DoctaDee wrote:
    I can't be arsed defending or castigating anyone, this is the Dublin GAA thread there's plenty of other threads to discuss the match incidents wrt "intent" and the like - I'll just say it was a complete let down yesterday

Great post.

So next week .
    Rock has to start right?
    We are planning without DC

Fenton played well, He won both throw ins. Bastic was well in the game and should start too.

MDMA in at 12?

Back line
    ROC Cooper, Fitzsimons
    Half back line as is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Great post.

So next week .
    Rock has to start right?
    We are planning without DC

Fenton played well, He won both throw ins. Bastic was well in the game and should start too.

MDMA in at 12?

Back line
    ROC Cooper, Fitzsimons
    Half back line as is

No choice but to start Rock with Cluxton back in spazz mode

Bastik coming on and then going off were the turning points for and against us I thought. He showed real leadership

Next week;

Cluxton
    Fitz, ROC, Cooper,Mc, COS, Mc
    Fenton, Bastick
    Flynn, Kilkenny, Andrews, Rock, Kev, Brogan.

Most likely team assuming suspensions. The other option is an extra man in the middle - sacrifice Rock, move COS to midfield and bring in Small at #6. Don't think it'll happen but I'd consider it as long as McAuleys kept far away from the pitch.

• Advertisement

I think out of everything though it should be highlighted that Fenton played very well, particularly in the first 40 minutes. I had doubts over him in such a big game but fair play to the guy he really stood up when it was counted. I thought he deserved a nomination for Man of the Match considering everything.

Also worth noting himself and Bastick won possession cleanly when the ball was kicked long. Cluxton got dragged into the short stuff but it shouldn't be just taken for granted Mayo will clean us out in midfield next day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement