Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I didn't mean to delete my post, but edit, anyway - from reading this, it says that now the ban has been imposed, that he can appeal it to the "Central Appeals Committee and from there to the Disputes Resolution Committee"

So he actually has 2 more bodies that he can appeal to.

he is running out of days, considering they cant even it get the name of the player he punched right, it might not be wise to believe the times reporter.

Apperantly the Connolly appeal is going to a high court? I really think we should just take our medicine on this now and focus on Saturday with those available, this distraction isn't needed 2 days before such a vital game.

Let's beat these and have him fresh for Kerry!
    Ye might be better without him. He would of been sent off much quicker this Saturday if he went out with the same martial arts attitude he had the last day. McQuillan had been very easy on him up to the sending off and once instructed by the linesman he had no choice but to give a red. If the appeal had worked i can't see any other ref been as lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Can see us swapping Connolly out for a big man/3rd mid. I just hope that doesn't mean MDMA starts again.

Kev is our super sub (though I'd probably start him) and I don't know if Alan is fit for more than a cameo. No way Costello comes in at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

irishgeo wrote: »
    he is running out of days, considering they cant even it get the name of the player he punched right, it might not be wise to believe the times reporter.

No, but i'm sure like any appeals body - you can appeal the appeal. Given that Keane got off for a strike by he CHC, one of have to ask the question, Do the GAA ever appeal decision made by the CHC, or do they just accept it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Ye might be better without him. He would of been sent off much quicker this Saturday if he goes out with the same martial arts attitude he had the last day. McQuillan had been very easy on him up to the sending of and once instructed by the linesman he had no choice.

Who knows, all I'm thinking of is the game at this stage. I've heard enough of the 'yea but he did this and he did that nonsense' both teams have much better discipline and football in their make up than was shown last Sunday.

Roll on 5pm Saturday, and may the best team on the day win showing the great football they're capable of. Dublin by 3 :D

• Advertisement

Who knows, all I'm thinking of is the game at this stage. I've heard enough of the 'yea but he did this and he did that nonsense' both teams have much better discipline and football in their make up than was shown last Sunday.

Roll on 5pm Saturday, and may the best team on the day win showing the great football they're capable of. Dublin by 3 :D

I'd expect a much cleaner game, the ref won't tolerate anything else the next day. A 2012 repeat would be nice, very open, lots of goal chances, and the right result.

I'd expect a much cleaner game, the ref won't tolerate anything else the next day. A 2012 repeat would be nice.

I'd prefer a 2013 repeat myself. Either way I'll be hoping the All-Ireland winner comes from this side of the draw and we'll all be friends! ;)

I'd prefer a 2013 repeat myself. Either way I'll be hoping the All-Ireland winner comes from this side of the draw and we'll all be friends! ;)
    Yip, still very hard to see past Kerry. They will have to have a bad day and a fair ref :) to lose this All-Ireland. Hopefully no suspensions either side the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Slattsy wrote: »
    Big loss all the same. But might be a blessing in disguise, add a bit of steal to the team.

Ah fek, hope me car is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not only are the referees completely inconsistant but now we have the disciplinary panels changing their minds from one week to the next.

Welcome to the weird and wacky world of the GAA.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

I think we often look a bit devoid of ideas up front and Connolly has that spark. Mayo's defence is strong man to man and we struggled a lot to create, we had to work very hard for our scores I thought. Connolly often gives you 2-3 scores out if nothing that our other players (or most players in the country) aren't capable of. We'll need a similar game from Kilkenny and Flash Jack, but for Flynner to up his game a bit too. Paddy had a great first half, we need 70 mins of that. I'm afraid I don't expect much from Rock but hopefully his free taking is good. As we saw the last day Mayo are very disciplined inside their 45 so I'd question his need as a starter.

It's got to be said, it's amazing how a few games ago people were saying Dublin had the players to make 2 teams, a few injuries, players off form and a suspension, and now we are way we are.

Yip, still very hard to see past Kerry. They will have to have a bad day and a fair ref :) to lose this All-Ireland. Hopefully no suspensions either side the next day.

Kerry really are no great shakes to be honest.

If Dublin lose on Saturday I for one will be wishing Mayo all the best in the final and hoping you get beaten out the gate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ah fek, hope me car is safe.

Dont worry lad, no one wants to steal a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Be hard to stale the mayo team bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

BOOM !

Back of the net ! :D

Well if this doesn't focus the lads minds, better than having to play Longford in May, I don't know what will.

Onwards and upwards lads. We can beat this shower of bluffers and spoofers even without Dermo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

JRant wrote: »
    Kerry really are no great shakes to be honest.

If Dublin lose on Saturday I for one will be wishing Mayo all the best in the final and hoping they get beaten out the gate :)

Fixed that for ya;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I can see Rock losing his place. He was virtually a non entity in Sundays game. Brogan and Kev Mc to start. I think this is how they'll line up.

Cluxton
    Cooper ROC PM
    MC COS MC
    Fenton Bastick
    Andrews KK Flynn
    AB KM BB

Question. If AOS moves inside again who picks him up? Philly had him in his back pocket last day but ROC is a far more natural full back. Assuming O' Carroll is ok.

I wouldn't drop Rock. Even if he is piss poor from play again, we need him for the frees and 45's. With no Diarmuid, a distinctly below par Cluxton and Bernard not having taken a free in over a year, we need him more then ever now. His starting jersey may very well be under threat next year, if O'Gara comes back, Kev Mc's form improves & CC and Mannion are options again. But for now, he is a nailed on starter for the rest of the year imo.

I wouldn't put Philly on AO'S again. Philly did a great job on him on Sunday, but there is way too much baggage there now & a repeat of the match up would be an accident waiting to happen.

corny wrote: »
    I can see Rock losing his place. He was virtually a non entity in Sundays game. Brogan and Kev Mc to start. I think this is how they'll line up.

Cluxton
    Cooper ROC PM
    MC COS MC
    Fenton Bastick
    Andrews KK Flynn
    AB KM BB

Question. If AOS moves inside again who picks him up? Philly had him in his back pocket last day but ROC is a far more natural full back. Assuming O' Carroll is ok.

I think that's our strongest starting 15 but it leaves few impact options off the bench. Also unsure Al can play more than a cameo but if he's fit to I'd gladly start him, looked sharp on Sunday. Even if he could play 40-50 I'd be happy.

Philly started on AOS the last day so I'd assume he does again. Problem is ROC is a bit big and slow for Cillian, Fitz might have even suited him better to be honest, whereas ROC suits a bear like AOS. If Mayos plan is to lump it in long again ROC should be OK though.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    BOOM !

Back of the net ! :D

Well if this doesn't focus the lads minds, better than having to play Longford in May, I don't know what will.

Onwards and upwards lads. We can beat this shower of bluffers and spoofers even without Dermo.

It should light a fire under the whole team.

COC is going to be targeted in a big way on Saturday. I expect some good hard hits to go in on him early. No messing around just straight into him from the off.

Keeping our focus in defense will be key though. No easy frees, make them work for their scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

COC is going to be targeted in a big way on Saturday. I expect some good hard hits to go in on him early. No messing around just straight into him from the off.

Keeping our focus in defense will be key though. No easy frees, make them work for their scores.

That might make people feel better but its the wrong option. Dublin should concentrate on playing football. Its where they've the clear advantage. McLoughlin and O' Connor got into it with the Dublin defenders last week but it suited them. Why? On the evidence they're far less likely to react and fall foul of the referee. That and they've **** all else to contribute in open play!

Hard hits on O'Connor? For the love of God, why? :eek:

I'm all for revenge, but the only revenge that matters is the score board variety.This game is for winning, by making sure they score less than us, not getting into any needless macho throwing shapes contests. What on earth would that accomplish, other than hand them more scores on a platter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cluxton
    Cooper ROC PM
    MC COS MC
    Fenton Bastick
    Andrews KK Flynn
    AB KM BB

I'd be happy enough with that.

We need to get on top early and demoralise them. That team can do that.

Rewatching the game, didn't realise how hopeless Mayo were although we made a lot of poor passes. Mayo's one score from play was created from McLaughlin taking out Cooper. Should've been further ahead at half time, especially from 10-20 mins.

McCarthy the main culprit for bad fouling 3 stupid fouls, Keegan got one very soft free though. We relied on Bernard as a lone target man for periods which was a weird plan. Flynn's passing was magic. Should've been 5+ up at half time.

Our ill-discipline has to be significantly eradicated this week. That alone cost us 3 players and two thirds of the Mayo score line, the above suggestion of physically targeting O'Connor is ludicrous given these stats.

Had Mayo been at the races on Sunday they would have heavily complimented the gifted 1-09 we coughed up from placed ball, we'd be toast and on our sorry arses again like last year.

How we need to find that fantastic strong finish mentality of the first 2 years under Gavin also cannot be overstated enough either!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Honestly I think if we can keep our discipline and not give away frees we will win. We all saw how poor Mayo's forwards are at kicking scores when they had that ten minute period in the second half where they kicked some very easy wides. AOS doesn't score many points, he doesn't seem to have the ability to catch a high ball then turn quickly and pop it over the bar and COC has scored 1-3 from play this season. It's all about not giving away frees and hopefully Gavin has drilled that into them this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Connolly suspended officially

Baffled how Keegan got off as well! Gaa continue to ruin my week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

but1er wrote: »

Baffled how Keegan got off as well! Gaa continue to ruin my week

What did you think Keegan was going to get suspended for?

Or do you mean last year's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

elefant wrote: »
    What did you think Keegan was going to get suspended for?

Or do you mean last year's?

The punch the obstruction?

Like Connolly took him to the ground and "swung" didn't see any connection in his punch so how can you do him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Like Connolly took him to the ground and "swung" didn't see any connection in his punch so how can you do him?

Keegans this year was a yellow at most, that sort of ****e (unfort) happens all over the pitch.

I never did get why he was let off last year. Thought it was a soft red but a strike is a strike (unless you are from Mayo :cool:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

**** targeting anyone. The only target we should be setting is making sure COC doesn't get the opportunity to score more than a token few points from frees.

As mentioned before McCarthy was like a headless chicken in the tackle. Cooper spent more time pulling off the ball then worrying about the ball and then we have the crazy kung fu tackle.

McMahon was in fairness in a genuine physical battle with a huge man and Mayos main outlet. There was always going to be problems there.

COS done some things that beggared belief for an experienced player.

Play our game. Use your brain and this game is there for us. It's obvious the first altercation is going to lead to a red so stay out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

What punch? And you can't get sent off for an obstruction, never mind suspended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Paulzx wrote: »

Play our game. Use your brain and this game is there for us.

Brilliant advice.

elefant wrote: »
    What punch? And you can't get sent off for an obstruction, never mind suspended.

You gotta love him seeing Keegan throwing punches but not being able to see Connolly clearly throwing anything :D

All this anger and outrage is fantastic. Maybe if the Dubs stop punching people they might be in a better position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Keegans this year was a yellow at most, that sort of ****e (unfort) happens all over the pitch.

I never did get why he was let off last year. Thought it was a soft red but a strike is a strike (unless you are from Mayo :cool:)

He got off through an admin error. The ref's report said he struck the Kerry lad, when he actually didn't make any connection at all. Truth be told it was a nonsense red in the first place, he barely lifted his leg off the ground and had been clearly targeted by the Kerry lads. I find it amusing that people are making excuses for Connolly being targeted, yet are happy to condemn keegan for reacting to being targeted himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

STB. wrote: »
    We have won 2 all irelands in the past 4 years. Back in your box.

Nice stats there.:rolleyes:

You could also say that Dublin have won 3 in 20 years or 4 in 32 years. Ain't numbers funny!

Anyway you slice it its a poor return for a county that has always had savage talent at its disposal and plays every game at home.

In saying that I hope that Dublin win in the replay:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Nice stats there.:rolleyes:

You could also say that Dublin have won 3 in 20 years or 4 in 32 years. Ain't numbers funny!

Anyway you slice it its a poor return for a county that has always had savage talent at its disposal and plays every game at home.

In saying that I hope that Dublin win in the replay:)

Yes they are nice stats Domo. They are also recent stats. They are in response to someone calling the current Dubs bottlers (a Mayo fan).

Stats are especially relevant if they include the same panel, who in this case have 3 consecutive League medals to go with that..... the last time Mayo saw some silverware was when they were handing out the prizes at the Castlebar Song Contest in the 80s.

Dublin's home ground is Parnell Park, but you knew that. The GAA make the decisions about where the games are played. Not that it makes any odds. McHale Park didn't make a difference a few months back when Mayo were handed a 14 point thrashing by the Dubs.....

:rolleyes: Yourself.

Yes they are nice stats Domo. They are also recent stats. They are in response to someone calling the current Dubs bottlers (a Mayo fan).

That was me. And the Dubs completely bottled Sunday. Mayo bottling v Meath in 1996 does not negate that fact unfortunately.

Stats are especially relevant if they include the same panel, who in this case have 3 consecutive League medals to go with that..... the last time Mayo saw some silverware was when they were handing out the prizes at the Castlebar Song Contest in the 80s.

Dublin's home ground is Parnell Park, but you knew that. The GAA make the decisions about where the games are played. Not that it makes any odds. McHale Park didn't make a difference a few months back when Mayo were handed a 14 point thrashing by the Dubs.....

:rolleyes: Yourself.

Some might say that a Castlebar Song contest medal if worth more that a league medal!;)

Pal, if want any kind of credibility when discussing Dublin GAA you need to be honest with yourself.

The last thing this thread/world needs is another offended Cartoon Dub:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    That was me. And the Dubs completely bottled Sunday. Mayo bottling v Meath in 1996 does not negate that fact unfortunately.

And you still do not release how ironic that is ?

Its nothing to do with 1996. You are just underachievers. You may pick up one soon and I hope yis do, but please don't call a current team with trophies and winners medals bottlers, especially if you have only ever seen silverware on the telly being won by someone else's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the last time Mayo saw some silverware was when they were handing out the prizes at the Castlebar Song Contest in the 80s.

Ouch

And you still do not release how ironic that is ?

Its nothing to do with 1996. You are just underachievers. You may pick up one soon and I hope yis do, but please don't call a current team with trophies and winners medals bottlers, especially if you have only ever seen silverware on the telly being won by someone else's team.

I think he's quite clearly saying that the Dubs bottled it on Sunday. Not sure how you can disagree with that

That might make people feel better but its the wrong option. Dublin should concentrate on playing football. Its where they've the clear advantage. McLoughlin and O' Connor got into it with the Dublin defenders last week but it suited them. Why? On the evidence they're far less likely to react and fall foul of the referee. That and they've **** all else to contribute in open play!

Yeah, i suppose the best way to keep him out of the game is not giving away easy frees.

Domo1982 wrote: »
    I think he's quite clearly saying that the Dubs bottled it on Sunday. Not sure how you can disagree with that

The original poster said:
    Peist2007 wrote: »
    Mayo will win the replay handy enough i reckon. The complete choking of the Dubs (again)

So When was the last time they chocked - must have been in the past, jus like Mayo choke every single year.

One could say that Mayo chocked last Sunday - where were they in the first half, against a very underpar Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah, i suppose the best way to keep him out of the game is not giving away easy frees.

Absolutely - I'd give any of their forwards a chance from open play rather than O'Connor from placed ball. Their 2 best attacking threats are Keegan and Higgins - but in order for them to engage in attack they have to break their defensive structure.

Dublins biggest mistake on Sunday was overestimating how good Mayo were in attack. The contrived narrative now would have you believe that Mayos change in tactics in the last 10 minutes is their blueprint for Saturday. There were a couple of issues at play here -

we were 7 points up they had to chase the game.

We sat deeper protecting the goal as points alone was never going to win it for Mayo.

The peno rattled us rightly - no getting around that in fairness.

All 3 of the recognised midfielders were gone - plus the subsequent red card and Alan Brogan shipping a big knock - the scope or inclination wasn't there to hit them on the break.

I really hope that Mayo persist with this tactic Saturday - a game of open football will suit us down to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Absolutely - I'd give any of their forwards a chance from open play rather than O'Connor from placed ball. Their 2 best attacking threats are Keegan and Higgins - but in order for them to engage in attack they have to break their defensive structure.

Dublins biggest mistake on Sunday was overestimating how good Mayo were in attack. The contrived narrative now would have you believe that Mayos change in tactics in the last 10 minutes is their blueprint for Saturday. There were a couple of issues at play here -

we were 7 points up they had to chase the game.

We sat deeper protecting the goal as points alone was never going to win it for Mayo.

The peno rattled us rightly - no getting around that in fairness.

All 3 of the recognised midfielders were gone - plus the subsequent red card and Alan Brogan shipping a big knock - the scope or inclination wasn't there to hit them on the break.

I really hope that Mayo persist with this tactic Saturday - a game of open football will suit us down to the ground.

Agreed. I've seen lots of criticisim from Mayo fans about how they stood off the Dublin kick outs and allowed Cluxton kick to his corner backs. To me it was a masterstroke by Mayo. It seriously fecked up the Dublin momentem moving forward and put Dublin players who didn't seem comfortable on the ball at center stage.

I seriously hope that Mayo push up on our kick outs and force us to play it a bit further out the field from the kick. It will give us much more space.

I don't think they'll do that at the start though

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The original poster said:

So When was the last time they chocked - must have been in the past, jus like Mayo choke every single year.

One could say that Mayo chocked last Sunday - where were they in the first half, against a very underpar Dublin?

What a terrible argument. The Dubs didnt choke last Sunday or in 2014 or in 2006 because Mayo "choke every single year".

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Nothing wrong with a bit of rough play within the rules , If any of the lads do decide to go down this route be smart about it and hit him with a fair shoulder and nothing more.
    Don't let him or anyone play act to get the lads carded early on because that is asking for trouble and after Sunday the ref might have already decided I need to be card happy on Saturday to keep the game in check.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement