Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

3.5 hrs to the game, no team announced! Is this a first?

I know the announced team means hack but its still weird.

Dubs match tracker tweeted a team earlier on but it seems to have disappeared, maybe it was false. They had Alan Brogan starting at 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Team won't be named til before the game according to DCB official twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Heading in now. Best of luck to everyone & here's to another glorious day for our glorious capital !

Ath Cliath Abuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Maybe you have the blinkers on?
    Do you not agree that the Mayo Lad was in the wrong initially and had he concentrated on the ball, that none of this would have happened. Let's see if your man enough to admit that?

I'm not gonna bother there's no talking to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Well done to the Dublin ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well done to our wimmin. Best looking ladies in the country.
    Still no team news. Must be due any minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EnergyBlaster

Is this match on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Is this match on tv?
    Yes, RTE 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Great win for the lads, delighted for us :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I enjoyed that immensely.

Roll on the 20th

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

So both the Dublin men and women into All Ireland finals, good day for ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

not yet wrote: »
    Logic dictates that Mayo will bottle it on more time, Dublin by 3-5.

And logic is always right, beautiful colour is blue..

It's that easy when you play football.
    Mayo a shocking team. I'd run faster backwards than AOS.

Roll on Kerry.

Alive, alive ohhhhh, alive, alive ooohhhh...crying cockles & mussels...alive, alive ohhhh...

Chocolate hobnobs people

Chocolate FCUKING hobnobs !!!!

Ok troops, that was just the phoney war. It's time to man those battle stations for reals now.

We are at DefCon 5 for the next 2 weeks...

You have been warned !

Oh ok then....one more song so while I swally this pint...

Raised on songs and stories...heros of renown....

Altogether now....

Alive, alive ohhhhh, alive, alive ooohhhh...crying cockles & mussels...alive, alive ohhhh...

Chocolate hobnobs people

Ok troops, that was just the phoney war. It's time to man those battle stations for reals now.

You have been warned !

Altogether now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

That's how you finish off the last ten mins of a game. I'm not sure but Kev Mac for mayor is Defo needed. What a genuine hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I loved those last ten minutes, philly point on 63 was a work of art.

The keep ball really frustrates the opposition, some late swipes and kicks from mayo during it. Must just wear you down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Cian seemed to tweak his hamstring. Hopefully it's not going to prevent him training or being available next day.

Will Dean Rock start the final or will Cluxton be practicing frees for the next two weeks. Dean was atrocious from open play today. And then if he's not getting the frees. Sheehan will be putting over the fifty yard kicks all day.

I was directly in front of Cian as he pulled up. Definite hammer. Would be surprised if he makes the final if my own hamstring experiences are anything to go by.
    Hopefully I'm wrong and it's only a tweak but he pulled up very sharp which isn't a good sign.

Buzzing here lads. Voice is gone. Pints are flowing. See you's on Wednesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Note with interest that after busting COS last week, O'Connor stuck the hand into at least three dublin players faces to no respone from the ref.

Delighted to see the weasley hoor sent home with nattin again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why is Paul Mannion not involved anymore?

Why is Paul Mannion not involved anymore?

he's out fordin these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

today just shows you how much we missed O'Carroll last week. He brings great stability and super distribution, no wonder we missed him last week

Slattsy wrote: »
    Followed COC closely today. What a rat. Every chance he got he was either falling over feigning injury, looking at the ref or linesman moaning about something or throwing sly little slaps. Pathetic excuse for a man. Terrible footballer from open play too. I'd mark him out of a game. Actually me grandfather would.

I'd have no problem with Mayo him aside I have to say. Very sly.

True, I'd add one or two more to that list though..

In saying that the Mayo lads seemed gracious after the whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mayo fan here. Well done to Dublin. Hope ye go on to win it now. Fully deserved win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Slattsy wrote: »
    I was directly in front of Cian as he pulled up. Definite hammer. Would be surprised if he makes the final if my own hamstring experiences are anything to go by.
    Hopefully I'm wrong and it's only a tweak but he pulled up very sharp which isn't a good sign.

Buzzing here lads. Voice is gone. Pints are flowing. See you's on Wednesday!

Are you sure Slattsy? I watched him and thought thats just a calf seizing up on him. Pray its that because the more he touched the ball today the better we played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

ProudDUB wrote: »

Chocolate hobnobs people

You have been warned !

Altogether now....

No way dude. Its Jammie Dodgers to the max.

In fact I'm also buying a double pack of toffee pops and a strawberry cheesecake to celebrate

corny wrote: »
    Are you sure Slattsy? I watched him and thought thats just a calf seizing up on him. Pray its that because the more he touched the ball today the better we played.

At the end of th egame it did look pretty bad alright.

knird evol wrote: »
    Cian seemed to tweak his hamstring. Hopefully it's not going to prevent him training or being available next day.

Will Dean Rock start the final or will Cluxton be practicing frees for the next two weeks. Dean was atrocious from open play today. And then if he's not getting the frees. Sheehan will be putting over the fifty yard kicks all day.

He looks very low on confidence. One of his free attempts in particular today was appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I thought our bench were superb today, great to see Kev Mc bag 1-2 and MDMA control midfield. Paddy Andrews gave a display in point taking in the 1st half and Berno created and scored freely, big plus was Phillys discipline and the fact he bagged 1-2 off one of the favourites for POTY. All in all a great day in HQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

The way cooper stood there and just looked at SOS after that shoulder and calmly watched as sos lost the plot was hilarious.

Great win, I really thought it was gone but the bench were immense. Everyone of them made an impact. Great to see Mcauley do so well.

What the hell does Gavin do with Rock in the final?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

He looks very low on confidence. One of his free attempts in particular today was appalling.

What annoyed me was handpassing the ball to a stationary player surrounded by four mayo men. possession turned over. deciding to go up the line when there was a mayo man standing on the line. Pushes him out of play - possession turned over. Never mind winning ball inside or taking scores - if he's handing the ball back to the opposition through poor decision making then he's a liability. He was in the team for place kicks and you can't rely on him for them.
    A dip in form, and maybe he will come strong again, but I wouldn't start him for the final. Not short of forwards playing well and Alan Brogan was very good again when he came in today.

McCauleys best performance in two years. What a time to find some form.
    Mayo put a lot of ball towards Andy Moran when he came on and Fitzsimons contained him very well.
    Parsons seemed to hurt his hand early on and didn't play great and when Seamie went off their midfield went out of it completely. Fenton was very good.

I'd be immensely proud if i was a Dublin player tonight. Answered all the criticisms from last week. Some of them were valid mind you the nasty scenes and all. But some of the rubbish about lack of character and bottle were answered in the best way possible.

Oh and we beat them in midfield too. Add that to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

DRP statement

So long story short, he got off on a technicality. Two weeks until the full report is on the website, but it basically says that the CCCC or CHC didn't do something correctly and that is the reason he got off

It actually sounds more like the GAA didn't give Connolly all of the video evidence, in particular the evidence that shows he was being held down in a choke-hold and acted in self-defence. Poor form on their part, either due to incompetence or anti-Dublin bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

The way cooper stood there and just looked at SOS after that tackle and calmly watched as sos lost the plot was hilarious.

Tackle? To be fair I thought the match was played in a good spirit, SOS could have gotten red for his actions but Cooper was 'at it'.

• Advertisement

Jippo wrote: »
    Tackle? To be fair I thought the match was played in a good spirit, SOS could have gotten red for his actions but Cooper was 'at it'.

Probably but it was just a shoulder. There were about a million instances of that last week and the Mayo players didn't bat an eyelid. Wonder why he lost it today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Great,great win for Dublin. Right up there with any Dublin result from any era.
    Big players stood up when it mattered most. As a neutral I would've always liked to see Mayo lift Sam, but with all the s###e talked since the drawn game with Mayo players making stupid statements like they were being headbutted etc, we just have to hand it to Dublin. Hardly a word from the camp all week, just like Kerry last year, they let Mayo do all the talking, but when the game was in the melting pot the big Mayo names couldn't 'walk the walk'.
    Well done Dublin and best of luck in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

one muts also praise the ref, with the exception of the hop ball he got most things perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

washman3 wrote: »
    Great,great win for Dublin. Right up there with any Dublin result from any era.
    Big players stood up when it mattered most. As a neutral I would've always liked to see Mayo lift Sam, but with all the s###e talked since the drawn game with Mayo players making stupid statements like they were being headbutted etc, we just have to hand it to Dublin. Hardly a word from the camp all week, just like Kerry last year, they let Mayo do all the talking, but when the game was in the melting pot the big Mayo names couldn't 'walk the walk'.
    Well done Dublin and best of luck in the final.

That sums it up for me actually. Mayo didn't walk the walk at all, despite all the talk this week. The whole Mayo set up in terms of some fans and commentators is built on the BS of 1951, a feeling that they "deserve" it and obviously the aspect that they have been knocking on the door so long that it should happen. Disrespectful to the team in a funny kind of way.

That said, the Mayo management and team did what they had to do. But ultimately, you have to do enough to win. The Mayo goal changed the game. I expected Mayo to push on and Dublin to collapse, but credit to Dublin for upping the anti and going for it. A -4 to a +7 turnaround. May have been only 3 scores, but the composure Dublin displayed and the patience undid Mayo in the closing stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

As a Mayo fan I certainly hope we meet again next year. Games like today and last week are what make the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well done to you guys today.Outstanding performance,we were well beaten.Go on and win the final now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm really failing to see what Rock offers from play. Really like the guy. But everything outside of his dead ball kicking before today just gets a big wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Really impressed with the Dublin performance today. It was the non headline stuff that made me happy. I was in the Cusack Upper right down at the Daving corner so I got a really good luck at the Mayo attack and the Dublin defence in the first half.

This was the area that worried me before the game. However, at half time I was really happy how things were going despite conceding 10 scores.

The Dublin defenders coped really well for the whole of the first half. Mayo really only played 1 and sometimes 2 attackers in near the goal. It left them few options inside. After the first few long balls in came to nothing they stopped playing them.

The Dubs tackled with great discipline and intelligence and this was shown by the fact that many of the Mayo scores in the first half were brilliant points scored from distance as the defenders kept forcing them to turn back out.

As a defender you've done your job if you are forcing shots from distance. If they go over so be it but at least avoid the easy frees or easy points in close. Even the frees we conceded were much less clear cut fouls than last week. Gavin must have hammered them on discipline this week.

Even when we went 4 points down I felt the game was still within our grasp. The substitutions again changed the dynamic. A stronger bench than our opponents again paid dividneds.

Om the subject of Connolly performance I was delighted he was a bit subdued and is not the story of the game. It was quite obvious he was not reacting to anything and walked straight away anytime he was fouled.

Thankfully he did not score a winner or bring any attention on his head. It will allow him to avoid being the focus of attention in the build up to the final.

Mayo were unlucky. I didn't think it was a 7 point game. Probably flattered Dublin slightly. I though COC was very poor today and offered nothing from play and AOS was isolated by the Dublin defence. MAyo need to find something different for next year if they are going to win one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Rock shouldn't start. He offers nothing from play and he isn't that good a free taker.

Andrews and Kilkenny carried our forward line for long periods. Bernard blew hot n cold, Connolly was terrible.

I don't care if Kev Mc is our 'super sub', he's a much better player than Rock and should start. He's shown previously that he can contribute from the start as well.

Regardless of the bolloxology that goes on pre match I think every single GAA fan will admit it's an incredible game, played by incredible Irishmen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks seligehgit. I was quiet last week, to be honest I felt a bit let down by both teams. I still saw a side of a couple of players from each team that sadly I won't forget but I'm delighted football was played today. Credit to both teams. I thought AOS and Connelly exchanging shirts was a great moment. There was too much pressure on AOS, the management possibly underestimated the impact ROC would have.

This is only the first year with this set up for Mayo, lots to work on with good players.

As for us . ROC made a big difference, and showed what a loss he was last week. Bringing on Fitzsimons on for Cooper when A Moran came on was a great move, possibly the best of the game, unfortunately for Mayo he's the only sub they have with scores in him. He's better than three or four of the lads they start but just maybe can't last 70 minutes?

Fenton continues to impress, he sets up attacks and is currently our best kick passer along side Flynn.

Bastic has to start games. He hits very hard and fair and the Mayo lads felt it today, you'd have to have been at the match to see it , he was very good. Mayo like us last week lost three midfielders. The hits he put in last week were great but they are needed earlier in the game.

McCarthy was excellent his running , passing, covering space , plus his point just before the goal was very very important for me it was a turning point in the game and showed his leadership skills.

MDMA was like a different man, playing in his defensive position just like the player Gilroy helped create.

Rock, started better today , did a bit , needs confidence, might not start again.

Kerry will watch Fentons runs he is a dangerous player, his back heel for the goal last week showed great awareness.

COS, I hope he's ok, we'd need him for gooch.

I thought that largly we ignored mayos poorer forwards and doubled up on their more dangerous ones, it worked.

All the Kerry lads are dangerous though.

Hopefully Flynn can get himself together in two weeks.

Also on today. Four lovely balls dropped into Brogan, my kingdom for O'Gara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

not yet wrote: »
    True, I'd add one or two more to that list though..

In saying that the Mayo lads seemed gracious after the whistle.

Yeah huge respect to Mayo after the whistle, not the easiest of circumstances to be magnanimous and fair play in particular to AOS for searching out DC at the end
    ArielAtom wrote: »
    I thought our bench were superb today, great to see Kev Mc bag 1-2 and MDMA control midfield. Paddy Andrews gave a display in point taking in the 1st half and Berno created and scored freely, big plus was Phillys discipline and the fact he bagged 1-2 off one of the favourites for POTY. All in all a great day in HQ.

Paddy Andrews showed today why he was the best forward in club football 3-4 years ago phenomenal performance off Keith Higgins. Alan Brogan is just a class player to pull the strings at the end of a game.

I'll get yiz there with me sooner or later - Philly McMahons rise to the top table of IC players continues .. he was liquid gold today
    I'd be immensely proud if i was a Dublin player tonight. Answered all the criticisms from last week. Some of them were valid mind you the nasty scenes and all. But some of the rubbish about lack of character and bottle were answered in the best way possible.

Oh and we beat them in midfield too. Add that to the list.

Fenton has been find of the year for us - SOS black card had a massive impact I thought. Couldn't have been happier to see MDM just giving us a glimpse of his old self - onwards and upwards Mick

I'm really failing to see what Rock offers from play. Really like the guy. But everything outside of his dead ball kicking before today just gets a big wtf.

People being a bit harsh on Rock i feel. He got on a good bit of ball in the opening quarter and worked very hard tracking back throughout. Yeah he makes mistakes and he's not unbelievably mobile like some of the other Dublin forwards.

I personally wouldn't play him but i think we shouldn't go overboard on his weaknesses.

DoctaDee wrote: »

I'll get yiz there with me sooner or later - Philly McMahons rise to the top table of IC players continues .. he was liquid gold today

these two games have silenced a lot of his critics, massive performances. Dare we whisper "all star"?

People being a bit harsh on Rock i feel. He got on a good bit of ball in the opening quarter and worked very hard tracking back throughout. Yeah he makes mistakes and he's not unbelievably mobile like some of the other Dublin forwards.

I personally wouldn't play him but i think we shouldn't go overboard on his weaknesses.

Forgot to add it wasn't too long ago he was a decent impact sub himself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement