Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sunburnt

Hi all

Quick question - it is my birthday this weekend and my uncle has gotten me a ticket for the match on Sunday as a birthday present. I just need to collect it from Dorset Street ticket office on Sunday morning (apparently I cannot do it before then?). Anyways, I have the email with the barcode but it says on it to bring the card that I booked it on with me - seeing as it was my uncle who booked it, do I need to bring this card? My uncle lives down the country so I wont have the card. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
    Sunburnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Probably go to Smiths in Phibs beforehand. Although the pints were pretty bad there before the Mayo match, i dont want to break a winning streak (1/1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

2-11 to 1-9 You heard it here first folks..

Both teams are quality and a step above anything around at the moment, but I honestly believe Dublin have the edge and The Kerry backs will not cope with the Dublin attack..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

sunburnt wrote: »
    Hi all

Quick question - it is my birthday this weekend and my uncle has gotten me a ticket for the match on Sunday as a birthday present. I just need to collect it from Dorset Street ticket office on Sunday morning (apparently I cannot do it before then?). Anyways, I have the email with the barcode but it says on it to bring the card that I booked it on with me - seeing as it was my uncle who booked it, do I need to bring this card? My uncle lives down the country so I wont have the card. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
    Sunburnt

Any time I have picked up tickets at the ticket office, I have been asked to verify the name and address of the card holder/ticket purchaser. Once I could do that, they handed the ticket over. I wasn't asked to produce the credit card, even though the terms and conditions of the purchase said I did. That was the drill when I bought GAA tickets on Tickets.ie.

However, tickets for the All Ireland final do not go on general sale to the public, so I am not sure how/where your uncle purchased the ticket, or what the terms and conditions of the sale are. If you are picking the ticket up at the official ticket office, I presume its from a legit source and not a third party ticket touting website. If your uncle is ok with you having it, it may be no harm to know the credit card number and the exact billing name and address, as you'll probably be asked for at least one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

I do have a problem paying 6euro a pint.

Used to myself. But on my average night out (8/10pints) every 2/3 weeks at best it doesn't add up to much for having the craic winding up some tourists in Temple Bar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Might also double check the Sunday opening as from memory can't recall seeing it open but then again all rules are out the window on AI day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Only thinking of the days you could get a right good fill up nice an early in Berminghams on Dorset Street, the secret knock opened many a door - fellas must've slept on the floor the night before an AI judging by the cut of a few !

God....is it still only Wednesday.....this week is really draaaaaaaaaaagggggging.....

ProudDUB wrote: »
    God....is it still only Wednesday.....this week is really draaaaaaaaaaagggggging.....

Are ya confident PD ?

• Advertisement

How do people think the game will go anyway?

I can see Kerry being very defensive, like they were in last years final. Maybe even more so given our firepower.
    Our half backs and half forwards running at them from deep will frighten the life out of em'. So they'll be very negative. Probably play 2 sweepers maybe?

Hope COS is fit, i thinks he's a huge player for us and a massive blow if he's out. Who replaces him if he's out? Will Small come in, or possible M Fitz will start with someone like Cooper playing the number 6?

Dublin by 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I know it's football week etc and correctly so but point of note is shay boland has left Dublin hurling
    Cunningjham is going to change he's back room team a bit
    Cunningjham probably do lot coaching himself
    Boland is good hurling man with under age in Dublin but I think him leaving is good think Dublin in its always hard management work with guy they got job ahead of
    I think boland lot offer Dublin hurling but I think cunningjham game plan posession oriented and boland style play are different and I think next year Dublin will be totally posession oriented and won't be as much changing between style

Winning an all ireland is unlikely with kk ahead but I do expect Dublin to do well next year
    Dublin have cork in the league at home in hurling next spring in its double header with football league game also in provision league fixtures
    As regards sunday should be great games
    As many know here I'm huge fan gavin and indeed fitzmaurice as being from cork doesn't blind me to know outstanding management when I see it
    Sunday probably won't be a classic open game but a tactics master mind i expect
    Two great footballers team but two imo geuine outstanding management tactically
    There can only be one winner though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Slattsy wrote: »

I can see Kerry being very defensive, like they were in last years final. Maybe even more so given our firepower.
    Our half backs and half forwards running at them from deep will frighten the life out of em'. So they'll be very negative. Probably play 2 sweepers maybe?

Hope COS is fit, i thinks he's a huge player for us and a massive blow if he's out. Who replaces him if he's out? Will Small come in, or possible M Fitz will start with someone like Cooper playing the number 6?

Dublin by 5.

I think Kerry will be very conscious of keeping it tight defensively but I don't think it means they will be completely negative. With the talent they have up front it would be suicide to waste it on a completley negative gameplan.

First half will probably be tight with things opening up a bit more in the second as fatigue and both teams natural inclination to attack sets in.

If Mcmanoman comes on with 20 to go and scores a winning goal I'll cream myself on the spot:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Dublin by 5.

Small 100%. Cian would be a big blow but I don't want him playing if he's not fully fit, 2 weeks to recover from a hammy injury isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I think that's wishful thinking.

COS would be a massive loss would be harsh on the player too. Never like seeing lads missing out on finals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Does anyone know, if its a draw will replay be on the following Sunday?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't say so .. the ladies are out the following Sunday

What do we reckon for the team/matchups? I'd go with the same bar Rock for Alan or Kev, although I think Dean will get more space against Kerry. Bastick ahead of MD again who can come off the bench.

ROC on JOD, Philly on Geaney/Donaghy, COS on gooch if he's fit? Hard to know as JOD drifts out deep a lot more this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Given what's happened with the Hurling finals and the semi-finals this year and last year, it could be on the Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Shay Boland has left Dublin hurling
    That's Cian Boland dropped...
    Cunningham is going to change he's back room team a bit
    It'll be interesting to see what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublin by 5.

Small is the only man with experience of playing that role this year (i think). If there's no change in gameplan its probably least disruptive if he plays. Mind you he's deserving of his place regardless imo. He did nothing wrong in the league or his cameos in the championship.

Cooper was too easily turned by Moran last day and also gave up a needless free. Looked a little leggy throughout for me. I think he should pay for it with his place. Fitzsimons has done enough to force his way back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

corny wrote: »
    Small is the only man with experience of playing that role this year (i think). If there's no change in gameplan its probably least disruptive if he plays. Mind you he's deserving of his place regardless imo. He did nothing wrong in the league or his cameos in the championship.

Cooper was too easily turned by Moran last day and also gave up a needless free. Looked a little leggy throughout for me. I think he should pay for it with his place. Fitzsimons has done enough to force his way back in.

Yup. I'd have Fitz in.

Big Mick Fitz fan but i think Cooper will stay in, he's had bad days before and stayed in. Gavin likes his corner backs to fly forward like Jonny does.

I still think ROC and Fitz are our 2 best man markers so I'd have him on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lot of folk in the meeja tipping Kerry - lovely!

???? almost everybody ive seen has tipped Dublin.

id say if theres 10 pundits giving their views this week (ex current players & managers), 7 or 8 of them have picked Dublin.

???? almost everybody ive seen has tipped Dublin.

id say if theres 10 pundits giving their views this week (ex current players & managers), 7 or 8 of them have picked Dublin.

Some seriously accurate stats there.

Only Pete McGrath is all I've seen tipping Dublin.

Don't ye prefer to be in the long grass anyway. Cute hoors and all that.

TBH, it is all Kerry in the media. Even with the pundits and ex-players on the radio it's been mostly Kerry from what I heard.

Does it really matter? All it does for me is mean I have less radio to hear as I can't stand listening to ex-Kerry players saying nothing but talking loads.

Dublin by a couple. I hope it's a miserable game to really wind ye up. Loads of puke football. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Some seriously accurate stats there.

Only Pete McGrath is all I've seen tipping Dublin.

McStay, Karl Lacey, Jim McGuinness, Paddy Heaney have gone for the Dubs.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    McStay, Karl Lacey, Jim McGuinness, Paddy Heaney have gone for the Dubs.

So that's 5 in total now.

So that's 5 in total now.

For Kerry I have: Oisin McConville, John Heslin, Dara O'Se, Aaron Kernan, Damien Lawlor.

So it's pretty even from what I see.

A year ago, all the pundits and the dogs on the street, were predicting a big Dublin win over Donegal in the semi final.

We all know what happened there.

This year, most pundits were predicting a Mayo win in the semi final and in the replay....along the lines of " I just have a feeling that this is Mayos year....Dublin are under cooked." etc etc.

We all know what happened there.

I honestly don't care what the pundits think or say anymore. None of them are playing on Sunday. If one of them points out an area of strength or weakness, or an aspect of tactics that I hadn't thought of before....that's great. But when it comes to who they think will win, I really don't care anymore. It's irrelevant.

I think that Dublin will win because they have better players...not every where, but in most positions. They have a better bench and the 2 Mayo games will have blown any cobwebs of complacency out of their systems. I may be wrong, but there ya go.

But whether I am right or wrong on the outcome of the game, one thing is for sure. As in all AI finals, the game will be won by the side that has the most players that turn up on the day & whatever manager makes the best decisions on the sideline. The pundits have no effing clue how any of that is going to go, so I just don't care about them anymore.

Dubs by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Sorry to go off point but I was just wondering how relegation worked in the Dublin football leagues? Is it teams straight down or are their playoffs involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

. They have a better bench

I don't actually agree with you on that. This match is one of the few occasions when Dublin's opposition have a bench as strong as if not stronger than Dublin.

That's not to say that Dublin's bench can't win the game for us. We have a proven recent history of subs having a huge impact on a game.

However, for me Kerry have just as strong a bench on paper

• Advertisement

Games aren't played on paper Paulzx. They are played on the pitch. :P Before the Tyrone semifinal, I think I read that Kerrys top 3 scorers were all on the bench that day. That's great and Donaghy did have a massive impact last year. But compared to the overall long term influence that our subs have and have consistently had ....Kev Mc, MDMA, Bastic, Alan Brogan etc etc.... I think the scales tip in our favour. They've been doing it better and for longer than any other counties. It's also not just about who has better players on the bench. Some players are just not suited to the role, no matter how good they are. They are just not mentally wired to make the same contribution from the bench, as they do when they start. Our bench has been a big factor for so long now, our lads have the mental edge there too imo.

Or if you couldn't be bothered reading all that.

I have two word for you.

Kevin McMennamin.

End of discussion. :D

Paulzx wrote: »
    I don't actually agree with you on that. This match is one of the few occasions when Dublin's opposition have a bench as strong as if not stronger than Dublin.

That's not to say that Dublin's bench can't win the game for us. We have a proven recent history of subs having a huge impact on a game.

However, for me Kerry have just as strong a bench on paper

I'm biased but I'd pick our bench every day of the week. Outside of Brogan, none of the rest are great attacking options imo. If Rock has another stinker, then Alan comes on. If another gets injured/black carded then you are bringing far less claibre of player.

MDMA or Bastic
    Fitzsimons
    McManamon
    Alan Brogan
    Eric Lowndes
    John Small
    Costello

v

Paul Geaney or Donaghy
    Darran O'Sullivan
    BJ Keane
    Tommy Walsh
    Fionn Fitzgerald
    Aidan O'Mahony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'm biased but I'd pick our bench every day of the week. Outside of Brogan, none of the rest are great attacking options imo. If Rock has another stinker, then Alan comes on. If another gets injured/black carded then you are bringing far less claibre of player.

MDMA or Bastic
    Fitzsimons
    McManamon
    Alan Brogan
    Eric Lowndes
    John Small
    Costello

v

Paul Geaney or Donaghy
    Darran O'Sullivan
    BJ Keane
    Tommy Walsh
    Fionn Fitzgerald
    Aidan O'Mahony

Mc Manamon not a decent attacker?

salmocab wrote: »
    Mc Manamon not a decent attacker?

My bad....

I would still take our combined 10 forwards over yours by a long way.

Andrews had a good day v Mayo, but will he preform the next day? Flynn off form, booting bad wides. Connolly I expect to be back to his usual standard in the final. Kilkenny I expect to have a stormer.

Rock I just can't see him having much influence, maybe if he gets a few handy frees early door to get the nerves settled, but I just can't see it.

Ciano will be a huge loss for you imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Best of luck lads. Will be watching the match from pub stool but hope our leinster brethren do it.

My bad....

Andrews had a good day v Mayo, but will he preform the next day? Flynn off form, booting bad wides. Connolly I expect to be back to his usual standard in the final. Kilkenny I expect to have a stormer.

Rock I just can't see him having much influence, maybe if he gets a few handy frees early door to get the nerves settled, but I just can't see it.

It's not just about the forwards scoring big goals pts, or contributing towards them being scored. Look at what MDMA did against ye back in 2013. One diving lunge from him and BOOM the ball was in the back of the net 15 seconds later. In the 2013 final, Dennis Bastick came on and within about 45 seconds, Berno had the ball in the back of the net thanks to a brilliant pass from him. One of them will be coming off the bench on Sunday. Who do you have if Maher or Moran begin to tire or are injured or in poor form? (Was Maher not carrying a knock in the semifinal?) Add in what Alan Brogan contributes too and the energy, vision and match days smarts they they all contribute - and have a history of contributing - really, really stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

My bad....

A long way is a gross exaggeration but i probably agree with you that Kerry have greater depth. However, the damage Dublins in form starters and impact subs can do shouldn't be taken lightly. Not saying you are of course.

Its actually a fine achievement that Dublin are still effective in racking up scores. O' Gara and Mannion missing, Costello in the doldrums, Rock not contributing from play as one would hope and Flynn our 4 time All Star not having the season we've got used to seeing. Testament to the lads steeping up no doubt.

Funny that. McCaffrey and KK got lost in the 2013 final. Now we're hoping, and expecting, they carry us to victory.

It's not just about the forwards scoring big goals pts, or contributing towards them being scored. Look at what MDMA did against ye back in 2013. One diving lunge from him and BOOM the ball was in the back of the net 15 seconds later. In the 2013 final, Dennis Bastick came on and within about 45 seconds, Berno had the ball in the back of the net thanks to a brilliant pass from him. One of them will be coming off the bench on Sunday. Who do you have if Maher or Moran begin to tire or are injured or in poor form? (Was Maher not carrying a knock in the semifinal?) Add in what Alan Brogan contributes too and the energy, vision and match days smarts they they all contribute - and have a history of contributing - really, really stacks up.

I take your points, but MDMA was good for 10 mins against Mayo with O'Shea in the bin, and Parsons tongue was hanging out, he was dispossed the first 3 times too. EF will have a plan for that happening, likewise for when Alan and McMenamum comes on, I would guess Fionn and O'Mahony will come on and stick like glue, easier said than done of course.

Moran was carrying a knock in the semi, didnt have his best game, but was solid enough. Probably Tommy Walsh or Sheehan would go to midfield if one of the lads is whacked. They generally stay on for the full 70 though.

Alan has smarts no doubt, but Darran/Star/Tommy/Keane have more than enough smarts, medals falling out of their pockets and have serious legs and speed to come in. More than Dublin overall I would think. I can see Darran coming in and burning whoever he is on.

I would imagine ye will stick with the same 6 backs for most of the game. I don't think Cian's absence(presume) is being fully appreciated yet, but will once the game starts.

corny wrote: »
    Funny that. McCaffrey and KK got lost in the 2013 final. Now we're hoping, and expecting, they carry us to victory.

Both have come of age this year, McCaffery is the leader in the backs imo, taking ownership and driving the team up the field. These 2 and Brogan have been different class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

MaxPower89 wrote:
    Alan has smarts no doubt, but Darran/Star/Tommy/Keane have more than enough smarts, medals falling out of their pockets and have serious legs and speed to come in. More than Dublin overall I would think. I can see Darran coming in and burning whoever he is on.

At the end of the day this Dublin team has seen all these smarts before.

Whole lot of puffing going on about players we've all seen before, the lads have been here before, talking about lads only playing well for ten minutes when there are lads on the Kerry bench back from retirement and oz who haven't produced for a significant amount of time years in some cases.

Lots of gaps on both benches. Roll on Sunday,I think it will be open football.

May the best team win

For Kerry I have: Oisin McConville, John Heslin, Dara O'Se, Aaron Kernan, Damien Lawlor.

So it's pretty even from what I see.

And Conor McManus.

Stoner wrote: »
    At the end of the day this Dublin team has seen all these smarts before.

Whole lot of puffing going on about players we've all seen before, the lads have been here before, talking about lads only playing well for ten minutes when there are lads on the Kerry bench back from retirement and oz who haven't produced for a significant amount of time years in some cases.

Lots of gaps on both benches. Roll on Sunday,I think it will be open football.

May the best team win

We can't win. We don't have medals coming out of our arses.

Both have come of age this year, McCaffery is the leader in the backs imo, taking ownership and driving the team up the field. These 2 and Brogan have been different class.

I never worried about McCaf, he had a bad final that day but had been great all season. I was starting to wonder when Kilkenny would kick on though, and now he is. One of the best minors I've seen so it was a matter of time.

I don't think Brogan has been a different class, I don't really think any of our forwards have tbh. I think they've all been chipping in, bar the last 2 games when Paddy and Ciaran carried us for long periods. Its a good thing though, in the final I wouldn't expect the 2 lads to play as well as they'll be focused on, but I expect Connolly and Bernard to have more of an impact.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    2. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Killian Young Renard
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. David Moran (C) Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    11. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

Fir Ionaid
    16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    17. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    18. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    19. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    20. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
    21. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    22. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    23. Paul Galvin Finuge
    24. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys
    25. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    26. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory

Few surprises in that line up, big, not as mobile back 6. Wonder what game plan that indicates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

copacetic wrote:
    Few surprises in that line up, big, not as mobile back 6. Wonder what game plan that indicates...

I'd say it'll change on the day.

• Advertisement

Hoping Donaghy starts.

Not surprised with the lineup. Geaney was great the last day and Marc is supposed to be injured. Marc could cone back in but other than that I see nothing different, I'd prefer them to play Donaghy.

Best early house on Sunday to calm the nerves? Any around Croker?

Sorted my early house, gotta love twitter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Sorted my early house, gotta love twitter ;)

How early ?;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement