Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How early ?;)

Depends what time i get in on saturday night, but aiming for 10am ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Flags and bunting are up and nerves starting to build now. What's the latest on COS ? Does he have a good chance of making the bench,if he's not in the starting 15 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Slattsy wrote: »
    Depends what time i get in on saturday night, but aiming for 10am ish

Ah I remember the 2013 final I couldn't sleep and was up mad early my nerves were gone,So I decided to head in towards Croker where I found one of my locals open 1030ish.
    Inside there was a few Mayo supporters also having a pre match drink trying to sell me a stand ticket for a mate of mine for €300.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Anyone know the story about getting into the Gibson Hotel for the winners (:D ) banquet on Sunday night?

Two years ago, the DCB sold tickets to it for a tenner. They posted them out and you exchanged them for a wrist band on the night. You couldn't even get into the hotel unless you had the wrist band. It was a pretty crappy set up imo. The Gibson Hotel is too small to handle such an event.

I presume they aren't doing that again this year, or they would have tweeted about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And Conor McManus.

And now Bertie is tipping the Kingdom.

Turn coat !!

21.15 we can expect Dublin line up i assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Turn coat !!

21.15 we can expect a Dublin line up i assume?

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Still no whispers of tickets! Someone must have one spare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm in dire need too, running out of time.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm in dire need too, running out of time.. :(

I have accepted I wont be going to the game, hate asking around.

We have 2 between 3 of us and its my turn to miss out this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I got lucky in the club draw the other night. Wouldn't mind swapping my Davin for a Hill though. Either way I'm delighted to have one. It was very tense in the bar with the draw going on. 60 tickets for 270 people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Best of luck on Sunday lads. Hope ye do it.
    648.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Yodeling Snake

Best of luck for the big game on Sunday. Hopefully there'll be plenty of metropolitan skill on display. UP THE DUBS!
    <snip>

Marc and Murphy injured apparently, so if there is a late change for Kerry it'll be Donaghy or Sheehan at a push. I think they'll line out as is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

O'sullivan starts

12038602_712001338943322_3799205741267828064_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Same as started versus Mayo

Fully expect Bastic out for MD before throw in

Also. Wouldnt be surprised to see COS not start.

• Advertisement

I hope not.

I hope not.

Oh me too mate!

It'd be a pity for Bastick to drop out. He put in a great shift against Mayo and although MD did well off the bench he's been poor all year, and I think his style of play is really suited to tired legs. Especially seeing as teams seem to be getting to grips with tackling him.

MD has beem tripe bar his cameo against Mayo in the replay. I called it months ago, gone to the dawgs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Anyone buyin or sellin tickets..

Any have any opinions on who'll be best suited by the rain..?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Also. Wouldnt be surprised to see COS not start.

If they're worried that he's not fully recovered it would be risky to start him on the bench. If they bring him on only to find he's not at the races (or worse yet that he gets injured) it'll be a waste of a swap in a game that may hinge on the substitutions.

Better to either start him, and sub if necessary, or not have him at all.

• Advertisement

So, who marks JOD tomorrow?
    I'd have Philly on him myself. Would love the theatrics of JOD after getting the Philly McMahon love.

So, who marks JOD tomorrow?
    I'd have Philly on him myself. Would love the theatrics of JOD after getting the Philly McMahon love.

I don't know, but I wouldn't have Philly on him. If he's playing inside I'd have ROC, he did a good job on him after being moved on him in 2013. I'm worried we don't have someone capable of marking hom., but sure look, it can't go much worse than 2013 and we won that day!

I'd def have Philly on a windy lad like that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Badabing wrote: »
    O'sullivan starts
    We don't know that yet. He was only named in the "starting team" and as with most of Jim Gavin's "starting team"'s we have rarely lined out like that but they've mostly reflected the actual team that started the previous game.
    Why? Kerry are going to push up on Cluxton's kickouts. Bastic would be a much better outlet for kickouts along with Fenton.

Klinnman hits the deck if anyone so much as breaths on him sideways. I'm not sure if Philly has the eh..finesse required to deal with him, without conceding a truck load of frees. To give O'Shea his due, at least he manages to remain upright for a decent amount of time, while on the receiving end of Philly Mc TLC.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    We don't know that yet. He was only named in the "starting team" and as with most of Jim Gavin's "starting team"'s we have rarely lined out like that but they've mostly reflected the actual team that started the previous game.

Why? Kerry are going to push up on Cluxton's kickouts. Bastic would be a much better outlet for kickouts along with Fenton.

I just half expect it. MD dropped, comes on and plays really well, might be enough to sway Jim.. maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I just half expect it. MD dropped, comes on and plays really well, might be enough to sway Jim.. maybe.
    I can't see that swaying Jim. He'll base his final decision on his tactics for Kerry and who fits best into his starting plan. He'll be confident no matter who starts they'll give 110% so I reckon it will all come down to tactics.

In saying that you could be right, he may be in. I just cant see it being based on the Mayo game. Coming on as a sub versus starting is hugely different. Take McMenamon for example. Quite poor when he starts but electric when he comes on as a sub (and everybody else is a bit more tired).

12.03am.

This is it folks.

It is officially The Day Before The Day.

Gulp !

Guzzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Reading the last 2 pages has made my stomach turn.

Delighted to see COS possibly starting as well as Bastick.

Petrified that MDMA has done enough to start and that Philly will be on that diving Legion ahem.

Then again, Coldrick is so pro-Dublin that we'll get all the calls. Amiright?

The thing that is sticking in my noggin, is the managing the use of our subs wisely. That is the winning and losing of the game right there.

People say Rock was so woeful in the replay that Alan Brogan should start in his place. Now I am a massive fan of AB. I love how well he reads the game. I love how much better Bernard plays when he is on the pitch. I just love everything about him. But the sad fact is, he doesn't have the legs for 70 minutes any more. So if we start him, we will have to use up a sub to replace him eventually. Why put yourself in that position from the get go? Why not see how Rock does and then take it from there.

If Cian starts, there is no guarantee that the hammer will last the entire game, so we need to have a sub spare to replace him if need be.

If Bastick starts, just like Alan Brogan, he will not last the 70 minutes, so we'll need another sub to replace him.

That is 3 subs needed for 3 players. It really, really limits our options if Gavin needs to make substitutions else where.

So if it were me...I'd start Rock. If he performs well, we are on the pigs back. He also has the legs to last the full 70 minutes. We don't have to burn a sub replacing him. If he performs poorly, we replace him, but we haven't used up a sub unnecessarily.

Same with MDMA. Start him. If it works out, great. If it doesn't...replace him with Bastick. We'd be having to replace Bastick anyway.

So I'd be going with Deano, MDMA and Cian to start. If they perform to standard & last the full 70 minutes, that leaves us with 6 subs to be deployed as Jim Gavin sees fit. If we start mess with that number from the get go, that could leave our bench severely depleted in the last 20 minutes or so.

Really looking for a big game from Flynn and Connolly on Sunday. Fully expect them to step up a gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think its the correct team. MDMA off the bench, I think he is right now, Moran is an issue but I always thought MDMA had mahers number and I still do.

Bastic would start.

Cooper on JOD, if he gets turned inside out I'd have M Fitz on fast. I was happy with how fast the line moved to take Cooper off Andy Moran, I dont think we will have a Brennan on Cooper for too long type issue this time, the line will move faster. Fitz is a more reliable option imo, less likely to get sent off, Cooper is better suited to marking a man he needs to get ahead of like say Hurley, but not as good with a man making runs behind him, I'd have Philly no where near jod.

I'd definitely promote deveraux to the bench for this game , he'd have the speed and physicality to make an impact, remember we have no Kevin Nolan as a taller halfback option lately or Cullen.

I'm happy overall, I'd like a fit mannion but that's not for this year.

This game might also suit Costello.

Some of the lads in the job think Andrews won't feature much, but regardless he'll use up a good man and bring him for a walk too.

This will be fentons biggest test, I hope he'll come through.

If things fall the right way we have seven forwards that can score from play against anyone on a given day.

I think Crowley might shine for Kerry but my hope is that we will get four of our forwards on form , I think if that happens Kerry might be stretched too far. I recognize Enright as a class act, but there are as many questions about the form of the Kerry backs as there are about our forwards.

I think it will depend on who finds form, can Flynn put in a good shift by his standards.

Midfield is another issue, hopefully Bastic can nullify Moran as much as possible.

Gooch will stay wide again I think. He was dancing on the spot while waiting to receive the ball in the Tyrone game, I think he's been protecting/saving himself this season but he'll throw it all at this game

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The thing that is sticking in my noggin, is the managing the use of our subs wisely. That is the winning and losing of the game right there.

People say Rock was so woeful in the replay that Alan Brogan should start in his place. Now I am a massive fan of AB. I love how well he reads the game. I love how much better Bernard plays when he is on the pitch. I just love everything about him. But the sad fact is, he doesn't have the legs for 70 minutes any more. So if we start him, we will have to use up a sub to replace him eventually. Why put yourself in that position from the get go? Why not see how Rock does and then take it from there.

If Cian starts, there is no guarantee that the hammer will last the entire game, so we need to have a sub spare to replace him if need be.

If Bastick starts, just like Alan Brogan, he will not last the 70 minutes, so we'll need another sub to replace him.

That is 3 subs needed for 3 players. It really, really limits our options if Gavin needs to make substitutions else where.

So if it were me...I'd start Rock. If he performs well, we are on the pigs back. He also has the legs to last the full 70 minutes. We don't have to burn a sub replacing him. If he performs poorly, we replace him, but we haven't used up a sub unnecessarily.

Same with MDMA. Start him. If it works out, great. If it doesn't...replace him with Bastick. We'd be having to replace Bastick anyway.

So I'd be going with Deano, MDMA and Cian to start. If they perform to standard & last the full 70 minutes, that leaves us with 6 subs to be deployed as Jim Gavin sees fit. If we start mess with that number from the get go, that could leave our bench severely depleted in the last 20 minutes or so.

If Alan can give us 50 minutes I'd be delighted, then you bring on Kev who is a guarantee to come on around then anyway. Same goes for Bastick. Start the guys who will make the biggest impact from the start til near the end, and that's Alan and Bastick, not Rock and MD IMO. When they tire they tire but we have the luxury of having top class impact sub's in their positions. Kev and MD are guaranteed to come off the bench anyway, even if Alan and Bastick could last 70. Literally the only thing that would keep Rock in for me is frees, and he hasn't even been good off of them lately.

Cian is a different story because he is a key man who regularly plays 70, and I don't like the idea of subbing defenders unless its forced. And of course he's been injured, so you risk hauling him off after 5.

Anyway, I fully expect Rock to start. But I really hope Bastick starts, and I really, really, really hope that Cian is fully recovered and plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Really looking for a big game from Flynn and Connolly on Sunday. Fully expect them to step up a gear

The crux of the game right there imo, these two will need 6 points between them for the Dubs to have any chance. Keep these quiet and Kerry will tap over handy scores to win comfortably. Dubs don't have the luxury.

• Advertisement

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    The crux of the game right there imo, these two will need 6 points between them for the Dubs to have any chance. Keep these quiet and Kerry will tap over handy scores to win comfortably. Dubs don't have the luxury.

Dunno where you are pulling this random number of 6 pts from? Why not 8, or 4 or 10 or 12?

Have they been consistently kicking 6 pts from play all year? No, they haven't. Yet Dublin are still in an All Ireland final. Go figure ! :rolleyes:

I don't get it either, did you see Kilkenny and Andrews kicking off left and right for fun in the 2 semis? And another lad too, I think his name's Bernard something or other.

The lad with the Kerry mother?

Nah, he'll never amount to anything.

Great hair, but fcuk all else.

You certainly wouldn't want to be relying on him in any big game situations or anything ! :rolleyes:

I don't get it either, did you see Kilkenny and Andrews kicking off left and right for fun in the 2 semis? And another lad too, I think his name's Bernard something or other.

Bad defenders for Kilkenny and Andrews, the final is not comparable. Mayo are poor and a good step below either of Kerry and Dublin. If Bernard scores 3/4 points, I'll be happy with that.

It will be Killkenny and Andews first decent final in which they deliver meaningfully scores, if they were to do so.

Keith Higgins marked Andrews, and Mayo are far from poor. There's very little between Kerry, Mayo and Dublin, as the last 2 seasons semis have shown and I expect Sunday will show the same.

Keith Higgins marked Andrews, and Mayo are far from poor. There's very little between Kerry, Mayo and Dublin, as the last 2 seasons semis have shown and I expect Sunday will show the same.

Higgins isnt a tight maker, JOD will tell you that.

Agree Mayo are not poor, but both Dublin and Kerry are better.

Mayo are the Liverpool of the EPL, poor manager and slightly less good players.

Higgins isnt a tight maker, JOD will tell you that.

Agree Mayo are not poor, but both Dublin and Kerry are better.

Mayo are the Liverpool of the EPL, poor manager and slightly less good players.

Higgins issue is he plays in a system that left him isolated with JOD, he did very well considering and held his own. He's a brilliant defender, that's inarguable.

If Mayo were that much worse they wouldn't have been a whisker away from beating both, they should have beaten Kerry last season and could have beaten Dublin this year.

Higgins issue is he plays in a system that left him isolated with JOD, he did very well considering and held his own. He's a brilliant defender, that's inarguable.

If Mayo were that much worse they wouldn't have been a whisker away from beating both, they should have beaten Kerry last season and could have beaten Dublin this year.

They could have beaten us last year for sure, but have worse management this year and should have beaten ye, everything went their way but still they couldn't do it.

Kerry will line out as selected, why is Gavin playing game I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Kerry will line out as selected, why is Gavin playing game I wonder?

Really!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement