Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

SmallFrog wrote: »
    Dublin were certainly not the best team last year.
    3rd or 4th at best.

:D eh OK ...

Some of the Dublin substitutions were strange enough I thought. The Johnny Cooper one was made before the match I'd say and Jack McCaffrey must have been injured or why did he take him off?
    I
    Jack Mc was as sick as a dog all week, was on a drip for 24 hours and was a huge doubt beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

McCarthy was marking Darran O'Sullivan early in the second half. I had not realised they swapped. O'Sullivan done alright when he came alright. Probably the best of the Kerry substitutes.

Yeah watching the highlights he was definitely marking him. O'Sullivan lost him pretty easily more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭wadk

Well done to the lads today, that last game against mayo stood to us
    I know conditions where awful but wtf is up with cluxtons kicking and on a side note
    Up your b#*lox orourke
    I despise the man!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

SmallFrog wrote: »
    Dublin were certainly not the best team last year.
    3rd or 4th at best.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So 3 out of 5 all ireland and 3 Leagues in a row. This Dublin team has put itself amongst the greats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Some of the Dublin substitutions were strange enough I thought. The Johnny Cooper one was made before the match I'd say and Jack McCaffrey must have been injured or why did he take him off?

Credit to Gavin and Dublin management for what they got right though - the match-ups. In my opinion of the 14 outfield positions, Dublin won 12 of the personnel duels. I thought Bernard Brogan struggled a bit of Enright although he gave away a needless free to Brogan at the end. Aidan O'Mahony was very solid on Rock/McMenamin and was the only Kerry player to really dominate his direct opponent(s). Darran O'Sullivan was alright when he came on.

It's hard to defend McMahon. He looks to me like he has a bad streak in him and you can judge each incident how you like but in the last 3 games, he's been accused of headbutting, diving and eye-gouging. Some might add sledging in too. He's had a great year and performed the role of auxiliary forward exceptionally well while also getting the better of the likes of Aidan O'Shea and Colm Cooper in one-to-one duels.

Cork man here so couldnt shout for any team today but Well done to Dublin better team won on the day and best team there at the moment..semi replay stood to them big time. just on your last comment there on mcmahon, to be honest it's not hard to defend mcmahon it's down right impossible. Blatant attempt to eye gouge another player and other incidents show him to be thug to be honest. Plenty stuff goes on off the ball and on it with regards belts and shoulders thrown in every match but that kind of stuff has no place in the game. Something like that caught on camera if not dealt with by ref should be dealt with by gaa with suspensions handed out. Only way to cut it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Thrilled for Fenton.

22 years old, first year playing Senior for the Dubs, MOTM award in a winning All Ireland.

Easy this game, isn't it.

363173.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I just opened a 18 year bottle of scotch that I bought on the way home from my stag. It wasn't cheap. But it tastes sensational.

Thank you Dublin. What a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Well done Dublin. Awesome team and 3 all Ireland's in 5 years is a remarkable achievement. Who was thought after 2009 quarter against Kerry that Dublin would bounce back and beat Kerry three times in a row. Dublin are now the new bogey team for Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Godge wrote:
    I also think that Fitzmaurice made a big mistake keeping Galvin, Donaghy, Walsh, O'Se, O'Mahony in the squad. They are no longer good enough and the message that is sent is that the players coming up behind are not good enough either.

To be honest I think he was going for a bit of voodoo, trying to create a savage bench, many bought it but he must have known some of the lads were not up to it.
    When Galvin came on for Moran I was delighted. TBH I always liked Galvin a super player in his day, sad to see him coming on today and being so ineffective, I was wondering was he simply brought in to justify his place on the bench, no sign of Walsh either another guy who was "flying in training"

My thoughts were that Kerry were exaggeration their position. The media bought it, I think it was a reasonable ploy but it didn't work.

The dogs in the street knew Gooch was struggling this year.

Some big hurt egos there now. I think some will go for good, but some will come back stronger.

I thought it was a well contested game. Our options up front stretched them at the back.
    We were lucky that so few Kerry lads had good games, not taking from our display.
    Fenton lived up to it, I had big hopes he would, Bastic was very good too and continues to perform well against top opposition while retaining a general reputation as being an average player. Long may it contine he set up a goal in 2013 and nearly two today.

Good second half by Flynn. Two points , won a few of kerrys kickouts.

Three good games in a row for Andrews.

I hope Alan Brogan hangs in there

Cooper seemed to injure his leg again just before he was subbed. It's troubled him.

It's hard to defend McMahon. He looks to me like he has a bad streak in him and you can judge each incident how you like but in the last 3 games, he's been accused of headbutting, diving and eye-gouging. Some might add sledging in too. He's had a great year and performed the role of auxiliary forward exceptionally well while also getting the better of the likes of Aidan O'Shea and Colm Cooper in one-to-one duels.

Well footage clears him of headbutting , fair point in the other accusations

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Great win, nearly everyone won their individual battles, but still we relied on Kerry missing a host of chances to stay ahead. They really let us off the hook for average finishing of point and especially goal chances.

Connolly and Flynn pretty much came good, especially in picking up dirty ball and distribution. The half back to half forward lines controlled large parts of the game. With the midfield coming out on top having been written off across all the media.

Cluxton had a poor enough game by his standards, but again he was written off by the press and even with a poor game Dublin kick outs were much better than Kerry's.

Fenton has been the find of the year, Kilkenny has grown in to a vital player in first year back. MDMA started to come good in last two games.

Be good if Cluxton, Bastick and Brogan keep going, especially as the game is more and more a squad game. Mannion back next year, after great 7s performance this weekend. Costello starting to come good, O'Gara to come back and maybe his brother also after injury. Rock to grow into a more all around player as he has done over last 3 years.

Need to find a bit more depth in midfield still, but generally it's hopeful for next year.

corny wrote:
    Yeah watching the highlights he was definitely marking him. O'Sullivan lost him pretty easily more than once.

Yeah it was Cian O'Sullivan who was looking after him but needed to get back to being a sweeper no? Then they switched, McCarthy was never marking Darren, or am I wrong.

copacetic wrote:
    Connolly and Flynn pretty much came good, especially in picking up dirty ball and distribution. The half back to half forward lines controlled large parts of the game. With the midfield coming out on top having been written off across all the media.

Flynn had a good second half.

I see more articles about the brogans matching their fathers three titles.

I thought Alan missed 2013, on the panel but no medal

Also I'm fairly sure senior only has two, so junior is the only one with three ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »
    I see more articles about the brogans matching their fathers three titles.

I thought Alan missed 2013, on the panel but no medal

Also I'm fairly sure senior only has two, so junior is the only one with three ??

Bernard Sr has 3.

Bernard Jr has 3.

Alan also has 3. He didn't feature in any of the actual games in 2013, but he was a part of the panel, so he got a medal.

ProudDUB wrote:
    Bernard Sr has 3.
    76, 77

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Bernard Sr has 3.

Bernard Jr has 3.

Alan also has 3. He didn't feature in any of the actual games in 2013, but he was a part of the panel, so he got a medal.

Sr just has the 2 and he won them in 76 and 77.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Do any of you guys know how I'd get a program of yesterday's match ? I forgot too pick one up as,I had to rush to the hill to see the game on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Anyone else see the brawl on the Nally at the end? That group of Kerry fans had been asking for trouble from the start but they were only young lads and the older Dublin fans shouldn't have reacted. A bit disappointing all round.

Anyone else see the brawl on the Nally at the end? That group of Kerry fans had been asking for trouble from the start but they were only young lads and the older Dublin fans shouldn't have reacted. A bit disappointing all round.

Didn't see it, but heard the Kerry lads song, I knew it would end bad. They started singing and acting up during the second half of the minor game. The officials should have thrown them out then when it was no where near full would have sorted it out,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What's the Kerry lads song Stoner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Didn't see it, but heard the Kerry lads song, I knew it would end bad. They started singing and acting up during the second half of the minor game. The officials should have thrown them out then when it was no where near full would have sorted it out,

Heard these lads singing & chanting at the back of the Nally during half time of the minor,you'd think they were at the darts or a soccer match, shows their mentality!

• Advertisement

I think it's a nailed on certainty that Jack Mc will be FOTY. A monumental achievement in the current game that a lad so young can rise to the top of his sport at 21 years of age - the fact that he took to the pitch at all yesterday is testament to the chap.

Just heard Gooch has arrived at Croker.

realies wrote:
    What's the Kerry lads song Stoner ?

It wasn't great . Lol but we were over in 705 and we could hear it clearly. Not very imaginative. Similar to "up the dubs" with a sub for "up"

Just watched the full replay, we really were rather comfortable for the 70 mins. I felt that during the match too, was never worried at all. Im normally the opposite at games !!

I have to say from 2 to 6 we have the best defenders in the country.

Philly McMahon was my player of the year, he had every forward he's come up against in his back pocket. Unreal defender and a worthy All Star this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Congrats and well done to ye, best team in the country.

Hopefully we can meet in next year's final (you never know) and with a bit of fine tuning and luck Mayo can claim the ultimate prize. Won't be easy though of course!

Enjoy the celebrations.

• Advertisement

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Sr just has the 2 and he won them in 76 and 77.

Bernard Sr has 3. He was on the panel in 74. He didn't play in many games as he was injured for most of the year, but he got a medal as he was on the panel, just like Alan did in 2013. Heard him talking about it on the radio recently.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Just watched the full replay, we really were rather comfortable for the 70 mins. I felt that during the match too, was never worried at all. Im normally the opposite at games !!

I have to say from 2 to 6 we have the best defenders in the country.

Philly McMahon was my player of the year, he had every forward he's come up against in his back pocket. Unreal defender and a worthy All Star this year.

That was a weird feeling wasn't it? Going thru an entire All Ireland final and never trailing. Even at half time, the mood on the Hill was rather relaxed. In previous years, we'd be absolutely $hitting ourselves with worry. I could get used to more finals like that, I really could. Even when kerry went on a run a couple of times and cut the lead down to 2, I still wasn't worried. We were creating so many goal chances, I was convinced that one of them was going to go in sooner or later. Obviously, I was wrong, but I didn't know that at the time. :D

.... Going thru an entire All Ireland final and never trailing. Even at half time, the mood on the Hill was rather relaxed. In previous years, we'd be absolutely $hitting ourselves with worry. I could get used to more finals like that, I really could. Even when kerry went on a run a couple of times and cut the lead down to 2, I still wasn't worried. We were creating so many goal chances, I was convinced that one of them was going to go in sooner or later. Obviously, I was wrong, but I didn't know that at the time. :D

Didn't we trail 3-2 at one stage ? ... your general point stands tho ... It was a surreal experience dominating in almost every aspect of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

After finally getting to watch a recording of the match and last nights Sunday Game it's amazing how when you're at the match you see so much that's not shown on TV yet also miss certain things that are not apparent from the stands.

Never seen Phillys hand on Donaghys face that was highlighted on the Sunday game. No one in the ground seen it. I think he could be in bother. I don't know whether it was meant as an eye gouge but he doesn't really have an excuse for having his hand where it was. It wasn't needed and he's put the eye on himself for no reason.

What was apparent to anyone in the ground that wasn't highlighted on the Sunday Game was the antics Donaghy got up to when he came on. There was zero malice in the game yesterday. Donaghy was only on the pitch 30 seconds and he elbowed O Carroll off the ball right in front of the umpire. A few mins later he punched O carroll straight in the face. A direct strike. The umpires (under pressure from the crowd) spoke to the ref who issued both players with a yellow card!!!!

I've no idea what he was trying to achieve. A player who can cause chaos when he wants, whose team are behind and is brought on to salvage the game is more interested in acting the maggot. His trip on Cluxton going up to take the free bordered on ridiculous.

The game itself. Dublin outstanding in Defence. The timing of tackles and the positons the dDublin defenders took up were exceptional.

The much vaunted Kerry midfield won very little clean ball from their own kickout. The Dublin midfield were easily their equal. Fenton was outstanding especially considering his inexperience at this level.

The movement of the Dublin forwards made them unmarkable. However they underachieved slightly in converting scores compared to the amount of ball they won.

Kerry were disappointing. Seriously off the pace. Dublin can thank Mayo for helping them win an All Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah felt the same way. Of course i've been bullish about our chances with Kerry all season.

Come to think of it. Gave Connolly a lot of stick after the first game in Leinster where he was taken off at half time but by jaysus did he work hard yesterday, especially in the second half. Real intense efforts too.

Think it was their worst performance in a final in terms of execution but probably the most satisfying for the players given what they put into it.

Yeah, I think you could be right. But it was so early on, it didn't matter. At least that's what I'm telling myself. :D

Berno on the one o'clock news now at Crumlin Childrens Hospital. (God, he has a great head of hair on him, doesn't he?) The bould Marty asked him was he nervous about keeping Kerry at bay all day. Said he only got nervous at the end, when Donaghy was on and they were lobbing loads of high balls into him. It made for nerve wracking watching from the Hill end, that's for sure.

corny wrote: »
    Yeah felt the same way. Of course i've been bullish about our chances with Kerry all season.

Come to think of it. Gave Connolly a lot of stick after the first game in Leinster where he was taken off at half time but by jaysus did he work hard yesterday, especially in the second half. Real intense efforts too.

Think it was their worst performance in a final in terms of execution but probably the most satisfying for the players given what they put into it.

Agreed .. from our perspective there was a twofold aspect 1. putting to rest the failure last year to Donegal and 2. Reinforcing the fact that they are the best team in Ireland - the manner in which it was accomplished is immaterial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

Milked out wrote: »
    Cork man here so couldnt shout for any team today but Well done to Dublin better team won on the day and best team there at the moment..semi replay stood to them big time. just on your last comment there on mcmahon, to be honest it's not hard to defend mcmahon it's down right impossible. Blatant attempt to eye gouge another player and other incidents show him to be thug to be honest. Plenty stuff goes on off the ball and on it with regards belts and shoulders thrown in every match but that kind of stuff has no place in the game. Something like that caught on camera if not dealt with by ref should be dealt with by gaa with suspensions handed out. Only way to cut it out.

Don't worry, the third appeal will sort it for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bernard Sr has 3. He was on the panel in 74. He didn't play in many games as he was injured for most of the year, but he got a medal as he was on the panel, just like Alan did in 2013. Heard him talking about it on the radio recently.

That was a weird feeling wasn't it? Going thru an entire All Ireland final and never trailing. Even at half time, the mood on the Hill was rather relaxed. In previous years, we'd be absolutely $hitting ourselves with worry. I could get used to more finals like that, I really could. Even when kerry went on a run a couple of times and cut the lead down to 2, I still wasn't worried. We were creating so many goal chances, I was convinced that one of them was going to go in sooner or later. Obviously, I was wrong, but I didn't know that at the time. :D

That's what makes some of the commentary of "only losing by 3 points" more irritating. We were so comfortable.

DoctaDee wrote:
    Didn't we trail 3-2 at one stage ? ... your general point stands tho ... It was a surreal experience dominating in almost every aspect of the game

That's funny coming out of the game we'd forgotten that we were down at one stage too. Wasn't till the rewatch that we figured it out.

Greatest Dublin Co Board tweet of all time. :D

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/media

• Advertisement

I'm rewatching it now.

I'll see if I can figure out what happened the Gooch.

Just watched The Sunday Game - I still couldnt find him.

3 points really flattered Kerry didnt it? Jeez on another (dry) day it could have been 10 points.
    But the scoreline doesnt matter (apart from my bet :D), outclassing any team like that for 70 minutes in an AI final was just a joy to behold. So comfortable, but a few goals would have been nice.

Just watched The Sunday Game - I still couldnt find him.

3 points really flattered Kerry didnt it? Jeez on another (dry) day it could have been 10 points.
    But the scoreline doesnt matter (apart from my bet :D), outclassing any team like that for 70 minutes in an AI final was just a joy to behold. So comfortable, but a few goals would have been nice.

According to the Kerry thread it could have been there for them but for [insert excuse].

Is there anything better than butthurt Kerrymen?

We were so much better than them it was frightening. Much more satisfying than 2011.

Really?? lolz :D

Any Kerry guy/gal i met afterwards were quite honest and said we thoroughly deserved it. Wouldnt have thought anyone could even doubt that

Even Eamonn Fitz said it after the game with his "daylight robbery" remark. We were miles the better team. Broke their poor wee hearts with our power and pace.

Really?? lolz :D

Any Kerry guy/gal i met afterwards were quite honest and said we thoroughly deserved it. Wouldnt have thought anyone could even doubt that

Even Eamonn Fitz said it after the game with his "daylight robbery" remark. We were miles the better team. Broke their poor wee hearts with our power and pace.

That's what makes the whinging on here all the more enjoyable.

Everyone yesterday was so magnanimous including Fitz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It makes it even more enjoyable to have won Sam when you see some of the embarrassing and petty posts that some some people post, ha ha and they have to live with Dublin being champions for another 12 months, minimum. God help there little minds if The Dubs did the double.

My God Darragh Ó Sé is a shocking analyst altogether.

Half time chat was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

4 from 4 trophies, 3 out of the last 5 All Irelands and three league titles in a row.....not a bad haul for a team that spent some 16 years in the wilderness.

Up the Dubs!

I'll see if I can figure out what happened the Gooch.

Lol will you leave Gooch alone.

• Advertisement

Lol will you leave Gooch alone.

Nah.

I await to be told about lacing boots and All Irelands in his back pocket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement