Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    Lol will you leave Gooch alone.

There's no diminishing return to the Gooch jokes.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Worse day in my life in work! Its over time for a curer!

Sam is home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

realies wrote: »
    It makes it even more enjoyable to have won Sam when you see some of the embarrassing and petty posts that some some people post, ha ha and they have to live with Dublin being champions for another 12 months, minimum. God help there little minds if The Dubs did the double.

I'd imagine most other county's fans feel the same way that fans of most clubs in Scotland bar Celtic feel. Its a case of "ah well, what can you do".

Given the resources, money, population, facilities, number of clubs, players, young players, senior players, economies of scale, concentration of players etc etc, the only surprise is that Dublin doesn't win the AI every year.

In light of this you have to hand it to Kerry in particular for being way ahead of Dublin in AI wins.

For all the self congratulation, Dublin still have a long way to go to match Kerry's tradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

I'd imagine most other county's fans feel the same way that fans of most clubs in Scotland bar Celtic feel. Its a case of "ah well, what can you do".

Given the resources, money, population, facilities, number of clubs, players, young players, senior players, economies of scale, concentration of players etc etc, the only surprise is that Dublin doesn't win the AI every year.

In light of this you have to hand it to Kerry in particular for being way ahead of Dublin in AI wins.

For all the self congratulation, Dublin still have a long way to go to match Kerry's tradition.

Well this doesn't sound like sour grapes at all....

EICVD wrote: »

Ha, the "sour grapes" response. Kind of expected. Sometimes wish certain posters would remove their county jersey and think of the overall health of the sport. Impossible to expect I suppose.

There's no sour grapes about the Dublin win. They were the best team all year. Generally that happens when you have by far the most resources to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Ha, the "sour grapes" response. Kind of expected. Sometimes wish certain posters would remove their county jersey and think of the overall health of the sport. Impossible to expect I suppose.

There's no sour grapes about the Dublin win. They were the best team all year. Generally that happens when you have by far the most resources to work with.

But what do you want to do about the "overall health of the sport".

Handicap the best teams to bring them backwards instead of progressing the weaker ones forward?

Mayo don't seem to worried about the "health of the sport" in Connaught after winning 5 in a row.

All the "advantages" you've named apply equally to Dublin hurling yet they can't come next to near winning an All Ireland. A team still needs the unquantifiable X to win an All Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

EICVD wrote: »

I tend not to go down the sour grapes route myself.

I like the 'chip on thy shoulder' angle myself. But that's just me :)

Sure you'd feed all those poor Syrian refugees with the amount of chips some lads have about Dublin. And our resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

As a Meath woman with mayo blood I hoped Mayo would win this year but it wasn't meant to be....again! I shouted for Dublin yesterday, delighted they beat Kerry well done!

Slattsy wrote: »
    I tend not to go down the sour grapes route myself.

I like the 'chip on thy shoulder' angle myself. But that's just me :)

Sure you'd feed all those poor Syrian refugees with the amount of chips some lads have about Dublin. And our resources.

........and our good looks

Paulzx wrote: »

Now I know you're having a laugh ;)

• Advertisement

Now I know you're having a laugh ;)

What?????
    I'm deadly serious:eek:

Paulzx wrote: »

Its our cross to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Perhaps it's the timing...you know 24 hours since Dublin won Sam, but it does come across as sour grapes.

That said, no harm debating it as long as we focus on improving the game rather than just dragging the more successful counties back.

No easy answer I'm afraid, but you'd swear Dublin were winning it every frickin year for the last few decades...3 in 5 is not exactly a problem IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well that's all well and good but when Dublin are not winning Leinster or Sam cups, like just before 2011 you don't see these posts about ,Dublins home advantage ,not nice supporters, to much money,dirty football team etc etc
    They all come when we win which looks like for the most part big chips on some posters shoulders,
    As for catching Kerry were getting there more so than any other county, ah but that's because Dublin have home adv, lots of money......Etc etc
    Anyway enough of all this ,Dublin won yesterday I am delighted and feck all the begrudegers .

Perhaps it's the timing...you know 24 hours since Dublin won Sam, but it does come across as sour grapes.

That said, no harm debating it as long as we focus on improving the game rather than just dragging the more successful counties back.

No easy answer I'm afraid, but you'd swear Dublin were winning it every frickin year for the last few decades...3 in 5 is not exactly a problem IMO.

True enough. They were definitely caught on the hop by Donegal last year. I doubt they will make that mistake next year. This year they have combined defensive solidity and a sweeper with the usual forward play. If anything they are improving and getting stronger and can bring in new players like Fenton at will. Lets be honest, they are the best team in the country and the only way to beat them is by catching them unawares like Donegal did last year or get lucky as Mayo almost did this year. There's no question Dublin are a force to stay long into the future. Its scary really the amount of young talent they have, McCaffrey, footballer of the year at 21, Kilkenny, Rock, Fenton, and a couple of others. I'd imagine there's 6 or 7 youngsters on the panel just as good. And the difference is they are all built like seniors, as opposed to fresh faced skinny minors.

realies wrote: »
    Well that's all well and good but when Dublin are not winning Leinster or Sam cups, like just before 2011 you don't see these posts about ,Dublins home advantage ,not nice supporters, to much money,dirty football team etc etc
    They all come when we win which looks like for the most part big chips on some posters shoulders,
    As for catching Kerry were getting there more so than any other county, ah but that's because Dublin have home adv, lots of money......Etc etc
    Anyway enough of all this ,Dublin won yesterday I am delighted and feck all the begrudegers .

Its all accumulative. Dublin with home advantage, population and resources alone weren't enough. If you slightly increase the resources and money, get more young players and trainers involved, and so on, then it gives an advantage to the county.

I don't think the most dyed in the wool Dublin supporter can argue against Dublin having a number of advantages over the majority of other counties. That's not to take from the All-Ireland, its just stating facts. Dublin is hardly short of population, money or other things. The way some Dublin supporters make it sound, you'd swear Dublin was a minnow lucky to be playing with the "big boys".

Its all accumulative. Dublin with home advantage, population and resources alone weren't enough. If you slightly increase the resources and money, get more young players and trainers involved, and so on, then it gives an advantage to the county.

I don't think the most dyed in the wool Dublin supporter can argue against Dublin having a number of advantages over the majority of other counties. That's not to take from the All-Ireland, its just stating facts. Dublin is hardly short of population, money or other things. The way some Dublin supporters make it sound, you'd swear Dublin was a minnow lucky to be playing with the "big boys".

What irks Dublin fans is the double standard.

Kilkenny utterly dominate in hurling and nobody whines about why it's unfair or that we should spilt the county in half. Kerry have won far more All Ireland titles than Dublin and yet nobody complains that Dublin have to split their resources between football and hurling whereas Kerry hurling is the poor cousin of their football brethren and they focus their coaching and resources on one game.

Dublin are just doing things right. They have good administrators, excellent structures and they maximize their revenue streams (in the same way Kerry do magnificently by the way). When other counties stop having ridiculous internal politics ruining them (Cork) they will likely come on as well.

Kilkenny utterly dominate in hurling and nobody whines about why it's unfair or that we should spilt the county in half. Kerry have won far more All Ireland titles than Dublin and yet nobody complains that Dublin have to split their resources between football and hurling whereas Kerry hurling is the poor cousin of their football brethren and they focus their coaching and resources on one game.

Dublin are just doing things right. They have good administrators, excellent structures and they maximize their revenue streams (in the same way Kerry do magnificently by the way). When other counties stop having ridiculous internal politics ruining them (Cork) they will likely come on as well.

I don't dispute any of what you say. They also have endless finances, a huge population, a massive stadium they can fill with their own fans and drown out any others. You could fit the entire population of some Leinster counties inside Croke Park and probably still have room to spare.

They have an advantage, there is no other way of saying it to be honest. You can't say Carlow and Dublin are playing on an even field for example. Lets all just be honest about it for a start and stop pretending otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I don't dispute any of what you say. They also have endless finances, a huge population, a massive stadium they can fill with their own fans and drown out any others. You could fit the entire population of some Leinster counties inside Croke Park and probably still have room to spare.

They have an advantage, there is no other way of saying it to be honest. You can't say Carlow and Dublin are playing on an even field for example. Lets all just be honest about it for a start and stop pretending otherwise.

Not this absolute rubbish again. How many times do we have say it? Go and read a few of the other threads, where this kind of stuff is brought up and where you will find the facts on this. Dublin do not have any advantage. This only comes up when Dublin win. There was none of this posted after Donegal beat us last year. There was also nothing about the advantages that Kerry have after winning their 37th All-Ireland title last year. There shouldn't be either, because they don't have any advantage. Neither do Dublin. It's almost as if we have to apologise for our success, and not get credit for it, though any other winning county gets credit. Kilkenny retained their title 2 weeks ago. They've won 8 out of the last 10 Hurling championships. We've won 3 out of the last 10 Football Championships, while Kerry have won 4. Yet, despite other counties having more success than us, only we are said to have an advantage. It would be brilliant if we did have some advantages, but unfortunately and despite what the other 31 counties like to say, we don't. If we do, we haven't been very good at using them. It is lovely for non-Dubs to say we have an advantage, but there is no evidence to back it up and a huge amount to prove how much of a nonsense that saying we have is.

You've nothing constructive to say at all. Your agenda here is either to make yourself feel better or to devalue Dublin's win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ive said before on various move dublin/split dublin etc threads that Im happy to concede Dublin have a population advantage and probably other advantages over other counties but really the threads that come along all generally miss the point that a weaker Dublin doesn't make it easier for small counties to win Sam but just easier for Kerry Donegal and maybe one or two others to win. We need to find a way to make other counties stronger and I would think coaching is the way not this continual announcements of building centers of excellence. The facilities already exist in most counties they are called clubs. Regards the money that Dublin receive, really for the argument to go further it needs a break down of what each county receives what its used for and how many codes/clubs/teams/players its used to support. Do Dublin still receive money for the development of hurling in the county as this was a big project that if I remember correctly was an attempt to get another strong team in the Hurling championship which has been reasonably successful and unlikely to have helped the footballers much but may make the money look distorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

salmocab wrote: »
    a weaker Dublin doesn't make it easier for small counties to win Sam but just easier for Kerry Donegal and maybe one or two others to win.

Does not compute.

Does not compute.

I would have thought it was clear I meant small in footballing terms not just population and in GAA terms Donegal are big. By that I mean well run and successful.

I would have thought it was clear I meant small in footballing terms not just population and in GAA terms Donegal are big. By that I mean well run and successful.

Donegal were neither until yer man from Glenties came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Since 2011.. When they got in a belter of a manager. You are aware they have been the laughing stick of Ulster for the most part though.

If you had told 20yo me Donegal would be a force in football I would have had you certified.

Since 2011.. When they got in a belter of a manager. You are aware they have been the laughing stick of Ulster for the most part though.

If you had told 20yo me Donegal would be a force in football I would have had you certified.

I understand that but the point I was making is that if Dublin were somehow weakened its counties like Kerry Mayo Tyrone and Donegal that would benefit not Louth Leitrim or Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's the biggest problem in the GAA is that most counties are not well run and the County boards don't give a crap. The one thing Dublin have is that they have their house in order with the county board supporting not only the inter county teams but the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Apart from Kerry, Cork and Mayo what counties benefit from a weaker Dublin?

It just makes the Leinster Province even weaker in All Ireland terms.

Many counties are poorly run. Your arguments are completely redundant. Kilkenny and Kerry have small populations in comparison to the success they have in football and hurling.

Cork has more clubs (259 to Dublin's 134) then any county and still manage to make a balls of their own resources.

There is no advantage in the sport if you have counties like Kerry and Kilkenny that prioritise one game in the entire county. Its a great leveller.

Kerry were in all but a handful of finals in the 00s yet nobody says anything.

This Dublin surge started in the late 90s, not when they were given more money or got more players. It was when they completely restructured their training programmes (football and hurling) and started to make better use of their resources.

For all the whining about Dublin playing at Croke Park, EVERY county in Ireland benefits from the proceeds. I am sure if it was put to a vote , most counties would vote in favour of the Dubs playing at HQ. I think it does the team/county a disservice because I used to love travelling around Leinster for the championship games.

Lastly, playing in Croke Park is a help for familiarity reasons, but it doesn't always play out like a home game. I was at the 1992 final and Donegal had 4-1 support. During the 00s when Dublin kept losing to Tyrone and Armagh , the pressure on the Dublin team was immense and I would argue that playing at home with such expectation was nearly more difficult to perform in, then having "home" advantage.

This post wasn't to try and reason with you or your kind of thinking because there is no objective rational to it. It was simply to highlight to anybody on the fence on this topic, that your points are unfounded gibberish.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Apart from Kerry, Cork and Mayo what counties benefit from a weaker Dublin?

It just makes the Leinster Province even weaker in All Ireland terms.

Many counties are poorly run. Your arguments are completely redundant. Kilkenny and Kerry have small populations in comparison to the success they have in football and hurling.

Cork has more clubs (259 to Dublin's 134) then any county and still manage to make a balls of their own resources.

There is no advantage in the sport if you have counties like Kerry and Kilkenny that prioritise one game in the entire county. Its a great leveller.

Kerry were in all but a handful of finals in the 00s yet nobody says anything.

This Dublin surge started in the late 90s, not when they were given more money or got more players. It was when they completely restructured their training programmes (football and hurling) and started to make better use of their resources.

For all the whining about Dublin playing at Croke Park, EVERY county in Ireland benefits from the proceeds. I am sure if it was put to a vote , most counties would vote in favour of the Dubs playing at HQ. I think it does the team/county a disservice because I used to love travelling around Leinster for the championship games.

Lastly, playing in Croke Park is a help for familiarity reasons, but it doesn't always play out like a home game. I was at the 1992 final and Donegal had 4-1 support. During the 00s when Dublin kept losing to Tyrone and Armagh , the pressure on the Dublin team was immense and I would argue that playing at home with such expectation was nearly more difficult to perform in, then having "home" advantage.

This post wasn't to try and reason with you or your kind of thinking because there is no objective rational to it. It was simply to highlight to anybody on the fence on this topic, that your points are unfounded gibberish.

Everything you said is bang on. Except the late 90s part, more the late 00s.

Also, Dublin play in Croker Park in the Leinster Championship because the other counties voted to have them there.

The biggest factor in calling bollox in this advantage chat is simply how awful Cork are overall in both codes. They should be ashamed to see how they've performed since 2005 given the player pool and resources at their disposal.

Meath have started to get their house in order again. Kildare's youth structures have gotten an overhaul. These will reap rewards. As will Tipp and Roscommon.

And soon they'll dine back at the top table with Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo and Donegal.

• Advertisement

Now can us Dubs bask I the success of our footballers.

Everything you said is bang on. Except the late 90s part, more the late 00s.

Also, Dublin play in Croker Park in the Leinster Championship because the other counties voted to have them there.

The biggest factor in calling bollox in this advantage chat is simply how awful Cork are overall in both codes. They should be ashamed to see how they've performed since 2005 given the player pool and resources at their disposal.

Meath have started to get their house in order again. Kildare's youth structures have gotten an overhaul. These will reap rewards. As will Tipp and Roscommon.

And soon they'll dine back at the top table with Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo and Donegal.

Counties vote for Dublin to play in Croker when not drawn against them. When they are drawn against them they mysteriously change their minds.

I'd ****ing love if Dublin got to grips with the likes of KK in the hurling while staying at the top in the football. The whining would be epic.

SNeaLHP.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

This is an excellent post.

When Dublin have won 11 in 15, then we can have the conversation about splitting the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dublin is fcuking Dublin, one city, one entity, one team, why would or should we EVER consider splitting it in two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In the 28 years between the last AI of the Heffo era (1983) and the first one of the current period of success (2011) we won the All Ireland, once. In 1995. That is one AI win in nearly 30 years. The whingers and begrugers should think about that for a minute. During that time, I bet they all thought that the state of the game was just fine. When we were on the outside looking in at everyone else winning Sam, for nearly 3 fcuking decades, there wasn't a bloody peep out of any of them about the overall health of the game. Things were just fine and dandy then. But now that we have been consistently successful for a few years, the world and his mother thinks that "something should be done". The hypocrisy of it all is laughable.

But I'm done talking about this shyte now. People are determined to spoil the party and I'm sick of it...so onto more important stuff.....how are the hangovers....how are the voices....anyone go into town last night? Thought O'Connell St was a brilliant choice of venue for the celebrations. It's utterly mental that it took winning the the damm thing 3 times, before it occured to someone that Merrion Sq was a piss poor location for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Congrats to all you Dubs. Great team to watch in full flow.
    I have a wee question for you lads. Close up camera shots show the Kerry team all had GPS units on their back.
    Nothing visible on the Dubs but I suspect they wore something to transmit data upstairs?
    Is there a small digital GPS unit that can be hidden?

• Advertisement

Nope. Dublin players don't wear the GPS trackers.

We can't afford them.

Maybe we could all take up a collection? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

wackokid wrote: »
    Congrats to all you Dubs. Great team to watch in full flow.
    I have a wee question for you lads. Close up camera shots show the Kerry team all had GPS units on their back.
    Nothing visible on the Dubs but I suspect they wore something to transmit data upstairs?
    Is there a small digital GPS unit that can be hidden?

God is this the way 'sport' is going:eek:

Are soccer players into this too.

James Horan was on Off The Ball over the weekend and he was asked about Mayo using them. He chose not to, as he thinks they are over rated. It's not even a matter of resources, as he said he was approached by a couple of GPS tech companies who would have given them to Mayo for free, in return for promo rights, but he turned them down. Perhaps Jim Gavin thinks they are over rated too?

I assume they're very heavy considering how slow the Kerry boys were.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I assume they're very heavy considering how slow the Kerry boys were.

6/10

:cool:

• Advertisement

Good luck to them finding one strong enough to measure how fast Jack Flash runs. It would probably just explode on his back long before half time.

Yeah not sold on how useful they are but I do wonder who covers the most ground for Dublin. Flynn? McCaffrey? McMahon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

To the tune of tie a yellow ribbon..

I'm coming home I've done my time

been in the kingdom such a long,long time

But I got Jim Gavins letter telling me I'd soon be free,

That Fenton, Philly and brogan, where coming to get me...

Dubs cried when they seen me, da da da da....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

...3 in 5 is not exactly a problem IMO.

or 4 in 20 years

I get their usage in training and even in the earlier rounds, but in a final?

I'd love to know the reason for it if anybody is au fait with these things.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Nope. Dublin players don't wear the GPS trackers.

We can't afford them.

Maybe we could all take up a collection? :D

Thanks for that ProudDUB. No doubt the Kerry stuff is sponsored too.
    Hard to understand why Jim Gavin thinks they are surplus to requirements and the great traditionalists feel they are helpful. No need to put one on McCaffrey or Phil McMahon as they would both bend the needle. Rock could do with a prod of something though? and when Mannion and Costello return methinks Dean will be moved sideways. What youz all think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mannion woukd be welcomed back, O'Gara in the rain yesterday would have been nice remember that game against laois in the rain a few years ago in the league. It lashed down he caught everything, won everyone over. On a dry day I've seen him kick the ball off his own face!!

Costello was fine all season , Rock held a place ahead of him in every game.
    Dean was a good sub. Nothing went his way in the championship this year. It's been his worst, I wouldn't be so hard on him. The frees he missed were difficult, cluxton is missing them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    .............But I'm done talking about this shyte now. People are determined to spoil the party and I'm sick of it...so onto more important stuff.....how are the hangovers....how are the voices....anyone go into town last night? Thought O'Connell St was a brilliant choice of venue for the celebrations. It's utterly mental that it took winning the the damm thing 3 times, before it occured to someone that Merrion Sq was a piss poor location for it.

You and I among others have been hanging here long enough to know that you can anticipate the reaction to Dublin either winning or losing. I'm past caring what others think tbh .. I've served my time thru the 90's - saw them losing 2 finals and 2 semis, then missed 95 not getting a ticket - 2011 was my 1st experience of being there to see them win - I'll never be an apologist for what we're currently achieving.

I've seen the growth of football in my old club BK on the back of the countys success, with the shambles that was underage football in BK 20 years previous still clear in my mind. The facilities and quality of football across all juvenile clubs is improving year on year. I've 3 lads including my own fella who are involved with the development squad - the other 2 young fellas were primarily Rugby and Soccer players - if it wasn't for the relevancy of Gaelic Football to sport in the capital I'd have lost those fellas long before they had the opportunity to demonstrate their ability.

The AI Football Championship stands alone as the only elite competition which gives the entitlement to all teams to compete - Hurling doesn't .. Rugby Union/League, Soccer, Basketball, Athletics, Horse Racing etc at the elite level all demand the basic question .. show me you're good enough to compete. The fact that we continue to eschew this basic principle and instead look to blame the successes of others as the barrier to their own development is misguided at the very least. There is a finite talent pool of elite athletes and that's just the way sport has always been.

... anyways to answer yer question there was a particular incident in the game Sunday which escapes me at the minute where I started to roar but ended about 7 octaves higher where only the dogs in the street could hear me - must've taken a gallon of porter over the vocal chords to get me back in jig ;)

Very well said Docta. Woof woof ! :D

If I was Dean Rock, I'd be very worried about my jersey for next year. O'Gara & Mannion will be back & the likes of McHugh and Costello will see their game time increased. So you'd have to wonder what he can contribute more than them, especially if his accuracy in the dead ball situations is not quite as set in stone as we all thought it was a couple of months ago. Time will tell I suppose.
    I get their usage in training and even in the earlier rounds, but in a final?

I'd love to know the reason for it if anybody is au fait with these things.

It works just like a sat nav in your car. The GPS tracker monitors the players movement and speed on the pitch. It sends up the data to the satellite, which beams it back down to whoever is monitoring the data on the sideline. It can tell where exactly on the pitch the player is making his runs, at what speed and how far he has traveled since it was activated at kick off.

So if you know (from monitoring a player in training) that he can run X amount of miles during a game, before he starts to tire significantly, once he gets close to that mileage in an actual game, you'll know it may be time to take him off.

I'd say its pretty worthless for the younger players who can run all day. But if you are trying to micro manage the time that an older/recently injured player spends on the pitch, I can see its uses.

Sure Colm O Rourke is the main instigator at dividing Dublin hoping that Meath might bate one half.
    I don't know anybody else who begrudges the Dubs their hours in the sun, or should I say years.
    Ok, if youz do the 5 in row I will love ye all the more. Wouldn't that sicken Spillane? LOL

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement