Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Why does nobody ever talk about splitting Kilkenny in two for hurling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Because they're not Dublin...

Slattsy wrote: »
    Because they're not Dublin...

Good point. Who cares though, CHAMPIONS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Oh if only we could split Kilkenny in 2 what an addition he would be to the Dublin hurling panel. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Beacuse the people talking about splitting are all jealous bitter Dublin haters. To me it just makes the success Dublin are enjoying and deserving all the more enjoyable.

Aaron Kernon:

"Dublin have some of the best footballers I have ever seen and they are one of the best teams I have ever seen. They probably don't get the credit they deserve because they are Dublin. People talk about their pick and their resources but what has to be remembered is that these players have distractions in the capital city unlike those faced by players from other counties. I'd say it's very, very easy to run away with yourself in Dublin."

Bit in bold says it all really. Comes from great stock and knows his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Good Ulsterman.

And that's generally to be expected generally from those in the know in Uladh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So my player of the year for Dublin was Bastic.
    Has his third title. Got stuck into the league.

Stood his ground in every game. Has been creative although it goes unnoticed.

Hard as nails when he came on in the first mayo game.
    In the final he showed again that our midfield can compete better than reported.

Hopefully he still has some unfinished business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stoner wrote: »
    So my player of the year for Dublin was Bastic.
    Has his third title. Got stuck into the league.

Stood his ground in every game. Has been creative although it goes unnoticed.

Hard as nails when he came on in the first mayo game.
    In the final he showed again that our midfield can compete better than reported.

Hopefully he still has some unfinished business.

Bastick does'nt get half the credit he deserves. Gavin found or developed a side to Basticks game that I had not seen before, setting up attacks, switching play, calmly slotting the odd goal away.

Considering he's in his mid 30s and is holding his own in a team mostly made of young lads with rocket boosters attached to them is some testimony to him.

• Advertisement

Personally I'd have Bernard Brogan right up there in the player of the year discussion. He sometimes gets a bit of stick for taking on shots when there's a better option but I don't think this is a selfish trait, I think he just has the confidence in himself to take on tricky shots. When it doesn't work it looks bad but for the vast majority of the year it did work. He was also central to the period of play against Mayo that was arguably the most important few minutes of our season. 4 points down and he scores one goal and sets up another.

Looking at the golden boot list the other day was quite funny. He finished 4 points behind Cillian O'Connor having scored 1 point from a free all season while COC scored 1-29 from placed balls. I'd love to know how many of them were tap overs from 20 meters that he took 5 minutes to take.

wackokid wrote: »
    Sure Colm O Rourke is the main instigator at dividing Dublin hoping that Meath might bate one half.
    I don't know anybody else who begrudges the Dubs their hours in the sun, or should I say years.
    Ok, if youz do the 5 in row I will love ye all the more. Wouldn't that sicken Spillane? LOL

I say we merge the meaths

Or allow west meath to drop the "west" given that they're in the ascendancy and then divvy old meath out among its neighbors :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

I'll probably get lambasted for this question but do any of you know how much Dublin spent on winning this All Ireland? Kerry spent a million when winning last years All Ireland. I'm not trying to start any arguments, I don't want to go round in circles, if you don't know the answer that's fine, if you do or have a fair idea then can you please tell me. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

noway12345 wrote: »
    I'll probably get lambasted for this question but do any of you know how much Dublin spent on winning this All Ireland? Kerry spent a million when winning last years All Ireland. I'm not trying to start any arguments, I don't want to go round in circles, if you don't know the answer that's fine, if you do or have a fair idea then can you please tell me. Thanks.
    You have asked this in the All Ireland Final thread and you made another thread about it. You were then directed to the other thread about Dublin's funding that was bumped. And now you're asking it here? You've been told repeatedly where you can find the answer.
    I'm finding it very difficult to believe that you're not trolling. And given that you have had several site bans, you should probably be aiming not to cause any more work for moderators.

Do not reply to this on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Surely this is trolling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

How does the league relegation work in Dublin for clubs - does it involve playoffs or do teams get straight relegated if they are at the bottom of the table?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

How does the league relegation work in Dublin for clubs - does it involve playoffs or do teams get straight relegated if they are at the bottom of the table?

Bottom club are automatically relegated and there's a relegation playoff to determine the 2nd team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Personally I'd have Bernard Brogan right up there in the player of the year discussion. He sometimes gets a bit of stick for taking on shots when there's a better option but I don't think this is a selfish trait, I think he just has the confidence in himself to take on tricky shots. When it doesn't work it looks bad but for the vast majority of the year it did work. He was also central to the period of play against Mayo that was arguably the most important few minutes of our season. 4 points down and he scores one goal and sets up another.

Looking at the golden boot list the other day was quite funny. He finished 4 points behind Cillian O'Connor having scored 1 point from a free all season while COC scored 1-29 from placed balls. I'd love to know how many of them were tap overs from 20 meters that he took 5 minutes to take.

Ssshhhh....around here, we're all all big, big fans of how long it takes Cillian O'Connor to take his frees. Big, big fans. :D

I'd split the award for top scorer. You can have an overall award, that includes scores from placed balls, but you also have one that is just for scores from play. Being an accurate free taker is a skill in itself and does deserve some recognition. But kicking a score from open play, when you have 2 lads dragging out of you, or you only have a split second to take your shot, or you have to catch the ball, turn and kick it all in the same motion before your marker cuts off your angle....well that's is night and day, compared to taking a free. And that's before you even talk about scoring goals. Whoever finishes top of that list, should be getting the Golden Boot imo.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ssshhhh....around here, we're all all big, big fans of how long it takes Cillian O'Connor to take his frees. Big, big fans. :D

I'd split the award for top scorer. You can have an overall award, that includes scores from placed balls, but you also have one that is just for scores from play. Being an accurate free taker is a skill in itself and does deserve some recognition. But kicking a score from open play, when you have 2 lads dragging out of you, or you only have a split second to take your shot, or you have to catch the ball, turn and kick it all in the same motion before your marker cuts off your angle....well that's is night and day, compared to taking a free. And that's before you even talk about scoring goals. Whoever finishes top of that list, should be getting the Golden Boot imo.

Good point. I think Hilarious Moment of the Year has to go to Andy Moran when he grabbed the ball off COC to take the free against us because he was too slow. :)

In the replay he had a free right in front of the goal late on and Andy Moran ran over and took it off him. At the time i thought it was funny, thought his own team mates had had enough of him. Turns out he got a blow to the head and Moran was helping him out.:(

I get taking time over some frees that might be tough. But that one under the posts that Moran took from him took the piss.

And let's not forget 2013. :)

• Advertisement

Good point. I think Hilarious Moment of the Year has to go to Andy Moran when he grabbed the ball off COC to take the free against us because he was too slow. :)

I'm really slow at typing.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dublin Footballers have no manners

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/the-plain-truth-and-other-casualties-of-war-31556716.html
    When the gloves come off

It is surely time that the GAA instructed its footballers in the exercise of basic good manners.
    On Sunday last, a number of players on the Dublin and Kerry football teams omitted or refused to remove their football gloves when shaking hands with President Michael D Higgins. This was an indignity which, surely, would not have occurred elsewhere in these islands or in any civilised country.
    GAA players are rightly admired in Ireland, but - as the saying goes - it is possible to take the man out of the bog, but difficult to take the bog out of the man!

K Haddick Flynn
    North Finchley, London, UK

Irish Independent
    25/09/2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Bogs in Dublin ? well I never..... (his letter is not about the Dubs, Dingus - its headed "When the gloves come off")

At least they weren't orange gloves, eh Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

It works just like a sat nav in your car. The GPS tracker monitors the players movement and speed on the pitch. It sends up the data to the satellite, which beams it back down to whoever is monitoring the data on the sideline. It can tell where exactly on the pitch the player is making his runs, at what speed and how far he has traveled since it was activated at kick off.

So if you know (from monitoring a player in training) that he can run X amount of miles during a game, before he starts to tire significantly, once he gets close to that mileage in an actual game, you'll know it may be time to take him off.

I'd say its pretty worthless for the younger players who can run all day. But if you are trying to micro manage the time that an older/recently injured player spends on the pitch, I can see its uses.

I understand all that and how they work, why they are needed. I just didnt think they'd see the need sticking one on a lad in the final game of the year where it's shít or bust.

No big deal really, just curious!

They send down real time data Nidge. I'd say that they want the data even more during the really big games, than they would during in a training game in March.

They send down real time data Nidge. I'd say that they want the data even more during the really big games, than they would during in a training game in March.

Yeah I suppose so. Still have the 'it's the final just empty it' idea in my head really. The whole thing has gotten very advanced now.

There's a great story about Donegal circa 2003 when McEniff was back in charge. He wanted all the players weighed. One particular prankster who shan't be named took apart the weighing scales beforehand and did something to the needle so it consistently read 15/16 stone.

First man up, 16 stone.

McEniff turns and looks at him with complete disgust and utters "you're a fúcking disgrace" :D

This went on for a few lads until they were rumbled. GPS devices were a million miles away in those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I'm thinking about going to the women's final on Sunday and I'm not too sure if I could pay at the gate or would I have to get a ticket ?

Bret Hart wrote: »
    I'm thinking about going to the women's final on Sunday and I'm not too sure if I could pay at the gate or would I have to get a ticket ?

Pick up a ticket in Dorset St before ya head in. Not sure if the booth inside will sell tickets on the day though.

Yeah I suppose so. Still have the 'it's the final just empty it' idea in my head really. The whole thing has gotten very advanced now.

There's a great story about Donegal circa 2003 when McEniff was back in charge. He wanted all the players weighed. One particular prankster who shan't be named took apart the weighing scales beforehand and did something to the needle so it consistently read 15/16 stone.

I get where you are coming from, I really do. GPS systems don't exactly harken back to the days when men were men and sheep were nervous. :p

But these days, managing the subs on your bench is just as important (maybe even more so) than your starting 15. Modern technology can tell you that player X can run 9.5 km & give 100%, but once he hits 9.6km, his productivity levels drop, or his lactic acid levels start to build up, or what ever.

If you had a machine that tells you when he hits 9km, then you know that you need to start warming up a sub to replace him. Sadly, the days of simply sending out your best 15 and telling them to give it welly, job done, are over.

• Advertisement

Ladies final isnt bad, we're all over Cork but not taking our points - draw game at the moment.

5 points apiece at half time.

Should be 3/4 up - lot of terrible wides from score-able chances.

Cork go 3 up early, Dublin kick a few bad shots at goal in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Disgraceful decision by the referee to award a free to Cork.

It was a perfect tackle by the Dublin defender.

A Dublin team not getting the decisions? Well i never ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin poor in the second half. Cork showing a greater skill set and composure under pressure not to mention better decision making. Cork running away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I rarely watch the Ladies GAA, from today I'm wondering if there are actually different rules when it comes to fouls?

Any contact and the ref is blowing up.

Strumms wrote: »
    Dublin poor in the second half. Cork showing a greater skill set and composure under pressure not to mention better decision making. Cork running away with it.

1 point game

That was about as fair a shoulder as you can get.

• Advertisement

1 point game

Dublin did well to get back into this. Ref is shocking. I agree.

Decision making costing the girls this game, they're much the better team. Similar to last year :(

Lots of huff and puff but not enough quality or composure. Cork are much the better side imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Countdown clock and the ref takes 30 seconds to book a player.

Again a Dubs player free off that free kick and the player taking it not even looking and just lobs it in... Ahh well over anyway.. Congrats Cork.

2 finals they've thrown away now. Ref didnt help today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If that's the best ref that ladies football have to offer then that's a bad reflection on the standard of refs. He was woeful for both teams today.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If that's the best ref that ladies football have to offer then that's a bad reflection on the standard of refs. He was woeful for both teams today.

The decision to award Cork that free for their 12th point was beyond shocking. That was a fair shoulder. Nothing wrong with it.

2 finals they've thrown away now. Ref didnt help today.

Ref was'nt the one putting easy scores wide in the first half though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Nokotan wrote: »
    Countdown clock and the ref takes 30 seconds to book a player.

The countdown clock system is a joke and I've thought that for years. No flexibility in it at all and it directly rewards cynical fouling **** like that Cork engaged in towards the end.

The Cork player was hoping to get booked as she knew it would waste 30 seconds, and the referee obliged, basically winning the game for them.

The patronising coverage and praise this system has got over the years really annoys me because the weakness in it has been glaringly obvious for a long time and it's never remarked upon in the media. Give me the system used in men's GAA any day over it.

Bambi wrote: »
    Ref was'nt the one putting easy scores wide in the first half though.

Oh i alluded to that already. Very wasteful.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement