Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If that's the case, then that's a ridiculous set up imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they did the double back in 2009.

Vincents were surprisingly bad today. No bite, no intensity. The scoreline doesn't do Boden justice. It would have been a much bigger win, but for some handy Vins frees keeping the scoreline respectable. The 2-3 hard fought games that Boden had in the run up to the final, really stood them in good stead. They came out of the traps really up for it. Getting an early scare against Plunketts did them a favour & they learned a valuable lesson from it. Dermo was very quiet all day. He'll be very disappointed, but it's good that he can get a nice, long rest now. He's been on the go for a long time now, without a break. It will be good to see some of the other Vincents lads get a look in during next years league & O'Byrne Cup. T'wud be deadly to see Brian Mullins young fellah in the Dubs jersey.

Boden looked far hungrier for it. Vincents never got off the blocks. It looked like they weren't at the races at all. The kick out plan was a disaster and they were pinned high in their own half a lot of the time.

Gavin Burke looked a good prospect but he couldnt get into second gear and in the end was taken off.

Boden looked comfortable at all times and their #11 hit some sweet scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Vincents didn't look the part yesterday and it is evident that they need a break to regroup for next year. They have a good few young players on the bench who may get a look in next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Well done Cuala in the Hurling, they could go far in the National Club Championship with the squad they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EnergyBlaster

Well done Cuala in the Hurling, they could go far in the National Club Championship with the squad they have.

It will be interesting alright. We've been getting more competitive each year for the last couple of years so I hope they do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Surprised nobody has mentioned (or maybe it has been mentioned) the disgracefully lenient sentence handed down to the man who stabbed Johnny Cooper? 62 previous convictions. An absoutre menace to society. 7.5 years with two suspended.

Yeah - you have to wonder, at what point & after how many criminal convictions, do you just lock someone up and throw away the key? Johnny Cooper is one of the lucky ones. He seems to have bounced back pretty well from his ordeal, both mentally and physically. But with 62 convictions to his name, I am sure there are plenty of other victims out there, who are still suffering to this day.

Anyway, the All Stars are on tonight. Some funny banter on the Twitter machine with the lads picking out their tuxedos.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that a Dub will win Footballer of the Year. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that a Dub will win Footballer of the Year. :D

I'll go one better - a northside Dub will win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Be very disappointed if Dublin dont cover all the 2-7 bracket, cant see many (Keegan aside) that came close to matching our defence.
    McCarthy would be unlucky to lose out. The other 5 positions should be nailed on.

• Advertisement

6 Dubs, 4 Kerry, 2 Mayo, 2 Tyrone & Conor McManus .. Philly POTY

DoctaDee wrote: »
    6 Dubs, 4 Kerry, 2 Mayo, 2 Tyrone & Conor McManus .. Philly POTY

Is that a prediction, or do you have insider scoopage on the actual winners? C'mon...fess up...

Is that a prediction, or do you have insider scoopage on the actual winners? C'mon...fess up...

Ha yeah .. stay tuned for Euro lotto numbers at 6 :pac:

C'mon ya hoor ya (I've no idea what that means btw, but I often hear the boggers shouting it at Croker, :p ) will we all be seeing an "Error 404: Server Not Found" message on here at 8.01pm, or what? :D

Those country lads really dont know how to wear a suit do they. Thankfully, plenty of Dubs about though to add some class :)

We certainly do win the Schytle Awards too, that's for sure.

Early's britches with the red stripe are a bit dodge. Looks like he belongs in the Salvation Army, not the Irish Army. :rolleyes:

Good man Jack. G'wan the 'Torf !

• Advertisement

Well done Jack, think Philly deserved it personally, but he rubbed too many people up the wrong way :D

That was decent haul this evening, 1 more that I thought

Slattsy wrote: »
    Well done Jack, think Philly deserved it personally, but he rubbed too many people up the wrong way

Yeah, it was always a long shot for Philly to get it. Still, it's voted on by the players themselves & not journalists. (He wouldn't have even been nominated if it were up to the journos imo.) They have given it to players before (Paul Galvin, Tomas O'Se etc) who didn't exactly have squeaky clean reputations, so I was curious to see if history would repeat itself. Maye his so called transgressions were just too close to the actual voting period, for him to get it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Brogan looked sick that he didn't get it

Don't even bother trying to troll us. We can spot a wind up merchant a mile off. :rolleyes:

Pity it was such a short show. 50 minutes isn't enough. It would have been great to get a few more interviews with players and managers, when they are a lot more relaxed and less on guard, than they are in post match interviews.

• Advertisement

Thought they should have shown more of the football final to be honest, who cares about the hurling, its only for lads that are **** at football.

Don't even bother trying to troll us. We can spot a wind up merchant a mile off. :rolleyes:

Pity it was such a short show. 50 minutes isn't enough. It would have been great to get a few more interviews with players and managers, when they are a lot more relaxed and less on guard, than they are in post match interviews.

I think ur a bit paranoid, im a kerryman, fair play to Dublin 25th AI title, all I was saying was Brogan looked disappointed. In relation to the interviews I doubt you could get a player off guard in front of an audience of 1600 people

I think you're the paranoid one, seeing something that wasn't even there. When Jack won, they didn't show anyone else in the audience (other than Jim Gavin) or any of the other players. So how do you know BB in particular looked disappointed?

When the winners all walked out on the stage at the end of the show, they all had serious expressions on their faces. I didn't see a smile on any of them. It's natural I suppose, as being up on a stage like that, wouldn't be a natural environment for any of them. But you choose to have a dig at BB, because he like every one else, looked as if he'd rather be somewhere else?

Like I said - wind up merchant !

I think you're the paranoid one, seeing something that wasn't even there. When Jack won, they didn't show anyone else in the audience (other than Jim Gavin) or any of the other players, so how do you know BB in particular looked disappointed?

When the winners all walked out on the stage at the end of the show, they all had serious expressions on their faces. I didn't see a smile on any of them. It's natural I suppose, as being up on a stage like that, wouldn't be a natural environment for any of them. But you choose to have a dig at BB, because he like every one else, looked as if he'd rather be somewhere else?

Like I said - wind up merchant !

The Brogans are half Kerrymen, most people from Kerry I know count Bernard as their favourite dub player including myself.

Yes, whatever. We are all well aware of the Brogans heritage, because you lot never stop banging on about it. Now, why don't you toddle off & go cause trouble somewhere else. I'm sure the Mayo people would love to hear your thoughts on Aidan O'Shea's ill fitting tuxedo or something. :rolleyes:

Yes, whatever. We are all well aware of the Brogans heritage, because you lot never stop banging on about it. Now, why don't you toddle off & go cause trouble somewhere else. I'm sure the Mayo people would love to hear your thoughts on Aidan O'Shea's ill fitting tuxedo or something. :rolleyes:

Sorry didn't notice it was ill fitting, I was more looking at all the great looking wags, not sure what you were checking out.....anyway we will leave it there.

Cian O'Sullivan is doing alright for himself anyway. Jaysiz !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

DoctaDee wrote: »
    That was decent haul this evening, 1 more that I thought

But we didn't really get any marginal ones. The 7 named were probably odds on.

James McCarthy (not for the first time) and especially Paddy Andrews have reason to feel aggrieved imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

How Paddy Andrews didn't receive an all star for ye lads is baffling

Shocking alright when you see someone like AOS get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Paddy Andrews is very unlucky to lose out, he was exceptional from the semi finals on...when it really counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Slattsy wrote: »
    Shocking alright when you see someone like AOS get one.

Agree to an extent. And I know B.Brogan probably deserved an AS too but Andrews was head and shoulders the go too man when it mattered for Dublin this year in the forwards, that he should have got in ahead of him. The profile in the media looks like it has some impact too in who wins these in the end, i.e. AOS and BB

Deffo agree that media profile helps & that is where PA loses out. It certainly isn't from anything he did or didn't do on the pitch. The annual hype machine that surrounds AO'S, usually means that he has the Footballer of the Year gong in the bag, long before a ball is even kicked in August & September. Then, when he goes missing in September yet again, he gets a sympathy All Star because people feel sorry for him and Mayo. But lads who do do the business when it matters, get over looked. It's ridiculous. BB deffo deserves one. Whatever about the 6-21 scored, that 60 second period in the replay, when he scored one goal and set one up out of nothing for Philly, was his finest ever minute in a Dublin shirt imo.

I'd say that James McCarthy must be looking at his All Star from last year....a year when we were fcuked out of the competition in the semi's after conceding 3 goals....and then he thinks of what we & he accomplished (especially in defense) & won this year....and thinks to himself...whatdafuq !!!! :eek:

Deffo agree that media profile helps & that is where PA loses out. It certainly isn't from anything he did or didn't do on the pitch. The annual hype machine that surrounds AO'S, usually means he has Footballer of the Year gong in the bag, before a ball is even kicked in August & September. Then when he goes missing in September yet again, he gets a sympathy All Star because people feel sorry for him and Mayo. But lads who do do the business when it matters, get over looked. It's ridiculous. BB deffo deserves one. Whatever about the 6-21 scored, that 60 second period in the replay, when he scored one goal and set one up out of nothing for Philly, was his finest ever minute in a Dublin shirt imo.

I'd say that James McCarthy must be looking at his gong from last year....a year when we were fcuked out of the competition in the semi's after conceding 3 goals....and then he thinks of what we & he accomplished & won this year....and thinks to himself...whatdafuq !!!! :eek:

Pretty much nail on head there.

AOS had 2 semi's and didnt show up in either. PA was unreal Dublin's final three games and is overlooked.

I like Keegan, it was always going to be a close call between himself and James.

I have no problem at all with Keegan getting one, in case anyone thinks I am just biased against Mayo. (Perish the thought, right? :p )

I know he wasn't exactly the flavour of of the month around here, after the Dermo incident. But if there was a GAA transfer market, I think I'd take Keegan over almost any other player in the country. He has more big game cojones than the rest of the Mayo team put together. There is no shame whatsoever, in losing out on an All Star to a warrior like him. But Paddy Andrews is most definitely entitled to feel aggrieved imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It wouldn't have been fair to overlook Keegan.

A lot of this comes down to who lads marked.
    Keegan and McMahon looked great against an off form Connolly and Gooch, lads who were poor by their standards in most games this year, I'm not counting the games either team played against kildare this year.
    AOS took a lot of manpower to keep quiet against Dublin in the first game.
    People keep saying he only played well against Sligo and NY, but he also got the better of the Donegal lads, McGee has a big rep and AOS created goal opportunities and scored a goal against them, the Donegal lads dont see it like that but it's the truth, I was at the game and he had them very nervous when the ball was played in.
    For Keegan and AOS it would be hard to begrudge them an award

I was glad Maher got one, but it was very close. Some lads dont get the recognition sometimes, but I thought that say overall Bastic finished up better than say Parsons and even Maher too, but a player like him will never be given an all star. Early on in the season I thought Parsons had one in the bag

Dublin won the All Ireland this year but very few bar Fenton played well in most games.
    Kilkenny and Andrews had some poor games, and the truth be known Flynn and Connelly stood up and closed out the Kerry challenge in the second half of the final after having quiet seasons up to that.

We were left with a lot of players that played critical parts in some games and who were poor enough in others.

All that said I would put McCarthy ahead of some of the Dublin and Kerry winners this year, he's the real deal with respect to a fast hard defensive halfback.

Cluxton was subjected to attention no other keeper received this year and judged on it. AOS was expected to compensate for at least a couple of fellow Mayo attackers and is judged on that high expectation, Andrews for example was not double marked. Moran started very well but in the end it was shown to be a little bit hyped.

A lot of big reputations took a hammering this year imo.

I'd say that James McCarthy must be looking at his All Star from last year....a year when we were fcuked out of the competition in the semi's after conceding 3 goals....and then he thinks of what we & he accomplished (especially in defense) & won this year....and thinks to himself...whatdafuq !!!! :eek:

It was the same in 2011. McCarthy and Brennan outshone Nolan but his point (even though it was a good one) in the final won him the plaudits.

The entire year was judged on one point. It was ridiculous.

The losing semi finalists normally get one or two AS's. Its easy to give it to AOS and Keegan to take care of Mayo representation. Having said that i had Keegan, McCarthy, McCaffrey as my HB line this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fairness, at the start of the year did we think we'd be arguing that all of our backs deserved an all star? Some turnaround.

Bambi wrote:
    In fairness, at the start of the year did we think we'd be arguing that all of our backs deserved an all star? Some turnaround.

Great point . The first Mayo game showed the flaws in what we thought was a more defensive set up and tidied it up well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Is Con O Callaghan still injured?

Stoner wrote: »
    Great point . The first Mayo game showed the flaws in what we thought was a more defensive set up and tidied it up well

Don't think the flaws were in the system per se, they were in our mindset. That affected our discipline & that was reflected massively on the scoreboard.

After the final, one of the players said they went into the first semifinal way too hyper. They just weren't able or willing to calm it down a bit and & approach defending patiently and systematically. They went at it hell for leather & the game soon turned into the Cillian O'Connor show. Once we got our heads right & discipline improved, the ship was righted to a very great extent. If we'd been that level headed from the get go, the game would have been over long before half time & the bould Cillian could have gotten the 4 o'clock train back to Castlebar.

Why we went into a semi final, for the second year in a row, with our heads not where they needed to be, was a tad troubling. Given how much this team have won and achieved at the very highest level, such an admission took me by surprise. But we'll leave the reason for that, until next year, along with the 'What to do about Deano?' dilemma. I can't handle thinking about that, until I have had my turkey and Christmas pud at the very least. :rolleyes:

I agree 100% it was the point I failed to make , we thought the set up was more defensive but had not adjusted fully, So the second game was very similar the lads fell back and cut off well but they fixed the tackle, most other things had been practiced earlier that year.

Also if you remember when Rory went off in the first mayo game the attitude on the pitch changed I think that impacted on the rest of the game.

Yep. I think they got so used to not having to be 100% spot on with the tackles, as for every point from a free we conceded, we were well able to to score 4 down the other end. But when we were coming up against our first crop of All Star worthy defenders, the scores didn't come so easily. Add in the fact that the first semi final was the game that we (as well as the entire media) have had our eye on since the loss to Donegal, its understandable that adrenaline levels would be as high as they were. It could have been a recipe for disaster.

To be honest, I was very worried heading into the replay. I really didn't think that we could turn it around as quickly as we did. Great credit to everyone involved that we did. Mind you, the 3 goals in 9 minutes, helped just a tad too. :p

When is O'Gara back?

Some time next Spring, I'd imagine. The time line for cruciate injuries, from injury to full recovery, is about a year. He did it back in March, so barring any complications, we'll probably see him back some time during the league.

• Advertisement

All roads lead to Kilkenny for Dublin footballers

Outrageous. Where's Kilkenny!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

corny wrote: »

Does the LUAS red line go that far?

Edit: on a more serious note, the Leinster Gaa website is already showing the game as a Saturday 7pm throw in on 4th June. Ok it's a bank holiday weekend, but will make for awkward homeward journies especially if you want to make an evening of it.

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/leinster-gaa-championship-fixtures-2012/leinster-gaa-senior-football-championship-2012.256.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

Hotels booking up/booked up already. Just got mine- in case anybody is thinking of staying for the match.

Bank holiday weekend- also same weekend as Cat Laughs I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

corny wrote: »

Is this an example of the "wit" that the dubs are supposed to have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

frankled wrote: »
    Hotels booking up/booked up already. Just got mine- in case anybody is thinking of staying for the match.

Bank holiday weekend- also same weekend as Cat Laughs I've heard.

Cat laughs weekend? Now that shows a lack of thought. Laois' idea of Portlaoise looks a much better option now. A Saturday evening game, near 9pm finish in a town already packed for a festival, pubs already jammed, hope Iarnroid Eireann, Bus Eireann and Dublin coach have extra services ready but even that'll ruin the post match experience of a rare away game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement