Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    But on the flip side, Danny was a pretty handy footballer, back in the day. Maybe he could light a fire under Flynner & Dermo's arses in 2016. The Good Lord giveth and the Good Lord taketh away ! :p

The brethern in Swords tell me we won't be seeing Flynner for a fair while .. needs a tune up on the op table so there's a league place if he's interested :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well, with 2016 being only 3 weeks away, one would hope he has already had it. It's not like he's been busy with club duties for the past 3 months. Or has he? My knowledge of the Intermediate champo, wouldn't be the Mae West.

Well, with 2016 being only 3 weeks away, one would hope he has already had it. It's not like he's been busy with club duties for the past 3 months. Or has he? My knowledge of the Intermediate champo, wouldn't be the Mae West.

Aye I did a little match report on the Inter "B" champo final between Fingallians and Ballyboughal .. he was annonymous to the mainpart and defo needed the break - since 2011 he's been going late into the year when the IC scene is over with Fingallians contesting the previous 3 Inter finals and the B this year, for everyones good the chap needs a break

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Aye I did a little match report on the Inter "B" champo final between Fingallians and Ballyboughal .. he was annonymous to the mainpart and defo needed the break - since 2011 he's been going late into the year when the IC scene is over with Fingallians contesting the previous 3 Inter finals and the B this year, for everyones good the chap needs a break

Oh yeah, I remember that now. It's a niggley groin injury that he's been struggling with, for the past couple of years, isn't it? Rest & inactivity is what they need, more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not looking at all good for the hurlers. I heard some stories last year regarding the way Cunningham handled players being dropped which do not augur well. One player was allegedly told he was not playing on his way to Tullamore on the bus to play Galway in the replay!

Keaney is obviously taking into account that he will be with Boden at least until mid February and does not sound any way enthusiastic about coming back after that.

I presume Cunningham's contract ends in 2017? Perhaps we can best wait until then and hope to survive in Division One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

DoctaDee wrote: »

Did he play in league playoff against Whitehall last week?

I doubt it. He's been away off on the team holiday in Thailand, for the past 2 weeks.
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not looking at all good for the hurlers. I heard some stories last year regarding the way Cunningham handled players being dropped which do not augur well. One player was allegedly told he was not playing on his way to Tullamore on the bus to play Galway in the replay!

Keaney is obviously taking into account that he will be with Boden at least until mid February and does not sound any way enthusiastic about coming back after that.

I presume Cunningham's contract ends in 2017? Perhaps we can best wait until then and hope to survive in Division One.

What? :eek:

Our best player has just left the panel. No valid reason, (such as Mannion having to go to China for a year, to complete his studies,) is forthcoming as to why. There are rumblings that GC's man management skills are traditionally old school....aka piss poor. But we should sit back and do nothing about any of this, for 2 more years? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

As expected Alan Brogan has hung up his boots. Great to go out on such a high.

Had the pleasure of playing him with him on several occasions as a young lad. Always stood out by a Dublin mile.
    And also a great lad to boot, i doubt many would have a bad word to say about him.

Well b0ll0cks to that anyway. Not entirely unexpected, but still sad when it actually happens. He was such a brilliant, brilliant player & inspirational leader. Unlike the last few high profile retirements, I think he had a lot more to offer in 2016, if he had decided to give it one more year. Still, what a way to bow out of a distinguished career in sky blue. That point in the AI final will be remembered for a very long time. Thanks Alan, for everything.

Hard to believe that it is over 13 years since he won under 21 final in Navan against Tyrone. Was first All Ireland Dublin had won in anything for seven years. Must have looked for a long time that it might have been his only one!

So retiring after to all intents and purposes putting the final beyond Kerry with that brilliant point just after he came on, is sort of appropriate. Not a Plunketts person but was hoping they might have won Dublin this year. I'm sure he'll stay on with them next year.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and he had to wait nearly 10 years to get his hand on an AI medal and, now he is retiring with three in the back pocket. I often wonder what the old soldiers like him, think of the likes of Jack Mc and Fenton.... young buckos barely out of nappies, and they waltz in and win an AI medal in their first year in the blue jersey. He's far too much an all around good egg to resent them for it, but I know I would if I was him. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

I often wonder what the old soldiers like him, think of the likes of Jack Mc and Fenton.... young buckos barely out of nappies, and they waltz in and win an AI medal in their first year in the blue jersey. He's far too much an all around good egg to resent them for it, but I know I would if I was him. :o

Can't see any of the old soldiers resenting anything. Sure Al wouldn't have the most recent medal without Fento and Jack's performances in the Semis and the final :D:D

Ah yeah, I know. Perhaps the word "resent" was too strong. It's just the nature of sport.... some players get their medals at the beginning of their career, some at the end, some in the middle and, those feckers from Kilkenny the really, really lucky ones, win them year in and year out.

But if you win them in the twilight of your career, its only human nature to cast a wistful eye at the playing careers of the young lads coming in behind you. The like of the Brogans, Cluxton, Cullen etc etc built the foundation that the McCaffreys and the Fentons stand on.

Yeah, and he had to wait nearly 10 years to get his hand on an AI medal and, now he is retiring with three in the back pocket. I often wonder what the old soldiers like him, think of the likes of Jack Mc and Fenton.... young buckos barely out of nappies, and they waltz in and win an AI medal in their first year in the blue jersey. He's far too much an all around good egg to resent them for it, but I know I would if I was him. :o

Chum of mine asked one long time player from the Lyons/Pillar era did he regret having missed out on 2011.

"What the fk do you think?" was the reply!

I'd imagine that winning them near end of your career makes you appreciate them more. hopefully we will see one of current crop equaling and surpassing Mullins and the Blue Panther's record of four celtic crosses!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Always admired brogan and loved his playing style.
    Love the way he over exaggerated his hop of the ball, gained him an extra yard or two when skinning a lad.
    Classy player!

Always admired brogan and loved his playing style.
    Love the way he over exaggerated his hop of the ball, gained him an extra yard or two when skinning a lad.
    Classy player!

His dummy hand passes to Dermie for that point against Kerry were sublime. Just left him that second to cut inside and bang! Job done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hated him which basically means he always seemed to have a stormer against us :pac:
    Without him, I don't think Dublin would have had the dominance in Leinster from 05-09. Indeed, it was his goals that basically beat us in 05 and drew against us in 07. Best of luck to him in his retirement.

Great tweet from Mossy Quinn today, about this very Alan Brogan funny moment from the 2011 AI final.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWSFQZ2XIAE9XZp.jpg:large

That's the great thing about the Hill on the big day. It only took about 2.4 nanoseconds to go from "Whaaaaaaa ? :eek: Who da fuk is Lenny Holohan? " to everyone chanting "There's only one Lenny Holohan" at full pelt. :D

It was a great way to have a laugh & ease the tension, at a time when everyone was absolutely $hittting themselves with nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well b0ll0cks to that anyway. Not entirely unexpected, but still sad when it actually happens. He was such a brilliant, brilliant player & inspirational leader. Unlike the last few high profile retirements, I think he had a lot more to offer in 2016, if he had decided to give it one more year. Still, what a way to bow out of a distinguished career in sky blue. That point in the AI final will be remembered for a very long time. Thanks Alan, for everything.

In all of the great things he's ever done. His presence on the pitch in Septemeber was amazing. That point was sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I would have liked if he stayed on, not as a starter as the team still seemed to drop down a bit when he left . But when he came on as a sub it gave a huge lift and Bernard got new life in him. The attack would change for 15 minutes. He still has that in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Anyone know if the county board are doing a 2016 calendar?

They brought one out following the All Ireland wins in 2011 and 2013 and I'm almost certain they were in the shops a couple of weeks before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Anyone know if the county board are doing a 2016 calendar?

They brought one out following the All Ireland wins in 2011 and 2013 and I'm almost certain they were in the shops a couple of weeks before Christmas.

Pretty sure I saw a 2016 Dubs calendar in the Jervis shopping center the other day.

There is a 2016 GAA calendar knocking about, but its not a Dubs one. It has Paul Flynn on the front cover, which led me to thinking that it was a Dubs one, but sadly its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

There is a 2016 GAA calendar knocking about, but its not a Dubs one. It has Paul Flynn on the front cover, which led me to thinking that it was a Dubs one, but sadly its not.

The handsome bastard.

Haven't seen the county Board year book yet either.

By the way, anyone know where the New Years blue Stars game is at this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Haven't seen the county Board year book yet either.

By the way, anyone know where the New Years blue Stars game is at this year?

Crokes I think

howiya wrote: »
    Crokes I think

Thanks.

The handsome bastard.

He's a Dub. They are ALL handsome bastards ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

He's a Dub. They are ALL handsome bastards ! :D

Is it true that the GAA wanted to invent 3 extra months just so they could have all the Dublin players in one calendar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is it true that the GAA wanted to invent 3 extra months just so they could have all the Dublin players in one calendar?

Replayuary

Given the "brand" that Dublin is now - well, it is according to the culchies anyway :rolleyes: - maybe we could find some Chinese company to come on board as one of our sponsors next year? Then we can have a Chinese New Year calendar with all 15 players on it. Maybe an ancient Chinese herbal medicine for.... male pattern baldness, or sumfink like that? :p

Read an interview with Berno yesterday. Said he thought Alan would have stayed on, if Jim Gavin gave him the ok to take winter training and the league off & come back for the Leinster champo. I was surprised at that. I thought Gavin already did that, not just for Alan Brogan, but for all the senior, older and/or injured players. I can totally understand why Alan decided to walk away. It's a very big commitment to make, if you are going to be coming off the bench, but I think he'll be a big loss next year. He just has that intangible X factor, that very few players have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Nah I'm glad he's leaving.:eek: Ok not glad. I just don't see it as a huge negative or loss. Couple of reasons.

1. Dublin have options up front and i'm a big believer in asking younger lads to write their own bit of history.

2. Time eventually catches up with people and most players don't see it coming. Who's to say that after a game or two next year management might have made the decision for him. He certainly couldn't have finished his IC career on a higher note.

Given the form he was in last years, I could definitely see him being in the mix again next year. If he is fit, why would mgt suddenly drop him?

I definitely see the merit of giving some of the newer lads games time, especially in the white hot heat of the championship. We are heading into Jim Gavins's 4th year in charge. Other than Brian Fenton, don't we head into 2016 with pretty much the same 20 odd players starting and coming off the bench, that we did back in his first year in charge?

We deffo need to get some more fresh blood coming through, but a thoroughbred like Alan Brogan doesn't come along very often. He is great asset to have coming off the bench. Given how important that bench has been for us over the years, I'm just sorry to see it get further depleted, as Dennis Bastick's departure is probably next. :(

Gavin has used the O'Byrne Cup and league, and indeed the participation of fellas like Fenton and others in O'Byrne and Sigerson for their colleges, brilliantly.

He starts with a big pool of possibles and by the latter stages of the league has a battle ready, tested and honed panel for the Championship. It is true that Fenton was the only 'find' last year, but what a find he was! In any event Gavin had his eye on him from 21s and there are others coming along as well.

It also keeps the level of competition for places high. Like the Cats in hurling a lot of the real stuff happens in training matches.

I was not confident in 2012 that they would retain the AI. I am reasonably confident about 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I was not confident in 2012 that they would retain the AI. I am reasonably confident about 2016.

I don't know. It's such a difficult thing to do and it's not as if there's much distance from the chasing pack.

I think it would be great to have a couple of new players in the squad who have not won an All Ireland. I think the hunger of a player without a coveted all Ireland chasing a place on the team definitely drives everyone on. The existing players have the quality and someone trying to rob their place is extra motivation.

The league will be interesting to see has Gavin found anyone he likes

• Advertisement

Gavin has used the O'Byrne Cup and league, and indeed the participation of fellas like Fenton and others in O'Byrne and Sigerson for their colleges, brilliantly.

He starts with a big pool of possibles and by the latter stages of the league has a battle ready, tested and honed panel for the Championship. It is true that Fenton was the only 'find' last year, but what a find he was! In any event Gavin had his eye on him from 21s and there are others coming along as well.

It also keeps the level of competition for places high. Like the Cats in hurling a lot of the real stuff happens in training matches.

I know there is a lot of talk about competition for places being fierce, but is it really, compared to other years? By the time the 2013 champo rolled around, Paul Mannion, Jack McCaffrey, Kevin O'Brien, Johnny Cooper, Paddy Andrews & Deano had all either nailed down a starting jersery, or were one of the first to be called up when Gavin went to the bench. None of them featured in Gilroys squads the year before, but they played a massive role in 2013. I think that massive injection of fresh blood, played a big role in our success that year. It didn't happen again in 2014 or 2015, other than Fenton.

That is fair enough to a point. A new manager will be a fresh start in his first year in charge, more than he probably will be in his 2nd or 3rd. But you'd still like to see on going development of the newer lads. In the 2014/15 campaigns, there were established players who were clearly under performing, yet they never seemed remotely close to ever losing their jersey to one of the newer lads. Some of them are going to go down in the history books as all time Dublin greats, so you'd have to think long and hard about dropping them. Often, their operating at 75% capacity, is far better than someone else at 100% capacity. But still, whatever way you spin it, we need more fresh blood coming through & I'd really like to see the like of Costello and McHugh etc etc get more game time next year. We're probably not going to be needing them massively in 2016, but its only a matter of time before we do.

I'd say McHugh will get a good bit of game time in O'Byrne and league. And of course O'Gara is back! He has same ability as Donaghy to cause havoc around the square, and they missed that a bit when he wasn't around. Hopefully Michael Darragh will be occupied with Boden until March so will be interesting to see if he introduces a new face at midfield in the early part of the year.

It's a bit of a bind changing for changing sake .. but I do agree that the 2012 attitude could still be something that lingers around the team with all the best intentions of ensuring that it doesn't. It's hard to see where the new faces will squeeze into the championship team - certainly the back 6 barring injury or complete loss of form will remain quite stable I'd say. Strangely the one area that we don't envisage changing but maybe forced to do do is in goals - I don't think anyone involved knows Cluxtons full intention but suffice to say that it wouldn't come as a huge surprise if he decides enough is enough. I'd like to see the returning Kevin O'Brien, Culligan, Lowndes(E), Davy Byrne, Small, continue with their development and the introduction of maybe Molloy, McDaid, McGowan and Michael Concarr.

Midfield with DB possibly calling it a day will remain the problem area with a shortage of replacements as we stand, I'd see one of the HF line being drafted as an auxilliary mid, it'll be another year for the likes of O'Conghaile & Carthy to develop but I don't see an out of the box MF coming to the fore .. but then again I didn't see Fenton stepping up either, maybe Paddy Higgins will look at Fenton and say if he can do it so can I .. who knows..

There's so many decent forwards available there's no point in running through them all but I'd be interested to see if McHugh can step up - I was disappointed with him in the U21's semi v Tipp this year when we were crying out for someone to take the game by the scruff he missed some scorable chances under the pressure of the occasion. Ta

Don't think that it is a case of change for change sake. If you remain static, you stagnate. We may think that we have no gaping holes now, but there is always room for improvement. Back in 2013, the likes of Kevin O'Brien, Mannion, Rock, Paddy Andrews, Jack Mc, Cooper, Kilkenny etc etc took the jerseys off far more established players. So its no harm to keep a fire lit under everyones arse, in actuality & not just have it be something that is trotted out in interviews.

Btw, the venues and times of the first two O'Byrne Cup fixtures are out.

Rnd 1 Sun Jan 3 - Wexford v Dublin, St Patricks Park, Enniscorthy @2pm
    Rnd 2 Wed Jan 6 - Dublin v IT Carlow, Parnell Park @7.30pm
    Rnd 3 is Sun Jan 10 in Parnell Park, no time announced yet.

Anything daycint to do/see in Enniscorthy over New Years weekend? Was kinda hoping for Wexford Park. The roaring fire of the Ferrycarrig bar was calling my name. :(

Anything daycint to do/see in Enniscorthy over New Years weekend? Was kinda hoping for Wexford Park. The roaring fire of the Ferrycarrig bar was calling my name. :(

Would've preferred them have it on in Bellefield if it was to be Enniscorthy, great bar facilities overlooking the pitch .. Patricks Park is tighter than a mouses ear to get inta .. best parking at the boxing club if you can. Donohoes there at the Convent/Duffry Gate was my goto pub .. locals would probably have a better spot.

• Advertisement

Is this St Patricks Park? Surely this can't be where we're playing the Wexicans. There isn't even a stand. Or is that blue and grey cow shed "thing" (that you can see, if you rotate the street view) a stand?

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/st+patrick's+park+enniscorthy/@52.4985514,-6.5746731,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sci2GIatSvLpWUQT4r5Y7YA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xebbb09d2a274a67c!6m1!1e1

Is this St Patricks Park? Surely this can't be where we're playing. There isn't even a stand. Or is that blue and grey cow shed "thing" (that you can see, if you rotate the street view) a stand?

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/st+patrick's+park+enniscorthy/@52.4985514,-6.5746731,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sci2GIatSvLpWUQT4r5Y7YA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xebbb09d2a274a67c!6m1!1e1

Yeah that's the one indeed up beside the greyhound stadium .. Pearse Road which is the entrance to the park is wide enough for 1 car

So the stand is for the greyhound stadium & not the GAA pitch?

So the stand is for the greyhound stadium & not the GAA pitch?

Nah .. if memory serves the greyhounds are further up the way. I cant honestly say whether its a covered stand or not, I've only ever been to Bellefield as I said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Is this St Patricks Park? Surely this can't be where we're playing the Wexican. There isn't even a stand. Or is that blue and grey cow shed "thing" (that you can see, if you rotate the street view) a stand?

thats the dressing rooms that you can see there.

There is a stand there now, not very big, but probably depends on how many Dubs come down for it. You can see it in the background here:
    35bhx1x.jpg

There is railings all down both sidelines and a very small embankment behind the dressing room goals, and nothing behind the other goal. You could still stay in the Ferrycarrig, it's a 20 minute drive at worst, and Wexford Park would be a ten minute drive too, so not a massive difference. You could also stay at the riverside, a pretty nice hotel that is about a ten minute walk away from the ground which could save on parking problems.

There will be damn all from Wexford there to be honest. Parking is usually done in the rugby pitches adjacent to the pitch. The pitch itself is actually one of the better ones in the county, and is one of the main training pitches and is used for most of the underage county finals.

With the Wexford game on the next day, it will be interesting to see what 'Dublin' team takes the field in Crokes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Wexford game switched to O'Kennedy Park in New Ross

Wexford love bringing the Dubs to obscure places!

New Ross? Ah here....that's practically Watherfuud ! :eek:

Are ya sure it isn't the other way round, New Ross to Enniscorthy ? At the launch last week it was defo Enniscorthy. Having a few relations in the town I saw the opportunity for beer and a sleepover :D If it's New Ross I'll be leaving it to the hardcore Ultras i.e ProudDub ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement