Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Are ya sure it isn't the other way round, New Ross to Enniscorthy ? At the launch last week it was defo Enniscorthy. Having a few relations in the town I saw the opportunity for beer and a sleepover :D If it's New Ross I'll be leaving it to the hardcore Ultras i.e ProudDub ;)
    http://www.dublingaa.ie/news/change-of-venue-for-obyrne-cup-opener

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Are ya sure it isn't the other way round, New Ross to Enniscorthy ? At the launch last week it was defo Enniscorthy. Having a few relations in the town I saw the opportunity for beer and a sleepover :D If it's New Ross I'll be leaving it to the hardcore Ultras i.e ProudDub ;)

I'm the Martini Rosso* of Dublin fans.

Any time. Any place. Any where ! :D

I actually love the first couple of O'Byrne Cup games, coming as they do so near to the New Year. It's a great way to get out of the house and get some air into your lungs, after a month spent in crowded shopping centres, noisy pubs & watching Graham Norton Xmas specials on the telly, in front of the fire, while your Aunty Nuala tries to force feed you yet more sherry trifle (vomits :( ) and mince pies.

There more than is a whiff of summer in the air (as well as rancid Paco Rabanne smellies from the Henry St stalls) as you freeze your giblets off in exotic far flung locations such as Dundalk, Carlow & Portarlington, wondering which of the new kids on the block, will you be seeing in August/September. All the while, hoping to God, the ref blows it up soon, so you can repair to the local hostelry and defrost yer giblets.

Gift basket of Paco Rabanne Factor 45 & aftersun lotions, that smells of dead cats, anyone....anyone? :P

*No, Martini Rosso is not the new striker for Juventus. If you are under the age of 35, get someone to explain it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Your Aunty Nuala's sherry triffle is superb !!

Martini Rosso & Cinzano Bianco 2 hard men

Yep. He won't ever admit it, but they taught The Bucher of Bilbao all he knows...the big girls blouse.

The words "trifle" "superb" & "sherry" belong in the same sentence, about as much as carrots do in a coddle !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tbh i dont like triffle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Wexford love bringing the Dubs to obscure places!

Hardly obscure, one of 4 towns in the county capable of holding the game.

Ross is a dump too. Ground is crap and non existent parking facilities. It's better than Patrick's park, but the pitch itself is not as good. Brandon House is main hotel to stay in, decent hotel in fairness, but nothing spectacular. It has a good spa and leisure centre, so if you need to bribe your better half to go to a game 2 hours away in a dump of a town, a voucher for there could help immensely.

bruschi wrote: »
    Hardly obscure, one of 4 towns in the county capable of holding the game.

Ross is a dump too. Ground is crap and non existent parking facilities. It's better than Patrick's park, but the pitch itself is not as good. Brandon House is main hotel to stay in, decent hotel in fairness, but nothing spectacular. It has a good spa and leisure centre, so if you need to bribe your better half to go to a game 2 hours away in a dump of a town, a voucher for there could help immensely.

LOL.. so how's that job with Wexford Tourism Board going Bruschi

New Ross has very limited appeal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

LOL.. so how's that job with Wexford Tourism Board going Bruschi

New Ross has very limited appeal

Limited is the word for it alright. I'd probably use something stronger tho! At least in summer the weather might be good and there are other things around to do. But winter, in Ross. Awful. And I live nearby and went to School there! At least there is nearly a full motorway down the Waterford route, and the coast road isn't too bad now either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Rory O'C possibly to miss all of next season. Big loss our only real number 3 since Paddy Christy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Stoner wrote: »
    Rory O'C possibly to miss all of next season. Big loss our only real number 3 since Paddy Christy imo.

Where are you hearing this? Be a real disaster is true. He'd be the player I would least want to lose.

Merry Christmas to all you beautiful Dubs. An especially Happy Xmas to the poor bastard in the DCB press officer who has had to lug the 4 trophies around with him all the time, since September.

I hope yiz all had a great day yesterday. (Except Stoner. Stoner can shag right off for ruining my day. :mad:) We are all so lucky to be living in these glorious days for our fair city. Hopefully, we'll have many more of them in 2016 and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Anyone any idea on the game for Sunday still going ahead after all this rain ?

• Advertisement

Don't see why it wouldn't. The DCB tweeted that it was still going ahead earlier today. Today is only Tuesday & Crokes pitch is one of best in the city. Plenty of time to dry it out and get it in tip top shape for Saturday.

So who's heading to Wexford on Sunday?

Be interesting to what players are...ahem...available to line out for either game, considering that Eamon Fennell and Stephen Cluxton are getting married on the Wednesday and Thursday. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Eamon Fennell and Stephen Cluxton are getting married on the Wednesday and Thursday. :P

Jaysus. Ger Brennan was right .......

But OH what kickout kickass babies they'll make !

Tomorrows Dubs/Blue Stars game @Crokes is off due to the weather.

The only football been played these days is on the all weather down on the Alfie Byrne Road .. we've closed our pitches til end of January :(

• Advertisement

I know. It's mental. And the long term forecast is for 3 more weeks of this shyte, so there are no guarantees that anywhere will be playable a month from now. Parnells and Brigids have all weather pitches, don't they? Wonder where the Dubs trained for Sundays match, if they trained anywhere at all.

There's a sythetic pitch up in St. Clares AFAIK

O'Byrne Cup game switched back to Enniscorthy from New Ross.

Give yourself plenty of time to get there. Enniscorthy town centre is closed off and there are diversions for all N11 traffic.

ProudDUB wrote:

Will you make up your mind.
    I'll have to add a feed from this into the GPS.

Well gov'nor, if u got off yer lazy arse & followed the DCB Twitter account, like 'wot I does....you'd be getting these updates at the same time as yours truly ! :p

Give yourself plenty of time to get there. Enniscorthy town centre is closed off and there are diversions for all N11 traffic.

Yeah turn right at the roundabout and come in the top end of the town by the graveyard/convent you'll keep away from the flooding

Docta, when we were on the detour route (coming in from Dublin) we merged with a busy road in front of the Supervalu. We could see floodlights off to the right, not too far away. Would that be St Patricks Park? I want to get it right first time, as the traffic was so heavy, you might not have time to back track. All of the Dublin to Wexford/Rosslare traffic is being diverted down that one narrow road, so it won't just be match traffic going that way tomorrow. Satnavs and GPS systems will be of limited use, with all the road closures.

Docta, when we were on the detour route, we merged with a busy road in front of the Supervalu. We could see floodlights off to the right, not too far away. Would that be St Patricks Park? I want to get it right first time, as the traffic was so heavy, you might not have time to back track. All of the Dublin to Wexford/Rosslare traffic is being diverted down that one narrow road, so it won't just be match traffic going that way tomorrow. Satnavs and GPS systems will be of limited use, with all the road closures.

Yeah PD, that's the convent road you came in on, get to the junction and Pettitts supermarket is facing you with Donohos pub next to it, go right at the pub and across the next junction (Weafer St), then Pearse Rd will be on yer right about 1/4 mile up after the library. Follow the road up by the shop (swings left) and there's a car park at the boxing club if you can get a spot (on your left).

We'd a great run down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Being kept indoors by exams.

Just heard the HT score (WEX 2-05 DUB 0-04). What's the lowdown? What team is out?

• Advertisement

Had most of the possession in the first half, but we kicked a lot of bad wides into a strong wind, while the Wexicans made the most of their chances. We both had penos. They scored theirs, but we (Rock) missed ours. Should have the wind with us in the 2nd half, which should help. I hope.

Had most of the possession in the first half, but we kicked a lot of bad wides into a strong wind, while the Wexicans made the most of their chances. We both had penos. They scored theirs, but we (Rock) missed ours. Should have the wind with us in the 2nd half, which should help. I hope.

1 pt game now. 2-5 to 0-10

All over. Draw. 2-6 to 0-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

1 point for the yella-bellies in the second half? Gawd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good comeback with peripheral team. Just saw the team on someone's twitter. Was that Cian O'Callaghan from Cuala who started in forwards? Be another fkn disaster for hurlers if he was to jump ship.

Finished a draw. I think Wexford only scored one point in the second half .

Our levelling point at the end was fantastic, was it Mac Donnacha?

A handful of Ballymun players came on, McMahon got a black card for a trip, but had made a big difference along side James McCarthy who came in around the middle. Scully made a difference too.

I was hoping mannion would make this panel.

It had a bit of excitement at the end as they got their score to go a point ahead. We hit the post and the crossbar.

A draw was fair enough as their no 15 (Shanley I think was named but it was brosnan) was very good in the first half. He had to go deeper in the second half , Scully did well to track back on him in the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Good comeback with peripheral team. Just saw the team on someone's twitter. Was that Cian O'Callaghan from Cuala who started in forwards? Be another fkn disaster for hurlers if he was to jump ship.
    No Con O'Callaghan. They are brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Stoner wrote: »
    Finished a draw. I think Wexford only scored one point in the second half .

Our levelling point at the end was fantastic, was it Mac Donnacha?

A handful of Ballymun players came on, McMahon got a black card for a trip, but had made a big difference along side James McCarthy who came in around the middle. Scully made a difference too.

I was hoping mannion would make this panel.

It had a bit of excitement at the end as they got their score to go a point ahead. We hit the post and the crossbar.

A draw was fair enough as their no 15 (Shanley I think) was very good in the first half. He had to go deeper in the second half , Scully did well to track back on him in the last minute.

Not sure is Mannion playing with UCD in O'Byrne Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Rory off to NZ soon confirmed by Gavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I saw that four Vincents players were starting, Jarlath Curely, Shane Carthy, Michael Savage and Concarr. How did they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Has anybody else noticed that Dublin are down to play DCU in the O'Byrne cup in Parnell Park at 2pm on Sunday the 10th and at the very same time and venue are due to play Antrim in the Walsh cup?

Leinster GAA Fixtures

How is that going to work out or has there been any change to either fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Billy Mays wrote: »

Some decision that. Must know he's walking away from what must be a massive chance of another All Ireland medal.

Cant have been easy that. In some ways it sets a good precedent. I know in Donegal there's a serious expectation on the players to commit to the county through the club/community aspect. Almost like there's no other choice for the player.

Football's important, naturally, but so is living. Good on O'Carroll and for Gavin for supporting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Billy Mays wrote: »

Might give the rest of us a chink of hope for the year,best full back in the country bar none.Serious loss.

Would Philly McMahon be likely to go full back and Mick Fitzsimmons revert to the corner?

Hope he enjoys his travels anyhow,there is a life outside of the GAA... Not much though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

seligehgit wrote: »
    Might give the rest of us a chink of hope for the year,best full back in the country bar none.Serious

Neil McGee might have something to say about that :p

• Advertisement

Neil McGee might have something to say about that

He might alright but we're not listening to lies here !!!

He the right man for Star all the same been doing a good job on him since he was just 21. Sometimes people forget how young he is as it seems he's been around for ages. He could go off and come back and still be almost the same age McGee was when he won his All Ireland.

One thing for sure he's our best option anyway, huge loss might be why Jarlath Curley was given another run today.

LostBoy101 wrote:
    I saw that four Vincents players were starting, Jarlath Curely, Shane Carthy, Michael Savage and Concarr. How did they do?

IMO I didnt think they had a good afternoon. Jarlath seemed out of position, Concarr too I'd didn't think had a good day.

Carthy was ok.

But it was a difficult first half. The wexford lads got themselves in the scoring zone a lot, resulting in well worked but as a result handy points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Gael85 wrote: »
    Not sure is Mannion playing with UCD in O'Byrne Cup?

Yes. Played against Laois today.

I'd have to think it's a great opportunity for Olafs Davy Byrne to make his mark at FB for the coming season. Having captained both the Minors & 21's there must be something to the lad that Dessie Farrell has certainly seen. I've heard he found the adjustment from underage to the senior set up a little difficult initially but this will be his 3rd year involved with the seniors.

Interesting day out. Very, very slow to get going, but great come back in the second half. The wind was very strong in the first, so our wides and shot selection were all over the shop. You'd like to see a bit more composure on display, especially from the newer lads who are trying to stake a claim. I know the year is young, but none of them did themselves any favors really. Great to see Deano in such good form. That last point - to tie the game - was an absolute beaut. It'll be great for his confidence, considering how 2015 ended for him.

Where are the semi final and final due to be held, if we make it that far? Hope where ever it is, has floodlights. It was so overcast yesterday, it was hard to see the action down the other end of the pitch, even though it was a 2pm throw in.

Great to see Bastick on board for another year. He bossed midfield yesterday. Great to see.

All the very best to Rory....a very intelligent, well rounded young man, who is well aware that there is a lot more to life than football. I wonder if all the head injuries he has sustained, played a role in his decision. We'll never be able to replace like for like, but I think we'll be ok. There are a lot of options and Gavin has a lot of time to figure this out. With the way that we play these days, we don't need an exact like for like, positional replacement. Being versatile can be just as important as being a traditional full back. Cian sweeps, Bastick often drops back to give additional cover, as do Flynner and Connolly, Philly doesn't have to wait long for the cavalry to arrive, when he is on the other crowds "main" man. We need someone to fit in to all of that, not necessarily be your typical no 3. I think we'll be ok..ish....gulp.... :(

Saw the new Mr & Mrs Cluxton at the game yesterday. Guess Our Fearless Leader got Bruschi's Guide to Exotic Wexford Honeymoon Destinations for Christmas, eh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement