Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

PD .. did McCarthy slot into midfield when he replaced Bastick? .. disappointed Nicky D didn't see 15 minutes of football. Lots of expectation from a Dublin POV that Niall Scully will step up this year - did you see anything that would suggest so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Has anybody else noticed that Dublin are down to play DCU in the O'Byrne cup in Parnell Park at 2pm on Sunday the 10th and at the very same time and venue are due to play Antrim in the Walsh cup?

Leinster GAA Fixtures

How is that going to work out or has there been any change to either fixture?

Probably let the hurlers play on the little pitch beside Ciarans :)

On another note, why are Antrim still in Walsh Cup? They lost their senior status and therefore are no longer technically a "Leinster" team. They were a disgrace against Dublin last year the way they played. Suthcliffe in particular was target of their thuggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote:
    Lots of expectation from a Dublin POV that Niall Scully will step up this year - did you see anything that would suggest so?

I 've always been a fan. Even back when he was the least spectacular of a three man line. But his movement was always great.

His first touch yesterday was a lovely footpass on the outside of his left boot that set up a point.

He also showed awareness to be the only one to pick up Ben Brosnan at the very end of the game on wexfords final chance.

He looked more at home than some of the other lads. For me he has a touch of Alan Brogan about his support play and he moves very well.

I'd like to see him get a good run.

On another issue. MDMA did very well dropping back to support the backs in the championship last year.

Remember on Stars penalty call in the final, regardless it was his ball and he cleared it, did a bit of it against mayo too when he came on. Might be needed this year.

I called the last point for us wrong so. I thought it was Rock initially but changed my mind it was a fantastic point, back to his accuracy he displayed against Donegal in the league a few years ago, he's the only player we have that can take those massive points imo.

Ah thats good and certainly encouraging for Scully - he has all the skill in the world and I think he flourished in the fast paced game of U21's & previously Minor .. how he copes with the wizened defenders in the senior game will be his ultimate test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The hurlers are playing at PP on Thursday. That's a typo on the Leinster page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The hurlers are playing at PP on Thursday. That's a typo on the Leinster page.
    That game is on the Leinster GAA page too as the first game in the Walsh Cup.

It's a mistake.

They are playing on Thursday, according to the Dublin Co Board. As they are the ones hosting the actual games, I'd take their word for it. :)

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial?lang=en

It's a mistake.

They are playing on Thursday, according to the Dublin Co Board. As they are the ones hosting the actual games, I'd take their word for it. :)

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial?lang=en
    I agree its a mistake but I'm not disputing there is a game on Thursday (I'm heading to it) and neither is Leinster GAA as can be seen from this excerpt
    TNXpAFC.png

but that also shows there is a game on Sunday and further up the Leinster page we see (in the O Byrne Cup) another game on at the exact same time on the exact same day in the exact same stadium
    xYhZRrR.png

This is what I sought clarification on, the Sunday games. Are you by any chance mixing up UCD and DCU as Dublin's opponents?

DoctaDee wrote:
    Ah thats good and certainly encouraging for Scully - he has all the skill in the world and I think he flourished in the fast paced game of U21's & previously Minor .. how he copes with the wizened defenders in the senior game will be his ultimate test

True, and McCarthy did slot into midfield at half time, he added a bit of ball carrying to it, made a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

What is the situation / story with Gavin Burke (Vincents) and the Dublin panel / squad?

• Advertisement

BKWDR wrote: »
    What is the situation / story with Gavin Burke (Vincents) and the Dublin panel / squad?

I'm nearly sure he's still studying in DCU (tho something tells me he got his degree last year), but from a Dublin perspective he could still be lining out early part of the year for DCU in the OBC & Sigerson. He's only early 20's plenty of time on his hands and like a fair few before him may offer options in both the HF and HB line

This is the extended panel for the O'Byrne Cup.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXv8e7QWsAAmicz.jpg:large

Jim Gavin said that is the panel he'll be sticking with for the remainder of the O'B Cup, so if he isn't on it now, he isn't likely to be.

PP unplayable.

Both mid week games moved to IT Carlow and UCD.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/684382558562467840?lang=en

Venue changed again. :rolleyes:

Game is back in Dublin, Russell Park at St Brigids.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/684486537183162368?lang=en

I flippin' well give up at this stage.

A handy stroll for me.

Can someone Google map link the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Delighted they have moved it too Brigids,I'll now not have to venture to far from home after work.

Google maps link to Brigids. It's just off the Navan Rd.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/St+Brigids+GAA+Club/@53.3775247,-6.3535389,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670d6c1834fd6b:0xb9b020e3ff274050?hl=en

Brigids has a massive car park. The road that leads down to it (once you come off the Navan Rd/Auburn Ave roundabout) is a long straight residential road, with plenty of additional parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just finished John Leonard's book last night, "Dub Sub Confidential". Quite a good read, he lived some lifestyle. Gives a nice little bit of insight into life under Pillar and how Cluxton approaches the game.

• Advertisement

Just finished John Leonard's book last night, "Dub Sub Confidential". Quite a good read, he lived some lifestyle. Gives a nice little bit of insight into life under Pillar and how Cluxton approaches the game.

I enjoyed it too. I liked how at the end, it all shifted and changed when Pat Gilroy came in. I remember the fuss that the media made when it was news that the lads were training early morning before work.

Its a good read, glad he's getting success off it

Jebus. What a night. I have nothing to say about who did or didn't play well. My glasses were so sodden all evening, all I saw were 15 blue blurs and 15 green blurs. I think Cormac Costello played well, as he was a far zippier blue blur, than the other blue blurs. :rolleyes:

I thought Paddy zipped around a fair bit too, I think the crowd and the players were in agreement 35 mins was enough for any man or woman

Edit .. oh an yeah my Arnotts rainjacket has miraculously turned to blotting paper over the Winter. Base layer, hoodie and rainjacket and I might as well have gone in da nip .. well you get the point ..:P

Yeah, Paddy zipped too. I only knew Paddy was Paddy, as he elicited a few cheers from the partisan locals, every time he touched the ball. Otherwise, he could have been Jimmy Keavney, for all I knew. He did lob in a bee-yoot-i-ful goal in the first half. T'was positively Kev Mc-esque. People will debate for years, whether it was supposed to be a point or a goal. Well, they will in the car, on the way home anyway. :p

Conceding 4 goals over 2 games is a tad worrying. I know its only January & the conditions were terrible, 'n'all, but its not great if you're trying to make an impression.

Hope to God the DCU game is in PP. At least there is a bit of shelter there. But I'm not holding my breath, given the weather out there, right now. Go home Mother Nature, you're drunk ! :mad:

Yeah good win for DU down in 'scorthy tonight. I can't see the game at the weekend being played on anything other than carpet, plastic etc

I have no great opinion on the goal concession other than not liking to see them go in. . McHugh and McGraynor will make life difficult on that showing ..winner takes all so hopefully there'll be an edge to it

DCU don't need to win. They won their 2 games so far, so a draw will do for them to top the group.

• Advertisement

DCU don't need to win. They won their 2 games so far, so a draw will do for them to top the group.
    Meh....I was speaking in the context of the spirit of competition, however you are entirely correct the draw will do DCU :p

ProudDUB wrote:
    Conceding 4 goals over 2 games is a tad worrying. I know its only January & the conditions were terrible, 'n'all, but its not great if you're trying to make an impression.

It is a worry alright. I'd hopes for Curley it would be great if it worked out for him.

Didn't get to go last night , knackered my back yesterday morning. Going mad as I'm between Plunketts/ eoghan ruadh and bridgets this was a stroll for me. Much easier than wexford on Sunday!

The lads went and got some good HD photographs (allegedly) said they couldn't see much so turned it into a photography session.

Anyone know the situation with Sean George at BK. Is he still with them. Don't think he played in any of the club games I watched.

Stoner wrote: »
    ..........Anyone know the situation with Sean George at BK. Is he still with them. Don't think he played in any of the club games I watched.

He's over in 'merica Stoner

Sundays game is fixed for PP.

But no doubt, that will change 87 times 'twixt now & Sunday. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nice one of Paddy on his home ground there. I'm sure he'd like it.

Nice one of Paddy on his home ground there. I'm sure he'd like it.

By coincidence we're in there somewhere on the steps in the Paddy Andrews pic, might as well be wearing a balaclava for all you can make out :D

Great pics. There was a great turn out, considering the weather.

G'wan Dr Bryan Cullen, our new High Performance Manager.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/685210136042991616?lang=en

Now, now....no jokes about doing burpees in Coppers ! :p

Is that Martin Kennedys role he's taken up ?

Yes and no.

Martin Kennedy runs NADA. (Here is an interesting article on him and it. http://www.the42.ie/nada-martin-kennedy-dublin-1148694-Oct2013/ )

The Dubs were just another one of his clients. He works with other athletes and others sports. It looks like BC's new role is going to keep everything in house & he'll only be working for the Dubs.

Anyone get the football double DVD as a Christmas present?.

I've a number of these and to be honest they are a bit empty without the halftime analysis. I wonder why they don't show it.

Even the old VHS videos like Dublin and Kerry's golden years have some commentary.

These DVDs are not in HD and have nothing but text intros.

Teams for today. Anyone find it a bit odd that there's only 7 subs on the Dubs team?

CYW2-XVWEAAbmxH.jpg:large

Teams for today. Anyone find it a bit odd that there's only 7 subs on the Dubs team?
    No, exact same team as Thursday.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    No, exact same team as Thursday.

Seems like a very small number though. Would it not be worth even throwing in a couple of younger guys to give them a bit of match day experience?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I honestly don't see the point of playing 34 yr old Dennis Bastick in games like today, or even the likes of Cooper, Rock, McMahon etc etc. Give the young bucks & the Vincent's lads, a chance to make an impression in a must win game situation & let's see what they can do. That being said, a lot of the younger lads that would realistically expect to be on the panel, have college commitments.

What state is the pitch in? Is there a decent crowd? Am home sick. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The pitch was in good nick. The grass was long over on the terrace side. Good win. Few fresh faces played. Funny, that on a day that Dublin do actually play at home, there are no complaints here. Give it 6 months. Not much will be said about us playing Longford in Pearse Park next Sunday either, by those that were screaming for it last summer. Tis early in the season, but it is slowly getting going. Blue skies and sunshine in Parnell Park today. We do well to get that in the summer. :)

I think we saw the same comment last year. I'd say he's determined not to miss out on a place as he did in 2014, McMahon the same.
    I think the Vincents lads are being given a good run at it, Carthy was decent today but not very impressed with the others. What's the story with Gavin Burke?.

We went very soft in the middle when McCarthy went off. I know bastic went off then too but I don't think he had a goodd day either.

Scully, Andrews, Small and Costello were good again as was rock. Deegan did well when he came on didn't score but was relaxed and creative.

For the opposition McHugh and Carthy were quiet enough, Byrne got stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Sounds like Suthciffe had stormer for DCU who came close to beating Galway. Shame he is not with Dublin.

Seems like a very small number though. Would it not be worth even throwing in a couple of younger guys to give them a bit of match day experience?
    Was actually just remarking on the way home about how there's not really any new guys coming through.

Enjoyable game. I thought DCU played very well and if they had converted those wides at the start it might have been a different outcome.

Andrews and Costello played very well i thought. Pitched looked very heavy on the terrace side. Cooper had that bite to him that you like to see any time but great this early in the year.

Can't help but feel Brady's time to shine might have come and gone. He looked fairly lost and winded out there, not like January last year.

Not a bad game considering the water that fell here Saturday night- you can see why DCU are entitled to favoritism in the Sigerson, strong and well drilled they're probably that bit further along in their fitness schedule and it showed early on yesterday. It's difficult to relate what we see 3rd week of January into what might transpire even early stages of the league.

I was only thinking myself of (my own) gushing praise for O'Conghaile last year which really didn't amount to much after the first few rounds of the league. In the same vein - I thought O'Callaghan for only a year out of minor showed enough early promise to say that he has the ability to play at a good level into senior football - I'd imagine he'll take up his learning with the U21's this year and who knows after that ... then again there's the small ball game which may detract from his football development.

From a senior set up perspective I suppose the one pressing requirement is Rorys number 3 jersey - I have a feeling that John Small could make a serious play for it. Apart from being a damn fine footballers there was evidence yesterday that he's prepared for that little extra bit of ruggedness required in the role - the experiment tho would want to start sooner rather than later or we could end up with another Sean Murray problem

DoctaDee wrote:
    the experiment tho would want to start sooner rather than later or we could end up with another Sean Murray problem
    Interesting call with Small, missing Rory is a killer, I don't really remember Murray at number three that much am I going mad I know it's his club position and he was around for a while. I remember him at midfield while we tried Cooper at 3, that was a disaster IMO.
    You may laugh and we might miss him too much out the field but I think MDMA could give the position a go. Hes very strong on the ball and great in the air and our best player to break a tackle. For example i think he'd do well on Murphy, Donaghy and AOS at FF, better than most. A FF won't follow McMahon up the field again anyway, that ship has sailed.

That said Small looks at home with the seasoned lads around him, I was glad he was there if O'Sullivan missed the final last year. I see Small as a halfback, but I've seen him belt the ball away from much taller men at club level all the same.

I'd continue a search for another midfielder. I think we saw a glimpse of a defensive roll for MDMA in the last two championship games last year.

How did Deano get on yesterday? That's the other 60 stone gorilla sitting in the corner. I saw he nabbed 6 pts, 3 from play and 3 from frees, but the scoreline stats don't tell the full story. There'll be some pressure on him to perform this year, what with Mannion, O'Gara, Kev Mc, Costello, McHugh and now O'Callaghan all breathing down his neck.

I wouldn't be moving MDMA anywhere. He's coming off a very poor year and he's likely to miss most of the league with as he is away off with 'Boden. When he comes back, I'd want to get him settled back into what he knows best & not start his 2016 off in a brand new position. That's asking for trouble imo, even though he has shown himself to be well capable of dropping back and giving the half backs a dig out during games.

• Advertisement

Interesting call with Small, missing Rory is a killer, I don't really remember Murray at number three that much am I going mad I know it's his club position and he was around for a while. I remember him at midfield while we tried Cooper at 3, that was a disaster IMO.
    I'd continue a search for another midfielder. I think we saw a glimpse of a defensive roll for MDMA in the last two championship games last year.

Murray definitely started the early 2011 league campaign at FB. I remember thinking he was quite effective when the play was in front of him, but as soon as he was faced with a mobile forward, his positioning was decidedly poor and his achilles heel was the attacker spinning on his outside and beating him along the end line.

With regards midfield I wonder if those that have seen more of him than I have, would have an opinion on Fentons club mate Paddy O'Higgins ? I don't know how he's progressed since the minor setup, but he was a powerful player back then - I just felt that his tank emptied quickly in most of the games I did see him play, but surely Fentons success has sown a seed with Paddy .. that if he can then so can I ...

I've a feeling that Dean will find it hard to get a champo starting berth this season, in saying that I don't think he'll be fighting the likes of McHugh for it (I was disappointed with him yesterday). I'd have to say that Costello is making the right noises that he's learning the trade - the year out of the set up last year may prove to be a blessing, because as supporters I think we're all too quick wanting to fast track the successful 21's into the senior team, it worked with Jack Mc and to a lesser extent with Mannion and Kilkenny.

EOG back to his best will be my one great hope for the forwards this year, I can also see da brudder Killian making big strides. Another lad I particularly like watching is Michael Deegan he seems to have the great knack of stitching play together with incisive passing and movement, I see comparisons with Alan B in some of his play, I can't for the life of me figure why the Royals let him go :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement