Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's funny, that lull since September has been totally annihilated once they started talking about Kerry on the Last Word. The venom is back!

COYBIB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Jim picks a strong 15 - not too sure about the positions tho

acbe2383ac92db948cf26325e27df031.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's our starting line up? For the first round of the league? I know I said I was expecting a strong team to be named, but Jayzus?

Would have preferred a bit more experimentation, especially up front?

That's our starting line up? For the first round of the league? I know I said I was expecting a strong team to be named, but Jayzus? :eek:

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's our starting line up? For the first round of the league? I know I said I was expecting a strong team to be named, but Jayzus? :eek:

Delighted with the reintroduction of Mannion. I'd imagine David Byrne will do a switcheroo with Mick Fitz, would be very suprised if Davy Byrne remains in the HB line, more likely he'll push into the HF line with Brady dropping deeper, his position will be determined I think off COS remaining/moving from mid.

I would've liked to have seen Reddin in the HF line - he's so close at times to being really good but falters more on what he doesn't do than what he does if that makes sense ?

From what I've seen there's a strong case to be made for Costello getting some decent time, I would've liked his mobility either playing off the inside 2 or being 1 of the 2. Paddy Andrews will roam so the movement is likely to come from Mannion and Rock - I'm not convinced that Rock can do that

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Looking to get tickets for tomorrow and all that's showing in tickets.ie is Hill 16. Would the whole lower tier be sold or will I get tickets on the gate?

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    Looking to get tickets for tomorrow and all that's showing in tickets.ie is Hill 16. Would the whole lower tier be sold or will I get tickets on the gate?

Have another look .. I did a search 2 mins ago
    5fb7396ba296172d0884ca074016fe2e.png
    f8d78661502010741adb02889769c2c2.png

There's plenty there

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Have another look .. I did a search 2 mins ago
    5fb7396ba296172d0884ca074016fe2e.png
    f8d78661502010741adb02889769c2c2.png

There's plenty there

Ya, went on again as soon as I'd posted and hogan came up, typical. Cheers though!

No problem .. enjoy the game

• Advertisement

C'est froid dans HQ!

Good win over the Strawberries for the Walsh Cup!

David Treacy wins MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Another brilliant night too be a Dub,under the lights at Croke Park. Fantastic to see Ger and the lads dispose of Wexford,after two back to back defeats in Walsh Cup finals.

As for the footballers,well it's always a joy too see them play in the flesh,watching them on the box,doesn't do them justice. There a special team and one we should cherish and be grateful to see play before our eyes in our lifetime.

It's always a delight to turn Kerry over and I look forward to doing so in August again,that's if there good enough too get there. On to the perennial bottlers now next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Most comprehensive 6 point win you'll ever see! Very impressive display for the end of January. The difference between the back 6's on both sides was frightening. If Kerry don't find lads who are physically able to match the Dublin forwards they won't beat us.

Walsh Cup final was a strange game. I thought Wexford shaded the first half in general play but they were 11-4 down. I've rarely seen such poor shooting. Dublin just played ok and won easily.

Love watching Niall McMorrow play. Real tidy player. McCaffrey and Dotsy were excellent too. Great speech from Liam Rushe at the end btw.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yeah the hurling was a quiet enough event tbh. It seemed over at half time

Football was good. McCarthy is in great form, Mannion was flying. Walsh was impressive at 14 and I was delighted to see and get a look at him and see what he's about . Fitzsimmons did a decent job on him, he's very strong but he's no Aiden O Shea in there, nor is he a Donnaghy, he got a lovely score at the start of the second half not a high ball, but one he ran out to the corner for. Andrew's goal was fantastic, something almost Vinnny Murphy about how he won the ball . We had some serious chances to get goals , John Smalls effort off the post in the second half would have been a lovely score.

I can see why M O'Shea isn't retiring.

Well, that was a good day at the office all around.

Wasn't able to get in in time to see the hurlers, but watching Kerry clap us on to the pitch as All Ireland winners, YET AGAIN, never gets old. Long may it continue. :D

Not going to make too much of the result. It is only January after all, but some of the early signs are very encouraging. Cian utterly majestic. He was my MOTM followed by Andrews. Delighted to see Mannion doing so well, he shows so well for the ball and is well capable of winning it on his own. Looked very, very sharp for so early in the year. His speed, mobility and over all creativity really shows up Dean Rock's contributions, from play. Harsh, I know, but there you have it. It gives me no pleasure to say it.

Our finishing for the goal chances was woeful though. Those tap in goals and toe to the ball jobbies that Berno makes look oh so easy, suddenly don't look so easy when he isn't around, eh? Fitzsimons & DB didn't do badly at all in the FB line, so don't feel quite as bleak as I did when I first heard about Rory's departure.

With the strong team picked tonight and Mayo's injury woes, we could be in good shape for another 2 pts next week. Another win after that and we should we well clear of relegation, which will give Gavin the breathing room to give some of the newer lads a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Great win tonight and fair play to the lads.

Anyone else finding Connolly increasingly frustrating? Slows the game down Everytime it comes to him. Obviously an unbelievably talented footballer, but would be so much better if he didn't look like he needed to prove it everytime the ball got to him

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, watching Dermo in the Spring, would try the patience of a saint. Moments of brilliance, marred by moments when he is just not tuned in & overly clever pass after overly clever pass, often goes astray. (Often not helped by how often he loses his footing on the pitch, which slows things down even more. What's up with that anyway? I've never seen a player slip as much as he does.) To give Dermo his due though, his ball into Paddy Andrew for the 1st goal, was an absolute beaut !

Btw, that's 3 black cards for Kerry players in our last 2 games with them. Wonder if that will get a mention at all, in tomorrows papers? Yeah, I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Watching Jack Mc is the exact opposite, cannot beat that injection of pace.

Shame the two off the post/bar didn't go in, would have been a better reflection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

C'est froid dans HQ!

Good win over the Strawberries for the Walsh Cup!

David Treacy wins MOTM.

Good win. Surprised Treacy got MOTM. Thought it took him a while to get going. He definitely plays better when he had the free taking responsibilities.

One note of caution is that if they'd been playing a better team than Wexford the short puck outs and short passing in the back lines in the first half would have led to 3/4 goals. Wexford were missing most of their better forwards and still opened Dublin up. Only for Kehoe having horror show on placed balls, and general poorness of their inside forwards, it might have been a different game.

Having said that, they dominated for long periods, responded decisively to Wexford goal and looked really dangerous when Schutte came on.

Looking forward to league very much.

ProudDUB wrote:
    Btw, that's 3 black cards for Kerry players in our last 2 games with them. Wonder if that will get a mention at all, in tomorrows papers? Yeah, I didn't think so.

The ones tonight were harmless enough though imo, they did a good bit of dragging down in the first half so they used up their get out if jail free cards. There would be no news with any of them. They simply paid the price for dragging guys down, it suited us and we got an advantage out of it.

I forgot to record the games, changed set top boxes and lost all my set up.

Its on again on Monday on setanta and I managed to record most of the Donegal Down game.

It was bloody cold tonight, i was regretting turning down the box tickets.

I wonder how much they'd make if they had a soup counter at a game on a night like this.

Stoner wrote: »
    The ones tonight were harmless enough though imo, they did a good bit of dragging down in the first half so they used up their get out if jail free cards. There would be no news with any of them. They simply paid the price for dragging guys down, it suited us and we got an advantage out of it.

I forgot to record the games, changed set top boxes and lost all my set up.

Its on again on Monday on setanta and I managed to record most of the Donegal Down game.

It was bloody cold tonight, i was regretting turning down the box tickets.

I wonder how much they'd make if they had a soup counter at a game on a night like this.

Ya feckin' eegit ya ! :eek:

The first black card tonight seemed soft enough on the telly. But I was over on the Hogan Stand side when it happened, so I couldn't really see how bad the offense was in real time. But soft or not, it was still a black card for dragging down/pulling down aka cynical play.

That is what will get no mention tomorrow - Kerry being perfectly as home utilizing The Dark Arts, whenever they feel the need to. The meeja will always gloss over that, in their haste to tar & feather the likes of Philly McMahon, or anoint some durty nordrinner as The Villain of The Week ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote:
    The first black card tonight seemed soft enough on the telly.
    I was beside it, we thought the same, although mannion was dragged down he wasn't going to do much with the ball as he'd been half knocked over before he got to it, there were more obvious ones on mannion before that, bit of rough justice I think, it was the linesman that flagged it

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Unfortunately, watching Dermo in the Spring, would try the patience of a saint. Moments of brilliance, marred by moments when he is just not tuned in & overly clever pass after overly clever pass, often goes astray. (Often not helped by how often he loses his footing on the pitch, which slows things down even more. What's up with that anyway? I've never seen a player slip as much as he does.) To give Dermo his due though, his ball into Paddy Andrew for the 1st goal, was an absolute beaut !

Btw, that's 3 black cards for Kerry players in our last 2 games with them. Wonder if that will get a mention at all, in tomorrows papers? Yeah, I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

And why should the media make a big deal about this? Are you trying to say that the (Dublin based) media are somehow biased to Kerry? You are joking arent you?

Stop trying to start a row over nothing. Ye have the best team in the land with a bigger population and financial support than the rest of your province and you get to play your home games in Croker.So accept your massive advantages and stop trying to make up issues to get upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

The first black card tonight seemed soft enough on the telly. But I was over on the Hogan Stand side when it happened, so I couldn't really see how bad the offense was in real time. But soft or not, it was still a black card for dragging down/pulling down aka cynical play.

That is what will get no mention tomorrow - Kerry being perfectly as home utilizing The Dark Arts, whenever they feel the need to. The meeja will always gloss over that, in their haste to tar & feather the likes of Philly McMahon, or anoint some durty nordrinner as The Villain of The Week ! :rolleyes:
    Philly was guilty of eye gouging his opponent, dont forget that but you will try and make mickey mouse stuff into an issue to be upset about.The mind boggles.

I am perfectly happy to see Philly McMahon face the consequences for his actions. What gets my goat, is that Kerry are paraded as paragons of virtue, symbols of all that is good in the game, they play the game as it should be played, blah, blah, blah....insert cliche of your own here.....>

But the truth is, they are just capable of just as much cynicism as every other team in the country, if they think it will get them a result. But as every Kerry person who as ever kicked a can down a street in Killarney, has a gig in the media, it rarely comes up.

Hope it didn't boggle yer wee brain too much reading that.

I am perfectly happy to see Philly McMahon face the consequences for his actions. What gets my goat, is that Kerry are paraded as paragons of virtue, symbols of all that is good in the game, they play the game as it should be played, blah, blah, blah....insert cliche of your own here.....>

But the truth is, they are just capable of just as much cynicism as every other team in the country, if they think it will get them a result. However, as every Kerry person who as ever kicked a can down the street in Killarney, has a gig in the media, it rarely comes up.

Hope it didn't boggle yer wee brain too much reading that.

I don't like bring negative about players but I don't think Reddin has shown enough in games over and above decent strength to get a place in the halfforward line you must see him a bit a club level do you Doc ?, same for Davy Byrne I've seen him play some great games for his club. David Byrne (Naomh Olaf)I think he might cut it. He seems to understand the corner back position, as it stands Fitzy would be my championship no 3. There's a bit of wobble to his play but he has the old Gerry Hargan last minute touch and flick that gets him out of jail. Cooper is a comfortable enough corner back along with Philly, David Byrne, Fitsimmons would be my back options Culligan could use the league well too.
    Daly and Small are doing a decent job showing that they can cover for O'Sullivan not at 6 for whatever reason.
    Darren Daly is progressing well imo, seems to come on and do a job, either he follows instructions very well or he's a very smart footballer maybe a bit of both, but he can come on and shut a man down.

It's midfielders we need , I think that we are looking harder at McCarthy and O'Sullivan being freed from defensive duties to move into midfield options rather than unearthing new midfielders. From what I've seen they are not really there maybe Shane Carthy (Naomh Nearing)

We lost our shape when kilkenny went off, Andrew's dropping back so deep didn't help, but someone with a natural awareness of the midfield position and filling it was missing tonight, looking forward to Fenton coming back.

O'Sullivan I thought was dropped back to cover the full back line after Fitzsimons got caught for two early one on ones? He was good after that and has the tenacity and speed to get out of most situations. However, the way Dublin defend no matter who is in what position is to ensure sufficient cover for breaking ball. How many times did we see Rory actually catch a ball over the likes of Star, O'Shea, Quigley or whoever he was on? Usually anticipated it or broke it down with someone to clean up. That broke Kerry in the final.

Interesting to see how far upfield McCarthy is positioning himself, and the way Dublin were holding onto possession often within their own half. They are clearly anticipating having to play ultra negative teams of varying quality later in the year and are testing game plans. Kerry will play the game, as will Mayo but they are going to run into the likes of Monaghan and Down in the league and will be looking to give them a spanking. To encourage the others, as the French say :-)

O'Sullivan I thought was dropped back to cover the full back line after Fitzsimons got caught for two early one on ones? He was good after that and has the tenacity and speed to get out of most situations. However, the way Dublin defend no matter who is in what position is to ensure sufficient cover for breaking ball. How many times did we see Rory actually catch a ball over the likes of Star, O'Shea, Quigley or whoever he was on? Usually anticipated it or broke it down with someone to clean up. That broke Kerry in the final.

Interesting to see how far upfield McCarthy is positioning himself, and the way Dublin were holding onto possession often within their own half. They are clearly anticipating having to play ultra negative teams of varying quality later in the year and are testing game plans. Kerry will play the game, as will Mayo but they are going to run into the likes of Monaghan and Down in the league and will be looking to give them a spanking. To encourage the others, as the French say :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

For me the biggest plus form Dublin's performance last night was the hunger they showed. There didn't seem to be any hangover from being All Ireland champions and every player looked switched on and focused.

We can debate the fitness levels, weak team selections etc at this stage of the league but there was no hiding the will to get stuck in and make runs from the Dublin players.

Pity Mayo got a bit of a trimming today. It might be the kick in the hole they need for next week. Wonder if Keegan will sit this one out. He shipped a bad knock to the head today. Mayo management getting a lot of flack for not taking him off when it happened.

Would love to see both Mannion and Costello playing together for this one. With Paddy in there, as the steady older hand on the tiller. Didn't they come up together in the U21's? I bet they could do some damage together. May not do Deano any harm to sit on the bench for while and watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Paulzx wrote: »
    For me the biggest plus form Dublin's performance last night was the hunger they showed. There didn't seem to be any hangover from being All Ireland champions and every player looked switched on and focused.

We can debate the fitness levels, weak team selections etc at this stage of the league but there was no hiding the will to get stuck in and make runs from the Dublin players.

Agreed.

Connolly is always a good barometer of that. Yeah he took too much out of the ball at times but he worked back diligently and tackled hard throughout the game.

I see that was the main thing that irked Fitzmaurice. He felt Kerry didn't want it as much as Dublin when they should have had ample reason to.

In 2012 that was certainly the case. I remember them very keen to settle the score then! They beat us handy in Croker first game of the league..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

jimd2 wrote: »
    And why should the media make a big deal about this? Are you trying to say that the (Dublin based) media are somehow biased to Kerry? You are joking arent you?

Stop trying to start a row over nothing. Ye have the best team in the land with a bigger population and financial support than the rest of your province and you get to play your home games in Croker.So accept your massive advantages and stop trying to make up issues to get upset about.

Round one of the league played & we already have to listen to this ****e, bitter much?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Pity Mayo got a bit of a trimming today. It might be the kick in the hole they need for next week. Wonder if Keegan will sit this one out. He shipped a bad knock to the head today. Mayo management getting a lot of flack for not taking him off when it happened.

Would love to see both Mannion and Costello playing together for this one. With Paddy in there, as the steady older hand on the tiller. Didn't they come up together in the U21's? I bet they could do some damage together. May not do Deano any harm to sit on the bench for while and watch it.

I don't think a kick in the hole is what Mayo need so much as less injuries (long and short term), less players being tied up with clubs and more time together in training to build up fitness levels and what have you. I don't expect Dublin to have too difficult a time in Castlebar next week, tbh. Mayo are not ready on a few fronts.

Dublin based media? Hilarious. :D

Just because the RTE, Newstalk, Independent Newspapers etc etc buildings are in Dublin, that means all their contributors and panelists are from Dublin, or played for Dublin? That's a good one alright. I'm sure it will come as news to the two Kerry players who have permanent spots on the day time & evening Sunday Game sofas, or all the former players who have national newspaper columns, that they have to start spouting pro Dublin propaganda now.

Anyway, I'm done talking about it. As expected, it got no mention anywhere. Donegal's black cards last night came up on Off The Ball earlier, but no mention of Kerrys. Qu'elle surprise. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dublin based media? Hilarious.

all living in rathmines or phibsborough

ProudDUB wrote:
    Just because the RTE, Newstalk,

Newstalk was always a Cork station based in Dublin imo they're in Cork now too.

jimd2 wrote: »

Population mention... check!

Financial support... check!

Home games in Croker... check!

Nearly a full house after the first League game of the season.

---

Kerry were abysmal last night. The "genius" of Fitzmaurice was to lamp balls up to Walsh and hope for the best.

When you see what they are can be capable of when Darran O'Sullivan is used as an outlet the mind boggles that he wasn't their "go to" last night considering they were completely bereft of ideas.

We let them back into the game towards the end of the first half and to be honest there was still no real worry that we were going to lose.

Six-points flattered them.
    EICVD wrote: »
    Round one of the league played & we already have to listen to this ****e, bitter much?:rolleyes:

Why are you surprised?

---

The talk of soft black cards on here is pretty disappointing. Mannion was manhandled every single time he got the ball. Dragged and pulled consistently when going through. I was disappointed that there wasn't more.

I was looking forward to the shouts from the media that Eddie would have ruined it as a spectacle if he had laid down the law.

I don't want "spectacle"; I want the best teams to be able to duke it out in fairness and we did not get that. The amount of times we were provoked and was truly shocking from those paragons of virtue. I'm delighted to see the back of them as they go on and fight it out with Monaghan and Down for their Division 1 status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Population mention... check!

Financial support... check!

Home games in Croker... check!

Nearly a full house after the first League game of the season.

---

Kerry were abysmal last night. The "genius" of Fitzmaurice was to lamp balls up to Walsh and hope for the best.

When you see what they are can be capable of when Darran O'Sullivan is used as an outlet the mind boggles that he wasn't their "go to" last night considering they were completely bereft of ideas.

We let them back into the game towards the end of the first half and to be honest there was still no real worry that we were going to lose.

Six-points flattered them.

Why are you surprised?

---

The talk of soft black cards on here is pretty disappointing. Mannion was manhandled every single time he got the ball. Dragged and pulled consistently when going through. I was disappointed that there wasn't more.

I was looking forward to the shouts from the media that Eddie would have ruined it as a spectacle if he had laid down the law.

I don't want "spectacle"; I want the best teams to be able to duke it out in fairness and we did not get that. The amount of times we were provoked and was truly shocking from those paragons of virtue. I'm delighted to see the back of them as they go on and fight it out with Monaghan and Down for their Division 1 status.

I seen opposition target forwards many a time but last night was the first time I seen a team targeting corner back. 2 Kerry players at separate stages in second half giving Jonny Cooper dig into ribs and roaring into his face.

Gael85 wrote:
    I seen opposition target forwards many a time but last night was the first time I seen a team targeting corner back. 2 Kerry players at separate stages in second half giving Jonny Cooper dig into ribs and roaring into his face.

Cooper always gets that, the mayo lads do it to him too. He gets subbed a lot a a result imo, he's seen as someone to wind up, he does his fair share too, but he is targeted alright. That's the name of the game these days, we do it to Donnaghy some guys are just open to it and everyone knows,
    Look at our half forward line Connolly gets the screw turned regularly, but Kilkenny is immune to it.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »

As Stoner said, Jonny gets hit with it regularly. But he managed to stand up to it last night well enough. Fair dues to him. Patience of a saint.

I know its impossible to expect them to all go out and play like robots, but I'd love to see Cooper be a little less wound up in games. The amount of frees he gives away (in the first Mayo semi final in particular) from charging into the tackle, hell for leather...is...well.... unfortunate, to put it mildly.

Like I said, they're not robots, but when you see Kilkenny or the Brogans or Flynner or Rory or Cian coming in for the rough stuff and there is zero reaction to it, it makes you wonder "what if..." when it comes to Cooper and Diarmuid. Dermo had been doing really well for the couple of years he was vice captain under Galvin. But unfortunately, he'll have an even bigger target on his back again next year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I was unusual to see Kerry punished for it.

Their standard tactic is to target half-backs and corner-backs moving the ball forward from defence. Conceding a free inside the other teams 65 is an effective way of slowing a team like Dublin down.

On Saturday, they just weren't as effective at it as before and made more desperate fouls closer to their own line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Great win and great to be back under the lights in croker.

Great to have Mannion back and he does look fresh, but over all looking at him I don't seem to understand so much praise heaped on him. The kerry #2 marking him was a young lad making his debut and was completely gassed the entire first half and most of the second, actually couldn't breath. I feel that could have been exploited better by Paul. Also he missed a clear cut chance in on goal, choked a little. But great to have him back in the set up.

Andrews making it all so simple looking, great to watch.

Other than the frees it was hard to see a high work rate with Rock, tackling tracking back. But as i said , at the end of the league he will be one of the top scorers which is hard to argue with.

We're on to Mayo!

Great win and great to be back under the lights in croker.

Great to have Mannion back and he does look fresh, but over all looking at him I don't seem to understand so much praise heaped on him. The kerry #2 marking him was a young lad making his debut and was completely gassed the entire first half and most of the second, actually couldn't breath. I feel that could have been exploited better by Paul. Also he missed a clear cut chance in on goal, choked a little. But great to have him back in the set up.

Andrews making it all so simple looking, great to watch.

Other than the frees it was hard to see a high work rate with Rock, tackling tracking back. But as i said , at the end of the league he will be one of the top scorers which is hard to argue with.

We're on to Mayo!

On Cooper - I thought there was an extra edge to his game ever since his return following the incident in Dorset Street

On Reddin - I've seen him a few times Stoner in SFC for Maurs. The thing I like about him particularly with the demands of the modern day wing forward is his work rate. We're spoiled with the likes of Flynn, DC & Kilkenny and to earmark anyone as an able replacement for those 3 would be churlish. But looking at the box to box type player, tracking movement and distribution he'd fit the bill probably in the manner that Donnchadh Walsh does with Kerry coupled with the fact that he poses a greater scoring threat than Walsh. In saying that I don't think we've seen his full capability in the blue jersey, whether we will was my original thoughts on him getting a starting place last Saturday - I put to you this way he's no less an option than Tomas Brady in my view.

On the game - Hugely encouraging start to the campaign. Mannion is the epitome of selfless working for others. In some respects I wish at times he'd be a bit more of a mé feiner, the chap's a class act and for 50 mins showed a dynamic that we didn't have last year in our set up play.

I don't want to labour on Rock - he misses too many goal chances, but I thought his 2nd half performance was very good - he's all too often making diagonal runs out to the sideline for possession, but the one instance when he broke straight, gathered turned and pointed with his left was utter class - more of the same please Deano.

Standout performances from Paddy, Johnny & COS again, and a little word of mention for David Byrne, the seeds are being sown for him to become an accomplished IC defender, much like Fitz he's developing the knack of getting a hand in at the right time.

That was a 10+ point game, but that has little relevance. Kerry were aimless in attack, which can be forgiven to a large degree when you consider the absence of Maher, Geaney(s), Gooch & JOD, their replacements with the exception of Darren O'Sullivan just weren't equipped to bring the inventiveness required - I did however see the potential of Walsh at FF, that little bit of quality supply from the absentees may make the difference. They do tho have big problems in defence and have had since this time last year. Griffin, Enright, Murphy & Young are good defenders in their own right - but not as a unit. Their blueprint for a decent defensive display has to be the 2014 AI - I wonder if Fitzmaurice would be prepared to tear up the football bible to deploy that system on a more regular basis.

Irrespective of the relevance of the competition, the players involved or the sytems deployed Dublin have had their number for the last few years now and Fitzmaurice knows that .. ta

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    On Cooper - I thought there was an extra edge to his game ever since his return following the incident in Dorset Street

Having been the victim of a similar incident years back, I know that it can be quite difficult to get back on track mentally, never mind the physical part which is not too bad if you are fit, so it is great to see Jonny seemingly back to his best.

He does get a lot of stick and you can be certain there will be tramps out there lining up to give him an earful. Leave the retribution to others would be my advice :-)

DoctaDee wrote:
    I don't want to labour on Rock - he misses too many goal chances, but I thought his 2nd half performance was very good - he's all too often making diagonal runs out to the sideline for possession, but the one instance when he broke straight, gathered turned and pointed with his left was utter class - more of the same please Deano.

Saw that, it had a touch of O'Gara to it.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Having been the victim of a similar incident years back, I know that it can be quite difficult to get back on track mentally, never mind the physical part which is not too bad if you are fit, so it is great to see Jonny seemingly back to his best.

He does get a lot of stick and you can be certain there will be tramps out there lining up to give him an earful. Leave the retribution to others would be my advice :-)

Yeah agree completely - I just got the impression last year that he needed to show at times that he was a "hard man" and it detracted somewhat from his game. I think we've all being victims of crime to varying degrees but to have his played out in public to sometimes unsympathetic ears is all the harder.
    Stoner wrote: »
    Saw that, it had a touch of O'Gara to it.

Indeed, it's one of the few occasions I've actually seen his merit as an all round forward - he had something similar last year in Parnell Park pulling the ball out of the sky and tapping it over, happens all to rarely - I'd never question his workrate or effort tho

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1103811/

they seem to be alright in this photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

I know its impossible to expect them to all go out and play like robots, but I'd love to see Cooper be a little less wound up in games. The amount of frees he gives away (in the first Mayo semi final in particular) from charging into the tackle, hell for leather...is...well.... unfortunate, to put it mildly.

Like I said, they're not robots, but when you see Kilkenny or the Brogans or Flynner or Rory or Cian coming in for the rough stuff and there is zero reaction to it, it makes you wonder "what if..." when it comes to Cooper and Diarmuid. Dermo had been doing really well for the couple of years he was vice captain under Galvin. But unfortunately, he'll have an even bigger target on his back again next year. :(

To be fair to Connolly that Donaghy lookalike who came on did give him an off the ball kick on the ankle & he didn't react at all, was a fairly tame 'kick' but he done it all the same. I presume Dermos 'best mate' may sit out Saturday's game after the concussion incident yesterday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement