Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah, it's the 1st round of the league. I don't think Kerry are all that bothered about winding anyone up. They've enough of their own stuff going on, to be concerned about. But from June onwards, he'll be a marked man. I wouldn't put it past some of our Leinster compatriots to try playing a wee bit of silly buggers with him & not just the big guns in August and September.

Anyone hear Eamon McGee on the radio on Sunday? (Or maybe it was the brother. I get them mixed up. :o ) Anyway, they both got black cards on Saturday night. One of them was for mouthing off to an opponent. The umpire heard it, reported it to the ref and he got the card for "provocative' behaviour.

Be interesting to see if any ref has the balls to do that in the summer, to any big name players who is interested in "having a bit of a chat," as Daragh O'Se likes to call it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

BKWDR wrote: »
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1103811/

they seem to be alright in this photo

Paddy showing his " lack of class" as they call it over on the Kerry board.

They'd be the experts on "lack of class," I suppose. Paudi was dead right ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The two of them walked off together having the crack! I doubt that Andrews was slagging him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It was only one comment all the same, on the back of a loss, more or less withdrawn. But genuinely Andrews walking around shaking hands is the very last clip on the highlights shown on TG4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Didn't see the incident at the time tbh, watched League Sunday on RTE and when they returned to the studio for analysis after the game the screen in the background was showing the after game scenes. Kealy & Paddy can be seen shaking hands, the Paddy pushes him at the side of the shoulder .. looked like one of those playful "gerrawayouttadat" reactions......

The underage football was back in full flow last weekend and this week too, we've a 3.00 throw in on Saturday which all but rules me out of Castlebar .. in fairness I'd decided when the fixtures were released that I'd give it a miss so it's an easy call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Andrews and Kealy actually struck me at the time I saw it - thought it was on big screen but might have been on TV highlights - as was thinking they must have known each other well from college or something as they were having a good old chat and a laugh.

People are far too quick to seize on things they think they see to attack players or teams they don't like. Donaghy puts himself about in games and I'd imagine is total nightmare to be near on the pitch, but at end of final he went out of his way to shake hands with a good few Dublin players.

Stoner wrote: »
    It was only one comment all the same, on the back of a loss, more or less withdrawn. But genuinely Andrews walking around shaking hands is the very last clip on the highlights shown on TG4.

I read back on more after I posted, and saw that.

In fairness though, they do have a habit of usually seeing no evil and hearing no evil when it comes to their players.
    Ó Beaglaoich on Mannion, case-in-point.

Perhaps this consistent humbling by the Dubs is having an effect. :)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Donaghy puts himself about in games and I'd imagine is total nightmare to be near on the pitch, but at end of final he went out of his way to shake hands with a good few Dublin players.

As classless as I have always considered Mr Donaghy and I would state that I never ever liked him and he winds me up no end (2011, 2014), he was the epitome of class after the final last year and in fact you could say that about every player and Kerryperson I encountered since.

As well as that, his handling of the "gouging" incident on Radio 1 on the Monday after the AIF was "top-class".

That being send my dislike of the fupper has been reset to zero for 2016. :)

By all accounts Bryan Cullens speech with the famous invite to Coppers was taken up by a good few of the Kerry lads in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

CaetJoHWAAAIglI.jpg:large

Unchanged side.

• Advertisement

Very disappointed in that line up tbh. What on earth is the point of giving so much game time to regulars, this early in the year? Now is the time to be blooding newer lads. I also see merit in giving some of the Vincents lads a go, who missed out on a chance 2 years running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I can understand the line up, win your tough away games.

Another loss for Mayo against Dublin, keep the Mayo heads down and their confidence low against us. Another dent!

I can understand the line up, win your tough away games.

Another loss for Mayo against Dublin, keep the Mayo heads down and their confidence low against us. Another dent!

I'd heard whispers (and some may remember me mentioning the performance of Gerry Seaver in Inter B final last year) that he was in line for a call on foot of his display in Blue Stars game last Sunday, not to be by the looks of it. But like PD I'd be disappointed we don't have a fresher faced team this weekend

We might see a couple of changes to that team come throw in. Two weeks running with no dramatic late changes is inconceivable.:D O Conghaile for Bastick and i'd be happy with the team tbh.

Yeah, I can see Slattsy's logic there. If we win this game, we probably only need one more win to guarantee not getting relegated. Another win & it's looking good to make the playoffs. As our 2 toughest games will be behind us, we'd be in good shape for that. In theory, that gives us wiggle room to relax a bit & experiment more in the five games after the 3 week break.

But I don't think that is what Gavin is going to do. He hasn't in previous campaigns. The further we go into the later rounds, the stronger his teams tend to get, as more & more of the heavy hitters (Berno, MDMA, Flynn, etc etc) start to return. Then there are the lads returning from injury lay offs (Fenton, Kev Mc, O'Gara) who will need game time too. So given all that, I can't really see a new lad forcing his way into games in March/April, if he isn't already in the frame now.

C'mere to me Docta (and you too Stoner, if you're reading this) what is the jackanory with Boards these days? Are ye still working on fixing it, or are ye done & this is how its always going to be? It's been a couple of week since the DOS thingamagiggy, but the double posts and the delay in posts appearing, is still a major pain in d'aul liathroidi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I read all your posts PD,

I've been getting double posts for two years now. They are working away on the platform alright. There will end up being some more steps in the background when posting to protect against going down again. Not sure when it will be all ironed out

I'd like to see more fresh faces too. It's Scullys time, and McHugh give him a run.

I didn't understand it last year and I don't understand it now, but why risk Bastic? Essentially we only have three midfielders.

Thanks for the update. It's not that big of a big deal here, as it's not that busy a forum. But the delay in posting, in some of the really fast moving threads (like the Six Nations ones, when the games are actually on) doesn't really make it worth your while to post at all. Glad its being worked on. Am sure it's been no picnic for ye all.

I don't get Bastick playing at this time of year at all. One injury, suspension, or red or black card for him, Fenton or MDMA and we are Donald Ducked at midfield. Who the heck else is there, that is game tried and tested? Now it the time to be getting someone that experience, not just for this year, but for next year when (we presume) Bastick will be gone. I know Cian can slot in there if need be, but he is so important where he is, we don't need to be moving him anywhere, unless its a dire emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I'd heard whispers (and some may remember me mentioning the performance of Gerry Seaver in Inter B final last year) that he was in line for a call on foot of his display in Blue Stars game last Sunday, not to be by the looks of it. But like PD I'd be disappointed we don't have a fresher faced team this weekend

Would love to see Seaver get a chance at wing forward. Would have him ahead of Tomas Brady

• Advertisement

The weather in Castlebar is something rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Poor enough game so far. Very soft black card at the start as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Should have been red for Boyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Both teams seem too content to out muscle each other rather than create any meaningful chances. Very dirty game.

Dublin forwards are losing it far too easy. They'll have to adapt in the second half.

Mayo have savage intensity about them for early February.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Should have been red for Boyle.

Only listening to local radio online but they have said Connelly has repeatedly hit people with cynical late tackles and is getting close to been sent to the line....Boyle and the rest need to leave it to the ref to sort him out.

Anybody have a tv link ??

• Advertisement

Only listening to local radio but they have said Connelly has repeatedly hit people with cynical late tackles and is likely to getting close to been sent off soon....

No more than anyone else on the pitch. Its 'keenly contested' from both sides tbf.

But i take the point that its games like this that lads who find it hard to control themselves get sent off.

Only listening to local radio but they have said Connelly has repeatedly hit people with cynical late tackles and is getting close to been sent to the line....

Well watching it on the box and that is just a nonsense. Connolly has been been quiet enough and hasn't been involved in an incident yet. Boyle was swinging digs and throw the head in like a rabid dog. Very lucky to be on the pitch.

JRant wrote: »
    Well watching it on the box and that is just a nonsense. Connolly has been been quiet enough and hasn't been involved in an incident yet. Boyle was swinging digs and throw the head in like a rabid dog. Very lucky to be on the pitch.

What channel is it on ?? do you have a link ?

Im sure the local mayo radio said that haha
    Boyle only one came close to a red.

Dire game. Dont think being against the wind will make us play differently, considering we tried to walk it over the bar anyway.

Dire game. Dont think being against the wind will make us play differently, considering we tried to walk it over the bar anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

its on setanta Ireland

What channel is it on ?? do you have a link ?

Watching on Setanta Ireland.

The pitch is a quagmire and isn't helping either team.
    Great defense from Mayo in that half, helped by some sloppy shooting from ourselves.

Ai, should be 5/6 up.

Ai, should be 5/6 up.

Yeah, it's going to be a big ask from here with that wind helping Mayo.

Referee is shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Referee is shíte.

Dublin could well be up by about 3 points if he had allowed play to develop. Consistent yes but absolutely dreadful stuff when they've been in key areas.

Love James Horan commentating. Always fair and honest.

Hmmm, not sure about that second black card. Looked a little harsh on Cooper, Boyle ran straight at him.

Handy enough tbh. Should have been a lot more

• Advertisement

Colm Boyle at the centre of it again.

Boyle again, always involved. Dirt.

Great win and a dominant second half performance.

McCarthy was outstanding in that second half, seemed to be everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dublin can't play outside croke park? :) Delighted with that against those conditions and style of play. Will stand to Dublin at the business end of the championship. More importantly no psychological advantage for Mayo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Only took 40 minutes to get out of 1st gear.

Really happy with that. Met fire with fire and came out on top.

Listening to Jim's post match interview and he didn't seem happy with the 2 blacks and 1 red card.

Yeah lots of character shown to dig out the win. James Mc has had a great start to the year - early days yet but it looks like Rochford is overhauling their defensive structure withdrawing bodies deep, will be interesting to see if he can merge that with attacking flair

Yeah lots of character shown to dig out the win. James Mc has had a great start to the year - early days yet but it looks like Rochford is overhauling their defensive structure withdrawing bodies deep, will be interesting to see if he can merge that with attacking flair

The big problem with Mayo and most other low population counties is their squad depth. Even if they do well and do manage to adapt to a more defensive structure they only have to lose a couple of players through injury or black cards and they would not be able to compete with Dublin. The replacements are simply not there or good enough. They have massively overachieved over the past several years by getting as far as they did unfortunately its close to the end for many with lower quality replacements to come in.

Its hard to see past Dublin year after year with the squad depth, resources and professionalism they now have. If they get a black card they can bring on a replacement just as good, black cards don't hurt Dublin. The only way Dublin will lose any All Irelands over the next several years is through over confidence. Hopefully Cork with their population and resources can emerge to provide competition in years to come, otherwise we could be looking at a very boring Kilkenny type of scenario for the next decade.

• Advertisement

Very early days for Rochford. I think the attack will improve once the ground firms up. It's difficult to implement the extra men at the back launching quick counter-attacking football in such heavy conditions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement