Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Its hard to see past Dublin year after year with the squad depth and resources and professionalism they now have. If they get a black card they can bring on a replacement just as good. The only way Dublin will lose any All Irelands over the next several years is through over confidence. Hopefully Cork with their population and resources can emerge to provide competition in years to come, otherwise we could be looking at a very boring Kilkenny type of scenario.

I really hate the way this generation of Dublin players are just casually written off as the logical eventuality of "population" and "resources".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

The big problem with Mayo and most other low population counties is their squad depth. Even if they do well and do manage to adapt to a more defensive structure they only have to lose a couple of players through injury or black cards and they would not be able to compete with Dublin. The replacements are simply not there or good enough. They have massively overachieved over the past several years by getting as far as they did unfortunately its close to the end for many with lower quality replacements to come in.

Its hard to see past Dublin year after year with the squad depth, resources and professionalism they now have. If they get a black card they can bring on a replacement just as good, black cards don't hurt Dublin. The only way Dublin will lose any All Irelands over the next several years is through over confidence. Hopefully Cork with their population and resources can emerge to provide competition in years to come, otherwise we could be looking at a very boring Kilkenny type of scenario for the next decade.

not this shi te again, Dublin have 3 AI in the last 22 odd years and you'd swear they walked the 3 most recent finals by 5 pts +. Maybe if Mayo weren't so pro-defence tonight and tried to play football they could have done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The big problem with Mayo and most other low population counties is their squad depth. Even if they do well and do manage to adapt to a more defensive structure they only have to lose a couple of players through injury or black cards and they would not be able to compete with Dublin. The replacements are simply not there or good enough. They have massively overachieved over the past several years by getting as far as they did unfortunately its close to the end for many with lower quality replacements to come in.

Its hard to see past Dublin year after year with the squad depth, resources and professionalism they now have. If they get a black card they can bring on a replacement just as good, black cards don't hurt Dublin. The only way Dublin will lose any All Irelands over the next several years is through over confidence. Hopefully Cork with their population and resources can emerge to provide competition in years to come, otherwise we could be looking at a very boring Kilkenny type of scenario for the next decade.
    Whole championship structure needs to be changed. A severe drop in attendance will be the only thing that gets the GAAs hierarchy moving. Otherwise it will be more of the same as you say. People will get bored. There needs to be a more equitable exciting system. Also funding should be pooled and more given to the small counties Louth and Leitrim etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

not this shi te again, Dublin have 3 AI in the last 22 odd years and you'd swear they walked the 3 most recent finals by 5 pts +. Maybe if Mayo weren't so pro-defence tonight and tried to play football they could have done better.

Ah mayo fellas have enough heartache go easy on them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

corny wrote: »
    I really hate the way this generation of Dublin players are just casually written off as the logical eventuality of "population" and "resources".
    It is the logical conclusion. Dublin are the premier league and they are playing against championship teams. They only lose when they take the others for granted.

• Advertisement

Yes Dublin structures only caught up several years ago to what some of the more successful teams were doing. They have lost very few games since and will lose very few in the near future.

Most Mayo people thought we would have been beaten by 20 points tonight and so they played defensively, luckily Dublin players and management took it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

When was the last time they cut the grass in McHale Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Slattsy wrote: »
    When was the last time they cut the grass in McHale Park?

If they cut the grass any tighter the pitch would have been completely destroyed from cutting up.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    If they cut the grass any tighter the pitch would have been completely destroyed from cutting up.

Yeah true, just watching it again and some serious tufts out there!

Yeah true, just watching it again and some serious tufts out there!

It's going to be a real nightmare for the hurlers this year. I'd say a lot of pitches will be like that.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    It's going to be a real nightmare for the hurlers this year. I'd say a lot of pitches will be like that.

Heavy on the legs but at least they dont have to hop the ball!!

Heavy on the legs but at least they dont have to hop the ball!!

Should make it interesting trying to lift the ball at the very least :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayo were very good defensively, did a great job keeping Andrews and Mannion quiet.

Very tight game both teams struggled to score with the wind, don't think there was a goal chance in the game , thought it was a hard game to ref, but Boyle should have went earlier he was acting the pup and in the refs ear for the whole game .
    Vaughan and Brady were at it for the whole game .
    Higgins did well when he came on,

McCarthy playing the football of his life.
    Showing great maturity and not getting hot headed . At one stage in the first half he held Boyle with one hand when things were kicking off.

The Mayo backs were very good at pressuring the Dublin forwards, they'll be hard to score against in the championship.

Mayo were vastly improved over last week. They'll be a different Kettle of fish by the time the championship kicks off.

They need to figure out how and where to play AOS , would not like another game of is it or isn't it barging again. Thought Fitz was solid enough at 3 again, he's had two good tests now and he's doing well.

Yes Dublin structures only caught up several years ago to what some of the more successful teams were doing. They have lost very few games since and will lose very few in the near future.

Not really, lots of talk from people who don't really know what structures were in place in Dublin. At the end of the Day Dublin have won many All Irelands over the years, only Kerry have more. The structures in Dublin have been right then wrong and right then wrong many times. Just like mayo had the right structure in 50 and 51, Dublin won finals since then and all led the way in the mid 70's fell away for the mid to late 80s were good from 1991 to 1995 then fell away again for years.

I guarantee you there were Mayomaffia types in 1977 saying pretty much what you are saying now.

All that said the finances should be altered, but not recognizing that this is a special bunch of players available to us at the moment is not really a fair reflection of the situation.

I'm sure that Kerry under 21 team will be a force to deal with soon. We have fallen back at u18 and u21 many of this team are lads from and older successful u21 team mixed with recent u18 and u21 teams, the next bunch are not as good, there's no mannions or Costello's or midfielders coming though. That must be obvious now? We are not introducing any real new blood again this year, nothing like two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It was good game to watch as players coped well with the conditions. Will have been worth weeks of training to both teams I would say.

A word of caution on Mayo going defensive. It may have been a reaction to hiding by Cork and wishing avoid similar, but I don't think it suits them. Over past few years ultra defensive teams (Derry, Down, Monaghan) have given Dublin close games in league but have been destroyed in the Summer - by other teams not Dublin - as you won't get away with what you do on a slow pitch in February when the sun is out and the ground is fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't really see the ultra defensive strategy being a long-term thing. I think it was just the best approach to take at present given the injuries, players unavailable, etc. The squad in its current state just wasn't going to be able to compete in a shoot-out and I think management knew that and had to come up with a way of dealing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I hear you. Typical chip on the shoulder mentality. There wasn't much talk about population advantages from 1985 through till the emergence of the recent golden generation.
    Kilkenny certainly don't have any population advantge and they have dominated hurling for a long time now in an amazing fashion.

eire4 wrote: »
    Typical chip on the shoulder mentality..........There wasn't much talk about population advantages from 1985 through till the emergence of the recent golden generation.

You can only state in those years they massively underperformed and underachieved. There is almost 1.3 million people in Dublin with a much younger population ratio than anywhere else, thats ten times most other counties. If they don't win an All Ireland year after year its because they have underachieved and haven't made the most of what they have available.

To use the soccer analogy its like the Irish, Welsh or Scottish soccer team trying to compete with the English team.

Dublin might get caught out by the odd team with massive hunger or a once in a generation group of players from another county but in the most they should be top most years. No Excuses!!.

Its not something to feel guilty or attack posters about as there is nothing Dublin can do about it, but it is a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭b1964

You can only state in those years they massively underperformed and underachieved. There is almost 1.3 million people in Dublin with a much younger population ratio than anywhere else, thats ten times most other counties. If they don't win an All Ireland year after year its because they have underachieved and haven't made the most of what they have available.

To use the soccer analogy its like the Irish, Welsh or Scottish soccer team trying to compete with the English team.

Dublin might get caught out by the odd team with massive hunger or a once in a generation group of players from another county but in the most they should be top most years. No Excuses!!.

Its not something to feel guilty or attack posters about as there is nothing Dublin can do about it, but it is a reality.

The reality is your so fascinated,with Dublin you post more in the Dublin forum, than the Mayo forum,wind up merchant methinks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wind up merchant 100%. If Mayo's population disadvantage is so bad, how come they made it to 2 AI finals this decade & all of the semi finals? The only feckin' population problem they have, involves their marquee forwards...or lack thereof !

• Advertisement

Nice to hear Tomas O' Shea say this evening he thought this generation are probably our best ever and that he loves watching them play. Whelan and Lyster gave him stick that he was blowing smoke up our arses but he wasn't.

ROTFLMAO !!!!

He does in his hole love watching us play.... lol !!!!

Corny, what is WRONG with you ??? :p

ProudDUB wrote: »
    ROTFLMAO !!!!

He does in his hole love watching us play.... lol !!!!

Corny, what is WRONG with you ??? :p

Ha ha. Why do say that? I'm sure he's not overly enamoured with us when we beat Kerry but its hardly far fetched to say Dublin play an attractive brand of football that purists might appreciate.

He's hardly threatened by us either with 5 All Ireland medals and 5 All stars in his arse pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dubs win!!!
    Then the evil empire get beaten by the Rossies.
    And the Broncos win... Can't bate that for a Sunday!!!

You could also note that in our last qualifying soccer games , five Dublin soccer players started, one scot and two Englishmen. So out of 8 Irishmen 5 were from Dublin.

It's a fair point, I've nothing against mayo at all but when was the last time a Mayo man lined out for Ireland in soccer? I won't do the same for rugby because I know so little about it.

This was always the case though, once in the 70's when Dublin were all Ireland champions they fielded 11 Dublin players in the international soccer team. So that's not new

Huge parts of Dublin don't play any GAA.

My own area in north city centre more or less lost its club, joined up with a team 5KM up the road and the school has no hurling and little football in it anymore. The pitch we played on is gone too, sold for development.

If you don't believe me Mayomaffia I'll pm you more details.

The big advancement has been in hurling teams imo, the teams on the southside have grown significantly.

Also looking at our football teams. Largely its the same old clubs producing the players that were around years ago, there's four or five lads with fathers who won all Ireland's on the team. Rock, Brogan, McCaffery, McCarthy. Same old established clubs, same old schools. That's tradition. Every manager for Dublin I remember that won All Ireland's had one as a player and that's five different managers. I think four of the five were from Vincent's.

These new big areas do not have a tradition of GAA in them, many have no teams. No history of the game, no heros, that is essentially what the game was built on, your school, parish and area, many of the newer areas in Dublin have no identity.

There is an estate near me, 2200 housing units, no club, no pitch, Zero representation with the nearest clubs.

When we won the all Ireland in 1995 I think Dave Foran was on the squad, I could be wrong but I think he was the only player from tallaght on the team, that area at the time had more people in it than north side Dublin. That would be teams like Na Fianna, Vincent's, Ballymun Kickhams etc, Parnell's they are the same old clubs now. The tallaght lads had Carruth as a hero followed by our best soccer players of a generation Dunne, Keane, Duff.

There has been huge growth and some new lads coming in from the traditional south side clubs too. Dublin have a decent hurling team now.

We have advantages but saying we have 1.3 in the same way mayo have 100k is way off the mark. We have more people playing the game alright, we also have more country people and foreign people here too.
    Where I grew up in Dublin in the 1980s
    every direct neighbour I had was from the country, kildare, Kerry, Cork Letrim.

Throw in Cork , Meath, Cavan, Mayo Monaghan and that what I can remember from an estate with 50 houses, off hand that I knew of.

I spent lots of time in the West of Ireland growing up, I was lucky. Football was the only game in town and if you weren't from the area you were a blow in.

Counties like Meath and kildare get stick about population too, but a lot of the increase is into new areas with no tradition of GAA, it will take years for those counties to start to get players from these areas.

The finances should be looked at though.

But take Ballymun Kickhams as an example. A club set up by country men that wanted to play football.

It nearly went under a few years ago, nothing happening. Then some if the older lads from the area, Paddy Christie etc got the show back on the road. They have three starters on the team now. Had there been no tradition of the GAA there the club might have died.
    Look back at the teams from the 1970s it's about 80% the same clubs and schools being represented.

We are lucky with our manager now too.
    In 2013 Dublin beat Mayo by 1 point. Higgins the man mentioned as your most inspirational player was left marking an injured Dublin player, our full back thought it was still 2011 , our corner back had lumps knocked off him. Mayo's line and management messed up that day. They've messed up since against Kerry and in 2012 was there for them too, nothing to do with Dublin.
    As you know I'm a big fan of the Mayo team, had you won in 2013 we wouldn't be posting here now, that's how close it is. In 2012 Donegal beat Mayo, Mayo have beaten them well twice since, the chances were there. IMO the leadership just didn't get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why are truly great forwards only found in marquees?

Why do AI winners always carry their medals in their arse pocket?

Mysteries of GAA cliches

Good post Stoner.

Minor correction Dave Foran as far as I recall was actually from Greenhills. He, Paul Bealin (Kevins) and Ciaran Walsh (St. Annes) all lived within about 100 yards of one another!

Local club is Emmets but they all played for Tallaght teams.

Good point about low participation rates. That applies to all sports in urban areas, not just GAA in Dublin and is symptom of social breakdown in my opinion. Only a minority of young fellas play any sport now. It is different in rural areas where there is less of a breakdown in family and communities and people see the club as central to all of that. You could play minor for Dublin here and no-one would know!

Sorry I thought he was from Thomas Davis. Didn't know they all lived so close!
    Don't know how I left out St Annes sorry, I remember playing them a number of times and Walsh was my favourite player on that team. Missed him badly vs Down few years before that.

Interesting enough it was a management issue that year when Walsh went off early we put curren who was playing very well in the half back line into corner back where he had a howler on Linden.

These management decisions were used to call us chokers until O''Neill popped up, won it (with the same players) and then left!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »

But take Ballymun Kickhams as an example. A club set up by country men that wanted to play football.

It nearly went under a few years ago, nothing happening. Then some if the older lads from the area, Paddy Christie etc got the show back on the road. They have three starters on the team now. Had there been no tradition of the GAA there the club might have died.
    Look back at the teams from the 1970s it's about 80% the same clubs and schools being represented.

Cracking post Stoner ..would you believe that Paddy Christie was only a young fella when he recognised we'd taken our eye off the development of our underage players - himself, Val Andrews and Declan Small are probably the reason the club is still alive. The slow slide began late 80's, meltdown in early 90's - it hit me particularly hard - I had to go to Erins Isle to hurl :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sorry I thought he was from Thomas Davis. Didn't know they all lived so close!
    Don't know how I left out Said Annes sorry, I remember playing them a number of times and Walsh was my favourite player on that team. Missed him badly vs Down few years before that.

Interesting enough it was a management issue that year when Walsh went off early we put curren who was playing very well in the half back line into corner back where he had a howler on Linden.

These management decisions were used to call us chokers until O''Neill popped up, won it (with the same players) and then left!!

Foran did play with Davis. Emmets only had one adult junior team and kids teams - Niall Quinn played for them - so they were obviously picked up from schools although I think Ciaran's Da had connection to Annes so that was how he ended up there. Ciaran Whelan was another Greenhills lad who played with Dublin for a while (not THE Ciaran Whelan obviously :-) . Can't recall what club he was with, and a few locals were on 1983 ~All Ireland minor hurling final team but they played with Good Counsel in Drimnagh.

Just wondering if anyone has watched either of the 2 Roscommon games so far and being struck how remarkably similar they are to Dublin in their general play. Their play in attack with strong ball carriers and supporting angled runners looks like something out of Jim Gavins book. I don't know how they'll fare as the season wears on but right now I'm rightly impressed - if I was to have a 2nd favourite team it would be Roscommon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

You could also note that in our last qualifying soccer games , five Dublin soccer players started, one scot and two Englishmen. So out of 8 Irishmen 5 were from Dublin.

It's a fair point, I've nothing against mayo at all but when was the last time a Mayo man lined out for Ireland in soccer? I won't do the same for rugby because I know so little about it.

This was always the case though, once in the 70's when Dublin were all Ireland champions they fielded 11 Dublin players in the international soccer team. So that's not new

My own area in north city centre more or less lost its club, joined up with a team 5KM up the road and the school has no hurling and little football in it anymore. The pitch we played on is gone too, sold for development.

The big advancement has been in hurling teams imo, the teams on the southside have grown significantly.

Also looking at our football teams. Largely its the same old clubs producing the players that were around years ago, there's four or five lads with fathers who won all Ireland's on the team. Rock, Brogan, McCaffery, McCarthy. Same old established clubs, same old schools. That's tradition. Every manager for Dublin I remember that won All Ireland's had one as a player and that's five different managers. I think four of the five were from Vincent's.

These new big areas do not have a tradition of GAA in them, many have no teams. No history of the game, no heros, that is essentially what the game was built on, your school, parish and area, many of the newer areas in Dublin have no identity.

There is an estate near me, 2200 housing units, no club, no pitch, Zero representation with the nearest clubs.

When we won the all Ireland in 1995 I think Dave Foran was on the squad, I could be wrong but I think he was the only player from tallaght on the team, that area at the time had more people in it than north side Dublin. That would be teams like Na Fianna, Vincent's, Ballymun Kickhams etc, Parnell's they are the same old clubs now. The tallaght lads had Carruth as a hero followed by our best soccer players of a generation Dunne, Keane, Duff.

There has been huge growth and some new lads coming in from the traditional south side clubs too. Dublin have a decent hurling team now.

We have advantages but saying we have 1.3 in the same way mayo have 100k is way off the mark. We have more people playing the game alright, we also have more country people and foreign people here too.

Throw in Cork , Meath, Cavan, Mayo Monaghan and that what I can remember from an estate with 50 houses, off hand that I knew of.

I spent lots of time in the West of Ireland growing up, I was lucky. Football was the only game in town and if you weren't from the area you were a blow in.

Counties like Meath and kildare get stick about population too, but a lot of the increase is into new areas with no tradition of GAA, it will take years for those counties to start to get players from these areas.

In 2013 Dublin beat Mayo by 1 point. Higgins the man mentioned as your most inspirational player was left marking an injured Dublin player, our full back thought it was still 2011 , our corner back had lumps knocked off him. Mayo's line and management messed up that day. They've messed up since against Kerry and in 2012 was there for them too, nothing to do with Dublin.
    As you know I'm a big fan of the Mayo team, had you won in 2013 we wouldn't be posting here now, that's how close it is. In 2012 Donegal beat Mayo, Mayo have beaten them well twice since, the chances were there. IMO the leadership just didn't get it right.

Epic post Stoner,really eloquent and knowledgeable.Sure we always knew that!;)

Totally agree with the belief that until we find enough quality up front we shan't be winning any All Ireland.Not convinced we've unearthed enough this winter.. Having said that Diarmuid O Connor is quality and alongside his brother,Aidan O Shea and his younger brother Conor who has great potential there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

seligehgit wrote:
    Diarmuid O Connor is quality and alongside his brother,Aidan O Shea and his younger brother Conor who has great potential

Thanks seligehgit.

Diarmuid and Conor are flying alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Foran did play with Davis. Emmets only had one adult junior team and kids teams - Niall Quinn played for them - so they were obviously picked up from schools although I think Ciaran's Da had connection to Annes so that was how he ended up there. Ciaran Whelan was another Greenhills lad who played with Dublin for a while (not THE Ciaran Whelan obviously :-) . Can't recall what club he was with, and a few locals were on 1983 ~All Ireland minor hurling final team but they played with Good Counsel in Drimnagh.

You could be thinking of Brian Whelan? Played with St James Gaels then transferred to Annes. Was a sub in 95 when Dublin won all ireland. Later played for Wicklow along with his brother David

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has watched either of the 2 Roscommon games so far and being struck how remarkably similar they are to Dublin in their general play. Their play in attack with strong ball carriers and supporting angled runners looks like something out of Jim Gavins book. I don't know how they'll fare as the season wears on but right now I'm rightly impressed - if I was to have a 2nd favourite team it would be Roscommon :D

At least 9 or 10 players Roscommon players have played with DCU at some stage. Must have picked up a few pointers ☺

• Advertisement

Think David Foran retired after 92/93. Paul Curran was only player from Tallaght that started final in 95. Tallaght west and Ballyfermot are also areas with huge populations who have no tradition of GAA

Gael85 wrote: »
    You could be thinking of Brian Whelan? Played with St James Gaels then transferred to Annes. Was a sub in 95 when Dublin won all ireland. Later played for Wicklow along with his brother David

Is that the Dave Whelan that worked with Pillar as a mind guru type fella I wonder?

Is that the Dave Whelan that worked with Pillar as a mind guru type fella I wonder?

Yes that's the same David Whelan

Cheers Gael you definitely know yer onions

Yes. I knew I wasn't losing it altogether :)

Although I thought it had been David who played for Dublin?

Their da like Paul Bealin's da was from Wicklow but I didn't even know they had played with them.

There was some talent in Greenhills. Kerr the soccer manager lived there - might still do in fact - and was involved with Emmets and then James Gaels when they amalgamated. And we have an Olympic gold medallist around the corner in the Carruths :)

• Advertisement

Yes. I knew I wasn't losing it altogether :)

Although I thought it had been David who played for Dublin?

Their da like Paul Bealin's da was from Wicklow but I didn't even know they had played with them.

There was some talent in Greenhills. Kerr the soccer manager lived there - might still do in fact - and was involved with Emmets and then James Gaels when they amalgamated. And we have an Olympic gold medallist around the corner in the Carruths :)

Looked it up there David Whelan played with Dublin in 89. Brian Kerr was never involved with St James Gaels. I was playing when clubs amalgamated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Think David Foran retired after 92/93. Paul Curran was only player from Tallaght that started final in 95. Tallaght west and Ballyfermot are also areas with huge populations who have no tradition of GAA

It was this lack of tradition that got me into playing GAA in 1992 with Liffey Gaels and subsequently Good Counsel and Ballyfermot De La Salle.

Ha ha. Why do say that? I'm sure he's not overly enamoured with us when we beat Kerry but its hardly far fetched to say Dublin play an attractive brand of football that purists might appreciate.

He's hardly threatened by us either with 5 All Ireland medals and 5 All stars in his arse pocket.

Don't believe a word out of of any of the Kerry Media Mafia, especially if their last name is O'Se. Their propaganda mode will be set to Def Con five, for the next 8 months. We are the greatest thing since sliced bread, we play the game the way it should be played, there is nothing more beautiful to watch, when we are in full flight.... blah, blah, blah.....

When we have so much smoked blown up our arses, that we believe in all the hype....BOOM in they'll come and take us out in the semi finals, on their way to another handy win over Mayo in the final. (Preceded of course, by loads of "Shure we'll barely be able to keep it kicked out to the mighty Dubs/this is Mayo's year" guff beforehand.) That'll be their plan anyway. :rolleyes:

Tomas O'Se may say he likes watching us play. But he'd happily see Kerry park the bus and beat us 0-2 to 0-1, if it gets them any closer to winning Sam.

Only getting to reply now. Was still in Mayo. The hotel wifi was about as reliable as the Mayo forward line. :p

But seriously Liffey Gaels aren't tallaght, we use to play them in the 15 acres in the park right beside our old club pitch in the hurling grounds. That's inner city Kilmainham, played them regularly in fact we use to get changed in our changing room and walk down the hill.

You know what I mean about Tallaght, the new part D24. Good Counsel is Drimagh no ? Dublin 12 not 24. Ballyfermot would be D10. It would be a fair statement that the county board missed a trick in the early days in D24.
    I wouldn't have considered greenhills to be D24 tallaght either , I thought it was more walkinstown or it's own area, or maybe that's just my friends from there being snobby.

Were there big transfer fees involved with the moves Bonniestation? Players plus cash ? 

Looked it up there David Whelan played with Dublin in 89. Brian Kerr was never involved with St James Gaels. I was playing when clubs amalgamated

He was definitely with Emmets. I met him around 1998 after an international and was sure he said he was still involved but I was very piseed :)

Never suggested Greenhills was Tallaght Stoner, but for various reasons quite a lot of players from area ended up with Tallaght clubs. Don't think there was any senior football team in D12 in 90s. Crumlin and Counsel were still senior hurling but football would have been second thought with them.

Greenhills comp had a good school team as well in 80s, don't think they have anything now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wouldn't have considered greenhills to be D24 tallaght either , I thought it was more walkinstown or it's own area, or maybe that's just my friends from there being snobby.
    e

Greenhills is D12 its generally thrown in with Walkinstown but really its its own area. It also produced a load of LOI players over the years and salmocab played a lot of very poor rugby very badly, really is phenomenal breeding ground for sport:D

Greenhills comp had a good school team as well in 80s, don't think they have anything now.

Comp has much smaller numbers now, don't know if they play football but they still have a soccer as I see their pitch gets marked regularly.

So where does Perrystown fit into the jigsaw ... I remember playing Manortown Boys when I was with Tolka Rovers, and I remember playing Niall Quinn in Table Tennis in the community centre there ... but for the life of me can't remember a GAA team :confused:

So where does Perrystown fit into the jigsaw ... I remember playing Manortown Boys when I was with Tolka Rovers, and I remember playing Niall Quinn in Table Tennis in the community centre there ... but for the life of me can't remember a GAA team :confused:

Perrystown is part of the parish, the community centre is in the field where Robert Emmets play and across the road from the field where Manortown United play, they share a clubhouse now behind the community centre but Im pretty sure its just dressing rooms.

He was definitely with Emmets. I met him around 1998 after an international and was sure he said he was still involved but I was very piseed :)

Never suggested Greenhills was Tallaght Stoner, but for various reasons quite a lot of players from area ended up with Tallaght clubs. Don't think there was any senior football team in D12 in 90s. Crumlin and Counsel were still senior hurling but football would have been second thought with them.

St James Gaels were senior in the 90s up to around 2003. Made last 8 of senior of champ around 99.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement