Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

salmocab wrote: »
    Greenhills is D12 its generally thrown in with Walkinstown but really its its own area. It also produced a load of LOI players over the years and salmocab played a lot of very poor rugby very badly, really is phenomenal breeding ground for sport:D

Buckley of Rovers was from Greenhills. Paul Brogan who was international underage goalkeeper played with UCD in the famous games against Everton in mid 80s. Think he might have played in England for while?

Paul Quirke the Olympian shot putter was in comp but think he lived in Perrystown. He was caught doping in the States :) Comp got to All Ireland soccer schools final and won Dublin gaelic football one year. Hurling never really took off despite some good club players including Dubs in the school.

Funny story regarding rugby and the comp. When I was there we played among ourselves for a while and the sports teacher - chap called Cassidy from Fermanagh of all places who was mad into GAA and athletics - decided to enter team in Leinster Junior Cup. Application was turned down!

We were clearly not the right sort of chaps to be playing the rugger ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bonniedog wrote: »

We were clearly not the right sort of chaps to be playing the rugger ...

I went to the comp and played rugby for 30 years so maybe Pat Cassidy just lied to ye. Greenhills is an odd aul area its really soccer mad but is so close to so many big GAA clubs, Judes And St Endas are only up the road as is Faughs, Crumlin is close too but Emmets never seem to have big numbers, maybe the bigger clubs are hovering up the players.

salmocab wrote: »
    I went to the comp and played rugby for 30 years so maybe Pat Cassidy just lied to ye. Greenhills is an odd aul area its really soccer mad but is so close to so many big GAA clubs, Judes And St Endas are only up the road as is Faughs, Crumlin is close too but Emmets never seem to have big numbers, maybe the bigger clubs are hovering up the players.

This was 1978/9. Nearly 40 years ago. Perhaps he lied but it sounded true at the time!

He was only teacher that showed any interest in sport that I recall. A lot of the teachers were mad as box of frogs, and dangerous some of them too!

I played with Emmets same time as Quinn was there. There was little interest in hurling - I remember playing I think a minor match where ages ranged between 13 and 18 with a few 20 year olds thrown in! A few of us ended up with Counsel then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

This was 1978/9. Nearly 40 years ago. Perhaps he lied but it sounded true at the time!

He was only teacher that showed any interest in sport that I recall. A lot of the teachers were mad as box of frogs, and dangerous some of them too!

I played with Emmets same time as Quinn was there. There was little interest in hurling - I remember playing I think a minor match where ages ranged between 13 and 18 with a few 20 year olds thrown in! A few of us ended up with Counsel then.

Was Greaser there in your time?I went to the comp too. :D Cassidy was big into the running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Barney Rock, Anto McCaul, Dermot Deasy, Mick Deegan, Ian Robertson, Gerry Hargan, John Kearns, James McCarthy, Conor McHugh & DoctaDee - St. Kevins CBS Ballygall ;)

Gael85 wrote: »
    Was Greaser there in your time?I went to the comp too. :D Cassidy was big into the running

Greaser sort of rings a bell but can't put a name to him... or her :)

There was the Mouse, Killer O'Shea, Shakey McPhilips (who left Special Branch to become teacher, appropriately enough for the comp), Shaper Collinge, the Jellybean Jive, and Rashers who used to drink in the class room when he distracted us!

Mad fkn school.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Barney Rock, Anto McCaul, Dermot Deasy, Mick Deegan, Ian Robertson, Gerry Hargan, John Kearns, James McCarthy, Conor McHugh & DoctaDee - St. Kevins CBS Ballygall ;)

We used to leave all our keys and money at home when we played in Finglas :)

We used to leave all our keys and money at home when we played in Finglas :)

We had a lot of lads that would've minded them for ya !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

And Ger Brennan teaches there. :)

• Advertisement

Oh right .. for some reason I thought Ger Brennan was a teacher in St. Vincents Glasnevin. I also forgot Fran Ryder he was the PE teacher in Kevins at the time tho he was gone within a year of me getting there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Get Brennan isn't teaching any more. He took up Dave Billings job of GAA development officer (not sure of the correct title) out in UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Some of you have probably seen it already, but I just came across this great interview with Philly McMahon done with Ger Gilroy on Setanta. He talks about everything from his 2015 in football to the work he does in the community around Ballymun. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PressRun wrote: »
    Some of you have probably seen it already, but I just came across this great interview with Philly McMahon done with Ger Gilroy on Setanta. He talks about everything from his 2015 in football to the work he does in the community around Ballymun. Worth a watch.

He comes across very well.A very pleasant,well adjusted young man.Pretty modest and humble with regard to his achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Oh right .. for some reason I thought Ger Brennan was a teacher in St. Vincents Glasnevin. I also forgot Fran Ryder he was the PE teacher in Kevins at the time tho he was gone within a year of me getting there

Cluxton teaches in St Vincents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »
    But seriously Liffey Gaels aren't tallaght, we use to play them in the 15 acres in the park right beside our old club pitch in the hurling grounds. That's inner city Kilmainham, played them regularly in fact we use to get changed in our changing room and walk down the hill.

You know what I mean about Tallaght, the new part D24. Good Counsel is Drimagh no ? Dublin 12 not 24. Ballyfermot would be D10. It would be a fair statement that the county board missed a trick in the early days in D24.
    I wouldn't have considered greenhills to be D24 tallaght either , I thought it was more walkinstown or it's own area, or maybe that's just my friends from there being snobby.

Were there big transfer fees involved with the moves Bonniestation? Players plus cash ? 

Liffey Gaels is most certainly in Ballyfermot. All though right on the tip bordering Inchicore and Islandbridge.

As a Ballyfermot lower resident it was only natural I would play for them.

Some time around my Junior Cert though I ended up at Good Counsel. No idea how that came about. Mad memory of watching Celta Vigo and Aston Villa in the clubhouse one Thursday after training. Valery Karpin and Alexander Mostovoi were Gods!

Then ended up at Ballyfermot De La Salle to finish out the career. Crossing Kylemore Road for football was quite the daring-do.

---

Perrystown was always just Walkinstown for me.

Like Dún Laoghaire/Sallynoggin/Glenageary/Monkstown, just one of those areas that can be anything you want it to be.

• Advertisement

Liffey Gaels is most certainly in Ballyfermot. All though right on the tip bordering Inchicore and Islandbridge.

As a Ballyfermot lower resident it was only natural I would play for them.

Some time around my Junior Cert though I ended up at Good Counsel. No idea how that came about. Mad memory of watching Celta Vigo and Aston Villa in the clubhouse one Thursday after training. Valery Karpin and Alexander Mostovoi were Gods!

Then ended up at Ballyfermot De La Salle to finish out the career. Crossing Kylemore Road for football was quite the daring-do.

---

Perrystown was always just Walkinstown for me.

Like Dún Laoghaire/Sallynoggin/Glenageary/Monkstown, just one of those areas that can be anything you want it to be.

Brother in law is from Perrystown and they used to put Terenure, Dublin 6 as their address :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

"Glasnevin in a Job Interview, Ballymun in a row."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jaden wrote: »
    "Glasnevin in a Job Interview, Ballymun in a row."

That's Glasnevin heights to you. :P

Glasnevin, if you need the existence of the Berliner explained to you.

Ballymun, if you're the one doing the explaining.

Philly is gonna be on the Late Late tonight.

Vote Philly No 1 ! :D

• Advertisement

How did Philly do?

I see Dotsie down to start at full forward against Tipp tonight. I assume he is on Boden bench so he'll be booting it down to Thurles at 6 o'clock!

Boden are surely a good bet to beat Commercials who were very lucky to beat Nemo in the Munster final. Boden themselves were fortunate against Portlaoise that your man made a bollix of the free, but should have had that game in the bag early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    I see Dotsie down to start at full forward against Tipp tonight. I assume he is on Boden bench so he'll be booting it down to Thurles at 6 o'clock!

Said he's not playing anymore football now, all hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus Boden made hard work of that. I don't know why kerins let Keaney take the frees, his radar was way off.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What an equaliser by Darragh Nelson, showed great leadership. I didn't think BB would do it when they went two points down in the second half, clonmel were doing a fine job in defence but it must have taken too much out of them they had nothing left in the tank for the last 10 minutes and all of extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Awful scrappy against Tipp so far. I see we're persisting with the silly hand passing. Going to be a long campaign to suffer through if this keeps up.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Well ballcocks...that's yet another Paddys Day in Croker for me so. Maybe one of these years, I'll get to see 5 minutes of the parade. I hear it's great craic. :rolleyes:

Well done 'Boden. Showed a lot of grit and determination to come from behind and grind out the win. They had some similar wins over Vincents and Plunketts in the Dublin champo (far better teams than any you'd see in Leinster imo) and they really stood to them today. Once they got the draw, you could tell their tails were up, the Clonmel heads started to drop & it was game over then.

Absolutely epic pt by Daragh Nelson. Talk about ice in the veins. Conal Keaney owes him a pint every day, for the rest of his life.

But dear God, all those wides....they'll get absolutely luthered (I've no idea what it means, it sounded great after the AI final) if they keep that up against Castlebar.

The less said about the hurlers the better. I know it's only February, but they looked very shapeless. It's disappointing & perplexing after a great Walsh Cup. Very strange seeing Danny Sutcliffe just sitting there, while where other commentators talk about " all the players Dublin are missing...."

I can't see Ballyboden winning the All Ireland. Clonmel didn't score for nearly half an hour including extra time. Castlebar won't be as bad.

Horror show for the hurlers. Be doing well to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Nothing worse than getting a wake call in June or July... So plenty of time now for the hurlers to change tactics like revising their short game which looked ridiculous. How could the management continue with this game plan.

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Nothing worse than getting a wake call in June or July... So plenty of time now for the hurlers to change tactics like revising their short game which looked ridiculous. How could the management continue with this game plan.

It worked well in Walsh Cup but as I said above danger is that if you play that sort of high risk game you are setting yourself up to be destroyed by the likes of the Cats. You don't see them contesting their own ball on their own 40!

I can see where GC is coming from but lets face it. Dooley is not Donal Óg and he has no Sean Ógs, Gardiners or O'Connors to pick out with his puck outs. Nor do opposing forwards and midfielders withdraw helpfully to facilitate such a plan as teams might have done before Cody copped on to it and had his half forwards in the faces of the half backs for 70 minutes.

Was inclined to be optimistic after the Galway game but tonight was kust a fkn disaster. No two ways about it.

Davys Fits wrote: »

I just can't see the management changing tatics at this stage. Last night was made for just letting it in long and let the forwards fight for possesion, ie exactly what Tipp did.

Against the top teams we're just not going to get the time on the ball for this fancy hand passing stuff and we'll continue to be opened up off the back of our own mistakes. We have a good enough team not be getting bate out the gate by that kind of scoreline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

JRant wrote: »
    I just can't see the management changing tatics at this stage. Last night was made for just letting it in long and let the forwards fight for possesion, ie exactly what Tipp did.

Against the top teams we're just not going to get the time on the ball for this fancy hand passing stuff and we'll continue to be opened up off the back of our own mistakes. We have a good enough team not be getting bate out the gate by that kind of scoreline.

He better change something, cos if that kind of scoreline is repeated come summer he'll be getting changed

Bambi wrote: »
    He better change something, cos if that kind of scoreline is repeated come summer he'll be getting changed

Just can't see it happening to be honest. There's a lot of unrest in the camp and I think he'll be gone by the end of the summer barring a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

JRant wrote: »

Tbf it really wouldn't have mattered. They were better than us in facet of the game. Launching it long would resulted in their half back line winning even more ball. We were over matched too when it came to fighting for possession.

corny wrote: »
    Tbf it really wouldn't have mattered. They were better than us in facet of the game. Launching it long would resulted in their half back line winning even more ball. We were over matched too when it came to fighting for possession.

Trying to play through that Tipp half back line was stupidity personified though.

Tipp just let it in to the inside forwards time and again with great joy. Why we persisted with trying to play through a strong Tipp midfield and half back line is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

The hurlers have played that short passing game for the whole Walsh Cup and it worked very well. They played Galway off the pitch a few weeks ago in Parnell Park and things were really looking up for us.

The issue yesterday was not our tactics it was the basic things and primarily our touch. Tipp were able to lift the ball first time, their first touch was at close to Championship pace and for the most part their striking was far cleaner and crisper than ours. In contrast it took us several attempts to lift the ball, our handpasses were deplorable, mainly down at the feet and our touch was poor.

There was something else wrong yesterday other than our tactics. We looked as if we hadn't played a game in about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Anyone got a steer on whether I'd need to book tix in advance for the Dubs game in Parnell Pk this Sat vs Galway?

Or should there be a few on the gate?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Shalamov wrote: »
    Anyone got a steer on whether I'd need to book tix in advance for the Dubs game in Parnell Pk this Sat vs Galway?

Thanks in advance!

I'd be very surprised if ye couldn't pay in at the gate. They'll probably have a ticket van parked outside from a few hours before.

You won't have any trouble getting a ticket on the day. Although if you leave it until the last minute, there is a chance the covered stand will be full & you'll have to stand on the one of the terraces.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You won't have any trouble getting a ticket on the day. Although if you leave it until the last minute, there is a chance the covered stand will be full & you'll have to stand on the one of the terraces.

I was assuming it would be pay at the gate like the Walsh Cup.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    The hurlers have played that short passing game for the whole Walsh Cup and it worked very well. They played Galway off the pitch a few weeks ago in Parnell Park and things were really looking up for us.

The issue yesterday was not our tactics it was the basic things and primarily our touch. Tipp were able to lift the ball first time, their first touch was at close to Championship pace and for the most part their striking was far cleaner and crisper than ours. In contrast it took us several attempts to lift the ball, our handpasses were deplorable, mainly down at the feet and our touch was poor.

There was something else wrong yesterday other than our tactics. We looked as if we hadn't played a game in about 6 months.
    I think the Dublin hurlers are a different animal when playing in Parnell Park. Small tight pitch really suits them. But when they go bigger grounds they get found out. A lot of a larger area to close down players.

I was assuming it would be pay at the gate like the Walsh Cup.

Yep.

Just remembered about the the same fixture last year at PP. I got there just before throw in & had no problem getting a seat in the stand. It was down at the golf course end of the stand, but t'was a seat none the less and there were loads of empty ones around me during the game. It's sad really, how small the crowds for the hurlers are. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Yep.

Just remembered about the the same fixture last year at PP. I got there just before throw in & had no problem getting a seat in the stand. It was down at the golf course end of the stand, but t'was a seat none the less and there were loads of empty ones around me during the game. It's sad really, how small the crowds for the hurlers are. :(

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Shalamov wrote: »

Thanks in advance!
    Its €15 on the day or €10 beforehand. I know which one I'd be choosing if I was going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Anyone hear anything after last nights meeting re. ditching O'Neills & going to a Continental Kit manufacturer?

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/dublin-gaa-on-the-brink-of-signing-a-huge-new-jersey-deal/64368

I think the Dublin hurlers are a different animal when playing in Parnell Park. Small tight pitch really suits them. But when they go bigger grounds they found out. A lot of a larger area to close down players.

Parnell definitely suits them better. Unbeaten there in something like six years if I am not mistaken. Unfortunately the Galway match is the only Parnell game in league as the other home game will be in front of 2,306 people against Cork before a few more thousand straggle in to see the footballers. Why they have a double header in CP against one of the worst supported counties in the country is a fkn mystery to me, but there you go ....

Crowds are decent enough ProudDub when they are playing division One teams. A big crowd in Parnell creates a much better atmosphere and seems to lift them more than playing in front of a 90% empty Croke Park before the footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I know that they were supposed to be discussing the jersey at a meeting last night. It seems very odd that nothing has been said about it by them this morning...

Did the meeting actually go ahead? I was in Parnell Park last night and it didn't seem like there was a meeting on, it was rather quiet.

A couple of hours ago, one of the Dublin fan site tweeted that the DCB had signed a new 3 year deal with O'Neills. Haven't seen any official announcement or confirmation of it, but is that something they would officially announce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

A couple of hours ago, one of the Dublin fan site tweeted that the DCB had signed a new 3 year deal with O'Neills. Haven't seen any official announcement or confirmation of it, but is that something they would officially announce?

It's official, http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dubs-turn-down-better-deals-to-stay-with-oneills-34460157.html

Well now that's sorted ... if I could only get me hands on a decent 3/4 length rain jacket instead of that microfibre one that O'Neills are currently pushing I'd be delighted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement