Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW TO CLAIM SUPER

Options
  • 03-01-2014 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Hey all

How would ya go about getting your super without going through a third party?

Are there any special forms?

My bro left Aus and aint coming back so I guess he can claim some of his super? 70%?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I asked the tax office about this and they gave me a form to fill out before I eventually leave the country.
    A friend quit a 457 recently and all his tax/super back in his account two weeks later, I don't know the exact sequence but once he finished up work he switched onto a tourist visa.
    Don't know what the procedure with the tax office is if you've already left the country. Does he still have an active aus bank acc?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

He can still claim it back online use a google search he can get it paid into his irish bank acc aswell , hos vida also has to be expired

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

Also going through this process at present. I only submitted a request to cancel my 457 after leaving the country, and was surprised they say it can take up to 12 weeks to process.

Here's the link to complete the DASP online:
    http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Temporary-residents/Super-information-for-temporary-residents-departing-Australia/?page=2#Online_claims

This seems to be a better option than going through your super provider as the ATO can do your visa status checks themselves, whereas your super provider may need some extra info to confirm you've permanently left the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

lavelle72 wrote: »

This seems to be a better option than going through your super provider as the ATO can do your visa status checks themselves, whereas your super provider may need some extra info to confirm you've permanently left the country.

Just also note, however, that when you Super is transferred to the ATO it no longer will earn any income for you (if you have built up a large fund, you are missing out on what could be significant interest income by letting it roll to the ATO. With the continued drop in interest rates at the moment, it may not be as relevant but your fund size will be the determining factor)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I have just competed the online DASP process it was easy however they never asked me for details of a bank account to deposit fund into. Do they just send me a Cheque in the post or ask me to provide details when the claim is processed?

• Advertisement

danotroy wrote: »
    I have just competed the online DASP process it was easy however they never asked me for details of a bank account to deposit fund into. Do they just send me a Cheque in the post or ask me to provide details when the claim is processed?

Would be interested to know this as well as I'd prefer to have it deposited into an Aussie bank account than for it to be sent via cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The payment needs to go into an Australian account - theres definitely a section for it.

kdevitt wrote: »
    The payment needs to go into an Australian account - theres definitely a section for it.

I was very thorough with my online application as I still have an Australian bank account. Maybe I missed it.

The ATO state that if you do the application online they confirm your immigration status for free.

However my Fund contacted me and said that because my fund is above $5000 I have to get DIBP to verify my immigration status at a cost of $75. I replied and told them I should be immune to this fee as I have applied online. I shall post an update when I receive a reply.

I definitely didn't have to pay to have my immigration status verified.

Now that I think about it - your Super company doesn't necessarily allow a refund through the electronic form either. So after I filled my form in, they ended up sending me an electronic form which they would only accept by post. The bank details will be requested by your super company eventually.

It was a pretty irritating ordeal in getting my money back - kept at it though.

Edit - heres a post I put up on another site which kind of explains what the super company were after:
    Just an update on the DASP situation - seems the super fund are a bit clueless about this sort of thing, which is holding up the process a bit!

The notification to release my funds was sent electronically to my super fund admin company. Unfortunately, I don't think they have access to computers in there. They're not interested in that notification, and want everything on paper - there has been a bit of toing and froing as a result, but might be helpful for anyone else subjected to the ordeal.

This includes -

A certified copy of my passport with a stamp in it showing my exit date. This is a slightly erroneous request given that your passport is no longer stamped when leaving Australia.

Next up is a certified copy of my visa. Once again, an odd request for me given that its an electronic visa.

They then provided a list of eligible identification - of which a commonwealth passport is a necessity. Given Ireland left the commonwealth in 1948, and I'm not quite that old - its another slight issue.

Having pointed out the lack of a stamp in the passport and electronic visa situation (why aren't they aware of this themselves rather than having to have it pointed out to them) they are now satisfied with me sending them the email which they were sent directly a fortnight ago. With the proviso that I send them the other ID mentioned - i.e. the certified passport and copy of visa - which I'd pointed out isn't really available anyway.

So I've bundled a load of stuff in an envelope - a printout of my visa confirmation, my Irish passport (without any departure stamp), a printout of the email they received, my Irish driving licence and am hopeful its going to get put through. Who knows though!

It seems baffling that they won't make use of the electronic visa system which anyone with internet access can use.

I used the above link to claim my super back as a friend did so last Autumn and received her payment into her account within 2 weeks at a cost of $0. Another friend did a paper application and from time of initial posting to receipt of Cheque it was in excess of 3 months at a cost of roughly 70 euros (plus the loss in currency exchange compared to currency fair).

24 hours after applying online my super company contacted me via email stating that I would have to complete a paper application and provide a certified copy of my passport due to legislation from the ATO as my fund was over $5000. I contacted the ATO who were very helpful. They said this is not the case as if you apply online the ATO automatically confirms your identification and immigration status with Dep of immi and border protection (DIBP).

I called HOSTPLUS, my super provider, where I was told by three different people that I had no choice but to complete the paper application due to ATO legislation. I recalled the ATO and told them the stance of HOSTPLUS, they repeated that there is no $ limit attached to the online process and that HOSTPLUS must be getting confused.

I again called HOSTPLUS and requested a supervisor. After 20 minutes on hold I spoke to a supervisor who claimed that in responce to fraud HOSTPLUS had put in place this system due to abuse of the system in the past. I pointed out that both the ATO and DIBP were happy that I'm me so could they please release my money. I was told that they needed my completed paper application along with a certified copy of my passport and a form 1194 (Certification of Immigration Status) from DIBP in order to release my super. I agreed that it is wise to request a certified copy of my passport for security reasons but if the ATO and DIPB are satisfied that I am out of the country why do HOSTPLUS need to know that i'm out of the country as a form of identification. I stressed that I am more than happy to send a certified copy of my passport to them via post. Certified by a Garda in Ireland with a station stamp with today's date, name and rank of garda and station phone number. This was still not enough for her so I requested to be transferred to the complaints department. After 30 minutes on hold I again had to explain my case. The department listened and basically agreed that a certified copy from Ireland would show I was not in Australia coupled with the ATO and DIBP being happy I wasn't in Australia. They are now going to try and resolve the issue with admin but I hold no hope.

I would rather proceed with the online application as if I post my certified copy of my passport tomorrow I could expect some sort of return within the next month. HOSTPLUS confirmed that they would release my fund immediately if it was below $5000.

The alternative is to complete a paper application and post it to Australia. Fill out form 1194 post that to DIBP in Hobart along with $75. Wait for DIBP to send a copy of my status of immigration to HOSTPLUS and they HOSTPLUS process my claim.

It seems as though HOSTPLUS are trying to protect my interests but their approach is misguided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Does anybody know/know of someone successfully getting their super money after leaving Australia but having been on a PR visa?

Does anybody know/know of someone successfully getting their super money after leaving Australia but having been on a PR visa?

It's more or less locked in there until you retire. I think you can get access to it if you can prove extreme financial hardship, but you might need to be in Oz for that.

I used the above link to claim my super back as a friend did so last Autumn and received her payment into her account within 2 weeks at a cost of $0. Another friend did a paper application and from time of initial posting to receipt of Cheque it was in excess of 3 months at a cost of roughly 70 euros (plus the loss in currency exchange compared to currency fair).

24 hours after applying online my super company contacted me via email stating that I would have to complete a paper application and provide a certified copy of my passport due to legislation from the ATO as my fund was over $5000. I contacted the ATO who were very helpful. They said this is not the case as if you apply online the ATO automatically confirms your identification and immigration status with Dep of immi and border protection (DIBP).

I called HOSTPLUS, my super provider, where I was told by three different people that I had no choice but to complete the paper application due to ATO legislation. I recalled the ATO and told them the stance of HOSTPLUS, they repeated that there is no $ limit attached to the online process and that HOSTPLUS must be getting confused.

I again called HOSTPLUS and requested a supervisor. After 20 minutes on hold I spoke to a supervisor who claimed that in responce to fraud HOSTPLUS had put in place this system due to abuse of the system in the past. I pointed out that both the ATO and DIBP were happy that I'm me so could they please release my money. I was told that they needed my completed paper application along with a certified copy of my passport and a form 1194 (Certification of Immigration Status) from DIBP in order to release my super. I agreed that it is wise to request a certified copy of my passport for security reasons but if the ATO and DIPB are satisfied that I am out of the country why do HOSTPLUS need to know that i'm out of the country as a form of identification. I stressed that I am more than happy to send a certified copy of my passport to them via post. Certified by a Garda in Ireland with a station stamp with today's date, name and rank of garda and station phone number. This was still not enough for her so I requested to be transferred to the complaints department. After 30 minutes on hold I again had to explain my case. The department listened and basically agreed that a certified copy from Ireland would show I was not in Australia coupled with the ATO and DIBP being happy I wasn't in Australia. They are now going to try and resolve the issue with admin but I hold no hope.

I would rather proceed with the online application as if I post my certified copy of my passport tomorrow I could expect some sort of return within the next month. HOSTPLUS confirmed that they would release my fund immediately if it was below $5000.

The alternative is to complete a paper application and post it to Australia. Fill out form 1194 post that to DIBP in Hobart along with $75. Wait for DIBP to send a copy of my status of immigration to HOSTPLUS and they HOSTPLUS process my claim.

It seems as though HOSTPLUS are trying to protect my interests but their approach is misguided.

Sounds like a nightmare, hope I don't have similar issues!

lavelle72 wrote: »
    Sounds like a nightmare, hope I don't have similar issues!

I'm refusing to do a paper application as it even says on the form 1197 that if you are doing the online application your identification is already confirmed and immigration status confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Your PR visa needs to run out (be out of country for certain period of time, 5 years I think) or else you need to contact immigration and have your visa cancelled. Then you can claim your super.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I'm in the process of claiming super back too, doing it through Taxback. Seems straight forward, They want certified copies aswell of passport with entry and exit stamp but they must be clueless that passport is not stamped with exit on leaving Oz.
    I asked would providing flight details of leaving be acceptable but they claim it's not.
    How I would I prove that I left Oz then?

STIG83 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of claiming super back too, doing it through Taxback. Seems straight forward, They want certified copies aswell of passport with entry and exit stamp but they must be clueless that passport is not stamped with exit on leaving Oz.
    I asked would providing flight details of leaving be acceptable but they claim it's not.
    How I would I prove that I left Oz then?

STIG. I cannot stress how easy it is to do online with the ATO. Do not pay Taxback.com. IIRC they charge at minimum a fee of $99 and take 20% of your claim.

I can still do it even though I'm no longer in Oz?
    Will Oz tax take a percent of it though?

I can still do it even though I'm no longer in Oz?
    Will Oz tax take a percent of it though?

Yeah you can do it from anywhere. Click the link given above and have a read about it. The ATO (OZ tax) will take a percentage no matter how you go about it.

Yeah you can do it from anywhere. Click the link given above and have a read about it. The ATO (OZ tax) will take a percentage no matter how you go about it.

About 35%? How will they get the money to me? Wire it over to my account?

Wish I hadn't contacted Taxback now, don't like the way they can be bit pushy for business.

• Advertisement

About 35%? How will they get the money to me? Wire it over to my account?

Wish I hadn't contacted Taxback now, don't like the way they can be bit pushy for business.

It depends on your super provider. My super are sending a cheque to my Irish address. However a friend of mine got his paid into his Australian account. Not sure exactly how much but 35% has been said here numerous times so I reckon its fairly accurate.

It depends on your super provider. My super are sending a cheque to my Irish address. However a friend of mine got his paid into his Australian account. Not sure exactly how much but 35% has been said here numerous times so I reckon its fairly accurate.

Is there a fee? Provider i have is AustralianSuper.

The ATO do not charge a fee but they take a percentage in tax as would happen if you got taxback to do it.

Doing the online, where it asks for the passport number, I went to Oz on an old passport and while there got it renewed.
    Which passport should I give?

Did my online application, seemed straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newlyqualifiied

Hi everyone,

I am back in Ireland after being on a WHV. This visa has expired.

I am planning to return to Australia in a few months time (this time on a partner visa).

I really want to access my super as I need the money. I have been told (by my super fund and a tax agent I know) that I can apply once I was on a temporary visa that has expired but I can see on the ATO website that they state I should also have 'permanently departed' Australia.

Has anyone been in this position and still applied for their super back? How can anyone know that they have necessarily permanently departed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I am back in Ireland after being on a WHV. This visa has expired.

I am planning to return to Australia in a few months time (this time on a partner visa).

I really want to access my super as I need the money. I have been told (by my super fund and a tax agent I know) that I can apply once I was on a temporary visa that has expired but I can see on the ATO website that they state I should also have 'permanently departed' Australia.

Has anyone been in this position and still applied for their super back? How can anyone know that they have necessarily permanently departed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

You can claim your super back and return to Australia on a different visa at a later time.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

What happens if you are a PR / Citizen, been living in Australia for 10 years have over 100k in super and you want to live in another country?

can you roll you super into an international fund? if not will it just get eaten up with taxes, account fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

What happens if you are a PR / Citizen, been living in Australia for 10 years have over 100k in super and you want to live in another country?

can you roll you super into an international fund? if not will it just get eaten up with taxes, account fees etc.

the very helpful answer is ...."it depends"

The rules of your individual fund will stipulate whether you can transfer to another fund (and whether pension rights and entitlements are also transferable)
    You will need to speak to your super provider to find out the rules governing your fund. I know of someone who had PR who's since gone back to Ireland and his super provider did not permit an international transfer to an Irish RAC so his money is here until he draws it as an Australian pension on retirement. Whether he could have done more to get the funds released, I am not sure as I don't work in super.

If you stop contributing to the fund when you left, it would be transferred to the ATO after a period of time and would no longer earn income or be liable to any further tax/mgt fees within the fund until it is accessed on retirement (effectively like putting money into a bank account that earns no interest)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

I'm not sure about transferring it abroad but it gets transferred to the care of ATO (Tax Office) after a certain period of inactivity (I think 5 years but could be less). This is done so that it doesn't get eaten up by fees. There may still be some charges but I don't think there is.

Advertisement