Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishman jailed for crash deaths

Options
  • 03-01-2014 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

I remember when this happened (the year I moved here), terrible tragedy out of a moment of stupidity. No doubt he isn't the first and won't be the last so probably a timely reminder to think before getting behind the wheel on a night out.

Ironic surname too :o

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/20590213/irishman-jailed-for-crash-deaths/
    An Irishman working in Perth had been drinking alcohol when he got behind the wheel of an overloaded car, was speeding and ran a red light moments before crashing and killing two friends.

Eamonn Mark Driver, 31, was sentenced in the Perth District Court on Friday to two years and 50 weeks in prison after being extradited from Ireland last August and pleading guilty to two counts of dangerous driving occasioning death.

He was driving six friends in October 2007 when his Toyota Corolla hit a curb and crashed, killing Irish nationals Colm Paul Reilly, 20, and 22-year-old Kiara Eileen Duncan.

Driver, who was also injured, left Perth to attend the funerals in Ireland before being charged.

When he was charged in his absence, Driver failed to appear in a Perth court in 2009 because he was recovering from a motorcycle accident in Ireland and could not travel, but did not fight an extradition order.

His lawyer submitted on Friday that "momentary inattention" caused the Perth crash because Driver turned to tell his passengers to quieten down.

In sentencing, Judge Richard Keen said Driver's behaviour leading up to the crash indicated his manner of driving and said it was a "dangerous combination" of factors that led to the accident.

The court heard Driver had disregarded comments from his passengers to slow down, although Driver claimed to have not heard them protest.

Judge Keen accepted Driver was remorseful, had empathy for the victims' families and the accident haunted him.

But he said general deterrence was important and offenders needed to know there would be little leniency for such crimes.

"There is far too much carnage on our roads," he said.

Referring to a statement from Ms Duncan's mother, Judge Keen noted she did not forgive Driver and was struggling to deal with her loss.

The court heard Driver kept a distance at Ms Duncan's funeral but sat with the family during Mr Reilly's funeral because they were close friends and the victim's family welcomed him.

Judge Keen noted prison would be difficult for Driver in Australia because he was far from family.

Driver will be eligible for parole after serving half his sentence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So in essence he will serve about 1 and a half years for the death of two people.

A little on the light side in my opinion especially since WAPOL had to get him back from Ireland. However they should have taken his passport as a bail condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Im was really shocked at how liberal attitudes to drink driving are over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Should have got life imo

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

ifeelill wrote: »
    Im was really shocked at how liberal attitudes to drink driving are over here

I agree. A little off topic perhaps but I notice here that so many people drink drive without a second thought here but people really seem to obey speed limits. Here in Melbourne when travelling at the speed limit on highways/motor ways often seems like I am the fastest driver, not like at home in Ireland. At home breaking the speed limit is more common but among my peers drink driving is such a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Judge Keen noted prison would be difficult for Driver in Australia because he was far from family.

Driver will be eligible for parole after serving half his sentence.
    FFS! The scumbag should've gotten more, especially as he tried to evade prosecution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I went to primary school with Kiara. I knew her right up until she left for Australia. I'll never forget the time she told me she was going. The girl was so excited and I was for her too, jealous to say the least as I started my first year of college.

20 years wouldn't be enough for taking her life away. Girl had everything going for her until her boyfriend went and done this.

To add insult to it he flew home before he could be prosecuted.

Coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

It's like a sentence someone would get in Ireland no deterrent whatsoever, and the judge even said there would be little leniency for such crimes!
    No mention of drink driving charges either, 2 years for killing 2 people is a disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

They're lax about drink driving because they've got a car culture. I read last week that in Perth there are more houses with 4 cars in the driveways than there are houses with no cars!

They're so dependent on the car that even though you can get done for been over the limit you still be granted an extraordinary license to stay on the road.

catbear wrote: »

They're so dependent on the car that even though you can get done for been over the limit you still be granted an extraordinary license to stay on the road.

Yeah couldn't agree more E plates are a complete joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

irishmover wrote: »

To add insult to it he flew home before he could be prosecuted.

Coward.

this is an awful story for all those involved, its generating a huge amount of discussion on the Irish in Australia facebook groups at the moment.
    my opinion is he was drunk and drove, he should feel the full force of the law.

However, why is it cowardice to skip before prosecution? its not going to bring anyone back. i think most would if they had the chance. nothing to loose other than possibly increasing the sentence if extradited. i know, a little off topic....

• Advertisement

lg123 wrote: »
    this is an awful story for all those involved, its generating a huge amount of discussion on the Irish in Australia facebook groups at the moment.
    my opinion is he was drunk and drove, he should feel the full force of the law.

However, why is it cowardice to skip before prosecution? its not going to bring anyone back. i think most would if they had the chance. nothing to loose other than possibly increasing the sentence if extradited. i know, a little off topic....

The newspapers made it seem as if he was going home for the funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

ifeelill wrote: »
    The newspapers made it seem as if he was going home for the funeral

He flew home because he was told to. He tried to evade prosecution and if memory serves he was not at Kiara's funeral (but that might be because her mother didn't want him there).

Most people in my area believed he fled Australia to try avoid prosecution. But just like the newspapers it's rumors.

If it was just for the funerals why didn't he go back to Australia to face his actions?

Also to lg, you don't think it's cowardly to flee a country after you've committed a serious crime? I was always raised in the idea that if you ****ed up you take the consequences of that **** up. Not try hide from it.

Reading back I actually can't believe what you're writing. You're basically saying it's ok to do a runner if you've killed someone? That most people are scum and incapable of facing their actions infront of a judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I read that thread he has quite the fan club doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

irishmover wrote: »
    He flew home because he was told to. He tried to evade prosecution and if memory serves he was not at Kiara's funeral (but that might be because her mother didn't want him there).

Most people in my area believed he fled Australia to try avoid prosecution. But just like the newspapers it's rumors.

If it was just for the funerals why didn't he go back to Australia to face his actions?

Also to lg, you don't think it's cowardly to flee a country after you've committed a serious crime? I was always raised in the idea that if you ****ed up you take the consequences of that **** up. Not try hide from it.

Reading back I actually can't believe what you're writing. You're basically saying it's ok to do a runner if you've killed someone? That most people are scum and incapable of facing their actions infront of a judge.

just to make my position clear, i am not condoning any of this guys actions.

i'm not saying its ok to do a runner if you've killed someone. this was an accident caused by a stupid decision to get behind the wheel when drunk. i am not fully up to speed with this instance but i don't think there was any initial intent to cause harm to anyone.

if it was me who was diving that car, knowing that my actions caused the death of two people would be a far more significant consequence than a few years behind bars. to be honest, if i thought it would wipe my conscience, i would probably jump at jail time.

in this instance, what i believe would have, and probably now will happen is the driver will serve the jail time, and then return to Ireland. there will be no implications to the persons driving privileges in Ireland.

my earlier point was being more whats to be gained by him serving the jail time. there are two aspects to this in my opinion, firstly some closure for the friends and family of the deceased in knowing someone paid the price for their untimely deaths, and secondly the driver was taught a lesson to not do it again. considering the sentences given, i think the judge may have deemed the lesson had already been learnt. the first point is where skipping the country gets a bit sticky, I'm just not sure if 'cowardice' covers this thought process.

Advertisement