Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud alert!! Paid €100 for tom ford sunglasses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Truth wins

Thanks for that. I will read all the terms and conditions and will follow up with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A debit card? You are on less solid ground unfortunately. I always use a credit card (other than booking travel) when shopping on the internet as there is far more protection.

The fact that it is a VISA debit card might help

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A debit card? You are on less solid ground unfortunately. I always use a credit card (other than booking travel) when shopping on the internet as there is far more protection.

The fact that it is a VISA debit card might help

Once you spend your own money they don't care. IIRC if your CC is in credit you don't have as much protection when using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Del2005 wrote: »
    Once you spend your own money they don't care. IIRC if your CC is in credit you don't have as much protection when using it.

Not entirely true - debit cards have some protection, too. The thing is that the scammers running these "sales" are smart and know the procedures. Before you and your bank get to the bottom of this they are gone.
    They have proof of postage and - as i said before - the bank requires you to send the item back to them. Not an easy way to do this when no address is provided;)
    It sucks, but lesson is not to use websites like the one the OP used. The process of getting the money back is long, and most give up sooner than later.

I do agree with you that with a credit card there is a greater protection, and it is always better to use it, especially when dealing with an overseas sellers. But let's point it out - you don't just request a chargeback, they do have to investigate it and make sure it is legitimate request. Those transactions do take some time to be checked - weeks rather than days.

Advertisement