Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheds and Greenhouses

• 03-01-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

We moved into a house last year and having done (most of....) the inside of house, this year I want to turn my attention to the garden.

There is an old barna type shed there but it is started to fall apart, the felt is literally flying off the roof in the strong winds we have been having.
    I have been looking around and these new metal ones covered in plastic seem good, green colour to blend in and no (or very little) maintenance on them.
    Any one got one of these and what is a reasonable price for them. I not that i have to put down a concrete base for them but I do not mind doing that. looking at about 8ft X 10ft.

Also looking at getting a greenhouse. I guess a small to medium one 4ft X 6ft or there abouts. Any suggestions on where to get them or what an average amount to pay for one would be.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

If your going to the bother of putting down a base,would you consider this ?

Price list & Brochure on the web page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'd recommend 8 x 6 as a minimum size for a greenhouse. As for what type etc your budget would dictate this. If there are kids around that could affect your choice too. You could opt for toughened glass or polycarbonate to avoid disasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

redser7 wrote: »
    I'd recommend 8 x 6 as a minimum size for a greenhouse. As for what type etc your budget would dictate this. If there are kids around that could affect your choice too. You could opt for toughened glass or polycarbonate to avoid disasters.

Could have it as a lean too to the proposed concrete shed bit of a saving there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭tango9

Thanos wrote: »
    We moved into a house last year and having done (most of....) the inside of house, this year I want to turn my attention to the garden.

There is an old barna type shed there but it is started to fall apart, the felt is literally flying off the roof in the strong winds we have been having.
    I have been looking around and these new metal ones covered in plastic seem good, green colour to blend in and no (or very little) maintenance on them.
    Any one got one of these and what is a reasonable price for them. I not that i have to put down a concrete base for them but I do not mind doing that. looking at about 8ft X 10ft.

Also looking at getting a greenhouse. I guess a small to medium one 4ft X 6ft or there abouts. Any suggestions on where to get them or what an average amount to pay for one would be.

Thanks!

During the summer I got one of these it was a 5m x 3m shed and came in at just under €2000 at the time (I did not go for the insulated option). Spent another €600 on a concrete base.

after living with just a small wooden shed for years I'm really happy with the purchase and I cannot recommend them enough.

There are some minor disadvantages with the version I have but I had done my research before I bought and realised I could live happily without the insulation.

The shed can be very warm inside during hot summer days and is cold inside during winter months but the insulated package would solve this if thats your thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Check out the plastic Keter sheds in Argos and also the metal. We got the small argos own brand 6 x 4 Pent Metal shed last year on offer and it's a great little shed.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=shed&authToken=%252d1002%252c8RvTgzRQUIkiaCQg1wd0wg264Io%253d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

KK4SAM wrote: »
    If your going to the bother of putting down a base,would you consider this ?

Price list & Brochure on the web page.
    It would be money well spent getting a concrete shed,last for years..prices don't look to bad either..

For the green house I would recommend 4mx2m minimum if you plan on putting in anything like tomatoes in it..I struggled with my 4x2 last year and seriously thinking if going bigger..have a look on eBay I got mine for about 120 inc p+p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

If space is tight you could try a potting shed that would serve both purposes.

Advertisement